The Book Thread

MarMar

I went to a charity shop that is just for books, videos and music. For $7.50 I managed to get:

Selected Stories of H.G. Wells (Includes The Time Machine)

Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories by Jack London

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

... And another book that escapes me :lol:!

Plus I found my printed list of that Gilmore Girls' reading list thingie and managed to find online copies of some of the classics (something about copyright being up therefore legally put on the web)

I have so many books on my shelf. PLUS I just found out what novel we are reading for English Literature but I ain't sure of it. If anyone has read The Child in Time by Ian McEwan could you please tell me.

I had that Gilmore Girls reading list but only ended up reading one of the books.

Right now I'm reading Darkness be my Friend - John Marsden

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just finished reading Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger author of The Devil Wears Prada.

I didn't really know what to make of the book - still don't.

At times I found myself not wanting to read on but I wanted to finish it. I guess it was ok, just not as good as I had hoped it would be.

I bloody hated that book- So much. I watched The Devil Wears Prada and then decided to read it- which was a great idea because I loved it. But then there was this one and I came out of it thinking I must be a misogynist. I wanted to throttle all three of the women- just urgh.

I just finished reading 'good in bed' by Jennifer Weiner and I'm going to pick up the sequal tomorrow. For school I'm reading Anna Karenina which in all honesty makes me wish I was a man it is that depressing. :)

I've just finished reading Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White" Better than Oliver Twist, not as good as Wuthering Heights.

I've also started reading Doctor Death by Jonathan Kellerman. I've read one of his a couple of years ago, forget the title. It's not bad so far. My money's on the lawyer.

I've just finished reading Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White" Better than Oliver Twist, not as good as Wuthering Heights.

I love The Woman in White. :D I did nineteenth century fiction for my entire third year of uni and it got pretty hard-going at times, but that was definitely a highlight.

I love The Woman in White. :D I did nineteenth century fiction for my entire third year of uni and it got pretty hard-going at times, but that was definitely a highlight.

I'm doing Victorian Age in Literature, in which the texts are the three I mentioned plus Middlemarch by George Eliot. I don't like Oliver Twist because the characters aside from Nancy are all so one-dimensional. Middlemarch is a good story, but the BBC miniseries was a lot better because the book is too bloody long. Woman in White was OK, but Sir Percival Glyde's secret is hardly as Earth-shattering as the two that Walter specualtes it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Twilight for the first time. I see why so many people like it :D! At first I was put off by all the hype surrounding it, but I'm glad I was talked into reading it :D!

Next I'm going to read Dear Fatty by Dawn French.

Archived