Should they have brought Danielle Spencer as a re-cast Roo instead?

beau_t

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/03/2017 at 3:49 AM, Skylover said:

Has she? I've never heard of her other than Home and Away.

She's done quite well for herself locally, but I guess most of her roles wouldn't be known internationally. In the last couple of years she's played Noelene Hogan in the Hoges, had regular roles in House Husbands and The Time of Our Lives and was also one of the most recognisable presenters from the current Play School line up.

She also did a year on All Saints in the late 90s, where she incidentally starred alongside Georgie Parker!

On 05/03/2017 at 9:30 PM, Skylover said:

Didn't like her in a 'love to hate her' way though. Just didn't think she was all that good. Way prefer Georgie Parker.

I actually liked both Roos, despite the fact they are completely different characters. I don't think it's far to compare Georgie and Justine as they are portray Roo in two different stages of her life. You can't really compare actors who played Duncan (what is it with Alf and rebellious children?!) for much the same reason. In both cases the later day character is obviously a nicer person, but that's not to say that Justine and Brendan did a bad job. In fact, they clearly did a good job to make you hate the character.

5 hours ago, adam436 said:

I actually liked both Roos, despite the fact they are completely different characters. I don't think it's far to compare Georgie and Justine as they are portray Roo in two different stages of her life. You can't really compare actors who played Duncan (what is it with Alf and rebellious children?!) for much the same reason. In both cases the later day character is obviously a nicer person, but that's not to say that Justine and Brendan did a bad job. In fact, they clearly did a good job to make you hate the character.

Don't want to sound horrible but the 2nd Roo is better-acted.

To be honest, yes and no. I think if they were going to recast Roo then Danielle Spencer would have been a decent choice, and she does resemble Justine Clarke.But I think if they'd brought Roo back at this point for this storyline then they'd have made a mess of it.Some of Quinn's actions, like manipulating Alf into turning on Ailsa, feel like the sort of thing Roo would have done in her early days.During the 90s, the show seemed determined to perpetuate the myth that Ailsa and Roo never got on which is complete nonsense: They got on fine and were actually pretty close after Alf and Ailsa's reunion (well...apart from when Nicholas stirred things up).So I get the feeling that if they'd brought Roo in at this point then she'd have been some panto villain written by people whose research consisted of seeing one episode from March 1988. Whereas aside from a few wobbles the present day show has actually done a good job of keeping Roo consistent with the character she'd developed into by the end of her first stint. So I guess what I'm saying is: Yes, if they did it right.

(And yes, Justine Clarke was in the first two seasons of All Saints in the late 90s, looking absolutely gorgeous, and one of her first scenes was with Georgie Parker which was a huge metatextual jolt.)

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, adam436 said:

It's that damn Stewart gene! All four of Alf's kids were f***ed up in some way! Child Bashers, Scheming Bitches, Poison Dwarves! (at least two of them reformed, though) The Grandchildren weren't much better to start with (Ric the meathead bully, Martha... Well, actually she was okay to start with).

I can imagine if Gordon were alive he'd be like "Stone the flamin' crowes, THIS is what I've unleashed on the World?" ?

59 minutes ago, Old H&A Fan said:

There's only one Roo, and that's the one with the blonde hair who went out with Frank and had the baby to Brett

There is only one Roo - she's just had brown hair and a different face since 2010

1 hour ago, Old H&A Fan said:

There's only one Roo, and that's the one with the blonde hair who went out with Frank and had the baby to Brett

It's not like they DIDN'T ask Justine Clarke a bajillion times to come back, she was always busy. In the time it took Roo to return, We had Frank return 3x, Martha (the baby, currently in Nabes) and even Brett come back lol

Archived