Most Popular Character 2016

Dan F

1 minute ago, Pierced Musie said:

It does make me wonder if the people who like Hunter are those who hated the Braxton's for getting away with everything. This is not a dig; just genuinely curious. 

No, I pretty much want the Braxton's to get away with everything too lol! :lol: To be honest, it's not so much that I like Hunter, it's more that I like Scott Lee. I think Hunter's a pretty terrible person and he and Olivia are not good for each other (although you'd be hard pressed to find two actors with more onscreen chemistry than Scott and Rachelle) but I can't completely dislike him either. (Again, that 'sassy' little head shake! :) haha)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I've been trying to avoid making comments that probably belong more in character discussion threads but, to be honest, I have never seen a photo of Hunter that makes him look like a nice guy.I seriously only have to see him to think "Urgh", which might be my problem or it might be Scott Lee's performance, which doesn't actually seem to have varied since the days when he was burning down houses and bullying people, as if his actions have changed but his personality hasn't.When he smiles, I just find him creepy, because I associate Hunter smiling with Hunter plotting to hurt someone.I try and put that aside and assess his actions but often I find it's not hard to view his actions in a bad light anyway.

But he finished highly so obviously other people don't have that problem!

I can feel your anger.  The hate is swelling in you now.:lol::D

My comment was on the assumption of someone looking at him completely unaware of his crimes.  If we change that a little so just say you saw the actor or maybe even a photo of someone in a magazine (completely ignoring the character) IMO he looks like a nice guy.  Of course looks can be deceptive but that's usually the first thing people have to judge someone on.  I think this poll and some of the previous ones have demonstrated how powerful looks can actually be - they're not the be all and the end all (and I'm not judging people for this because I'm the same) but they are important to a certain extent.  You don't agree about Hunter - that's fine but as you've basically acknowledged above this has got nothing to do with the actual photo and purely to do with how you perceive the character on the show.  If it was say a similar photo of Kyle given that he's also committed serious crimes and I said he looked like a nice guy, would you disagree?

14 minutes ago, Pierced Musie said:

It does make me wonder if the people who like Hunter are those who hated the Braxton's for getting away with everything. This is not a dig; just genuinely curious.

Even if they were, is that a bad thing?  As far as I'm concerned people are not obliged in any way to be consistent with the characters they like and the ones they don't.  I liked Andy but disliked Kyle.  Both of them guilty of committing serious crimes.  One went to jail the other didn't.  I've openly criticised Kyle for what he did and praised/defended Andy for some of his actions.  I don't care how hypocritical or inconsistent it is because H & A is a fictional program and not real life so normal rules don't apply.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I've been trying to avoid making comments that probably belong more in character discussion threads but, to be honest, I have never seen a photo of Hunter that makes him look like a nice guy

IMHO a lot of characters like Hunter will be voted highly because they're hot.

3 minutes ago, CaptainTed84 said:

If that's the case then in the 2018 poll when VJ is in jail he will win it...lol

VJ has the fact that he's a terrible re-cast working against him :P 15 year-old VJ already involved in a not the daddy scandal, indeed. So hard to take seriously.

I imagine the hotness factor is what gave Nate some points, I like him mainly for his looks rather than his character as shallow as that is to say - whereas with others like Jack (Wilson), I like their looks and character.

I don't find Hunter particularly objectionable though, I feel sorry for him at times when Zac always presumes the worst in him, and I think Scott Lee is a capable actor. Though I wasn't watching when he burned Leah's house down. I'd take him any day over VJ though, character-wise.

3 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

VJ has the fact that he's a terrible re-cast working against him :P 15 year-old VJ already involved in a not the daddy scandal, indeed. So hard to take seriously.

I imagine the hotness factor is what gave Nate some points, I like him mainly for his looks rather than his character as shallow as that is to say - whereas with others like Jack (Wilson), I like their looks and character.

I don't find Hunter particularly objectionable though, I feel sorry for him at times when Zac always presumes the worst in him, and I think Scott Lee is a capable actor. Though I wasn't watching when he burned Leah's house down. I'd take him any day over VJ though, character-wise.

I don't think too many people really care about the fact that he was born in 2001 but 18 years old because some viewers might not pay attention to how long his character has been around for but I agree that it is noticeable if you really look into it but I suppose they just wanted Leah to be a mother of a teenager quickly than it naturally should have been. 

I really like VJ's character, hope he receives more votes next time round and I'd say he will

2 hours ago, Ludub said:

I wanted to like your post but I'm out of likes for today :(. I think you're being incredibly restrained, and your commentaries, while witty and cutting, have been very balanced. I'm really enjoying them! So hats off to you! :wink:

Thanks, Ludub, I'm doing my best, even though it's probably fairly obvious which characters I do and don't like personally.It'll spoil the party a bit if the commentaries are full of rants about what I don't like!

1 hour ago, Edward Skylover said:

I find it rather bizarre that you're suddenly letting the fact that they changed VJ's age the best part of a decade ago work against him.Re-casting him with Felix Dean wasn't that bad a move even if he was clearly too old for the role.9-year-old VJ attending high school, so ridiculous...I can understand, I'm much the same with Olivia to an extent, but I think it's a shame that people are focusing on the fact that Matt Little's so different from the previous actor rather than judging the character on his own merits.VJ is the sort of character that appeals a lot to me, someone who deep down is decent and tries to do the right thing even though he's flawed.Hunter I find very unappealing, I find him self-absorbed and selfish and think he often plays the victim to escape the consequences of his action. 9 times out of 10 Zac's right to think the worst of him and I don't like the way he's often portrayed as the bad guy when Hunter's the one in the wrong.It's better than the days when Zac thought the sun shone out of Hunter's backside while he was bullying his family.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

If we change that a little so just say you saw the actor or maybe even a photo of someone in a magazine (completely ignoring the character) IMO he looks like a nice guy. 

Yes, it is hard to judge.I mean, to me he looks crazy but that might just be because I know him.I think he looks creepy but obviously other people don't agree.

27 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I find it rather bizarre that you're suddenly letting the fact that they changed VJ's age the best part of a decade ago work against him.Re-casting him with Felix Dean wasn't that bad a move even if he was clearly too old for the role.

Changing VJ's age when Felix Dean took over the role isn't the thing which is jarring IMO. It's the fact that VJ bears no physical resemblance to the previous actor whatsoever, perhaps facially to an extent, but VJ was a skinny teenager who suddenly turned into a muscle-bound character who was supposedly 16, played by an actor who was 22(?? not sure about this) but the actor looks about 25. The actor does his best to portray VJ as immaturely as possible, but it doesn't work because everything is stacked against him.

Unfortunately I'll never take him seriously as the actor looks far too old to be VJ. It's a shame as VJ is a legacy character IMO. In contrast, Neighbours' version of a SORASed legacy character, Ben, seems much more convincing. Granted, he was away for 4 years, but he came back played by an actor who is a realistic age for that character. Had a muscle-bound late-20 something-looking 22 year old returned to play Ben I would be equally as annoyed.

1 hour ago, Edward Skylover said:

Changing VJ's age when Felix Dean took over the role isn't the thing which is jarring IMO. It's the fact that VJ bears no physical resemblance to the previous actor whatsoever, perhaps facially to an extent, but VJ was a skinny teenager who suddenly turned into a muscle-bound character who was supposedly 16, played by an actor who was 22(?? not sure about this) but the actor looks about 25. The actor does his best to portray VJ as immaturely as possible, but it doesn't work because everything is stacked against him.

In a way I disagree, Felix's voice was deeper in 2013-14 (his last stint as VJ) and sounded like it was bound to crack into a much deeper voice so I can see how it makes sense to have VJ's current voice. Also, the hairstyle that VJ had when he was last seen on screen as Felix was similar to the one when he was first seen on screen as Matt Little. One thing that I really think everyone seems to forget when they say the writers did a bad job with VJ is the fact that although VJ is widely known as Leah's son, he is actually also the great man Vinnie Patterson's son and to me I think they have done a really good job at turning him into what he always has been, Vinnie Jr. Obviously it would appear a tad unrealistic that he turned into Vinnie Jr. within 6 months but the thing is that some teens hit puberty really late and people in general have genetic traits passed on through generations which would explain why he looks older and taller through puberty because since he is Vinnie's son he has obviously has the trait of resembling him passed on.

As for gaining muscle, well he could have started going to the gym off-camera even before the recast, muscle takes time to be gained epecially if you are a really skinny kid, he also could have begun his growth spurt coincidentally as soon as Felix Dean left the role as he became an absent character for roughly 6-8 months. Growth and muscle gain is the type of thing that happens to everyone, some people go through drastic changes in life and that's just what happens. So VJ's recasting really wasn't poorly done in my opinion, but that is just my opinion. 

I actually reckon that VJ is one of the best character's right now, he has proven to be such a decent young lad and is a really likeable person, I would feel super grateful to have a brother or a best friend like him. He appeals to me so much.

Archived