A Journey of Love

Guest charlie29

Thanks to everyone who comments/reads this fic and for the encouragement to keep writing :)

Chapter 28 - Slow Recovery

After her counselling session, Charlie drove back to the Bay and parked at the beach. She was shaking as she got out of the car, and although it had felt good to talk to someone about her problems, Charlie was not used to feeling so open and vulnerable. With everything that had gone on in the past, Charlie had learnt to hide her problems. It was going to take time, but she was sure she would get used to talking, and hopefully everything would start to feel a lot better soon. Charlie strolled along the beach and breathed in the sea air. Once again, the waves started to calm her down, and within a few minutes she felt better and strong enough to go home.

Charlie walked through the door and was greeted by Angelo. He had been pacing around at home worrying about Charlie. He knew how big a deal the counselling was for Charlie, and he hoped that it had gone well for her. Angelo had seen Charle at her most vulnerable, and he knew how difficult it was for her to talk to anyone, let alone a counsellor.

"Hey honey, how are you?" Angelo asked gently as Charlie sat next to him at the kitchen table.

"I'm ok. It went well actually. It was hard, and I think it's going to get harder, but I trust him, and I think he's going to be able to help me" Charlie replied, a small smile forming at her lips.

"That's great news Charlie. When's your next session?"

"In a few days time. I'm going to have weekly sessions to start with. It was so hard opening up to him at first, and I had a flashback to what happened when we were on holiday in the shop. Daniel said that this will keep happening until I have finally let everything out. I don't want to relive everything, but it's the only way to get better" Charlie looked sad.

"Hey, it's going to be alright Charlie. Just remember that we are all here for you. Me, Ruby and little Joseph. We all love you Charlie, and we want to see you get better"

"Talking of which, where are Ruby and Joseph?"

"Ruby is at Xaviers, and Joseph is having a nap"

"Mmm, a nap sounds nice" Charlie said, with a yawn.

"Come on then, lets go to bed"

Charlie and Angelo lay in bed cuddling and it was not long before Charlie fell asleep. Angelo watched her sleep and prayed that soon their family would be back to normal.

A few days later, and Charlie found herself back at her counsellor's office.

"Hello Charlie. How have you been since our first session?"

"Hi. Pretty good, it helps that I have a supportive family. They have been wonderful. I must admit that I am dreading today though"

"Why is that?"

"I know I am going to have to talk about the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I know I am going to have the flashbacks, and it is something I have hidden for a long time"

"Just take your time Charlie, there is no rush. Whenever you want to stop, just let me know"

Charlie took a deep breath and started to talk. It was not long before she was lost in her memories again.

I'm fourteen years old. I was a bit of a geek back then, all gangly and not many friends at school. I had a tough upbringing, my father was really strict and I was never allowed out with my friends. I can see myself at the party. The party I wasn't supposed to go to. Oh God, there he is. Grant Bledcoe. He's smiling at me. We hung out a few times and he wants to be my boyfriend. He gives me the creeps, he's still staring at me. I ignore him, and have a great time at the party. It's now later that night and I am about to walk home alone. There he is again. Grant. He offers to walk me home. I agree, not because I like him, but because I'm scared about walking home in the dark. If only I knew what was going to happen.

Charlie jumps as the flashback ends. Tears are starting to form in her eyes, and her whole body is shaking.

"It's ok Charlie, you're doing really well. If you don't feel strong enough, we can leave it there for today" Daniel said.

"No, I want to carry on, I need to carry on" Charlie closed her eyes and began to talk again.

I am at home now, and in the shower. My parents are still out. I am hurting so much, and there is blood everywhere. I can't believe he did that to me, I knew I didn't like him, but I never thought he was dangerous. I scrub myself all over, to try and make myself clean, but all I can think of is him leaning over me, calling me a sooky little kid because I was crying. I dry off and put my pyjamas on and cuddle up in my bed with my favourite teddy. Big Bear. My dad brought him home for me when I was born, and he has been my best friend ever since. I can't sleep, everything keeps going round in my mind. A little while later I hear my mum come into my room and kiss me goodnight. I pretend I am asleep, I can't tell them what happened. My dad will be angry that I snuck out. I am so alone, the pain is almost too much to bear. But this is only the beginning.

"Charlie, you need to wake up now, Charlie come on" Daniel tries to shake Charlie, she is lost in a trance. Her whole body is jerking with sobs and tears are flowing down her cheeks.

"Charlie, come back to me. You're in your counsellors office" After a few more shakes, Charlie opened her eyes and focused on the face in front of her.

"I'm sorry" Charlie mumbled.

"Charlie, you have nothing to be sorry for. What happened to you was a very traumatic event, and I am sure that it is what has triggered all your problems you are facing now. You have taken the first step to recovery today. I know there is a lot more to tell, but I think that we should stop for today"

"Thank-you. Do you think you could call my husband for me? I don't think I can drive home" Charlie could feel her body shaking uncontrollably.

"Of course I can"

It was not long before Angelo arrived with Joseph. Charlie ran into his arms and sobbed. Once home, Charlie was able to tell Angelo what had happened. He knew all about Grant, and what had happened to Charlie, but not in as much detail. Charlie felt better for being able to talk to both Daniel and Angelo, and although the process was difficult, she could already feel herself healing.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww I loved that Chapter. Poor Charlie having those horrible flashbacks! But I'm sure in the long run that this is going to be a huge help to her. I loved how she asked for Angelo at the end. :wub: And its great she was able to talk more about it with Angelo too.

Cant wait for more :D

That was amazing.

I loved how you wrote the flashbacks; they were so real. A lot of thought must have gone into writing them.

Its great to see that Charlie is starting to open up about what happened to her as a teen, it can't be the easiest thing Charlie has ever done.

I loved how Angelo came to pick Charlie up. And how she ran to him and sobbed (sounds mean I know), its nice she has that support from him. :wub:

Update soon... this is amazing!

Thanks again for all the comments - Callyha, Dannio2, Carina and JarliefanEver - You all comment every time, so thank-you :)

Chapter 29 - Bad Dreams

Angelo lay in bed trying to get to sleep. He had spent a long time talking to Charlie about her latest counselling session, and she had cried a lot. Ruby had been fantastic and had looked after Joseph so that Angelo was able to focus fully on Charlie. Charlie had told him the entire truth about what had happened with Grant. Of course, he had known the main details, but to know exactly how Charlie remembered every little detail about the event had shocked him. He knew it had been a horrific time for Charlie, but he hadn't completely realised how much it had impacted on the rest of her life. They had been through it all after Charlie had been knocked down by Brett, and the whole truth had emerged about Ruby being Charlie's daughter. He had spent one of those evenings holding Charlie as she told him the story from the beginning. But it hadn't felt real then. Charlie had only told him because he had threatened to call their relationship off if she couldn't be honest with him. But last night was different, Charlie had opened up like she never had before. And Angelo knew it was because she wanted to, and because she needed to. Afterwards, she had thanked him for listening, and said she was starting to feel better. Angelo turned over in bed and watched Charlie sleep. He frowned when he noticed the sweat dripping down her face. He then noticed that she was frowning, and realised she was having a nightmare.

"Charlie, wake up honey" Angelo shook Charlie gently to try and wake her up.

"Grant.....no.........please don't" Charlie began to murmur in her sleep.

"Charlie, come on baby, please wake up" Angelo shook her a bit harder.

"Grant......no..........NOOOOOOOO!" Charlie screamed and then sat up in bed. She started to hyperventilate, and only calmed down when Angelo placed his arms around her.

"Hey, it's ok, it was just a nightmare. You're safe with me" Angelo tried to reassure Charlie.

"I'm sorry for waking you. Daniel warned me this might happen"

"Hey, there's nothing to be sorry for. It's no surprise that you're head is swimming with bad thoughts. Just know that I am here for you ok?"

"I know, thank-you. Can you hold me?"

"Of course baby"

Angelo wrapped his arms around Charlie, and sighed with relief as he watched Charlie slowly drift off to sleep again.

The next morning, Angelo woke up alone. He jumped out of bed, and was relieved to find Charlie in the nursery with Joseph.

"Hey, how are you this morning?"

"I feel a lot better actually. Like a weight has been lifted. I have been carrying Grant around me my entire life, but I feel like I have started to let him go. He will never completely disappear, but it feels a lot better. I have you to thank for that" Charlie smiled at Angelo.

"And Daniel too. I'm so pleased you found this counsellor, I'm so proud of you Charlie, you have been so brave"

"I couldn't do it without your support, or Ruby's for that matter. Do you fancy going to the beach today as a family? I think I need a normal day of just being with my wonderful family"

"Sounds like a wonderful plan. I'll make a picnic to take"

"That sounds like a lovely idea, doesn't it Jo Jo? I can't believe you are ten months old now, mummy's big boy getting all grown up!" Charlie cooed at Joseph, who giggled in return.

"Ma ma ma" Joseph babbled.

"That's right, you are mummy's little boy, yes you are! Let's get you dressed for the beach then little man, and then we can wake your big sister!"

Two hours later and Charlie was enjoying being on the beach. Angelo had taken Joseph down to the water, and although he wasn't impressed at first, he was soon laughing.

"So, how are you mum? I know you were upset last night" Ruby asked, worried about Charlie.

"I'm doing good. The counselling is really helping, and Angelo has been fantastic. So have you Ruby, you are a wonderful daughter. Thank-you for looking after Joseph last night so I could talk to Angelo"

"That's ok, he is adorable. I'm glad it's helping mum. Was it hard.....talking about him?"

"Yes. It's not something I have ever really talked about a lot, for obvious reasons. But I feel like I have some sort of closure now. How do you feel about it?"

"Nothing. I hate him for what he did to you, and I hate him for nearly tearing us apart. I'm glad he's dead, I'm not so pleased that Ross killed him, but I'm glad he's out of our lives for good" Ruby said angrily.

"Me too Rubes. Talking of dad, I was thinking of visiting him next week. Would you like to come with me? It's something else I have been putting off for months, but I think I am ready to visit him now"

"Yeah, I'd love to"

"I'll give Morag a call later and ask her when would be a good time" Charlie replied. She had not seen her father since he had been taken away by the police. After spending a week in prison, he had been taken to a secure psychiatric hospital. Morag had phoned several times to ask after the family, and Charlie had sent photos of Joseph, but she had been too frightened to visit him. Charlie had felt guilty for a long time and felt it was her fault that Ross had killed Grant. If only I hadn't put so much blame and guilt on dad for not prosecuting Grant all those years ago. Then none of this would have happened, and Joseph would have his granddad around. Charlie was thrown out of her thoughts by a wet Joseph being thrust into her arms. She smiled at him, and then up at Angelo. I am so lucky to have my family, so very lucky.

That evening, Charlie was walked down the stairs after putting Joseph to bed.

"What do we fancy for dinner then? Takeaway?" Charlie asked Angelo and Ruby who were sitting watching the TV. Before they could answer, the phone started to ring.

"Hello" Charlie said.

"Charlie, it's Morag."

"Oh, hi Morag, that's funny, I was going to call you tonight. Is everything alright? You sound funny"

"Charlie, it's your father....................."

Mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaving it on a cliffhanger! Poor Ross :(

I love how Charlie is able to open up more to Angelo and thinks its great that he and Ruby are there for her

Amazing update, more soon please :)

Archived