Forever and Always

sixty-one

Ruby and Evan had gone to the hospital to see April and the baby. Leah had come around to the house to watch the kids, much to the disappointment of Georgia, who really wanted to come and see the baby as well, but not wanting to be too much for April and the baby on his first day in this world, Ruby promised that Georgia could come with her to see the baby once they’d got home. “He is just the cutest little thing,” Ruby said, holding Leo in her arms. “Aren’t you bubba?” Ruby cooed down at the boy as he yawned. “Hmm you are.”

“Someone’s clucky.”April laughed before yawing herself.

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “No babies for a long time. I’m just going to stick to spoiling your boys,” Ruby told her friend. “Speaking of, how did Finn take to him?”

“I think he likes him,” April answered. “He’s a little upset that I didn’t have a little girl but I’m sure once we get home and he gets to know him he’ll forgot all about wanting a sister.”

“Probably,” Evan said, his eyes glued to his nephew. “So where is Finn anyways?” Evan questioned. “And James, come to think of it. I thought they’d both be here with you.”

“Finn is at Bianca’s,” April answered. “And James went home for a shower and to get some sleep,” April yawned. “Apparently the last 24 hours took a lot out of him.”

“Is he being serious?” Ruby questioned, her voice rising. “You were just in labour for 14 hours and he is the one complaining that he is tired?” Ruby looked a little gobsmacked as April nodded in response. “What has he had to do?” Ruby mumbled.

“Well he’s probably not slept for like a day and a half.” Evan said and Ruby glared up at him.

“Yeah well he didn’t just push this little guy out of a tiny little hole,” Ruby said. “Don’t you go sticking up for him.”

“Rubes, it’s fine,” April exhaled. “It means once you two go home, I get to try and get some sleep. He’ll need a feed then he’ll sleep, so I get to sleep,” April yawned again. “Besides, Jay will need all the sleep he can get while me and Leo are here. We don’t know how he’ll settle at home.”

“I guess that true,” Ruby murmured. “But how could he want to go home when he’s got this gorgeous little bubba here to look at?” Ruby questioned, once again looking down to Leo, his soft green eyes darting around the room. “Ah he’s just the cutest,” Ruby exhaled. “Doesn’t look much like Finn.”

“That’s cos Finn looks so much like his mother it’s unreal,” Evan said, once again looking to his nephew. “And this little one looks like his daddy,” Evan cooed. “You do,” Evan lightly rubbed his little cheek. “Now I think you’ve been with Aunty Rubes way to long,” Evan said, taking the baby from Ruby’s grip. “Come give Uncle Evan a cuddle.” Evan said, smiling down at Leo, who gave a big yawn, his eyes scrunching shut.

Charlie was sitting on the stairs that led from their over ocean villa, the water level sitting around her waist. Brax swam over and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her forward slightly. “Don’t pull me in.” Charlie put her hands on his shoulders, pushing on him slightly.

“Come swim,” Brax pouted. “It’s gorgeous. It’s so clear out there.”

“I bet,” Charlie smiled, her hands moving so they were around his neck. “I’ll come in later. We’ve got 2 weeks to swim in the ocean.”

“Maybe we could do more than just swim,” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively. “Since you didn’t join the mile high club with me maybe we can get busy in the ocean instead?”

“Well sorry but I will never have sex on an airplane,” Charlie told him and Brax frowned. “But I am pretty sure we’ve had sex in the ocean before.” Charlie exhaled.

“Not in the Indian Ocean,” Brax pulled Charlie even closer to him. “So we should change that, eh?” Brax raised his eyebrows as he walked backwards, bringing Charlie into the ocean with him. She wrapped her legs around his waist as he held her close to him.

“God sex is all you must think about.” Charlie muttered.

“Not always,” Brax answered. “Sometimes I think about surfing,” Brax grinned and Charlie gave a little laugh as Brax continued to walk her out into the water. “Besides sex with you is so amazing why wouldn’t I want to think about it constantly?” Brax questioned before he kissed her on the lips. Charlie gave a little shrug as she pulled back. “And we are on our honeymoon, so you know, sex is expected. And lots of it,” Brax grinned, kissing her once again. Charlie smiled into the kiss letting it deepen as Brax pulled at the tie on one side of her bikini bottoms before pulling at the other, taking her bottoms and throwing them in the direction of the villa, the bottoms hanging off the edge of the terrace. Their tongues darted into each other’s mouths as Charlie slid her hand down his side before going under the rim of his swim shorts, Brax grunting hungrily as the kiss continued to grow in passion.

April dressed her son in the little white baby grow with a zebra on the front. It was a little big for him, Leo being a small baby, but of course he was almost 4 weeks early so it was expected that he’d be on the small side. “Daddy and Finn should be here to visit soon,” April cooed as she lifted her son from the bed and into her arms, placing a kiss on his temple before she snuggled him against her body, smiling down at him. “I’m happy they are coming but to be honest bud mummy is very much enjoying this alone time with you,” April said, the smile on her face only growing larger as she looked at her new son. “My little cutie.” April gushed as Leo squirmed a little.

“Knock knock.” Irene’s voice could be heard as the door opened and Finn came bounding into the room, Irene following in after him.

“Mummy.” Finn climbed up onto the bed and gave his mother a kiss before looking down to Leo and placing a soft kiss on his cheek before he rubbed his forehead gently, staring in awe at his brother.

“Congratulations love,” Irene placed a soft kiss on April’s cheek before smiling down at the baby. “He’s adorable.” Irene put the flowers on the bedside table, next to the vase of flowers April had already received from Kaya and Bianca.

“Nana Reen has lots and lots for my baby Leo,” Finn told his mother. “But at her house. She no brunged them.” Finn shook his head.

“I bet she’s bought lots,” April looked to Irene giving her the ‘you didn’t need to do that’ look. “And I bet she wants a cuddle,” April said and Irene gave a little nod before taking Leo into her arms and sitting down on the chair next to the bed. “Where’s Jay?” April questioned, expecting him first thing that morning.

“He said he need to pop to town,” Irene answered. “He’ll be here soon,” Irene told her and April gave a little nod, still feeling confused. “So sorry I didn’t come yesterday,” Irene said, not taking her eyes off Leo. “I just thought you’d have enough people wanting to visit and didn’t want to overwhelm you.”

“You wouldn’t have,” April shook her head as Finn cuddled into her. “But thanks.” April smiled. She did have a lot of visitors and truthfully she would have like the first day to have just been herself, James, Finn and Leo.

“Oh mummy,” Finn gasped as he was still staring at Leo. “Why is he funny colour?” Finn scrunched his face up.

“It’s just because he was a little early.” April ran her hand over Finn’s hair as she spoke.

“Oh,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “He be like that forevers?” Finn wondered, looking up at April, his eyes all wide.

“No he won’t,” April told him. “The colour will go away in maybe a week.” April said and Finn gave a little sigh of relief.

“Will you be home then?” Finn wondered.

“I’d think so.” April replied, watching as Irene looking besotted at little Leo. She gave a smile at the scene.

“You think you’ll be in here much longer?” Irene questioned, tearing her eyes away from Leo for just a few seconds before looking back to him.

“A couple more days I think,” April sighed, not sounding best pleased that she needed to stay in hospital, but knew it was what was best for her son. “Just to be safe for Leo.” They wanted to keep an eye on Leo for a couple days, giving his early arrival.

“Well yes you don’t want to get sent home to soon.” Irene exhaled as she ran her index finger gently over Leo’s little cheek, Leo’s green eyes looking around.

“Nah,” April exhaled. “Just wish I didn’t have to be away from this munchkin,” April said as she tickled Finn’s sides, Finn giving out his infectious little giggle. “Hope you are being good for daddy and everyone?” April said and Finn nodded, still giggling even though April had stopped tickling him.

“Can I hold him?” Finn questioned, pointing to Leo. Irene looked a little disappointed that her cuddle time was going to come to an end already, but of course knew she’d have plenty cuddle time with the boy.

“Sure you can.” April said, Irene standing to her feet and handing the baby down to Finn, April helping to put Leo into his arms, making sure he was supporting his head.

“Well, Nana will need to get pictures of this huh?” Irene took her camera from her bag and started clicking away at Finn holding baby Leo.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

sixty-two

Brax turned in the bed and ran his hand gently over Charlie’s stomach. “Morning.” Brax smiled as he leaned over and placed a soft kiss on her lips, his fingertips still lightly circling on her stomach.

“What you doing?” Charlie questioned.

“Just sending good vibes,” Brax shrugged. “You know I......I had a dream last night,” Brax told her. “We had another little girl,” Brax gave a little smile. “And this time she was such a daddy’s girl,” Brax said. “The boys are mummy’s boys for sure and Georgia’s leaning more and more towards you these days so it was nice to see we’ve got a daddy’s girl at last,” Brax grinned. “Not that I blame the kids for preferring you. You are awesome.”

“They don’t prefer me,” Charlie scrunched her face up. “They’re crazy about you.”

“Yeah but you have to admit all the kids so far are mummy’s kids,” Brax exhaled. “So, this one should be a daddy’s child.” Brax said, still rubbing her stomach.

“Why are you talking like I am pregnant already?” Charlie questioned.

“I uh...” Brax shrugged. “Maybe it has happened already,” Brax said. “I mean we’ve done it enough.” Brax gave a cheeky laugh.

Charlie rolled her eyes as she sat up in the bed, moving his hand from her stomach. “We need to get ready for our trip,” Charlie said as she got out of the bed and walked over to the drawer to get her bikini out. They were going on a scuba diving trip, the pair of them having done some scuba diving in the bay before they left so they were able to dive at one of the many reefs in the Maldives. “And don’t forget the underwater camera.” Charlie told him as she dressed herself in her bikini.

“I won’t.” Brax got out of bed and got himself dressed in his board shorts before walking over to Charlie and wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling him close to him. He tucked her hair behind her ear as he placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“Mmm.” Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as her hands caressed his bare back.

“Could always put back this scuba diving trip,” Brax murmured. “Head back to bed.” Brax raised his eyebrows before kissing her again.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head. “We need to do something besides swim and have sex.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little laugh.

“Do we?” Brax questioned. “And you could argue scuba diving is swimming.”

“Well we generally don’t swim under the water with oxygen tanks and see reefs and fish, so, no, it’s different,” Charlie said, raising her eyebrows at her husband. “And we are going.”

“Yeah yeah,” Brax gave a little nod. “It will be fun,” Brax said. “As long as I am with you, I know we will have a great time.” Brax lightly rubbed her cheek before placing a quick kiss on her lips.

“Oh so soppy.” Charlie exhaled.

“Only for you baby.” Brax chuckled.

Charlie rolled her eyes. “Let’s finish getting dressed and head in for breakfast before we go.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod as he read for his t-shirt, looking forward to his day out on the reef.

Leo was four days old when they were finally allowed to go home. James took the car seat from the car as Finn danced about outside, excited that not only his baby brother was coming home, but also his mother. “Hurry daddy,” Finn said. “I want to see him,” Finn jumped around as James walked away from the car, carrying his son into the house for the first time. April walked after him as she yawned, April not getting a good sleep in the hospital. “Daddy.” Finn frowned as he jumped forward, his hands pulling at the car seat.

“Settle down bud,” April pulled him back. “You need to be careful and gentle with a baby.”

“I just want to cuddle him.” Finn sighed as they walked into the house and went through to the living room, Finn squealing in excitement as James lifted Leo out of the car seat.

“Up on the couch then.” James told him and Finn climbed up and patted his knees before James put Leo into Finn’s arms, Finn grinning down at his brother, looking besotted with him. He looked to April who was standing in the room giving a large yawn.

“You should go have a nap.” James said as April walked into him, James wrapping her arms around her, rubbing her back as he kissed her head.

“Mmm,” April shook her head. “Leo needs a feed,” April looked the boys with a smile on her face, before looking back to James. “I’ll give Finn 5 minutes with him first but, like I said, I need to feed him so I can’t go sleep right now.” April said before walking over to the couch and sitting down, resting her head back against the cushion as she closed her eyes for a few moments.

“Well you go rest after that then,” James said, sitting down on the couch next to April. “I called the uni, let them know you had Leo,” James exhaled. “They’ve said you can do the 2 weeks you’ll miss now when you go back next year.” James told her.

April pursed her lips. “Yeah, I eh.....I’ve been thinking about that actually,” April said, rolling her engagement ring around her finger. “I’m not going back.”

“What?” James widened his eyes in shock. Passing her schooling and becoming a doctor was very important to April, so he didn’t think she’d want to drop out. “But hun,” James rubbed her arm. “This is like really important to you.”

“Not as important as the boys,” April exhaled. “And I need to put them first and right now if that means giving up on my dream for them, then....” April trailed off, giving a little shrug. “It’s what I need to do. I need to be a mother right now. I can’t....I was starting to struggle as it was with just Finn. Now Leo is here to, I....” April paused. “I can’t do it with two young kids.”

“You can,” James assured her. “Remember I am finishing up at the garage when you need to go back after summer break,” James told her. “We can turn one of the many spare rooms we have into a study for you so you can go do your work and we can even soundproof it so you don't hear the kids when you are trying to concentrate.” James said.

April looked up to him, her lips pursing as she shook her head. “I’ve made up my mind. It’s not about me right now. The boys need me at home and you know I can always go back once they are in school.” April sounded sad as she spoke and James could see this wasn’t what she really wanted deep down.

“April -”James started to talk, but April cut him off.

“James,” April raised her voice as she put her hand on his arm. “I’ve made my choice. It’s for me to make, not you,” April said before looking round to Finn who was pulling funny faces as Leo lay in his arms. “Right bud mummy has to feed this little one right now,” April said, taking Leo from Finn, Finn looking disappointed he could no longer hold his brother. “You can help me bath him later, yeah?” April questioned and Finn grinned as he nodded his head as April began to feed her son, James watching her, hoping he could change her mind on her going back to school.

Kaya came running out of the school gates. “Heath.” Kaya picked up her pace as ran into the man, the girl obviously happy to see him.

“Alright cupcake, how was school?” Heath questioned as Kaya took his hand in hers and they started to walk away from the school.

“It was okay,” Kaya answered. “Can we bake cookies when we go home?” Kaya questioned. “I like to bake, its fun.” Kaya gave a little skip.

“Uhm, baking is probably more of your mum’s thing.” Heath answered as they made the walk home from Kaya’s school to their house.

“But mummy is working at her school,” Kaya sighed. “We can bake cookies for her coming home,” Kaya exhaled, looking up to Heath with her big green eyes. “They will taste so good and we can decorate them with pink icing and uhm...sprinkles.” Kaya gave him a pleading look.

“I was going to take you to the diner for a milkshake,” Heath said. “You love your milkshakes, huh?” Heath questioned and Kaya gave a little nod.

“But I don’t want a milkshake,” Kaya sighed. “Heath please can you just bake with me? It will be fun.” Kaya gave him a pout as she fluttered her eyelashes at him.

“Baking huh?” Heath exhaled as Kaya nodded. “Sure, I can give baking a go.” Heath answered and Kaya grinned as she leapt in the air, excited for her baking with Heath when they arrived home.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah, MelBelle94 and Kristen for the comments. :)

sixty-three

“Mmm something smells nice,” Bianca walked back into the house after work, putting her bag down on the couch before walking through to the kitchen. “Hey sweetie.” Bianca kissed the top of her daughters head as she put her hand on her shoulder and looked down at she was decorating the cookies with some pink icing.

“We are baking cookies.” Kaya told her mother and Bianca glanced at Heath who was wearing her white and pink cooking apron.

“Nice look,” Bianca told her boyfriend as he walked over and gave her a quick kiss hello.

“She insisted I wore it.” Heath mumbled and Bianca laughed.

“You have flour on your forehead,” Bianca wiped her hand over his brow, getting rid of the flour for him. Heath gave her a smile before he shook some sprinkles over the cookie Kaya had just covered in icing. “You should have changed out for your school uniform first.” Bianca ran her hand through Kaya’s ponytail. Even though she was wearing her ladybug apron, Bianca would still have preferred if she didn’t bake in her school dress.

“It’s fine mummy,” Kaya answered, still busy putting icing over the cookies. “Hurry Heath it’s going to get hard.” Kaya pointed to two cookies Heath was yet to sprinkle.

“Sorry.” Heath said, quickly doing as she was told, covering the two cookies with some sprinkles.

“So how about we take some of these cookies for April, James and Finn?” Bianca questioned. “I got some presents for the baby today from an old teacher of April’s so was going to go around and see the baby again,” Bianca said. “I guess you’ll want to come?”

“Oh yes,” Kaya answered, an excited tone in her voice. “And you Heath. You should come and see her baby. He is cute.”

“Uhm, sure,” Heath rubbed the back of his head. “I’ll come along.”

“Good,” Kaya grinned up at him. “You can practise holding a baby for when you and mummy have yours.” Kaya said and Heath widened his eyes as he looked up to Bianca.

“Anything you need to tell me?” Heath questioned.

“No no no,” Bianca shook her head. “She just wants a sibling now.” Bianca said and Heath gave little nod before continuing to decorate the cookies with Kaya, thinking that a baby with Bianca didn’t actually sound like a bad idea.

Brax looked down to his leg as he winced in pain, rubbing above the large cut that ran down the side of his calf muscle. “Stop being a baby.” Charlie slapped is chest as they were sitting out on the decking of the villa, looking out to the ocean as their legs dangled over the edge, their feet in the water.

“It’s sore.” Brax sighed, clearing not about to get sympathy from his wife.

“It’s just a little scratch.” Charlie laughed.

“That is very much more than a little scratch,” Brax pointed to his cut. “The reef tore through the wetsuit,” Brax’s voice went higher and Charlie once again just laughed. “It’s not funny.” Brax didn’t look amused.

“Sorry,” Charlie cleared her throat. “Do you want me to do anything?” Charlie questioned. “Nurse it with a damp cloth or kiss it better?” Charlie said, her lips curling in amusement.

“I like the sounds of you as my nurse.” Brax gave a cheeky grin.

“Well I think nurse Charlotte know just what she needs to do to make you feel all better,” Charlie said as she raised her eyebrows and leaned forward softly kissing Brax’s lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting deepen as his tongue entered her mouth. “Mmmm,” Charlie moaned as she wrapped her arms around Brax’s neck, the kiss growing in passion. “It is funny though,” Charlie said pulling back from the kiss. “We were scuba diving and we saw sharks and you get hurt because you swam to close to the reef.”

“It’s not like they were great whites,” Brax exhaled. “I’m sure you’d be getting out the way and banging into the reef too.”

Charlie gave a little chuckle. “Let’s go inside,” Charlie said, standing up and holding her hand out, Brax taking it into his and standing up next to her. “I’ll see to that little scratch then I’ll try to take your mind off it.” Charlie raised her eyebrows suggestively as she led Brax back into the villa.

Kaya was holding Leo as she smiled adoringly down at him. Leo scrunched his face up he stretched. “Ugh,” Kaya looked up to April. “I think he pooped.” Kaya no longer wanted to hold Leo now he smelled. She held him away from her and April laughed at her niece as she took her son back into her arms.

“Maybe daddy wants to change his nappy?” April said, looking to James who screwed his face up. “You have to do one.” April sighed.

“I’ve changed plenty.” James’ voice got defensive.

“Yeah wet ones,” April sighed. “You changed Finn’s stinky nappies. Why not Leo’s?” April wondered Finn looking up from eating his cookie, some icing and crumbs around his face.

“Cos he’s brand new and it smells so much worse.” James curled his nose and April glared at him silently for a moment.

“Heath will change him,” Kaya piped up. “Ay Heath. You need to practise for your baby with mummy.” Kaya said and April’s head shot in Bianca’s direction.

“I’m not pregnant,” Bianca told her sister before April had the chance to question it. “She is now wishing it on me because of this one.” Bianca said, pointing to Leo, who was beginning to fall asleep in his mother’s arms.

“Ah,” April gave a little nod before glancing at James. “Well babe. He still needs changed.” April handed Leo out for James to take.

“Daddy I will help,” Finn looked up from eating his cookie. He ran over to April and sat his cookie on her knee. “Look after it,” Finn instructed and April gave a little nod as Finn ran from the room, April hearing him run up the stairs, Finn obviously wanting to change Leo in his nursery, despite April having some nappies and baby wipes at hand in the living room. “Daddy.” Finn screeched from half way up the stairs. James exhaled lightly as he stood up and walked over to April, taking Leo in his arms and walking out of the room.

“You should go help too.” Kaya said, looking up to Heath.

Heath gave a little laugh. “I don’t think I need to help,” Heath said. “Maybe when Leo is a little older and we are babysitting for April and James you’ll see me change a nappy then.” Heath told her and Kaya gave a little frown before taking a drink of her juice.

“You should practice now.” Kaya sighed.

Heath gave a little chuckle. “Bet you are glad to be home?” Heath questioned, glancing at April who gave a nod as she yawned.

“Mmm yeah,” April answered. “Think Jay is glad we are home too,” April exhaled. “He didn’t stay long in the hospital whenever he came to visit so he can finally start bonding with his son.”

“Why wouldn’t he stay?” Bianca scrunched her face up, a little confused.

“He hates hospitals,” April shrugged. “Anyways apart the refusal to change smelly nappies he’s great with Leo and is bonding now and that’s all that matters.” April said, giving a smile as he knew how great of a father James already was.

Georgia walked down the stairs, taking them one at a time. She had Owlie and a koala teddy that Evan had bought her at the zoo on their recent trip firm in her grasp and her owl blankie was being dragged behind her. “Ruby,” Georgia squeaked as she sniffed back tears. “Ruby.” Georgia said as she entered the living room seeing Ruby and Evan snuggled up on the couch. Ruby turned the volume of the TV down as Georgia stood before then.

“What’s wrong sweetie?” Ruby spoke softly, leaning forward as rubbing her sisters arm.

“I want mummy,” Georgia cried.

“Ah sweetie mummy is on her holidays.” Ruby picked Georgia up as she howled.

“Want mummy.” Georgia said again, her tears getting heavier as her screaming got louder.

“You can’t darling,” Ruby rubbed her sisters back. “She’s too far away right now.”

“Want daddy then,” Georgia cried. “Please Ruby.” Georgia whaled, the little girl seeming inconsolable right now.

“He’s on holiday too.” Ruby told her sister as she continued to rub her back.

“I want them here.” Georgia cried, Ruby feeling her heart breaking for her little sister. Of course at 2 and a half, she was going to miss her parents and two weeks would feel like forever.

“Ah you don’t want mummy and daddy,” Evan said, nudging her shoulder. “Without them you can stay up later and we don’t give you as much veggies to eat and hey, how about on the weekend we go to the aquarium?” Evan questioned, Georgia calming from her cries as she wiped her hand across her face.

“And see Nemo?” Georgia questioned and Evan gave a little nod as Georgia managed a little smile.

“For sure we can find Nemo.” Evan said and Georgia glanced at Ruby before looking back to Evan.

“Kay.” Georgia sniffed back.

“Now, how about you come sit on Evan’s knee?” Evan said, taking Georgia from Ruby’s knee and placing her on his own. “And I will tell you a story.”

“Bout Owlie an Koala?” Georgia questioned.

“Of course it’ll be about these two.” Evan said and Georgia smiled as she snuggled into Evan, Ruby looking around to her boyfriend and giving him a smile, loving how great he was with her siblings, before cuddling into him herself, ready to hear his story.

Thanks. :) This will be the last chapter I post until I get back from my holiday.

sixty-four

April lay a sleeping Leo down into the moses basket before walking over to her bed and slipping in under the covers. “Before you settle, I’ve got something for you.” James said as he opened the top drawer of his bedside table and pulled out the box.

“Oh,” April raised her eyebrows as she took the gift into her hand. “What’s this for?” April questioned.

“I was under the impression daddy got the mummy a push present these day,” James said. “So, it uhm....just a little something.” James gave her a smile.

“Jay,” April exhaled. “You didn’t need to get me anything.”

“Well you have already given me two handsome little dudes, so I wanted to show you I am very thankful for that,” James said and April smiled at him before she opened the box, gasping as she saw the light blue topaz pendant hanging on the silver chain. “Topaz is the stone of November,” James told her as April ran her hand over the pendant. “Do you like it?” James questioned.

“Like it?” April replied. “Babe it’s beautiful, I love it,” April leaned across and softly kissed his lips. “Thank you.”

“I didn’t want to give you it in the hospital,” James told her. “So that’s why it’s 4 days late.”

“Help me put it on,” April told him, handing his the necklace as she turned in the bed, moving her hair out of the way so James could put her necklace on for her. “How does it look?” April questioned, turning to face James again.

“Lovely,” James smiled before he leaned forward and placed another kiss on her lips. “I hope you like the colour. I picked blue because he’s a boy.”

“Yeah I do,” April smiled as she held the pendant in her hand. “And it’s really similar to the aquamarine in my engagement ring so it’s matches,” April grinned. “You made a great choice,” April smiled as the door creaked open and Finn came running into the room, Jumpy the wallaby teddy coming with him. “Hey bud you okay?” April questioned as Finn ran over to the bed and climbed up, crawling in between his parents.

“Is Leo still here?” Finn questioned, glancing in the direction of the moses basket.

“Yeah of course,” April ran her hand over his bed hair. “He’s our little boy and your baby brother. He’ll live here with us.”

“Good,” Finn grinned. “Can I hold him?”

“Nah not right now little dude,” James told him, Finn pouted sadly. “Little bro is sleeping.”

“In the morning?” Finn questioned, looking up to his father, his big brown eyes - even though they showed he was tired - showed he was hopeful he’d be able to hold his brother then.

“Of course,” James said. “You can help get him ready for his day huh?” James questioned. “Pick out a little outfit for him?”

“Yeah I will,” Finn answered, liking the idea. He gave a yawn as he rubbed his hands over his eyes. “Imma sleepy.”

“Me too bud,” April yawned as she rubbed her sons back. “How about we get some sleep?” April questioned and Finn nodded as he cuddled into his mother, James leaning over and turning his side light off before laying down to sleep with April and Finn.

Brax walked back along the decking before going into the villa, walking straight throw to the door that lead to outside and walked over to his wife, who was sitting on the terrace, her legs dangling down over the side, her feet in the water. “One daiquiri.” Brax said, giving his wife the cocktail as he sat down with his beer.

“Thank you,” Charlie smiled before taking a drink. “Rubes sent me a picture of her with little Leo when you were gone,” Charlie told him. “Little cutie. He’s a lot like James.”

“Oh yeah?” Brax exhaled. “Leo though?” Brax scrunched his face.

“I like it,” Charlie said before taking another drink of her daiquiri through the straw. “It’s cute and I think it goes well with Finn. They’re both short and sweet.”

“I guess,” Brax mumbled. “Still we will go for something like Jacob or Jessica or Annabel or Harley.”

“Harley?” Charlie scrunched her face up. “I am not having a motorbike.”

Brax chuckled. “Well what do you suggest?” Brax questioned, taking a drink of his beer.

“I suggest we wait till I get pregnant before discussing names,” Charlie said and Brax gave a little pout. “Seriously babe, calm down a little.” Charlie exhaled. She was trying to get excited about the prospect of another baby, but right now it wasn’t something she felt she truly wanted.

“I’m excited at the thought of another little Braxton,” Brax exhaled. “What’s so wrong with that?”

“It adds to the pressure.” Charlie sighed.

“You just worry too much,” Brax murmured before taking another drink of his beer before he glanced at the time on his phone. “Anyways the kids will be home from school now. Probably about time we gave them another phone eh?” Brax said and Charlie nodded as she had the straw in her mouth, taking a drink of her daiquiri. Brax gave her a smile as he started calling Ruby’s mobile, so they could talk with the kids.

Bianca, Heath and Kaya walked down to the beach, Kaya keen to build some sandcastles and have a little swim before dinner. “Heath will you surf?” Kaya questioned.

“Nah,” Heath answered. “I didn’t bring my board,” Heath told her. “Why? You want me to show you how to surf?” Heath questioned, actually liking the thought.

“No,” Kaya shook her head. “I just like watching you do it.”

“Well I’ll bring my board next time.” Heath told her and Kaya gave a little smile.

“I’m just going to go find some shells to put on the top of the castles I make.” Kaya said before running off down the beach.

“Not too far.” Bianca shouted out to her daughter but Kaya just kept running as if she didn’t hear.

“Babe.” Heath spoke tentatively as he looked around to Bianca.

“Hmm.” Bianca raised her eyebrows.

“You know how Kaya has been going on about a baby since Leo arrived?” Heath questioned and Bianca gave a cautious nod, not sure she wanted to hear what Heath might say. “Well....like what do you think of the topic?”

“Of us having a baby?” Bianca questioned and Heath gave a little nod. “Uhm,” Bianca clicked her tongue. “I used to think I’d have 2 or 3 kids,” Bianca answered. “But then all that with Liam happened and I was genuinely happy with just Kaya,” Bianca exhaled. “Being around Poppy, Finn and Georgia does sometimes make me yearn for a little one again and of course little Leo’s made my uterus skip,” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“But right now, I think we’ve only been together 6 months and it’s too soon to say let’s have a baby.”

“Right,” Heath gave a little nod. “But you’d be open to having more kids?” Heath questioned. “Because honestly, having a little Bianca or mini Heath, even a little Kaya with you would be the best thing I could ever think of doing.” Heath said, a grin on his face as he pictured his and Bianca’s kids running around.

“I think that would be pretty great too, but, in the future,” Bianca told him. “Don’t you think it’s too early in our relationship right now?”

“Maybe,” Heath shrugged. “But just because we’ve been together longer it doesn’t mean it’s more of the right time,” Heath said. “I mean Tash and me were together nearly 10 years and you’d think that would be the right time to start a family but then she went and cheated on me,” Heath sighed sadly. “So, I think if it feels right for you then.....do it.” Heath gave a little shrug.

“It does feel right being with you but I still want to wait before having a child with you.” Bianca told him and Heath picked up a clump of sand and let the grains fall through the gaps of his fingers as he nodded his head.

“Just as long as I know kids are in our future.” Heath smiled and Bianca gave a little nod and she leaned in and placed a soft kiss on Heath’s lips, Heath smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments. :)

sixty-five

As promised, Ruby and Evan had taken the kids to the aquarium for the day. Georgia was on Evan’s shoulders as Kobe was holding Ruby’s hand, Daniel walking a little in front. “Ruby?” Kobe spoke quietly as he looked up to her.

“Yeah bud?” Ruby questioned, looking to her as good as little brother.

“Did you know that stingrays like to be in shallow waters and like to be a bit buried in the sand and uhm....they can hide themselves from like sharks and stuff so they don’t get eated.” Kobe told her, having just been to see the stingrays, so having them on his mind.

“Oh really?” Ruby questioned and Kobe gave a little nod.

“I like to learn about the animals,” Kobe smiled. “Mummy got me a big book on all of them so her and daddy can read to me about them,” Kobe told her. “When I can read better I can read it to them instead.” Kobe said with a smile of his face.

“Well that’s cool.” Ruby said and Kobe gave a little nod.

“Yeah I wanna work at the zoo or aquarium when I am older,” Kobe said. “Maybe be a doctor for all the animals.”

“You mean a vet,” Ruby said and Kobe gave a little nod. “That’s a good job buddy.” Ruby smiled as they stopped at the window, Georgia gasping as she saw the different fish swim passed.

“What that Evan?” Georgia put her hand on the window as a fish went passed.

“Uhm....” Evan shrugged. “A stripy fish.”

Daniel giggled. “It’s a zebra fish,” Daniel told his sister. “And that one is Nemo.”

“I know Nemo,” Georgia looked down to Daniel like he was stupid for telling her this. “What that one?” Georgia said, pointing again. “Evan.” Georgia banged her hands off the top of his head and Ruby chuckled, spurring Georgia on to doing it again.

“That’s an Angel fish,” Kobe told her as Evan brought his hand over his head, moving Georgia’s hands from hitting his head. “And that one is a seahorse.” Kobe said, pointing down to the bottom of the tank.

“Kobe,” Georgia gasped. “You know them all.”

“Yeah I know,” Kobe grinned. “I will tell you about all the fish.” Kobe sounded happy he was giving out information. Ruby smiled as she put her hands on his shoulders, continuing to look at all the different fish that was swimming passed with her boyfriend and siblings.

April buttoned up the baby grow, talking to her son about the day they were going to have. “We’ll show you where Nana Reen works, huh?” April cooed. Leo made some noises as his eyes were looking around the room. She stopped in concern as it seemed Leo took a moment to catch his breath. “You okay baby?” April rubbed his cheek; Leo’s breathing sounding a little wheezy.

“Mummy,” Finn screeched as he ran through to the bedroom. “Is Leo ready?” Finn wondered.

“Yeah he is.” April answered, lifting her son into her arms, rubbing his back as he was up over her shoulder.

“Can I take him?” Finn held his hands out to take his little brother in his arms.

“Not on the stairs buddy,” April answered. “But you can carry the nappy bag down for mummy,” April told him, gesturing down to the nappy bag. Finn sighed before taking the strap in his hand, dragging the bag behind him as they left the room, Finn banging his feet loudly on the carpet, showing he wasn’t pleased he wasn’t getting to hold his baby brother. Finn thumped down the stairs after April, occasionally hitting her bottom with his free hand. “Stop it,” April told her son. “You can hold Leo later.” April told him, Finn muttering as they walked into the living room.

“Can we take the lion?” Finn questioned, picking up the lion teddy from the moses basket that sat in the living room.

“Sure. Put it in the pram,” April answered and they walked into the hall, April laying Leo down into the pram as Finn tiptoed up and put the lion teddy in with his brother. April took the nappy bag - which Finn had let go of at the doorway to the living room - and hung it over the handles of the pram. “Right you all ready to head for some lunch?” April questioned and Finn grinned as he nodded his head, his hand grabbing onto the bar of the pram.

“Is daddy coming?” Finn questioned.

“Yeah, he’ll meet us at the diner.” April said as she opened the front door before going back to push the pram out.

“Where he be’s now?” Finn asked as she locked the door to the house before walking down the path leading her to the sidewalk to walk into town. Their house wasn’t far from town, only about a 10 minute walk, but April and James both liked the fact the house stood on its own, but that it wasn’t too far from town.

“He went for a surf, remember?” April questioned, it being the first time James had gone to surf since Leo was born, two weeks earlier.

“Why he no take me?” Finn pouted as they made their way into town.

“Because you wanted to stay home with Leo,” April answered. “Maybe we can have a day at the beach soon with Leo and daddy can take you out on your boogie board. How does that sound?” April questioned.

“Yeah.” Finn gave a jump of excitement and the idea.

“Awesome. We’ll go soon then, huh?” April questioned as she looked into the pram at her youngest, pursing her lips a little in concern as he was still wheezy.

“Mummy,” Georgia screeched as she leapt into Charlie’s arms, hugging her tightly. “I miss you.”

“I missed you to sweetie,” Charlie kissed her daughters temple as one hand went down to rub Kobe’s back, Kobe hugging into her side. “And you bud,” Charlie looked down to Kobe, who was giving her a big grin. “You have a good time with Ruby and Evan though?” Charlie questioned and Kobe nodded as he continued to cuddle into her.

“Daddy.” Georgia held her hands out and Brax took his daughter in his arms for a hug.

“How you doing bud?” Charlie looked to Daniel who still looked pissed at his parents for not getting to go on the holiday too.

“I’m fine,” Daniel sighed. “How was the Maldives?” Daniel questioned as he folded his arms across his chest.

“It was great,” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she shared a smile with Brax. “And you know, it’s not the place for a kid your age anyways,”

Charlie told him. “It’s more an adult place,” Charlie said, Daniel giving a little frown. “You got to go to Bali.” Charlie reminded him.

“Yeah but so did you.” Daniel pouted.

Brax gave a little laugh as he ruffled Daniel’s hair as he put Georgia down, Georgia running back to give Charlie another hug as Kobe went to Brax. “I’m sure we’ll have another holiday soon.” Brax told him, this cheering him up a bit.

“Promise?” Daniel questioned. “One where we go on a plane?” Daniel questioned and Brax nodded as he hugged with Kobe. “Okay,” Daniel

grinned. “So how was your scuba diving?” Daniel wondered, Daniel keen to do this with Brax and Charlie when he was a little older.

“It was fun,” Brax answered. “We saw so much fish and turtles, manta rays and even sharks.”

Kobe gasped as he pulled back from the hug with Brax. “Great whites?”

“No no,” Charlie laughed. “They were only whale sharks.”

“Only?” Daniel raised his voice. “You still saw sharks. That would be scary but cool at the same time.”

“No sharks,” Georgia squealed. “No see ‘em ever.” Georgia sounded adamant as she covers her eyes with her hands.

“Yeah we did see them,” Kobe piped in. “Yesterday. At the aquarium.”

“You guys got spoilt huh,” Charlie ruffled Kobe’s hair. “The zoo one weekend then the aquarium,” Charlie said. “What else did you guys get up to?”

“Uhm,” Daniel scratched the side of his head “We went to the park and to the movies and hung out at the beach,” Daniel said. “It was fun.”

“Well I hope you thanked Ruby and Evan for all they did with you,” Brax said and all the kids nodded in response. “Well in that case maybe me and mummy need to check the bags and see if any presents made their way back with us eh?” Brax questioned and the kids’ faces lit up as they nodded, hoping they did get some presents.

Thanks. :)

sixty-six

“Mummy,” Georgia pulled on Charlie’s skirt. “Mummy.” Georgia moaned impatiently.

“What sweetie?” Charlie questioned, looking down to her daughter. Charlie was in the diner getting some milkshakes for the boys and Georgia and coffees for herself and Brax, Brax with the boys on the beach, the boys bringing their boogie boards down to get into the surf.

“I see Leo an Finn.” Georgia pointed over to the table where April and Finn were sitting, April holding Leo in her arms.

“Go on then.” Charlie said, Georgia cheering as she ran across, Charlie walking after her.

“Oh hey Charlie,” April smiled up at her. “How was the honeymoon?”

“It was great,” Charlie smiled, looking down at the baby. “Congratulations. He’s gorgeous.” Charlie noticed he looked a little flushed, pursing her lips a little, not sure if she should say anything to April.

“Thanks,” April smiled. “Thought I’d bring him out at last.”

“Two weeks old isn’t that bad,” Charlie said. “I think Daniel was about 6 weeks old before I ventured out,” Charlie laughed as she watched Georgia gently touching the baby’s head. “How you liking your new brother?” Charlie said, glancing at Finn.

“He is cool.” Finn grinned before he and Georgia started their own little conversation.

“You not seen James on your way here, have you?” April questioned, moving Leo a little in her arms. “He’s supposed to be meeting us here for lunch.”

“Yeah he’s down on the beach. Talking to Brax about some surfing thingy.” Charlie shrugged and April gave a little laugh before glancing down at her son.

“Charlie?” April spoke with apprehension. “Do you think Leo looks okay?” April questioned. “I....he feels a little warm and he’s wheezy. Can you hear?” April said, Charlie seeing the young mother looked rather worried. Charlie bent down a little, moving closer to Leo and she too could hear the wheeze in his breathing.

“He does sound a little wheezy,” Charlie said. “But it is hot outside. Maybe he’s just a little too warm.”

“But he’s been wheezy since he woke this morning,” April said, glancing at her son as Charlie felt his forehead. “Do you think I should take him to the hospital?”

Charlie gave a little shrug. “If it’s going to make you feel better,” Charlie said. “There’s nothing wrong with checking.” Charlie told her and April gave her a thankful smile before looking back to her son.

“I don’t know, maybe it’s just doctor April coming out in me,” April gave a little laugh as she stroked her sons head. “As you say, it is hot out today.”

“I think any mother always gets a little panicky when there’s a slight change in their baby’s usual behaviour,” Charlie told her. “He’s more than likely just learning what to do in this world but going to see the midwife won’t do harm.”

“Yeah,” April gave a little nod. “We’ll see how he is later today.” April said, glancing up as she saw James walking into the diner, ready to join them for lunch.

“Well I’ll let you have some lunch,” Charlie told her. “C’mon honeybee,” Charlie held her hand out and gestured for Georgia to come with her. Georgia waved bye to Finn as she ran back to her mother. “See you.” Charlie said before walking away with Georgia going to get the milkshakes and drinks for everyone.

“You know as much as I’ve enjoyed looking after you’re little siblings, it’s nice to get time to ourselves again.” Evan said as they walked hand in hand to have a little picnic, Evan carrying a small selection of food and drinks in a bag pack.

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed. “They love you. Especially Georgia.”

“She’s awesome,” Evan grinned as he squeezed Ruby’s hand tighter. “Would love to have a daughter just like her.”

“Really?” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “She’s a terror half the time.”

“That’s what makes her so cute,” Evan laughed. “She knows she’s about to get a telling off so she gets these cute eyes on and pouty lips,” Evan exhaled. “I’d love a little girl.”

“Oh yeah?” Ruby questioned.

“Hmm,” Evan nodded. “Twin girls would be even cuter,” Evan smiled, already thinking about his future family with Ruby. “Then a little boy after that. We’ve have a house out on its own like your parents place or Jay and April’s place,” Evan said. “Nice big garden, swimming pool, all that stuff,” Evan told her as they made their way through the grassy area to sit by the lake. “Imagine we could come for picnics here. The girls can ride their little bikes with a basket on the front and a little baby seat on the back for their dolls, you can carry the little guy in his baby carrier.” Evan smiled fondly and Ruby could see that this was something he’d clearly thought a lot about.

“God, next you’ll be telling me you have the names picked out already.” Ruby mumbled.

“Well actually,” Evan glanced down at her. “For the twins I’ve already thought of Gabriella and Sophia and then for our little guy, Alexander.”

“I see,” Ruby widened her eyes. “All very lovely names but I’m afraid we don’t get to decide if its twins or girls or boys, so your little plan might work out a bit differently.” Ruby said as they took a seat on the grass, Evan taking the bag from his back.

“I know,” Evan exhaled. “It’s just nice to have a dream, right?” Evan questioned and Ruby took a deep breath, giving a little nod. Of course she’d dreamed about her future family. Getting married and having kids. Of course it used to be Dex’s face in those pictures, but now, if Ruby was being honest, the husband/father didn’t really have a face right now. She loved Evan and could see herself being really happy with him but she didn’t want to dream to far ahead now, not after losing Dex like she did and having all her dreams taken from her. She couldn’t deal with that again so thought it best to just live in the moment right now.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded after a lengthy pause. “You can dream.” Ruby smiled before reaching for a bottle of juice, needing to quench her thirst.

Charlie and Brax were standing in the doorway of Heath’s old room. “Would be nice to have him in here in time for Christmas eh?” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod in agreement. “Although if we are going to be having another little Braxton, maybe we need a bigger house.”

“This house is big enough,” Charlie said. “The baby can share with Georgia.”

“And that’s fine for a while when they are little but if it’s a boy they can’t share forever.” Brax exhaled, his head cocking to the side a little as he folded his arms across his chest.

“Then he can go in with Kobe or maybe by then Ruby will be living in her own place so the baby can have her room,” Charlie exhaled. “And anyways I thought you said I’d have another little girl anyways, so she can share with Georgia forever.”

“I dunno what you are going have,” Brax said as he moved closer to Charlie and rubbed her stomach. “Aww is it too early to take a test?” Brax questioned, the sound of hope in his voice that Charlie was already expecting.

“Probably,” Charlie moved his hand from her stomach as she turned her head to look out of the door. “Kobe.” Charlie shouted him through. Kobe came running out of Daniel’s room, Wally wombat making the trip with him.

“Yes mummy?” Kobe looked up to her, his soft green eyes all wide.

“Now Uncle Heath has moved out, daddy and I thought that you’d like to have your very own bedroom,” Charlie said, smiling as she saw Kobe’s face lighting up. “You like the sound of that?”

“Uh-huh,” Kobe nodded. “I like to share with Daniel but my own room would be awesome too,” Kobe grinned. “And we can sometimes do sleepovers eh?” Kobe wondered. “Daniel can sleep in here and I can sleep there still?”

“Sure son,” Brax rubbed Kobe’s head. “You can do that.”

“Cool.” Kobe beamed.

“So, I’m not sure this is a 5 year olds dream room so how would you like it decorated?” Charlie questioned, Kobe scratching the side of his head as he sucked in his bottom lip.

“Uhm,” Kobe gave a little shrug. “Maybe some green and uhm...” He scratched his head again as he walked further into the room. “Oh,” Kobe gave a little leap into the air. “Can I get bunk beds like Daniel has?” Kobe questioned.

Charlie and Brax shared a glance and Charlie gave a little nod. “Of course you can, mate.” Brax answered and Kobe grinned in delight.

“And I get to sleep on the top?” Kobe wondered. “Cos at Daniel’s room I get the bottom.” Kobe told them, Daniel of course wanting the top bunk, the only time he’d sleep on the bottom would be if he was sick.

“You can sleep wherever you want bud.” Charlie answered and Kobe gave a little skip as he moved across the room.

“And maybe uhm....I could get a green beanbag chair for the corner,” Kobe pointed to the corner of the room. “And uhm....that sound good.”

“That’s all you are requesting?” Charlie said. “Bunk beds, green walls and a green beanbag chair?”

“Uh-uh,” Kobe nodded. “It’s all I need.”

“Well that’s easy to sort then eh?” Brax said as Kobe ran back over to them, nodding his head.

“Well will it be ready?” Kobe questioned, looking very keen to get his very own room.

“We’ll get started on it tomorrow eh?” Brax said. “Maybe by next weekend you’ll be in this room.” Brax told him and Kobe grinned looking pleased about getting his new bedroom.

Thanks. :)

sixty-seven

April walked down the stairs, feeling all fresh from her shower. She stopped in the doorway of the living room for a moment, smiling as James was sitting with the boys. Leo was lying on his chest, as Finn was cuddled into him as he read a story. She walked into the room, looking down to see Finn had actually fallen asleep, James seeming oblivious to the fact as he was still reading. “You know he is sleeping right?” April said as she bent down and rubbed her son’s back.

“Little bro is still enjoying my story.” James said, cocking his head so he could see Leo’s face, his eyes scanning his surroundings.

“Does he sound okay to you?” April questioned, rubbing Leo’s back as his breathing was still wheezy.

“I’m very aware he is breathing,” James answered. “If that makes sense.”

“Mmm,” April pursed her lips as she nodded her head. “Maybe it’s worth taking him to the hospital.” April spoke tentatively as she looked up at James.

“Why?” James already sounded panicked. “What do you think is wrong?”

“I’m not sure,” April shrugged. “That’s why I want to take him to hospital. Just to be safe.”

“But you must have an idea?” James questioned. “You are training to be a doctor. You should know things.” James glanced up at her, expecting an answer.

“I....” April pursed her lips. “I don’t want to cause any unnecessary worry or get myself all worked up,” April said. “I’m not going to diagnose him. I’m his mother, not his doctor.”

“April,” James stood up from the couch, taking a better grip of Leo as the book fell from his knee. Finn fell from leaning on James, down into the soft cushions of the couch, the boy staying asleep. “You’ve clearly got an idea in your mind. I can see it in your eyes.” James was looking into her eyes and knew her well enough to see she was scared and fearful.

“I...” April looked down to Leo, her lips pursing. “Look, let’s just see if Bianca can come around and watch Finn and we can take him to the hospital and get an opinion from a qualified doctor.” April did have a few options on her mind that could possibly be wrong with Leo, if it was indeed anything, but she didn’t want to voice her opinions.

“Okay,” James took a deep breath, looking at his son, whose breathing was getting even wheezier. “And, we’re probably just panicking, right?” James said. “Maybe he’s getting a cold.”

April pursed her lips. She was sure he wouldn’t be getting a cold, giving it was summer and he’d had a temperature, but she didn’t disagree with James. Aside from the temperature and the wheezing, he’d not been taking as much milk as usual and had the constant look of irritation on his face.“Let’s just see what the doctor has to say.” April said, going to get her phone to see if she could get Bianca to come and watch Finn for her.

Charlie yawned as she sat down to the couch next to her husband. She still felt a little giddy every time she thought she was now actually someone’s wife, that she actually had a husband. “I’m so tired.”

Brax glanced up at her as she leaned into him, Brax rubbing her arm. “Keep some energy for later.” Brax told her, raising his eyebrows as he leaned in to kiss her, Charlie knowing Brax wanted sex later.

“We’ve been at it like rabbits these last two weeks,” Charlie rubbed her tired eyes. She’d almost fell asleep with the boys as she was reading their story, so the only thing she wanted to do was go to bed to sleep, and preferably soon. “Can we just have a night off tonight?”

“Not when we are trying to create life.” Brax moved his hand down to her stomach.

Charlie rolled her eyes as she sat up and faced Brax. “You do know there’s more chance of me getting pregnant around my time of ovulation, right?” Charlie questioned. “And I’ve done that this month already.”

“Well there could be a hanger-on.” Brax laughed as he gently rubbed her cheek.

“Hmm,” Charlie exhaled. “And you know, with us being back home it might be that little bit harder to get time.” Charlie said.

“How so?” Brax questioned.

“Well we have 3 kids already,” Charlie bit her lip. “So Daniel could come through feeling sick or Kobe will come through because he’s had one of his bad dreams, then of course there’s Georgia. She usually doesn’t even have an excuse for coming through.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Yeah but -” Brax was cut off by Charlie speaking over him again.

“See just like this,” Charlie gestured to the door as Kobe walked through, Wally wombat under one arm as he held a piece of paper in the other.

“You okay bud?” Charlie questioned as he climbed up onto the couch and sat himself on Charlie’s knee. She placed a soft kiss on his temple as he showed them the piece of paper.

“I forgot to give you this,” Kobe said, looking down to the drawing he did when he was at the zoo. “I did it for you and daddy at the zoo.”

“Ah wow its awesome bud,” Charlie wrapped her arms around his waist. “We’ll put it up in the kitchen hmm?” Charlie said and Kobe gave a little nod, there being a wall in the kitchen that was designated for the kids’ drawings.

“Yeah,” Kobe answered quietly before turning his head to face Charlie. He smiled at her, his hand reaching up and tracing around her face, the look of loved and admiration he had for her very evident in his soft green eyes. “You are back now forever, yeah?” Kobe sighed. “I really missed you too much.”

“We missed you to bud,” Charlie said, taking in upon herself to speak on behalf of Brax as well. “And yes, we are back forever.”

“Well until daddy decides to whisk mummy away again.” Brax said, his eyebrows raising suggestively, Charlie knowing exactly what he was getting at.

“Don't you like being with us?” Kobe questioned with a sad pout on his face.

“Of course we do,” Charlie nudged Brax’s side as he chuckled at the boy. “Daddy is just teasing you. Next time we take a holiday you will be coming with us.” Charlie said and Kobe grinned. He’d never had a holiday before so hoped one day soon Charlie and Brax would take him, along with Daniel and Georgia, maybe even Ruby and Evan on a holiday.

“You ever been on a airplane, Kobes?” Brax questioned.

“No,” Kobe shook his head. “I’ve just been in a car.”

Brax laughed as he ruffled Kobe’s hair. “Well that might change soon, huh?” Brax winked as he glanced at Charlie. “But right now, you can take Air Braxton up to bed.” Brax said, Kobe looking at him with a puzzled expression. Brax lifted Kobe from Charlie’s knee and lay him out, so he was laying flat across his arms. Kobe giggled as he held his hands out in front of him, Brax taking him up the stairs to bed, still hoping he’d get to have alone time with Charlie once they’d got to bed.

April and James were watching as Leo squirmed on the bed, Erin listening to his bare chest with her stethoscope. It was breaking April’s heart, hearing her son crying and not being to go pick him up. James could see she was distressed and gently rubbed her back, April leaning more against him, as she exhaled loudly. Erin clicked her tongue as she removed the ear buds from her ear and put the stethoscope back round her neck. “Is there something wrong?” James questioned, Erin giving a nod at April who immediately rushed forward to pick up her son, holding him close to her and rubbing his back to soothe him.

“I’d like to take an X-ray of his chest.” Erin spoke softly as she stepped closer to the young parents.

“Why?” James questioned. “You must have an idea if you want to X-ray him.” James was sounding angry no one would give a hint at what could

be wrong.

Erin glanced at April, he lips pursing. “Right now, it’s looking very possible that your son has pneumonia.”

As James heard the words, it was like someone was crushing his heart. “No. He’s not...I can’t....no.” James stepped back and turned around, walking over to the door.

“Jay,” April turned around to walk after him. “James,” April raised her voice as she walked down the corridor, Leo screaming in her arms as she picked up her pace. “Where are you going? You can’t just walk out. Jay...” April stopped walking as James sped round the corner of the corridor. She glanced down to Leo as she gently rocked him, trying her best to calm him down. She sighed heavily, knowing right now, James storming off would have to come second. Leo was more important and, right now, finding out if he did in fact have pneumonia even more so. April turned around and looked up, seeing Erin standing out in the corridor, not to far from her.

“Will we take him to get X-rayed or do you want to head off to get James?” Erin questioned.

April looked behind her, although she wasn’t sure why. She knew James wasn’t coming back any time soon. “We need to get him X-rayed,” April cleared her throat before taking a deep breath, trying to stay calm. “I get to stay with him, right?”

“Of course,” Erin gave a little nod as she held her arm out. April walked over to her and Erin rubbed her back in comfort as she took her down to the X-ray department so they could have a better look at Leo’s lungs to see if he did have pneumonia.

Thank you :)

Sixty-eight

April was standing over the cot where her son slept. Erin had allowed her to use her phone in attempt to contact James, but after a few unanswered calls, and a seemingly ignored text, she gave up hope of James returning. She looked up as the door opened and Erin came back into the room. She gave her an empathetic smile before glancing to the notes in her hand. “Have you managed to get in contact with your partner?” Erin wondered, walking further into the room and glancing down at Leo as he slept. April looked away from her gaze, her head shaking in response. “Well parents can often panic when they’re waiting on news about their child. I’d assume he just -”

“His mum died of pneumonia,” April spoke over Erin. “So that’s why he’s....I mean, I guess he heard pneumonia and...” April clicked her tongue as she stopped talking. “Is it?” April questioned, glancing at the results in Erin’s hands.

“Are you sure you want me to do this without James here?” Erin questioned and April gave a little nod as she felt tears springing into her eyes. “It is pneumonia.” Erin told her, stepping forward and giving her shoulder a squeeze of comfort.

“How serious?” April sniffed back.

“Moderate to severe,” Erin spoke quietly. “But you did the right thing in not waiting a few days before bringing him in,” Erin told her. “A small hospital stay will be necessary and we’ll give him an IV with some antibiotics. Nafcillin with Cefotaxime to -”

“I know what they do,” April said, Erin glancing at her questioningly. “I’m a trainee doctor,” April exhaled. Or she could say she was. She still wasn’t sure if she was going to return to school after summer break. She felt right now she should be with the boys. “I...but he’s so young. Is he going to be okay?”

“We won’t give him doses he won’t can handle.” Erin assured her.

“Is this because he came home to soon?” April questioned. “I mean he was nearly 4 weeks early and he didn’t have a NICU stay or anything,” April pursed her lips. “He was four days old before he got home, but maybe ....”

“April,” Erin cut her off. “He was early. Young babies are more susceptible to getting sick anyways and –

“So it’s mine and Jay’s fault?” April questioned. “We didn’t look after him properly and he got -”

“No I am not saying that,” Erin shook her head. “Pneumonia aside he is a very healthy, well looked after baby and you are doing a fantastic job,” Erin told her. “Like I said, babies born early like your son are just more likely to pick things up. Their immune systems are weaker, that’s all.”

April pursed her lips as she looked back down to Leo. She put her hand into the cot and gently stroked over his forehead. “So when do we start with the IV?”

“I have a nurse preparing the first dose now,” Erin told her. “Visiting hours are over, but,” Erin pursed her lips. “He’s very young and if you’d like to stay the night then we can arrange that. I can bring though a bed for you for tonight.” Erin told her and April gave her an appreciative smile, of course not wanting to leave her son.

“Thanks,” April smiled. “I’ll need to call home and see if my sister is good to stay with Finn first,” April was trying to hold it all together. She needed to be strong right now. She pushed back tears from her eyes as she glanced at her son. “I’m not sure where James is going to be so...” April trailed off, not sure if she actually wanted to talk to James right now anyways, as in this moment she was mad with him, felt let down by him and hurt by him all at once.

Brax walked into the bedroom he shared with Charlie. Georgia was jumping on her parents’ bed, Owlie tucked under her arm as her owl blankie was clutched in her other hand, flapping about as she jumped. “You having fun honeybee?” Brax questioned, Georgia grinning in response, too out of breath to give him a spoken answer. Brax chuckled at his daughter as he walked into the en-suite, where Charlie was sorting out clothes for a wash from her and Brax’s laundry basket, putting them into the wash basket that she would take down to the laundry room with her, it already almost full of clothes from the kids’ rooms and bathroom. She threw all of the light coloured clothes on top of the wash basket and lifted it up, glancing up at her husband as she stood straight.

“How was your trip to the store?” Charlie questioned. Brax had had the boys in town with him, being at a DIY store, getting paint for Kobe’s new bedroom.

“Yeah good,” Brax answered. “We got everything we needed,” Brax told her. “The boys are off changing into old clothes so they can help me paint.” Brax said, Brax having moved all the furniture from the room earlier that morning and having made a start to stripping off the paper that had been on the feature wall. Luckily, the other walls were painted white, so would be easy enough to cover with the light shade of green that Kobe had picked. Brax would square off an area for the boys to paint while he hung the lining paper up on the other wall before he was able to paint it.

“Sounds good,” Charlie smiled. “Georgia and I are going to go shopping this afternoon to get a few things for his room,” Charlie told him. “Order the furniture we picked out, get his bean bag chair, maybe some Lego’s and animal books for the shelving unit,” Charlie sucked in her bottom lip. “Some toys, pictures for the walls,” Charlie suggested. “Get it turned into a real nice room for him.”

“Sure,” Brax said. “But don’t go too overboard. Remember Christmas is only two weeks away.”

“I know, I know,” Charlie answered. “I won’t. I just want him to have the same as Daniel and Georgia had when they got their rooms decorated. I don’t want him feeling like we will treat him any differently. I don’t want to treat him any differently.”

“I know,” Brax rubbed her arm. “He’s our son now and hopefully early next year the adoption is accepted.” Brax exhaled, Charlie giving a smile at the idea of making Kobe officially their little boy. Officially Kobe Braxton. They’d handed their adoption request in to the centre the day before and knew it would be after Christmas now before hearing anymore. While they were there, Brax filled out papers to officially adopt Daniel as well so he was looking forward to hearing back about the day they could make these adoptions official.

“Well I don’t see any reason for there not to be.” Charlie said, moving the wash basket in her hand a little, it starting to get heavy in her arms.

“Me either,” Brax gave her a smile. “Now, I got you a little something while we were out.” Brax said, lifting up his hand to reveal the small paper bag. Charlie put the wash basket down on the toilet seat as she took it in her hand, then noticing he’d bought her something from the pharmacy.

“A gift from the pharmacy?” Charlie screwed her face up. “You really know the way to a girl’s heart, don’t you?” Charlie mumbled as she pulled out the box from inside the bag. Charlie exhaled, then bit her lip, her head shaking a little at seeing the pregnancy test in her hand. “Brax, I’m not pregnant.”

“Well you’ve not taken the test yet so how do you know?” Brax questioned. “It’s not going to hurt you to just pee on the stick.” Brax rubbed her arm, talking softly.

“I got my period this morning.” Charlie said, looking up into his eyes, seeing them cloud over.

“Are you sure it’s your period?” Brax questioned. “Maybe it’s just dotting.”

“What?” Charlie screwed her face up.

“You know, dotting,” Brax scrunched his nose. “That bleeding women can get during pregnancy.”

“You mean spotting,” Charlie corrected. “And I think I know the difference between spotting and my period,” Charlie told him, it now her turn to rub his arm. “It’s not happened this month. Sorry.” Charlie saw the disappointment wash over Brax’s face and felt sad for him.

“Are you really?” Brax mumbled. Seeing Charlie didn’t looked fazed at not being pregnant.

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“Well you just don’t look disappointed, that’s all.” Brax sighed as he looked her up and down.

“We’ve not even been trying a month yet,” Charlie raised her voice a little. “It’ll happen, Brax,” Charlie rubbed her hand over his chest. “Sometimes it can just take a while. Not that we’re remotely close to have been trying for a while yet.” Charlie mumbled.

“Maybe it’ll happen when you stop being so negative about the idea.” Brax retorted.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Charlie questioned. “I’m not even being negative. I -”

Brax sniggered. “You roll your eyes when I talk about a baby and you always say ‘I’m not pregnant yet’,” Brax mocked Charlie’s voice. “So maybe if you had a more positive mind, well, you know what they say. Positive thinking equals....” Brax trailed off as he pointed to Charlie’s stomach.

“Brax,” Charlie sighed. “You are being silly. I -”

“I’m going to make a start to Kobe’s room.” Brax muttered walking out of the en-suite, shaking his head in amusement at Georgia who was still jumping on the bed. Charlie glanced down to the pregnancy test, her lips pursing before throwing it into the cupboard under the sink. She picked the wash basket up and walked out of the bathroom, making her way over to the bedroom door.

“C’mon honeybee,” Charlie gestured for Georgia to join her. “Come help mummy with the washing.” Charlie said, Georgia jumping down from the bed and running over to her mother, following after her to go down to the laundry room.

sixty-nine

“Mummy.” Finn bounded into the room, leaping up and clinging onto his mother.

“Hey bud,” April squeezed her son tight, in good need of a hug. “I hope you’ve been a good boy for Aunty Bee?” April put Finn, Finn nodding his head as he took April’s hand and swung it a little in his.

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded his head. “I dress all by self.” Finn patted his chest proudly.

“Good job bud,” April ruffled his hair. He was wearing green shorts, an orange t-shirt with a monkey’s face on the front with writing that read ‘Cheeky Monkey’ and his red Crocs where on his feet. “Colourful choice eh.” April said and Finn nodded as he gave his mother a grin.

“Is Leo coming home now?” Finn questioned standing up on his tiptoes, his hands on the edge of the cot as he tried to look at his baby brother.

“Not yet.” April shook her head as she looked to Bianca. Bianca stepped forward and pulled her sister into a hug.

“He’ll be alright,” Bianca softly kissed the crook of her neck as she rubbed her back. “I thought you might like to freshen up so I brought you a change of clothes,” Bianca told her as they stayed in the hug a little longer, Bianca seeing her sister really needed the comfort and feeling of support. “Is Jay here?” April had told Bianca about Jay’s disappearing act when she’d called the night before to ask if it was okay for her to stay all night with Finn so she could be with Leo. He’d never appeared back at the house but Bianca thought maybe after a chance to take the news in that he’d be back at the hospital to be there for April and their son.

April shook her head as she pulled back from the hug. “I guess my fresh clothes are in here?” April took the bag from her sister’s shoulder, her lips pursing. “I’ll go freshen up then,” April cleared her throat. “I’ll call Olive. Let her know what’s wrong.”

“Can always ask her if she’s heard from James.” Bianca suggested. April sucked in her bottom lip as she glanced at the boys before looking back to her sister.

“I won’t be long,” April said, Bianca seeing April was clearly avoiding the topic of her fiancés whereabouts. April was angry and she had every right to be, Bianca knew this, but avoiding trying to get in touch with him would only make things worse in the long run. April left the room, walking down to the toilets that weren’t that far away. She went into the cubical and removed her clothes, taking the fresh ones out from the bag. She put on her clean underwear before putting the dress over her head. A simple summery dress, the skirt part being dark blue as from her hip area upwards it was white with dark blue stripes. She patted it down before stuffing her other clothes into the bag and walking out of the cubical. She threw the bag to the floor and turned on the tap, cupping her hands underneath. She splashed her face a few times, already feeling better after a change of clothes and a quick splash up. Glancing up at herself in the mirror, she saw the blue topaz pendant Jay had given her after Leo’s birth hanging down from her neck. Gripping it with her hand she sighed, her head shaking as she wondered how James could just leave like that. “Selfish bastard.” April muttered before she picked up her phone and scrolled to Olive’s name, giving her a call. She took a deep breath, hoping that Olive would actually know of James’ whereabouts.

Ruby hung up the phone before throwing it down to the bedside table and turning back round to face Evan. From the gist of Ruby’s end of the conversation, he knew something was wrong with one of April’s kids but he wasn’t sure which one or what it was. “Well are you going to tell me what it is?” Evan wondered.

“That was Bianca,” Ruby started, clearing her throat a little. “She called me from the hospital. It’s Leo,” Ruby said. “He uhm....” She rubbed her forehead. “He’s got pneumonia.” Ruby exhaled and widened his eyes.

“Poor mite,” Evan said. “April and Jay will be beside themselves with worry.”

“Well April is,” Ruby exhaled. “Bianca’s with her at the hospital right now and Olive is on her way but James left the hospital last night when he found out it could possibly be pneumonia and April or no-one else has heard from his since.”

“He what?” Evan raised his voice. “How the hell could he do that?”

“I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. “Well I know he hates hospitals and that his mum died of pneumonia so it’s probably worrying him even more but....” Ruby trailed off, shaking her head. “He needs to put Leo and April’s feelings before his own right now. He needs to be there for them.”

“Think I should give him a call?” Evan questioned, rubbing the back of his head as he wondered if that would be a good idea or not.

“Well someone needs to get through to him,” Ruby said. “Honestly I love Jay. I think he’s a great guy and April’s really lucked out in finding him but this is just a really silly thing to do. Your brand new baby son has pneumonia so you run off because you can’t handle it?” Ruby shook her head.

“Well we really need to find out from Jay why he’s gone walkabout.” Evan said, picking his phone up from the bedside table and scrolling to his name.

“We need to get dressed too,” Ruby exhaled, getting out of the bed. Her and Evan we supposed to be having an ‘in bed all day’ day but of course now, she felt they couldn’t. Not when her best friend’s son was sick and her fiancé was walkabout. She knew they needed to show support, maybe offer to look after Finn so she could put all her focus on being with Leo at the hospital. “You got Jay?” Ruby questioned, looking round to her boyfriend.

Evan shook his head. “It’s just ringing out.”

“Keep trying.” Ruby sighed as she reached for her clothes, hoping for April and Leo’s sake that James would return, or at least answer someone’s calls soon.

Brax had spent his day with the boys in the bedroom, getting it decorated for Kobe. When Charlie came home with Georgia from their shopping she’d made an immediate start on dinner. During dinner the boys kept the conversation going with talk on painting the room and how excited they were to be part of making the room nice for Kobe. Brax did the bath and bedtime routine with the kids then watched a footy game on the TV as Charlie looked online at possible gifts to add to the collection they’d already got the kids for Christmas, but she needed to get a little extra stocking fillers to finish off their presents. Charlie yawned as she walked out of the bedroom and over to the bed, pulling the sheet back and getting into it. She rearranged her pillows before she lay down, turning her head to look at Brax. “You know they say that you aren’t supposed to go to bed on an argument,” Charlie murmured, it being one of the first things they’d said to each other since their fight that afternoon. They’d spoken to each other a little, but only in conversations with the kids, Charlie and Brax of course not about to bring their argument to the surface when the kids were in earshot. Charlie exhaled as she continued to stare in Brax’s direction, her lips pursing as silence filled the room. “I know you are awake.” Charlie said as she reached out and nudged his upper arm.

Brax sighed as he sat up, leaning to the side to switch on the sidelight, bringing a little light into the darkened bedroom. “Pretty sure we’ve been to bed on arguments before.” Brax muttered.

“Brax.” Charlie sighed as she sat up and turned to face him.

Brax pursed his lips, his right hand thumb and index finger rolling his wedding band around his finger. “Do you even want a baby?” Brax said, turning his head to glare at his wife.

“Yes, I -” Charlie started to talk but Brax cut her off.

“Because it doesn’t feel like it and lying about it isn’t clever and it’s also not the best way to start a marriage,” Brax sounded angry. “We are going into this with you lying already.”

“I’m not lying,” Charlie raised her voice a little. “I....I’m scared, okay?” Charlie told him, immediately feeling light a weight had been lifted from her shoulders at telling her husband the truth.

“Of being pregnant again?” Brax scrunched his face.

“Of getting pregnant, being all excited just like last time then.....” Charlie shook her head. “Well we have no babies to show for that pregnancy, do we?” Charlie pulled at the loose thread on the sheet, to distract herself a little.

“Babe,” Brax exhaled softly, glancing empathetically at his wife. “You can’t let a passed miscarriage put you off having another child.”

“Easier said than done,” Charlie retorted, her head bowing. “I want to have a baby, Brax; I promised you we could have another and I....I want to keep that promise but it’s just hard to get excited when we’ve been through a loss before. The worry is going to be there, more so now because it’s already happened the once.”

“But you.....” Brax trailed off. “Do you want a baby only because you promised me we could try again or do you want a baby because it’s what you want?” Brax questioned. “Not what I want,” Brax hit his chest. “You.” Brax pointed to his wife.

“I do,” Charlie told him. “Seeing little Leo yesterday really my uterus do something weird,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “I genuinely am just a little terrified at what could go wrong again.”

Brax exhaled as he leaned forward and rubbed her cheek softly. “Best thing to do is put all those worries in a little box, lock it up and throw away that key,” Brax told her as he tapped her temple. “Enjoy trying to get pregnant, let yourself be happy when we get that positive result and enjoy being pregnant. The chances of that happening are pretty slim and it’s more likely that within a year we’ll have a darling little cherub here with us, completing our family.”

Charlie gave a little smile, knowing she needed to think like Brax but still finding it easier said than done. “I’ll try my best.” Charlie said and Brax smiled before he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her lips before they lay down to get some sleep.

seventy

April had gone home that night. She didn’t get the best sleep in the hospital and even though she wanted to be with Leo, she knew that Finn needed her as well. Bianca, Olive, Ruby and Evan had all offered to take Finn for her, allowing her to be with Leo but April hadn’t accepted the offers, feeling the need to be close to her elder son right now. Finn was sleeping in April and James’ bed, April cuddling into her son as his body radiated heat, like he was her very own personal hot water bottle. Jumpy the wallaby teddy was being held in his arms as she gently stroked the top of his head. April was startled as she heard the floor board creak from the hallway. She slowly got out of the bed to not wake her son and made her way to the door. “Hey.” James looked at her rather sheepishly as he reached for the light to the bedroom.

April slapped his hand away from the switch before pushing him out into the hall. “Finn is asleep in there.” April told him.

“Sorry.” James spoke quietly, not making direct eye contact with April.

“For what?” April seethed. “For almost waking Finn or for being a selfish thoughtless bastard?” April spat.

“Both, I guess.” James bowed his head.

“You guess?” April widened her eyes, shaking her head in disgust at him.

“How is he?” James asked. “Leo. Is he...does he have?” James paused, taking a deep breath.

“You’d know if you stayed and listened,” April told him, her arms folding across her chest as she felt her eyes stinging with tears that wanted to fall. “But instead you run off like some inconsiderate jerk.”

“Look hun, I’m sorry.” James stepped forward and tried to rub her arm in comfort but April shrugged him away and took a step back.

“Sorry?” April seethed. “You left, Jay,” April raised her voice as her eyes looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets. “You didn’t even wait to hear what was wrong with your son. You just...you left.”

“I panicked,” James sounded like he was welling up. “I heard the word pneumonia and I....my mum’s battle with it came into my mind and I....I couldn’t cope if I lost Leo to that too and I....”

“That’s irrelevant,” April yelled. “You have to be strong. You have to be.....I needed you there. Leo needed you there. You’re baby son. He’s only two weeks old and already you’ve abandoned him and I’m not letting it happen again, I’m not,” April yelled, all her emotions getting out. “You’re not going to be another Xavier. I thought.....I.....” April stopped talking, needed a moment to compose herself. James knew she had every right to be angry with him. He’d done an awful thing.

“I’m not Xavier. I’d never abandon my son. My sons,” James corrected his mistake. “I love those boys more than anything and you too. I do, and I’m here now, I promise I’m here and I’ll be strong and support you through anything and everything.” James once again tried to comfort April but she batted him away.

“He has pneumonia by the way,” April wiped a tear that was rolling down her cheek. “He’s in the hospital.”

“April,” James felt his heart breaking. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you both. But I’m back and I’m here now.”

“Yeah over 24 hours later,” April spat. “What the hell were you doing?” April questioned. “Leaving for an hour or two because you were in shock, maybe, okay that’s fine but surely then the thought that your fiancé and son need you, the need to know what was actually wrong with your son would hit and you’d come back, but you....you were gone over a day, Jay. What the hell?”

“I was just....” James shrugged. “I -”

“Mummy.” Finn appeared at the door, rubbing his tired eyes.

April looked down to her son before she lifted him up into her arms, Finn resting his head against her shoulder. “Sleep in one of the guest rooms.” April spat before walking back into the bedroom, the door slamming shut, James knowing he’d screwed up big time.

Ruby and Finn walked into the house, walking to the living room, where she saw her mother playing a game of hungry hippos with Kobe and a little fair-haired boy she’d never seen before. “Hey.” Ruby smiled as Charlie looked up to her.

“Hey,” Charlie stood up and walked over to her daughter. “Alright Finn?” Charlie ruffled the boy’s hair as he nodded in response. “Why don’t you go play with Kobe and Eli?” Charlie questioned. Finn looked over to them before he ran off to play. “How’s Leo?”

Ruby gave a little shrug. “He seems to be responding well but he’s still got more meds to take,” Ruby told her. “But things were kinda awkward at the hospital with April and James so I said I’d take Finn out for a bit. He wants to swim so I thought I’d just bring him to the pool here,” Charlie gave a little nod as her daughter’s response. “That a friend of Kobe’s?” Ruby questioned, glancing over at Eli.

“No.” Charlie shook her head.

“So you’ve got another foster kid?” Ruby scrunched her face a little as Charlie nodded.

“He’s only here for a couple of days,” Charlie answered, watching as Eli took his turn in the game. “His mum is going into the hospital for surgery and there was no one else to look after him.”

“Seriously?” Ruby sounded surprised. “She has no more family or friends that could help out?”

“Obviously not,” Charlie shrugged. “But he’s pretty quiet so I’m sure he’ll be no bother.”

“So what did they just randomly spring him on you or something?” Ruby questioned. “You just got back from your honeymoon 2 days ago and you never mentioned him last night. When did this get sorted?”

“They called this morning,” Charlie said. “Reckon he’ll be here till Wednesday.” Charlie exhaled, it being Monday morning now so only a couple of days were needed to find a place for him.

“Well cool then. I guess,” Ruby exhaled before looking over at the boys. “You two want to come out with me and Finn and go swimming?”

“Oh yes,” Kobe jumped up. “C’mon Eli. Let’s swim.”

“No,” Eli’s tone surprised Charlie. “We are playing this.” Eli banged his hand against the table.

“But we will swim.” Finn said, pulling on his arm to get him to stand up.

“No.” Eli shrieked. “Charlie, I wanna finish the game.” Eli sounded very demanding as he hit his hand off the table again. Charlie glanced a Ruby, thinking that maybe looking after Eli was going to be harder than she first though.

Kaya grabbed the DVD from the cabinet and ran over to the couch, handing it to Heath. “It’s my favourite ever,” Kaya told him. “You’ll love it.” Kaya beamed as she put her hands onto Heath’s arm. Heath glanced down at the DVD box and read the title out loud. “Frozen,” Heath exhaled. “So what’s this about?”

Kaya gasped as she widened her eyes in shock. “You mean you don’t know?” Kaya questioned.

“Nah,” Heath shrugged. “Should I?”

“Heath,” Kaya scolded. “It’s Frozen. It’s the best film ever.”

“Right,” Heath scratched the back of his head. “Well that’s fair enough cupcake but it still doesn’t answer my question on what it’s about.”

“Elsa is a princess and she can magic snow from her powers,” Kaya told him, climbing up onto the couch as Heath put the DVD into the machine. “Anna is her sister but she doesn’t have powers. Elsa runs away and Anna goes to find her and she meets a snowman called Olaf. He’s the best.”

“Sounds awesome.” Heath muttered, his eyebrows raising.

“Watch it and you will see it is,” Kaya clapped her hands, excited as the movie started up. “But you need to get the popcorn and juice first. I want a sprite.” Kaya demanded as she pointed towards the kitchen.

“Little miss bossy you.” Heath ruffled Kaya’s hair before walking through to the kitchen.

“I will pause it till you are ready.” Kaya shouted through as Heath put the popcorn into the microwave to pop.

“You don’t need to do that,” Heath told her. “I’m sure I’ll get the story fine.”

“No, you need to see all of it,” Kaya told him, shaking her head at his stupidity. Heath mumbled something from the kitchen but Kaya couldn’t hear what he was saying. She looked up as the door opened and Bianca walked into the house. “Oh mummy you are just in time.”

“For what?” Bianca questioned as she walked back into the house.

“Frozen,” Kaya pointed to the TV. “Heath is making popcorn.” Kaya told her as Bianca walked over and sat down on the couch next to her daughter.

“Oh goody we are back on the Frozen obsession,” Bianca murmured as she ran her hand through Kaya’s ponytail. “And Kaya really?” Bianca questioned. “It’s a gorgeous day out. Don’t you want to go play outside?”

“I will after Frozen.” Kaya sighed, as if being allowed the freedom of going out to play was too much to take.

“Hey how’s the little one?” Heath questioned as leaned against the archway which split the kitchen and living room, Bianca having been at the hospital for a little while.

“He’s doing good.” Bianca smiled.

“Good,” Heath exhaled. “So, she wants a sprite. Is she allowed one?”

“Mmm,” Bianca gave a little nod. “Can you make me a coffee please?” Bianca wondered. “Oh and bring me some of those ginger snap biscuits.” Bianca told him.

“Sure.” Heath exhaled.

“Can I have some chocolate too?” Kaya wondered. “There’s some in the cupboard.”

“Oh why not,” Bianca replied. “Babe, get the chocolate too when you are bringing the popcorn, coffee, sprite and biscuits.” Bianca ordered.

“Oh yeah you two girls sit there and order me about me.” Heath joked.

“Of course baby,” Bianca gave him a cheeky grin. “It’s what you are here for.” Bianca teased and Heath gave a little laugh before shaking his head and walking back into the kitchen.

Archived