Support Group

Dan F

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I should be seeing a doctor/therapist/psychologist, but to tell the truth, I'm so set in my ways of dealing with bouts of depression, that I'm scared of what might happen if I were to do something about it. I have had panick attacks before, yes, where I can't breath/hyperventilates (less often than not being able to breathe at all), but I've always been able to deal with them with the help of my boyfriend, after a few minutes.

Mercury Girl, Sorry to here that you've been suffering these last couple dayz... Whats happened???

You know i suffer from Panic Attacks (Don't you???) although there a bit different from you... Its more the feeling of Sickness and the feeling of my throat closing, etc...

I advise (From experience) to change your life style obviuosly not as dramatic as me (Giving up Alchol, Smoking and even Coke (Fizzy Drink) NOT the other one) and since then I not had an Attack - I do feel the odd Anxious but thats OK to deal with.

Panic Attacks and Axiety Attacks are brought on by either Stress or Depression. Although i don't know you from adam i'd say Mild Depression is kicking in. Which is the same as me I don't dream anything bad. When deep in thought thats when it happens... Visions (Horrible ones) of people close to me dying (Its like im actually at the funeral) its hard to believe i know but its true.

I was actually talking about my funeral in the process and everything like that. But then I also stuffer from Stress aswell from work which is my own fault but getting through that now.

Im getting through alot now and all from giving up the above... Whether I give up for long is another thing but its nice to have a break from it. I've been T total for about 9 months, I've given up smoking for about 3 or 4 weeks now (Not long I know) and Coke for about 9 months to. And its really been benifical in the long run... Im not saying this will apply to you or you have to do it but its another idea for you if needed.

As for Doctors/Therapists or anything like that is also good advice... But you have to feel comfortable first while speaking to someone. I went to see a Homeopath and that was far better than a Doctor and its all herbal remedies so it was something (For me) new but overall brilliant.

I hope it all works out for you mate and that your feeling better soon. if you want to speak anymore about it PM me anytime... :)

Thank you for that long reply!

My depression is not severe, no, probably not more than mild as I still "function"...

About therapist/psychologist; I'll look into going to a Homeopath. I went to one when I was a kid to get medicine for my allergies, so I guess it could help.

Thanks.

Thats OK mate... I hope it all goes well whatever you choose to do. I'm always here (Well some days I wont) if you need to chat about it. Panic Attacks and Anxiety Attacks are very confussing (I'm still not 100% sure why mine happen) so if you need to understand more then contact me and we will work it out together... There's nothing wrong with a bit of support to help concer things (I learnt that the hard way)!!!

Good Luck Mate.

P.S Apologies for the long reply's you get so caught up on things you end up writing an essay!!!

The first thing to do is to look at any paticular tiime the attack starts, try and pin point those moments, are you anxious about something.

The trouble with panic attacks they hit when least expected..

Hate to say this in what way do you deal with the depressioin?

To be completely honest, I don't deal with it. It's there. But I'm afraid of doing something about it because I'm so used to feeling how I do and be who I am. I can't remember a time when I have to been 'depressed'.

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Attacks there very hard to pin point as its all in your Sub-Consious Mind... Thats why its so confusing.

But what I had to understand I'm know different from anyone else. And everyone suffers from Anxiety and alot of people have Panic Attacks which for me made it a little easier for me to understand. My mum suffers from them - But again its different as its more in her head she gets light headed and dizzy and sicky.

Sorry was that for me regarding... How do I deal with my Depression???

I deal with it the best way I can... I seek help when I need it and talk more about how I feel. BUT I don't take Anti-Depressiants which is good (I think) but the doctors did advise me to take them... It didn't feel right so thats when I went to the Homeopath.

I do also see Occupational Health (At Work) and they are putting me on this thing which helps (Like a Counsellor I guess) its called The Poppy Appeal - Its has a website but SORRY I can't remember if at the moment.

To be completely honest, I don't deal with it. It's there. But I'm afraid of doing something about it because I'm so used to feeling how I do and be who I am. I can't remember a time when I have to been 'depressed'.

Me and you are so alike... I never wanted to get help from anyone (Was never much good at speaking about my feelings) just bottled it all up.

BUT I'm so glad I have finally it went on for far to long. Im 22 yrs old and have nothing to tell about my life... But it will soon change (If it aint already) mentally and physically... Getting confidence back to what it was before School.

EDIT - And it will for you Mercury Girl when you are ready. That is when your ready to talk and when you understand it more!!!

Archived