The Sutherlands

Guest neighbours_h&a_fan

We're not that far in Norway yet (book launch tomorrow I think). I think he's very much like a12year old at times, but he also have his mature side..and he's very vice, sort of. It doesn't matter that he's not realistic as long as he's not soapy. And he certainly is unique..

And Sebastian sure is a awesome actor. For his age, I'd say he's the best ever on the show!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Suthos are/were my fave family ever on H&A. I liked every single one of them (including Max/Dylan/Shelley/Beth/Laura...).

A lot of people didn't like them because of how much screen-time they tended to hog, but I genuinely enjoyed the very vast majority of what they did during their time on the show. I couldn't care less if they hogged all the screen time, because what they did in that time, I loved.

Yeah, the Sutherlands were great! It's true they had alot of screentime but as long as it was filled with good and interesting stories, what does it matter? When all the Sutherlands had left it was kind of like.. ok, what now? But I think the show has picked itself back up again! :D The Sutherlands were a huge part of the show for a while but now there are a whole different mix of people who take that place, which, I suppose is better than it being focused on one person/family. :)

Is it me or Lucas is like really boring? He's like a Henry, only he is now in the teen group

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They haven't given him anything to do yet. I suspect come the new year he will get a decent story, and I hope it doesn't involve one of those interminable teenage break up make up break up get back together stories. :P

I loved the Sutherlands and really miss them. :( I think it's great to have one family at the centre of things, but it can't last. I mean, how much more could they go through without it becoming laughable? I wish they hadn't all left separately though, especially in such quick succession. For a family that was supposedly so close it seemed quite sad. I think Rhys, Shelley, Max and Jade should have all gone together.

The good thing about them was that, even though I didn't *love* them all as characters, they were all interesting as individuals. Even Laura was a great character. They were a varied bunch who loved each other but didn't always get on, and that made them fun to watch. Sometimes they annoyed the hell out of me (especially Jade!) but I never stopped liking them.

Long live the Suthos! :D

There was a time back there when H&A pretty much became "the Sutherland Show". People moaned on about it because it was just overkill.

Max never bothered me too much.....and I quite liked the fact that he was a break from the average 12 year old brat-type (Duncan, Sam, Henry etc). And some 11 year olds are quite different from the norm. Max was just a different, outcast type of kid with unusual sorts of interests for his age. I liked that about him. Perhaps becasue I could relate... <_<

As for the others,.....couldn't stand Jade, She was sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, whingy little good goody. Dani was of course a whiny selfish princess. Rhys was a bit creepy. Shelley was too cold. The only one I really liked was Kirsty. I wasn't really sorry to see tham go at all.

They did get some excellent storylines, but I do recall those days when entire episodes would simply revolve around the Sutherlands.....they were in every story, every scene..all the other characters were neglected becasue of it, and it becane a bit ridiculous.

The Sutherlands had their time, run their course, and I am glad the show has moved forward and realised when that particlaur family had run its course. There is nothing worse than a soap that desperatley clings to the past because they cannot create anything original for the future. *cough*eastenders-this-means-you*cough*

There was a time back there when H&A pretty much became "the Sutherland Show".  People moaned on about it because it was just overkill.

Max never bothered me too much.....and I quite liked the fact that he was a break from the average 12 year old brat-type (Duncan, Sam, Henry etc).  And some 11 year olds are quite different from the norm. Max was just a different, outcast type of kid with unusual sorts of interests for his age. I liked that about him. Perhaps becasue I could relate...  <_<

As for the others,.....couldn't stand Jade, She was sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, whingy little good goody. Dani was of course a whiny selfish princess.  Rhys was a bit creepy. Shelley was too cold.  The only one I really liked was Kirsty.  I wasn't really sorry to see tham go at all.

They did get some excellent storylines, but I do recall those days when entire episodes would simply revolve around  the Sutherlands.....they were in every story, every scene..all the other characters were neglected becasue of it, and it becane a bit ridiculous.

The Sutherlands had their time, run their course, and I am glad the show has moved forward and realised when that particlaur family had run its course. There is nothing worse than a soap that desperatley clings to the past because they cannot create anything original for the future. *cough*eastenders-this-means-you*cough*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well when Rhys married Beth, the Sutherland family consisted of Rhys, Beth, Scott, Dani, Kit, Jade, Kirsty, Robbie, Matilda, Henry, Max and Kane. At one point 12 of the show's characters were Sutherlands (or at least Rhys Sutherland's step-children or son-in-law), when you think that the cast is about 22 people, that's half the cast being Sutherlands. With both Shelley and Brodie returning as guests in 2004 and the arrival of Laura and also David, in that year there were 16 members of the extended Sutherland 'family' on the show. I think this is why people got so fed up of the Sutherlands, as with there being so many, every episode had a strong Sutherland presence, and the few episodes where they all appeared at the same time had little else in them.

One thing that I never got about Max was that he was a genius one minute and then completely simple the next.

Take late 2002 when Angie was visibly wrecking Shelley and Rhys' marraige, but Max somehow thought she was nice.

At the same time he was committing fraud off Colleen.

He should also have been charged with girlslaughter. Whilst Blake took Meg to the beach and she died peacefully Max dragged Eloise around Sydney from pillar to post, and that Eloise probably died from exhaustion rather than leukemia.

Max also suffered from "no-friends" syndrome, Matilda and Henry were just what he needed and then he left.

I think he should have stayed with Colleen.

I miss Kirsty and Max. But not Dani, Rhys, Shelley and Jade. Max was a great character. So was Kirsty. I liked Jade at first but then she just got annoying. Rhys I never really liked same with Dani and Shelley was okay but when she moved to the City and came back in 2003 she had turned into a snob. I mean Kirsty nearly died because her precious David didnt want her to have the operation.

Archived