The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just finsished the audio book of Because I'm Worth It, by Cecily Van Ziegesar. Looks like the next one I'll have to read in book form, my library doesn't have it on CD. Edwina Wren, the narrator, is getting better, except for the accent she uses for Vanessa, which is somehow more annoying than it used to be.

As for the book itself, I'm not impressed by the continuity - when Ken invites her to the Cannes film festival, Vanessa makes no mention of the fact that she already has a ticket, which Serena gave her at the end of You Know You Love Me. And he tells her about his next project, the same one that he started to tell her about in All I Want is Everything, six weeks earlier. And why has January been entrely skipped over anyway?

Also, I couldn't help but be amused by the seemingly untentional irony in Owen being Cary Grant to Blair's Audrey Hepburn. They appeared in one movie together, in which Cary's character was lying to Audrey's character from minute one, and assuming three false identities through the film. Even if this was deliberate, it's hard to believe Blair didn't see it coming.

Has anyone read A Thousand Splendid Suns? I think it's my favourite book of all time (and i love to read lots.) It's so beautifully writen, and i found the story captivating. I also really loved Purple Hibiscus. I highly recommend them both :)

Ive just finished Nelson Mandela's bibliography, The Long Walk to Freedom, which is amazing and inspirational but took me a long time to finish.

I'm also reading the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series. They're really funny and easy to read. It's nice to have something light to read every once in a while.

Archived