Fanfiction Challenge

Guest sevenpuddings

Can I ask if these fan fiction challenges are spur of the moment things or have specific dates? If they are spur of the moment, perhaps it would be better to say 'we will have a fan fiction challenge on [for example] the 1st of February, June and October' then people would know and work towards those dates. I'd love to enter these competitions but they always seem to turn up when I've just posted a fic, or with really short notice :unsure:

:blush: Oops, forgot to say that both those fics above are original and interesting, its nice to read about two characters who've been marginal for so long.

No, they're not spur of the moment. This challenge was set about a month ago. Unfortunately, this actual thread goes way, way back to June 2006!!!! :blink: so it's not exactly easy for anyone to find their way round it. This is not my decision and I did suggest that this fanfic challenge was given its own thread, which the MODs are looking into. I personally think it would be easier if each fanfic challenge had its own thread and older challenges were transferred to the Northern Districts Library. :)

ETA: I WILL review these two fics later in the week. :) Just haven't had time so far.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the idea of new thread got half-discussed and then forgotten amongst the stresses of daily life... by me anyway... I think the general feeling was that there was already two pinned fic challenge threads, and a third would be overkill. The entries probably do need to be separated from this thread, I'm just not sure whether to move them into the "current fic challenge" thread (probably logical) or unpin that thread and start a new one... or... yeah. It's slightly confusing to me, especially when I'm always tired when I'm online because I can only get online after hours and hours of class and study >.<

Anyhoo... this thread is pinned so whoever's monitoring the challenge will have seen the entries. It won't drop of the main page of the forum while it's in here :)

REVIEWS

I thought both these stories complemented each other very well, one so light-hearted, the other so emotional. :)

GROWING PAINS

This fic really did make me laugh out loud in parts. It was lovely to read a light-hearted piece with a sweet ending and all the more amusing because it was about such a straight-laced character. I particularly liked both Aden’s and Nicole’s reactions and Aden’s tongue-in-cheek remark "You want me, don't you. That’s why you got all dressed up for me" and Morag’s quick-fire response "Yes, of course, Aden, I've been here for months desperately waiting for the opportunity to dress up sexy and jump your bones. How did you guess?" Her voice was practically dripping with sarcasm. . Morag’s sarcastic humour was brilliantly done, so true to how she is on the show:

"Yes babies do come from the stalk."

"Mud wrestling... to win a chance at a lifetime of teen angst, rippling muscles and self-destruction.."

:lol:

Oh, but Colleen...

Colleen stared at her baffled, "Are you going through some kind of mid-life crisis? Now I’m not one to gossip but I did happen to hear that poor Mrs Mildew suffered one of those just before she had that funny turn where she danced naked on the roof of her caravan singing Barbie Girl and waving the cat around her head. I tell you, when she tried to jump over that TV aerial..."

That image was superb! :lol:

Very amusing story. :D

A NEW BEGINNING

You totally grabbed my sympathy with the character of Jazz and that was a very difficult task as on the show she is quite a tough, hard-boiled character. I loved the way that this was told, taking us step by step through Jazz’s feelings:

Not your ordinary I-hate-you moment from your hormonal teenage son. No. When I looked into his eyes I could see how much he truly despised me. I could see the pain and hurt that had built up over the years, that I'd allowed to build up.

And when your child looks into your eyes and tells you how much he hates you it kinda hits home.

The build-up to making Jazz a likeable character was very well done and I like that at moments the real Jazz resurfaces He's living in the city now with his dad and his wrinkled, whining, fake hair, fake tan, barbie doll of a wife but her anger and resentment comes across as very understandable. These two quotes really tugged on the heartstrings:

I couldn't promise never to hurt him.

Some day, somehow I'd screw him over and break his heart. I wouldn't understand why or how it happened, I only know that it would.

I absolutely loved the last two paragraphs and had a lump in my throat when Jazz talks about her kids and her plans for the future. Beautiful story. :D

GROWING PAINS

Impact. That was what she was aiming for, impact. She wasn't entirely sure why but she had a sneaking suspicion it might have been something to do with what Nicole said at dinner the night before. That little madam had been so scathing about her new haircut saying she didn't know why she had bothered seeing as nobody would notice.

"Not at your age, nobody cares when old person have an image change. They still look old... and boring".

Well, thought Morag, she'd show her just what kind of impact a "boring, old person" could have. This would certainly put that snotty nosed, self-obsessed little princess in her place. After examining herself in the mirror she glided out of the bathroom suppressing a smirk at the look of shock on Ross's face. Yup, this plan was going to work.

"Good grief, woman, what the hell have you done!"

"Oh for goodness sake, Ross, anyone would think I'd done something completely ridiculous like dyed my hair blue."

"Morag, have you taken leave of your senses? Should I fetch a doctor? What the.. I mean... WHY?"

Morag almost felt sorry for her new husband as he stood before her spluttering incoherently. He was a man. He'd never understand. After all, how do you explain this? This feeling that she had. She was getting old and people didn't notice her anymore. A woman liked to be noticed, to attract attention for more than just their mind. Ross said he loved her and she didn't doubt that but she had an undeniable feeling that he loved her for her "good company" and not because he found her irresistibly attractive.

She moved over towards the full length mirror and took a better look at herself. The stilettos she had forced her feet in were killing her but pain was beauty after all and they did look good. The fishnet tights looked classy as they offset her long slender legs. She wondered if maybe the purple pleated mini skirt was a little excessive but then she remembered that it was shock value she was aiming for. Yes, it had to be worn. Her boobs felt crushed, squashed up in the tight black boob tube but the way they had been forced up gave her the best cleavage this side of Yabby Creek. Finally the crowning glory, the long blonde extensions she'd spent all morning having put in. Oh yes, Miss Prissy Pants Franklin, people will definitely notice this boring old lady.

"I know what I'm doing Ross."

"But Morag, the nose ring?"

Oh grief, she'd forgotten about that. Wait till he catches a glimpse of the tattoo..

She picked up her new Leopard print handbag, "Shall we go to lunch?"

As Morag entered the kitchen she almost exploded with laughter at the horrified look of surprise on Roman's face. Funnier still were his attempts to mask his natural reaction and act like he hadn't noticed her dramatic change of appearance.

"Lovely day today", he said looking flustered. "I've got the day off can I make you some lunch?"

"No thank you Roman, Ross and I are due to meet Alfred and Martha for lunch at the diner in half an hour...", then an idea amused her, "Maybe we'll go early so I can catch up with Colleen. I'm sure she'll be delighted to see her sister." She couldn't keep the smirk off her face this time.

"Colleen... Colleen.. I need to speak with you!", now Morag was really starting to enjoy herself. Colleen emerged from the kitchen face full of excitement at being acknowledged by one of her new found siblings. As she saw Morag her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open.

"Now I'm no prude but I can almost see your bloomers from here"

"Bloomers? I haven’t worn bloomers for nearly 40 years. I'll have you know I'm wearing my new thong Colleen", at this she heard Ross at her side muttering something incoherently.

Colleen stared at her baffled, "Are you going through some kind of mid-life crisis? Now I’m not one to gossip but I did happen to hear that poor Mrs Mildew suffered one of those just before she had that funny turn where she danced naked on the roof of her caravan singing Barbie Girl and waving the cat around her head. I tell you, when she tried to jump over that TV aerial..."

"STONE THE FLAMIN' CROWS WOMAN!!!"

"Hello, Alfred." Morag straightened up and tried to act casual.

"What the blazes is this in aid of?"

"Is what in aid of?"

"THIS!"

"Aunty Morag, you've pierced your eyebrow"

Grief, she had forgotten about that as well. Poor Martha, she looked lost for words.

"Yes, I just fancied a little change. Shall we eat?".

Now this was more like it. When Aden had entered the living room she had been delighted to see his eyes almost fall out of their sockets. She followed his stare as it moved straight to her breasts. He looked almost transfixed by them. For the first time in quite a while she felt rather sexy. It made her feel rather silly thinking that.

"Hellooooo Morag. See, I knew it."

"Knew what?"

"You want me, don't you. That’s why you got all dressed up for me"

"Yes of course, Aden, I've been here for months desperately waiting for the opportunity to dress up sexy and jump your bones. How did you guess?" Her voice was practically dripping with sarcasm.

"Well I'm sorry to disappoint you, gorgeous, but you'll have to fight off Belle first."

Morag snorted as Aden made his way for the stairs.

"Oh, and Morag, if you do decide to have some kind of naked mud wrestle over me let me know so that I can watch..."

The cheeky little...

"WHAT THE HELL...?"

Morag looked up to see Nicole standing before her. It had been a good day so far. She had shocked Ross, disturbed Roman, disgusted Alfred, frightened poor Martha, turned on young Aden and Colleen had almost agreed to disown her. Now came the best bit.

"So it's true then?"

"Yes babies do come from the stalk."

"Huh?"

"I'm so wasted in Summerbay," Morag sighed, moving over to sit on the sofa. "What’s the matter, Nicole? Stop gaping at me like a half-wit."

"All day everyone has been banging on about your makeover from hell... but this... this is worse than I could have ever imagined."

"What, you mean people noticed?” She replied raising her eyebrows in mock surprise.

"Well of course they noticed!! How could they not???"

"But, Nicole, I thought you said nobody noticed when old people had makeovers?” Morag smiled to herself as Nicole's face contorted. She could see Nicole struggling for a decent comeback. “Incidentally, Nicole, has anyone noticed your new hairdo today?"

"Well no... but that was just because they were too busy talking about you."

"What you mean this boring, old hag upstaged you?"

"Whatever... I'm going to bed."

Morag laughed to herself. Ah yes, it had been a fantastic day.

Morag sat on the bed rubbing the soles of her sore feet. Those flipping shoes! She looked up as the door opened and smiled as Ross entered the room.

"What are you up to, darling?"

"Oh, just planning the moves I'm going to use on Belle during our naked mud wrestling match"

"Naked what?"

"Mud wrestling... to win a chance at a lifetime of teen angst, rippling muscles and self-destruction.."

"Nope, you've lost me this time."

"Ahhh... probably for the best. I don't think I could leave you for Aden anyhow. I mean there's no denying the sex would be great but that boy has more baggage problems than Heathrow Airport!!"

"Heathrow Airport? Morag, have you entirely lost the plot?"

Morag sighed heavily. "Quite possibly." She leaned back resting against the headboard of the comfy bed and indicated to Ross to move next to her. "I just... I'm feeling old... and it sometimes feels as if I'm in a room and nobody notices. It's like they see me and their eyes flick to somewhere else and they have immediately forgotten all about me. I'm not interesting to them. I'm just there. An object in the room."

Morag felt the warm touch of Ross's hand on her knee.

"Darling, if I have ever made you feel like that I apologise but you see, you have it all wrong. When I walk into a room and you’re in it then you are all I see. I'm in awe of you. Every time I see you I think to myself why does this classy, sexy lady love me?’"

As Morag embraced her husband she came to a decision. She was going to grow old gracefully and she didn't care if the rest of the world ignored her. Ross noticed her and that was enough for her.

That night as she got ready for bed she saw Ross admiring her. She felt more of a woman than she had ever done before.

"Erm darling... "

"Yes dear?"

"The tattoo of my face on your butt cheek?"

"Oh darn it!!!"

END

A NEW BEGINNING

June 10th - that's the day I'll get to hold my beautiful baby for the very first time. How do I feel? Excited, nervous, happy - so, so happy - scared, more scared than I ever remember being before. But peaceful. That sounds weird, huh? Five months pregnant - to a man who's engaged to another woman - single and, oh, did I mention being pregnant?

I guess...I guess somehow this just feels right...you know? I mean, I've been trying to be a better person - Jazz Curtis, mother, friend. Not Jazz Curtis, gold-digging slut who sleeps with other people’s husbands. Jazz Curtis, who packs her son off to boarding school, cheats on her husband and tries to rob her son of his grandmother’s will. I want to be someone my son can be proud of, I want my child to be proud to call me her mummy.

Yes, it's a girl. Amber Curtis. Although it should probably be Amber Curtis-Holden. I guess it would help if Tony knew he was about to be a father again. But he's happy, he and Rachel. They're getting married and I just can't ruin that for him. I just can't do it, not to Tony. You see, I've screwed up a lot of lives, caused a lot of pain but I'm not that woman anymore. I won't be that woman. The woman who lunches and talks shoes with you then leaps with your husband while you put the kids to bed. I left that person behind the day I found out I was pregnant - actually a little while before that.

You see, my son Drew, he hated me. Not your ordinary I-hate-you moment from your hormonal teenage son. No. When I looked into his eyes I could see how much he truly despised me. I could see the pain and hurt that had built up over the years, that I'd allowed to build up.

And when your child looks into your eyes and tells you how much he hates you it kinda hits home. And it did. It hit me really hard that I'd been the worst mother. No, actually that would involve actually being some sort of mother, and I wasn't. I wasn't a mother, just some woman whose DNA he happened to have. But that moment that he looked into my eyes and told me he hated me and meant it, I knew I had to change. Because no matter what people thought of me as a mother I loved him. I truly did, and it took me the hardest slap in the face - worse than any cat fight I've ever had - to make me truly know it. And I needed Drew to know it too. I needed to earn the right to call myself a mother. His mother.

It took a while, a whole lot of hard work, a bucketful of tears, a couple of heart to hearts, but I think we're ok now. Still, not a day goes by when I don't regret not being a mother to him. Not being there to see him off to school, not being the face he saw at the school gates, never being there to share stories of his day at school or cheer him on at sports days, never driving him to soccer practice. But I'm grateful that I realised the mistakes I made, that he gave me the chance to put things right. He's living in the city now with his dad and his wrinkled, whining, fake hair, fake tan, barbie doll of a wife . I'm trying to be a better person, I truly am, but seriously does it have to stretch to being nice to her?

Anyway, I'm working as a receptionist at the school and now I'm just being an ordinary woman living in a beautiful sea side town. That is, ordinary as in expecting my ex's baby, that no one is actually aware is his because I told them it was some random stranger's. Tony himself doesn't know. He doesn't even remember. He was drunk, you see. I was less so. It was just before he and Rachel got together properly and we were just two friends enjoying an evening together. Until, well, you know...

He was hung up on Rachel though and, well, I know Tony. He's a good man and his guilt would have got in the way of starting anything up with Rachel - even though technically he didn't betray her as they weren't officially together. Technicalities don't mean much to Tony. Morals and values and feelings - those things do. So I couldn't tell him, could I? I loved him too much.

Wow! How stupid does that sound? I loved him so I didn't tell him we were having a baby together and I let him start a relationship with another woman and get engaged to her. But I thought he really felt something for Rachel and she was good for him. Stable and secure, no baggage or issues. By the time I found out I was pregnant he and Rachel were pretty serious and I didn't want to be the other woman. Not with Tony.

You know, I despised Rachel at the start, thought she was a stuck up, self-righteous cow. But I know she's good for Tony. Better than I could ever be. I could promise to love him more than life itself, I truly could, but...

I couldn't promise never to hurt him.

I wouldn't mean to but I would. Some day, somehow I'd screw him over and break his heart. I wouldn't understand why or how it happened, I only know that it would. It's just easier this way, Tony with Rachel, me as a mother. Besides I can't really see myself doing the white picket fence plus 2.4 children thing.

I remember the day I found out. I'd been feeling nauseous and dizzy and really, really tired. It was after I fainted at school that Miles took me to see a doctor. They did a couple of tests and that was it. I was pregnant. I was scared, really scared, but there was no way I was not having this baby. No way. This was my new start. A chance to start over, to be the mother I never was with Drew. Drew knows now that I love him and I'll never forget the moment he told me he loved me last October, just before he left Summer Bay. I was so proud to be his mother, proud that he was my son, proud that we'd come so far.

With Amber, I am going to be the best mother I possibly can. You know, drive her to soccer practice, bake cookies, play dress-up with her, make her lunch. Be the first face she sees as she comes out of the school gates. Play dolls with her, tuck her in at night. All the things my mother never did with me. All the things I never did with Drew. I'm going to be Jazz Curtis, mother to two beautiful children.

And it won't even matter that the rest of the world won't see me as the perfect woman, the perfect mother, the perfect human being. It won't matter if I don't have their total respect or approval. It won't matter if they look down on me or don't treat me like one of them. If Amber can grow up knowing I love her, if I can be a good mother to her, to her and Drew, if she can look at me and tell me she loves me, then that will be enough.

More than enough.

END

• 3 months later...

When is the next fanfic challenge? Isn't there normally one in January for script writing? I'm determined to get organised this year and enter it.

You need to contact the MODs to find out about fanfic challenges or scriptwriting comps. As far as I know, Coral Drouyn (who's written for H&A and other TV shows :) ) arranges the scriptwriting comp through Dan F :unsure: and as far as I can recall the last scriptwriting comp was in March/April :unsure:. But, like I said, you'd need to contact the MODs to know anything for sure. :)

Archived