Past, Present and Future

Kellicopter

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pembie said:

Well they do say that you don't visit the exciting places once they are on your doorstep :lol:

I told the 2 year old we're going to go for a picnic next week, just have to decide if we're going to go Mon, Tues or Weds. Weds is due to be warmer (by 1 degree), but we need the best chance of filming.

Anyway, thanks everyone once again for the kind things you say! I'm currently posting what I wrote a few weeks ago but haven't actually had chance to write anything since....So I better get writing! This is a short one...

Chapter 8

It was early Tuesday morning, and the Morgan house was quiet. Buddy was asleep on the sofa, while Justin, Raffy and Brody slept. Keys fumbled in the front door, which woke Buddy. He lifted his head and pulled his body weight off of the couch, towards the door. The door opened and he jumped up at the person in front of him.

“Shhhhh,” Tori said to him, while stroking his head to make sure he didn't wake the rest of the house. She closed the door behind her and crept through the lounge. She grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and headed to her room. Buddy tried to follow, but she shut him out before he got chance to steal her bed.

About an hour later the family started to rise. First Brody, preparing Raffy's school lunch and a quick breakfast for them all. Then Justin, who was dropping Raffy at school on his way to the garage. And then Raffy. She walked out of her room in her school uniform and went straight towards Buddy. “Where's Mason?” she asked the rest of the family.

“Not sure,” Justin looked around “I heard someone come in, but I think that was Tori. I'm pretty sure she worked last night.” Brody and Justin looked at each other while stuffing their faces with eggs on toast. Being brothers they had a bond, a bond which allowed them to know what each other was thinking with the look of an eye. And they were pretty sure they were on the same wave length this time. Raffy didn't really pick up on it, she just shrugged and walked towards the breakfast.

“So,” they both knew what was coming, “when can I interview you both?” Brody rolled his eyes because he didn't want to make a commitment right now, he put his plate in the sink, grabbed his bag and shouted “goodbye” as he left through the front door. Justin shook his head and laughed.

“We'll sort something out over the weekend, okay Raf?” He was a bit nervous about opening up about witness protection, the only people that knew everything were the other Morgan siblings, and he didn't really want to change that. He owed her something as a half sister, but not yet. “Now, go get ready, I'm dropping you to school.”

As Justin and Raffy left the house, Tori was in bed and trying to get to sleep. Her night shift had gone on a lot longer than she expected it to and she was ridiculously tired. But she just couldn't switch her brain off. She closed her eyes and tossed and turned. Nothing. She reached for her phone. No new notifications. She unlocked her screen and scrolled through her library. She found an audiobook she'd started a few months previously. When Breath Becomes Air started playing, not loud, but enough to be echoing around her relatively empty room. She set the timer to 15 minutes, hoping she'd be asleep before it finished. And sure enough, it worked. A story about a neurosurgeon with inoperable lung cancer had sent her to sleep.

An hour or so later, Mason found his way home. He jumped into the shower and washed away the night before. He put on a change of clothes, grabbed a couple of pieces of fruit, packed it in his bag and left the house again. Making sure he gave Buddy a bit of attention before he closed the door behind him.

Great chapter

Liked how it focused on the Morgan family and Raffy wanting to know when she could interview her family about witness protection.

Update again soon :)

Really liked this scene. It's not often we get to just see a family scene where there isn't drama lurking in the background. I'm thinking there's probably more to Tori's sleeplessness and Mason's very quick turnaround (possibly walk of shame?), but for now I'm choosing to ignore that and just enjoy the little family scene of getting everyone ready in the morning. Very well written. 

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. 

I actually managed to write a couple of chapters this weekend, yay! Not sure what I think of them, one in particular I gave a complete different style. I may reread them tomorrow and think they're pants, but just happy to have had a few hours to put some stuff down. Thank you for your lovely comments, and enjoy...

Chapter 9

In school, Raffy and Coco were getting ready for English. As they approached the final lesson of the day, the girls were feeling a bit deflated, but that didn't hide Raffy's excitement for her favourite lesson.

“Have you got all the ideas we came up with?” She asked Coco as they left their lockers to head for the classroom.

“Yeah, they're in my bag somewhere,” she said while putting her bag back on her back.

They walked into the classroom, smiled at Miss Johnson and took their seats next to each other in the second row. Raffy pulled her pencil case and book out of her bag with ease, while Coco just fumbled around looking for what she needed.

The bell rang. Miss Johnson got up to close the door and begin her class. Raffy noticed she was wearing her hair up in a bun today, which was unusual.

“Right,” Miss Johnson started, “today I'm going to give you a quick run down on what I expect to see from your stories that I expect you to produce over the school holidays.”

Raffy took her pen and a blank page in a book, and started writing down every single point her teacher gave them. She ticked off the points she knew that her story was going to cover, and wrote examples of those she wasn't sure of. Coco was looking at her crumpled up ideas sheet and watching Raffy write. She rested her head in her hands and sighed. “You got this,” Raffy whispered to her.

After Miss Johnson finished her run down, she moved around the classroom to talk to each table individually. Coco and Raffy were discussing all the ideas they'd come up with for Coco's story.
“Well first,” started Raffy. “What do you think you'd enjoy writing about?” She was pointing to different items on her list and Coco was nodding or shaking her head. “What kind of films do you enjoy watching? And could you link that to a new type of story?” This made Coco think, and she ticked a few more of her ideas. Coco's favourite film wasn't a secret. She loved kids films, with Moana being her most recent climb to the top. She'd helped Raffy look after Ava one day just so she could watch it again. She thought about how she could incorporate a secluded island in the middle of the sea into a new story.

“I definitely don't think I can write about magic,” Coco stated. “I love HP but I just don't have that kind of creativity.”

Miss Johnson was heading towards their table now. Raffy sat up in her chair and pulled her book infront of her.

“How are you getting on girls? Got some ideas?” She asked them both. Raffy nodded her head with a smile, but Coco still wasn't sure. Miss Johnson sensed the look of worry on her face.

“Think of an experience,” she said. “Anything happen to you recently that you could write about?” Raffy was secretly hoping her life was a bit more exciting than Coco's.

“I guess. I moved here. My mum's the principle.” She said after taking a few moments to think.

“Great,” Miss Johnson patted her back. “Can you not write a story about what it's like to be the principles kid? Maybe change it up a bit, give it some mystery.” Coco smiled and nodded. “It'll help to write about something you know!” Miss Johnson turned her head to Raffy. “How about you chick, how are you going?” Raffy beamed her excited smile and showed Miss Johnson her book.

“My story is about a family in witness protection. How it happened, why it happened, what happened for them to leave it behind.” Miss Johnson looked a bit worried. She knew Raffy was bright, but thought this was a bit of a stretch even for her imagination. “I've got a brief outline of where I'm going with it, see?” She pointed to the page in her book she'd written her plan on.

“If you feel comfortable Raffy, go for it. But please don't hesitate to change your idea if it doesn't work out.” Miss Johnson had left Raffy feeling confused. She got up and walked to the next table.

“Can you believe that?” Raffy whispered to Coco, hoping Miss Johnson wouldn't hear. “She was in no way excited about my story!” Coco understood why Raffy was excited to write about her family's life, but could also see why Miss J would be concerned.

The bell rang and Raffy and Coco gathered their things. Miss Johnson smiled and said goodbye to her class as they left the room.

Archived