Things (not storylines) that haven't aged well

cymbaline

2 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I think faxes continued to be a thing into the noughties in legal and medical circles.

A friend of mine retired from working as a legal secretary a few weeks ago - they're still required to use a fax machine for certain documents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I think faxes continued to be a thing into the noughties in legal and medical circles. 

Some medical practitioners still require referrals and associated documents to be faxed here in Oz.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just watched Shane’s death episode on 7two, and was interested to see angel desperately asking the people if anyone has a mobile phone.  Surprisingly one guy does have one.  I would have thought them quite rare in that time period?

interested to know when mobiles became more of a thing and used in home and away?  

Oh and I love how all the doctors wear white coats in the hospital….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, early years fan said:

Just watched Shane’s death episode on 7two, and was interested to see angel desperately asking the people if anyone has a mobile phone.  Surprisingly one guy does have one.  I would have thought them quite rare in that time period?

interested to know when mobiles became more of a thing and used in home and away?  

Yeah I was surprised too. I'm guessing only business owners would have had them as they were on the go.

On 16/10/2023 at 13:55, early years fan said:

Phones were Still brick-like and cost an arm and a leg until about '99.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I got my first phone in 1999 and that was on a contract. I can't remember what it cost at the time but it mustn't have been that bad because I didn't have a great job at the time. I really liked the phone at the time because it wasn't as much of a brick as other models out there. I've just looked up its dimensions and was surprised to see that my modern-day smartphone is longer than it was.

A while ago, one of the TV channels repeated Peak Practice which was a 1990s British drama series set in the Peak District. I was surprised to see the doctors in that with mobile phones. I've checked what I was watching and they were episodes shot in either 1993 or 1994.

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I got my first phone in 1999 and that was on a contract. I can't remember what it cost at the time but it mustn't have been that bad because I didn't have a great job at the time. I really liked the phone at the time because it wasn't as much of a brick as other models out there. I've just looked up its dimensions and was surprised to see that my modern-day smartphone is longer than it was.

A while ago, one of the TV channels repeated Peak Practice which was a 1990s British drama series set in the Peak District. I was surprised to see the doctors in that with mobile phones. I've checked what I was watching and they were episodes shot in either 1993 or 1994.

Yeah, My Dad gave me £100 to buy my first mobile for my 15th back in '99, I bought a Motorola at Carphone Warehouse (Brick job), and boy that thing ATE credit!

• Haha 1

That's probably the same Motorola brick my brother bought. It had a battery life of approximately 5 minutes and took about 12 hours to charge. 

If they were to film Shane's death nowadays, it's a given that Angel would've rung for help from either her phone or from Shane's. But then, at least one of the other people to come upon the scene would've taken their phone out to film the panic. It'd be on TikTok well before the ambulance arrived.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cymbaline said:

That's probably the same Motorola brick my brother bought. It had a battery life of approximately 5 minutes and took about 12 hours to charge. 

If they were to film Shane's death nowadays, it's a given that Angel would've rung for help from either her phone or from Shane's. But then, at least one of the other people to come upon the scene would've taken their phone out to film the panic. It'd be on TikTok well before the ambulance arrived.

TFFT! Seriously.

TikTok. As if there weren't enough platforms for peoole to be dummies on!