The Book Thread

MarMar

On 2 August 2015 at 6:49 AM, xGlowingAngelx said:
On 1 August 2015 at 10:14 PM, Romeo&Indi Forever said:

Necessary  Lies by Diane Chamberlain

I don't usually discuss books but if you are a fan of Jodi Picoult you'll love books by Diane Chamberlain I've read quite a few and rather enjoyed them and just because her writing style is similar to Jodi Picoult.

The first Diane Chamberlain book I read (The Lost Daughter) was originally recommended (on BTTB, I think!) to me "as a fan of Jodi Picoult"...... Whilst I appreciate they're both great writers, and both write about hard-hitting subjects, I personally feel that's where the similarities end. 

I don't know why (and I'm not suggesting Diane Chamberlain isn't as good a writer as JP) but when I read a DC book, I'm always very aware its fictional. Whereas when I read Jodi's, it's like I'm living them. I guess it's just very much down to personal opinions though. (And I will say that The Lost Daughter is one of my favourite books!)

Speaking of both Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain, I'd also recommend Susan Lewis books to fans of the other two. In a way, I think Susan Lewis is kind of combination of both JP and DC. I've read 5 Susan Lewis books in the last 5 or so months (started the 6th today) and have loved them all. She's also an incredible writer (the flaw I will say with Susan Lewis is that some of her books are slow burners and take a while before anything happens, but when it does, things get SO good!)

So yes, I started Behind Closed Doors by Susan Lewis today. I'm only 36 pages in, so I can't really give an opinion on it yet, although the action / main storyline kicked off pretty much within the first 2 chapters. We'll see how it goes! 

I also finished All The Bright Places yesterday, and I would 100% recommend it. Absolutely loved it, despite not expecting to and going into it with low expectations. I gave it 4*/5 on goodreads (the missing star was because I didn't feel quite as connected to the characters as I would have liked to, given the subject matter, which is all I'm going to say so as not to spoil it for anyone else.)

I read The lost daughter not long ago and a few other books by her Summer's child, The Silent Sister, The first lie a mini book before Necessary Lies, The Lies we told  Before the storm and Secrets she left behind (Mini series) 

I am still reading Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlin and I'm thinking after I finish that I might read another one of her books Midnight Confessions

Summer's Child was an interesting read on  Daria's eleventh she found a baby left on the beach and she brought it home to her mother which later the family adopted the baby years later after the parents have died and   the child is 22 we find out that their Next door neighbour  Rory who was 14 at the time and Daria's sister Chloe who was 17 at the time are the child's parents  but everyone thought it was their  cousin Ellen.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfriendly Compititon by Jessica Burkhart at the moment I'm reading most of the Canterwood Crest book series the ones I have in paperback edition before I can start reading the ones if have on my kindle its a series of books about a boarding school which also has a riding stables on it. My to read list is huge and my book shelf is full

The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlin I have paper books but lately I'm buying all mine for kindle from the Amazon store. This is a good read even though I'm only like 11-12 pages in.

Midnight Confessions by Diane Chamberlin I have paper books but lately I'm buying all mine for kindle from the Amazon store. This is a good read even though I'm only like 11-12 pages in.

My parents have been trying to convince me to get a Kindle for ages, so I tried my Mum's a few weeks ago to see if I liked it, and I just couldn't read on it at all. I felt really distracted and very aware of everything going on around me in the room, something that I don't get with the physical book. 

I bought 2 more books yesterday too (I keep trying to put myself on a book buying ban until I've read my current tbr's, but it's too difficult when I walk passed so many beautiful books. I have no willpower). I bought Where She Went by Gayle Forman (The sequel to If I Stay, which I haven't yet read because I wanted to get Where She Went first so I can read it straight after) and I also bought The Shock Of The Fall by Nathan Filer. I haven't heard too much about this book in general, but it's got good reviews on goodreads, so I'm quite looking forward to it. The cover of The Shock Of The Fall is gorgeous too:

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/1_of_us/others/tsotf_zpsjjxde4wt.jpg

My current read is still Behind Closed Doors by Susan Lewis. It's good, but it's also suffering from one of my least favourite things in books: TOO MANY CHARACTERS. I get that these people all have a part to play in the story, but I get so frustrated trying to keep up with so many characters. Anyone else have this problem?

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz. What a very odd and very disappointing read that was. I wanted a good horror story but the book never really knew what it wanted to be really. Horror or comedy  Dean Koontz also seems to take quite awhile getting to the point of having things happen in his stories I think His just not as good as Stephen King I don't think 

I started The Girl on the Train on Monday (I think it was Monday anyway!) and I finished it about 10 minutes ago. I thought it was ok, but that's as excited as I can get. It didn't grip me as much as I was expecting it to, and I found myself not really liking any of the characters, nor particularly caring what would happen to them by the end of the book.

I liked the book. It was quite well written, but I didn't find it particularly exciting either.

I guess for me it's more of a "I'm glad I can at least say I've read it" type of book, rather than a "I'm SO glad I read it" book.

Initiation by Jessica Burkhart

sometimes I like to go the Op shop and see what old childrens books I can't find ones that arnt in print anymore. I recently found a few Baby Sitters Club books and Baby Sitters Little sister books years ago I found some Degrassi Junior High books and Sweet Valley books. Loved reading the Baby Sitters Club when I was a tween what are some books you like reading a tween?

sometimes I like to go the Op shop and see what old childrens books I can't find ones that arnt in print anymore. I recently found a few Baby Sitters Club books and Baby Sitters Little sister books years ago I found some Degrassi Junior High books and Sweet Valley books. Loved reading the Baby Sitters Club when I was a tween what are some books you like reading a tween?

I remember reading a Sweet Valley book. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was sort of a thriller. Something about a film set maybe? My minds blank!

I finished Gayle Forman's If I Stay yesterday. I have to say I was slightly disappoined by it. I watched the movie adaption a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, so I expected the book to be even better (because the book always is, right?) but I just didnt really feel anything when I was reading the book. I was kind of glad to finish it, to be honest.

I have the sequal (Where She Went) to read next, which apparently a lot of people think is better than If I Stay, so I'm intrigued to read it.

I started The Girl on the Train on Monday (I think it was Monday anyway!) and I finished it about 10 minutes ago. I thought it was ok, but that's as excited as I can get. It didn't grip me as much as I was expecting it to, and I found myself not really liking any of the characters, nor particularly caring what would happen to them by the end of the book.

I liked the book. It was quite well written, but I didn't find it particularly exciting either.

I guess for me it's more of a "I'm glad I can at least say I've read it" type of book, rather than a "I'm SO glad I read it" book.

Yeah I get that, as I said when I finished it, once that twist came it pretty much played out as expected.

Incidentally it was announced this week that Rebecca Ferguson will be playing Anna in the film (Emily Blunt is playing Rachel).

I finished 'Follow You Home' a few weeks back, which was quite an intriguing read for a while, though I wasn't sure the big reveal was all it was hyped up to be (with the exception of a twist right at the end). Lots of people have mentioned how creepy it was, but I think I must just be desensitised to a lot of things now :P An enjoyable read though!

I did make a start on reading the first couple of chapters of 'Gone Girl' straight after but haven't got back to it yet, found it a bit of a slow start (though maybe I was just tired at the time)

There weren't any particular series of books (proper books anyway) that I read really, apart from a few Goosebumps.

I did love the Usborne Puzzle Adventures though, I've still got a load of them in the loft, I'm almost tempted to go on eBay and complete the set :P Probably why I like the crime/mystery genre now.

When I was in Northumberland last year I went into one of the largest second-hand bookshops in Europe which is housed in an old railway station. I honestly could have spent the whole day in there. The children's section was full of old annuals and a lot of the Ladybird books I read when I was very young - the Read it Yourself books, Puddle Lane, Thomas the Tank TV tie-ins etc.

scotland-nothumberland-7.jpg

Archived