The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read any of her books yet but, from what I can gather, the plot-lines seem to be based around very real issues such as suicide, euthanasia and stem cell research.

Yep. Got it in one, Jess. They're very......legal. (I so could not think what word to use) Things like sexual abuse and murder. Except 'My Sisters Keeper' that one is completely different. I wouldn't say her books are for the faint hearted......

EDIT: I could type up the blurb summery things if anyone wants me too....

Sure :)

These are only for the ones I have.

Salem Falls

Jack St Bride was once a beloved teacher at a private girls' school - until a students crush sparked a power keg of accusation and robbed him of his career and reputation. After a devastatingly public ordeal that left him with an eith-month jail sentence and no job, Jack resolves to pick up the pieces of his life. He takes a job washing dishes at Addie Peabody's diner in the quiet New England village of Salem Falls and slowly starts to form a relationship wih her,

But a quartet of teenage girls harbours dark secrets - and they maliciously target Jack with a shattering allegation. Now, at the centre of a modern-day witch hunt, Jack is forced once again to proclaim his innocence: to a town searching for answers, to a justice system where truth becomes a slippery concept written in shades of grey, and to the woman who has come to love him.

---

My Sister's Keeper

In my earliest memory, I am three years old, and I am trying to kill my sister. Sometimes the recollection is so clear I can remember the itch of the pillowcaseunder my hand, the sharp paint of her nose pressing into my palm...

Anna is not sick, but she may as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and injections to help her sister, Kate, fight leukaemia. Anna was born for this purpose, her parents tell her, which is why they love her so much.

But now she can't help but wonder what her life would be like if it wasn't tied to her sister's..... and so she makes a decision that for most, at any age, would be too difficult to bear, and sues her parents for the rights to her own body.

---

Keeping Faith

Mariah Wite thought her life was pretty much perfect. A wife and mother was all she ever wanted to be.

So when she catches her husband with another woman, her world falls apart. And when her daughter, Faith, begins to confide in an imaginary friend, her own brush with insanity takes on a darker meaning.

Then Faith appears to start performing miracles, and all at once the situation is spiralling beyond Mariah's control. Is Faith truly seeing God? Or is she just a troubled little girl seeking refuge for her parents' divorce? And is Mariah fighting for what's best for her child? Or a desperate mother using her daughter to get the world's attention?

---

Plain Truth

A shock murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania Amish Country - and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm

The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to it's core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen year old Katie Fisher, an unmariied amish woman believed to eb the newborns mother, took the child's life.

When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney, comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to defend Katie, two cultures collide - and, for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep into the world of those who live 'Plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also look deep within - to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past comes back into her life.

---

Perfect Match

What happens when you do all the right things for all the wrong reasons?

As an assistant district attorney in York County, Maine, Nina Frost prosecutes the sort of crimes that tear families apart. But when Nina and her husband Caleb discover that their five-year-old son Nathaniel has been sexually abused, it is her own family that is devastated. The world Nina inhabits now seems different from the one she lived in yesterday; the lines between family and professional life are erased; and answers to questions she thought she knew are no longer easy to find.

Overcome by anger and desperate for vengeance, Nina ignites a battle that may cause her to lose the very thing she's fighting for.

---

Vanishing Acts

Why would a man who loves his wife - so much that in the quarter centurt since her death, he hasn't found someone to take her place - why wouldn't he have a record of the life he's had with her, of the baby they'd made?

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father, Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fiancé, and ajob she loves, finding missing persons.

But as Delia plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can’t recall. And then a policeman knocks at her door, and her world fractures into something unrecognisable...

---

The Pact

The Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other for eighteen years. They have shared everything from family picnincs to chicken pox - so it's no surprise that in high school, Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more.

So when midnight calls come in from the hospital, no one is prepared: Emily is dead at seventeen froma gunshot wound to the head, inflicted by Chris as part of an apparent suicide pact. He tells police the next bullet was meant for himself. A local detective has her doubts. And the Hartes and Golds must fact every parent's worst nightmare and question: do we ever really know our children at all?

---

The Tenth Circle

There is more than one way to lose a child.

Daniel Stone had thoughtit would never happen to him. How could it, when Trixie's face lit up every time she saw him, when for her whole life he'd been the centre of her world? But recently it seems, without him noticing it, his daughter is gone, and in her place is a stranger.

Until the night fourteen year old Trixie comes home from a party claiming she was raped, and suddenly she needs him more than ever. Because the whole school knew Jason Underhill broke Trudie's heart, but that doesn't make him a rapist, does it?

For Daniel, there is no doubt: his daughter is innocent. He has failed to protect her once. Now he will do anything to save her.

---

Mercy

What would you do for someone you love? Would you lie? Would you leave? Would you kill? These are just some of the questions confronting the characters in Mercy, which follows the path of two cousins driven to extremes by the power of love.

Cameron MacDonald has spent his life guided by duty. As the police chief of a small Massachusetts town that has been home to generations of his Scottish clan, he is bound to the town's residents by blood and honor. Yet when his cousin Jamie arrives at the police station with the body of his wife and the bald confession that he's killed her, Cam immediately places him under arrest.

The situation isn't as clear to Cam's wife, Allie. While she is devoted to her husband, she finds herself siding against Cam, seduced by the picture James paints of a man so in love with a woman that he'd grant all her wishes… even the one that meant taking her life.

Into this charged atmosphere drifts Mia, a new assistant at Allie's floral shop. When an inexplicable attraction leads to a shocking betrayal, Allie faces the hardest questions of the heart: when does love cross the line of moral obligation? And what does it mean to tryly love another?

---

Nineteen Minutes

Sterling is a small, ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens - until a students enters the local high school with an aresnal of guns and starts shooting, changing the lives of everyone inside and out.

The daughter of the judge sitting on the case should be the states best witness - but with her boyfriend dead and her childhood friend charged with muder, she's struggling to remember what happened in front of her own eyes...

Nineteen minutes asks what it means to be different in our society, who has the right to judge someone else - and whether a person is ever whom they seem to be...

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished 'This book will save your life' by AM Holmes. It was the best thing I've read in ages. :D

Yeah, i've seen that around, what's it about?

I'm re-reading "Sloppy Firsts," "Second Helpings" and "Charmed Thirds" by Megan McCafferty, who's the best teen/young adult author i've ever come accross, but i think her books are only published in the US.

Also, i just finished "Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell, which was quite good, but took me a while to get in to.

Archived