Storylines that didn't age well

project90

On 30/09/2023 at 11:54, cymbaline said:

Way back in the first season, Lance and/or Martin bored a hole in the wall of the shower block so they could spy on nekkid laydeez in there. My memories of those episodes are fuzzy now but I recall it being treated as something of a comedy story. Predictably, they messed up and had to evade the apoplectic partner of their first victim. 

They got a beating on two occasions. When Marty saw Russell on the Door at the Macklin cocktail party, he wasn't risking a third!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2023 at 19:35, Old H&A Fan said:

You mean you can't speak your mind in 2023. I call that regressive and backward, not "progressive and modern". There is nothing good about a man not being able to speak his mind, people are too easily offended these days. You're labelled either a racist, sexist, chauvinist, or misogynist or whatever, if you give an honest opinion these days.

Nowadays, to some people, if a man calls out a woman on her bad attitude, the simp men and feminists call him "threatened by a strong woman" or "misogynist". What strange logic.

In 1988, Don Fisher said if people want to come and live in Australia they should speak English. In 2023 he would get called bigot and racist if he said that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Early episode Tom and Pippa are discussing finances, Pippa suggests going back to work to help out while Tom searches for a job. but Tom feels like this isn’t the right thing to do and feels like his wife shouldn’t have to work

sign of the times, when now this is the norm to have two working parents

So I am up to episode 22, and the storyline around Nico 

apart from the constant teasing and bullying of the poor guy, being referred to as retard and lunatic….I did feel sorry for him.

it was quite sad when his cow died ?

it wouldn’t go down very well today if the local principal led a petition and movement to have a disabled person locked up in a “lunatic asylum”.  I am sure the anti discrimination groups of today would have a bit to say about that!

thank goodness our understanding of autism is a bit better these days.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, early years fan said:

So I am up to episode 22, and the storyline around Nico 

apart from the constant teasing and bullying of the poor guy, being referred to as retard and lunatic….I did feel sorry for him.

it was quite sad when his cow died ?

it wouldn’t go down very well today if the local principal led a petition and movement to have a disabled person locked up in a “lunatic asylum”.  I am sure the anti discrimination groups of today would have a bit to say about that!

thank goodness our understanding of autism is a bit better these days.

yeah gotta agree there Nico’s story has aged horribly but you have to look at it as if you’re watching in 1988, sadly I think Nico was the only character with ASD on the show until Mikey Dunne in 2002?

19 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

yeah gotta agree there Nico’s story has aged horribly but you have to look at it as if you’re watching in 1988, sadly I think Nico was the only character with ASD on the show until Mikey Dunne in 2002?

Yes watching it in 1988 as a naive 15 year old, as opposed to now as a 50 year old with children, one of whom has ASD,  is quite different.

just found it quite heartbreaking to see how he was treated having the advantage of hindsight and personal experience

• Like 1
  • Sad 1