Forever and Always

Thank you. :)

forty-one

Charlie and Brax walked back into the house, kissing as they made their way up the stairs. “Mmm,” Charlie pulled back from the kiss. “Just let me check on Georgia,” Charlie whispered, Brax giving a little nod as he kept hold of her hand, following behind her to go to their daughters’ room. “Aww,” Charlie put her hand on her chest as she looked back to Brax. Heath was laying on the bed next to Georgia, cuddling her into him, Heath fast asleep on the girl’s bed. “How cute is that scene?” Charlie whispered, not wanting to wake either of them.

“Big softy,” Brax stifled a laugh as Charlie walked into the room, moving the bed covers up as they were falling off the bed, and more importantly, falling off both Georgia and Heath. “Wake him up.” Brax walked into the room.

“Aww don’t,” Charlie stopped Brax from nudging his brother awake. “He looks so peaceful. Leave him be.”

“Well trouble also looks peaceful so I say we go back to kissing.” Brax gave a cheeky grin as he pulled Charlie in for a kiss.

“Mmm.” Charlie pulled back again. She glanced at the scene between Heath and Georgia one more time before turning the night light off, taking Brax’s hand and walking out of the bedroom and down the hall. She quickly poked her head into Daniel’s room, seeing he was also sound asleep before turning to face Brax, his lips instantly smacking against hers.

“So you want to check on your 20 year old too?” Brax cocked his head to the side as they stood in the hall.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head. “We can go to our room.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she gave him a seductive smile, leaning him across the hall and into their bedroom.

“So,” April looked to her friend with raised eyebrows. She’d met her in the canteen at the university, Ruby and April meeting at lunch time. “Facebook tells me you are in a relationship with Evan Butler.” April opened up her tupperware box, taking out the juice box and putting the straw through the hole, taking a drink of the apple mango mix.

“Yeah,” Ruby took a bite of her sandwich. “We went official yesterday.” Ruby said, April seeing the big smile etching on her face.

“Wish I could say we should double date sometime but James really isn’t making the effort to get to know Evan,” April exhaled sadly, wishing James would be more open at getting to know his brother. “Maybe in time.” April gave a little shrug.

“Evan really wants to get to know him,” Ruby said, finding it a little sad that James point blank refused to have anything to do with his brother. “But I guess you can’t force him.”

“I’ve tried a few times but he always tells me its none of my business.” April sounded saddened as she took her sandwich from her sandwich bag.

“It is in a way,” Ruby bit her lip. “Like, you are going to be his wife. Evan will be your brother-in-law. He’s your family too.”

“Not sure Jay sees it like that,” April answered. “I...” April shrugged. “Well he’s a grown man so I can’t tell him what to do,” April said before taking a bite of her sandwich. “Anyways, that’s great about you and Evan. He’s really sweet with you.”

“Yeah he’s great,” Ruby smiled. “So anyways, how did the scan go yesterday? Please tell me you brought Auntie Ruby the scan picture to see.”

“I didn’t bring it to school with me,” April shook her head. “Besides I had trouble getting it back from Finn. He practically clutched onto it from the time we told him till he was in bed.” April gave a little laugh.

“Well at least he’s pleased about the new addition.” Ruby murmured and April gave a little nod.

“I have a picture of the scan on my phone though.” April took her iPhone from her pocket and showed Ruby her background.

“Don’t actually know what the big deal in looking at these actually are to be honest,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “Can’t really see much but there’s just something that makes me aww,” Ruby looked back to her friend. “I mean, that’s your bubba,” Ruby gushed. “You know for sure when you are due now?”

“25th December,” April told her friend. “But I don’t want to be in hospital then so hold off a couple of days, deal little peanut?” April spoke down as she rubbed her stomach.

“Little peanut,” Ruby cooed. “You finding out the sex?”

“Uh-uh,” April shook her head. “Well, I’d actually like to know because I still have heaps of Finn’s baby stuff and we wouldn’t need to buy as much if it was another boy,” April told her friend. “But Jay wants it to be a surprise.”

“Well I think a surprise is nice,” Ruby said. “You have that little moment of wonder after you’ve given birth. You get to look and see for yourself without already knowing what’s coming.”

“I guess,” April answered. “And Jay probably won’t settle for hand-me-down’s anyways,” April paused to take a drink. “He already wants to go shopping for clothes, the nursery furniture, a pram, car seat...” April trailed off. “Everything really,” April said. “And he’s already taken the furniture out of the guest room,” April shook her head. “I know he’s excited but I don’t want to get everything ready to soon.”

“Yeah,” Ruby bit her lip. “So he wants to start the nursery in the apartment?” Ruby questioned. “I thought now you had millions you’d get a mansion?” Ruby gave a little chuckle as she opened her yoghurt.

“It wasn’t millions,” April exhaled. “And I don’t know. I mean I guess we did talk about moving but,” April gave a little shrug. “I guess we’ll see what happens. Maybe I don’t need the stress of moving house right now.”

“And anyways you have a lovely apartment,” Ruby told her friend. “Little on the small side for a growing family but it’s your home and the view you get over the harbour is gorgeous.”

“Mmm yeah I would miss that view,” April pursed her lips. “But like I said, we’ve not really discussed it any further and I’ve enough on my plate right now anyways.” April said, her hand once again rubbing over her little baby bump.

Brax was with the kids in the swimming pool as Charlie was sitting over the edge, just dipping her legs into the water. She was watching as Brax threw the kids away in the pool the kids delighted as they flew through the air before splashing into the water. “Mum,” Daniel swam over to her. “Is Kobe coming to play today?” Daniel wondered.

“Not today sweetie,” Charlie answered as she looked down to Daniel who was now next to her, his hands holding onto the side of the pool, keeping himself afloat. “But hopefully soon he will be here with us forever. That sounds good, huh?” Charlie ruffled his hair, it sticking up as it was wet.

“Well yes,” Daniel said. “I like Kobe and think he’s fun to play with but I wish he’d talk to me,” Daniel bowed his head a little. “Am I not nice with him or something?”

“You are great with him,” Charlie rubbed his cheek as she lifted his face back up to face her. “But Kobe hasn’t had the best start in life and the other families he’s lived with, well; some of them haven’t been a very nice place for little boys to stay so Kobe gets scared around new people.”

“But I’ll always be nice to him.” Daniel’s voice went a little squeaky.

“I know that,” Charlie gave him a smile. “But Kobe just needs more time to figure that out,” Charlie told him. “Give him a few months of living here permanently and you’ll be the best of friends.” Charlie said, Daniel smiling, liking the sound of what his mother was saying.

“Okay. Cool.” Daniel said before going under the water and swimming off over to Brax and Georgia, pulling at Georgia’s legs, resulting in her squealing before giggling hysterically as her brother surfaced. Charlie smiled at her kids and Brax having fun before looking around to the table as her phone started ringing. She stood up and walked over, answering the phone.

“Tanya, hey,” Charlie sounded nervous as she looked around, Brax moving closer to the edge of the pool as he heard it was Tanya. “Yep. Uh-huh...” Charlie nodded her head as she listened to what Tanya was saying. “Yes,” Charlie widened her eyes, her face looking excited. “Uh-huh,” Charlie nodded. “Thank you so much that’s fantastic.” Charlie beamed as she looked to Brax; Brax smiling as he got out of the water and walked over to Charlie as she did a few jumps for joy as she hung up the phone. Brax grinned as he pulled her into a hug, knowing by Charlie’s reaction that Kobe was coming to live with them.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you.

forty-two

“So, a cliff top wedding, a beach wedding or the traditional church wedding?” Ruby said, throwing all the bridal magazines down in the middle of the couch as she sat down.

“Well given who my fiancé is I think the location is pretty obvious.” Charlie answered, picking up the first magazine and opening it as she sat it on her lap.

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “Brax is totally a church going man.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “There’s nothing wrong with going to church,” Charlie said. “But we need to get married on the beach,” Charlie smiled, an image of her and Brax sharing their first kiss as husband and wife popping into her mind. “Although you’ll need to keep Georgia under control as she’ll probably run down to the water.”

Ruby laughed, the image of Georgia running down to the water during the wedding in her mind. “I’ll keep her in line,” Ruby said, glancing down at the magazine and opening it up. “So, we’ve got the beach as our location,” Ruby exhaled. “And you already have your dress so we are getting there already,” Ruby grinned up at her mother. “What about flower arrangements?”

“Hmmm,” Charlie pursed her lips. “Roses,” Charlie gave a little nod. “I’ll have red roses,” Charlie said. “The girls will have little baskets where they throw rose petals as they walk along the sand and Leah and Bianca will have roses too.” Charlie grinned, confident with her decisions.

“Just Leah and Bianca, huh?” Ruby raised her eyebrows, giving her mother a little nudge.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Two bridesmaids is enough right?”

“So let me get this right,” Ruby threw the magazine down to the floor. “Bianca and Leah are the bridesmaids, Georgia, Poppy and Kaya are flower girls and Daniel and VJ are the pageboys,” Ruby said, Charlie giving a little nod in reply. “So what, everyone gets to be in the wedding but me?” Ruby questioned. “What, so I just get to help plan it?” Ruby raised her voice as she stood up from the couch.

“No Rubes I -” Charlie stared to talk but Ruby spoke over her.

“Well just ask your bridesmaids to help plan from now on.” Ruby seethed as she made her way out of the living room, looking very angry and upset.

“No Ruby I want you to....” Charlie trailed off as Ruby disappeared out of the room, thumping up the stairs as she walked away from her mother.

“So,” James put the paper down in front of April. “6 Bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, 2 living areas, a large country kitchen, games room, conservatory, double garage and large driveway, 2 whole acres of garden for the kids to run riot in plus a swimming pool.” James said, looking to April for a reaction.

“Have you been speaking to Ruby today?” April questioned, thinking it was strange James had randomly showed her the house after having had a conversation about moving to Ruby earlier that day.

“Nah,” James looked a little confused. “Why?”

“Never mind,” April shook her head. “Uhm, it’s a lovely looking house,” April said, looking at the pictures. “But it sounds like a lot of cleaning.”

James stifled a laugh. “Well when you are off being a live saving doctor I am going to be the stay-at-home dad, so, it’s a lot of cleaning for me,” James said. “So what do you think?” James questioned. “Imagine little dude and peanut running around the garden. Imagine us having a cheeky midnight dip in the pool not to mention all the rooms that would need christened.” James moved closer to April on the couch, his hand rubbing her inner thigh.

“It’s very big,” April said. “Do we really need 6 bedrooms?”

“Well we want a few kids together and it’s always good to have a guest room or two,” James said. “For visitors.”

“And who is going to visit us exactly?” April questioned. “Everyone we know already lives here,” April said. “Except from my parents but I don’t think there’s any chance of them coming to see me, so...” April gave a shrug.

“We could always invite them,” James said. “I could get to know my future in-laws; they could meet their grandkids.....”

“Firstly,” April turned herself on the couch a little, facing James. “My parents are divorced for a reason and they don’t talk to each other so inviting them both would be a no-no, secondly, mum knows about both Kaya and Finn already and hasn’t even sent a birthday card let alone showed any interest in coming to meet them, and thirdly, why the hell do you think I’d want either of my parents here?” April said. “You know how I feel about them both abandoning me.”

“Well,” James rubbed the back of his head. “They are family. Maybe it’s time to build bridges.”

“Don’t talk to me about building bridges,” April scoffed. “You also need to build a bridge.”

James scrunched his face up. “Who do I have to....” James trailed off. “Ah Evan,” James exhaled. “Well that’s a bit different because I’ve never known him so don’t really have -”

“It’s time you stopped being mad at him for your dad walking out on you,” April spat. “He’s not your dad. He’s your brother and all he wants to do is get to know you,” April said. “You always used to tell me how you wanted a sibling and how you loved how Bianca and I were so close,” April raised her voice. “So stop with whatever this is and get to know your brother.” April stood up from the couch and walked down the hall, leaving her fiancé sitting alone to think about what she’d said.

Charlie walked back into the living room from reading Daniel a bedtime story. “Tomorrow night we are going to have one more child to tuck into bed,” Charlie grinned as she sat down on the couch close to her fiancé. “I can’t wait.”

Brax smiled upon seeing how happy Charlie was that she was getting to care for Kobe. “He’s a very lucky little boy to have you.” Brax moved closer to Charlie and wrapped his arm around her, rubbing her arm.

“And you,” Charlie looked round to her fiancé. “You are going to be the best father he could ever ask for,” Charlie said, Brax giving a weak smile in return. Of course he was happy Kobe was going to come and live with them, but more so because it was something that Charlie really wanted. She had a special connection with the boy, anyone could see that when they would interact with each other but he was worried he wasn’t going to be able to connect with him, Kobe very standoffish with Brax any time he was around him.

“Well I will try my best,” Brax said before placing a soft kiss on the side of Charlie’s head. “So you sorted things with Ruby then?” Brax questioned.

“She wouldn’t listen,” Charlie sighed. “I tried to tell her what I wanted but she left to go see Evan.”

“And what is it that you want?” Brax questioned as he lightly rubbed her arm. “Seems like Leah and Bianca are going to be the only bridesmaids and she’s a bit old to be a flower girl and too much of a girl to be a pageboy?”

Charlie gave a little laugh before sitting up and turned on the couch to face Brax. “Well I....” Charlie pursed her lips. “I was thinking because both mum and dad are dead and obviously aren’t going to be there to give me away that she could....” Charlie rolled her engagement ring around her finger. “I wanted Rubes to give me away.” Charlie spoke quietly, a smile etching on Brax’s face as he heard the words from Charlie.

“That’s really sweet.” Brax rubbed Charlie’s cheek.

“Well that’s what I thought,” Charlie exhaled. “And I wanted to find the perfect moment to ask her but now she’s...” Charlie shook her head.

“When she gets home just talk with her, let her know you’re plans,” Brax said. “I’m sure she’d be honoured to give you away to me.”

“Well I don’t know,” Charlie teased. “You are a shady character. She might not.”

“Then what would you do?” Brax questioned.

“Well if Rubes said you had to go, you know, you’re just going to have to go.” Charlie said with a cheeky grin on her face.

“Mmm. I’m sure you’d be fine with that, right enough.” Brax mumbled before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips, Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other, the kiss intensifying as they stayed in the embrace on the couch.

Thank you.

forty-three

James walked into the bedroom, seeing April in only her underwear. “Sorry.” James said.

“What for?” April questioned, looking down to herself. “You’ve seen me in my underwear plenty. In fact you’ve seen me in nothing plenty.”

“I’m not apologising for that,” James laughed as he sat down on the bed, hitting his hands off his knees. April walked across and sat down on his knee, James hands resting on her tiny bump. “About...you’re right about Evan,” James exhaled. “I need....I have been blaming him for Derek walking out on me and mum,” James said. “Deep down I knew it wasn’t his fault but I....he was here and....I, I had to blame someone.”

“Well it’s not too late to start afresh.” April told him, tucking his hair behind his ear.

“You think not?” James questioned. “Haven’t exactly welcomed him to the bay, have I?”

“Well no but I think he’s had a nice welcome from Ruby,” April stifled a laugh. “And you can put that behind you and get to know him now.” April gave a little smile as she lightly grazed his cheek with her thumb.

“If I’ve not left it too late.” James mumbled.

“I don’t think you have,” April said. “He’s still here in the bay, isn’t he?” April questioned and James gave a little nod. “So, I’m sure if he knows that you are keen to chat he’ll meet you.”

“I don’t know if I’d want to get to know me now,” James exhaled. “I’ve not exactly been welcoming, have I but I....well, like I said its Derek I am mad at not Evan. It’s not his fault he got a father when I didn’t.”

“No it’s not,” April exhaled. “And if he is a good guy and really wants to get to know you then all the past will be just that. It’ll stay in the past and you two can form a bond staring from now.”

“Uhm....you can get me his number right?” James questioned. “I can give him a text.”

“Mmm,” April gave a little nod. “I’ll text Rubes for it later.” April told him.

“Thanks,” James placed a kiss on the side of April’s head. “So, what you doing parading around the room half naked?” James questioned, his hand still rubbing over her little bump.

“I was going to go for a shower.” April answered.

“Hmm well how about we change this shower for a bath and I can join you?” James questioned, his one hand remaining on her bump as his other moved around her body and started rubbing the small of her back. “Hmmm.” James raised his eyebrows as he placed another kiss on the side of her head.

“On you go and run it then.” April said, getting up from his knee and gesturing for James to leave the bedroom to go run them a bath.

Charlie took a deep breath before she knocked on the door of her bedroom. “Yeah?” Ruby answered, Charlie opening the door. “Oh mum.”

“Who else would it have been at this hour?” Charlie questioned, walking into the room as Ruby shrugged in response.

“I dunno but I was about to go to bed so....” Ruby gave a little shrug, Charlie seeing she was still angry at her.

“This won’t take long,” Charlie told her, walking over to her daughter and taking her hand, walking her over to the bed where they both sat down. “I don’t know what would make you think I wouldn’t want you in my wedding.” Charlie started.

“Well you have your bridesmaids and I’m not one of them,” Ruby answered. “I can’t be a pageboy and you don’t see many 20 year old flower girls so....” Ruby shrugged. “What exactly is left?”

“Probably the most important task after the bride and groom of course,” Charlie answered. “At least in my eyes this is. That’s why I want to ask you.”

“What is it then?” Ruby scrunched her face up, not able to think of anything it could be.

“I want you to give me away,” Charlie said, a smile etching on her face as she spoke. Ruby widened her eyes, her mouth opening but no words coming out. “What do you say?” Charlie questioned, nudging her daughters arm.

“I....” Ruby nodded her head. “Yeah yeah. Of course,” Ruby answered before flinging herself forward and giving her mother a hug. “And you sure you want me though?” Ruby said, pulling back from the hug.

“Who else would I want?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little shrug. “And hey, this means you get to set Brax straight too. Let him know what will happen if he was to ever hurt me.”

“I think he already knows what I would do to him,” Ruby laughed. “But I’m sorry for flying off like that before. I should have known you’d have me in your wedding.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Charlie rubbed the back of her daughters head. “So, do I have my wedding planner back?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little nod before she once again hugged her mother.

“So the nursery is my domain, right?” James questioned as they walked into the shopping mall, Finn – who was dresses as a pirate – was running around in front of them.

“Huh?” April glanced at James before her eyes went back onto her son, making sure he didn’t go too far ahead.

“The nursery for peanut,” James said. “It’s up to me to decorate, yeah?”

“Oh. Oh yeah fine.” April answered, knowing James would want to feel as much a part of this pregnancy as he could.

“Awesome because I already have a theme in mind,” James grinned. “You’ll help, right little dude?” James questioned, Finn stopping running around and looking up to James.

“Help what?” Finn questioned, straightening up the pirate hat that was on his head.

“Painting the baby’s room.” James answered.

“Oh yes,” Finn looked excited as he jumped in the air. “We do it now?” Finn questioned.

“Not right away,” April answered. “In a few more months.”

“Oh.” Both Finn and James looked a little saddened.

“We don’t want to start doing everything to early,” April exhaled. “You’re lucky I agreed to come baby shopping today,” April said, James having pleaded with her to start getting some things for the baby. “And don’t go overboard. There’s still heaps of Finn’s baby stuff in the garage at Bianca’s.”

“Hun,” James put his hand on April’s arm, stopping April from walking. She looked up to him, James staring down deep into her eyes. “I’ve told you already, peanut isn’t a hand-me-down baby,” James said. “All new clothes for this one.” James grinned as he put his hands onto April’s bump.

“Why?” April questioned. “He only wore some of the stuff a couple times. It would be a shame to waste them. They are cute little clothes.”

“So you’d want to dress a daughter in your son’s old clothes?” James questioned.

“Well no,” April answered. “Obviously just if we have a son.”

“So you want to wait till the baby is born, see what we get, then shop or use Finn’s old clothes?” James wondered.

“No,” April shook her head. “We can wait till I am 20 weeks, get the next scan, see what we are having,” April said. “Then we can do some shopping. Maybe a little less if it’s a boy.”

“No,” James frowned. “You know I don’t want to find out,” James rubbed her bump. “I want a surprise.”

April pursed her lips. She had a surprise with Finn, but this time, she really wanted to find out but knowing James didn’t obviously made it more difficult, although they still had time to come to an agreement on the matter. She gave a little sigh, knowing they still had time to come to an agreement. “Don’t go overboard today then,” April told him. “It’s still pretty early to be buying a lot.”

“Okay,” James grinned before leaning down to kiss her lips. “C’mon little dude,” James shouted for Finn who ran back across to his parents, having been sitting pretending to drive the red car that would move if you put two dollars in. “Let’s go baby shopping.” James said, Finn shrieking in delight at the idea as April followed after them, heading towards one of the baby shops that was in the mall.

Thank you :wub:

forty-four

Charlie, Daniel and Kobe were in Daniel’s room, Charlie putting the suitcase down in the middle of the floor. “So, you’ll share this room with Daniel for a little while,” Charlie said, running her hand through Kobe’s hair. “Once Heath finds a place of his own you’ll get a room all to yourself.” Charlie told him, looking down to Kobe to see his eyes were on the toy box in the corner of the room, three teddies sitting on the top. Daniel looked to Kobe, knowing he was eyeing up a teddy before looking to his mother, then back to Kobe. He walked across to the toy box and looked down to his teddies.

“These are my best 3,” Daniel spoke. “Rocky is the penguin, Theo is the bear and this is my wombat,” Daniel said, picking up the little brown animal. He looked down to it before looking to Charlie then back to Kobe, his eyes clued to the stuffed animal in Daniel’s hands. Daniel took a deep breath before walking back over to Kobe. “You can have him if you’d like,” Daniel said, handing him out for Kobe to take. Kobe stared at it a moment longer before looking up to Charlie then back to Daniel, smiling as he took the wombat in his hands. “I call him Wally wombat but you can call him whatever you want.”

“Wally,” Kobe whispered as he hugged the wombat close before looking up to Charlie. “Can I take him?” Kobe wondered, Charlie finding it heart breaking that he was seeking permission to take the offer of the stuffed animal from her son.

“You sure can.” Charlie told him, Kobe smiling at her before looking back to Daniel.

“Thank you,” Kobe squeaked before looking back to Charlie. “Can I please use the toilet?” Kobe questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “It’s that room just across the hall.” Charlie told him, Kobe walking out of the room, keeping a tight hold of Wally.

“He spoke words to me,” Daniel beamed as he leapt forward to hug his mother. “He did. He said ‘Thank you’ to me,” Daniel sounded pleased at the break through. “He said those real words to me.”

“I know,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed her sons back. “And that was very nice of you to give Wally to him,” Charlie pulled back from the hug and ran her hand over Daniel’s head. “And for letting him come stay in your room. And clearing him out some drawer space.” Charlie said, walking over to Daniel’s chest of drawers and opening the bottom one as Daniel pulled the case over.

“He doesn’t have much clothes, does he?” Daniel questioned, opening the case to see what little Kobe had.

“No he doesn’t.” Charlie answered as she started to put his clothes away, thinking she’d probably need to go buy him a few more things.

“Well he is lucky to be here now eh,” Daniel questioned, helping his mother put away his clothes. “You and dad will be so good to him.”

“Thank you buddy,” Charlie smiled at her son. “But I think he’s going to have lucked out getting you as a big brother.” Charlie nudged her son’s arm and Daniel grinned proudly at his mother’s words as they continued to put away Kobe’s clothes.

James stopped at the entrance of the surf club, seeing him waiting at a table up back. He took a moment to compose himself before taking a deep breath as he walked across to him. “Hey,” Evan was the first to talk as James took a seat opposite him. “How things?”

“Fine.” James answered.

“Busy day?” Evan wondered.

“Works pretty busy yeah,” James exhaled. “No longer an apprentice so I can be left to do more.” James gave a little smile, liking that he had more responsibility now.

“What it is you do for work again?” Evan questioned.

“I’m a mechanic,” James told him. “What about you? What do you do? Or what did you do?” James asked, not sure Evan actually had a job right now.

“I was studying to become a PE teacher,” Evan said. “But after dad died I didn’t go back after our break,” Evan exhaled. “I’m looking into starting again at uni around here though.”

“Northern Districts is a pretty good uni,” James observed. “Well so I have heard. I didn’t go but April studies there. And Rubes so....yeah.” James cleared his throat.

“Yeah Rubes said April wants to be a doctor,” Evan replied. “Must be smart.”

“Sometimes I think she’s too smart for me.” James laughed and Evan felt himself joining in, James finding it a little strange that it didn’t seem awkward around Evan. They were talking like normal brothers already.

“Must be somewhat smart if you pulled her,” Evan said and James stifled a laugh. “So anyways, uhm...if you....if you want to know anything about dad just ask. I’m sure there are lots of stories I can tell you.”

“No,” James answered quickly. “I don’t want to know anything about him. He’s not my dad he’s....he’s just some guy who got my mum pregnant, I....” James took a moment to compose himself, Evan seeing he was starting to look angry.

“Okay I’m sorry,” Evan did feel a little upset that James didn’t seem to care to get to know the man who fathered him even a little. “I just...before he died he told me that his biggest regret was walking out on you. He wished so much he’d stayed a part of your life.”

“Yet he never attempted to come find me,” James said. “If Grams wasn’t around after mum passed, I...I’d have had no-one.”

“I know,” Evan exhaled. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I got to have dad in my life. I just hope that won’t stop us being to bond.”

James gave a little shrug. “We can try,” James exhaled. “I...I...” James stopped talking as he brushed his hand over the edge of the table. “How did he die?”

“Bowel cancer,” Evan answered. “They found it pretty late and nothing could be done. We got a few more months with him.” Evan spoke quietly, obviously still finding it difficult to talk about his father’s death.

“Was he...how old was he?” James questioned.

“47.” Evan answered and James pursed his lips giving a little nod.

“Do uhm,” James paused for a moment. “Are we his only children or does he have any more?”

“Just me and you,” Evan answered. “Mum had trouble getting pregnant,” Evan told him. “Well she got pregnant with me pretty quickly but they tried for a sibling for years with no luck,” Evan gave a little shrug, figuring he must have just been his mum’s lucky one. “She had some tests but they couldn’t figure out why she wasn’t getting pregnant. She looked into adoption but at the last minute the birth mother changed her mind and she didn’t want to face that heart break again so I was the only one.”

James gave a little nod. “But he stuck around with you. Your parents were still together when he died?”

“Yeah,” Evan nodded. “I’m sorry he wasn’t around for you but he.....he was great dad to me.”

“I don’t really want to hear about that,” James said, looking to the pool table. “Let’s go play pool and change the conversation away from him.” James mumbled as he stood up and walked over to the pool table. Evan exhaled before standing up. He may not like James’ negativity towards his dad but he did understand why and wanted more than anything to get to know his brother so could only ignore it for now at least.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were having some dinner. Kobe had brought Wally wombat joining him, being placed on his knee. “That Daniels.” Georgia shrieked as she pointed to the wombat.

“Daniel gave it to Kobe.” Charlie said as she put the bowl of pasta down in front of Brax before sitting down herself, everyone now having been served.

“Oh.” Georgia screwed her face up a little before she picked up her spoon to eat her dinner.

“So,” Brax looked across the table to Kobe. “How about tomorrow we get you out in that pool again?” Brax questioned. “You were getting the hang of this swimming thing last time you were here.”

Kobe looked down shyly, moving Wally a little on his lap. “Kobe,” Charlie said, her hand rubbing his shoulder. “What do you say to going in swimming again?”

“Only with you.” Kobe mumbled as he looked to Charlie. Charlie saw some fear in his eyes, knowing the next few months probably weren’t going to be easy for Brax.

“Well I will be there too,” Charlie said. “Might be nice for you and Brax to go in swimming together though. He’s a much better swimming than me. He’s the best one to show you.”

Kobe shook his head a little. “I don’t want to.” Kobe mumbled.

“Okay,” Charlie pursed her lips, knowing they couldn’t push Kobe too much too soon. “Well maybe we can all go out to the beach or something. Have a picnic.”

“A pickernick.” Georgia cheered, clearly liking the idea.

“Or the park,” Daniel suggested. “Cos then I can skate there.” Daniel said, before he and Georgia gave a little jump, both of them getting startled as Kobe’s glass knocked over, the glass smashing as his orange juice spilt out onto the table. Kobe gasped fearfully as he looked to Brax, Brax seeing the sudden look of terror in his eyes. Kobe jumped down from the table, Wally falling to the floor as he ran to the corner of the room and stood there, facing the wall, his hands being held up in the air. Charlie and Brax exchanged a glanced before Charlie stood up and walked over to Kobe, her hand gently going onto his back. Kobe flinched before looking round to her.

“I’m so clumsy.” Kobe told her.

“Buddy it was just an accident,” Charlie spoke calmly and softly as Brax cleared away the broken glass and moped up the juice. “Brax will get you some more juice and you can come and finish your dinner, okay?” Charlie told him, Kobe looking back to Brax who smiled down at the boy as he put the broken glass into the garbage. Kobe clung onto Charlie as he gave a little nod before they walked back over to the table, Kobe moving his seat closer to Charlie’s before he started eating his dinner.

Forty-five

April yawned as she walked down the hall and into Finn’s bedroom. She found James sitting at the side of his bed, just staring down at Finn as he slept, Finn hugging Snappy the crocodile close to him. “You having trouble getting him to sleep?” April questioned as she walked into the room, leaving the door open so the light from the hall gave some light to the room. James had left a long time ago to put Finn to bed but had never returned through to the living room.

“Nah he fell asleep right away.” James whispered as he ran his hand very gently over the side of his head.

“So you are just watching him sleep?” April questioned, kneeling down on the floor next to James. James gave a little nod as he looked to April.

“I just, I....I could never walk out on him,” James felt himself welling up. “Derek just left me,” James sounded emotional. “Xav refused to be in this little dudes life and he....he makes my life worth it and I...I love him so much.”

“I know you do.” April smiled as she rubbed his upper arm.

“And this one,” James put his hand onto April’s bump. “I couldn’t ever think about not being there for my child but I’m scared I....what if I turn into him?” James questioned.

“I think the fact you’ve treated Finn like your own since day one proves you’d never walk away from your children,” April replied. “You are not your father.”

James pursed his lips, giving a little nod. “You know he was only 47,” James said. “And mum, she was only 31 when she died,” James exhaled, looking nervous. “They were both young and I....I don’t want to miss my kids growing up, graduating, getting married, having kids of their own.” James listed.

“You won’t miss that,” April told him. “You’ll be here for all that.” April said, giving him a smile as she lightly rubbed his cheek.

“They both died young.” James murmured.

“It doesn’t mean to say you are going to as well,” April told him. “You’ll still be here when you are old, grey and wrinkly.” April said, giving a little laugh.

“With an old grey and wrinkly you by side my side?” James questioned.

“Of course,” April mumbled as she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on James’ lips, James smiling into the kiss, letting it deep a little. “Now as cute as it is watching you watching Finn sleep, how about you come back and join me in the living room?” April questioned. “We could watch a movie or something?” April suggested.

“Uhm,” James looked back to Finn, the boy’s eyes fluttering, like he was dreaming. “Yeah yeah just give me another few minutes.” James answered, running his hand over the side of Finn’s head. April looked into James’ eyes and smiled as she saw the love he had for her son come pouring out and April knew that not only was Finn lucky to have James as his father but the baby was going to be very lucky too.

Ruby and Evan were chilling out in the van where Evan was currently staying. “Babe you need to get out of this van.” Ruby said, looking around the small area he had as living space.

“I know,” Evan exhaled. “But I don’t have the money to get my own place.”

“What about the money from your dad?” Ruby questioned.

“Mum gave me some but put most of it away till I turn 21,” Evan said. “She doesn’t want me wasting it.”

“I see,” Ruby gave a little nod. “Makes sense I guess. Give a young guy heaps of money.....yeah I could see a lot of people wasting that.”

“I wouldn’t though,” Evan sighed. “That money is going to get me and my future wife a nice house, a nice car, nice holidays once a year.....stuff the kids need,” Evan said. “I wouldn’t be silly with it.”

“So then maybe just ask your mum for a little more so you can get a proper place to stay here,” Ruby suggested. “I’m sure she’d rather you had a nice place to stay than live in a caravan forever.”

“She’s not best pleased I’m not coming home,” Evan exhaled. “I’m her only child and I’ve moved to another state so,” Evan shrugged. “I don’t think there’s chance of me getting the rest till I am 21 and since I’ve just turned 20 a couple months ago, it’s not for a while.”

“Well hopefully you can find a part-time job soon,” Ruby said. “Now you know you are staying put and are trying to get back into uni a little job on the side would get you some money to get by.”

“Yeah yeah,” Evan nodded. “I guess I do need to start looking into that.”

“Yes, stop being lazy.” Ruby teased.

“I am not lazy,” Evan gasped. “I go surf every day.”

“Well stop being a surf bum and get a job.” Ruby told him.

“Oh so that’s how it’s going to be now you are my girlfriend, is it?” Evan cocked his head to the side. “You are just going to order me around?”

“Mmm pretty much.” Ruby grinned cheekily and Evan gave a little laugh before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips, Ruby smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other.

Charlie took her bra off and threw it into the laundry basket before picking up her sleep t-shirt and putting it on. “She is still not settling,” Brax sighed as he walked into the bedroom. “She’s jumping on her bed.” He'd put Georgia to bed long ago but the girl refused to sleep.

“She’ll tire herself out,” Charlie yawned. “And it’s Saturday tomorrow so it’s not like we need to get her up for anything.” Charlie said, turning to face Brax as he walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pulled her in for a kiss.

“True.” Brax mumbled.

"You know when I was reading the boys a story earlier Kobe properly cuddled into me,” Charlie smiled. “It was so sweet.”

“He really trusts you,” Brax rubbed her arms. “Shame the same can’t be said about me.” Brax mumbled as he broke eye contact with Charlie, looking to his side.

“Give him some time,” Charlie said. “The poor boy has been dragged from home to home. He’s lived in like 7 different homes and he’s only 5,” Charlie told him. “And his last home was hardly welcoming for him,” Charlie said. “But you are a wonderful man and an amazing dad to the kids,” Charlie gave him a loving smile as she spoke. “He’s going to adore you soon enough.”

“You think so?” Brax didn’t sound so sure.

“How could anyone not?” Charlie questioned, bringing her hands up and resting them around his neck, her eyebrows raising as she placed a kiss on his lips. “We’ll have a nice little bonding day at the park tomorrow,” Charlie said. “Maybe then we can take go to the restaurant for dinner.”

“Sounds good,” Brax gave a little smile, still feeling wary of Kobe starting to talk to him but of course would make the effort, Brax wanting to help the boy learn to trust. “But like we’ve said, I’m not going to push him,” Brax exhaled. “I’ll talk to him but if he doesn’t reply I’ll try to not be too disheartened. Like you said he needs time.”

“Yup,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Besides I’m sure once he sees you with Daniel and Georgia more he’ll start to relax around you,” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod. “To Kobe you are a big, muscly scary looking man. I’d be scared of you too.” Charlie teased and Brax gasped, mocking offence.

“Cheeky.” Brax said as he pinched Charlie’s bum, Charlie giving a girly squeal as she slapped his chest, before they once again met in a kiss.

forty-six

Charlie walked into Georgia’s room to check that her daughter had finally fallen asleep. She saw the bed was empty and felt a little panicked, quickly scanning the rest of the room. She relaxed as she saw her daughter’s little foot sticking out of her princess themed play tent. She walked across and bent down, smiling at Georgia cuddled up with Owlie in one hand and her owl blanket being held securely in her other. Looking further into the tent she saw a couple of Georgia’s teddies and one of her dolls all laying in a row under a yellow blanket, Charlie wondering if Georgia was trying to have a little sleep over. She gently lifted her daughter up into her arms, Georgia stirring a little before cuddling into Charlie as she walked over to the bed and laid her daughter down. She softly kissed her temple before running her hand over her chocolaty hair. She just watched her daughter for a moment, not quiet believing she was 2 years old already. “Stop growing up so quickly.” Charlie whispered before she once again kissed her temple and walked out of the bedroom, yawning as she walked down the hall.

“Mum.” Daniel rubbed his eyes as he walked into the hall, the hall light hurting his eyes.

“You alright buddy?” Charlie questioned, running her hand over his bed hair.

“I’m fine,” Daniel answered. “It’s Kobe.” Daniel pointed back into the room before taking his mother’s hand and dragging her into the room. There was a little light already in the room from the night light that was on and now the light from the hall was bringing extra light in, allowing Charlie to see Kobe sitting in the corner of the room, Wally hugged close to him as he looked terrified.

“Hey bud, you okay?” Charlie spoke softly as she walked over to him and sat down next to him, but not too close, not wanting to make him feel uncomfortable.

“I see’d him.” Kobe said, shuffling closer to Charlie and getting onto her knee, Charlie feeling that he was wet through his pyjamas, Kobe obviously having pee’d the bed.

“You saw who?” Charlie questioned.

“Daddy Brian,” Kobe answered. “He was here and he was going to hit me because I am so naughty and clumsy.”

“He screamed no in his sleep.” Daniel told his mother, Charlie looking to her son before looking back to Kobe.

“It was just a bad dream,” Charlie told him as she soothingly rubbed his back. “And you’ve not been naughty and you’re not clumsy,” Charlie assured him. “But more importantly you are safe here. Brian can’t get near you anymore. The police have got him locked up.”

“You are the police,” Kobe said, looking at Charlie in the eyes, Kobe’s soft green eyes showing fear. “Where did you put him?”

“He’s in a prison in Sydney.” Charlie told him.

“Oh,” Kobe answered. “And mummy Jill and Sean and Adam?” Kobe questioned.

“Who’s Sean and Adam?” Charlie wondered, Kobe cuddling closer to her.

“Brian and Jill’s real boys,” Kobe said. “They are uhm...” Kobe shrugged. “They are uhm....maybe old teenagers and they tell me I am naughty too and sometimes shut me in the cupboard or throw things.”

“Well they are not going to do that anymore,” Charlie said, glancing at Daniel and seeing he looked shocked at what little Kobe went through at his old home. “They don’t know you are here so won’t be able to find you.”

“I believe you Charlie,” Kobe said, his fingers tracing her face. “You will keep me safe.”

“That’s right, I sure will,” Charlie hugged Kobe tightly as she placed a kiss on his head. “Now how about we get you out of these pyjamas?”

“I don’t have more.” Kobe said as Charlie stood him up before she stood up herself.

“I’m sure we can get you something of Daniel’s to wear.” Charlie said and Daniel walked over to his drawers to get Kobe a clean set of pyjamas as Charlie took off the bottom sheet on the bottom bunk, that was wet, Kobe walking over and standing as close to Charlie as possible as he kept a tight hold of Wally wombat.

April walked into the living room, seeing James looking down at some baby grows. “I don’t remember buying these.” April said looking down to the set of 5 baby grows, each one with different safari animals on it.

“I uhm....I might have bought them a few days ago,” James said and April raised her eyebrows as she picked up the top one, a little white baby grow that had a little elephant on the front. “They’re cute right?”

“Yeah,” April answered. “They are really cute.” April smiled as she ran her hand over the top of one. She looked back up to James, her head cocking to the side as she raised her eyebrows.

“C’mon hun,” James exhaled. “I’m allowed to be excited. It’s only a few baby grows.”

“I know sorry,” April said. “I just don’t want to do too much too soon.”

“Yeah but you are after 12 weeks now,” James said, his hand going down onto her bump and rubbing it gently. “Things will be fine, right?”

April gave a little shrug. “Charlie lost her twins at 14 weeks,” April pursed her lips. “Babe I’m not trying to take the fun out of this for you, I....I’m just trying to protect you really,” April exhaled. “Just in case.”

“Peanut will be fine,” James said. “I know you worry but that will only stress you then it really won’t be good for the baby,” James spoke softly. “So....less worrying, hmm...” James tucked her hair behind her ear. “Come New Years we’ll have a little peanut at home with us. Making us a family of 4.” James sounded excited at the thought.

“Yeah,” April smiled, her hand rubbing over her stomach. “So, what we going to do today?”

“Might have a little something sorted,” James said. “But first I was thinking of making you and little dude a pancake breakfast,” James smiled and April raised her eyebrows at James’ offer, it not often he’d make breakfast. “Try and get you fattened up so little peanut comes out all chubby and cute.”

“I wanna go throw up,” April shook her head, her morning sickness showing no signs of clearing any time soon. “But you can make pancakes for Finn. He loves it when it’s pancakes for breakfast.”

“Where is he anyways?” James questioned. “He’s usually yelling for breakfast already.” James said, glancing over to the clock to check on the time.

“He’s still sleeping,” April said. “I figured he could have a little lie in since it’s the weekend,” April pursed her lips. “So what have you got planned?” April questioned, her hand going onto her chest as she swallowed.

“Remember that house I showed you the other day?” James questioned and April gave a little nod. “We’ve got an appointment with an estate agent and we are going out to see it.” James told her.

“Really?” April questioned and James nodded his head.

“Yeah. Didn’t think it would hurt to have a look.” James said.

“Nah I guess not,” April replied. “I still think it’s too big for us though.” April didn’t see the need of a family of 3, soon to be 4 moving into a 6 bed roomed house.

“Well look at it this way,” James said. “We move into a three bed roomed place then have more kids and we’ll need to move to a bigger house so there’s room for everyone,” James said. “We move into the 6 bed house now and we are there forever. Don’t need to have the hassle of moving again.”

“I guess that’s true,” April exhaled. “Still pretty big sounding though and the kids can share bedrooms.”

James looked like April had said something appalling. “No. They should be able to have a room each.” James said.

“So does that mean 5 kids?” April questioned, giving there would be 6 rooms in the house.

“Uhm,” James gave a little shrug. “Maybe a few will have to share then.” James said with a cheeky grin. April just raised her eyebrows as she shook her head before James pulled her in for a kiss.

“Heath,” Kaya glared up at him. “You smell.”

“Kaya,” Bianca gasped, looking down to her daughter. “Don’t be so rude.”

“He does though mummy and you say to always tell the truth.” Kaya said as she looked to her mum.

“Not if it’s rude and if it will hurt someone’s feelings.” Bianca said as Heath gave a little laugh.

“Sorry Kaya I’ve been working today,” Heath said, Heath working on the trawler boat. “Can’t say I notice the fish smell anymore.”

“You should go shower,” Kaya curled her nose up. “Then take me and mummy for lunch at the restaurant.”

Bianca looked embarrassed by her daughter’s forwardness. “Sounds good to me,” Heath gave a little laugh before looking back to Bianca. “I did come around here to ask if you wanted to come out to lunch with me anyways.” Heath said, smiling at Bianca. They’d been dating for the last 5 weeks, but things had been slow, Bianca not wanting to rush things since it had been so long since she’d last been in a relationship and after how Liam had broke her heart, she wanted to make sure she could trust Heath before she fully let him in to hers and Kaya’s lives.

“Well yeah that would be nice.” Bianca answered, her and Heath looking into each other’s eyes, both smiling at each other.

“Great,” Heath answered. “Well I’ll get home and shower and get changed. I’ll come back around 2?” Heath said with a questioning tone and Bianca gave a little nod. Heath worked from 5am through till 1pm and hoped Bianca hadn’t eaten lunch already that day.

“Sounds good. I’ll see you later then.” Bianca said as Heath smiled down at her before leaning in for a kiss.

“See ya kiddo.” Heath said as he ruffled Kaya’s hair before leaving Bianca’s house, looking forward to their lunch date.

forty-seven

Charlie and Kobe were sitting on the picnic blanket, Kobe having brought Wally wombat along with him. She was watching Kobe as he watched Brax, chasing after Georgia, Georgia giggling with delight as she ran in circles away from her father. “You should go join them.” Charlie said, running her hand over Kobe’s hair. Kobe glanced up at Charlie before hugging Wally closer to him.

Kobe shook his head before looking over to the skate park where Daniel was doing tricks on his skateboard. “I wanna play with Daniel.” Kobe spoke quietly.

“You wanna try out the skateboard?” Charlie questioned and Kobe gave a shy nod. “Daniel.” Charlie shouted over to her son and he came running over to his mother. Charlie glanced at Kobe before looking back to Daniel, hoping Kobe would ask himself.

“Can I.....” Kobe started to talk before looking to Charlie. She gave him an encouraging smile before he looked back to Kobe. “Can I try?” Kobe questioned.

“Yeah,” Daniel told him. “I can show you how,” Daniel sounded pleased that Kobe wanted to skate with him. “Will I give him my helmet and pads mum?” Daniel questioned and Charlie nodded as Kobe gave her Wally for safe keeping. Daniel took his helmet off and put it on Kobe’s head, tightening the straps a little, making sure it was secure.

“Mummy,” Georgia’s voice shrieked as she ran over to them, Brax following after. “Daddy get me ice-cream.” Georgia said, jumping onto Charlie, Charlie taking hold of her daughter in a hug.

“You want some as well boys?” Brax questioned, smiling down at the boys as Daniel got Kobe into the safety pads.

“Oh yeah,” Daniel grinned. “Kobe do you like ice-cream?”

Kobe gave a little nod, before glancing up at Brax. “You want some then?” Brax questioned and Kobe opened his mouth as if he was going to reply, but no words came out.

He looked to Charlie before talking. “I like mint choc chip.” Kobe told her.

“Okay we can get you that one.” Charlie told him and Kobe gave a little smile before looking back to Daniel.

“We ready to try?” Kobe questioned, looking at the skateboard that was now in Daniel’s hands.

“Ah I hope you get on better than me Kobe,” Brax said, bringing his hand down at nudging his shoulder. Kobe jumped in fright as he moved away from Brax, his hand touching Charlie’s arm for safely. Brax exhaled sadly before he continued to try to bond with the boy. “When Daniel tried to show me how to skate I fell off. Scraped my knee and bruised my side,” Brax laughed. “Think I’m maybe too old to try skating huh?” Brax said.

Kobe gave a little shrug before once again glancing at Daniel. “Let’s go.” Daniel told him, taking his hand as the pair of them ran off to the little skate park. Brax watched the boys for a moment before he sat down on the picnic blanket next to Charlie and Georgia, Charlie seeing he looked disheartened.

“Give him time,” Charlie spoke quietly. “It must be hard enough to deal with one new person in your life, never mind 5,” Charlie said seeing as Kobe had to get used to being with not only Charlie and Brax but Daniel, Georgia and of course Ruby. “Well technically 6 because Heath’s still living with us.”

“I know,” Brax sighed as he reached into Charlie’s bag and pulled out his wallet before standing up. “Right trouble, you going to come help daddy get everyone and ice-cream?” Brax said and Georgia nodded as she jumped up and took Brax’s hand, the pair of them walking to the nearby ice-cream shop as Charlie watched Daniel and Kobe as Daniel showed him how to skate, Charlie smiling as she saw that Kobe looked happy with a big smile on his face.

April, James and Finn had been to view the house and had been left alone in the garden to talk things over. With one family already keen to make an offer on the house, the estate agent told them they’d need to act quickly if they were interested. “Wow,” Finn gasped as the saw the pool. “I go in?” Finn questioned, giving his parents puppy dog eyes.

“No,” April answered, Finn giving a sad pout. “But you can go play on the slide over there.” April said, pointing to the playground set that was in the garden. Finn grinned before running off to play.

“So,” James wrapped his arms around April, pulling her close to him, her little bump leaning against his stomach. “What do you think?” James questioned, looking around to the swimming pool and the huge garden that was behind it.

“It’s a gorgeous place.” April exhaled.

“But?” James sighed, knowing one was coming.

“I....right now this peanut growing strong and healthy is all that’s important to me,” April said as she rubbed her hand over her stomach. “I...I just want to deal with being pregnant without having the stress of moving on top of that,” April bit her lip. “I just don’t think we need this right now.”

James bowed his head, looking a little disappointed. “You won’t have to do much,” James told her. “You and little dude can relax in the garden and I’ll deal with getting the house sorted,” James said. “Get Shay and the boys to help me. Even Evan and I’m sure Brax, Heath and Miles would help out too.”

“I...” April shook her head. “Now’s not the time,” April said before she started to walk away. “Finn,” April shouted over to her son. “C’mon bud. We’re going home.” April gestured for Finn to come back over to her, James sighing as he shook his head, really wanting to get his family out of the small apartment and into that nice big home.

Heath, Bianca and Kaya walked back into Bianca’s house after their lunch at the restaurant. Kaya ran straight to her bedroom to get changed into her tutu, Kaya wanting to do a dance show for her mum and Heath. Heath sat down on the couch, Bianca taking a seat next to him as he picked up the remote and switched the TV on, the TV coming onto a music channel. Bianca felt a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach as one of Liam’s songs came on the TV. “Change the channel.” Bianca tried to get the remote but Heath held his arm far away from her so she couldn’t reach it.

“You heard Kaya,” Heath said. “She needs the music channel on for her dancing.”

“Well it doesn’t need to be this one.” Bianca shrieked. “Please change it.”

“She asked for this channel,” Heath said, looking back to the TV before glancing at Bianca, seeing the look on her face. “Not a Liam Murphy fan then?” Heath laughed. “Thought all the ladies gushed over him.”

“There was one point I did,” Bianca mumbled. “But that was......that was before he was a multi-millionaire recording artist,” Bianca said, rubbing one hand with the other. “Liam is uhm....he’s Kaya’s father.”

“Oh,” Heath widened his eyes. “So he left to be a junkie rockstar?” Heath gave a little laugh. “His loss. You and Kaya are amazing and he’s stupid for walking out on that.”

Bianca gave him an appreciative smile. “I keep trying to tell myself that,” Bianca said. “That we deserved better. That Kaya deserves a father who wants to be here for her,” Bianca pursed her lips. “But I...I.....I still.....” Bianca trailed off, glancing at the TV and watching Liam strumming his guitar on the beach. Heath looked to Bianca seeing a look in her eyes.

“Do you still love him?” Heath questioned.

“I don’t think its love,” Bianca answered. “I hate him for leaving us like he did. I...I was never able to get any sort of closure on the relationship. He said he was leaving and that was it. The next day he was gone and....”Bianca shrugged. “I had to keep myself together because I was pregnant and then obviously Kaya arrived and I....” Bianca shook her head as clicked her tongue. “I don’t know what it is.”

“Well maybe you need to figure that out before we can happen,” Heath told her. “I uhm....” Heath rubbed the back of his head as he stood up. “I’ll just go right now.”

“You don’t have to leave,” Bianca stood up, following him to the door. “Kaya will be disappointed. What am i supposed to tell her?”

“I’m sure you’ll come up with something.” Heath mumbled before opening the door and walking out of the house, Bianca sighing as she rested her head against the door frame, not knowing why she couldn’t seem to get over Liam.

Thank you Kristen and Sarah :)

forty-eight

James hung up the phone before walking back into the room finding Finn playing a game with Olive. “Gamma go.” Finn nudged her knee and Olive took her shot before looking back up to James.

“You alright there Jay-bug?” Olive questioned.

“Yeah yeah,” James sat down on the floor, watching Finn for a moment. “I uhm...I just put an offer in on the house April and I went to see this afternoon.” James murmured.

“The house April told you she didn’t want?” Olive raised her eyebrows.

“But I know that she does,” James answered. “She just doesn’t want the stress of moving when she is pregnant,” James told his gran. “But we have Evan and my mates to help out. She won’t get stressed.”

“So how do you think she’ll react if the offer is accepted?” Olive questioned. “That might get her a little annoyed.”

“She’ll be pleased,” James answered. “I know she will. She’s wants this place.”

Olive mumbled something that James couldn’t quite pick up as she held her hands out in front of her. “Well I just hope you know what you are doing,” Olive ran her hand over Finn’s hair. “The last thing I want is you two fighting over this.”

“We’ll be fine,” James exhaled. “But you know we might not even get the house so there’s no point in saying anymore until we know for sure.”

“The house has a pool.” Finn said, smiling up at Olive.

“That’s cool.” Olive answered.

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded. “Had lots and lots and lots of bedrooms,” Finn said. “So there’s room for my baby.” Finn grinned.

“It’s not your baby.” James laughed.

“Yeah, my sister.” Finn said, furrowing his eyebrows at his father.

“Oh you want a little sister?” Olive questioned and Finn gave a little nod.

“That reminds me,” James spoke up as he looked back to his gran. “April and I never did tell you the name we picked for a girl, did we?”

“You’ve picked a name already?” Olive questioned, looking intrigued.

“We picked it weeks ago.” James said, pausing as he wondered if maybe he should wait to tell her when April was also present.

“Well?” Olive questioned, keen to know the name of her future great grandchild.

“Victoria,” James said, a grin etching on his face. “She uhm....she wants to call our daughter Victoria.” James beamed.

“Oh James,” Olive felt herself welling up as she put hand onto her chest. “That’s lovely.”

“I know,” James cleared his throat. “I know she’s never going to be here to see her grandkids but she....she’ll be here in a different sort of way,” James gave a little smile as Finn walked around to him and climbed up onto his knee. “You okay little dude?” James questioned as he wrapped his arms around Finn kissed the side of his head.

“I’m hungry,” Finn told him. “And where’s mummy?”

“Mummy is at home having a lie down because the baby is making her feel a little sick,” James said. “As for you being hungry, dinner is in the oven.” James said, James and Finn being at Olive’s for dinner, the three of them going on a Saturday for their dinner, although today April didn’t come along as she felt pretty ill.

“Gamma make it hurry.” Finn said looking to her.

Olive gave a little laugh. “I’ll go check on it.” Olive said before she walked through to the kitchen, to do as Finn requested and check on dinner.

“Hey,” Bianca smiled as April walked into the house. “Don’t you normally go to Olive’s on a Saturday?”

“I was pretty sick before,” April answered as she sat down on the couch next to her sister. “Jay and Finn have gone though. Was actually nice just having the place to myself for a bit.” April said as she pulled a cushion close to her.

“You not sick anymore then?” Bianca questioned.

“Well I threw up for pretty much an hour straight so hopefully that’s it for a while,” April answered. “So where’s Kaya hiding?”

“She’s refusing to come out of her room,” Bianca sighed. “We went out for lunch with Heath this afternoon and then he came around here and then....” Bianca trailed off, giving a little shrug. “I dunno. Things didn’t go well.”

“Well what happened?” April questioned.

Bianca clicked her tongue. “I told him about Liam,” Bianca exhaled. “I...” She shrugged as she pulled a cushion closer to her. “His song was on the TV and I....well you know how I get when I hear him and see him,” Bianca pursed her lips, looking down. “He asked if I still loved him and I....I don’t think it’s love but.....” Bianca stopped talking as she looked back to her sister.

“He’s Kaya’s father,” April rubbed Bianca’s arm. “I think you are always going to feel something,” April said, Bianca pursing her lips as she gave a little nod. “I.....I hate Xavier for leaving me like he did but he also gave me Finn and I’m forever going to be grateful and thankful to him for that.”

“Yeah,” Bianca gave a little smile. “And I....I think the way he left, you know I...I didn’t really get any closure on the relationship.”

“Maybe you taking another step with Heath will help.” April suggested.

“What you mean have sex with Heath and knock any memories of my time with Liam from my mind?” Bianca murmured and April gave a little laugh.

“In a word. Yes.” April nodded.

“And this is coming from experience, is it?” Bianca questioned. April took a deep breath as she played with her engagement ring, giving a little nod.

“If I didn’t meet James when I did I....well I’d probably be as bad as you at this dating thing.” April stifled a laugh.

“You’re lucky to have James,” Bianca squeezed her sister’s arm. “Let’s just hope I’ve not ruined things with Heath before they’ve even started.” Bianca mumbled, taking a deep breath, hoping her and Heath would still be able to make a relationship work.

Charlie rested her hand on Brax’s bare chest as they kissed. She let the kiss deepened a little as she slowly slid her hand down his chest and went under the rim of his boxers. Brax grunted a little as he ran his hands hand down her back, finding the bottom of her singlet. “Ahh.” Charlie sighed as there was a knock at the door.

“We need to get a sock for that door.” Brax mumbled and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Who’d knock?” Charlie wondered. The kids would just walk in, or at least Daniel and Georgia would and she didn’t think Ruby or Heath would knock at that time of night. “Kobe?” Charlie mouthed as she got out of bed and walked over to the door. “Hey bud you okay?” Charlie questioned, seeing it was indeed Kobe at the door, Wally wombat being held under one arm as he held a book in his other.

“I can’t sleep.” Kobe answered.

“And you want me to read you a story?” Charlie questioned and Kobe looked behind Charlie to Brax before looking back to Charlie and shaking his head.

“Will he?” Kobe whispered.

Charlie looked back to Brax before looking back to Kobe. “I’m sure he will.” Charlie answered as she took Kobe’s hand and walked him over to the bed. Kobe climbed up onto the bed before Charlie got back in after him, Kobe sitting close to her she wrapped her arm around him, Kobe cuddling into her as he looked at Brax and handed out the book for him to take.

Brax looked down to it as he took it in his hand. “You want a story?” Brax questioned and Kobe gave a shy nod as he cuddled even more into Charlie. Brax gave a smile as he glanced at Charlie, the smile on his face only growing as he hoped that this was the first step in Kobe learning to trust him.

forty-nine

“That’s great,” James spoke through the phone. “Yeah will do. Thank you,” James hung up the phone and took a deep breath for the conversation he was about to have with his fiancée. It had been a week since he’d made the offer and he’d just got the call to say it had been accepted. He cleared his throat as he walked out of the bedroom and through to the kitchen where Finn was eating his breakfast. “Where’s mummy?” James questioned, ruffling Finn’s hair as he took a seat at the table. Finn made a noise like he was going to be sick. “Aww poor mummy,” James exhaled. He hated that April was still sick and really hoped that it end for her soon. “I’ll just go check on her yeah?” James said and Finn nodded before James stood up and walked through to the bathroom, the door being left open a little, James hearing April vomiting before he saw her. “You okay?” James spoke softly as he walked over and bent down next to her.

April turned her head and gave him a steely glare. “Do I look okay?” April seethed before she turned to the toilet bowl and once again threw up. James held her hair out of the way, rubbing her back with his other hand. “You get to have a great night then your job is done. I have to deal with nine months of this then give birth.” April flushed the toilet before standing up and walking over to the sink, turning on the tap and cupping her hands underneath to collect some water in her hands so she could take a drink.

“It’s not my fault nature works this way.” James sighed as he stood up and walked over to her.

“That’s all you ever say,” April spat as she dried her hands on the hand towel that was hanging on the rail. “It’s not my fault,” April mocked James’ voice as she shook her head. “Well it’s not like I made this on my own.” April hit her hand against her stomach as she stormed out of the bathroom, James following after her.

“Hun.” James exhaled as he sped up and took hold of her hand and span her around to face him. He saw she had tears in her eyes and reached his hand up and wiped his hand over her eyes, wiping away the tears before they had the chance to fall.

“I’m sorry,” April sniffed. “It’s just....”

“I know,” James exhaled. “Hormones,” James winked as he rubbed her cheek. “But I do have something to tell you that might cheer you up.” James gave her a smile as he took her hands in his.

“You’ve found a way for men to carry the kids?” April grinned.

James stifled a laugh. “No. But,” James took a deep breath. “We got the house.” James told her, April cocking her head to the side as she looked confused.

“I’m sorry what?” April questioned.

“The house we looked at last week. I put in an offer and it’s been accepted. I just got the call.” James said, the smile dropping from his face as he saw the look on April’s.

“I uhm,” April shook her head as she pulled her hands away and took a step back. “I said I didn’t want to move. Why would you....why would you go ahead and do that without me?” April questioned.

“Because it’s for our family’s future,” James sighed. “Hun this is only going to be a good thing and you love the house, right little dude?” James shouted down the hall to the kitchen where they heard the chair scraping back before Finn appeared in the hall, nodding his head vigorously. “See, let’s do it.”

April shook her head as she walked away from James and over to the door of the apartment. “Finn come with mummy.” April shouted over to her son, Finn running across to her.

“Where are you going?” James walked across to the door.

“For a walk,” April retorted. “Without you.” April added as she slammed the door shut, James sighing as he ran his hand through his hair.

Charlie stopped outside the bedroom door as she heard the boys chatting, a smile etching on her face as she was pleased they were continuing to bond with each other. Kobe still didn’t talk to Brax but Brax reading him a bedtime story had become almost a nightly thing. “You should come with me and dad and Uncle Heath,” Daniel said. “You’ve gotten good at the swimming and dad would love you to surf with us.”

“Go with Darryl without Charlie?” Kobe questioned, Charlie hearing the slight fear in his voice.

“Yeah,” Daniel answered. “Dad is really fun and Uncle Heath too. And mum wants to have a girls’ day with Georgia at the crafts centre.”

“I can do crafts.” Kobe mumbled.

“But it would be cool for us boys to surf together,” Daniel said. “We have lots of fun skating so surfing would be the same but then with dad too. Dad is the best ever.”

“He’s not my daddy though. Maybe he won’t like me.” Kobe spoke with a sadness to his tone, Charlie feeling her heart stings tugging.

“He does,” Daniel answered. “And he can be your daddy. He’s the best ever,” Daniel told him. “He was so funny and nice with me when he moved across the hall and when I was sick he gave me some of his uhm....” Daniel gave a little shrug. “Something to make me better.”

“He’s not your real daddy?” Kobe questioned and Daniel shook his head.

“I’ve never known my real dad,” Daniel answered. “But Brax is the only person I want as my dad. He’s the best person ever. Well except from mum. She is the best ever but dad comes next.” Daniel said, Charlie moving a little closer to the door so she could see the boys.

“But he is so nice to you.” Kobe sounded surprised that a man could be so nice to a kid who wasn’t his own.

“And he will be to you too,” Daniel leaned forward and rubbed Kobe’s arm. Daniel and Charlie were so far the only people who could touch Kobe without him flinching. “You will see if you come to surf.”

“But what about the other man?” Kobe asked, looking down shyly.

“Uncle Heath is cool too,” Daniel answered. “Everyone we know is and everyone will be nice to you.”

“But you will stay with me?” Kobe questioned, Charlie seeing he was still a little unsure of the idea as he hugged Wally close to him.

“Yeah,” Daniel grinned. “So you’ll come?” Daniel questioned and Kobe gave a little nod, Daniel jumping up into the air as he cheered before making a run for the door, stopping as he saw his mother standing there smiling down at him. “He’s going to come mum. With me and dad and Heath and not you.”

“I hear,” Charlie ruffled Daniel’s hair before she bent down to his level. “That was a really nice chat you had,” Charlie whispered as she rubbed his cheek before she kissed him softly. “Why don’t you go tell dad, huh?” Charlie nudged his arm and Daniel nodded as he ran out of the room and thumped down the stairs as he yelled for Brax.

“You sure you don’t want to come out there?” Evan questioned as he lay his surfboard down in the sand and sat down next to her.

Ruby looked out to the waves as she shook her head. Her surfing took the life of her boyfriend and she swore she’d never get herself into a situation that could put someone in danger again. “Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head. “You stay out longer if you want though,” Ruby told him. “I’m happy just chilling here.”

“Not really a date if we aren’t together eh,” Evan ran his hand through his hair, pushing it back from his face. “How about we go in the water minus the board then?” Evan questioned. “Lovely little rock pool out by those rocks if we swim for a bit.”

Ruby pursed her lips. She still went swimming and would go in the sea, but never really went out passed knee level. “I’m fine sitting here,” Ruby answered. “We can just chill, right?” Ruby said, looking up to Evan.

“We can chill.” Evan gave her a little smile before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss, letting it deepened a little before they pulled back, Ruby moving closer to Evan and leaning herself against his chest, Evan wrapping his arm around her.

“You can tell me how this job and house hunt is going.” Ruby said a cheeky tone to her voice.

“Uhm,” Evan gave a sort of laugh. “It’s happening.” Evan said. Ruby looked up at him, her head shaking, knowing Evan hadn’t done much in terms of finding a job or place to stay.

“You’re such a lazy.....” Ruby trailed off. “Maybe I’m going to have to give you an incentive to get a job,” Ruby said as she ran her hand over Evan’s bare chest, Evan raising his eyebrows before they shared another kiss.

Thank you.

fifty

Finn ran down the beach, excited as he saw Ruby sitting on the sand. “Ruby Ruby,” Finn squealed. “I see you.” Finn jumped onto her, Ruby wrapping her arms around the boy in a hug.

“Hey bud, how are you today?” Ruby questioned.

“Mummy shouted,” Finn said as April sat down next to her. Ruby raised her eyebrows at her friend before looking back to Finn who was trying to pull her head back to face him. “Daddy to stay home.”

“Oh.” Ruby answered.

“Hey bud why don’t you go try to find a nice shell to take for Gamma tonight?” April said, running her hand through Finn’s hair. Finn gave a little nod as he jumped up from Ruby’s knee and ran off across the beach. “Not too far.” April shouted.

“So,” Ruby clicked her tongue. “Trouble in paradise?”

April exhaled as she rolled her engagement ring around her finger. “He bought a house.” April said and Ruby widened her eyes, not sure if she heard her friend right.

“I’m sorry. What?” Ruby said.

“The house we looked at last weekend that I said I didn’t want,” April sighed. “Well he put an offer in anyways and it was accepted.”

“So, you are moving?” Ruby questioned, seeing April glanced in Finn’s direction to see he was safe before looking back to her friend.

“Jay seems to think so,” April shrugged. “The house is lovely but it’s too big and I just...I want to concentrate on the baby right now, not moving house.”

“Well that’s a great excuse to let Jay move everything into the house himself,” Ruby laughed. “You can stand around and order him about.”

April stifled a laugh as she once again rolled her engagement ring around her finger. “We’ll see,” April exhaled, still not wanting to move to the house. “So anyways, you been in the surf?” April questioned, seeing the surfboard by Ruby, Ruby seeing her friend looked surprised at the thought.

“Nah it’s Evan’s,” Ruby answered. “He’s just gone to get us some smoothies.” Ruby gestured back off the beach and April gave a little nod as Finn came running back with a couple of little white shells in his hand.

“Got Gamma 2.” Finn said, plonking himself down in front of Ruby and his mother, his hand being held out for them to see.

“Ah they are nice ones,” Ruby said. “She’ll love those.”

“Yeah,” Finn grinned as he held them close to him. “I find some for my sister too.” Finn gave the shells to April before standing to his feet again and running off.

“So he wants a sister,” Ruby put her hand onto April’s bump. “What does mummy think?”

“I’m leaning towards saying it’s a girl,” April answered. “I seem to be carrying differently from when I had Finn and I’ve been so sick. Only a girl could cause this much drama.” April laughed.

“What about Jay?” Ruby questioned.

“Well yes, he is causing lots of drama right now too.” April said and Ruby laughed.

“I meant does he think it’s a boy or girl.” Ruby said.

“I know you did,” April answered. “I’m not sure what he thinks it is but I think he’d like a daughter,” April said, her hand rubbing over her bump. “But I’m not at all bothered. I mean don’t get me wrong a daughter would be nice but boys are awesome. Finn’s my little buddy,” April smiled as she looked out to her son before looking back to Ruby. “And it’s not like this one will be my last,” April said. “We’ll have more. But hopefully not for like another 10 years or so,” April exhaled. “So, my kids going to get cousins?” April questioned.

“We’ve only been together like 6 weeks, steady on,” Ruby looked panicked at the thought. “Besides, Evan and I have yet to take the baby making step,” Ruby said. “But one day, of course I want kids.”

“But you do see yourself taking that step with him?” April questioned and Ruby gave a little nod as she picked up a clump of sand, letting it fall through the gasps of her fingers.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “And now Jay and Evan are talking we can go that double date.” Ruby grinned.

“Might need to wait till James and I are talking again before that can happen.” April murmured, once again looking out to see her son was safe. She knew her and James had to talk over the house situation and that they had to do it fast, but she was going to let him know she was mad at him for a little longer first.

Georgia was standing looking at all the different clay models she could paint, taking her time to choose which one she wanted to paint. “C’mon sweetie don’t take all day.” Charlie said, Charlie already holding the vase she was going to paint.

“I not,” Georgia answered. “I just looking,” Georgia scratched the side of her head as she scrunched her face up. “That one.” Georgia pointed to the monkey clay model.

“Is that because you are a monkey?” Charlie poked her daughters sides, Georgia giving out a giggle.

“No,” Georgia moved to the side so Charlie’s couldn’t tickle her. “Kobe likes ‘em.” Georgia said, Kobe being very into animals.

“Ah so are you going to paint this for Kobe?” Charlie questioned.

Uh-uh,” Georgia nodded as she ran over to a free table, Charlie walking across behind her. She put an apron on Georgia so she didn’t get paint all over her clothes before sitting down next to her. “He like it mummy?” Georgia questioned as she picked up her paint brush and dipped it into some purple paint.

“Oh yeah,” Charlie smiled, as she dipped her brush into the orange paint before she started painting her vase. “It’s very nice of you to paint something for Kobe.”

“He gets Wally,” Georgia answered. “Now monkey.” Georgia said, Charlie figuring out that because Daniel gave him Wally wombat she wanted to give him something too.

“So you like having Kobe around?” Charlie questioned and Georgia gave a big grin as she nodded her head.

“He’s nice,” Georgia answered. “But he no talks.” Georgia held her hands out to the side.

“He speaks to mummy and Daniel,” Charlie said as she ran her hand over Georgia’s hair. “And he’ll talk more with you and Rubes and daddy once he feels more comfortable,” Charlie told her. “But mummy is glad you like him.”

“He stay forevers?” Georgia wondered.

“Yeah.” Charlie answered, really hoping that one day soon they could hopefully adopt the boy.

“He come wedding?” Georgia furrowed her eyebrows as she looked up to her mother.

“Of course he’ll be at the wedding.” Charlie answered.

Georgia looked a little alarmed. “He no my dress,” Georgia shook her head. “Sparkly shoes no.”

“No,” Charlie laughed. “He’s not going to take your dress or sparkly shoes.” Charlie once again ran her hand over her daughter’s hair. Although the wedding was booked for nearly 5 months away, she was already really excited for the day and to spend the rest of her life as Mrs Braxton, with Brax and the kids, happy that Kobe was going to be a part of that future.

Kobe was standing at the water’s edge, watching as Heath and Daniel surfed. Brax was standing next to Kobe, waiting till he said he was ready to try surfing. “Look like they are having fun out there huh?” Brax questioned, looking down to Kobe. Kobe stared up at him, his green eyes going wide as he made eye contact with Brax. He nodded shyly before looking back out towards Daniel. “Anytime you want to go out there you just tell me, yeah?” Brax said and Kobe once again nodded before he looked back to where their towels were. He gave a little sigh before he ran up and picked up the ball before he ran down and held it up for Brax to take. “You wanna play ball?” Brax questioned and Kobe nodded. Kobe had never spoken to Brax but would now answer him when he spoke with nods or shakes of his head. “Move out there a bit then.” Brax told him and Kobe ran up the beach a little before Brax threw him the ball, Kobe and him beginning to throw it back and forth.

“Dad,” Daniel shouted from sitting on his board in the water. “Aren’t you coming?” Daniel wondered.

“Kobe wants to throw the ball.” Brax shouted back to his son.

“Kobe you should come in,” Daniel said. “Dad will keep you safe.” Daniel told him, Kobe keeping a hold of the ball for a moment, looking deep in thought as he stared at Daniel. Brax seeing how much Kobe trusted what Daniel was saying.

Kobe threw the ball down and ran over to Brax. “Promise?” Kobe squeaked so quietly it was barely audible.

“I promise.” Brax grinned, trying not to make a big deal out of the fact Kobe had spoken to him but it made his heart want to burst. Kobe gave him a smile before he took his hand in his and walked up the beach with Brax to get the old boogie board of Daniel’s so Brax could show him how to surf.

Archived