Coronation Street

Di

Coronation Street may be sold off to an independent production company due to severe cutbacks at ITV, it was claimed today.

The Sunday Express reports that the long-running soap may no longer be produced by Granada Television because ITV is struggling to cope with the impact of the recession.

It has also been alleged that, as an "interim measure", Emmerdale may start to be made in Manchester rather than by Yorkshire Television in Leeds in the near future.

An insider told the newspaper: "It's fairly certain that Leeds will be closed and Emmerdale will be run from Manchester, which is effectively the end of Yorkshire TV."

Last week, ITV's executive chairman Michael Grade admitted that the financial state of commercial television had been "severely challenged" by the economic downturn.

"I have seen the cycle come and go over the years," he explained. "I have never seen anything quite as dramatic or quite as profound as this in terms of the effect on advertising revenues."

An ITV spokesman confirmed that the broadcaster is currently holding talks over its future, but dismissed claims that its production wing would be closed altogether.

He said: "As you know, operational reviews are taking place to ensure that ITV is in the best shape to meet the unprecedented challenges facing the economy, but there are no plans to drastically scale back, or shut, ITV Studios."

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coronation Street's Steve McDonald has been voted as the nation's favourite soap character in a national newspaper poll.

The Rovers Return owner, played by Simon Gregson, triumphed over long-running EastEnders character Dot Cotton (June Brown) and Weatherfield's Blanche Hunt (Maggie Jones) in a survey carried out by The People.

Gregson, who made his debut on the show in 1989, told the newspaper: "Oh my God, I am chuffed. I'm delighted people enjoy watching Steve and the scrapes he gets into. And I'm pleased people like to watch him as much as I love playing him."

Runner-up June Brown added: "It's great to know I'm appreciated."

Coronation Street was named as the top soap in the poll, beating EastEnders by one percentage point. Emmerdale and Hollyoaks followed in third and fourth place respectively.

The results also show that Corrie is preferred by viewers in the north, Scotland, Wales and the Midlands. However, in London, EastEnders outrates its rival by two to one.

An ITV spokeswoman said: "We are delighted viewers in the north remain loyal to Coronation Street. I guess they affiliate themselves with us because of the accents on the show and because viewers can associate themselves with the characters."

She added: "We do have a big following in the south. But it's nice to know from this survey that we also have a big following in the Midlands and in Wales. That is fantastic."

I wish Becky chose Jason because Steve's a slimeball that doesn't deserve anybody after the way he treated Michelle.I wanted Michelle to knock Becky out last night with a smack but she didn't :(

Poor Jason deserves so much better than that dirty skank anyway :)

Yeah, I normally like Steve but I'm finding it hard to like him and Becky as a couple after what they did to Michelle.Am I remembering it wrongly or did Julie seem to be eyeing up Jason last week?She has been sounding disillusioned with Kirk recently...Might actually work.

Nice to see Claire back after Julia Haworth's maternity leave, even if it was only for about half a dozen lines.

Yeah, I normally like Steve but I'm finding it hard to like him and Becky as a couple after what they did to Michelle.Am I remembering it wrongly or did Julie seem to be eyeing up Jason last week?She has been sounding disillusioned with Kirk recently...Might actually work.

Nice to see Claire back after Julia Haworth's maternity leave, even if it was only for about half a dozen lines.

Aww I didnt see Claire returning :( nice to have her back. :)

Yes there was the thing about Julie eyeing up Jason and saying ho much she fancies him.Isnt she with Kirk ?? its just they are never seen together!!

Steve is a swine and Michelle deserves someone so much better

Coronation Street star Bill Roache paid tribute to his late wife Sara at a public memorial service today.

The actor, who plays Ken Barlow on the ITV1 soap, was joined by fellow cast members and other mourners at Bartholomew's Church in Wilmslow, Cheshire this afternoon. A private funeral for friends and family had been held hours earlier.

Mrs. Roache passed away suddenly at her home earlier this month. She was 58.

Bill and Sara tied the knot over 30 years ago and had two grown-up children together, Verity, 29 and William, 23. Their second daughter Edwina died of a chest infection in 1984, aged 18 months.

Speaking at the service today, Roache explained: "[sara] was the perfect mother to Verity and Will. She did everything. She dressed us, fed us, and she made the house beautiful.

"She paid the bills, she taxed the cars. She jokingly said to me some time ago 'if I went before you, you wouldn't have a clue what to do would you?' How right she was. But it wasn't just that, and being the loving wife and mother, she really was my best friend."

He added: "I am the luckiest man alive to have had such a loving, loyal, devoted beautiful wife for 35 years and to have two beautiful and loving children in Verity and Will. Sara has fulfilled her destiny and gone to a wonderful home to join our daughter Edwina. I know, and I really do know, she is in a beautiful place and we are eternally connected."

Samia Smith (Maria Connor), Ann Kirkbride (Deirdre Barlow), Sue Nicholls (Audrey Roberts) and David Neilson (Roy Cropper) were among the Corrie stars who attended the service.