Most Popular Character 2016

Dan F

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few names that I can think of of character's who are popular that are yet to poll:

Sally Fletcher

Alf Stewart

Morag Bellingham

Jack Holden

Brax

Casey Braxton

Irene Roberts

Dexter Walker

Aden Jefferies

Donald Fisher

Marilyn Chambers

That's 11 names and I am confident that 10 of them are the top 10 (just not in that specific order). Considering in the last poll, Jack Holden only received 3 votes in total and finished in the 70's I would not be surprised if he doesn't poll at all in this one. His character had a big drop last time and in a way he is an almost forgotten character now really which I think is quite sad for someone who was rated one of the most popular characters during his time on the show. Like during the really good 2004/2005-2008 era he was there pretty much the entire time so it surprises me that people have possibly forgotten him. I have this theory that he didn't poll because whilst looking at votes I surprisingly didn't see his name whatsoever....

1 hour ago, CaptainTed84 said:

A few names that I can think of of character's who are popular that are yet to poll:

Sally Fletcher

Alf Stewart

Morag Bellingham

Jack Holden

Brax

Casey Braxton

Irene Roberts

Dexter Walker

Aden Jefferies

Donald Fisher

Marilyn Chambers

That's 11 names and I am confident that 10 of them are the top 10 (just not in that specific order). Considering in the last poll, Jack Holden only received 3 votes in total and finished in the 70's I would not be surprised if he doesn't poll at all in this one. His character had a big drop last time and in a way he is an almost forgotten character now really which I think is quite sad for someone who was rated one of the most popular characters during his time on the show. Like during the really good 2004/2005-2008 era he was there pretty much the entire time so it surprises me that people have possibly forgotten him. I have this theory that he didn't poll because whilst looking at votes I surprisingly didn't see his name whatsoever....

Brax is gonna win :lol:

I completely forgot to mention yesterday...Charlie.  She actually was one of my favourite characters for a period of time - Gone but not forgotten!

I thought Peter was a pretty good character and I liked him with Amanda.

Heath again was one of my favourites for a period of time.

Leah I've liked for most of her time on the bay.  The only time I didn't like her was briefly when she was with Miles.  So it's right for her to be where she is.

I used to strongly dislike Matt.  I thought he was a tool but he has grown on me over the past few months and I like the relationship with Roo.  I had some idea he was popular but again underestimated how much people like the character.

This round of characters is interesting because it contains several I strongly dislike.

Kyle I disliked strongly after he tried to kill Casey and I never really forgave him for that.  Although he had a caring side he would often do something that would show he was an extremely violent and dangerous person.  However I will say that irrespective of my personal feelings towards him he was a very well written character.  I remember the episode where Phoebe lost their baby and he started a fight with Ash and smashed up the baby cot that he built - the acting in both of those scenes was excellent IMO.  So believe it or not I can see exactly why he's finished so high.

Chris I absolutely loathed.  I still to this day genuinely cannot understand why he's so popular.  A lot of times he was on screen I've wanted to literally punch him in the face because I find him so annoying.  I always felt that he believed that he was so wonderful that everyone was entitled to like him.  But I do accept as he was very popular for a lot of the time on this show coupled with the fact that again he's good looking he was going to do well.

Whilst I found Chris annoying the one thing I will say is that he's not a bad person at all.  IMO Billie does not have that luxury.  Can't stand her.  Nate saves her life and she repays that by framing him for sexually assaulting her.  I thought I could get past it but I couldn't so when she was raped I thought that was poetic justice.  This pregnancy storyline with VJ continually frustrates me.  The only thing keeping me going is the hope that when the truth comes out she get will hers but I suspect that she will get sympathy and VJ and Leah will simply have to get over being deceived for months.  I had some idea she was fairly popular in the forum and every time the next round of characters were released and she wasn't there suspected that she would finish strongly.

9 minutes ago, Slade said:

I completely forgot to mention yesterday...Charlie.  She actually was one of my favourite characters for a period of time - Gone but not forgotten!

I thought Peter was a pretty good character and I liked him with Amanda.

Heath again was one of my favourites for a period of time.

Leah I've liked for most of her time on the bay.  The only time I didn't like her was briefly when she was with Miles.  So it's right for her to be where she is.

I used to strongly dislike Matt.  I thought he was a tool but he has grown on me over the past few months and I like the relationship with Roo.  I had some idea he was popular but again underestimated how much people like the character.

This round of characters is interesting because it contains several I strongly dislike.

Kyle I disliked strongly after he tried to kill Casey and I never really forgave him for that.  Although he had a caring side he would often do something that would show he was an extremely violent and dangerous person.  However I will say that irrespective of my personal feelings towards him he was a very well written character.  I remember the episode where Phoebe lost their baby and he started a fight with Ash and smashed up the baby cot that he built - the acting in both of those scenes was excellent IMO.  So believe it or not I can see exactly why he's finished so high.

Chris I absolutely loathed.  I still to this day genuinely cannot understand why he's so popular.  A lot of times he was on screen I've wanted to literally punch him in the face because I find him so annoying.  I always felt that he believed that he was so wonderful that everyone was entitled to like him.  But I do accept as he was very popular for a lot of the time on this show coupled with the fact that again he's good looking he was going to do well.

Whilst I found Chris annoying the one thing I will say is that he's not a bad person at all.  IMO Billie does not have that luxury.  Can't stand her.  Nate saves her life and she repays that by framing him for sexually assaulting her.  I thought I could get past it but I couldn't so when she was raped I thought that was poetic justice.  This pregnancy storyline with VJ continually frustrates me.  The only thing keeping me going is the hope that when the truth comes out she get will hers but I suspect that she will get sympathy and VJ and Leah will simply have to get over being deceived for months.  I had some idea she was fairly popular in the forum and every time the next round of characters were released and she wasn't there suspected that she would finish strongly.

Serioisiey? Theirs no excuse for that. I get you don't like her. But I don't think a woman getting sexually assaulted is poetic justice at all. Poetic justice would Be Mick getting locked up. But that won't happen. I'm sorry correct me if I'm wrong. But you seem to be suggesting She deserved to be raped. No biggie. I just strongly disagree. 

1 hour ago, Luke39 said:

Serioisiey? Theirs no excuse for that. I get you don't like her. But I don't think a woman getting sexually assaulted is poetic justice at all. Poetic justice would Be Mick getting locked up. But that won't happen. I'm sorry correct me if I'm wrong. But you seem to be suggesting She deserved to be raped. No biggie. I just strongly disagree. 

Firstly, please try to quote properly!  Rather than quoting a whole post (which you often do) just to respond to a single sentence, highlight the selection with the left  mouse button then when the black box comes up saying "Quote this" click it then the section that you want to respond to will be available to post and edit.  Quoting the whole of a long post just to respond to a single sentence looks silly!

Secondly, I'm not asking nor do I want to be to be excused.  As a member of this forum I have the right to say whatever I like about any character I like.  As I've said before the only things IMO that are off limits are racist/homophobic or negative comments about the actors physical appearance all of which I completely condemn.  Everything else is fair game as far as I'm concerned.  If people don't like it - tough!

Thirdly, no I don't think Billie deserved to be raped but I think it was ironic that she was given that she tried to frame someone else for sexually assault and her not reporting it in her own words was a case of the girl who cried wolf.

Fourthly, even if I did think she deserved to be raped so what?  What exactly is the issue with this?  I'm starting to feel like a cracked record but the only way someone would take exception to this is if they think people's attitudes towards characters in a fictional program transcend into real life.  If you think that I'm assuming you will have also had a problem with me being glad that Andy killed Pirovic or that I was cheering when Charlotte murdered Trystan.  Surely celebrating when someone is dead is worse than simply saying someone deserved to be raped.  Where was your moral outrage then?  By your logic I endorse murder because I was glad when the fictitious characters were killed off.

Fifthly, Mick is locked up.  He was done for the other rapes he committed.  Billie reporting it will simply add on jail time.

Finally, you say that it was no biggie but the tone of you post suggests otherwise...contradiction.

This update sees my final two revealed.

I love Peter Baker but I'm so shocked to see him so high I was actually going to ask if I'd somehow missed him.It's nice to know I'm not the only one who still really likes him.He was a pretty good cop by Summer Bay standards.If he had one flaw it was being a crummy brother to Dan and kissing Leah.

How do you solve a problem like Billie?I'm not going to pretend that I would handle things the way she has but I also find it impossible to dislike her.She's a complex character portrayed by an extremely capable actress and I wouldn't wish some of the things that have happened to her on my worst enemy.Kudos to Tessa because I don't think she would have scored so highly had she been in the hands of another actress.She's really taken us along on Billie's journey with her.

I really liked Kyle right up to his ending which made no sense.It's for this reason that I'm surprised to see him so high.I guess some people are willing to forgive and forget such atrocious writing seeing how good of a character he was.

Johnny was never my favourite but I did like him though i understand why others didn't. He also had a lot of fans though so I'm not surprised to see him so high.

I go hot and cold on Matt.Sometimes I really like him but other times I find him highly overrated.Like Johnny he has a lot of fans though so I'm not surprised to see him so high.

Heath was always my favourite river boy so I'm disappointed to see him rate the lowest though not surprised.

I don't have much of an opinion on the others.Besides Pippa and Bobby I find them all a bit boring but knew they'd be up there so it's not surprising.

1 hour ago, ~Lynd~ said:

How do you solve a problem like Billie?I'm not going to pretend that I would handle things the way she has but I also find it impossible to dislike her.She's a complex character portrayed by an extremely capable actress and I wouldn't wish some of the things that have happened to her on my worst enemy.Kudos to Tessa because I don't think she would have scored so highly had she been in the hands of another actress.She's really taken us along on Billie's journey with her.

Heath was always my favourite river boy so I'm disappointed to see him rate the lowest though not surprised.

Couldn't agree more ...on both counts. Tessa's portrayal is just divine [she's the highest of my 5 in this countdown] and I've always had a soft spot for Heath - didn't vote for him, but he's up their with my all time fave H&A guys at least .......bonus that Dan Ewing briefly played a b/f of Maddie Hunter a few years before he played Heath.  

Re the latest countdown comments, loved the symmetry of Billie and Kyle and Leah and Miles being line astern [the whole I could make crude remarks bit]

Looking fwd especially to see where Dex lands in the 10 

Archived