Cerise

Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

188 posts in this topic

I always thought she was brought back as full time to replace Bobby. It was pretty soon after Bobby died and she ended up in beach house and diner

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I always thought she was brought back as full time to replace Bobby. It was pretty soon after Bobby died and she ended up in beach house and diner

I had a bad feeling of that too as I hoped they still would have brought in Irene as a regular even if Bobby was staying as I like friendship that Irene and Bobby had year before.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

They're quite different age demographics though, or do you mean as a replacement waitress at the Diner? Why would they go for bringing back Irene rather than introducing a new character?

Edited by Edward Skylover

Posted (edited)

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there wouldnt  have been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Edited by Blaxland 89
1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there would of been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Or Irene could had  just move in with Bobby.

12 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there wouldnt  have been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Very interesting thinking and I think you're very much onto something there! Never really thought of Irene as a Bobby replacement but the way you've put it definitely seems to make sense!

In some ways the Irene of today is similar to that of the early years showing at the moment. Although she has lost that comic element to her. In the later 90s and early 00s she was a little wiser and keen to become more educated. Less brash, more understanding. She had a nice development but it's all gone a bit skew-whiff. 

I have to say I sadly agree with Irene's flaws now.  

At least Leah's just standing up for her son, and even though Leah may not be at her most likeable at moment, at least she is supporting VJ!