The Book Thread

MarMar

Just totally freaked out because I couldn't find the "what book?" topic :lol: Liking the title change though Dan! :wink: and so glad for it. I've been on a major readig craze of late and I don't really know many others that read that I can discuss with, so I'm really glad wr have this topic. 

I'm still reading All The Bright Places. I'm just over half way through now, and it's so, so good. I went into it with fairly low expectations, because I knew it was a YA book, and I don't read much YA any more, but I'm so pleasently surprised. Provided real life doesn't get in the way, I'll hopefully have it finished by weekend. 

Whilst we are transitioning this to a general book chat topic as well, I'm quite intrigued to find out how people decide what book to read next. I've seen from a lot of BookTube videos that many people have "to be read" piles that they tend to work through, usually in a specific way. I've never found that works for me though. Whilst I generally try to read series/sequels in order (mainly the reason why I dont tend to read them in the first place), I find that I hate feeling like I HAVE to read a certain book next. I much prefer the carefree way of reading stand alones in any order I please. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got such a backlog in my To Read list that I haven't really been actively searching out new books that much, other than ones I've just generally heard about.

The last big search I did was for the (mainly out of print) novels of John Dickson Carr, purely because he's regarded as the master of locked room mysteries (think Jonathan Creek), and those make up the bulk of my list. When I'm not being that specific then I just tend to browse around the bestsellers on Amazon to see what takes my fancy.

I think if I started subscribing to BookTube channels the list would probably get even more overwhelming :P

I've got such a backlog in my To Read list that I haven't really been actively searching out new books that much, other than ones I've just generally heard about.

The last big search I did was for the (mainly out of print) novels of John Dickson Carr, purely because he's regarded as the master of locked room mysteries (think Jonathan Creek), and those make up the bulk of my list. When I'm not being that specific then I just tend to browse around the bestsellers on Amazon to see what takes my fancy.

I think if I started subscribing to BookTube channels the list would probably get even more overwhelming :P

That's what I'm trying to do too. It was only really about February-ish this year that I really got back into reading after a good year or so of just not doing much of it. By the time I started reading again, I had 5 (only 5, but still) fairly large books on my shelves still to be read. I started with one of those and just really focused on getting through that to read pile before getting any new ones. Once I started them, I pretty much didn't stop (the situation wasn't - or maybe was, depending on the way you look at it - helped by the fact I was going through a really hard time in my personal life, so I used reading the unread books as a distraction, or maybe just a way to pass the day on, I don't know really). Since then though, I've read 7 which, in the space of 5 months, is REALLY good for me. Now I just can't seem to stop.

As for actively searching for books, I've kind of given up with that. I have so many I really want to read, so whenever I'm near a bookstore (or any place that sells books within it) I go in and look and then when I don't find the books I want, I end up just buying other ones anyway. I really suck at sticking to reading the books I most want to read.

Yes, BookTube really does that. It's partly why my "want to read" pile is SO HUGE. It's actually kind of annoying, especially when you think you're finally smashing your TBR pile, but then you just add to it. :rolleyes::lol:

I'm still reading All The Bright Places anyway. It's SO SO good. I honestly was not expecting it to be this good. I only bought it because I wanted another one and they were on one of those "2 for...." offers at Waterstones and I couldn't find anything else. I'd heard such a hype about it that I just thought I'd plunge that one and see what the fuss is about...... boy can I see it!

Necessary  Lies by Diane Chamberlain

I don't usually discuss books but if you are a fan of Jodi Picoult you'll love books by Diane Chamberlain I've read quite a few and rather enjoyed them and just because her writing style is similar to Jodi Picoult.

Necessary  Lies by Diane Chamberlain

I don't usually discuss books but if you are a fan of Jodi Picoult you'll love books by Diane Chamberlain I've read quite a few and rather enjoyed them and just because her writing style is similar to Jodi Picoult.

The first Diane Chamberlain book I read (The Lost Daughter) was originally recommended (on BTTB, I think!) to me "as a fan of Jodi Picoult"...... Whilst I appreciate they're both great writers, and both write about hard-hitting subjects, I personally feel that's where the similarities end. 

I don't know why (and I'm not suggesting Diane Chamberlain isn't as good a writer as JP) but when I read a DC book, I'm always very aware its fictional. Whereas when I read Jodi's, it's like I'm living them. I guess it's just very much down to personal opinions though. (And I will say that The Lost Daughter is one of my favourite books!)

Speaking of both Jodi Picoult and Diane Chamberlain, I'd also recommend Susan Lewis books to fans of the other two. In a way, I think Susan Lewis is kind of combination of both JP and DC. I've read 5 Susan Lewis books in the last 5 or so months (started the 6th today) and have loved them all. She's also an incredible writer (the flaw I will say with Susan Lewis is that some of her books are slow burners and take a while before anything happens, but when it does, things get SO good!)

So yes, I started Behind Closed Doors by Susan Lewis today. I'm only 36 pages in, so I can't really give an opinion on it yet, although the action / main storyline kicked off pretty much within the first 2 chapters. We'll see how it goes! 

I also finished All The Bright Places yesterday, and I would 100% recommend it. Absolutely loved it, despite not expecting to and going into it with low expectations. I gave it 4*/5 on goodreads (the missing star was because I didn't feel quite as connected to the characters as I would have liked to, given the subject matter, which is all I'm going to say so as not to spoil it for anyone else.)

I finished the Divergent series Not a very stand out wow factor set of books for me, But Alleiant had a cool twist that surprised me so that was good

I have the Wayward Pines series to read Has  anyone read them Are they the same as the TV series? I thought that was pretty good

Speaking of Judy Nunn she was in my town recently doing some talk thingie I would of loved to meet her but didn't go I haven't read her books I've heard they are good though. Tristan Bancks (Tug) writes books he writes a series of books aimed at primary school children he has also written two books aimed at teen/young adult Two Wolves and Its Yr Life with Tempany Deckert (Selena)

I've always heard good things about Judy's books but haven't read them myself, not really my sort of thing. I do have a Judy Nunn bookmark though (a promotional one put in the bag when I bought a book in Sydney) :P

Well despite my earlier post I've instead started a different book entirely - 'Follow You Home' by Mark Edwards, it came up in the Thriller bestsellers and caught my eye.

?I've always heard good things about Judy's books but haven't read them myself, not really my sort of thing. I do have a Judy Nunn bookmark though (a promotional one put? in the bag when I bought a book in Sydney) :P

Well despite my earlier post I've instead started a different book entirely - 'Follow You Home' by Mark Edwards, it came up in the Thriller bestsellers and caught my eye.

I'm constantly changing the book I'm planning to read next to a different one. It's so easy to get distracted by something else once it catches my eye. 

I bought two new ones today too. Fire and Rain by Diane Chamberlain (one of her very earliest releases and with possibly the ugliest dust jacket on my bookshelf. If I judged books by covers, I wouldn't have bought it in amillion years.) and THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN!! Basically, there's a customer at the charity shop where I volunteer and shes given me quite a few books (mostly Diane Chamberlain ones) and today she brought a few more in, including those 2.  She also said that she didn't really enjoy TGOTT as much as she was hoping, given the hype. I'm trying not to be too worried because I know people see things differently and I may love it. We shall see. (I paid £1 for it, so I can't complain anyway. Haha) 

That's taken my "to be read on my bookshelves" count to 5 books, so I'm going to try and read at least 3 of those before I buy any more now. We'll see how I go with that! (I may end up having to avoid all stores that sell books for a while - help me! :lol:)

Archived