Classic episodes

Shannon 12

On 06/12/2023 at 22:38, Revealed said:

I watched all these episodes the first time round and don't think I've forgotten any characters in name, but have no memory of what Spencer or Oscar look like to the extent that on todays episode where Spencer appeared I thought it may have been Oscar until it looked like he was going to kiss Evie and the next scene where we see Oscar himself dancing with Maddie who seemed like a clone of Nicole. When Evie first appeared today my initial thought was that I didn't realise April was still on the show in 2014 and dated Josh until I realised it was Evie.

In the first classic episode when I saw Andy in his gym uniform I thought that could just as easily be Tane. 

In the earlier episodes most characters are distinctive but many of the later characters just seem like the same person. Anyone else finding this?

I think part of this might be faulty memory at work: Spencer and Oscar look very different, there's about as much similarity between them as there is between the two Pippas!

I think the show has probably always had a fairly limited scope in terms of looks and, if you're not familiar with them, each successive line-up of young characters probably looks a lot like the previous ones, right from Viv coming in around the time Roo left in 1989. Someone seeing Shane, Angel, Damian and Sarah could argue they're just "clones" of the previous line-up of Blake, Sophie, Karen/Fin and Haydn/Simon. So I'm not convinced this is a new phenomenon at all. Maybe we all just have clearer memories of certain eras!

• Haha 1

On 08/12/2023 at 17:57, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think part of this might be faulty memory at work: Spencer and Oscar look very different, there's about as much similarity between them as there is between the two Pippas!

I think the show has probably always had a fairly limited scope in terms of looks and, if you're not familiar with them, each successive line-up of young characters probably looks a lot like the previous ones, right from Viv coming in around the time Roo left in 1989. Someone seeing Shane, Angel, Damian and Sarah could argue they're just "clones" of the previous line-up of Blake, Sophie, Karen/Fin and Haydn/Simon. So I'm not convinced this is a new phenomenon at all. Maybe we all just have clearer memories of certain eras!

It's not that I think Spencer and Oscar look similar, I've just completely forgot what they look like which I guess could be faulty memory.

I can clearly picture most of the characters you mentioned but I will concede that Haydn and Simon could have easily been the same character. Also from that era I'd say Lucinda and Roxy could have also been the same character.

I do have a clearer memory of the 90s generally speaking. I also struggle to think of any 21st century episodes as "classic" Home & Away even though the show has existed for twice as long in this century as it did in the 20th century. 

• 4 weeks later...

So my memory may be fallible, however I'm pretty sure Mr. Snippy was at work when ITV first showed Bobby's fatal boating accident.

I've just watched the episode for the first time in 30 years; it was definitely shown during the February half term as I distincly recall watching it at lunchtime, which if at school I obviously wouldn't be able to do.

My overriding memory back in 1994 was the freeze-frame being Bobby, Luke and Adam all suspended in mid-air after hitting the log.  But on the My5 version, it's followed by a random scene in the shop with Tug (who's gone to oversee Alf's delivery) before a pan across the water to reveal some floating lifejackets.  So I'm pretty sure ITV cut that final scene.

Does anyone else recall this?

4 minutes ago, James Martin said:

So my memory may be fallible, however I'm pretty sure Mr. Snippy was at work when ITV first showed Bobby's fatal boating accident.

I've just watched the episode for the first time in 30 years; it was definitely shown during the February half term as I distincly recall watching it at lunchtime, which if at school I obviously wouldn't be able to do.

My overriding memory back in 1994 was the freeze-frame being Bobby, Luke and Adam all suspended in mid-air after hitting the log.  But on the My5 version, it's followed by a random scene in the shop with Tug (who's gone to oversee Alf's delivery) before a pan across the water to reveal some floating lifejackets.  So I'm pretty sure ITV cut that final scene.

Does anyone else recall this?

Hey

I have such a different recollection of it been shown on ITV. I remember they for sure showed the actual boat crash but just fell short of the boat hitting the log. They then immediately cut to the pan across the water and never showed Tugs scene. ITV did some weird stuff, but this is my clear recollection but I could be wrong. 

On 07/12/2023 at 03:01, hapitoby said:

Very much so and it's even noticeable when it happens but more so when watching back to back from different eras. A lot of the time they can feel generic or just a copy and paste...

I'd agree with this.  Not to take anything away from the fantastic performance Jess Tovey turned in, but when Daniel Bennett (himself a long-term fan) bought in Belle Taylor in the late 2000's it was clear she was based heavily on Bobby Simpson.  Tearaway teenager, mother was an existing polarising character, turned her life around, met the love of her life then once everything was perfect, died.

1 minute ago, Bri1231 said:

Hey

I have such a different recollection of it been shown on ITV. I remember they for sure showed the actual boat crash but just fell short of the boat hitting the log. They then immediately cut to the pan across the water and never showed Tugs scene. ITV did some weird stuff, but this is my clear recollection but I could be wrong. 

You mean like this?  Although I believe this *may* be taken from the following day's recap.

30 minutes ago, James Martin said:

I'd agree with this.  Not to take anything away from the fantastic performance Jess Tovey turned in, but when Daniel Bennett (himself a long-term fan) bought in Belle Taylor in the late 2000's it was clear she was based heavily on Bobby Simpson.  Tearaway teenager, mother was an existing polarising character, turned her life around, met the love of her life then once everything was perfect, died.

You mean like this?  Although I believe this *may* be taken from the following day's recap.

Yeah exactly like that. That may be what's coming back to me. Thanks :)

Remember also when they completely cut Laura getting hit by the train. I had already seen it months and months prior on Irish TV but then a little while later, when a Laura lookalike turned up they ( ITV ) played the whole thing in a flashback. Whoopsy. Someone wasn't paying attention lol. 

Edited by Bri1231
Typo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bri1231 said:

Hey

Got the ending of that episode on tape recorded from ITV so will have a look at it at some point and see if Tug's scene is included.   

2 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

I had already seen it months and months prior on Irish TV but then a little while later, when a Laura lookalike turned up they ( ITV ) played the whole thing in a flashback.

I don't think they played the whole whole thing, it was just a couple of seconds or so, but yes, they showed stuff we hadn't seen before.

(Similarly, that Shane and Angel documentary they showed one Christmas included a sequence of them cuddling in bed during their overnight stay in the city which had been cut from the ITV screening: The episode ended a few seconds early with them lying apart.)

I did enjoy these episodes. About half of them though were shown last year. It would have been nice to have different episodes. I'm not completely sure which were shown last year. If I can't find the list I will keep a list this year and compare lists if they show classic episodes next year.

• Like 1