Most Popular Character 2022

Chris J

A few of my favourites in this lot including Sophie and Chloe neither of who I voted for but have in the past.I still have three to go which surprises me tbh.

I also find it surprising that Phoebe is so high up considering She was so unpopular around here.I suspect her high ranking is a result of people outside the forum being able to vote.Good for her.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, still none of 2022's new regulars in the latest update, and yet we know they make the chart. I can work out who is left now (give or take a few characters). The Top 60 looks to be a mixture of two groups: top tier legendary characters from across the show's history... combined with, um, pretty much every regular from the last few years.

The current/recent cast don't usually do THIS well en masse. I suspect this is an interesting result of opening up voting to casual visitors to the site and not just forum members.

Not sure what it means, though. Do "casual fans" have shorter memories? Or are they genuinely more positive about the current era than "hardcore fans", who are known (in any fandom, not just H&A) for complaining about the current era and harkening back to the past?

Proof that this year's poll is a much wider sampling of opinion: Everyone in the Top 60 has received more than 36 points each - in the 4 previous polls from 2014 to 2020, only the Top 10 got that many points!

I mean I can't say I would ever vote for any of the newer characters either, but maybe it will be good for this forum to be reminded that the opinions that get repeated on here don't necessarily reflect the opinions of the general Home and Away fanbase ? And I say that with a lot of love for everyone!

Three of the characters I voted for appeared in the most recent update, and I still have two to go. Clearly I was worrying about nothing when I thought I had to personally save my favorite characters from getting no votes.

10 hours ago, jakeyy. said:

Surprised Curtis didn't get a place this year.

I'm not really. He was definitely the least memorable of the teens in that mid-90s peak and it has been many years since he last appeared either in real time or via the Early Years reruns, so has probably faded from people's memories in comparison to the others. When you factor in the number of new characters who must have stolen votes from other characters. I guess the fact it is open to the public 

8 hours ago, SandsResort said:

Wow, still none of 2022's new regulars in the latest update, and yet we know they make the chart. I can work out who is left now (give or take a few characters). The Top 60 looks to be a mixture of two groups: top tier legendary characters from across the show's history... combined with, um, pretty much every regular from the last few years.

The current/recent cast don't usually do THIS well en masse. I suspect this is an interesting result of opening up voting to casual visitors to the site and not just forum members.

I agree! Especially when you consider most of the newcomers from 2021 and 2022 have not been overly well-recieved on this forum. At best, there is certainly divided opinion to the extent I would have expected to have seen many of them already. 

Of my choices - 3 of 5 votes have appeared (Stacey Macklin, Edward Dunglass, Joey Rainbow) have already appeared and generally always sit in the lower ends of these polls anyway, and the other two have legendary status (Donald Fisher and Morag Bellingham), so I don't expect to see them until we get to the top end of the poll. 

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

I'm not really. He was definitely the least memorable of the teens in that mid-90s peak and it has been many years since he last appeared either in real time or via the Early Years reruns, so has probably faded from people's memories in comparison to the others. When you factor in the number of new characters who must have stolen votes from other characters. I guess the fact it is open to the public 

I agree! Especially when you consider most of the newcomers from 2021 and 2022 have not been overly well-recieved on this forum. At best, there is certainly divided opinion to the extent I would have expected to have seen many of them already. 

Of my choices - 3 of 5 votes have appeared (Stacey Macklin, Edward Dunglass, Joey Rainbow) have already appeared and generally always sit in the lower ends of these polls anyway, and the other two have legendary status (Donald Fisher and Morag Bellingham), so I don't expect to see them until we get to the top end of the poll. 

Omg it's good to know someone else voted for Don, I'm hoping he makes the top ten if not the top twenty. I have my fingers cross

Into the Top 60 with those who scored 39-68 points.

mpc22-41.jpg

15 minutes ago, zara grace said:

Don's always my number one.

Anyone want to hazard a guesstimate at how many points the winner received? ?

1 minute ago, Dan F said:

Into the Top 60 with those who scored 39-68 points.

mpc22-41.jpg

Don's always my number one.

He just an icon. I wish the people who started watching the show after he left could watch episodes with him, just so they can see how much of an icon he is as well

It was great to see another one of mine in today, and now I just waiting on one. So glad Christian ranked so high as I voted him, Flynn and Miles as I love them and was worried they wouldn't get in but they all ranked highly then I excepted which makes me very happy

1 hour ago, zara grace said:

Omg it's good to know someone else voted for Don, I'm hoping he makes the top ten if not the top twenty. I have my fingers cross

With nearly all the current regular cast appearing in the top 40, I really can't see Don appearing in the top ten this year. I will gladly be proved wrong though.

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

If it's the character I suspect, I am going to say somewhere close to the 1000 mark. We had over 2000 votes and I could see over a quarter ranking this character somewhere in their list. The number of points will escalate quick the closer we get to the top too. 

1 hour ago, zara grace said:

He just an icon. I wish the people who started watching the show after he left could watch episodes with him, just so they can see how much of an icon he is as well

Donald is an incredibly complex character and Norman played the role with such honesty and emotion. I loved the many facets of his character - the vulnerable side when three of his children died or when he was rejected by Pippa and Judith, the lighter side during his marriage to Marilyn, the authoritarian side in his role as principal and finally his warmth in his relationships with Bobby, Angel and Sam. 

Donald's departure in 2003 left a huge hole in H&A both at the school (when you consider some of his successors as principal!) and the wider cast, as I don't think we have had such a complex character, or even a greater actor as Norman, since. 

Archived