The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read it and liked it but it was quite fluffy. She's a good writer but she does the kind of books that give chick lit a bad name (except PS I love you, which had some substance to it). Not sure whether to bother with the latest one or not, the plot sounds pretty bad.

PS. Nachocheez, you'll come to appreciate Macbeth later on, trust me! We read it at school and by the end most people actually liked it. It's definitely one of the better Shakespeare plays!

I read it and liked it but it was quite fluffy. She's a good writer but she does the kind of books that give chick lit a bad name (except PS I love you, which had some substance to it). Not sure whether to bother with the latest one or not, the plot sounds pretty bad.

PS. Nachocheez, you'll come to appreciate Macbeth later on, trust me! We read it at school and by the end most people actually liked it. It's definitely one of the better Shakespeare plays!

nachocheeez: When I first started reading Macbeth for my GCSE English course at school, I hated it. I found the language really hard to understand. However, by the end of the play I loved it. I found the pyschological elements of the characters' personalities really interesting and whether Macbeth had actually caused his own fate or whether it was the witches etc. OK, I'll shut up now, I could go on and on about it all day! If you're finding it hard, maybe buy a good set of study notes to help you to explore the play and what is going on with the characters etc.

Beyond Mombasa by Frank Coates.

I discovered this book while away in my caravan recently. Set in the late 1800's it is the story of the building of the railway from Mombasa to Lake Victoria. It particularly focuses on the life of the young wife of the engineer as she copes with life beyond civilisation.

Tears of the Masai by Frank Coates. His earlier novel. It is the story of a a young white man and his relationship with a Masai girl and the struggles and prejudices from both sides of the fence.

Both great books if you like historical fiction.

Beyond Mombasa by Frank Coates.

I discovered this book while away in my caravan recently. Set in the late 1800's it is the story of the building of the railway from Mombasa to Lake Victoria. It particularly focuses on the life of the young wife of the engineer as she copes with life beyond civilisation.

Tears of the Masai by Frank Coates. His earlier novel. It is the story of a a young white man and his relationship with a Masai girl and the struggles and prejudices from both sides of the fence.

Both great books if you like historical fiction.

They both sound like books my mum would love to read, thanks for those I'll pass the names onto her!

Edit: Just realised that sounds as though I'm taking the mickey - but I am being serious :P

Archived