Merlin

Guest Zetti

Okay, take back what I said, Morgana has slotted back into Camelot as if nothing happened.Bit disappointing and a bit hard to fathom given that Merlin and Gaius know she, well, tried to kill them all and she knows they know.The fight between her and Merlin was pretty good and it's a shame they kept cutting away to showing what the extras were up to.But it's annoying that they seem to be holding onto the status quo and the promo suggests that next episode she'll be playing the same role as the last two seasons in a comedy episode.

Some nice interaction between Arthur and Merlin, of the kind we don't get often enough, and between Arthur and Gwen.Attack on Camelot was marred by an appallingly fake looking CGI army (and the skeletons weren't much better).The bits with the actors were a lot better, even though there came a point when I thought "They're just using the same shot of that guy being pushed off the wall every four minutes, aren't they?"

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double post but hey, it's been over two months.Don't know if anyone else was watching it but season finale was fantastic.Chock-a-block full of iconography:the round table, Arthur selecting his knights, the sword in the stone.Only disappointment was the ease with which the army was got rid of, I was expecting pouring the blood out of the cup of life to be the first step, not the last.But hey, it had Gaius fighting Morgause.That's got to be worth the admission.

Be interesting to see how far they go to restore the status quo next year:Given that Uther survived, I'm wondering if he'll be back to normal and running Camelot the same way as before by early next season.Despite her apparent death, also wondering if we'll see Morgause again, with her and Morgana vanishing in a reversal of their exit last year.Have to admit I was expecting Arthur to find out about Merlin's powers in the finale but it looks like they're stringing that one out for a while.

I havent watched the finale yet, but im very much looking forward to it. Tomorrow is my day for watching Glee, Merlin and Supernatural........Australia sucks for making us wait so long for these shows...thankgod for online streaming..

A few days late, but ive finally gotten around to watching season finale.

Of course, i thought it was fantastic. I cant believe that its the end of another season already....and i really hope we dont have to wait to long for the next season.

I'm guessing Morgouse may still be alive. When it comes to her and Morgana, anything is possible. Although it did seem like Merlin may have broke her back or even her neck....

Go Giaus.....i'm so glad he took a chance and used his powers. I'm glad they gave him something to do....

Absolutely adored the last scene with Gwen and Arthur. Seeing her ride up up on her horse...... leading and being surrounded by the new Knights of Camelot/the round table...it was fantastic. It really made her look like the Queen she will one day become. She already has the Knights loyalty...its fantastic. And Arthur kissing her, not caring that others or his father will see...............perfect.

And of course...the final scene where Merlin puts Excalibur into the stone..................perfect ending for such a great season.

Cannot wait for the next season....................i will be waiting in anticipation...............

• 1 year later...

Been a long time since this thread was active but now that we're at the end of the fourth season I thought I'd better post my thoughts.Missed the season premiere because I was in Portugal at the time so still not entirely sure who some of the characters were and what happened to some of the others...

Well, forget my comments about the status quo;despite the first few episodes having him hanging around, Uther was killed off early on in the season, which was something of a relief since the show didn't really need him anymore.Less welcome was the loss of Lancelot;the way he was killed off early on and then briefly brought back as a zombie left me wondering whether the actor had something else to do.It was nice to get an acknowledgement that Arthur played a part in Uther's brutality, with the episode about the druid spirit.

Morgana being allowed to be properly evil was a good move, although by the end there was a feeling the character's run her course and I'm not sure keeping her alive was the right decision. Agravaine as the traitor within worked better than Morgana in that role in the previous season because it did remain in the foreground throughout.Only the lamia episode stretched the point slightly:While I can see the logic in Agravaine delaying Arthur rescuing Gwen and pretty much all his decent knights, it felt like it was there because he needed something villainous to do.

The one frustrating aspect is the Smallville-esque refusal to allow the other characters into Merlin's world.His relationship with Arthur seems to veer back and forth between a close friendship and both of them thinking the other's an idiot depending on the writer and it feels like we should be at the point where we've moved beyond Arthur's comedy bullying.It would be nice to let characters find out about Merlin's powers;instead, you know Agravaine's not long for this world the moment he finds out and sure enough he doesn't survive the scene.

Two-part finale dragged a bit in the first half, with too much attention given to Arthur being out of his head as a result of Merlin's spell, but provided a grandstanding finish.Although Gaius goes from being at death's door to being perfectly fine without any beat to cover it and for a moment I thought they might be brave enough to do it.An interesting move was that although we got all the battles we expected, they didn't end in resounding victory for the good guys, more like a curb stomp by the bad guys:Helios would have killed Arthur if not for Isolder's sacrifice while Gwen needs Merlin to rescue her from Morgana.If you want the audience to care about a one-off character's death, casting Miranda Raison is a surefire way to get half the audience on her side and I would have liked some follow-up on Tristan.Smartest move of all was ending the season with Guinevere installed as queen rather than making us wonder, it sets things up well for a fifth season.

Archived