Storylines that didn't age well

project90

On 09/12/2023 at 02:42, adam436 said:

Alf threatening to give Roo "a hiding" after her vendetta against Ailsa came to a head. I know they did the domestic storyline around the same time with the Barlows, but it felt different coming from Alf given he was a main character. 

"You're not too big to go over my knee!"

On 09/12/2023 at 08:02, nenehcherry2 said:

I thought this too. Similar to Tom threatening Carly with the same punishment.

LBH, Carly would test Gandhi's patience at times but then show me a teen that doesn't??

Edited by CaptainHulk

18 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

"You're not too big to go over my knee!"

LBH, Carly would test Gandhi's patience at times but then show me a teen that doesn't??

Carly has a constant scowl (or resting bitch face)? and never seems to smile.  Spends most of the time in tears!  The fletchers show a lot of patience with her 

• Haha 2

Episode 123, something which doesn’t make sense to me, if child services deemed it was too dangerous for Carly to live with her father due to him beating her up, why was her twin sister allowed to remain in his care? 

Allan and bobby, at this stage they don’t know they are half siblings, yet are going on a date.  Does he find out the truth before he dies?

Edited by early years fan

9 hours ago, early years fan said:

Episode 123, something which doesn’t make sense to me, if child services deemed it was too dangerous for Carly to live with her father due to him beating her up, why was her twin sister allowed to remain in his care? 

Allan and bobby, at this stage they don’t know they are half siblings, yet are going on a date.  Does he find out the truth before he dies?

Alan/Bobby's romance = "genetic sexual attraction" before the term was even known...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, early years fan said:

If they went down the road of taking all kids away, there'd be an awful lot of kids in care. Carly's father got on fine with his other daughter, though she had grown to become as vindictive as he was. Later on, Damien Roberts stayed with Irene even though Fin had run away from home. Jack Wilson was another one who was singled out for unfair treatment at home and ousted. 

No, Alan didn't know who Bobby really was. I wonder did the scriptwriters even know? Once you know, re-watching some of their scenes together is a bit icky. 

On 18/12/2023 at 11:38, cymbaline said:

If they went down the road of taking all kids away, there'd be an awful lot of kids in care. Carly's father got on fine with his other daughter, though she had grown to become as vindictive as he was. Later on, Damien Roberts stayed with Irene even though Fin had run away from home. Jack Wilson was another one who was singled out for unfair treatment at home and ousted. 

No, Alan didn't know who Bobby really was. I wonder did the scriptwriters even know? Once you know, re-watching some of their scenes together is a bit icky. 

These days if any signs of those issues existed in families with violence or drug abuse from parents, all children would be removed.

Poor Bertram, ends up in such a bad way, from the accident caused by Carly and bobby It ruined his life.

Then there is Phillip’s hand shut in the car door by Brett Maklin ruining his medical career,

if these things were to occur in todays culture of legal action they would have probably sued the pants off of them.?