I Hope You Dance

Guest dolly-999

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here's the next chapter

Warning, contains violence (VD)

Chapter number 3. Haunting past

Cam sighed as he pushed a tray into the oven and closed it before stumbling over the the couch and lying himself down. Today had been a big day, so big he hadn't had much of a chance to sit down and think about it all until now.

If he lost the Rocket club he didn't know what he'd do, he'd worked so hard for it, and he'd proved his family back in Perth wrong too, especially his father, they all told him his whole life that he could never do something like that, that he wasn't smart enough and he wouldn't be able to handle a business. Let alone run one. In some ways it was probably what made him want to be a business manager, just to prove he could do it, just to prove that he wasn't his dad, and he never would be.

His dad never loved him, well he might of but he never showed it, he didn't show anyone he loved them, not even him mum. Sometimes when he was growing up he'd sit and wonder why his mum hadn't left his dad, it's not like she didn't have the chance, there were plenty of opportunities where she could of, and taken him and his two little sisters with her, they probably would of all been better off too.

See the thing about his dad was, not only was he a workaholic, but he was a womanizer, a cheat, a girl basher and a sleaze bag, when he wasn't working, he was 'supposedly' working. But he knew where he really was, his mum didn't half the time, but he did, he'd be off with some new fling, sleeping with an employee or drinking himself stupid and getting high off drugs.

Yet when his mum did find out she still didn't leave, whether it was out of fear or for other reasons Cam still didn't know, but he did know that he used to beat her, he'd think him and his sisters didn't hear it, but they did, they'd be in one of the bedrooms all crying together. Sometimes Cam would make sure that the two little girls Kelly and Anna didn't hear it, but other times they'd already noticed before he did. But the only thing he thought about when he was going through so much pain knowing what was happening, was one day standing up to him. He still remembered the day he finally did, it was still like it was yesterday, that had been the time he'd ended up in hospital from being knocked out.

It was the day after his seventeenth birthday, his mum had had a go at his dad for not coming home for two nights in a row, and she'd jumped to conclusion about where he'd been, well actually she was exactly right, but that was beside the point, he still denied it, and when he was in the house, things were always as he said so.

Cam couldn't take it any more, so he came out to the lounge room where his dad was now taking a swing at his mum, she tried to get away, but she still couldn't. Cam had come up behind him and pushed him to the floor, ready with his fist to punch him in the face, but his father had w=been a lot more quick, as soon as Cam pushed him to the ground, he'd started kicking, getting Cam just under the knee so that his leg collapsed under himself and he went flying to the floor on his right hip. The next thing he remembered was the feel of his dad's fist in his back, then in his head, then in his ribs, after that he couldn't feel a thing, he could just hear the sound of the impact of hitting, and his mother's scream in the background, she would of done something if she could, but she was too weak to take him on.

He'd woken up in hospital just over a week later, his mum and two sisters by his side, and his dad in the corner, looking completely ashamed of himself and to scared to say anything. That was the last time he'd ever seen him, soon he'd fallen asleep, and when he woke up he was gone. Then as soon as Cam had gotten home a week after he'd packed up his things and left home, got a job and tackled his last year of school along with it.

He'd tried getting his mum to come away with him, but even after he'd finished school and had a job she still refused, she still believed the lies that her husband had told her, that all their kids were failures, and that they would never make it far in life, deep down she knew different, and she loved them all to death, but there was always this other voice inside her head telling her that he was right.

As soon as he had enough money he moved to Sydney, he wanted to take his family with him away from his dad, but they wouldn't come, they were all to frightened about what might happen, so he had to leave them, staying there and trying to make them see sense would only be a losing battle.

Now more than ever he wished his mother was their, she was always so loving and giving when his father wasn't their, he just wished he could know what she would say, would she be proud of him? Or happy that he'd grown up not to be his father? He wanted to know so badly.

“Baby I'm back” Martha's voice interrupted his thoughts and snapped him back to the reality he was living in. That's when he realized that he'd been crying, his face was covered in tears that ran down in sheets of rain.

Cam sat up quickly, facing his back to her and grabbing a tissue from the box on the coffee table in front of him. “What, did you get?” he asked as he whipped away his tears and tried to make his voice sound as clear as possible.

“Just some cheese cake”Martha told him putting the bag on the kitchen bench before looking over at him where he sat on the couch. “Cam what's wrong?” she asked, realizing that he was crying, it was a pretty big shock too, she'd never seen him cry before, not even at the station.

“Nothing” he lied “just thinking about everything that's happened today”.

“Yeah, it's been pretty full on” she agreed.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The little girl made her way through the dark, feeling the walls as she stepped. It was dark and cold, and her jumper that was two sizes to small didn't cover enough to stop the passing winds through the broken window making her shiver even more.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The next morning

Martha rolled over moaning with the realization that the sun was up, “It's to early” she grizzled. Stretching her arm out to realize that Cam's body wasn't next to her like it had been when she went to sleep.

Opening her eyes properly, she began to get out of bed, pushing the covers down so that she could place her feet on the carpet. “Cam?” she called out, but still got no answer, “Cam?” she tried again, but before she could wonder where he was any more she heard a knock at the door. “Who is it?” she asked as she began to walk out towards the door.

“It's Jack, can I come in for a minute?”

“Yeah sure” she answered opening the door to let him come in. “So what brings you here this early?”

“You obviously didn't hear” Jack started.

Martha paused for a moment, “hear what?”

“Cam got arrested this morning” he explained, “Harper came here, I thought you would of hear it”.

Author note: ok so if your wondering what was with the random few lines in the middle written in italics, I've decided to try something knew, every chapter or two contains one or more of them, their like puzzle pieces which will make more sense near the end of the fic.

Please review

OMG wow, that was brilliant. I feel so sorry for Cam. The poor guy, he really is a nice guy, and now he got arrested :( I just want to give him a big hug. Martha can do that for me. The poor girl is so lost :P Great chapter

More please :)

Totally Wicked!

Poor Cam :( (cant believe im actually saying that aswell!)

He sure has been through alot hasnt he!

And now hes been arested! Oh dear!

Marthas not going to be too happy either, hope she doesnt yell at Jacky again :(

Love the idea of the italics aswell!

Cant wait for the next one :) Great writing

That was a fantastic chapter; really, excellently written!

Poor Cam :( He faced so much turmoil and heartache for someone so young. And, now he's been arreseted :(

The 'puzzle' that you've introduced is a brilliant idea. Very cryptic and unique; can't wait to see how it develops.

Absolutely loving this fic, please post soon :)

Thanks for the reviews guys, here's the next chapter:

Chapter number 4. I didn't do it

“He got arrested?” Martha shot out in shock, she didn't believe what she just heard, “Oh my gosh, I can't believe I didn't even notice, I must have been sleeping like a brink” she freaked out.

“Well it was about five thirty so I wouldn't blame you” Jack tried to point out, but she was already off in her own world of questions so anything he said really wasn't going to make a difference no matter how important it was.

“What was he even arrested in the first place, he hasn't done anything and they can't prove it Jack” she went on in her own little fast ramble, before pausing for a moment to ask the question she normally would of asked first, “wait you didn't have anything to do with this did you?”

“No” Jack assured her, “It had already happened when I got to work”.

“Good” Martha huffed, she didn't quite know what to say now, she'd been in such a fluster that she hadn't even realized that she'd actually let Jack into the house without her snapping at him, it actually felt nice being able to get along with him, even though she'd probably be sick of him in a few minutes, but for now she could handle him.

“So why did he get arrested?” Martha finally brought herself to ask again when she'd calmed down.

Jack bit his lip before beginning to explain, “Maybe you should sit down” he started.

“Ok” Martha said, walking towards the couch and pulling her dressing gown around her tighter as Jack sat next to her.

“You know those druggies that we were interviewing yesterday over the whole thing down at the rocket club” he began, still really not wanting to be the one to tell her all this, she'd freak, he knew she would, but someone had to tell her, and right now it was going to be him.

“Yeah how could I forget” she groaned, rolling her eyes.

“Well, you see, they... well they came and told the boss that...” he trailed off.

“That what?” she asked.

“That Cam was the one that originally sold them to them” he finished, holding his breath and waiting for the big explosion that was bound to happen.

And as usual it erupted, “They what?” she screamed standing up and placing one hand on the back of her head, running her fingers through her hair and scratching her scalp nervously, “But, but, he-” she stuttered, lost for words, he didn't, he wouldn't, he couldn't. Jack took her hand from where she stood in arms length from the couch, encouraging her to sit back down.

“He didn't do it Jack” she whispered finding her place on the couch next to him.

“I know” Jack told her, giving her a small smile and reaching for her hand that was placed on her lap, giving it a little squeeze, “I believe you” he said softly, promising her with the look in his eyes.

“Thanks” she smiled slightly, tears running from her eyes, and the next thing she noticed was Jack's thumb wiping them away, he was getting closer to her, and she felt safe and vonerable. “What if he goes down for this Jack?”

“He won't” Jack told her, “the only proof they have are some druggies high on god only knows what”.

“Yeah but does it really make a difference if they were high or not?” Martha pointed out, “you know how it works Jack, it was just like when Johnny got that kid to tell the police that Brad sold him the drugs” she cried, the more she thought about it the more scared she became, and the more orquad she felt around Jack. Then he reached to wipe more of her tears away, she couldn't take it anymore, he was getting to close, this whole thing was getting really mushy. “Don't” she snapped.

“I'm sorry” Jack started.

“Yeah you always seem to be” she said sarcastically, there he went again, once again Jack Holden was apparently 'sorry'. “Look Jack I just need some space ok”.

“Ok” Jack sighed, distancing himself from her and getting up, “just give me a ring if you want to talk, yeah?”

Martha just nodded, not even looking around at him. Realizing she wasn't going to budge anymore Jack left, leaving her by herself.

The phone rang, echoing through the big silent house, sighing the man walked over to where it was placed and answered.

“Hello” his voice said, not happy to be woken up on his day off work. Listening to what the person on the other end had to say he groaned, this couldn't be happening now, not after all the effort he'd put in to get this far and make such progress, it was to much to say goodbye to. It was probably lucky that he was being told this on the phone or he would of probably ringed the guys neck already.

“Look just fix it alright?” he ordered, hanging up the phone in on swing, slamming it onto the receiver where it sat.

“How many times do I have to explain that I don't do drugs, I've never done drugs and I don't sell drugs!” Cam yelled for the millionth time where he sat across the table from Constable Harper in the interview room at the station. He'd really had more than enough, yesterday was already more than he could handle and today he was only going to lose the plot, all of this was like labeling him as the man he hated more than anything; his dad, if he'd been here right now he'd of told him that he was proud of him, even though Cam knew he didn't do it, his dad wouldn't of seen that, all he'd see was the fact that his son was doing what he would do, that would make him proud to say he was his son.

“When you decide to tell us the truth, we'll let you go” Harper told him, getting equally frustrated.

Cam leaned forward slightly, looking the cop straight dead in the eye, “I didn't do it, and you have not proof saying otherwise”.

“Fine, you can go, but your not off yet” Harper explained, rolling his eyes, he wasn't getting anywhere with him, “You'll be expected to stay in town for further questioning, no runners or you'll only be making yourself look more guilty, got it?”.

“Whatever” Cam shrugged getting up and walking out.

Hungry, thirsty, lost and tired the little girl with short shoulder length brown hair sat herself down on a park bench. She'd been like this for two days, not that her mind realized that, to her it felt like weeks. More than anything she just wanted to go home to her mum, back where she got everything she needed and most of what she wanted.

Please tell me what you think

Archived