The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urgh, Jane Austen. I have never understood the hype surrounding her. Emma was good, because Emma was such an interesting character but I find the rest of her novels to be utterly predictable, repetitive and really stiff. I know that's a reflection of the period she was writing in, but her work bores me to tears. Whenever an Austen book was on my reading list at uni it would fill me with dread.

Just finished reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Washington square by Henry James. They were both part of an english course so i had to (classic novels of english literature) But now for my own enjoyment today i started reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Pretty good so far...

I have a couple of chapters left of Memoirs of a Geisha and I'm absolutely loving it. Haven't seen the film, but from what I've heard of it I might stay clear. The last thing I want is to ruin such a good book by watching a terrible film version!

I eagerly read Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" for my English Literature course last sememster, after having it on my shelf for at least 2 years. Somehow, those two years made all the difference, as I had tried to read it when I first bought it, but found it rather boring.

When I was done, I tried getting through "The Autograph Man", but stopped half-way through. The critics were right, it didn't match her debut novel. When I heard about "On Beauty" I decided to wait till it was released in paperback, the date set to the 6th of July. I got a newsletter from a Norwegian book-site saying there were selling the Norwegian translation in hardcover these days, so I decided to check when they would be selling the English paperback and found that they already had it with "delivery in 5-10 days". Too good to be true, I ordered it late last week, paied for the cheapest shipment and it arrived today - 21 days before it's released in the UK as a paperback. All I can say is "Hah!"

Tags: books

Archived