Most Popular Character 2016

Dan F

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pleased to see Aden that high up, because I think he is the last character they explored well.... at least until they destroyed him. But it must be more than 6 1/2 years ago since he left, and the actor haven't appeared in many well known TV shows after his H&A stint so I am a bit surprised too that he made his way back to top 10. I think he was about 14th last time. 

But I don't think Dexter is top 10 material. I never quite liked the character, in the beginning he was too weird and his humour was not funny. After a while calmed a bit down, and got much better. But then he was thrown in a nauseating relationship with the sugar sweet, but not very kind April, and that destroyed him for me. I wasn't a fan of the outcome of the accident either, it felt like they used his brain damages just to keep him "so called funny and childish", without develop him as a more adult guy. They were like small children with a huge sex appetite. 

Brax has been in and out of the show, and I was surprised to se him out of top 3. I know he was popular, but I never liked him. I think that it is a shame that Heath is so low in the poll comparing to the other Braxtons. He was the strongest of them in my opinion. He had a journey on the show, he developed. I feel like the others didn't. 

Morag is good. But I didn't vote for her because I knew she was going to get many points, so I used my 5 spots for others I was more worried about. But Morags last stint on the show wasn't quite good in my opinion. I got really frustrated to see her potential being wasted. 

I was a bit surprised to see Matt at number 11, but I guess that his storylines the last half year has made him more popular in UK and Australia, he hasn't impressed me yet but he is improving (6 months behind Australia). 

Hunter also suprised me with a high ranking considering how much damage this character has done. But the actor is good, and he is able to show a range of different emotions in a believable way. And I wonder if that is the reason to his popularity. No matter what he has done, sometimes you feel sympathy for him. 

Pleased to see Oscar as high as at number 25, I think he was such an underrated character. He had some good storylines which the actor played really well. 

Suprised to see Belle that low, I expected her to be closer to Aden in this poll. Even she wasn't as strong as a character on her own for me. 

Jesse McGregor so long down in this poll... He was a favourite of mine. 

Well, great work RR1 and the others who have made this list! Enjoyed reading it. 

6 hours ago, jodlebirger said:

I am pleased to see Aden that high up, because I think he is the last character they explored well.... at least until they destroyed him. But it must be more than 6 1/2 years ago since he left, and the actor haven't appeared in many well known TV shows after his H&A stint so I am a bit surprised too that he made his way back to top 10. I think he was about 14th last time. 

But I don't think Dexter is top 10 material. I never quite liked the character, in the beginning he was too weird and his humour was not funny. After a while calmed a bit down, and got much better. But then he was thrown in a nauseating relationship with the sugar sweet, but not very kind April, and that destroyed him for me. I wasn't a fan of the outcome of the accident either, it felt like they used his brain damages just to keep him "so called funny and childish", without develop him as a more adult guy. They were like small children with a huge sex appetite. 

Brax has been in and out of the show, and I was surprised to se him out of top 3. I know he was popular, but I never liked him. I think that it is a shame that Heath is so low in the poll comparing to the other Braxtons. He was the strongest of them in my opinion. He had a journey on the show, he developed. I feel like the others didn't. 

Morag is good. But I didn't vote for her because I knew she was going to get many points, so I used my 5 spots for others I was more worried about. But Morags last stint on the show wasn't quite good in my opinion. I got really frustrated to see her potential being wasted. 

I was a bit surprised to see Matt at number 11, but I guess that his storylines the last half year has made him more popular in UK and Australia, he hasn't impressed me yet but he is improving (6 months behind Australia). 

Hunter also suprised me with a high ranking considering how much damage this character has done. But the actor is good, and he is able to show a range of different emotions in a believable way. And I wonder if that is the reason to his popularity. No matter what he has done, sometimes you feel sympathy for him. 

Pleased to see Oscar as high as at number 25, I think he was such an underrated character. He had some good storylines which the actor played really well. 

Suprised to see Belle that low, I expected her to be closer to Aden in this poll. Even she wasn't as strong as a character on her own for me. 

Jesse McGregor so long down in this poll... He was a favourite of mine. 

Well, great work RR1 and the others who have made this list! Enjoyed reading it. 

Yeah but that's why Dex was popular. He wasent Bland And Normal. He was weird, quirky, unique. That's why i liked Dex  anyway. Kinda like Matt now. I always look forward to his weird little comments. Or jokes. Although Matt is probably better developed. 

So 2 of the ones I voted for came in the last update. 

Aden - I think he was when of the best developed characters in the show and I feel that part of the draw was how well Todd Lasance played him. He could swing between cheekiness and puppy dog eyes effortlessly. And he was so screwed up over what his grandfather did to him - and even to the end, he still seemed to be carrying that baggage. 

Dexter was the other one. I know that he is a Marmite character. But I loved his quirkiness and weirdness. I felt he was the glue of the Walker family - he seemed to gel with all the members including Sasha. I know many hated his relationship with April (but I loved it even though the writing for them worsened as time went on).  I felt there was something about them and their chemistry that just kinda worked (for me) - how they accepted the worst/quirky parts of each other (April's OCD and Dexter's geekiness). 

My only real surprise out of those is Dexter.  v1 was quite dull but when he returned I found him unbearable.  I remember when Sid was going out with Marilyn and he was practically stalking her.  I did warm to him over time and felt bad for him after Ruby cut the brakes on Indy's car and quite liked him in the end.  I'd obviously underestimated how popular he still is with some people.

I'm surprised Brax didn't finish higher.  I was expecting him in the top 3 this time round.

Would Casey have finished as high as he did if he wasn't killed off?  I don't know.

It's funny seeing Aden as I'm a whole season behind with The Vampire Diaries and currently watching the actor with an English accent.  He was massive back in the day so as expected he finished in the top 10.

Good old Morag.  I've always liked the fact that she's had a recurring role, turning up every so often and think she is a very good character.

Just now, Slade said:

v1 was quite dull

I'm surprised Brax didn't finish higher.  I was expecting him in the top 3 this time round.

Would Casey have finished as high as he did if he wasn't killed off?  I don't know.

Yeah mate I agree with you on the first Dexter being dull. The writers did an excellent job with the remodelling of his character.

I actually thought Brax was going to steal the win this time round, maybe next time when people will actually properly miss him since he won't have appeared for 2 years.

Casey's an interesting one, I agree he was a great character however Heath was definitely better (my opinion). His character would have been super predictable if he didn't die I think. I thought it was obvious even before Phoebe/Kyle (I think it was them), found the ring that he was going to propose to Denny (now that I think about it, it may have been shown being held on screen by Casey when packing his bags. But even if they didn't you could just tell that when he said to Brax that he is at his happiest that it was bound to happen). They probably would have got married in the 2014 finale and then who really knows from there? It could have either been good or bad. He may have barely changed and become involved with the Braxton drama yet again or he could have faded away into the background to protect Denny from being dragged into the Braxton dramas because being married would have changed him. He could have even left the bay with her, even though he cursed himself by telling Irene he will spend the rest of his life there when Heath left (little did he know he only had 7 weeks left) being married changes people's mindsets, especially young people with years ahead. If that happened and he and Denny lived happily ever after then he may not have polled so high. But I loved Casey, he was awesome. He definitely deserves to be in the top characters but I would put Heath and then Ash higher in all honesty.

1 hour ago, CaptainTed84 said:

I actually thought Brax was going to steal the win this time round, maybe next time when people will actually properly miss him since he won't have appeared for 2 years.

I think the likelihood is that he will finish even lower TBH.  Looking at the previous polls, taking Aden as an example he came 2nd in 2010 but has dropped in popularity since with each poll.  I was surprised he finished so high this year and I'm not sure why that is.  But I would imagine the reasons why he hasn't fared as well since 2010 could be some people who voted for him don't watch the show anymore, perhaps they don't think he was as good as he was when they voted for him back then or he could have simply been superseded by characters that they like more.  And I suspect it will be the same with Brax.

When I mentioned Brax I probably should have said 2nd or 3rd place.  Sally has this in the bag.  The only time she didn't top the voting was in 2004 and that was BTTB's first year.  The only person that has gotten close to her more than just once is Irene.  Irene is has always finished in the top 10 and only once finished out of the top 5.  She's obviously in the top 5 this time but she won't beat Sally.  I'll be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong but it seems as though most people are effectively voting for the second most popular character.  And unlike some of the previous characters that have left I think a lot of people view Sally as iconic so her leaving the show doesn't appear to have made any difference to her popularity.  I have never understood what people have found so great about her but what these polls often reveal is how wildly different people view certain characters.

Another major thing to factor in with the results is the Early Years.  And some of those characters could have taken a lot of votes from the ones currently on the show or have left within the last few years.  It would be interesting to have seen what the last poll would have been like if they hadn't started showing the early years episodes.

4 minutes ago, Slade said:

Another major thing to factor in with the results is the Early Years.  And some of those characters could have taken a lot of votes from the ones currently on the show or have left within the last few years.  It would be interesting to have seen what the last poll would have been like if they hadn't started showing the early years episodes.

I don't think there are a tremendous amount of board posters who watch the early years (at least in comparison to the current episodes) so I don't think the early years will have a huge impact on the poll. I agree it has an effect to a degree but I don't think it will affect the top 10 that much. I do think the early years have helped Michael rate higher than he would have otherwise though.

14 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

I don't think there are a tremendous amount of board posters who watch the early years (at least in comparison to the current episodes) so I don't think the early years will have a huge impact on the poll. I agree it has an effect to a degree but I don't think it will affect the top 10 that much. I do think the early years have helped Michael rate higher than he would have otherwise though.

If you look at the polls for 2012 and 2014 in particular and compare them with 2010, Fisher, Bobby and Pippa have all done notably better.  That's no coincidence.

Archived