A Journey of Love

Guest charlie29

Thanks for all the comments, I love reading them :)

Chapter 26 - Back to Work

Charlie walked into her office and sat down at the desk. She sighed as she started to sort through the files on her desk. It had been hard leaving the house this morning. Angelo was at home looking after Joseph, but she felt guilty leaving her baby so soon. But it was nice to be back at work and around adult company. Charlie was interrupted out of her thoughts by a knock on the door.

"Morning Charlie, welcome back! No peace for the wicked I'm afraid, there's been reports of a robbery in a shop in town. We're needed down there" Watson stated.

"Good Morning Watson, I take it that's me and you then?" Charlie sighed.

"Sure is Boss"

Twenty minutes later and whilst Watson was taking a statement from the owners of the shop, Charlie was taking a look round the premises, making sure it was safe. As she walked around, memories of the robbery she was caught up whilst on holiday with Angelo a few months before came flooding back to her. Charlie shook her head and tried to think of something else. Then flashbacks of the hostage situation where she thought Angelo had died started to prey on her mind. She began to heavy breathe, and found herself collapsing to the floor. In the distance, Charlie could hear Watson calling for her, but was unable to answer. Memories kept attacking her mind, and Charlie was finding it harder and harder to breathe. The next thing she knew was that Watson was sitting next to her, holding her hand.

"Hey Charlie. The ambulance is on it's way. Just keep calm" Watson said.

"Ambulance? What for? What's going on?" Charlie looked around her, and realised she was sitting on the floor.

"You were having trouble breathing, and then you blacked out for a couple of minutes. What happened?"

Charlie went silent. She now remembered why she was sitting on the floor, and although she considered Watson to be a friend as well as a colleague, she felt embarrassed to admit that she had bailed on the job. Charlie shakily got up from the floor and leant against the wall for support.

"Cancel the ambulance, I don't need it. But I do think I need to go home, I'm just not feeling well that's all"

"Are you sure Charlie? You were really out of it for a while"

"Cancel it now Watson. Then finish your enquiries here and meet me in the car ok?" Charlie ordered, and made her way to wait in the car.

Why is this happening to me? The police force is my career and my life. I have been through lots of sticky situations before and have never felt like this before. Perhaps I really do need help. People have always told me how strong I am, and it has made me think that asking for help is weak. I need to deal with this or I'm not going to be able to work again. Charlie sighed to herself as she watched Watson walk back towards the car.

"Are you sure you're ok Charlie?" Watson asked again, concerned. It was not often that you saw that side of Charlie Buckton.

"Yes I'm sure, I just need to rest that's all"

Charlie walked through the front door and was greeted by Angelo.

"Hey what are you doing here? Given yourself an early lunch break Sarge?!" Angelo joked.

"No. I felt unwell and had to come home" Charlie said.

"What's the matter? Come to think of it you do look a bit pale" Angelo asked, concerned.

"I had a panic attack at work. We got called to a robbery, and being there made me think about all the times I have been hurt whilst on duty. I couldn't catch my breath and I think I passed out for a couple of minutes. I came to and Watson was telling me she'd called an ambulance. I told her to cancel that and said I just needed to go home. I couldn't tell her the truth. What am I going to do Angelo? I don't think I can go to work feeling like this" Charlie started to cry.

"Charlie, you have been through more things this year than most people go through in a lifetime. But not once have you seeked help to deal with anything. I know you are amazingly strong, more strong than I could be. But i think you do need some help Charlie. It doesn't make you a failure, far from it, but you need to start dealing with these issues"

"You're right. I know you're right, I'm just such a private person, and I don't know if I'll be able to talk to a stranger. But I will try. I'm just worried about work. There is no way I can go to work feeling like this. I can't have panic attacks every time I'm there"

"Can you extend your maternity leave? I'm sure if you talk to them, they will understand Charlie"

By the evening, Charlie felt a lot calmer. She had spoken to her Boss and they had agreed that Charlie could have an additional three months off work. Charlie had also spoken to Rachel and found the name of a counsellor. She sat on the sofa and stared at the card. Daniel Golding - Counsellor for twenty years. Charlie picked up the phone and dialled the number.

"Daniel Golding's office, How can I help you?"

"My name is Charlie Buckton, and I would like to book an appointment for some counselling. I need some help"

Angelo listened from the next room, and felt proud of Charlie for admitting that she needed help. When she had finished the call, Angelo walked into the room and gave Charlie a big hug.

"What was that for?" Charlie asked, snuggling into Angelo.

"I'm proud of you. I know that wasn't easy for you, but I'm glad you are going to get help. You're amazing"

"No, you're amazing for putting up with me. Now where's my baby boy, his mummy needs a big hug"

"I love you Charlie" Angelo called after her. Charlie just turned round and smiled.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments, they're lovely :) Starting to wonder if this is getting a bit boring now, or if its too long..........not sure whether to contine much more, what do you think? :)

Chapter 27 - Help

Charlie looked up at the tall building and sighed. She knew she was there for a reason, but was not sure she could go through with it. Although Angelo was a great listener, and Charlie really felt she could open up to him, it was not the same as talking to a stranger. Then there was Rachel of course, but even Charlie had to admit that whilst talking to her had helped, she had issues that ran way deeper, and needed professional counselling. It was at times like this where Charlie wished she smoked. In reality, she hated it, but she always saw how people seemed to feel calm after breathing in that nicotine. She took some deep breaths and pushed open the door.

"Welcome to Daniel Goldings Office. How may I help you?" The receptionist asked Charlie.

"I have an appointment at 10:30, Charlie Rosetta"

"Please take a seat Mrs Rosetta, Mr Golding will be with you shortly"

"Thank-you" Charlie replied and took a seat in the waiting area. It felt like being at the doctors, but there was a distinct lack of patients. Perhaps I really am a nut case and no one will be able to help me, Charlie thought to herself. She was soon pulled out of her thoughts when a male voice spoke.

"Mrs Rosetta? Please come on through"

Charlie looked up and saw a man smiling at her. Charlie stood up and followed him into his office. She sat down on the couch and gave him a somewhat nervous smile in return.

"Nice to meet you Mrs Rosetta. My name is Daniel Golding. I have been counselling for twenty years. For this first session, I would just like to get to know you a little, and perhaps talk about some of the issues that have brought you here today. Does that sound ok?"

"Please, call me Charlie. Yes thats fine"

"So, Charlie, tell me a little about yourself"

"Um, I'm married, with two children, and I'm a Police Sargeant at Yabbee Creek. I have lived in Summer Bay for about 6 years now, and for the most part have been very happy here" Charlie began, her nerves slowly disappearing. Daniel had a way of making her feel comfortable. After spending about ten minutes talking about her family, Daniel moved on to some of Charlie's 'issues'.

"So what brings you here today?"

"I have been on maternity leave from work. I had my first day back at work and had a panic attack whilst investigating a robbery"

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"A few months back, I was in a supermarket with my husband, when two armed guys came in. Being a trained police officer, I couldn't sit back and watch it all happen............" Charlie trailed off as she remembered back to that day.

"Hey I am a trained police officer. You need to put your weapons down now!" Charlie could see herself shouting at the robbers, and them looking her straight in the eyes. She could see herself shouting at them again, and the relief she felt when it seemed they were giving up. Then all she could see was one of them launching straight into her and she was falling to the floor. She could remember the pain in her stomach, where her unborn baby was, and the wetness of the blood trickling down her face. But the most haunting thing of all was the look on Angelo's face. Pure shock and distress. Charlie never wanted to see that face again.

Charlie opened her eyes, and was surprised to feel tears coming from them. She blinked and looked up at Daniel.

"What happened? Was I saying that all out loud?" Charlie felt very vulnerable and unsure of what had occurred.

"Charlie, you are experiencing flashbacks. These flashbacks can manifest themselves in different ways, sometimes dreams, or even nightmares. You are experiencing living nightmares. You are replaying the event over in your mind, to the extent that you believe that it is happening again. I believe this is happening because you have buried your problems. I am willing to bet that this is not the first traumatic event that has happened to you"

"No, you're right" Charlie replied, thinking back Grant. "Can you help me?"

"I can help you Charlie, but you have to be willing to face the demons that you have shut away all these years. Without doing that, there is nothing I can do for you. Are you willing to do that?"

"Yes, I think so. I want to get help, I want to be better again. I thought I was ok, and to a certain extent I was. I could deal with day to day life. But, I need to deal with my problems" Charlie said, realising that she was now on the road to recovery.

"I think that is enough for our first session. I think we should meet weekly at the moment, and Charlie, don't dwell on what happened today. It is going to be a long process, but we will get there together, ok?"

"Thank-you"

Charlie left the office, and although still reeling from what had happened, she felt positive for the first time in a long while. It was time to get her life back on track.

I think this is a really good fiction. Very different from the others that are on here (IE, its not all lovely dovey. You've mixed in drama (a lot :)), and I think you should carry on. Not only because its really good, but because you've got a good thing happening with Charlie and this counseling, and I want to see where you take it and how everyone 'deals' with it

I loved how you flashed back to the actual robbery when Charlie was first rushed to hospital, it makes you remember how Charlie has ended up with Daniel. And she has the support of Angelo and Ruby which I think is amazing.

So, please continue, and update soon :)

Archived