The Book Thread

MarMar

At the moment I am reading Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews.

I remember watching the movie when I was younger and loving it but now, I really think they screwed up. The movie is nothing like the book, and the book is so much better. There are rumours about the people behind Saw III doing a remake, with it staying true to the book.

Spoilertagging so don't read if you want to check out the book youself.

The storyline is complex throughout. It makes you cry, laugh and, even though you know incest is bad, you feel happiness for the two who embrace it. They are locked in an small room for 2/3 years, while they grow from children to teenagers. With this information, you understand why the two oldest siblings turn to each other for comfort. There is a horrific moment, where they finally embrace their lust for each other. The problem is you don't know whether to be horrified by this moment or love it.

Throughout, you don't know who to hate more. Do you hate the Grandmother, for making her daughter lock away the four children? Or do you hate the mother, for putting money over her love for her kids?

The book starts off slow but as you go along, you become more and more intrigued until finally, you can't put the book down.

I would recommend this book to anyone.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series, just to see what happens after the events of the attic.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds intruiging, Muse....

I'm reading 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult. (Well, actually, I finished it yesterday :P) Anyway, it's truly amazing. She's like THE best author I've evr read a book of. She deals with extremely serious issues in her books and she does every last bit of research for them. Absolutely brilliant. I'm collecting hers now/ I have 6 at the minute.....

I'm reading 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult. (Well, actually, I finished it yesterday :P ) Anyway, it's truly amazing. She's like THE best author I've evr read a book of. She deals with extremely serious issues in her books and she does every last bit of research for them. Absolutely brilliant. I'm collecting hers now/ I have 6 at the minute.....

I love Jodi Picoult but I found her latest book The Tenth Circle pretty disappointing and predictable. However I loved her earlier books and My Sister's Keeper is the best one. I've read nearly all of them. Her new boon "Nineteen Minutes" will be here in March I think.

At the moment, I'm reading Blaze by Di Morrissey. I really recommend Di's books. They are easy to read.

I have recently finished reading Peter Kay's autobiography and Ricky Tomlinson's autobiography. I didn't think much of Peter's autobiography. It didn't tell us much about his life except what he was like in school and the jobs he had as he was growing up. I wouldn't reccomend it. Ricky Tomlinson's however was absolutely brilliant. I assumed a lot of things about his life but it's only when you hear it from the horse's mouth that you realise how wrong you can be.

I'm reading 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult. (Well, actually, I finished it yesterday :P ) Anyway, it's truly amazing. She's like THE best author I've evr read a book of. She deals with extremely serious issues in her books and she does every last bit of research for them. Absolutely brilliant. I'm collecting hers now/ I have 6 at the minute.....

I love Jodi Picoult but I found her latest book The Tenth Circle pretty disappointing and predictable. However I loved her earlier books and My Sister's Keeper is the best one. I've read nearly all of them. Her new boon "Nineteen Minutes" will be here in March I think.

At the moment, I'm reading Blaze by Di Morrissey. I really recommend Di's books. They are easy to read.

ohhh another Jodi Picoult fan! yeh! I loved My Sister's Keeper. It made me cry so many times. The ending was so....unexpected.

I haven't read 10th circle. I'll be ordering it soon though. I finished 'The Pact' about 3 days ago, which BTW, I cried at! and at the back of the book there is the first chapter of 'Vanishing Acts' so I thought I'd read it, even though that wasn't the one I intended to read next. Once I'd read that first chapter, I was hooked, so I ended up completely changing the order I'd read them in. I'm reading VA next and THEN 'Keeping Faith'.

It's funny, because I only discovered her by accident. It was a while back, when we lost out internet connection for months. I went to the library to use their internet and once my time had ran out, I thought I'd have a browse at the books, that's when I found 'Salem Falls' which was the first I read and the one that got me hooked on her. After that I was searching the libraries for her books, and then stopped and decided to buy them instead.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be grateful for not having the internet! :P

I'm reading 'The Pact' by Jodi Picoult. (Well, actually, I finished it yesterday :P) Anyway, it's truly amazing. She's like THE best author I've ever read a book of. She deals with extremely serious issues in her books and she does every last bit of research for them. Absolutely brilliant. I'm collecting hers now. I have 6 at the minute.....

Omg!!! We have Jodi Picoult fans on the board. Yey!!! I read My sister's keeper at xmas and my gosh it was absolutely brilliant. I have to say that has got to be my favourite book ever!! It was so well written and kept me hooked. Although, at times it got really really emotional and I had to put it down or I would have been in tears. I've got Keeping Faith and really hope to read really soon. I agree she deals with very serious issues where people have got very different views about and she doesn't really make you side with any issues but lets you make up your own view. In other words, she's not biased at all.

Archived