Most Popular Character 2016

Dan F

My thoughts on every character polled so far:
112. Cheryl Braxton: Gotta love Chezza, she is hilarious but not much else to say really because she only makes rare appearances.
112. Chloe Richards: Never saw her
112. Corey Henderson: I never saw him much (only in his first episode with Jack), but he does sound interesting
112. Freya Duric: The only thing I remember was when she kissed Nicole, and that the fact that she will always be remembered as being around the last time Xavier touched drugs (One of Xavier's classic lines which he said sparingly over a couple of years was: "Mum I haven't touched drugs since Freya")
112. Harvey Ryan: I never really liked him, and barely remember him because he didn't do much after he married Roo. Wasn't a fan of his departing storyline whatsoever.
112. Joel Nash: Never saw him, but I don't think I would have liked him just judging from a first impression.
112. Joey Rainbow: Never saw him, his name is cool though.
112. Kat Chapman: Not really a massive fan, not really sure why either since I love Ash but I just don't like Kat.
112. Ken Harper: I remember him briefly as a background cop, he was pretty good but I can't really comment further as he flew under the radar heaps, he is probably realisticly retired from the force by now.
112. Lynn Davenport: Never saw her.
112. Meg Bowman: The character that Ray Meagher can never remember the name of when asked about the famous leukemia storyline involving her and Blake Dean, however I never saw it so I can't really comment on it.
112. Millicent Staples: Never saw her, Interesting name however
112. Rachel McGregor: Never saw her
112. Sophie Taylor: I really liked her at first, I thought she was a pretty cool and chilled principal but then we all know what happened after... Was pleased that she was able to have a couple of scenes with her real husband Brax
112. Tug O'Neale: Never saw him, first impression though he sounds like the rough school bully type of character.
102. Andy Barrett: Mixed feelings on Andy, hated him at first then found him funny and a pretty cool character, then from 2015 I went off him. I can tell why he didn't receive many votes, I'm sure many also know too.
102. Damian Roberts: Never saw him, I don't think I would have liked his character though somehow
102. Joey Collins: Thought she was a good character
102. Johnny Cooper: Loved the Cooper brothers, thought their storyline was awesome. 
102. Maddy Osborne: Never really liked her that much. Glad she is gone (but was sad that she lost an arm)
102. Natalie Davison: I never saw much of her character, but she seemed like the type of character that was likeable but not really the type suited to be Brax's soulmate, too nice basically.
102. Rabbit: Thought she was a pretty cool character, enjoyed that storyline as it was something different.
102. Rocco Cooper: Great Character. I really loved his character a lot, I didn't vote for him but was pleased someone did. Deserves to be remembered. 
102. Xavier Austin: I was the only person to vote for him, I really liked his character a lot. I thought he was pretty cool, caring and funny. Surprised he didn't receive more votes but I suppose not everyone is remembered.
102. Zac Macguire: I think he deserved more votes as I think he is a pretty good guy and even though its rarely shown, a great teacher. Almost like the new Miles of the series in a way but Miles is better.
87. April Scott: I found her a bit hard to like, she just seemed a bit annoying at times however her and Dex are a great couple.
87. Atticus Decker: Very pleased that he received votes, I really liked his character. Happy that he was the opposite of the typical snake, backstabbing detective.
87. Barbara Stewart: Never saw her.
87. Beth Hunter: Never saw much of her, but when I did it would have been past 2005 where people have said her character became less prominent and really faded away. I personally wasn't a fan of her at all.
87. Carly Morris: Never saw her.
87: Lance Smart: I have seen a few Lance episodes with him and Martin Dibble, they were a very funny duo.
87. Olivia Fraser Richards: Not a massive fan, her character is a complicated teenager which is great for the show but I personally can't stand her at times.
87. Rebecca Fisher: Never saw her but was sad to hear that 2 of her actors passed away. Seemed like a good character though
87. Rhys Sutherland: Only seen a few Rhys episodes, didn't like him at all. However if I see more of him my opinion will definitely change.
87. Rosie Pritchard: Didn't really like her very much
87. Sam Marshall: Never saw him but seemed like the type of character that I would like
87. Sarah Lewis: I've only seen the episode where she shot Noah then herself, definitely an absolute psycho.
87. Stacey Macklin: Never saw her.
87. Tony Holden: Loved Tony, thought he was so down to earth and a great father and person. Wish he was given more storylines, if he was then I think someone else other than myself would have voted for him. Seems I was the only person who has remembered the Holden clan as well with Lucas definitely on 0 and Jack set to score 0.
87. Eve Jacobson: Never saw her but like Sarah i would have hated her.
78. Gina Austin: Was never a huge fan of Gina, just personally found her boring. I prefer John and Maz over John and Gina.
78. Indi Walker: I thought that she was alright, a bit boring at times and definitely didn't have too many storylines other than the obvious.
78. Jesse McGregor: Never saw him.
78: Kym Hyde: I don't remember him very well but his character seemed alright.
78. Melody Jones: Could not stand her at all.
78. Peta Bradley: Don't remember her particularly well but definitely wasn't very nice.
78. Peta Jannossi: Never saw her.
78: Rachel Armstrong: Thought she was a really great doctor, and I loved her and Tony. 
78: Spencer Harrington: Never really liked him, and he didn't really do much past 2013. Surprised he received votes in all honesty, doubt he will be particularly remembered come next poll.
70. VJ Patterson: I really like VJ and was stunned to find out that one of the best looking guys on the show who is a really decent guy and has had a fair few comedic moments as well as having a really complicated storyline all year round only received 5 votes. He definitely deserves more and should get more next time because I will vote for him.
70. Tori Morgan: I like Tori, she is nice but I wouldn't call her character amazing or great just yet.
70. Tamara Kingsley: Tamara like Tori was also nice, however I didn't really see much of her and the fact that she wasn't there for long makes me not have much to say really.
70. Roman Harris: I liked Roman, thought he was a great character and it was a shame that he didn't last longer.
70. Paris Burnett: Never saw him
70. Jazz Curtis: I thought her character was really funny, especially when drunk
70. Harry Reynolds: Never saw him
70. Duncan Stewart: I really liked Duncan in 2016, thought it was great to reintroduce a character like him and see him grown up to be a fairly decent bloke. Shame he was only a guest, I realistically could have seen Alf selling up the bait shop and opening the sea plane place in Yabbie Creek with Duncan, however that's the second time something like that's happened (Ric and Alf originally opened up the Bait Shop together, Ric lasted maybe 2 more weeks)
63. Sophie Simpson: Never saw her
63. Romeo Smith: Thought Romeo was a really nice guy, shame he received more votes now than off screen. (VJ set to replica Romeo I believe with consistent 5's instead of 1's and then suddenly 30 once he has left)
63. Ricky Sharpe: I liked Ricky, thought she was great with Brax, but not with Nate. Didn't like them together at all, happy she left happily with Brax
63. Nicole Franklin: I wasn't a huge fan of Nic, thought she was a good character for the show but never quite warmed to her very much.
63. Jack Wilson: Only seen him briefly, but I liked him.
63. Edward Dunglass: Never saw him
63. Curtis Reed: Only seen him briefly, seems pretty cool and like a good bloke.
59. Sid Walker: I liked Sid, thought he was a good replacement for Tony in terms of the father aspect of his character. Also a good replacement for Rachel in terms of the Doctor side of his character. He is probably my favourite doctor of all time.
59. Hayley Smith: Never saw much of her at all, however I found her a bit annoying. 
59. Hannah Wilson: Really liked Hannah when she first came into it. Nothing against disabled people whatsoever but when Hannah couldn't walk was when I liked her character the least, never really liked her and Andy together from that point on (in 2014 they were tolerable), but once she got together with Chris was when I really liked her again. Was very sad that she was killed off. Deserved a happy ending with Chris.
59. Angel Parrish: Never saw her
55. Kirsty Sutherland: I only properly saw Kirsty in her year long return, and didn't like her much at all.
55. Jett James: Really liked Jett, thought he was a great character. Shame he left, felt like he was quite an underrated loss from the show.
55. Denny Miller: I thought she was okay, until Casey died. Then I really didn't like her character after that. I think it makes Casey's death even sadder, the fact that Denny who was only fairly new at the time struggled to recover and rebound. Even though Casey and Denny were always meant to be.
55. Blake Dean: Never saw him.
49. Sasha Bezmel: I only really liked Sasha in 2014, wasn't really a fan in any other years. Just something about her made me find her unappealing.
49. Phoebe Nicholson: I love Phoebe, I think she is a really great character because of how positive and free-spirited she is. I loved her and Kyle together too. I think it's a real shame how disliked she seems to be, you either love or hate her. I love her and gave her a vote.
49. Martin Ashford: Love Ash! I find him really funny and a really good bloke with good intentions deep down despite being an ex-criminal. I love his one-liners when talking to the cops. I also like how in 2016 they have made him interact with more different characters as well, something the writers lacked with a certain Braxton. I personally think Ash deserves more votes.
49. Gypsy Nash: Only ever saw her in 2011 and absolutely hated her, however I found out she was a lot different when orignally in the bay. So if I ever see those episodes I will probably like them more.
49. Evelyn Macguire: I've always found her pretty annoying so I doubt I will ever fully like Evie, however she has improved lately and you gotta feel for losing nearly her entire family.
48. Kane Phillips: Only ever saw him from 2008-09 and I really didn't like him that much. However I heard he was a lot better from 2002-05 so I have a bit of faith that I would like him if I ever saw his original stint.
45. Tasha Andrews: Never saw much of Tasha but she seems real nice and down to earth.
45. Roo Stewart: I have only ever seen the current Roo and I like her. I think she is a good character, however I think she needs better and more challenging storylines. Hasn't had too many really.
45. Kit Hunter: Never really remember her but from a first impression she doesn't seem like the type of character I would like.   
40. Flynn Saunders: Never saw much of Flynn however when I did he seemed like a really great character.
40. Colleen Smart: I thought that Colleen was hilarious, I wouldn't say that she was my favourite ever but was a great laugh.
40. Charlotte King: Wasn't a fan of her at all, but she deserves her votes because she was popular to many last year.
40. Belle Taylor: In all honesty I thought Belle was overrated, I preferred her with Aden over Drew 100% but it still wasn't enough for me to think of her as the top 10 character (or however high she was) that she was when she was on the show. I think she is at the stage now where she is barely remembered because Adelle was half a decade ago and Aden would definitely be considered better and more memorable than Belle.
40. Angie Russell: Never saw her, and considering I didn't like Charlotte I doubt that I would like her.
34. Vinnie Patterson: Never saw him however I think that I would have liked him. I am led to believe that he never actually died in 2008 and he will show up one day and meet VJ.
34. Shane Parrish: Never really saw his character, but seems like the type that many would like.
34. Selina Roberts: Haven't seen much of Selina but she seemed like a nice character.
34. Noah Lawson: A very good looking bloke, who I never got to see but would love to. He seems like a really likeable character with a tough backstory.
34. Brody Morgan: Wow, nothing against Brody but I personally think he has too many votes. I don't dislike him, I actually think he is a good character but he hasn't really done much other than open up Salt and find himself being the only Morgan in a hospital ward. I would have had him in the 60's maybe because he hasn't really done a lot. He seems to have a rather massive fan base around here which I just can't seem to get my head around.
34. Amanda Vale: I don't remember her too well but I thought she was okay.
29. Ruby Buckton: Ahhh Ruby, the person I gave my 5 votes to. I absolutely adored her character, I think she's a bit like Phoebe where you either love or hate her and I certainly loved her. I thought she was well portrayed by Rebecca Breeds. 
29. Robbie Hunter: I never saw much of Robbie and I think I would have liked his character if I saw his entire duration.
29. Nate Cooper: It's funny because I'm sitting on the fence with Nate. I probably prefer him Post-Ricky and I think that's because them being together just annoyed me since Ricky and Brax are meant to be. Right now he's better than ever in my opinion.
29. Matilda Hunter: I didn't see all of Matilda, but I do like her. Probably from 2005/6 onwards since she was a brat when she first started.
29. Martha Mckenzie: Not really sure what to think of Martha, I don't really know if I like her at all. But to put it simply I much preferred her with Jack over Hugo.
25. Oscar Macguire: I liked Oscar more than Evie that's for sure. It took me a while to warm to him though because I didn't really like that he was with Maddy at all. They really didn't suit I reckon. He was quite funny though and a really nice guy, I just wasn't a fan of his storylines. It was very sad when he died.
25. John Palmer: John is hilarious, I really like him. Especially with Jett, Xavier and Marilyn. However it's a shame that it didn't work out with Skye and Jordan. He is a great foster father.
25. Hunter King: Wow, another character who I think has too many votes. Hunter is the type of character who I just don't think I will ever like, I'll always sit on the fence or dislike. I really don't like him and Olivia together at all and it seems like that's partially why he has so many votes since they are a popular couple. Credit to Scott Lee though, he plays the part well. Great actor with great potential.
25. Ailsa Stewart: Never saw her
24. Charlie Buckton: Charlie was great, she was really good at her job and a really great character. She loved Ruby a lot and loved Brax a lot too, I wish they could have had a happy ending.
23. Shannon Reed: Haven't seen much of her at all so I can't really comment.
20. Peter Baker: I am extremely shocked about this, I never saw a heap of Peter on Home and Away but considering I haven't seen him discussed on any forums at all this is surprising. Maybe it's because he was with Amanda and that he was a good cop that got him this far.
20. Michael Ross: Never saw him
20. Celia Stewart: Never saw her
19. Heath Braxton: I love Heath, he is a great character. He is really funny and probably has the best story of all the Braxtons in terms of development. I loved him in 2013-2014, especially when he was fathering Darcy when she was at Summer Bay High.
16. Miles Copeland: Miles!!!!!! I love Miles, he is the last person I voted for to be polled and out of all the people I voted for I expected him to poll the highest. Miles was a great character, he was a great teacher, foster parent and person to be around. I really liked his relationship with Leah. I really want to see a return of Miles for the 30th anniversary.
16. Leah Patterson: I'm calling her surname Patterson because that is her surname, not Patterson-Baker. She did get married in 2015, making her no longer a Baker. Anyway, she is a great character and deserve all the votes.
16. Chris Harrington: Chris was such an awesome character, I really miss him. He brought us all smiles and good humor with plenty of laughs over 3 1/2 years. I loved him and Hannah together, they were an awesome couple and it was so tragic how it all ended. I am a tad surprised about the amount of votes that he has received, I saw plenty of people overtime saying that Johnny Ruffo was a terrible actor and that they were happy Chris left so to see his fans get around him makes me happy.
14. Kyle Braxton: I'll keep this one short. I like Kyle, however his character was so underused that it surprises me that his fanbase is so strong. Obviously being a Braxton helps him out a lot but he still didn't have a massive impact compared to the others. Also his exit story was horrible. 
14. Billie Ashford: Wow, I really didn't expect this at all. Billie is an interesting one, in 2015 I couldn't stand her however in 2016 (especially the beginning), she quickly became my favourite female, but as the year has gone by with the massive storyline filled with lies I have found myself liking her still, but just thinking in my head "why would you do this?" or "I feel sorry for you". So I like her but in a way I sit on the fence. I didn't think she would poll this high at all, especially because as this big storyline has gone on people have become sick of her but I can understand why she has so many votes, she has been in the spotlight all year round and has been through so much.
13. Pippa Fletcher: Haven't seen a lot of Pippa, however you can't dislike her. She is so warm and caring.
12. Bobby Simpson: Never seen her.
11. Matt Page: Matt is so awesome, he deserves all the votes that he can get because he is such an awesome character. He makes me laugh a lot and Alec Snow is a really great actor. I didn't expect him to poll so high, however if you're adored by the nation for being a really entertaining character then that is the result of it.

So that's my thoughts on everyone so far. I will do my thoughts on 6-10, then 1-5. This literally took me 3 1/2 hours to write, I'm actually not joking. So thank you to everyone for making it this far if you did.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Hmm...just where is he.....? :wink:

You wind up merchant, bet he's not even in there :P If he's not I will be super happy!

Aden's the only one I'm surprised about, I get the appeal to an extent but I don't think he's top 10 material. I love Dex and think his placing is worthy but I didn't expect him to have mass mainstream appeal, perhaps because he's not your typical conventional soap hunk. He is one of the funniest characters of all time though which obviously allowed him to pick up so many fans.

ETA: Just realised Marilyn must be top 5! So shocked! In a good way!

6 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

You wind up merchant, bet he's not even in there :P If he's not I will be super happy!

Well you have to ask now whether, realistically, he'd be in the Top 5... :ph34r:

On 20/12/2016 at 1:28 AM, Edward Skylover said:

Surely a Braxton will be top 5?

Noticed anything else...? :wink:

3 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Well you have to ask now whether, realistically, he'd be in the Top 5... :ph34r:

Not a chance. It's Sally, Alf, Donald, Irene, Marilyn, in that order, I bet :D

3 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Noticed anything else...? :wink:

How wrong I was :P Only one point off though! I am shocked a Braxton is not to be seen in the Top 5! Unless Casey Braxton Jnr pipped Marilyn to the post this year....

So 2 of my 5 have come up so far (Morag and Ailsa) with Irene, Marilyn and Donald to come in the top 5. Great stuff. 

As much as I love Sally I hope someone different tops the poll this year, would love it to be Irene especially with the year she's had, been so good to see her do more than just wipe tables. 

Not surprising Aden ranked so highley. He was probably the best written teenager of the 00s. He's pretty recent too. So he's fresh on people's consciousness. 

Brax still rating highley not surprising. He's pretty recent too. Love him or hate him. Prob the most popular character post 2010.

Casey too. He was one of the most popular Braxtons. He was susposed to be the good Braxton. But resorted to being in Gangs. Abusing and Using Woman (insert Sasha). Out of all that. I still couldent dislike him. I didn't blame all of it on him. And Lincoln did a great job of portraying Casey. 

Dex not surprising too. He's pretty recent. He was that lovable dork. Like Robbie was. Married my dream girl April :wub:. That accident got some sympathy too.

Morag although comes and goes. But she's a long time main stay.

So my characters showed up. Aden ranked the highest for me at 8th. Matt next, at 11. Then it was Belle, Shannon, and Matilda.

Archived