I Hope You Dance

Guest dolly-999

Thanks guys, here's more:

Chapter number 7. Blackmail

Continuation of five years ago:

“Please sit down, make yourself at home” Trent encouraged Cam as they came through the front door and into the lounge room of his flat. “Now you're probably wondering what all this is about?” he asked after the three of them were seated.

Cam just nodded, it was to late at night for this, one moment he was living a normal life, well as normal as life could get supporting a three year old, it's mother, as well as himself, but now it was like that was worlds away from here, he was in a new dimension, a new race of people with doggy business, gosh he didn't even know what they wanted and already it looked doggy. “Look, just give me one good reason why I should help you with what ever your trying to get me roped into?” he snapped.

“Hold it mate, we were just about to get to that, just give us time to explain” the cab driver told him, “I'm Greg by the way”.

“Anyway enough with the chit chat, down to business, I'm going to tell you this straight and good, no dillydallying” Trent interrupted.

“Good the sooner I get out of here the better” Cam muttered under his breath.

“Now” Trent started, “you've probably heard of a man called Brett Macklin?”

“Yeah”.

“Well, lets just say me and Mr Macklin aren't friends” he explained, “ok so we both completely hate each other” he huffed, breaking the civil talk.

“Yeah well you wouldn't be the first to not take a liking to him” Cam commented, trying to keep calm as much as possible, he pretty much guessed what the rest of the conversation would be like, after all his years behind the bar he'd heard a lot of business men's hates and dislikes about the guy, it was always the same, ether they were frustrated over the fact that Macklin's business seemed to always be doing better than theirs, or they were hoping that he'd trip himself up somewhere and sent his business falling so there was a chance for the rest of them, then their was the occasional guy wanting to kill him and he could only guess that Trent was one of those few. Well he was about to get the answer.

“True, but you see, he's done more than just threaten my business, that's why I need your help to get revenge” Trent told him, by now Cam could tell that the guy was a complete nut case. He had this freaky look he used that seem twisted and evil.

“What makes you think I'd want to help you do something like that?” scoffed, “is this some kind of practical joke?”

“No it's not a joke at all, and if I was you I'd start taking this a lot more seriously Mr Roberts” Trent answered him, he wasn't impressed at all, “Your father told me that you were a useful asset, I thought we'd at least be getting someone who saw the importance of this situation”.

“Look, I'm just a man trying to make my way in the world, I don't need any of your little games to make it more complicated” Cam told him, getting up from where he sat. “If you think I'm going to help you then your kidding yourself”.

“What? Where are you going?” Trent piped up, in a rush.

“Home” he replied bluntly opening the door and taking one last look at the two men.

“Not so fast, if you don't help us we could make your life extremely difficult” Greg jumped in, standing up behind Trent and eying Cam like he was their last hope.

Cam suddenly closed the door and stood where he was in front of the door, he wasn't going to sit down, that would only make them think they had him back in their trap, “and what makes you think I won't go down to the police station right now and report this?”

“Because, not only will they not believe you when we're gone with out a trace, but your little girl and her mum that you take such good care of will-” Trent paused to think,,” well lets just say we can do anything to them” he continued, satisfied when he saw the look on Cam's face, they were reeling him back in. “So why don't you sit down and we can talk about this properly?”

Cam nodded, feeling the treat around him once again, he wasn't surprised that his father had friends like this, they were exactly like him, that's why he knew he had to do what he was told now, they weren't the kind of people that were all talk, if they said something or threatened you in anyway, they'd go through with their exact words. Crystal and Cindy's lives were to important to put on the line.

“Good” Trent smiled as he saw Cam backing down and sitting back on the couch. “Now we understand your families financial situation at the moment, so to make things a little easier you'll have a big house with-”

“Do you really think bribing me is going to make me want to do this?” Cam butted in.

“Well, not exactly, but if your going to be working for us you can't look like you need anything from Mr Macklin, so that's why you need to look rich” Trent explained.

“Fine” Cam gave in, “Look I'm tired, you've told me the basics, so can't I just go home?”

“Ok” Trent agreed, “we can't have our newest apprentice tired now could we? Greg, take him home. Oh and Cam” he added as Cam was just getting up.

“Yeah?”

“Talk it over with Cindy, not that she has a choice in whether you do it or not, but you guys will be moving round a bit so she should at least know what's going on. And what ever you do, don't tell anyone else, or-”.

“You'll have to kill them?” Cam asked bluntly, he was so over this already, and he knew Cindy wasn't going to take it well at all.

“Yeah something like that” Trent smirked. “See you again soon, it was a pleasure to meet you”.

“Shame I couldn't say the same” he muttered under his breath as he turned around and walked out the door.

-

Since that day, Cam, Cindy and little Crystal had moved around a few times, on average they'd move once every year or two, depending how long each one of Trent's instructions took. First stop had been back to Perth, luckily for Cam it was on the other side of the city to where his folks lived, he'd had to meet up with another one of Trent's friends who went over all the plans with him for the next year until they were all completely flawless, every single move organized and every victim identified with ways to bring them down.

Next, they'd moved to Brisbane to find ways to bring Brett's business down there, since it was fairly new it hadn't been to hard, but it was slow so they'd been there for a year and a half. Then they'd done the same over two years in Melbourne, then a year in Canberra.

After that, Trent had decided to send them back to Sydney for the next move, this time make a more personal attack on Mr Macklin, not just his business, they'd kidnapped his sister Stacie, kept her locked up for a few days while Brett ran mad trying to find her, then after three days they returned her on the front door of the Macklin's mansion. Following that they'd lay low for a few months while Trent started setting up a business in Yabbie Creek for Cam to run, it was time to get Brett's daughter; Miss McKenzie.

Martha had been an easier target then he thought, they'd gotten lucky with the fact that she was in an extremely vonerable state and on the edge of pushing her family away from her slowly, then all Cam had to was reel her in and sweep her off her feet.

After a few weeks, Trent started to get bored, he'd been waiting for Brett to fall for too long and sitting and waiting for Brett to give a stuff about a daughter he hardly ever contacted was starting to send him crazy, so he set a mission for himself, he'd kidnap the little rug rat that he did give a stuff about; Brett's niece, Lucy.

Of course he had every intention of putting her back eventually, but right now the reaction he was seeing from both Brett and Stacie was too good to be true, and it had only been a few days, he could only imagine what things would be like if the police still hadn't found her in a week, and from where he was sitting it looked pretty good, this was definitely his time, Brett was going to pay, it wasn't the end yet.

Please tell me what you think.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great chapter Dolly.

But if Cams in on it to (not that he has much choice) then why did he get caught with the whole drug thing? Or does that have nothing to do with Trent?

Cause surely Cam will go down for the drugs thing, but I thought Trent needed him :unsure:

Maybe im getting myself mixed up. lol

Anyway, great chapter, this is a really interesting storyline :)

More please :)

^^lol, yes you can call me Dolly, or Amy, ether one.

What are you confused about?

Oh and Vale4eva, just to answer your question, the whole Drug thing has nothing to do with Trent and Cam didn't do it (believe it or not), but yeah it's just a coincidence that Cam got the blame for it cause of someone that came to the rocket club and claimed to know Cam and work with him. Anyway hope that answers you question.

Sorry not everything is clear at the moment guys, in a few chapters things might make more sense.

Hey guys thanks for the reviews. Since the last chapter pretty much explained how all the different puzzle piece are linked, I've decided not to do anymore scenes in Italics, but there still will be some parts with Lucy, Stacie and all the others that were in the puzzle pieces.

Here's the next chapter, hope it clears up any confusion about what's going on with Cam, if there's any more questions just let me know:

Chapter number 8. dead line

Cam and Martha slowly made their way back into Martha's apartment both completely worn out and miserable, gosh it wasn't even lunch time yet and things had been worse than the day before. Martha sighed, collapsing on the couch, next Cam would be in jail, she couldn't handle that, not now, she didn't really have anyone besides him left, well there was her new friends from work, but she wasn't particularly close to any of them. Then there was Jack, before today she wouldn't of called him a friend, but seeing him comfort her the way he did, and how he genuinely wanted to help Cam out of this, well things had changed, but even still, she needed Cam with her.

“Babe” Cam spoke softly. Martha didn't say anything, she just looked up at him where he had just sat down on the arm rest of the couch, “their not going to take me away” he promised, moving closer to where she was curled up then placing one hand around her shoulders.

“But you don't know that for sure” Martha sobbed, she couldn't keep holding it all in, “everyone keeps saying that you'll be ok, but what if your not, what if they take you away from me Cam? I can't handle losing you”.

“Your not going to lose me, ok?” he answered, trying to stay strong, the truth was that thinking of her was the only thing stopping him from breaking down, she ment so much to him, and that wasn't a lie, when Trent sent him to Yabbie Creek to try and bring her off the rails, he never thought he'd actually fall in love with her, but he had, now he just hoped that what ever Trent wanted him to do to her next that she'd be ok, cause he just couldn't hurt her, he wouldn't let himself.

If he had his way then Trent wouldn't exist, this mess wouldn't exist, but on the other hand, if this hadn't happened... he wouldn't of met her.

“Look I've got to go, Cindy's going to want me to explain what's going on and I need to get onto a lawyer, I'd stay if I could, but-”

“It's ok, you don't need to explain, I understand” Martha reassured him, giving a weak smile.

“I'll get back here as soon as I can” he promised, kissing her lightly on the head and getting up.

“Ok” she she said softly as he left.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“So mate, I noticed you and Martha talking earlier, you too still at each other's throughts?” Peter asked before taking a bit of his sandwich, leaning back on his desk chair and swinging his legs up onto his desk.

“No” Jack answered from where he sat at his desk on the other side of their office “We're actually getting along quite well, she had a cry, I gave her a shoulder to lean on, she talked and that's about it really, but were getting along, so that's the main thing I guess” he sighed.

Since they'd moved Jack's stuff into Peter's office nearly a week ago, the two of them had started a tradition of spending their lunch break in their office to have a chat about life in general, as Lara had described it before, it was 'men's secret business', but Jack still thought it was an excuse so that she could go home and sleep in her lunch break instead of going to the dinner with Pete and making out with him like they were hormone driven teenagers, in the process of completely horrifying Colleen.

“Yeah true” Pete replied, he knew how worried Jack was about Martha, especially with that Cam guy around. “So do you think he did it?” Peter changed the subject.

“What do you mean?”

“Come on Jack you know exactly who I'm talking about”.

“Yeah ok, I don't like the guy, cause-, well anyway-”.

“Cause your still in love with Martha” Peter finished him off.

“No” Jack shot out defending himself.

“You sure about that, cause most divorced couples generally hate each other. But then again if you were still in love with her then I guess that would explain why your going to so much trouble to look after her from ever guy that comes along and sweeps her off her feet” Pete shrugged.

“Look mate, I'm only protecting her like any friend would if she was getting into the wrong crowd” Jack explained, he knew why Peter was doing this, and for while about a week ago he was starting to ask himself if he was actually in love with Martha, but he wasn't, they'd had something in the past, yes it had been hard to accept for a while, the past is where it was and was going to stay for now. “And just for the record I don't think he did it”.

Peter looked up in shock, “You what?” he asked completely clueless with his jaw about to hit the floor, “y-y-y you don't think he did it?”

“Nope” Jack shrugged it off, it wasn't that big of a deal was it?

“Well” Peter started, sitting himself back up in his chair properly, “I didn't see that one coming”.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“I don't understand how this happened” Cindy said, lost in her own thoughts and stairing into mid air where she sat at the dinning room table of their large house at the edge of Yabbie Creek looking over the water. “How could someone set you up like that? Gosh what if it's Martha's ex husband, you know he hates you Cam-”.

“No it wasn't him” Cam reassured her, “he was actually telling his boss it wasn't me”.

“Your kidding right?”

“Nope”.

“Right well then who did then?” she asked, getting frustrated.

“I really don't know, you don't think Macklin's getting on to us do you?” Cam suggested, it was a long shot, but if it was a possibility then it had to be looked into.

“No I don't think so, if he was he would of found out about Martha, and then we'd really know about it”.

“True” he sighed, resting his head on the table, “maybe the guy just wanted to get back at me for kicking him out of the club?”

“Yeah, but that's a pretty big statement to make even just for revenge, the police would follow it up and if he was caught lying it would just get him in more trouble” Cindy answered, “but then again, the guy's high on drugs so anythings possible I guess” she huffed before another thought came to her head, “wait... you don't think...”

“Think what?”

“Cam, what if it's Trent”.

“But he wouldn't, were doing his work for him”.

“Yeah but, if he doesn't need us anymore then if just explains it all” she exclaimed, this was really starting to get to her, this shouldn't of even been happening, “you know how he's been doing more of himself lately, with kidnapping Lucy, what if he's gotten bored with just watching it happen”.

“Cindy, I think your reading way to much into this” Cam spoke, trying to settle her.

“Maybe, but just hear me out”.

“Fine”.

“You know what guys like him are like, every job has to be more dangerous and have more risk, that's why his probably getting such a thrill out of the whole kidnapping Lucy and letting her run loose on the streets where know body knows where she is”.

“I guess...” Cam agreed, still thinking it was a bit far for even Trent.

“And with things with Martha being fairly quiet from Brett, it just gives him more reason to not need us” she finished just as Cam's phone was ringing.

“It's Trent” Cam told her as he looked at the screen on his phone.

“What does he want?”

“I don't know, but I'm about to find out” he answered before pressing the yes button and putting the phone to his ear. “Hello. Yeah I was, but I can explain. Yeah ok, you what?” Cam asked surprised, “Trent come on that's a really long shot, can't we just forget about Martha, it's not like Brett's going to give a stuff about her so we're waisting our time” he explained. “Yeah ok, bye” he said hanging up after a few minutes of Trent going on and one, hardly letting him get a word in.

“What's going on?” Cindy asked, waiting to know what wold happen next.

“Hello there little one” a police officer said softly as he approached a cold and lost Lucy huddling in a blanket by the side of a walk way against a brick wall. “What's your name?”

Lucy was to scared to answer, she didn't know what to think to the man in uniform standing in front of her.

“It's ok, we're here to help” he assured her, crouching down to her, “can you tell me your name?”

“Lucy” she cried, “my name's Lucy, I want to go home”.

“Well were about to take you there, ok, just come and get in the car and well get this mess sorted out, ok?” he asked, helping her up.

“Ok” she answered, taking the man's hand.

“Well?” Cindy asked again, still waiting for Cam to tell her what was going on.

“It wasn't him who set me up, but he's pretty sure he knows who did” Cam explained “He's going to take care of it right now”.

“Well that's a relief” Cindy smiled, letting out a breath of air, that really was a close one. “And what about Martha?” she questioned, she'd heard her name mentioned, maybe they could finally leave her alone, she really hoped that she was right, Martha shouldn't of had to suffer cause of a man who she had nothing to do with her whole life except share the same gene pool.

“He's not giving up on her” Cam sighed.

“What, but, why?”

“He's bringing someone else into it that he's pretty sure will make Brett find out about Martha sooner” he told her. “Martha's mother, Ruth still keeps in touch with Brett, and Trent's been listening in on some of there phone calls, she's flying over from New York next week to see him and come here to see Martha”.

Cindy shut her eyes for a second and sighed, this was just getting worse and worse.

“We have a dead line now, we have to have her further off the rails by the time he brings Ruth here”.

“Hey guys I got you two some coffee from the diner on the way here” Lara smiled as she walked into Peter and Jack's office.

“Thanks” Jack and Peter both said looking up at her as she cam in.

“Oh and Jack McGrath wants to see you, he said something about you and Harper needing to go somewhere?” Lara told him handing him the coffee as he got up.

“Ok, thanks, I'll see you two later” Jack answered leaving the office and closing the door.

“So looks like it's just you and me buddy” Lara smiled, placing her and Peter's coffee on his desk before sitting on his lap and giving him a kiss on the lips which he returned happily.

“Boss you wanted to see me?” Jack asked, knocking on McGrath's door which was wide open with Harper standing inside.

“Yeah, I think you should both take a seat so I can explain the situation” he told them both waiting a second for both Jack and Harper to pull up a chair. “Well as you both know Cameron Roberts was charged with drug dealing this morning, but we've just got someone in the interview room right now who we think actually did it, so I need the two of you to get together a few more officers in the next ten minutes and be ready for when the drug squad gets here”.

“So Cam's going to get of the charge then?” Jack smiled slightly.

“Well at this stage yes, but not officially until we check out the building that the squad will take you too, if we find the evidence of drug dealing and find some of the stuff from the same batch as what we found on the guy the other night then yes he will” McGrath answered him. “Ok if there's no more questions then you two are dismissed”.

Please review.

Great chapter, and thanks for clearing that up for me, im alot less confused now :)

Jack makes me laugh, saying he doesnt love her anymore, yeh right! :rolleyes:

I still dont no what to think about Cam, I feel really sorry for him, but if he gets Martha hurt (even if he didnt mean to) I wont be very happy! <_<

Great chapter, more please

Archived