The Book Thread

MarMar

I bought myself a copy of Jane Eyre a while back and I really want to read it but time is just escaping me - especially with exams now. My English exam is on Friday and I have't actually finished reading Persuasion - I know the plot and have read all of the analysis, but the last two chapters remain unread! (Before anyone starts telling me off panic mode is already making sure I know how stupid that is.) My other English texts are As You Like It (Shakespeare) and The Franklin's Tale (Chaucer - how it can be called English literature when it hardly resembles English really frustrates me).

I studied jane eyre last year for as english too i think it is a really good book once you get into it this year im reading tender is the night plus hundreds others ive just read it for the second time you find out so much more of the book when you read it again

i also didnt do chaucer i did poetry by robert Browning dont know which one would of been worse this year we are doing paradise lost along with issues of america in 19th century

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told by my English teacher that the time traveller's wife was a good one to try, so I might try to track down a copy at some point. On the other hand, Dan Brown books are taboo in discussion at my school - unless you're the kind of person who reads anything - the RE department goes to great lengths to remind us its fiction. I'm hence a little stuck - because I'm intrigued as to what all the hype is about, but if I read the book or see the film I'll never hear the end of it.

You really should read The Da Vinci Code. I can't believe your school is like that, it's like censorship. You're entitled to read whatever you like, who says they even have to know about it! Yes, the book is fiction, but it's based on historical fact, so I personally would say that it has educational value. It's good to open your mind to things like that if you've only ever been taught one set of ideas. Plus it's a really good story. :)

Also, I find it very intriguing that the church in general is making such a huge fuss about the whole thing. Surely if it was purely fiction they would have nothing to worry about? Methinks they protest too much...

I was told by my English teacher that the time traveller's wife was a good one to try, so I might try to track down a copy at some point. On the other hand, Dan Brown books are taboo in discussion at my school - unless you're the kind of person who reads anything - the RE department goes to great lengths to remind us its fiction. I'm hence a little stuck - because I'm intrigued as to what all the hype is about, but if I read the book or see the film I'll never hear the end of it.

You really should read The Da Vinci Code. I can't believe your school is like that, it's like censorship. You're entitled to read whatever you like, who says they even have to know about it! Yes, the book is fiction, but it's based on historical fact, so I personally would say that it has educational value. It's good to open your mind to things like that if you've only ever been taught one set of ideas. Plus it's a really good story. :)

Also, I find it very intriguing that the church in general is making such a huge fuss about the whole thing. Surely if it was purely fiction they would have nothing to worry about? Methinks they protest too much...

I also think that the Church is making a big deal out of 'The Da Vinci Code'. After all, it's just a work of fiction and by ranting about it so much they're giving it the kind of publicity that other films can only dream of. If there had been a big increase in the amount of witchcraft because of 'Harry Potter', then maybe they'd have a point that such films would have an incredibly detrimental effect on society, but as far as I can see there has been none, so what have they got to worry about? They're not going to gain any more kudos as being right if they're just going to shout people down into taking their view, IMO, it would be better if the Church presented people with all the un-biased facts and then let people make their own mind up, but I somehow can't see that happening anytime soon. And I am a Christian, but personally see no problem in going to see the film or reading the book because it is purely a work of fiction, I just think that the Catholic Church have shot themselves in the foot by covering stuff up for so long. Because I believe that all this false stuff has been around for ages, but that the Church wanted to hush it to stop controversy, and now they have more controversy than ever!

Anyway, I'm gonna stop now 'cos I've rambled and ranted and I'm sorry if that was my most incoherent post ever, it's been a loooong day!

this year we are doing paradise lost

I studied Paradise Lost this year as well, and I hated it. I appreciated the genius behind it, and the complexity of it but I just yawned my way through it.

Archived