The Year of 2000 What thoughts did you have on the year

KKB

Hey Guys,

What were your thoughts on the year 2000. I loved the year but hated the fact that both Joel Nash and Alisa Stewart left our screens. My favourite storylines were The Mudslide, Edward's Huntington's, Natalie's affair and Sally's non wedding.

Here is a list of Arrivals, Returns and Departures

ARRIVALS

Rhys Sutherland

Shelley Sutherland

Kirsty Sutherland

Jade Sutherland

Dani Sutherland

Ken Smith

RETURNS

Jack Wilson

Pippa Ross

Carly Luncini

Frank Morgan

Steven Matherson

Floss McPhee

DEPARTURES

Joel Nash

Natalie Nash

Tom Nash

Ken Smith

Alisa Stewart

Judith Alkoyd

Tell me your thoughts on 2000  storylines and the year in general.

KKB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed 2000. I had stopped watching regularly in 1998 but happened to be channel surfing one day in 2000 and was hooked again. It seemed really fresh and new with the new theme tune and opening titles (although admittedly the sliding smiling headshots got boring very quickly). I loved Edward and Judith as Edward was such a unique character. There were some great storylines and cliffhangers like Gypsy being in a car crash right after discovering Natalie's affair, and Gypsy's slow motion crying as Natalie leaves have always stuck in my mind.

It was great to see Greg again hot on the heels of Lance and Celia's returns (in 1999 IIRC) and then (after the pre-Channel Five hiatus) the reunion for Sally's wedding and the foster family's last night in Summer Bay House was wonderful. I still can't watch it without welling up. Then the Sutherlands' arrival seemed fresh and exciting. I thought it was clever to introduce the drop in centre and have Shelly working there to keep the troubled teen element without just creating a clone of Pippa and the foster family. I was disappointed it didn't last longer, and that the Sutherlands were torn apart in later years but that's for a different thread.

2000 was the year the show went through a much needed revamp as it had become a bit stale since the mass exodus of memorable characters in 1995/1996 (Roxy, Sarah, Damo, Shane, Angel, Michael) and that exodus culminated with Pippa's exit 2 years later in 1998. The Sutherland family rejuvenated the show. 2000 did sadly see the last of Ailsa (bar her ghost appearances) and the Diner.

I preferred the first 6 months than towards the end of the year. The new theme and titles still make me cringe when I see them as they did when they first aired.  

It was amazing seeing everyone return though. And they where all so true to their original character. 

And 2000 provides us with one of the best ever quotes. 

"It's the wrong flamin flame!"

Forgot the Iconic duo of Lance and Martin in Returns!

2000 felt like a rebirth. It was more consistent than 1999 which had patches of "yeh", "bleh" and "meh".

With TEY being shown (first go-around), they took the liberty of asking back some people from that point.

It's too bad ITV treated the show even WORSE than they had by shaving an episode (In some cases we wouldn't even get a Friday ep), but I was happy to be a week behind Oz. That was actually decent.

Edward's breakdown was one of the most defining moments of the Season. You're laughing with him at first ("Snuffy!") then you're genuinely shocked/saddened when he breaks down in front of Mitch and Peta at the Stewart House.

2 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I preferred the first 6 months than towards the end of the year. The new theme and titles still make me cringe when I see them as they did when they first aired.  

It was amazing seeing everyone return though. And they where all so true to their original character. 

Bear in mind it was the 2000s when Boybands had reached their peak and the producers wanted to go with a BSB/NSYNC feel.

That Olympic stuff cracked me up when the kids swapped Don's torch and Alf legged it after him!

18 hours ago, Spinach said:

You're missing a few people on your list: for returns what about Lance and Martin? And Celia?

For departures: Peta, Edward, Justine.

And for arrivals: Leah.

There might be some more as well.

Opps I was in a rush and forgot about them. They were all good characters

18 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Another for departures -James Fraser and Sam Marshall from main cast. 

and returns -Greg Marshall 

I loved Sam. I totally forgot Greg returned. I thought James left 99

16 hours ago, project90 said:

Arrivals 

June  Reynolds 

Brodie Hanson 

Noah Lawson 

Jude Lawson

I cant believe I forgot Noah and Jude.

9 hours ago, Jeremai said:

I really enjoyed 2000. I had stopped watching regularly in 1998 but happened to be channel surfing one day in 2000 and was hooked again. It seemed really fresh and new with the new theme tune and opening titles (although admittedly the sliding smiling headshots got boring very quickly). I loved Edward and Judith as Edward was such a unique character. There were some great storylines and cliffhangers like Gypsy being in a car crash right after discovering Natalie's affair, and Gypsy's slow motion crying as Natalie leaves have always stuck in my mind.

It was great to see Greg again hot on the heels of Lance and Celia's returns (in 1999 IIRC) and then (after the pre-Channel Five hiatus) the reunion for Sally's wedding and the foster family's last night in Summer Bay House was wonderful. I still can't watch it without welling up. Then the Sutherlands' arrival seemed fresh and exciting. I thought it was clever to introduce the drop in centre and have Shelly working there to keep the troubled teen element without just creating a clone of Pisa and the foster family. I was disappointed it didn't last longer, and that the Sutherlands were torn apart in later years but that's for a different thread.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That happened with my family in 2014 I watch early ones online.

I agree about the freshness of the year and the shots getting boring quickly. I feel that they both were good characters. Your right Edward was a unique character that's for sure.

There were sure some great storylines and cliffhangers that year. I have always wanted to watch that. Yeah Gypsy's slow motion has stuck with me too.

Yeah it was great to see Greg,Lance and Ceila again. I loved the reunion for Sal's wedding my favourite set of returns and yeah their last night in the house was a beautiful way to end that era. Yeah I cant watch without crying either. I never was a fan of The Sutherlands but I agree about The Drop In Centre and keeping that element in the show. It sure was disappointing it didn't last longer. That was just a repeat of The Nashes I thought.

9 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

2000 was the year the show went through a much needed revamp as it had become a bit stale since the mass exodus of memorable characters in 1995/1996 (Roxy, Sarah, Damo, Shane, Angel, Michael) and that exodus culminated with Pippa's exit 2 years later in 1998. The Sutherland family rejuvenated the show. 2000 did sadly see the last of Ailsa (bar her ghost appearances) and the Diner.

It sure was the year for a revamp. Yeah I agree about that. They did rejuvenated the show. Yeah I always loved Ailsa

8 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I liked the first 6 months better than the end of the year because Joel was not on in November and December, The theme makes me cringe too.

The returns were amazing to see my favourite was the return of people for Sal's wedding.

Oh I think you mean the wrong flamgin torch that is a great quote

5 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Forgot the Iconic duo of Lance and Martin in Returns!

2000 felt like a rebirth. It was more consistent than 1999 which had patches of "yeh", "bleh" and "meh".

With TEY being shown (first go-around), they took the liberty of asking back some people from that point.

It's too bad ITV treated the show even WORSE than they had by shaving an episode (In some cases we wouldn't even get a Friday ep), but I was happy to be a week behind Oz. That was actually decent.

Edward's breakdown was one of the most defining moments of the Season. You're laughing with him at first ("Snuffy!") then you're genuinely shocked/saddened when he breaks down in front of Mitch and Peta at the Stewart House.

Bear in mind it was the 2000s when Boybands had reached their peak and the producers wanted to go with a BSB/NSYNC feel.

That Olympic stuff cracked me up when the kids swapped Don's torch and Alf legged it after him!

I cant believe I forgot Lance and Martin they are a crack up. Lots of people have said 2000 was a rebirth and I agree with this.

It is shocking ITV did this. Edward's breakdown was one of the most defining of the year I agree. Yeah you do bare that in your mind. It cracked me up too

Archived