The Book Thread

MarMar

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone read the Divergent series what did you think of it? I'm on the last book now and I don't really like it. The story just seems to stay the same and just seems to blend into one after the first book. I can't remember much of the 2nd book to be honest

Has anyone read the Divergent series what did you think of it? I'm on the last book now and I don't really like it. The story just seems to stay the same and just seems to blend into one after the first book. I can't remember much of the 2nd book to be honest.

Yes I've read them I enjoyed them.

I'm currently reading The Secrets She left behind by Diane Chamberlin. 

The girl on the train, by Paula Hawkins

I'm so torn over whether I want to read that or not. I've heard so much about it, and it sounds quite good, but I've also heard a lot of mixed reviews, and now I'm not sure. Are you enjoying it?

I'm currently reading Don't Let Me Go by Susan Lewis. It's the sequel to No Child Of Mine which I read before it and loved.

It's on my 'To Read' list too, along with countless others on the Kindle, would be interesting to hear what others think without spoiling.

Discussion in here seems very rare nowadays, more just people listing books (sometimes suspiciously quickly :P)

Sorry only seeing this now. I absolutely loved it! It was so gripping! And not what I expected at all! I would definitely recommend it!  

I'll have to pick it up! I went in Waterstones the other day too, and I did buy two books, but that wasn't one of them! I probably wont get it for a while because I currently have 4 still to read, but once I've cut that pile down, I may go onto that.

I'm currently reading All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. I admit this is one of those books where I gave in to the hype (It's always talked about in the Booktube world!). I'm only 56 pages in, because I haven't had much chance to read this week, so hopefully I'll knuckle down to finish it over the next couple of days. It's OK so far. The chapters (at least the first few) are relatively short, which I really like. (Am I the only person that cannot leave a book mid-chapter? I have to be at the end of one chapter and ready for the next before I put it down)

Dan, I know what you mean about discussion. I know I'm one of those posters that tends to list more than discuss, but I do think it's a shame. I think part of the reason though is that the topic title only asks what book, rather than for chatter about books. I've seen a few posts from people in other topics discussing things (on topic) and have had other members reply with "You didn't say what you were wearing/eating/listening to etc" and if we did that in every post (just for the sake of staying "on topic") our book would be the same book for a while. 

Maybe we could change the topic title to "What book / book talk" or something similar, just to encourage more discussion, rather than people worrying they can't discuss a book without being picked out for not listing what they're reading in every post. Just a suggestion, anyway. :wink:

The girl on the train, by Paula Hawkins

I loved The Girl of The Train! I was hooked and finished in a few days where normally takes me a month to finish a book. 

Finished The Girl on the Train and thought it was a very enjoyable read - a great concept which was rather Rear Window-esque. I did find myself flicking backwards a couple of times (that's one thing that's not so easy on a Kindle :p) to keep track of dates as there was a jump in one of the narratives at one point.

Spoilers within:

Once we got the twist of Rachel remembering that she'd seen Tom with Megan, I did think the ending was pretty much as expected - though the ambiguity of Anna's take on things in those final chapters did keep things a bit unpredictable. I fell for the red herring with the man on the train with red hair, spent a fair amount of time thinking he might have been Megan's ex from Norfolk, especially with the story about the baby coming out in the papers, but I guess it must have been the therapist that told them (bit of a loose end there).

I've seen that it's been compared to Gone Girl which is also on the To Read list (before I watch the film).

Dan, I know what you mean about discussion. I know I'm one of those posters that tends to list more than discuss, but I do think it's a shame. I think part of the reason though is that the topic title only asks what book, rather than for chatter about books. I've seen a few posts from people in other topics discussing things (on topic) and have had other members reply with "You didn't say what you were wearing/eating/listening to etc" and if we did that in every post (just for the sake of staying "on topic") our book would be the same book for a while. 

Maybe we could change the topic title to "What book / book talk" or something similar, just to encourage more discussion, rather than people worrying they can't discuss a book without being picked out for not listing what they're reading in every post. Just a suggestion, anyway. :wink:

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing myself for a while now, it wasn't specifically set up as a quickfire thread but has turned into that. Some of those other threads in here are also rather pointless nowadays (I don't think some people realise that posts in this section don't increase their post counts :P )

Anyway, think I will be moving on to either Gone Girl or Second Life now as I previously mentioned, though the reviews for the latter haven't been very favourable.

• Dan F changed the title to The Book Thread

Archived