15 years of Home and Away on Channel 5!

dan

10 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

and a marvellous one of one word clips from the series saying the theme song, which I sadly only saw once.(Main memory is they included a clip of Simone Harris.Maybe she was the only person they could find saying "Emotion".)

This one? It's absolutely brilliant, but makes me pine for the days where we had a proper opening with the  theme tune :(.

Ah, Simone got "such".Okay...Massively cheesy but what the heck.

Ah yes 6.00! Something else Channel 5 got right, use the old Anglia slot so everyone can turn over straight after Neighbours, rather than that awkward "opposite Grange Hill and spilling over into the first 5 minutes of the show people will probably watch instead" slot that most ITV regions used.

That ad was cheesy but I liked it.:lol:

If only life was still this fun.

TBF, by the time H&A came along or at least got momentum,  People had lost interest in Grange Hill (some consider 1978-90 the show's hey day or 1982-87, depending on who you ask)

I really hated the dropping of Episodes when ITV had it  Seemed pointless. 

Really? I watched the 2006 season of Grange Hill and loved it.Maybe I was the last of a dying breed.Anyway, it was the fact some ITV regions were showing it opposite the end of CBBC, whatever that was that day(Byker Grove, Blue Peter, Escape from/Return to Jupiter with the same actors), that may have counted against the target audience.

Yes, we went down to four episodes a week towards the end of the ITV run.I assume the idea was to build up a stockpile for the next Oz break.

• 1 month later...

Going off-topic here I think, but for me the classic era of Grange Hill was the late 90s, with the whole Judi Jefferies storyline culminating in her shocking death. That the actress went on to die a few years later in all too similar circumstances to her character was a terrible tragedy.

^That's back when everyone watched TV at the same time and Satellite wasn't widely accessible. But  what surprises me its ratings were on a par with Emmerdale at that point  (which the lunchtime repeat of would be the lead into H&A)  I think by the time 1996-97, they slipped to about 9-10m. Then kept sliding from about 1998-2000. Some people even watched it twice that day!

Back to the topic, H&A's big UK relaunch came at a pretty significant time for me. I'd be 17 a couple weeks and left school in the week that 5 picked it up.

13 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

^That's back when everyone watched TV at the same time and Satellite wasn't widely accessible. But  what surprises me its ratings were on a par with Emmerdale at that point  (which the lunchtime repeat of would be the lead into H&A)  I think by the time 1996-97, they slipped to about 9-10m. Then kept sliding from about 1998-2000. Some people even watched it twice that day!

Back to the topic, H&A's big UK relaunch came at a pretty significant time for me. I'd be 17 a couple weeks and left school in the week that 5 picked it up.

Same for Neighbours, also a consolidated figure which bumped it up to about 16 million. It was never a true rival to CS or EE. In July 2001 when H&A moved to Channel 5 I was 19 back then.

Highest Neighbours was pulling around that period was 7m (Considering it was post-Madge and the season where the insufferable Hancocks were introduced) but until about 1991 it was pulling in about 20m (on par with your Average Corrie/Enders episode then). Steph's perils with Woody probably helped keep interest during that shaky early 2000s period.

Archived