I Hope You Dance

Guest dolly-999

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it's short.

Chapter number 11. Empty world

Crystal's point of view:

I know their talking about me, I can hear it. There talking about Trent, Martha, Brett, everyone that complicates our family. As usual they think I'm asleep, they never talk about all this when they know I'm around, probably cause they think I don't know anything about the person Trent Reynolds really is, or the reason why we move so much, but I do.

I don't remember the first time I realized how different my family was, I guess it's just always been something I've known, but never really gotten my head around. Mum always told me that being different was what made our life more interesting, but as far as I'm concerned, being different is over rated. I've grown up being home schooled, moving state every few years and having an IQ higher than I'm supposed to even for an advanced student, now one really knows why I'm so far ahead, but that's cause they don't really know me well enough, no one does really, not even my mum.

Books have always been my best friends, they don't answer back, or tell everyone about you, they just speak a story, tell me what things mean and keep me occupied for hours on end. I've read the encyclopedia and dictionary from cover to cover, and read all dad's crime scene investigation books underneath my blankets with a torch in the middle of the night. Books know me better than anyone in the world.

Most of the time I keep to myself, probably cause my life is inside these four walls, everything's in here, the big tall corridors that I can run through without being noticed, the library with shelves that are antique and reach the roof, the gym, the swimming pool., the plasma screen tv, computers and so much more.

Not that it's ever a full house, most of the time it's just me, well it feels like that anyway, mum's usually home cleaning or cooking, maybe coming to check on me once or twice every few hours to make sure I haven't needed anything. Dad's sometimes here too, most of the time he's at his club. But when he is home, sometimes he'll go on adventures with me. We ride to far away places through books and swim to the darkest mysteries tat ly in our imagination at the bottom of the swimming pool. I wish he was here more, but I know why he has to stay away so much, it's cause of Trent, not that dad would ever tell me that, but deep down I know he would tell me if it wouldn't hurt me, that's why he lies to me, and keeps his other life of doing Trent's dirty work to himself.

If I could have one wish in the world, I'd wishe that Trent never existed. Everyone would be happy then. I could be normal.

I wouldn't have to live in the fear that my parents had tried to protect me from by not telling me. I could walk down the street without looking over my shoulder everytime I hear something, I could make real friends that weren't in books or made up, I could trust the people around me the way I never have. But most of all, if Trent never existed, I could go to sleep at night and not wonder if I was actually going to wake up in the morning, not having the thought that Trent might kill me cross my mind the way it has all my life before falling asleep. I wish I was normal, I wish it every night on the first star in the nights sky.

Sometimes there's this place in my head I go to escape, It's beautiful, like a fairy wonderland, there's magic in the air everywhere and smiles all around me. It's like one of the adventures me and my dad have, it's an underwater kindom, my dad's the king of course, and I'm his little princess. But no matter how hard I try to forget the real world, it always comes and hits me back in the face, like right then.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Cam just think straight would you, we're going round in circles” Cindy sighed, she'd really had enough.

“I would if I could but so much is going through my head right now, so If you've got any bright idea's I'd be more than happy to listen” he snapped back at her, he hated acting like this towards her, but right now he couldn't stop it from all coming out.

“Well I guess we've still got the work party tonight” she shrugged, knowing exactly why Cam was behaving the way he was.

“Yeah I guess you're right” he agreed, trying to calm back down, “but how the hell are we supposed to get her on drugs in one night?”

“We'll find a way” Cindy answered before getting up, “find Trent, he'll think of something, I'm just going to check on Crystal” she told him before walking out. Hearing this through the wall Crystal floppd back under her covers and closing her eyes, another thing nobody else knew about her was that she was extremely good at faking things. She felt the door open from the other side of the room, her mum stepping in for a minute before it closed again and footsteps could be heard walking away, opening her eyes, Crystal once again found her room empty, just the way it always was.

Chapter number 12. Daddy's little girl

Brett sighed as he parked the car outside the large house he lived in with Stacie and her daughter, pulling the key out of the ignition he turned his head to Roo who was sitting happily in the passengers seat next to him. “So here we are” he told her getting out and making his way around the car to open her door for her, helping her out with and out reached hand that she accepted gratefully.

“It's just the way you described it” she smiled contently, stepping out of the car and getting her balance on her own two feet. “I love it, it's beautiful” she added, before seeing anouther familiar face coming out of the frount of the house. “Stacie?”

“Roo” a very excited Stacie squealed, running towards her and giving her a hug, “It's been so long”.

“Too long as far as I'm concerned” Roo agreed.

“Alright ladies, lets take this inside before the mosies start biting” Brett suggested, “I'll send Roger down to get your stuff”.

“Yeah, come one, you look like you could use a cup of coffee” Stacie said to Roo before they started moving into the house again.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

A few hours later, seven oclock

“Everything ready?” Cam asked as Cindy came out into the lounge room wearing a fomal black dress.

“Just as planed” she nodded, sitting down on another chair and chucking her hand back carelessly onto the coffe table, their plan for tonight was completely flawless, no one could stuff it up, she'd made sure of it, everything was in it's place, ready to play out the way it should when the time was right. “Now we just have to wait for this baby sitter to get here” she sighed.

“So is Crystal any better?” Cam asked, over the last week, Crystal had had one of the colds doing the rounds around Yabbie Creek.

“Yeah she is actually, she hasn't been coughing for a few hours, so that's a good sign I guess. She's picked out anouther one of your crime books from the library downstairs, hasn't said a word since she picked it up” she explained, “speaking of which, would you mind going and getting her before the baby sitter gets here?”

“Yeah sure” he agreed, getting up and stretching a bit before walking out of the room and down the stairs.

As soon as Cam was gone out of the room and she could hear his footsteps on the stairs she pulled out a small plastic sealed bag containing a few white coated pills from her handbag fiddling with it nerviously in her fingers, just the thought of what her and Cam were going to do to Martha tonight was making her feel sick to the very pit of her stomach, and she knew Cam felt the same, no matter how hard he tried to hide the hurt.

If it wasn't for Trent threatening Crystal, they wouldn't even think of doing this, but just the thought of their little girl being even touched the slightest by that sick pathetic creep made her skin crawl, and it was what kept them both going through this; the thought that their daughter could get hurt.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Hey Princess” Cam smiled as he walked into the library on the bottom floor of their house to find Crystal closing a book and tossing it aside.

“Hey” she grinned back, looking over to see him approaching her and sit down, giving her a bear hug before looking at the book she'd finished reading.

“Ahh, I see you found another one of my books missy” he chuckled, why an eight year old had such a fasination with them he didn't know or understand.

“Yeap” she exclaimed, getting up to put it back on a shelf that was about sholder height before turning back to look at him, “when's Debie coming?” she asked curiously, lifting her hand to move a piece of fallen hair back behind her ear so she could see properly again. Debie had baby sat her numerous times in the last six months they'd been living here, she was a pretty boring person, well to Crystal she was anyway, she always found it so unusual how an eight year old could love reading so much, always said that it made people less inteligent and less social. But secretly Crystal figure it was because Debie was dislexic.

“She should be here any minute” he answered her, standing back up and stepping across the small amount of floor to the shelf Crystal was standing in front of, “so how about you chose something to take back upstairs?”

Crystal shrugged before scaning her eyes across the wide selection of novels before her eyes, moving a few shelfs along before she came to her much beloved dictionary that was to far up fro her to reach, knowing exactly what Crystal was reaching for, Cam stepped over and pulled it out for her, placing it in her hands that were still out streched above her head. “Thanks” she said, before turning her feet around and holding the book against her, holding it in a tight embrace.

“Lets get you back upstairs” Cam suggested, leaning down to give the little girl a kiss on the fore head before taking her little hand in his and walking out of the room with her, reaching to swich the light of as they exited.

Martha took the last sip of coffee from the mug in her hands before walking into the kitchen, opening the dishwasher and putting the mug in before closing it again. A loud knock could be heard from the door, 'must be Cam' she thought. “Come in”.

“Hey” Jack spoke as he opened the door and popped his head in before stepping inside, “hope I haven't come at a bad time”.

“Kinda” Martha shrugged, “but come in and make yourself at home. Cam could be a little while yet” she told him, walking out of the kitchen to give him a hug beore sitting down with him. “So what brings you here?”

“Just thought I should pop by to see how your doing” he told her, giving her a small smile, he was so proud of her, she'd come through so much and he finally had the old Martha back, they'd both been through a bit lately, with the whole Ash thing and the abortion, but at least the stuff they all thought about Cam weren't true, he was glad they figured it out when they did, he would of hated to think that he'd lose her as a best friend over it.

“Well I'm good” she explained, “we've got a work party on tonight, you doing anything?”

“Yeah, I told dad we'd have a few beers later and have a chat, things have been pretty full on at home” he sighed, things had gotten a little easier in the last few weeks since Beth's passing, they'd started doing things they used to do, not that it was easy, it was still hard.

“Yeah, it must be tough, how's everyone holding up there?”

“We're getting there” he assured her, “Dad's still bottling things up a bit tought, even if he won't admit it”.

Martha reached out for Jack's hand, giving it a little squeaze, she could see he was worried about his dad, and knowing the way Tony delt with things she knew he had goot reason to be. “I'm sure he'll find a way to deal with it, even if it does take a bit of time”.

“Yeah I guess so” he smiled, squeazing her hand back.

Martha looked at Jack, he was happy, and so was she, something that hadn't been a very regular occasion in the past few weeks, if she wasn't upset about Cam being dragged through the mud by the cops, or the way people had been treating him; Jack was upset about Beth or something that had played out at home due to many morning faces, all overwelmed with grief.

She so badly wanted to tell him more about what was happening lately, she wanted him to hold her hand and drag her out of the mess she'd gotten herself into, she couldn't do it by herself. But then the thought of causing him more pain crossed her mind, it was a thought she couldn't bear right now. If he knew she was pole dancing, he'd be shattered.

Archived