Merlin

Guest Zetti

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't all that keen on the opener it just seemed to emphasise how all the characters are stuck in a rut, Merlin wanders around being a bit useless and then casts a spell at the end that solves everything, Arthur is brave and noble but a bit dim and can't do anything without Merlin's help, Uther stomps around being a git while showing occasional concern for his son to try and convince us that we shouldn't all hope the gargoyles stamp on him...Second episode was a lot better thanks to more Arthur/Guinevere which seems to be the most interesting relationship on the show even though Merlin/Arthur seems to get gayer by the second.(Although the ending was a bit implausible, did no-one ask questions about the murdered knight at the end?)Morgana was pretty much a non-speaking extra but looks like we'll get more of her next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that was the best episode so far this year.I liked that they were back to writing Arthur and Merlin as friends after a run of episodes where Merlin just seemed to be Arthur's whipping boy.The banter between them was utterly hilarious.The wilderon is probably the most unconvincing CGI monster of the season.(It didn't look like anything...)James Cosmo as the bad guy!I haven't seen him in years and he was great when puncturing Lancelot's rather earnest behaviour.

And I like to think that at the end was Arthur was thinking "Even Morgana gets more action with Gwen than I do..."

Was that James Cosmo?? I thought he was dead? Are you sure it was him? :unsure:

It is starting to annoy me about Arthur thinking Merlin is useless- he'll be awestruck when he realises how powerful he really is. I think it was a masterstroke making them the same age, because normally Merlin is a very old man isn't he? I wonder if at the end of the series Merlin might do some massive spell which drains his power and makes him old [like the Emperor in Star Wars].

It was exciting to see Lancelot again :wub: Poor old Gwen eh, what a hard life. Two men like that chasing after her, poor dear.

I really like this series. Even Arthur is annoying me less these days.

Was that James Cosmo?? I thought he was dead? Are you sure it was him? :unsure:

Definitely.I recognised him straight off.Even checked the cast list to make certain.Like I said, it's been a while since I last saw him, late '90s probably, gonna have to check IMDb and see if he's just been in a load of stuff I don't watch.

EDIT: Oh gosh, yeah, he was in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie!How on earth did I forget that...

• 1 month later...

I'm still enjoying it.Does have an unfortunate tendency to hit the reset button as the last episode showed:Arthur finds out what happened to his mother then decides it isn't true.Nice that he always takes Merlin along with him when doing something he's supposed not to.Have a feeling we're going to see Morgause again, not quite sure what her angle is yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed that episode last week with the love potion shenanigans, although felt really sorry for Vivian being sent away when she thought she was in love with Arthur still. She will be back....

I think that ep was a breather from the main story which looks like its coming back with a vengeance next week :blink:

Archived