Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

1 hour ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I always thought she was brought back as full time to replace Bobby. It was pretty soon after Bobby died and she ended up in beach house and diner

I had a bad feeling of that too as I hoped they still would have brought in Irene as a regular even if Bobby was staying as I like friendship that Irene and Bobby had year before.

10 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I always thought she was brought back as full time to replace Bobby. It was pretty soon after Bobby died and she ended up in beach house and diner

They're quite different age demographics though, or do you mean as a replacement waitress at the Diner? Why would they go for bringing back Irene rather than introducing a new character?

Edited by Edward Skylover

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there wouldnt  have been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Edited by Blaxland 89
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there would of been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Or Irene could had  just move in with Bobby.

12 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I suppose my thinking is that if Bobby didn't leave there wouldnt  have been an available adult full time character. I'm just assuming this. May not be true. Although Bobby was younger she did go from teenager to an older character with no in between as many seem too. She had already taken in tug and Sarah for a short time. So she was filling in that role. If she had stayed I'm sure it would of been her who identified with Selina and taken her in and so on. 

Very interesting thinking and I think you're very much onto something there! Never really thought of Irene as a Bobby replacement but the way you've put it definitely seems to make sense!

• 2 weeks later...

In some ways the Irene of today is similar to that of the early years showing at the moment. Although she has lost that comic element to her. In the later 90s and early 00s she was a little wiser and keen to become more educated. Less brash, more understanding. She had a nice development but it's all gone a bit skew-whiff. 

• 2 months later...

Glad we are having a break from Irene's character at the moment. Even before the baby storyline I was getting fed up with her character.

I hope they write Irene again like she was in early the early 2000s when she was not the short tempered and biased person she has become.

I know other characters like Marilyn and Leah seem unlikable at the moment but that's more because their characters are going through tough times due to their storylines.

I think the main problem with Irene is how inconsistently her character is written. One episode she is like Ailsa giving advice and being wise and the next episode she acts like she is a female version of Alf losing her temper with someone. It's been that way since around the time of her returning to work at the diner in 2004.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone grown a bit tired of Irene's character?.

I mean, she has become a bit more likable since she  has been back from her  break but before that I was really sure Irene was being very selfish and unlikable. The thing that annoyed me most was she wanted custody of Luc and I really don't think she's the right person for custody seeing as Irene is coming up for retirement and would be 84 by the time Luc is 20.

The other thing that annoys me is how hypercritical she is by wanting Heath and Bianca to sort things out and then in very next scene wanting Hunter and Olivia to break up. Also the way she looked down on Cheryl Braxton. Irene was even worse than Cheryl once. Irene used to beat up her kids, at least Cheryl never beat up her kids.

I don't want Irene to leave the show but its more I don't want Lynne McGranger to leave!.  

• Like 1