Was it a mistake to kill Bobby off in 1993?

Guest Ryan

It's been my opinion after watching a large number of episodes around the time that I think that the show made the wrong decision in killing Bobby off. As we all know it should have been the utterly pointless Luke. Joking aside, I think that if even if Nicolle was wanting to leave the show at the point there was so much more to be gained through keeping her character alive, rather than killing her off.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been my opinion after watching a large number of episodes around the time that I think that the show made the wrong decision in killing Bobby off. As we all know it should have been the utterly pointless Luke. Joking aside, I think that if even if Nicolle was wanting to leave the show at the point there was so much more to be gained through keeping her character alive, rather than killing her off.

I agree. It was really random and like you said it would have made much more sense to have kept her alive. I really enjoyed Bobby on H&A, from her rebellious teenage years to when she mellowed, taking in Sam and marrying Greg - it was so sad when they killed her!! :( But I guess no one's perfect and so not all characters remain on the show for as long as we would love them to!!

I totally agree it was a mistake, simply because she was such a huge favourite of mine and had loads more in the character, they were able to do so much more with the character, in a similar vein as Sally, in that she could be around forever and they wouldn’t run out of stuff for her she was so well written. Even though it was Nicolle's choice to leave, I’ve always wondered if after a few years off she would have returned, and like to think she would, yet that makes killing her off all the more annoying.

Having said that, I’m not sure it would suit the character at the time, for her to leave Summer Bay, though they could easily have mapped something out… I guess it was a price to pay for the sake of some fantastic and highly emotional drama.

Although I was only 5/6 at the time, I sill remember being shocked by Bobby's death and I can't help thinking this is probably why they killed her off. Although I am unaware of context or circumstance I imagine she was considered to be a character with a long term future on the show and so for her to be killed in a freak accident would have been quite an impactful (is that word) event for the viewer.

Personally I think it was a mistake to kill her off, as I do like to think she would've made a return, if only doing guesties like Debra Lawrence....but at the same time I can understand why they did i, in terms of dramatic impact on both the audeince and the show.

I loved Bobby and didn't want her to be killed off but why would Bobby leave Summer Bay? And her death had the biggest impact as it resulted in Morag's return for Sam, resulting in all kinds of trouble.Plus if Bobby left the Bay, Sam and Greg would have had to go too and Ryan Clark ended up staying for another seven years. Not to mention the fact it was the biggest ratings grabber.

I remember walking into a shop at the time and seeing "Can H&A go on without Bobby?" on the front of a magazine. The show was only on for five years at the time but I suppose she was the first lead character to be killed off so dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived