Forever and Always

Thanks Kristen and Sarah.

one hundred and seventy-one

Ruby was holding Caden as Evan sat on the floor, building a tower with Leo. “He giving you some ideas?” James joked as he brought the drinks and biscuits through.

“Being an Auntie is enough for now,” Ruby murmured, her gaze never leaving Caden, Caden’s big green eyes taking in the room. “He is so cute.”

“So you’ll be the first port of call to watch the four of them when we need a break?” James laughed.

“Yeah of course. Right Ev?” Ruby questioned, looking to her boyfriend for a moment, Evan and Leo both building their own separate towers next to each others.

“Yeah.” Evan answered, too busy building his tower to add anything else.

“Well it’s not going to be for a while yet.” April said, of course nowhere near thinking about going out without the twins.

“I know,” Ruby said. “But any time you want us to take the boys out so you can have a break from 4 little ones and time with the twins then just give us a shout.” Ruby told her friends, of course willing to help out with April’s brood of little ones.

“We’ll remember that.” James passed Leo his sippy cup, Leo taking a hold of it before standing up and walking over to the couch where April was sitting. She lifted her son up and placed him on her knee, Leo smiling up at her before taking a drink.

“So what do you think of Caden?” Ruby questioned, looking down to Leo who was cuddling into his mother. At hearing Caden’s name, Leo scrunched his nose and shook his head before he took another drink. “Not impressed then?” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“No he’s not the loving big brother yet,” April said, her hand running through Leo’s hair. “But we’re hopeful it’ll come.”

“Of course it will,” Evan took a biscuit from the plate. “You’ll be an awesome big brother soon enough, eh bud?” Evan said, looking to Leo who was staring at him from behind drinking his sippy cup. “I’ll take that silence as a yes.” Evan mumbled before taking a bit of the biscuit.

“Hopefully once Finn interacts with little man more then he’ll copy,” James said. “Right now I just think he’s trying to work out what he’s supposed to do with him.” Everyone was staring at Leo, who was looking down at Caden as he was still drinking from his sippy cup.

“Well he is definitely not there yet,” Ruby laughed. “Look at his eyes. He looks really mad.” Ruby laughed again as she continued to look at Leo and hoped for everyone’s sake he’d come around to his little brother soon enough.

Charlie looked at the photos on the dresser in her bedroom. She exhaled lightly as she picked one up, this one being of Brax and the boys on one of their many trips to the beach. She ran her hand over the top before putting it down, looking to the frame next to it, this one being a photo of Ruby and Georgia from Georgia’s 4th birthday party. Across the other side of the dresser was a photo of a newly born Emmi. Charlie traced her eyes over the photos of her family again before she took a deep breath, walking into the en-suite where Brax was bathing the girls. “Ma.” Emmi splashed her hands against the water.

“Hey buttercup,” Charlie cooed down at her daughter. “You having fun in the tub?”

Emmi continued to splash as Georgia was having some playtime, playing with her mermaid Barbie happily. “Eee yaa yee yaa yaa.” Emmi babbled as she splashed again.

“So,” Charlie looked down to Brax who was leaning over the tub watching his girls. “Would you treat me as an employee or as an equal partner?” Charlie questioned. Brax furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he looked up at his wife. “If I were to come and work at the restaurant.” Charlie murmured.

“Oh,” Brax widened his eyes, trying not to look to excited just yet, Charlie of course only questioning it. “An equal partner of course,” Brax told her. “You’d be just as much the boss as I am.” Brax said.

Charlie pursed her lips, glancing to the girls before looking back to Brax. “I don’t know how to work in a restaurant,” Charlie exhaled. “Being a cop is all I know. I....” Charlie trailed off as she looked downwards.

“I can show you,” Brax told her. “If Heath was able to do it then it’ll be a breeze for you,” Brax stifled a laugh. “And I know how much you love being a police officer but just think of it like you’ve had like what, 18 years of being a cop?” Brax questioned. “That’s a long time.”

“Well I didn’t automatically become an officer when I turned 18,” Charlie replied. “I had training and stuff but yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “But are you sure you want to work with me?” Charlie questioned. “We already live together are you sure we should work together too? Most people go to work to get time away from their partner.”

Brax stifled a laugh. “We don’t have to work every shift the same. In the beginning when I am training you yeah but then we can work some days different,” Brax told her. “But if I was with you 24/7 for the rest of my life I wouldn’t complain,” Brax gave her a grin. “You are gorgeous and lovely and sweet and kind and caring and a great mother,” Brax told her. “I’d have no problems always being with you,” Brax stood up and rubbed his thumb over her hand. “So, you’ll come work with me?” Brax questioned.

Charlie pursed her lips as she once again looked to the girls, Georgia making her mermaid Barbie swim around under the water as Emmi followed it with her eyes. “I’m considering it,” Charlie told him, Brax’s face lighting up at the news. “I love my job. Not as much as I love my family, nothing will ever come close but, I.....well, it’s still a tough decision.”

“I know it will be.” Brax told her, leaning forward and placing a kiss on her forehead. “Just take your time.” Brax said, not wanting to rush Charlie, especially now when it seemed like she was considering leaving the force.

Bianca was taking items from the cupboard and placing them on the kitchen worktop. She looked to the packets of pasta, rice, noodles and condiments, rubbing the back of her head as he pursed her lips. “Mum, what are you doing?” Bianca looked behind her as she saw Kaya standing in the doorway to the kitchen. Bianca had sent her to get bathed and ready for bed and in her absence she’d started to think about when Heath came home and that he wouldn’t be able to reach the higher up cupboards any more.

“Uhm, just sorting out the cupboards,” Bianca told her. “You have a nice bath?”

“Yeah.” Kaya nodded as she walked over to her mother, her face looking a little sad.

“You been crying cupcake?” Bianca tucked her hair behind her ear as she saw her cheeks were tearstained.

“I broke dad,” Kaya’s voice broke as fresh tears rolled down her cheek. “I really sorry.”

“Aww sweetie,” Bianca pulled her daughter into a hug. “You didn’t break dad. This was just a terrible accident.”

“But you said,” Kaya sniffed back. “You said it was because of me he got hurt.”

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “I told you I didn’t mean what I said,” Bianca pulled back from the hug and bent down to Kaya’s level. “I was just hurt and sad and worried about dad. Sometimes that can make people say silly things,” Bianca spoke softly as she wiped the tears from her daughter’s cheek. “But listen to me,” Bianca made sure her daughter had eye contact with her. “This was just an accident and nobody blames you, okay?” Bianca told her. Kaya stayed quiet as she bowed her head. “Okay?” Bianca said again, pushing lightly on her daughters chin so she was looking her in the face again. Kaya gave a little shrug mumbling something that Bianca didn’t quite make out. “You’ll have to speak louder.” Bianca rubbed her arm as she spoke.

“So he never really will walk again?” Kaya questioned.

“They don’t think so,” Bianca answered. “But dad not’s going to let that stop him, is he?” Bianca questioned, Kaya pursing her lips as she thought about it before shaking her head. “Look, how about you go through to the living room and I’ll get you some supper?” Bianca questioned, Kaya giving a little nod before she turned and walked away to the living room. Bianca took a deep breath before standing up straight again, walking over to the bread bin and getting the bread out before putting two slices in the toaster. She took another deep breath as her hand her gently rubbed over her stomach, wondering how easy it would be with a new baby if Heath was still in a wheelchair.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Laura, Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sarah for the comments.

one hundred and seventy-two

A couple of days later and Heath was well enough to come home from the hospital. Thankfully the house they lived in didn’t have stairs, so it wouldn’t be that hard for him to get around the place, or at least, a little easier considering he didn’t have stairs to contend it. Bianca pulled the car up into the drive, switching the engine off before looking round to Heath. “So this is it,” Heath sighed. “The start of my new life.”

We’ll be fine.” Bianca squeezed his hand.

“Will we?” Heath questioned. “How am I supposed too....” Heath trailed off. “And now you’re having a baby and I....” Heath shook his head.

“We get through this,” Bianca told him. “We’ll cope fine,” Bianca assured him, of course having to stay positive for his sake. “Now, your girls dying to see you so how about we go inside?” Bianca questioned. Heath took a deep breath before he nodded. Bianca got out the car and walked over to the boot, lifting it open and taking out Heath’s wheelchair. She opened it up before closing the boot and pushing it over to Heath’s side of the car, opening the door as Heath took his seatbelt off. Lifting his legs with his one good arm – the other of course being in a plaster cast – he swung them round so they were out of the car. Bianca helped him get up to standing before getting him into the chair.

“How are we going to do this when you get bigger?” Heath sounded annoyed.

“We’ll cope,” Bianca told him again as she closed the car door and locked it shut. “Don’t stress.” Bianca put her hands onto the handles of the wheelchair and pushed Heath forward.

“Stop,” Heath told her. “I want do to this myself,” Heath put his one good arm onto the wheel and rolled it forward, the wheelchair turning to the side a little. He moved his broken arm and tried to turn the wheel but screamed as a pain shot through his arm. “Fu -”

“Heath babe just let me push you in.” Bianca put her hands on the wheelchair handles again.

“No,” Heath barked. “I want to do it myself.”

“But you can’t -” Bianca bit her lip, stopping herself from finishing the sentence. “Right now with your broken arm, you don’t need to try to do it yourself. Just let me help you until your arm is better.” Bianca walked round to the front of his wheelchair and bent down.

Heath sighed, not happy that he needed to ask her for help. “Only until then.” Heath spoke quietly, admitting defeat right now.

“This will be so much easier if you let me help. We’ll get through this together.” Bianca lightly rubbed his cheek as she spoke.

“Hmmm.” Heath gave a little nod. He didn’t look so sure. He didn’t look like he wanted to have to get help from his fiancée to do the most simplest of tasks but knew deep that maybe he didn’t have a choice.

Charlie was standing in the bathroom, looking at herself in the mirror, wearing only her underwear. She pursed her lips as she ran her hand over her gunshot wound. “What you doing?” Brax questioned as he walked into the bathroom, smiling down at Emmi who was standing up, her little arms wrapped around Charlie’s leg.

“Who?” Charlie questioned. “Me or Buttercup?” Charlie looked down to Emmi – who was only in a nappy – before looking back to Brax.

“You,” Brax answered. “And her nickname is Pickles. Stop trying to get Buttercup in there.”

“I am not calling her Pickles,” Charlie answered. “But I....” Charlie pursed her lips, her hand still touching her wound as she looked up at Brax. “Georgia want to go to the pool in Yabbie Creek. You know the one with the flumes.”

“I see,” Brax gave a little nod. “Well you should give her your wish.” Brax walked further into the room as he spoke. Charlie and the girls were having a girls’ day and Brax was taking the boys out for some male bonding time.

“I want too. I just....” Charlie looked down and Brax followed her gaze, knowing she was conscious about her wound.

“No one is going to be looking at you.” Brax said, his thumb rubbing over it.

“Gee thanks.” Charlie exhaled.

“No I just meant,” Brax pursed his lips. “Everyone will be too busy looking at this gorgeous face to be looking at your stomach to see the wound.” Brax told her, leaning in a placing a soft kiss on her lips. Emmi was staring up at her parents, and started babbling as she hit her hand against Charlie’s leg.

“Nice save,” Charlie mumbled before she bent down and lifted Emmi into her arms. “You want to go swimming baby?” Charlie questioned, Emmi getting an open mouthed grin on her face, showing off the few teeth she had.

“I think that is a yes,” Brax said as he tickled Emmi’s cheek with his index finger. “Speaking of yeses,” Brax spoke tentatively as he looked back to Charlie. “Do you have an answer for me yet?” Charlie knew Brax was talking about the job at the restaurant.

“No.” Charlie answered, putting Emmi back on the floor. Emmi took some steps towards the door before falling on her bottom, bum shuffling herself towards the door before she put her hands on the doorframe and pulled herself back up to standing.

“No you don’t have an answer or no you don’t want to work at the restaurant?” Brax questioned, rubbing the back of his head as he spoke. It had been a couple of days since they talked and Brax had hoped for an answer by now. Of course with Heath not being injured he was going to need to look for other staff anyways.

“I’ve not made up my mind yet.” Charlie answered as she walked through to the bedroom, Brax following after her and taking Emmi’s little hands in his, helping her walk after her mother, much to Emmi’s delight. Charlie opened the wardrobe and pulled out a pair of red skinny jeans and put them on before putting on a plain white t-shirt. She lifted up her white converse and walked over to her dresser, opening the drawer and taking out a pair of trainer socks before walking over to the bed and taking a seat putting on her socks and shoes.

“Mmmm ma.” Emmi bent her knees up and down as she look up to her father, Brax still standing over her as her little hands were gripped in his. Brax let go of Emmi and she unsteadily walked over to her mother.

“Okay well, just let me know when you have.” Brax told her.

“Of course,” Charlie answered, lifting Emmi into her arms as she stood up. “Now Buttercup let’s go see if this big sister of yours is ready to go swimming.” Charlie said, walking out of the room with Emmi in her arms.

April was in the living room with her boys. James was setting up a cot for Mia in the nursery, after the news she was strong enough to hold, they got excited and went out to buy another cot, of course Mia going to need a place to sleep when she came home. “Can one of your boys pass mummy the baby wash?” April questioned. Caden was getting a bath in a little green baby bath tub. She put the sponge in the water and squeezed it over her son’s stomach. She’d asked the boys in hope they’d start to help more with Caden, Finn especially after the little talk she had with him. Finn looked up from playing a game with Leo, before crawling over to near to April, picking up the baby wash and handing it out to her. “Can you open if for mummy?” April questioned, Finn giving a little nod as he undid the cap. “Put some on here.” Finn squeezed some onto the sponge and watched as April put it under the water before gently washing her baby.

“What on his belly?” Finn questioned, staring down at his baby brother.

“It’s just a little bit of umbilical cord,” April told him, Finn screwing his face up as April realised he wouldn’t have a clue what an umbilical cord was. “When he is in my tummy he is attached to me by this cord.” April explained.

“But I don’t have that.” Finn pulled his t-shirt up and looked at his belly button.

“No,” April gave a little laugh. “It will fall off soon.”

“Oh,” Finn‘s mouth was a big O shape. “Will it hurt him?” Finn questioned, sounding a little concerned for his baby brother.

“Nah,” April shook head as she looked to the side, seeing Leo crawling over to them. “Alright bud, you here to help mummy?” April questioned.

“No.” Leo answered as he sat down next to the tub, staring at Caden, looking almost angry.

“Leo it’s nice to help mummy,” Finn said, picking up the baby shampoo bottle. “You need this?” Finn asked, looking up at his mother.

“Soon.” April nodded as she very gently stared to wet the little tuft of blond locks Caden had.

“Mamma,” Leo whined as he pulled on her arm. “Mamma me.” Leo cuddled into April’s side.

“Leo,” April spoke softly. “Mamma is bathing Caden.” April told him.

“No.” Leo squealed as he threw himself to the floor and started screaming as he kicked his arms and legs out, thumping them against the floor. April knew it was important to do what she always did when Leo had a tantrum, even before the twins arrived and just ignore it, that being the quickest way to get Leo to stop. She took a deep breath as she told Finn to put a little shampoo onto Caden’s head, hoping that Leo would get used to Caden being around soon but couldn’t help but wonder if it would only get worse when Mia came home, because then there wouldn’t be just one new baby in the house, there would be two.

Thanks for the comments.

one hundred and seventy-three

Heath was sitting in his wheelchair as Kaya was on the couch, a red felt tip pen in her hand as she was signing his cast for about the 10th time. “You would be comfier sitting on the couch,” Bianca said as she walked over and put the drinks down on the coffee table for Kaya and Heath before handing Jessica her bottle, Jessica happily feeding herself. “Let me help you.” Bianca leaned down and touched Heath’s arm, Heath shrugging back.

“No,” Heath shouted startling both girls into giving little jumps. He saw the look Bianca was giving him and exhaled lightly. “I’m fine here, that’s all.” Heath murmured, leaning forward and picking up his glass to take a drink.

“Okay,” Bianca exhaled as she sat down on the couch next to Kaya, watching her as she drew a picture on Heath’s cast. “What you drawing there?” Bianca questioned.

“Bella,” Kaya answered, giving the bunny a fluffy tail. “And that’s the sun and that’s my name and that’s a star and some hearts.” Kaya pointed to all the different drawing she’s done.

“Da.” Heath looked down as Jessica had crawled over to his wheelchair, her hand going onto his leg. It broke Heath’s heart that he couldn’t feel her cute little hand on his shin. He took a deep breath before leaning down, and with his good arm, scooping Jessica up onto his knee, the bottle of milk dangling from her mouth. He placed a soft kiss on her temple as she cuddled into him and continued drinking her bottle.

“How about after this drink we go into town?” Bianca questioned. “Maybe treat the girls to some cake from the diner?”

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “I’m good staying here.”

“Aww dad,” Kaya moaned. “We should go for cake.” Kaya’s eyes lit up, Kaya clearly liking her mother’s suggestion.

“You, mum and Bumblebee can go for cake,” Heath answered. “But I don’t want to go.” Heath sounded sad as he spoke.

“Dad,” Kaya sighed. “You have to come too. We should all go together.” Kaya gave a sad pout. Heath looked into her eyes, seeing sadness.

“I’m sorry. I don’t want to go out.” Heath told her, his lips pursing as he looked away from Kaya’s gaze.

“Heath,” Bianca spoke softly. “Let’s keep things the same, yeah?” Bianca spoke quietly. “We can still do things like we used too.”

“Can we?” Heath questioned. “Can I surf? Can I work? Hmm? How am I supposed to get up the stairs to do a shift at the restaurant?” Heath asked, his voice getting louder. “How am I meant to take the girls swimming or run around with them in the garden? Hmmm, answer me that Bianca. Go on, answer me.” Heath sounded, Jessica’s eyes widening as she looked up to her father.

“Dad don’t be so angry.” Kaya sounded like she was about to burst into tears as she stood up from the couch and ran off to her bedroom, the door slamming loudly shut. Bianca looked to Heath, her head shaking lightly. She could only imagine how hard this must be for him but hated that he’d already seemed to have given up even trying. She exhaled lightly as she stood to her feet and walked down the hall to Kaya’s bedroom.

Georgia stuck the straw into her juice box and took a drink, Charlie watching her as she kept drinking and drinking and drinking. “God Gee you must be a thirsty little lady.” Charlie said, Georgia shaking her juice box, showing her mother it was nearly finished.

“Lots of swimming,” Georgia answered. Georgia had had a blast in the water and coming down the slides. “So much fun,” Georgia said as she moved her hair from in front of her face. “Did Pickles have fun?”

“I think she did,” Charlie ran her hand through Emmi’s hair as she sat in the high chair next to her mother. “You enjoyed being in the pool, huh?” Charlie questioned, Emmi looking up to her with her big green eyes going all wide as she babbled excitedly.

“Can we go again after lunch?” Georgia questioned, giving her mother a pleading look.

“Not today sweetie,” Charlie told her, Georgia giving a frown. “We’ll come back soon though okay?” Charlie said, Georgia giving a little nod before she looked around the eating area of the swimming complex.

“I’m hungry.” Georgia sighed, banging her hand off the table.

“Lunch will come soon,” Charlie said, smiling down at her beautiful little girl. “Mummy loves you so much, you know that?” Charlie ran her hand over Georgia’s hair as she spoke.

“Yeah,” Georgia giggled. “Love you too mummy.”

Charlie glanced at Emmi who was giving herself a drink from her bottle. She smiled to herself before looking back to Georgia. “I wonder what daddy and the boys are up to today. “ Charlie exhaled.

“Dying.” Georgia suggested.

“Georgia,” Charlie was a little disturbed by her daughters comment. “Don’t say things like that. They won’t be dying.”

Georgia sighed as she sucked up the last of her juice box. “Well then maybe surfing or on the skateboards,” Georgia suggested. “Or no,” Georgia squealed almost jumping out of the chair. “They’ll be chasing ehm....worms with uhm...” Georgia scratched the side of her head. “Sticks and spoons.”

“Chasing worms with sticks and spoons?” Charlie laughed at her daughter’s imagination. “Oh Georgia you are your fathers daughter.” Charlie mumbled as Georgia giggled. Charlie once again smiled at herself, knowing she never wanted to miss moments like this with any of her kids.

Brax had taken the boys to an outdoor adventure park about a 40 minute drive from the bay. After some mountain biking and zip slides they’d decided to go to the cafe to get some lunch. “You boys having fun?” Brax questioned as they took a seat to eat their lunch.

“Yeah,” Kobe beamed. “The zip slides were so much fun. Can we do it again after lunch?” Kobe wondered as he pierced the straw into his juice box.

“No Kobe,” Daniel answered. “We are doing the tree top adventure after lunch.”

“What’s that?” Kobe widened his eyes as he looked up to his brother.

“Well be up on the tree tops,” Daniel explained. “We do zip slides and Tarzan ropes and walk over bridges and like stepping stone pole thingys,” Daniel scrunched his face up. “It’ll be cool.”

“Yeah,” Kobe grinned. “Are you doing it too daddy?” Kobe wondered as he looked t Brax.

“Of course,” Brax answered. “I’m not going to let you two have all the fun.” Brax said, putting a little salt on his chips before picking up a few and stuffing them into his mouth.

“This day is better than the girls’ swimming,” Daniel curled his nose. “We can swim anytime because we have a pool at home,” Daniel said. “This place is a proper treat.”

“Yeah but there’s no flumes at home,” Kobe defended the girls’ choice of day out, or rather, Georgia’s choice. “And they are fun.” Kobe dipped his chicken nugget into the tomato ketchup before taking a bite.

“I guess,” Daniel murmured. “But I’d still rather be here.” Daniel said as he took a drink of his juice.

“Well it’s a good job you are called Daniel then and not Danielle huh?” Brax said, the boys giggling.

“Let’s hurry to eat lunch,” Kobe exhaled. “I want to go do the tree top adverture.” Kobe said, dipping his chicken nugget into the tomato ketchup before taking a bit, Brax smiling as she saw the look on his boys’ faces, loving that they were having such a good day out with him.

James was having some cuddle time with Mia. They’d been surprised to see that the CPAP was gone when they went to visit their daughter. Kate came straight over to them as they arrived, explaining that her lungs no longer required the pressure from the CPAP to stay open but that Mia still needed that little bit more oxygen in her bloodstream, so was now wearing a Nasal Prong which were two little tubes up her nose to feed her that little bit extra oxygen she still needed. “Oh little lady daddy is going to spoil you rotten,” James cooed. “You’re going to have me wrapped around your little finger, aren’t you?” James spoke softly as he gazed into his daughter’s big brown eyes.

“She sure will,” April smiled down at her daughter as Caden was fast asleep in her arms. Right now, Mia was awake and April was worried about when she came home, the twins clearly getting used to different routines. “Just as long as she’s not too much of a little daddy’s girl,” April said. “She’s my only little princess too.”

“I’m sure you and mummy will have lots of awesome mother daughter days huh?” James questioned, the love on his face as he looked at his baby daughter very evident for everyone to see. “Days at the Spa and the getting your hair done and your nails,” James suggested. “Nice girly days.”

“What if she is a tomboy?” April questioned.

“What makes you think she’ll be a tomboy?” James wondered.

“Well she has 3 older brothers,” April exhaled. “What if they lure her into cars and superheroes and making mud pies and digging for worms and fighting?” April questioned.

James gave a little laugh. “I was under the impression most little kids liked mud pies and digging for worms,” James answered. “And if that is the case then you’ll just have to get down and dirty with the little lady.” James gave a cheeky grin.

“Of course,” April answered. “I’ll do anything she wants me too.” April said, staring down lovingly at her baby girl, hoping it wasn’t much longer before she got to come home.

Thanks for the comments.

one hundred and seventy-four

Charlie and the girls walked into the house to find Brax and the boys were already home, having turned the living room into a huge fort. “Hey boys,” Charlie put Emmi down on the floor, Emmi clutching tightly onto hippo. She grinned as she walked forward towards Brax who was sitting in the fort with the boys, enjoying some milk and cookies. “How was your day?” Charlie questioned, her eyes watching Emmi as she walked unsteadily to her father.

“Awesome.” Daniel answered.

“Mines was better,” Georgia stuck her tongue out at her brothers. “We swimmed then shopped and I got a new dress.” Geogia pulled the dress from the bag was carrying.

“Aww that is pretty Gee.” Brax said as he caught Emmi as she fell into him.

“Pickles got new stuff too.” Georgia said, once again sticking her tongue out at her brothers.

“Did you get us anything?” Daniel questioned as Charlie crawled into the fort.

“You had a day out with dad,” Charlie told him. “It was up to him to spoil you today.” Charlie said, Daniel giving a sad pout upon hearing his mother hadn’t bought him anything.

“Well we still had the best day,” Kobe smiled. “At the adventure park,” Kobe said before taking a drink of his milk, watching his little sister as she reached for a cookie, Emmi very much liking the look of them.

“You can’t.” Georgia gasped, pulling the plate away from her Emmi pouting sadly as she looked up to her daddy.

“I’m afraid Gee is right,” Brax told her. “They’re too hard for you to eat. You need to grow more teeth first hmm?” Brax lightly rubbed Emmi’s cheek as she spoke.

“Daddy,” Georgia patted his thigh. “Mummy got her some dresses.”

“Aww cute little dresses for Pickles?” Brax questioned, glancing at Charlie.

“No,” Georgia slapped her forehead. “Mummy got dresses for mummy.”

“Oh,” Brax gave a nod of understanding. “I didn’t realise this was a treat yourself day too,” Brax joked. “I thought it was just for the kids.”

Charlie raised her eyebrows as she pulled them from the bag, showing Brax the two simple black dresses. “Well I thought I should get something to wear for when I start work in the restaurant.” Charlie said, Brax widening his eyes at what he’d just heard.

“You mean you’re coming to work for me?” Brax sounded ecstatic.

“I’m coming to work with you,” Charlie told him. “Remember you said I was going to be a partner not an employee.”

“Yeah yeah sorry.” Brax leaned forward and softly kissed her lips.

“Eugh,” They pulled back as they heard a sound of disgust from Daniel, the 11 year old clearly at the stage where seeing your parents kiss just isn’t on anymore.

“It just a kiss,” Georgia told him, crawling over to her big brother and leaning up, kissing his cheek. “See.”

“Georgia.” Daniel moaned as he wiped his hands across his cheek as Kobe giggled.

“So you are really going to work in the restaurant?” Daniel questioned, Charlie giving a little nod at her son’s question. “That’s cool. It’s safer for you and means you won’t get shot again so will always be here for us.”

“I am bud,” Charlie smiled. “Mum gets to tell dad what to do in the workplace now as well as at home.” Charlie joked as she gave Brax a cheeky grin.

“Now now remember you just said you are coming to work with me,” Brax said. “No one gets to boss anyone around.” Brax told her, Charlie still looking at Brax with a cheeky grin on her face. Brax smiled lightly at her, so pleased with the news she was going to come to work at the restaurant.

Heath was in the bathroom staring at the two bar that was coming out from the wall at the side of the toilet. “Bianca,” Heath shouted out to her. “Bianca, get in here.”

“What’s wrong?” Bianca walked into the bathroom, seeing Heath still in his wheelchair, staring at the toilet. “Do you need help?”

“No,” Heath barked, biting her head off. “What the hell is this?” Heath said, pointing to the bar.

“It’s just there to help you.” Bianca told him, seeing Heath gaze had moved to the shower, where a seat had been fitted.

“Are you serious right now?” Heath spat, pointing over to the shower. “I’m not some old coffin dodger.”

“No but you’re in a wheelchair,” Bianca retorted. “As much as we hate to admit it you don’t have use of your legs so I am sorry but these are just things you need.”

“I can’t believe you got all this without asking me first,” Heath roared. “How dare you, Bianca?” Heath glared up at her, anger very evident on his face.

“I....” Bianca pursed her lips. “I’m sorry but I think you know deep down at you need these.”

“I don’t need you treating me like I am some kind of invalid,” Heath spat. “Get out. I need to pee.”

Bianca pursed her lips as she bowed her head a little. “Do you want me to help you?” Bianca offered.

Heath sniggered. “No. No I don’t. Now get out.” Bianca pursed her lips as she did as Heath had requested and left the bathroom. She took a deep breath as she tried to stay composed. She knew right now Heath was just angry but she already didn’t like the way he was beginning to treat her.

Charlie was in the en-suite, brushing her teeth as Brax walked in and walked up behind her, wrapping his arm around her stomach as he kissed the crook on her neck. “You are happy with the choice you made, right?” Charlie spat into the sink before putting her toothbrush down and turned to face him.

She nodded her head as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I don’t want to miss out on my kids growing up,” Charlie told him. “I’m their mum and they need me. Being a police officer was a big part of my life and I loved it, but I love the kids so so much more and I’d give up anything for them.” Charlie told Brax, Brax smiling as he placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“So you just love the kids?” Brax questioned.

“There’s this guy,” Charlie said. “He’s always hanging around with us,” Charlie teased him. “He’s alright too I guess.” A grin was etching on Charlie’s face as she tried not to laugh.

“Just alright hey?” Brax raised his eyebrows as he leaned in, like he was about to kiss her. Charlie puckered up before Brax pulled himself back from her.

“Hey.” Charlie pouted sadly.

“You shouldn’t be kissing guys who are just alright.” Now Brax was doing the teasing.

“Well what if I told you I think this guy was more than alright?” Charlie questioned. “What if I said he was handsome and sweet and an amazing father and uhm....” Charlie trailed off as she raised her eyebrows. “Just.....wow in bed?”

“I’d say you are only saying that to get into my pants.” Brax grinned, Charlie gasping in offence.

“I would never say such a thing,” Charlie shook her head as she moved forward, her arms wrapping around him again. “Besides, since when have you ever said no to sex?” Charlie questioned as she placed a soft kiss on lips.

“Well yes,” Brax cocked his head to the side a little. “You feeling okay for sex?” Brax questioned, his hand going over her singlet where her shot wound was. Charlie just nodded in response before she kissed him again, Brax leading Charlie out of the bathroom and over to their bed.

April put Caden down in the moses basket before walking over to the bed and slipping under the covers. She’d barely got herself comfy when Leo gave a little cry through the baby monitor. “I can go if you want?” James offered as he made to get out of bed.

“Mamma.” They heard Leo’s little voice from the baby monitor.

“I think I need to go,” April said, getting out of bed and walking through to Leo’s room. “Hey buddy it’s not like you to wake up through the night,” April said, looking into the cot to see Leo was standing up, trying to break free. He grinned as he saw his mother, holding his arms up to her. April lifted him up into a hug, holding onto her tightly. “You just want a hug from mamma?” April questioned as she sat down on the chair in the room.

“Mamma.” Leo said again as he cuddled into her. April rubbed his back, giving Leo this one on one time he was obviously craving.

“Mummy is here sweetie,” April told him. “And she still loves you very much,” April rubbed his back as she spoke. “You don’t need to feel threatened.” April said, leaning her head down and placing kiss on his head, Leo of course not liking little Caden’s arrival to the family. “You’ll be the best of friends with Caden when he is older. I know it.” April said before falling silent, just enjoying the cuddle time with little Leo.

one hundred and seventy-five

Bianca and Charlie had met at the diner for a catch up. Jessica and Emmi had come along with them, Emmi sitting on Bianca’s knee and Jessica was having cuddles with Auntie Charlie. “So, how you feeling?” Bianca questioned, moving Emmi a little on her knee, Emmi clutching onto hippo.

“I’m fine,” Charlie answered, her hand running over Jessica’s blonde curls. “How’s Heath?”

“He’s...” Bianca clicked her tongue. “He’s uhm.....”Bianca exhaled.

“It’ll get easier,” Charlie told her. Bianca didn’t really need to say anything for her to know how it would be right now. “It’s all still very new right now.”

“Yeah,” Bianca cleared her throat. “He’s just very angry right now,” Bianca exhaled. “I can’t begin to imagine how hard this is for him but being angry isn’t going to change it. It’s not....” Bianca trailed off. “He didn’t want to leave the house yesterday and he doesn’t want to go out today either,” Bianca told her friend. “I don’t want him turning into a recluse.”

“He won’t,” Charlie assured her. “I think a few days like this is allowed after what he has to deal with now,” Charlie told her. “Heath isn’t one to lie back and admit defeat. He will come back fighting.”

“Yeah yeah you are right,” Bianca said. “And it’s important not only for himself but the girls too that he does.” Bianca ran her hand over her stomach. She was sure if Charlie knew about the pregnancy she would have said something by now, so was sure Brax hadn’t said anything. She was early, only just turned 4 weeks so wasn’t about to share it with anyone else, even Charlie just yet.

“And for you,” Charlie told her friend. “Don’t forget about yourself either.”

“I won’t,” Bianca murmured. “So,” Bianca was keen to change the subject. “When do you do back to work?”

“I’m not,” Charlie shook her head. “Well no, I am going back to work, just not as a police officer,” Charlie said, Bianca widening her eyes a little in surprise. “I’m going to work with Brax at the restaurant.”

“Ah wow,” Bianca was shocked. She didn’t think Charlie would ever leave the force. “Uhm....that’s something different.”

“I know,” Charlie pursed her lips. “But the events of last week could have gone so differently and I...I need to be here for my kids growing up.”

“Of course,” Bianca agreed. “Bet Brax is happy.”

“Yeah,” Charlie said. “And you know I felt really sad about going back to work and leave like Emmi boo,” Charlie exhaled. “I guess when you become a mum priorities change. Who knows, maybe I’ll only work part time and just enjoy getting to be with the kids more.”

“Sounds good to me,” Bianca said. “Although I think I will have to go back to work now,” Bianca was originally going to wait till Jessica was a year old but given the new circumstances with Heath, she’d probably need to return to work sooner than she’s hoped. “Not like Heath can go back to the restaurant is it?” Bianca questioned.

“I dunno,” Charlie shrugged. “I’m sure Brax would still find stuff he could go.”

“The restaurant is up the stairs Charlie,” Bianca sighed. “How is he going to get up there?”

Charlie pursed her lips. “Good point,” Charlie said looking around to see if there were any signs of their orders coming, for it had been a while since they’d ordered. “But maybe he’ll find work somewhere else. An office type job.”

“I don’t think Heath would want to do that.” Bianca stifled a laugh, hoping that Heath would indeed still wish to find some sort of job.

“Chicken soup,” Evan said as he walked into his bedroom, the soup, bread and water on the tray he was carrying. “Does wonders for the sick.” Evan gave Ruby a smile as she sat up in the bed, just in time as Evan put the tray down over her knees. He sat next to where she was sitting, placing a soft kiss on her temple. Ruby had had a banging headache and had been vomiting since yesterday afternoon. She’d spent the night at Evan’s apartment, not really having the strength to go home, but also because two people in that house were in remission for cancer so would get sick easier and little Emmi was still so young that she’d pick up bugs easier too.

“You actually made this?” Ruby looked into the bowl as Evan nodded.

“Might make you even more sick but I tried.” Evan stifled a laugh as Ruby picked up the spoon and dipped it into the soup. She paused for a moment before lifting the spoon up to her mouth and taking a mouthful.

“It’s okay.” Ruby put the spoon down into the soup and picked up the slice of bread. She tore a small piece off and dipped it into the soup before bringing it to her mouth as Evan felt her forehead.

“Don’t sound that sure,” Evan laughed before he left her forehead. She was hot and clammy. “You’re pretty hot.”

“I’m cold,” Ruby shivered as she spoke, dipping another piece of bread into the soup. “You don’t have to sit with me.” Ruby told him, taking a drink of her water.

“Gee thanks. Don’t you want my company?” Evan questioned.

“Well yeah,” Ruby tucked her hair behind her ear. “But I don’t want to make you sick too.”

“Don’t you worry about me,” Evan told her. “My main concern right now is being with you until you are better,” Evan said, leaning in and placing soft kiss on her temple. “So eat this up,” Evan tapped the tray and Ruby took another mouthful of the soup. “Then I’ll get you some vitamins.”

“Ah I see we are Doctor Butler today are we?” Ruby questioned and Evan gave a little nod.

“Indeed,” Evan nodded. “Besides we know your mum would want me to look after you,” Evan told her.

“True,” Ruby ate some more soup before screwing her face up as he patted her chest. “I think I’m going to be sick.” Ruby tried to lift the tray, before she gagged. Evan shot up from the bed, lifting the tray up, letting Ruby get up. She ran from the room and made it to the bathroom just in time, throwing up as soon as she got to the toilet. Evan walked in behind her and lifted her hair back, holding it with one hand as he rubbed her back with his other.

April was sitting on the couch, Caden feeding from her. James had gone to the supermarket to get some groceries as the cupboards were pretty bare and Finn had accompanied him. Leo elected to stay with mamma and was currently pulling everything out of the toy box. “What you looking for bud?” April questioned, hoping Leo wasn’t just pulling every single toy and book out just because.

“Yeah.” Leo answered, laying the jigsaw box on the floor before reaching to the box again.

“Yeah?” April questioned. “You’re looking for yeah?”

“Yeah,” Leo said again, April stifling a laugh. “Ooooh,” Leo gasped, April thinking he must have found what he was looking for. He turned around and April saw he had a book in his hand. He walked over to the couch and snuggled as close to April as he could get without actually sitting on her knee. “Mamma.” Leo hit his little hand against the book.

“Ah you want me to read to you?” April questioned, running her free hand through his hair.

“Book.” Leo said before he opened it up.

“A is for Apple,” April read the first page. “Can you say apple?”

Leo grinned up at his mother. “Abble,” Leo pointed to the apple on the page before he turned it, looking to the next picture. “Oh,” Leo gasped, seeing the big red ball on the page. “Ball.” Leo already knew this one.

“Yeah great job buddy,” April ran her hand through his hair again, before glancing a Caden who’d stopped feeding from her. She lightly rubbed his cheek before he started feeding again. “And what’s this one?” April questioned, seeing if he knew without telling him.

“Uh,” Leo scratched the side of his head. “Abble.” Leo grinned looking to up at her.

“No,” April laughed. “That’s a cat. Can you say cat?”

“Caaaat,” Leo said, dragging out the A sound. “Caaaat.”

“You are such a clever boy,” April said as Leo turned the page, excited to see what was on the other side. “Ah what’s this?” April questioned, looking at the duck picture. “That’s a duck. Can you say duck?”

“Quack quack.” Leo made a duck sound.

“Ah wow yeah that’s what a duck says,” April beamed. “How did mummy get such a clever little boy?” April questioned, pinching Leo’s cheek as he giggled.

“Baby,” Leo said, pointing to Caden as he fed. “Baby Caen.” Leo shot his hand out and April flinched a little, wondering what Leo was going to do.

“Gently,” April told him, not about to stop him from interacting with the baby. “Good boy.” April smiled as Leo gently patted Caden’s hand. April smiled at her son, happy it seemed he was finally getting used to Caden being around.

Thank you for the comments. :) Feel free to check out my new fic; True Love.

one hundred and seventy-six

Mia had been taken off the nasal prong but they wanted to keep her in hospital for a couple more days, just to make sure that she was okay, and now at two weeks old, April and James were ecstatic to hear she was well enough to go home. April put a clean nappy on her daughter before dressing her in a pair of pink dungarees with a flower on the front and a white t-shirt for underneath, it of course being July 1st, so it was the middle of winter and April didn’t want her being cold in a little dress. The dungaree suit was for ‘tiny baby’ but even then there was room for Mia to grow into it. “Aww Princess you ready to come home and see your big brothers and Nana Reen and Gamma?” April lifted Mia up into her arms, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. “Finn is very excited that you are coming home,” April cooed. “Leo.....” April pursed her lips. “Well he is trying to get used to Caden being around so I am not sure what your arrival at home will do,” April mustered a laugh. “Aww my little lady.” April’s heart was melting as she looked to her daughter.

“You all ready to go?” James questioned, lightly rocking Caden’s car seat as he gave a little whimper.

“Yeah,” April placed Mia in the car seat. She wished she could carry her baby daughter out but it was hospital policy that they left in the car seat. “Let’s get this little one home.” April and James once again thanked Kate and the nurses. They’d bought flowers and chocolates for Kate and a box for the rest of the nurses, Kate of course being their daughter’s main carer while she was in the NICU. They walked out of the hospital and over to their new car. Of course with having four children now they needed to get a bigger vehicle to carry all their family at once. After making sure that the car seats were securely fastened to the seat, April got into the car, choosing to sit in the back in-between her twins. James got into the driver’s side and carefully drove home so Mia could finally join the rest of her family.

“Dad can you play on the Wii with me?” Kaya questioned, looking up from colouring at the coffee table.

“No.” Heath replied. He was sitting on the couch, doing something on his laptop.

Kaya pouted sadly. “Please dad,” Kaya pleased. “You just always sit there and play on that stupid laptop when you could be playing with me.”

“I said no.” Heath raised his voice, Jessica jumping in fright from where she was sitting on the floor, playing with her toys looking highly frustrated that she couldn’t get the circle shaped object into the star shaped space.

“Dad.” Kaya moaned as Bianca came into the room from the kitchen – where she had been making much – as she heard the raised voices.

“What’s going on?” Bianca could see her eldest daughter looked like she was on the brink of tears.

“Dad won’t play anymore,” Kaya sniffed back. “I’m going to see Bella.” Kaya ran from the room and headed out to the garage.

“Heath,” Bianca spoke softly as she walked over to the couch and took a seat next to him. She rested her hand on his thigh, forgetting for a moment that he wouldn’t feel her touch. “She just wants to play.”

“Well I can’t do it anymore.” Heath sighed.

“You can,” Bianca told him. “She wants to play on the games consol. You use your hands for that and they’re a clearly fine,” Bianca pointed to them as he was still playing the game on the laptop. “Bowling, tennis, pool,” Bianca exhaled. “You can still play all those games on the Wii with her.”

“You don’t know what this is like for me so just shut up and leave me alone,” Heath muttered. Bianca took a deep breath as she counted to ten inside her head. She was fast getting sick of being treated the way she now was by Heath. It had got no better since he returned home from the hospital, things actually only getting worse. “Now go get me a drink.” Heath demanded.

“Excuse me?” Bianca raised her eyebrows at her fiancé.

“Don’t expect me to say please and thank you every time you do something for me,” Heath told her. “It’s not like you are a stranger. You are as good as my wife. I shouldn’t need to give you gratification every time you do something for me. It’s expected from you,” Bianca pursed her lips, not going to dignify Heath with a response as she stood up and walked back through to the kitchen. “Make it a beer,” Heath shouted. “Not like I’ve any reason not to drink in the middle of the afternoon.” Heath said, Bianca going back to finish making the lunch, not about to hurry in getting Heath’s requested beer if he was going to speak to her like that.

The boys had once again built a fort in the living room. They’d requested lunch in their fort, Charlie agreeing, not seeing anything wrong with the idea. She brought the cheese and ham toastie and juice boxes into the fort, joining them inside with her lunch too. “Mum, where’s dad?” Daniel questioned as he pierced the straw into his juice box.

“He’s a work.” Charlie also had a juice box, sucking on the straw as she took a drink.

“But it’s Sunday,” Kobe gasped. “He doesn’t work on Sundays.” Sunday’s of course was always family day for the Braxton’s.

“I know he doesn’t normally,” Charlie said, watching as Emmi picked up piece of her cut up toastie and put it in her mouth. “But with Uncle Heath not working he’s a little short staffed so needed to work today.”

Georgia pouted, her eyebrows furrowing. “You’s not to work again.”

“Ever?” Charlie questioned, Georgia shaking her head in response. “Then how will we get money to feed all you minions?”

“Uhm,” Georgia scratched the side of her head. “From the bank.”

Charlie laughed at her daughter. “He’s hopefully only going to work this Sunday,” Charlie said, looking back to the boys. “He’s going to hire someone else to help us out.”

“But you will work there now,” Kobe said. “Do you need more people?”

“Well yeah if you want mummy and daddy to be here to play with you on Sundays.” Charlie answered.

“We do,” Kobe nodded his head. “And Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays,” Kobe told her. “Every day.”

“Ah so it sounds like you never want me to work,” Charlie said, watching Emmi as she ate more of her lunch before looking back to the boys and Georgia.

“Maybe just part-time.” Daniel told her.

“I see,” Charlie smiled at the kids, quite liking the idea of being a stay at home mum. “I’m not sure how much dad will like that though.” Charlie exhaled before taking a drink.

“Yeah you to stay at home all the times,” Georgia screeched. “Leave daddy to me.” Georgia hit her chest a few times as Charlie laughed at her daughter, enjoying this time with her kids as they ate lunch in the fort.

Thank you for the comments. Only a few chapters left of this one!

one hundred and seventy-seven

“Hey.” Bianca walked into the house, Kaya running in passed her.

“Kaya come play my team.” Georgia was clearly happy to see the girl. She was playing a made up game with her brothers, Daniel telling her she had to be by herself because it was boys v girls.

“Hey how are you?” Charlie and Bianca walked through to the kitchen, Emmi following them unsteadily as Jessica watched her from her mother’s arms.

“Oh my God,” Bianca shrieked. “You didn’t tell me Pickles could walk.” Bianca put Jessica on the floor, Jessica crawling over to Emmi who sat down next to her, her beloved hippo in her hands.

“Ahh yeah. Clever little bubba,” Charlie looked at her daughter before looking back to Bianca. “So, you okay?” Charlie questioned, seeing by the look on Bianca’s face she was far from okay.

Bianca pursed her lips, her head shaking. “He’s just so angry. So so angry. He doesn’t do anything but sit and play this stupid war shooting game on his laptop,” Bianca said. “He won’t play with Kaya, he hardly interacts with Jessica, he...” Bianca trailed off. “He’s quiet nasty,” Charlie could see Bianca was upset about how Heath was now. “And I don’t need this. I don’t need the stress of this with...” Bianca trailed off as her hand hit her stomach.

Charlie pursed her lips. “Do you want me to get Brax to talk with him?”

“He can make it seem like he’s not been sent, right?” Bianca questioned. “Like he’s just came round to see his brother?”

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “I can’t even imagine how he must be feeling but shutting your family out isn’t the right thing to do. I know that much.” Charlie said, taking a drink of her coffee.

“Ma.” Charlie and Bianca looked down as they saw Emmi walking across to Charlie, Jessica staring at her, all wide eyed. Charlie lifted Emmi onto her knee, as they both looked to Jessica.

“You getting ideas?” Bianca cooed. “You want to walk like Emmi?” Bianca questioned. “Come on then.” Bianca encouraged her daughter, holding her hands out so Jessica would move to her.

“Ahh.” Jessica pushed herself up, wobbling for a moment before she fell on her bottom. She frowned sadly before crawling over to her mother, Bianca scooping her up into her arms. She placed a loving kiss on her temple before sighing lightly.

“He just needs some time.” Charlie told her friend, hoping that soon, he would brighten up and start being like Heath again.

Mia and Caden were lying side by side on a blanket that had been placed on the floor. Mia looked smaller than Caden, but even Caden still looked small. Of course they shouldn’t be born yet and April knew they’d catch up in their own time. Finn was sitting next to Mia, staring down at her with a grin on his face, Finn very glad that his sister was home. “Does she need fed?” Finn questioned.

“Nah buddy.” James answered.

“What about her nappy?” Finn questioned, bending down to sniff her. “Is she smelly?”

“You tell me.” April laughed from having cuddles on the couch with Leo.

“No,” Finn frowned sadly. “Oh, I know,” Finn shot his hand in the air. “She’ll need a bath, right?” Finn said, clearly wanting to do something for Mia.

“Not today,” April answered, thinking it was sweet how much Finn wanted to help out with his little sister. “How about you get a book and daddy will read to everyone?” April suggested. “You can come sit up here between me and daddy and you can hold Mia.” April said, Finn’s eyes lighting up at the idea.

“Yeah.” Finn ran over to the toy box to find a book that James could read them as James stood up from the couch and lifted the twins into his arms. Finn rushed over with The Gruffalo in his hands, putting it down on the couch as he sat down next to his mother, Leo frowning as Finn rested his hand on April’s leg.

“He’s not going to push you from me, don’t worry bud.” April spoke into Leo’s neck before kissing him softly.

“Book.” Leo pointed to the book as James gently put Mia into Finn’s arms, making sure he was holding her properly before sitting down next to him, Caden on his lap as he opened the book and started reading to his family.

Ruby and Evan were in Adelaide, having been visiting his mother for the weekend. They were at the airport, waiting for their flight back to Sydney, but it had been delayed as there was a crazy thunderstorm outside, the bad weather grounding all flights for the time being. They’d considered leaving the airport and going back to Josie’s house, but with the weather being as it was, thought it safer to just stay inside the airport. “Looks like we could be having a night in the airport,” Evan mumbled, looking out the window just as a flash of lighting lit up the sky. “That is not stopping anytime soon.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed as she looked out the window. “I wish I could run around outside. I love thunderstorms.” Ruby said.

“Go play in the rain then,” Evan laughed. “But you are on your own. There’s nothing fun about rain.” Evan scrunched his face up before opening his Sprite bottle and taking a drink.

“What about kissing in the rain?” Ruby questioned. “Bet you think that’s fun.”

“Okay I stand corrected,” Evan grinned at his girlfriend. “There is something magical about kissing in the rain,” Evan said. “If only it didn’t get you wet,” Evan stifled a laugh. “So anyways, I’ve been thinking.” Evan started. He wanted to talk to Ruby about this all weekend but just never felt the time was right.

“Oh dear,” Ruby widened her eyes. “You sure that is safe?” Ruby joked.

“Ha ha,” Evan replied. “No, seriously. We are both finishing up uni real soon and I....I kinda want to go see some of this world,” Evan said. “How about instead of getting jobs right away we go travel?” Evan questioned. “Go see some places?”

“Uhm, yeah,” Ruby loved the idea of travelling. “So like where too?” Ruby questioned. “Like Asia, we need to travel round Asia?”

“Yeah of course,” Evan said. “We can do Asia mainly I guess,” Evan took another drink. “I dunno, we can take some time and plan it out over the new few weeks.”

“Ah I’m excited already.” Ruby grinned. Travelling was something she was keen to do so was glad Evan had the idea too.

“Me too,” Evan smiled. “I feel this is how we should be right now,” Evan said. “You know, just me and you, getting to do go do what we want, not having anything to stop us.” Evan said, trying to say he was thankful of Ruby baby trying deceit without actually saying it.

“Yeah,” Ruby pursed her lips. “There’s plenty time for that in the future,” Ruby said, Evan giving a smile that Ruby knew what he was getting at. “Right now I am glad it’s just me and you.” Ruby said, leaning in and kissing Evan’s lips, Evan smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

Thank you so much for the comments. :)

One month later

one hundred and seventy-eight

Charlie walked into the restaurant, smiling at Brax stared up at her from behind the bar. “Being late on your first day is not a good start, Charlotte.” Brax said in a joking manner.

“Sorry, babysitter was late.” Charlie said, opening the door of the office and putting her bag inside before going over to the bar. Charlie only starting work in the restaurant now, Brax letting fully recover from the shooting and just letting her spent more time with kids, Brax knowing she needed some time with them after what had happened.

“Ruby Ruby Ruby,” Brax muttered as he shook his head. “You’ll need to dock her pay.”

“Sure,” Charlie laughed. “Just tell me what half of nothing is.” Charlie said.

“Well she does need to spend the next 4 hours running around after our lighting speed toddler,” Brax laughed. Emmi had now fully mastered walking and would hurry off to explore everywhere she could, any chance she got. “Then there’s Georgia,” Brax said. “And she’s getting the boys from school, right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie pursed her lips as she nodded. “So,” Charlie took a deep breath. “You going to give me some bar lessons?” Charlie questioned, looking up at her husband. Right now the restaurant was closed as they were between the lunch and dinner shifts. Brax thought this would be the perfect time to give Charlie some training, instead of throwing her straight into a busy evening, not having a clue what she was doing.

“I’ll give you a lesson.” Brax said, wrapping his arms around Charlie and pulling her body close to him so it was pressing against him. He squeezed her bum cheeks as he placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“Mmm Brax,” Charlie pulled back. “What was the first thing we talked about when we said we were going to work together?” Charlie questioned, Brax just replying with a sad pout. “We have to be professional at work.”

“Around others,” Brax said. “And right now, I see no others,” Brax looked around before looking back to Charlie. “Besides, I’ve always wanted to have sex in my office and you, my dear wonderful wife are the one I do that with.” Brax told her, leaning down and kissing her lips again.

“Brax,” Charlie had to fight hard with herself to pull away from the kiss. “We are at work. We can’t.”

“We can,” Brax whispered. “Just this once and then my urge will be satisfied and I’ll never ask you to do it again.” Brax mumbled, placing another kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Well if doing it the once here will stop you.” Charlie mumbled, raising her eyebrows suggestively before they kissed again, Brax leading her down to the office as the kiss never broke.

The talk Brax had with Heath seemed to go in one ear and out the other, for Heath’s attitude and behaviour didn’t seem to get any better, if anything only getting worse, making it very hard and stressful for Bianca. Bianca had sadly miscarried the baby and although it was devastating news, this seemed to give Heath the kick he needed, Heath’s attitude changing for the better after he blamed himself for the miscarriage. He knew he hadn’t made it easy for Bianca over the last month and wondered if he hadn’t got her as stressed, that she’d still be pregnant. But since that day, he’d been like a different person, or at least to Bianca, more like the Heath she fell in love with. He still had his bad days but they were a lot less often now and he would play and joke around with the girls like normal too. Jessica was napping, Bianca having put her down they’d got back from being out at the supermarket. Heath and Kaya had stayed at home. They were playing the Wii when Bianca and Jessica left the house and were still playing the Wii when she returned. Kaya took her shot – Heath and herself playing the Bowling game, this one one of the easiest for Heath to play. “Aww no.” Kaya moaned as she only knocked 3 pins down, her first shot missing them all entirely.

“Heath gave a little chuckle as he took his shot, cheering as he got a strike. “Yes.” Heath beamed.

“No fair.” Kaya moaned as she threw the Wii controller at her father, it smacking of his shin. Heath yelled in pain as Bianca appeared at the archway between the kitchen and living room to see what all the shouting was for.

“She just smacked me in the leg with the controller.” Heath leaned forward and rubbed where he’d been hit.

“Oh Heath,” Bianca sighed. “She was wrong to throw it at you but it’s not like you can feel it.”

“I did,” Heath suddenly realised he did feel the control striking against his leg. “I felt it. I felt it Bee.” Heath got a huge grin on his face as Kaya gasped, Bianca walking further into the room and over to Heath.

“Don’t do that to me.” Bianca said, not finding it funny that Heath was joking with her about that.

“I am being serious,” Heath squeaked. “I felt it.” Heath banged his hand against his shin, his heart pounding at being able to feel his touch.

“Oh my God.” Bianca gasped, her hand covering over her open mouth.

“Dad,” Kaya shrieked as she jumped up and down excitedly. “Can you feel it there?” Kaya questioned, smaking her hand hard against his thigh.”

“No,” Heath suddenly looked saddened. “But I felt the bottom, I did,” Heath defended himself, once again hitting his lower shin. “That.”

“Oh my God,” Bianca said again, bending down in front of the couch where Heath was sitting. She put her hands onto his knees, Heath grinning as he felt his wives right hand on his left knee. “I can feel this one.” Heath said, putting his hand on top of hers. Bianca grinning in excitement, wondering if this meant that Heath was getting some feeling back in his legs and if in the future it was looking brighter that he would be able to walk again.

Ruby stared down to the suitcases and boxes as she sighed. “I don’t want to unpack.” Ruby sighed as Evan walked into the room with yet another box.

“What?” Evan pouted sadly. “So you don’t want to move back in?”

“Of course,” Ruby said. She was moving back in with Evan today around 4 months after they’d gotten back together. “I just hate unpacking.” Ruby gave a sad pout.

“Well it seems like you’ve got double the clothes you left with,” Evan laughed. “Maybe now would be a good time to have a clear out.” Evan said, glancing at the two suitcases and 3 boxes of Ruby’s things.

“Well if you know anything about girls then you’ll know that sometimes a good bit of retail therapy is needed,” Ruby told him. “Especially when they are trying to fix a broken heart.”

“So you are saying all this extra clothing is my fault for breaking up with you?” Evan questioned.

“I’m saying that few dresses and maybe a skirt of two help get me through not being with you.” Ruby said.

“Well I’m glad you had them to help you through.” Evan joked.

“I’m more glad that we are back together,” Ruby gave him a smile before pulling him close for a kiss.

“But as you can see,” Ruby pulled back and looked to all her clothes. “That one drawer and that half the wardrobe space isn’t going to do me so,” Ruby exhaled. “I think you need to throw some of your clothes out.” Ruby said, giving Evan a grin.

“Well looks like we have a bit of a problem.” Ruby said.

“Well only one way to solve it,” Evan said, Ruby raising her eyebrows, wondering what Evan was going to say next. “We’re going to have to fight for space.” Evans said, as he started to play fight with Ruby, Ruby squealing in surprise as she started to fight back.

James buttoned up his shirt before walking out of the en-suite and over to their bed where April was laying, dressed in only her underwear. “Hun.” James softly shook her shoulder.

“Mmm.” April moaned as her eyes fluttered open.

“You were supposed to be getting dressed.” James said. Olive was downstairs with the kids. April and James were going out for a meal, the first time it would be just the two of them since the twins’ arrival. They were only 6 weeks old though and April was starting to get second thoughts about leaving them, even if it was only for a couple of hours so they could go have a nice meal.

“I’m just having a minute.” April murmured.

“You’re having second thoughts, aren’t you?” James could see April was unsure about going out without the babies. “It’ll just be for a couple of hours,” James told her. “We’ll be back for their next feed.” April had just fed the babies so had 3 hours before they needed to be fed again. She had some expressed milk in the fridge but April preferred feeding the babies herself, Mia especially fussy when it came to taking a bottle, the little girl preferring the breast for her feeds.

“I know,” April sat up and swung her legs off the bed so she was sitting over the side. “And I do want to go out for a nice dinner with you.” April said, her head bowing a little.

“But?” James questioned, of course knowing there was a but.

“Well they’re my babies,” April gave a sad pout. “My squishy little cuties and I want to have cuddles with them.”

James gave a little laugh. “We can have cuddles with them all night,” James tucked her hair behind her ear. “I just thought it would be nice for us to have a little bit of us time.”

“It will be,” April gave a little smile. “I don’t know what to wear,” April exhaled. “I’m all post-baby belly and fat and....” April trailed off. “My dresses are tight.”

“You don’t need to wear a dress hun,” James told her. “You just wear what you are comfy in,” James rubbed her cheek. “But you are gorgeous and you are not fat.”

April gave a little smile. She knew James was just being nice, of course still having baby weight as the twins were only 6 weeks old but she still appreciated his words. “I’ll find something.” April said, standing up and walking over to the wardrobe to find what she was going to wear.

Thanks for the comments. Only one left after this one.

one hundred and seventy-nine

“Now don’t tell the boys but I think Great-Grandma has a soft spot for you little lady,” Olive spoke softly as she was changing Mia’s nappy. Mia was a very quiet, content baby. Maybe she still needed to find her voice but so far she hardly ever cried, which was made up for by Caden, the boy crying just for the sake of it sometimes. “You are a little sweetheart,” Olive smiled as she took a baby wiped and wiped Mia’s little bottom. “But hopefully before mummy and daddy stop creating life for a while because you four are hard enough for Gamma to look after,” Olive said. As she was changing Mia’s nappy, Caden was screaming from his bouncy chair, Leo was running around in only his nappy, using a baby blanket as a cape and Finn was banging on a little toy drum kit. “I know daddy wants an army of kids but I think mummy is done so let’s hope she wins that fight for now at least,” Olive closed the tabs on the new nappy before she buttoned up Mia’s baby grow again. “Finn, come and help Gamma.” Olive said, looking to Finn who was banging away on the drum as he was singing something about Spiderman.

“No,” Finn sang. “I busy playing.”

Olive sighed as she put the dirty nappy into the bin bag. She lifted Mia up and put her back into her bouncy chair before lifting up the nappy bag and walking over to the bin, throwing it away. “Ahhhhh.” Leo was running in circles around her, his arms out like he was superman.

“Shhhh boys,” Olive said, the boys supposed to be winding down for bedtime but at this rate they’d still be up when April and James returned home. The twins were due their next feed around 10 but Olive expected they’d be home well before that, April of course wouldn’t want to leave the babies for that long right now but was sure they’d still want the boys to go to bed at their usual bedtime. “Let’s have some quiet time, yeah?”

“Caen waaaah waaaah.” Leo made a crying noise as he pointed to his baby brother. He shook his head before he zoomed off around the room again. Olive walked over to the bouncy chair and lifted Caden out.

“Now what’s these tears for?” Olive questioned, gently rocking the boy in her arms. “You just been changed so it’s not for that,” Olive said, pacing the room as she rocked her great grandson in her arms. “Oh Gamma is too old for this.” Olive said, hoping the boys would calm down soon.

“So,” Evan put the bowls of pasta down on the table. On Friday nights, Evan always cooked and since the only thing he could cook was pasta that was what the offering was for dinner. “I’ve been looking at Asia and apparently some of the best places in the world to dive are there so I was thinking we should get our diving licenses so we can go out.” Evan said, putting some salt and pepper onto his dinner.

“You know how expensive it is to get a diving license?” Ruby questioned.

“We have money,” Evan told her, referring to the money his dad had left him. “And I think he’d rather we spent it on cool things like getting diving licenses and to travel the world other than wasting it on stupid things like....I dunno,” Evan shrugged. “But you know what I mean, right?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “You are going to spend all your money on your gorgeous girlfriends every want while we are in Asia.” Ruby gave a cheeky grin.

“Might buy you dinner one night,” Evan joked. “And an ice-cream if you are lucky.” Evan added.

“Wow. Dinner and an ice-cream, you are too generous,” Ruby said, taking a forkful of her pasta. “I’m definitely keeping you.” Ruby swallowed her mouthful as she pointed her fork in Evan’s direction.

Evan gave a little laugh. “Just for you baby.” Evan said before taking a drink of his water.

“Oh can we ride an elephant?” Ruby questioned. “And we need to go to India so we can see the Taj Mahal,” Ruby spoke before Evan had the chance to answer her questioned about elephant riding. “Oh and there’s the great wall of China and a full moon party in Thailand,” Ruby grinned. “Oh Ev this is going to be so much fun.”

“I know,” Evan grinned. “But let’s not tell your parents about the full moon party idea.” Evan mumbled, of course knowing they’d be pretty wild and could be dangerous.

“Ah I wish we could go tomorrow.” Ruby sighed.

“Just a few more months.” Evan said, already looking forward to going travelling with his gorgeous girlfriend.

“Honey I’m home,” Brax called out as he walked into the house. He walked into the living room to see Charlie sitting on the couch, a bar of chocolate sitting on the arm of the chair. “What have you done with the minions?” Brax questioned, thinking it was far too quiet, even for the kids to be playing upstairs, they’d still normally hear them banging around.

“We are playing hide and seek.” Charlie said, putting a square of chocolate into her mouth.

“I see,” Brax leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips before sitting down next to her, braking off a piece of chocolate and biting into it. “You do know how to play hide and seek, right?” Brax questioned. “You are supposed to find the kids when they hide.”

“Ah so that’s what I am doing wrong,” Charlie joked and Brax gave a little laugh as he wrapped his arm around Charlie, Charlie leaning into him, resting her head against his chest as he rubbed her arm. “But no, it’s quiet,” Charlie told him. “I just fancied a little minute or two for me time.” Charlie said.

“Well I can’t blame you for that,” Brax spoke softly as he placed a kiss on her head. “You work hard with all the housework and the kids and you are awesome at the restaurant already.” Brax told her with a smile as he lightly caressed her upper arm.

“You dishing out that compliment in hopes you’ll get lucky tonight?” Charlie questioned, looking up at Brax as a cheeky grin formed on her face.

“I’m complimenting you because you because it’s the truth,” Brax murmured. “But if you would like to get jiggy tonight I’m not going to say no.” Brax said, a grin forming on his face. Charlie gave a little laugh as she raised her eyebrows before leaning up and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

“So how come you are home from work so early?” Charlie questioned, choosing to keep teasing Brax by not giving him an response to his comment.

“It was quiet so Scott could manage,” Brax said. “Wanted to get home before the minions got put to bed.”

“Well I need to go find those minions before bedtime can start.” Charlie said, making to get up from the couch.

“I’ll go,” Brax told her. “You keep relaxing,” Brax said as he stood up. “Besides, they’ll get a surprise if daddy finds them.” Brax said as he walked out of the living room in search for the kids. Charlie broke off another piece of chocolate and popped it into her mouth as she lay back on the couch, not needing to be told twice to keep relaxing.

Heath, Bianca and the kids were having a movie night. Kaya of course got to choose which movie that they watched and to no-one’s surprise she’d picked Frozen. The same movie she’d picked for the last 3 movie nights. Heath tried to persuade her to choose another but her mind was made up. They were watching Frozen. Kaya was currently in her bedroom getting her pyjamas on as Bianca was in the kitchen, getting the popcorn and drinks ready for the film, because what was a movie night without popcorn? Heath wheeled himself to the archway, watching Bianca as she leaned up for the big bowl to put the popcorn in once it was finished popping in the microwave. Bianca put the bowl on the worktop before she turned to the fridge. She stopped as she saw a picture of Kaya with Jessica when she was newly born stuck to the fridge with a little green apple fridge magnet. Bianca pursed her lips as her hand brushed over her stomach, Heath seeing a sadness in her eyes. “I’m sorry.” Heath told her, wheeling himself further into the room.

“What, why?” Bianca opened the fridge and took out some juice boxes for Kaya. She lifted a bottle from the worktop and opened it up as she looked to Heath.

“The baby,” Heath gestured to Bianca’s stomach. “I’m sorry you lost it. I.....it was my fault.” Heath still felt guilty even though Bianca told him numerous times since she’d lost the baby that it was no-one’s fault, that it was just the way it goes sometimes.

“It was no-one’s fault,” Bianca pursed her lips as she pierced a hole in one of the juice boxes putting a little in Jessica’s bottle. “It’s just nature’s way.” Bianca said as she out more water into the bottle, Jessica a little young to be drinking fruit juices but wanting her to have that little bit of a different taste from milk or water. “Beside’s maybe it was for the best,” Bianca spoke quietly. Of course she’d rather that she was still pregnant but nothing she could do or say would bring the lost baby back. “We can focus on you learning to walk again then we can get married and then we can start trying for another baby,” Bianca said, bending down in front of Heath and rubbing his cheek.

“Yeah, yeah we can.” Heath smiled as Bianca placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I’m ready,” The pulled as Kaya jumped into the room, Jessica in her arms. “Let’s watch Frozen now.”

Bianca put the juice boxes and Jessica’s bottle on Heath’s knee as he wheeled himself out of the kitchen to the living room as Kaya followed with Jessica, Bianca coming soon after with the bowl of freshly made popcorn, the family ready to enjoy the movie together.

Thank you all so much. I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I have writing it. This is the last chapter.

one hundred and eighty

Ruby was sitting on a gorgeous white sanded beach as the turquoise water lapped gently at the shore. She was drinking coconut milk threw a straw from an actual coconut as the hot sun shone down on her. They were about 6 weeks into their travel adventure and had no plans to go home anytime soon. They were currently in Goa, where they had been for the last 3 days and on the agenda for today was nothing. Today was a relaxing on the beach kind of day. Evan walked out of the water and over to the sun loungers where Ruby was sitting, writing postcards for everyone back home. “Babe, come in the water.” Evan stood over her, water dripping down on her from his body.

“Ev,” Ruby moaned as she looked up to him. “You are getting the postcards wet.” Ruby hit his chest and Evan moved back, picking up his towel and drying his body off before taking a seat on the side of Ruby’s sun lounger. He glanced at the table before looking back to Ruby.

“Do you need to write one for everyone separately?” Evan questioned. Ruby wrote her family a postcard in every new place she was. The kids all got one each and then she wrote one for her mum and Brax together.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “They’ll love getting their own mail.”

“But Emmi and Georgia can’t even read.” Evan rolled his eyes.

“So,” Ruby replied. “If you were a four year old and you got something just for you in the mail you’d be chuffed, right?” Ruby questioned, Evan letting out a puff of air as he nodded, admitting defeat.

“Can’t you finish writing to them later?” Evan questioned. “I really want you to come in the water.” Evan said, staring out at the gorgeous beach, where they were practically alone. There was another couple quiet far down from them but it was in a pretty secluded location.

“I’ll come in soon.” Ruby answered.

“Baby,” Evan pouted, his hand rubbing over her arm. “There’s something I want you to see.”

Ruby put the pen and postcard down on the little table before looking up to him. “And what is that?”

“Well that’s why you’ll need to come in the water so you can see for yourself,” Evan told her, a smile forming on his face as he looked into her mesmerising green eyes. “C’mon,” Evan stood up as he took her hand, pulling her to her feet. They held hands as they walked down the sand and into the turquoise waters. “This way,” Evan swam out and Ruby followed after him, both intrigued and nervous for going into the unknown. They swam out passed some rocks and round the corner, Evan taking her into a little caved off area, the water up to about Ruby’s waist in depth as she stood up, Evan taking her hand and leading her further into the cave. She saw lots of flowers floating the water and some on the rocks at the edge of the cave, Ruby looking around in awe. “Pretty neat huh?”

“Babe did you do this?” Ruby questioned. Evan gave a little nod as he pulled her close to him and placed a soft kiss on her lips. “Aww it’s beautiful,” Ruby smiled. “But I can only imagine what you have in mind for us to do here.” Ruby mumbled.

“I bet you can’t.” Evan grinned, leading Ruby over to the rocks edge, Ruby seeing a big bunch of gorgeous flowers.

“How did you get all this in here without me noticing?” Ruby questioned.

“You were too busy writing all your postcards,” Evan murmured. “Anyways, Rubes,” Evan spoke softly as he tucked her hair behind her ear. “Every moment I’ve spent with you has been the best of my life. I never want to live a day without you by my side,” Evan said, Ruby’s beating faster at what she thought was coming next. “I would be honour if you would become Mrs Ruby Butler,” Evan said, Ruby gasping as he pulled a ring box out from behind the bunch of flowers. “Will you marry me?” Evan said, Ruby squealing as she nodded before smacking her lips against his in a kiss.

“Yes,” Ruby said as she pulled back, looking down the gorgeous white gold 2 set diamond ring that Evan was displaying. He grinned as he put the ring on her finger before they met in another kiss.

April and James had taken the kids to the beach, the family having a picnic lunch. Finn and Leo were busy building sandcastles as Caden and Mia were chilling, laying on a beach towel, each of them holding their rabbit teddies they’d gotten when they were born. James was watching the boys, Finn obviously saying something funny as Leo was giggling hysterically before looking to April with a rather large grin. “What?” April questioned, looking into his eyes.

“I love this,” James said. “Chilling at the beach,” James looked to the babies before moving a little closer to April, wrapping his arm around her as she rested her head on his chest. “My gorgeous fiancée and our amazing kiddies,” James smiled as he picked Mia up and sat her on his knee, Mia giving her father a gummy grin. “My special little lady.” James said as he leaned down and kissed Mia’s temple softly. Mia gurgled excitedly before reaching her hands out for April.

“Ha she’s mummy little lady,” April took Mia into her arms, Mia gurgling excitedly again as she cuddled into her mummy. “I’m clearly her favourite.”

“Well I think you have an unfair advantage because you’ve got the boobies,” James said, pointing to April’s breast. April gave a little laugh before looking down to Caden, his blond hair all static against the towel. “What do you think little man?” James questioned, lifting Caden onto his knee. “Mummy’s got the advantage, right?” James cooed, Caden giving his daddy a smile in response.

“We made,” Leo came running over, pointing to all the sandcastles he and his brother had made. “All see.” Leo looked over before looking back to his parents, sitting down on the sand in front of them.

“Well you’ve been busy huh?” April questioned, running her hand over his blond locks.

“Uh-huh.” Leo nodded as Finn came running across.

“You having fun little dude?” James questioned, Finn picking up his juice box and taking a drink, nodding his head in answer.

“When Mia and Caden can play with us too it’ll be more fun,” Finn told his dad. “We can have building competitions and races and all sorts.”

Mia gave a babble as she flung her hand in the air. “I think Mia likes that idea,” April laughed as she looked down to her daughter. “Hmm you want to run around on the beach with your brothers?”

“Caen no.” Leo giggled as he pointed to Caden, the boy sitting with a frown on his face, clearly looking unhappy about something.

“Eugh that’s his pooping face,” Finn shrieked as he jumped onto his feet. “Run Leo, he’ll smell.” Finn said as he started running away across the beach.

“Not too far boys.” April laughed at her sons as they ran off, Leo’s little legs going as fast as they could as he tried to catch up with Finn.

“Oh what are they like.” James murmured, shaking his head at the boys before looking back to April.

“They’re awesome.” April replied, James nodding in agreement before sharing a kiss with his fiancée as they enjoyed their day at the beach.

Heath was at the hospital, having another session with his rehab nurses. Over the last six months he’d slowly began walking again. It was a long process but Bianca was so proud of how well he’d done. Usually it would just be Bianca who would accompany him to his sessions but today Kaya and Jessica were there too. Jessica, now 16 months old, was finally starting to walk, the little girl just crawling everywhere over trying to walk. She was standing in front of Heath who was holding onto the two bars that ran half the length of the rehab room, a bar each side of him. He’d managed to walk up and down it for the last half hour, the nurse seeing Heath occasionally take one had off. Jessica gave a squeal as she looked to her mother who was standing at the other side before taking off, walking unsteadily down to her mother. “C’mon then,” Bianca cooed encouragingly much to Jessica’s delight, the encouragement spurring her on to keep walking, even if it was unsteadily. “Yeah you show daddy how it’s done.” Bianca smiled as she lifted Jessica up as she kissed her, Kaya clapping at her little sister.

“Daddy ready to go again?” The nurse questioned, Heath taking a 5 minute break to get some breath back,” Heath gave a little nod. “Wait,” She looked to the bars before looking back to Heath. He’d walked up and down holding onto both bars for a couple of weeks now, the nurse knowing he was more that capable of trying without them. “How about this time, we remove these.” The nurse said, Heath widening his eyes as he clutched onto them tighter.

“No,” Heath said. “I can’t.”

“You can,” Kaya screeched from the seat she was sitting in at the other side of them room. “You can do anything dad.” Kaya gave him an encouraging smile.

“You can try babe.” Bianca told him, also speaking encouragingly.

“I....” Heath shook his head before looking back to the nurse.

“Don’t worry,” The nurse walked over to the wall where Heath had noticed crutches when he’d first arrived at his session. “I’m not letting you go unaided yet.” The nurse said, Heath feeling a little relieved. She walked back over to him and handed him the crutches, Heath gripping onto them tightly as the nurse moved the bars back so Heath had more space to walk with the crutches.

Bianca looked up at her fiancé and couldn’t be more proud of him in that moment. He was standing up, almost unaided, something they never thought he’d be able to do again, ever. Heath took a deep breath as he started walking with help of the crutches. He gave a little wobble but quickly steadied himself as he kept walking, slowly, but still, he was walking. “Heath.” Bianca gasped as Heath got a smile of his face. Heath taking it very slowly but he was able to walk with just the help of the crutches.

“Dad.” Kaya beamed as she ran over to Heath, knocking into him as she hugged him tightly.

“Well done babe. I’m so proud.” Bianca walked over to him and the family shared a hug, the nurse letting them have a moment before speaking up.

“Well done Heath,” The nurse smiled. “Those are your crutches for now.”

“So you mean I don’t need my chair anymore?” Heath felt his heart beating faster at the prospect of getting rid of that godforsaken chair.

“I’d maybe keep it for now if you intended to be out for a long time but you are more than capable of using crutches as your main choice of aid now.” The nurse said.

Heath looked over the moon. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

“Really we mean it,” Bianca smiled at her. “This wouldn’t have been possible without your help.”

“It’s my job but you are welcome,” The nurse smiled. “Keep doing you’re strengthening exercises and keeping walking around, get those legs stronger,” The nurse said. “And I’ll see you in two weeks for your next session.” The nurse said, of course the goal being to get Heath to walk again completely unaided.

They once again thanked the nurse before walking out of the hospital, Heath taking it slow on his crutches as Kaya pushed his chair out, Jessica now back on the floor, toddling out as she was holding her mother’s hand. They got to the door of hospital and Heath walked out, Bianca feeling emotional as she looked at the look of accomplishment on Heath’s face. “We’re almost there.” Bianca said, Heath looking to her with a grin before he placed a kiss on her lips. He loved how great a support she’d been for him and couldn’t wait to be standing at the altar to become Mr and Mrs with her.

Charlie looked up from her bed to see Brax walking into the room with Emmi in his arms. “She said she wanted to snuggle with mummy and daddy in their bed for a while.” Brax said, getting into his side of the bed, sitting Emmi down in between them, hippo being held close to her.

“Oh she did,” Charlie looked down to her daughter, the sixteen month old grinning up at her. Emmi made kissy lips and Charlie leaned down, letting Emmi kiss her. “Well that is allowed, isn’t it Buttercup?” Charlie questioned, Emmi grinning even more at her. “You can come for snuggles with mummy anytime you want.”

“I think the storm has just unsettled her,” Brax said. It was the middle of summer but it had been so hot the last few days that the thunderstorm was much welcomed, everyone hoping that the storm would clear the air and it wouldn’t be so hot and muggy the next day. “Speaking of it being unsettling I’m sure another little minion or two will come into the room soon.” Brax watched Emmi as the thunder gave an almighty crack. Emmi jumped up getting rather startled before cuddling in close to her mother, Charlie wrapping her arms around her protectively.

“Yeah but I don’t mind it,” Charlie said. “I hate that kids need to grow up. I want them to be little and cute forever.” Charlie placed a kiss on Emmi’s head as she spoke, not quite sure how her baby became to be sixteen months old already.

“That would be nice,” Brax said. “But think of it that when they do get older they won’t need us a much and we’ll have more alone time together and will can be more spontaneous.” Brax raised his eyebrows before leaning down and placing a kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“Mummy.” They pulled back as the door creaked open and as expected, Georgia came running into the room, Owlie in her hands.

“The storm keeping you awake too?” Brax questioned as she climbed up onto the bed.

“It’s so stupid,” Georgia sighed. “Daddy, make it stop.” Georgia glared up at him, looking almost threatening.

“I can’t sweetie.” Brax told her, Georgia widening her eyes, looking like the comment knocked her for six. In her eyes, Brax could do anything, so she didn’t see why he couldn’t stop the rain.

“Oh,” Georgia gasped as once again, they heard creaks and both Kobe and Daniel walked into the room. “Daniel is you scared?” Georgia giggled at her older brother.

“Kobe was,” Daniel swallowed. “I’m not scared, I just....I wanted to come see you all.” Daniel said, the boy at nearly 12 years old couldn’t admit to his 4 year old sister he was afraid of a little thunderstorm.

Charlie and Brax exchanged a glance as all four of their kids were now on their bed. Charlie actually loved it when there were thunderstorms. She loved all her kids coming in and snuggling up to her to sleep, feeling safe in their bed. “This is funny.” Kobe giggled as he pushed Georgia’s foot from being on his leg. Georgia frowned at him, quiet liking using her brother as a foot rest.

“Will we’s be like this in Hawaii?” Georgia questioned. They’d finally booked a family trip to Hawaii like promised. They’d be going over Easter break so it was still a few months away but the kids were very much looking forward to it.

“What all in the same bed?” Brax laughed. “No, no we won’t.”

“Oh,” Georgia looked a tad disappointed. “It would be fun.”

“She’s so silly.” Kobe giggled at his sister.

“Emmi.” Daniel moaned as Emmi was poking his side, obviously getting enjoyment out of this as she had a grin on her face before giggling.

“Danul.” Emmi clapped before she leaned up at kissed Daniel’s cheek, Daniel looking horrified as he wiped his hand across his cheek.

“Eugh kisses from my sister.” Brax mocked Daniel, wiping his hand across his cheek, the rest of the family laughing at him.

“Daddy daddy,” Georgia jumped up on the bed, bouncing over to Brax. She whispered something in his ear and Brax looked to her, nodding as Georgia’s eyes lit up.

“Okay,” Georgia moved her hair from in front of her face. “Daddy says we all can get him.” Georgia grinned cheekily before jumping on her brother and starting to tickle him. Daniel screamed out at her to stop as Kobe and Brax joined in.

“Mum,” Daniel wriggled, trying to get free. “Help.” Daniel pleaded as he started to giggle.

“Help who?” Charlie questioned, teasing her son. She knew fine well that Daniel wanted her to get them to stop ticking him but she thought teasing him would be more fun. “Them? Okay.” Charlie said, tickling her son as well, Daniel’s hysterics filling the room as they all tickled him.

“Wait wait wait,” Brax held his hand out, everyone stopping tickling Daniel and looking up at Brax. “Five on one is not fair,” Brax said, pulling his pillow out from behind him. “Let’s even this out a little, shall we?” Brax questioned, flinging the pillow across the room and smacking Charlie in the face.

“Oh, you....” Charlie shook her head as she glared at her husband, the kids erupting into laughter at their dad smacking their mum with the pillow. “It’s on.” Charlie said, flinging the pillow in Brax’s direction, but her aim went a little left and she struck Kobe instead. Kobe shrieked in laughter before a second pillow went flying across the bed and hit Georgia, Daniel proud of his perfect aim. The sounds of laughter filled the room, drowning out the storm from outside as pillows and bed cushions were flying around, coming from all directions as the family had fun.

Archived