Hunter King - Scott Lee

Even though in current Australian episodes he seems to be redeemed in the eyes of Zac, Leah and even VJ, I don’t really believe he should be. This is because he seems to have never owned up to stealing the safe from the diner, which put Marilyn in hospital and ultimately was the reason Denny died. I of course fully accept that Charlotte shouldn’t have kept him from owning up to it straightaway, and what she did after Denny died was horrible. But, like Charlotte has said, if it wasn’t for Hunter and the safe so many things wouldn’t of happened. It seems Zac, the twins and Hannah (even Alf) don’t know that Hunter played a huge part in Denny dying. And it seems like the writers don’t wish them to ever know, while Olivia does but doesn’t care. To me to be redeemed fully he needs to own up to stealing the safe.

Also, the redemption process has happened really quickly. And with Alf and even Billie going on about how he is going through a really tough time it feels like we are meant to feel really sorry for him. I accept that he made mistakes and he wished he never made them, but it would’ve worked better if he wasn’t fully accepted into society after the town turned on Charlotte instead. 

That being said I enjoy Scott’s acting when he was acting like a spoilt child and when he is a nice human being. It just doesn’t feel right that people don’t know the full story of what he has done. We’re meant to forgive him for burning a valuable house down, nearly killing 4 people, framing an innocent who nearly gets a 10 year prison sentence, breaking into a house and stealing, leaving someone for dead and… that’s all that most people on the show are aware of.  Just doesn’t sit right with me.

• Like 4

Hunter is, sadly, an example of everything that's gone wrong in Home and Away over the last ten years or so.(It started way before the Braxtons came in, although they haven't helped.)Once upon a time, a character would turn up who was a bit shady and unlikable, a bully or a thief, and slowly the audience and characters would see there was more to them than that and come to like them.(It still happens in the post-2011 world, as characters like Jett and Matt attest.)But then we get a new breed of characters, who make a splash by doing something completely irredeemable, and then the rest of the storyline plays out in the same way, with the characters all deciding they like them and the audience expected to forget everything they've done.It makes Summer Bay seem parochial and hypocritical, with their compassion towards people entirely dependent on whether or not they've signed a long term contract: Charlotte gets hounded out of town for (initially) lesser offences but Hunter burning down a house, nearly killing a load of people, putting an innocent girl in jail and indirectly causing several deaths (some of whom deserved it but at least one was a complete innocent) just means he's "troubled".The logic whereby Charlotte sliding off the slippery slope somehow makes her responsible for stuff Hunter did before all that and allows him to escape blame is laughable.

I knew from the moment he was revealed as Zac's son that by the time it came out he set the fire that no-one would care, and they don't.If they do, if they show anger or resentment towards him like they should do, then someone (usually Alf, acting as a convenient Trusted Authority Figure) tells them that they're wrong and they instantly repent and agree that Hunter's lovely.Getting Billie off the hook six months late does not mean he's redeemed, having sex with "Olivia" does not mean he's redeemed.(Making her into his cheerleader is another huge black mark against a character who was already not very likable: Any sane guardian wouldn't want someone like Hunter anywhere near a supposedly vulnerable girl, but the moral guardians of Summer Bay have decided he's all right so we're just meant to accept them as "cute".)There needs to be more than token remorse and token punishment. Instead we'll probably get VJ punching him a couple of times (and half the audience taking Hunter's side because they're still bitter that VJ isn't played by Felix Dean anymore), a few hours of community service and maybe a good behaviour bond that everyone will ignore.He should be looking at 10 years in jail like Billie was, but instead he'll be allowed to swagger around town with his punchable smirk acting like he's done nothing wrong.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

IMDb stopped leaving credits open-ended some years ago, they do it by what episodes an actor is listed as appearing in.If his last episode to date was in 2016, it'll say 2015-2016.If he's still there next year, it'll change to 2015-2017.He's listed as a regular on the show's closing credits.

They haven't updated the character list on the main site for awhile Brax is still on there despite the fact he left months ago and neither Olivia or Hunter are on there even though they are now both regular. They must be waiting until several characters that are leaving. After their final scenes air

Brax will be back to no doubt leave with Ricky in the end..

Its pretty good to create characters such as Hunter Kyle Andy but these type of characters should only stick around cause chaos and then leave.. Because it just kills any sort of impact they ever had to begin with.... I enjoy a good viilan just a shame they all become irredeemable in the end. 

Edited by pembie

• 6 months later...

The star letter in the latest TV week is about Hunter

Also there is a video on the main Home and Away Facebook page with Scott Lee taking his shirt off at the Perth Telethon

Edit Another video of Scott along with Jackson Heywood has been added to the H&a facebook page of them doing some race thing at the Perth Telethon   

Edited by dncllpyk

Hunter is an irredeemable character to me he did way too much at the start and never really seemed apologetic for it sure he stood up in court and said Billie didn't burn down Leah's house but only after Andy told him he knew about it 

also I think if he hadn't baited Tabitha as much as he did she wouldn't have done half the stuff she did to Olivia 

also hunters comment about James should've know that Olivia was being molestered does he not know these thing are usually impossible to see until it's too late

also has he forgotten that his mother killed his cousin and buried her body in the bush and he didn't know for months and when he did he chose not to report her to the police

I don't get how this character can be made out to be some sort of Angel 

Exactly - this show does this all the time now. They bring guys in such as Kyle, Andy and Hunter and have them perform acts that are pretty irredeemable. And then with no evidence of any significant character change or redemption, suddenly try to sell this character as a bad boy with a heart. At least with Kane, the redemption arc lasted more than 5 minutes. 

Having Hunter repeatedly refer to Tabitha as a psycho even though he had only recently stabbed Andy in prison, makes his character the world's biggest hypocrite to boot. 

I think Olivia has potential as a character but only if she branches out from hanging out with someone more broken than her. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This might sound really silly and like a bit of a big call but I would not be surprised if Hunter is written out of the show. 

The only storylines that he seems to have lately are with Olivia, like if you think about it his whole life pretty much revolves around her at times. Seeing as Olivia is looking likely to have a thing with Mason then it could spell the end of their relationship for good.

Without Hunter's relationship with Olivia there isn't too much currently left for his character, he has recently got a job at the Bait Shop which is something but he seems like the type of kid that is really unsure of his future to the point where if he gets a job he won't last very long unless he is passionate about it and he doesn't really appear to be passionate about too many things. Like he likes basketball, but it's hardly shown anymore. Just the one on-camera match at the start of the year and other than that he only casually plays it on camera, there has been no real storylines about it. 

Another problem is that in terms of family, he's not really very close with them. He seems to be the outsider of the Macguire-Patterson-King family. He doesn't really have a close relationship with any of them other than VJ, Leah and Zac he seems to respect but just isn't as close with them and Evie he almost never talks to, and with her moving out of the House they probably won't have much of an association with each other anymore

So I don't know about Hunter, I just don't really see much potential in his character anymore. What do you guys think?