The Homework Help Thread

Guest Kimmy

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, can anyone help me please?

My English Language teacher has written:

Semantics

Evidence in the changes of meanings of words; whereby a word acquires more negative connotations is called Pejoration and the process whereby a word acquires more positive connotations is called Amelioration,

Can anyone expand on this? Or give me examples, so that i know what it means?

Also if anyone can give me any information on; 'ellipted words such as definite or indefinate articles or conjunctions'. Does this mean 'omissions'?

I'd be grateful for any help!

xxx

I'm not sure if it counts, but there are certain words that traditionally had a different meaning to how they are now used, such as "gay", which means "happy" or "cheerful" but for some reason now means "homosexual".

It's the obvious example that springs to mind, I'm sure there are plenty of others though. What about words people use to describe things that are good or bad, like "hot", "cool", "wicked" etc. are all used to describe things that people think are good, but really have completely different meanings altogether.

Hope that was of some help :unsure:

Archived