Which characters were axed?

adam436

Obviously certain characters over the years have been axed, rather than the actor choosing to leave, but I am just wondering which ones?

Ones who definitely were: Floss and Neville McPhee, Lynn Davenport, Michael Ross, Simon Fitzgerald, Liam Tanner, Casey Mitchell, Brad Armstrong, Kit Hunter (in 2004) and Roman Harris.

There are a bunch of characters who I suspect might have been axed, but I don't know 100% for sure. I've listed why I think the characters might have been written out, but perhaps someone can clarify:

• Carly Morris - I only suspect she was because Sharyn didn't do much afterwards. I get the feeling that the producers didn't want to make her a widow or recast Ben, or maybe they'd felt they'd done all they could with her.
  • Most of the 1996-1998 gang - they weren't exactly the most popular characters. Aaron, Stephanie and Tegan didn't stick around very long, and knowing that Casey and Liam didn't choose to leave makes me think the others may have been too.
  • Luke, Sarah and Tug - they all left around the same time and I am pretty sure Sarah said in an interview the three of them went to make way for new characters (presumably the 1994-1997 gang).
  • Angelo and Liam - I am pretty sure I read somewhere they were axed. Both were paired off with women who ended up with Braxtons. Once the Braxtons arrived, it seemed all the time invested in these couples meant nothing.
  • Tony Holden - his sons were both gone and I get the feeling the writers didn't want to make him a widower for a third time. The Walkers arrived around that time, so I get the feeling he was axed to make way for them too.
  • The Nashes - I get the feeling they too were axed to make way for the Sutherlands, especially Joel, who seemed to "drift" after Natalie left.
  • Judith, Edward and Peta - Edward and Peta were great characters but relatively short-lived, which makes me think they didn't choose to leave. Judith was bland, but she was redundant after Edward and then Joel left. The school was even sufficiently staffed with Sally and Fisher.
  • Brodie Hanson - she was a truly awful character and in hindsight I get the feeling the producers were planning ahead and got rid of her before the Hunters moved in.
  • A few others - Charlotte Adams, Rob Storey, Josie Russell, Kelly Watson, Henry Lawson, Donna Bishop and Alex Bennett. They weren't exactly the most popular characters and most of them barely lasted a year.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martha and Hugo were probably axed, due to Jodi's sour relationship with Network 7 and Bernard's involvement in the unpopular people smuggling storyline.

Elijiah was definitely axed. For a character I actually really liked during his original stint in 2010, they made a real mess of his return in 2011. They were clearly relying on his eventual pairing with Leah, because when the producers realised the idea made everyone's skin crawl he was immediately written out. Jay Laga'aia publicly accused the show (and Network 7) of neglecting ethnic diversity on Home and Away (he is right about that), but I strongly suspect he was in fact axed because the character was not sustainable.

Gina never seemed to have much of a fan following, and her exit facilitated the relationship between John and Marilyn.

Spencer Harrington.

Jessica Grace Smith pretty much admitted that it wasn't her choice to leave the show.

I would be very surprised if Oscar, Hannah, Skye and Wayne, and Greg Snelgrove were not all axed.

Spoiler

Josh and Andy, Chris Harrington

9 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

Martha and Hugo were probably axed, due to Jodi's sour relationship with Network 7 and Bernard's involvement in the unpopular people smuggling storyline.

Elijiah was definitely axed. For a character I actually really liked during his original stint in 2010, they made a real mess of his return in 2011. They were clearly relying on his eventual pairing with Leah, because when the producers realised the idea made everyone's skin crawl he was immediately written out. Jay Laga'aia publicly accused the show (and Network 7) of neglecting ethnic diversity on Home and Away (he is right about that), but I strongly suspect he was in fact axed because the character was not sustainable.

Gina never seemed to have much of a fan following, and her exit facilitated the relationship between John and Marilyn.

Spencer Harrington.

Jessica Grace Smith pretty much admitted that it wasn't her choice to leave the show.

I would be very surprised if Oscar, Hannah, Josh and Andy, Skye and Wayne, and Greg Snelgrove were not all axed.

Hide contents

Chris Harrington

Didn't Spencer leave on his own choice? It seemed like it

Sid Walker. One of the best characters the show has ever had!

I think Andrew Morley has pretty much indicated that it wasn't his decision to leave and that he felt mistreated by the show. They'd pretty much given up on Spencer by the end of 2013, especially once Matt was kept on, on the back of Josh and Oscar being introduced, and the show became top heavy of teenage boys with him clearly bottom of the pile when it came to storylines and being paired off.

ETA: Philippa Northeast indicated that the actors had no idea who died in the explosion or who killed Charlotte until late in the day, so it seems no-one knew who was leaving.

Dieter (Shane) quit because he'd had enough by 1995 (Grew tired of Shane's direction, working with Melissa George).

Melissa (Angel) probably thought it was time for her to spread her wings after 3.5yrs as Angel.

Floss and Neville got cowardly axed their actors had to read about it! (Not unlike Martine McCutcheon who heard about her EastEnders exit over the radio!)

Think Sally Marrett (Tiegan) decided to leave after two years.

Plans for the Sutherlands were made as early as mid-1999 probably with the raft of exits. 

Think Sharyn decided to leave around the same time as Julian.

Nick Freedman (Alex Bennett) quit to make music.  Matthew Lilley left to play dad.

I think Jess Tovey and Todd Lassance decided to throw in the towel

14 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think Andrew Morley has pretty much indicated that it wasn't his decision to leave and that he felt mistreated by the show. They'd pretty much given up on Spencer by the end of 2013, especially once Matt was kept on, on the back of Josh and Oscar being introduced, and the show became top heavy of teenage boys with him clearly bottom of the pile when it came to storylines and being paired off.

ETA: Philippa Northeast indicated that the actors had no idea who died in the explosion or who killed Charlotte until late in the day, so it seems no-one knew who was leaving.

I'm surprised about Spencer. At the time, he was my favourite of all the young males, but I guess being a "nice guy" means you won't last long on Home and Away, even if you are hot. What is even more bizarre is that they kept Chris on without Spencer, as he has been very much a spare part ever since (I still think he's a great character though!). I'm glad Andrew has found work elsewhere, even if he is playing an absolutely dull character and being paired off with a truly awful one :P

14 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I haven't seen the full article/interview, but is it possible that Philippa meant the actors knew who was going to die in the explosion or who killed Charlotte because there were 7 actors leaving the show, so it could have literally been any one of them? Oscar, Hannah and even a few of the others being axed would fit in with the "massacre" rumours that emerged late last year though. :unsure:

If any of those 7 were axed, there are certainly others I would have gone for over them (e.g. Phoebe, Kat, Ash, Nate). I guess that's always the case when a character is axed though - there is always going to be someone who will say "I would have axed this person over that person" and so on.

Archived