Forever and Always

Thank you Romeo&Indi Forever, CharlieAndBraxLover, Sabrina and Sarah for the comments.

thirty-one

James was sitting in the surf club with April next to him. “So why rush Finn off to Irene’s this morning?” James questioned, taking a drink of his smoothie.

“He missed her and wanted to see her,” April answered, shaking her leg, a little nervous for what was about to happen. “And maybe having a little kid there with him will help Kobe talk to her more. She said the only time she’s heard him talk since she’s had him has been when he sees Charlie.”

“Weird,” James mumbled. “But she said they want to foster him, right?”

“Yeah,” April nodded. “They’re like officially applying and stuff,” April told him before taking a drink of her smoothie. Feeling more nervous as she saw Ruby walking to the surf club with Evan walking behind her. She waved across casually, trying to make it look to James like a chance meeting.

“Hey, fancy seeing you here,” Ruby said, April giving her a little smile, glad she played along. April took one look at Evan and could see a slight resemblance between him and James. “This is Evan, the guy from Bali I was telling you about.”

“Hey, I’m April.” April gave a little wave.

“James,” James held his hand out and Evan stared at him for a moment before cleaning his throat as he shook his hand. “So, never seen you around before.”

“Nah I....I’m from Adelaide,” Evan said. “Just here to....uhm on family business,” Evan cleared his throat again. “Just a coincidence that I meant Ruby in Bali and now I’m in her home town.”

“So how you liking it here?” April questioned as they took a seat at the table with them.

“I love it,” Evan exhaled. “Don’t ever want to leave again,” Evan glanced at James, his heart beating faster with nerves. Does he just come right out and say it? Or is he better to strike up friendship first or would that only backfire once he did tell him. “You always lived in this area yourself?”

“Used to live about 20 minutes away in a place called Yabbie Creek,” James answered. “Me and Grams moved here oh.....6 years ago now maybe.”

“You and your gran?” Evan questioned.

“Yeah,” James nodded. “Mum died when I was young and my dad...” James shook his head. “Took off when I was only a few months old. Never seen or heard from the jerk since.” It hurt Evan to hear James calling their father a jerk. To him, of course he could be seen as a jerk or even worse for walking out on his wife and young baby but to Evan, he was always there for him and his mother and really was the perfect dad and partner, giving him all he could need and more.

“Sorry.” Evan did feel bad that James ended up with no parents in his life as he grew up and liked to think that if his dad knew that James’ mum had passed, he’d have come back for him.

“Not your fault,” James mumbled. “Besides, I now have a gorgeous fiancée, an amazing 3 year old son and...” James paused before looking to April. She sighed before giving a little nod. “And another on the way.” James grinned looking back to Evan.

“Congratulations,” Evan smiled. “Sounds like a lovely family you are going to have.”

“Well it shows I’m not like my lousy father eh.” James said.

“He was a great man,” Evan sounded angry and it slipped out before he could stop himself. “Alright he....” Evan paused as James looked confused.

“How do you know my dad?” James questioned.

“Because he....he’s my dad.” Evan said, James’ eyes widening in shock.

“No,” James shook his head. “No no. I uh....I don’t have any siblings.”

“Do you know anything about your dad since he left?” Evan questioned and James just stared at him silently. “You’re dad, his name was Derek Butler,” Even exhaled. “I...he told me just before he died that he had a son, James Andrew Butler in this area, born on the 24th November and that you’d be 22 by now.”

“My surnames not Butler so it’s a different person.” James said, not wanting to believe it.

“Jay.” April put her hand on his thigh, rubbing it gently.

“You’re mum. Her name was Victoria and your Grams is Olive.” Evan said and James shook his head as he stood up from the table.

“No no. I’m not....I don’t.....you can’t just walk up to me and start telling me all this stuff.” James said walking out of the surf club as quickly as he could.

“James.” April followed out after him, leaving Ruby to deal with Evan as she hoped James would talk to her.

Bianca handed Charlie the coffee cup before sitting down at the tale with her. “So, do I need to ask?” Charlie questioned. Bianca gave a sly smile before hiding her face by taking a drink of her coffee. “Bianca.” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“It was really nice night,” Bianca smiled. “Conversation flowed over dinner and we had a little walk along the beach before he walked me home.”

“Any kiss goodnight?” Charlie questioned, her eyebrows raising again.

“Might have been one or two,” Bianca spoke quietly, like a shy little school girl. “It was great. It really was a lovely night but I.....I don’t want to get my hopes up because its early days and I probably will screw it up.”

“Why would you do that?” Charlie questioned.

“Because I’m scared of being left heartbroken again,” Bianca spoke the truth to her friend. “Liam well and truly made it impossible for me to trust a guy will stick around,” Bianca exhaled. “You know what I’ve been like with dating since Liam.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Speaking of Liam...” Charlie clicked her tongue. “Have you told Kaya anything about him?”

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “She’s never asked me about her father and I don’t intend on telling her till she does so.”

“Well it’s probably going to be soon then,” Charlie exhaled. “She was asking me about her father last night.”

“Really?” Bianca sounded a little surprised as Charlie gave a little nod. “I wonder where that’s came from.”

“Kids get curious,” Charlie shrugged. “She asked if Heath was going to be her daddy because she really would like to have one,” Charlie felt it best to inform her friend on what her daughter had been saying. “So at least it sounds like she likes Heath,” Charlie said. “Always good to know your little one likes your choice of potential partner.”

“Well yeah but,” Bianca pursed her lips. “I don’t really want to have to bring the Liam stuff back up. Can’t I just tell her the stork brought her?”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Unfortunately I don’t think that excuse is going to fly anymore,” Charlie said, wrapping her hands tight around her coffee cup. “Just let her know about him.”

“What if she wants to meet him?” Bianca questioned. “I’m not in touch with him. He’s....I....” Bianca sighed, not sure what to do for the best.

“Maybe she just wants to know who he is,” Charlie said. “He’s not been in the first 7 years of her life so who’s to say she wants to know him?” Charlie questioned. “Daniel stopped talking about who his real dad was once Brax came on the scene,” Charlie exhaled. “As long as someone is there to be a father to her she’ll probably be fine.”

“Hmm.” Bianca pursed her lips. She always knew the day would come when Kaya would start asking questions about her father but she didn’t think it would be so soon. She took a deep breath before taking a drink of her coffee, knowing she had to tell her daughter something, but right now, she wasn’t sure if she’d tell her the truth.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. :)

thirty-two

“Jay,” April ran to catch up with him, James walking at top speed. “Jay....James please.” April stopped to catch her breath. James stopped walking, standing still for a moment before he turned around to face her.

“I can’t....he’s not.....” James looked frustrated. “How can he just show up and tell me all this crap?” James questioned. “I...he’s lying. He must be lying.”

“Really, babe?” April stepped forward and gently rubbed his hand. “How can he know all that stuff about you? Your birthday, your full name, your mum’s name, Grams’ name?” April questioned.

“Maybe he’s some crazy psycho guy,” James shrugged. “You get people like that all the time.”

“You saw him,” April spoke softly. “He looks like you a little.”

“No he doesn’t.” James barked.

“Jay,” April exhaled. “Your eyes are the same. Same hair colour and style. You have the same little cheek dimples when you smile.” April gave a little smile as she rubbed James’ hand again.

“That doesn’t make us brothers,” James shook his head. “I...we can’t just take his word for it,” James exhaled. “I....I need more proof.” James needed to be sure this man saying he was his brother was actually his brother before deciding if he wanted to get to know him.

“That’s fair enough,” April answered. “And you know, it’s not really a bad thing if you get a little brother out of this, is it?” April questioned. “You always said you wished you weren’t an only child.”

James gave a shrug. “Maybe. I.....I don’t know,” James bit his lip. “Like I say, it’s going to take more for me to believe him,” James ran his hand through his hair as he exhaled loudly, his heart beating a little faster at the recent news. “I mean, a little brother, I...”James sounded a bit gobsmacked. He exhaled loudly as he looked back to April.

“It’s a shock, I know,” April pursued her lips. “But I’d be lost without Bianca and maybe one day.....well it’s not too late for you and Evan to form that kind of bond.”

James gave a little snigger. “We’ll never be like you and Bianca. I...” James stopped talking. “If he is my brother then maybe we’ll go for the occasional surf or have a few beers but,” James shook his head. “I don’t know if I want to include him in my daily life,” James said. “I....I just want some alone time.” James told April before walking off, April knowing she needed to leave James to be by himself to let this sink in.

Poppy and Georgia were running in circles around one of the models in a dress. “I can’t believe you dragged me in here,” Charlie sighed as she put her feet into the dress and pulled it up herself. “Come zip me.” Charlie said, opening the door of the changing room.

“Charlie,” Leah gasped as she walked around her friend and zipped up the back of the dress. “You look stunning. It’s so gorgeous.” Leah stepped back and admired her friend in the wedding dress.

“I do love it.” Charlie looked down to it, admiring herself. She gave a little smile at how good she felt being in a wedding dress.

“Wow,” Georgia stopped running around the model and looked up to her mother. “Oh mummy,” Georgia stared up at her in awe. “Wow.” Georgia said again.

“You look pretty Auntie Charlie,” Poppy said, smiling up at her. “Really really pretty.”

“Aww thank you girls,” Charlie smiled down at the two sets of eyes staring intently up at her. “I really think this is the dress.” Charlie looked back to Leah. It was strapless and flowed down to the ground.

“It fits perfect,” Leah said. “It’s like it was made just for you.”

“You wear it to dinner?” Georgia questioned.

“No,” Charlie stifled a laugh. “I would wear it when I marry daddy,” Charlie told her daughter. “This is to fancy to wear to dinner tonight.” Charlie said, the family having dinner at the restaurant, the meal being paid for by Heath as a thank you for letting him stay with them.

“Oh,” Georgia made an O shape with her mouth as she scratched the side of her head. “I get one?” Georgia wondered, admiring the teal blue dress that was on the model.

“You’ll get a dress,” Charlie told her daughter. “You two Pop’s,” Charlie bent down and ruffled Poppy’s curly locks. “Two of my little flower girls.”

“Yeah,” Poppy sounded delighted. “I like this one.” Poppy pulled at the teal blue dress as Leah moved her daughter back a little bit.

“That’s a bit big for you sweetie,” Leah told her, stroking her hand through her hair. “We’ll get you a nice dress that fits huh?”

“Okay,” Poppy nodded. “And we get these?” Poppy ran over to the cabinets and pointed to the tiaras.

“Ohhh,” Georgia followed after her, liking her friend’s idea. “Yeah mummy. We gets ‘ems ones.” Georgia gave an excited jump as she pointed to the tiaras.

“I don’t think you need to wear tiaras,” Charlie answered. “Just some nice dresses and maybe some nice new shoes. Maybe even some with sparkles on.”

“Sparkly shoes.” The girls cheered in unison before holding hands and jumping around in a circle, happy at the thought of not only pretty dresses but also sparkly shoes.

Leah and Charlie looked to each other with a laugh. “Oh I don’t want to take this off,” Charlie said, her hands going onto her stomach. “It’s so comfortable.”

“Well that’s good,” Leah smiled. “You’ll be wearing it for a good part of the day so you want it to be comfy.” Leah said, Charlie giving a little nod, agreeing with her friend.

“Yeah,” Charlie said, before glancing down to the price tag. “Eee,” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “Oh I can’t pay this much for a dress for one day.” Charlie said, Leah glancing down to the price and widening her eyes.

“It’s not cheap that’s for sure,” Leah said. “But Charlie, this is the dress.” Leah said, her hand running down the side of it. “It’s perfect.”

“I know,” Charlie said before she bit her lip. “Brax will kill me though.”

“It’s your day. You get to wear what dress you want,” Leah told her. “Besides Brax doesn’t need to know what you spend on the dress.” Leah gave a cheeky laugh.

Charlie raised her eyebrows. “Until the monthly bank statement comes in.” Charlie murmured and Leah gave a little laugh before once again both ladies admired the dress.

James walked back into the apartment. “Hey, sorry I was out for so long. But I brought dinner.” James said as he walked over to the kitchen, putting the Chinese take- out on the breakfast bar.

“Jay.” April exhaled and James looked through to the living room to see Evan sitting on the couch next to April.

“What is he doing here?” James questioned, walking over to them.

“I uhm,” Evan cleared his throat. “There was more to say, more too...” Evan trailed off. “Dad gave me this picture before he passed on,” Evan said, handing out the photo for James to take. James took it in his hand and glanced down at it. He felt his heart strings tug as he saw a picture of his mother holding himself as a baby of probably only a few days old. He looked brand new. He looked at the man in the picture, James and Evan both having the same blond hair and striking green eyes.

“That’s my mum.” James ran his hand over her face, the woman looking besotted as she looked down to her baby.

“And thats our dad,” Evan told him. “He kept that picture all this time.”

“Oh wow,” James raised his voice as he threw the picture back to Evan. “He kept a picture of me. How lucky am I to have had him as a father?” James spat.

“Look I’m sorry that he wasn’t there for you, but I...I just want to get to know my brother.” Evan said, looking down to another piece of paper in his hand.

“I don’t,” James shook his head. “I hate Derek and I want nothing to do with him or anyone that came from him.” James said, Evan bowing his head down.

“Jay.” April exhaled as she spoke softly. She could see how much Evan just wanted to get to know his brother and did hope that James would be more open to the idea, given how much he told her he hated being an only child.

“You stay out of this April,” James spat, glaring up at her. “It’s got nothing to do with you.”

April pursed her lips as she gave a little nod. “Look I don’t want to start causing anything here and....” Evan gave a little shrug. “Okay if you don’t want to get to know me then I’ll leave but,” Evan looked down to the paper in his hand again before looking back to James. “Dad was a business man. A pretty successful one at that and he.....he left everything to me and mum in his will and I....it’s only fair that you get a share. Mum and I, we.....we agree,” Even swallowed nervously. “I want you to take this.” Evan handed out the paper and James took it in his hand, seeing it was a cheque for almost half a million dollars.

James looked up to Evan and sniggered. “I don’t want anything of his.” James screwed the cheque up and threw it across the room. “Now get out of my apartment and stay away from me.” James said before turning and walking out of the room, April jumping in fright as the bedroom door slammed shut.

Thanks.

thirty-three

April took a deep breath before walking into the bedroom. She found James sitting on the edge, breathing heavily, like he was angry. “Where’s little dude?” James questioned.

“He’s still at Irene’s,” April answered. “He wants to sleepover so we have the night to ourselves.” April said as she walked over to the bed and sat down next to her fiancé.

James gave a little nod as he ran one hand over the other. “Did you look?” James questioned, looking up at April.

“It’s a lot of money.” April exhaled, figuring she may as well be truthful in letting James know she looked at what was on the cheque.

“He think that’s going to make everything alright?” James questioned. “Give me a nice big cheque and we’ll be the best of brothers?” James shook his head.

“He’s just trying to do the right thing,” April shrugged. “He sees that you are entitled to that money just as much as he is.”

“Well I don’t want any guilt money,” James spat. “I....it’s not going to make up for me not having a dad growing up, is it?” James questioned. “It’s not going to make everything okay, it’s not going to make the fact he walked out on mum and me any better, it’s not,” James trailed off. “It’s not going to do anything for me.”

“Well that’s not exactly true.” April mumbled.

“So you want me to take the money?” James sounded a little surprised. “I didn’t think you were that greedy.”

“I just think it could really help us out,” April told him, her lips pursing as she played with her engagement ring. “I can’t make you take the money but, Jay that money....we could have our wedding, we can....Finn and this baby,” April put her hand on her stomach. “They can have what they need and more, we can get a bigger place to live, we can...it could just really help us give our kids a good life and if that makes me greedy for wanting to better the life I can give Finn and this baby and any more future babies then....I’m greedy,” April held her out in front of her. “And it means you wouldn’t have to take a second job so would still get to spend time with me and Finn.”

“That’s true,” James exhaled. “And you are right. The kids need this,” James gave a little nod. “But if I take the money then....then what if Evan thinks it means I want to get to know him?” James questioned. “I.....and anyways he’s just a half brother so it’s not like we can have that close sibling bond.”

April screwed her face up a little. “Bianca and I are only half siblings. We have different fathers and we’re pretty darn close.”

“That’s different,” James exhaled. “You two grew up together,” James said. “Evan and I.....we.....” James shook his head and April could see that deep down, James did want to get to know Evan.

“See how it goes,” April told him, her hand rubbing his thigh gently. “You’re both into surfing so that’s a start,” April exhaled. “Get to know him and see how things go.”

James took a deep breath as he gave a little nod. “I’m the hotter brother though, right?” James cocked his head to the side and April gave a little laugh as she nodded her head before she placed a kiss on James’ lips, James smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other.

Bianca settled into her bed and opened up her book. She read a few lines before her door creaked open and Kaya crept into the room. “You alright poppet?” Bianca closed the book and put it on her bedside table as Kaya walked over and climbed into the bed, snuggling next to her mother. “You know you can talk to mummy about anything you want?” Bianca told her as he ran her hand though her hair, Bianca sensing that Kaya had wanted to ask about Liam all day.

“Do you know who my daddy is?” Kaya questioned, Bianca looking down into her big, green eyes that looked full of wonder.

“Mmm,” Bianca nodded. “Me and your dad were together for a long time. 4, nearly 5 years,” Bianca spoke quietly. She knew she needed to tell Kaya about Liam, but it still hurt to talk about him, Bianca not quite sure she’d ever fully gotten over him. “Mummy got pregnant with you and daddy asked me to marry him,” Bianca clicked her tongue, not talking for a moment. “But before you were even born, daddy left.”

“Where did he go?” Kaya questioned.

Bianca took a deep breath. “He left to be a singer.”

“A singer?” Kaya repeated, her face screwing up a little. “Like Katy Perry?” Kaya questioned, Katy Perry still being her favourite singer.

“Yeah.” Bianca gave a little nod.

“So he doesn’t want to see me?” Kaya sounded sad as she bowed her head down. “Am I not a nice child?”

“You are the best little girl anyone could ever ask for,” Bianca assured her daughter, hugging her close to her. “Mummy loves you so, so, much and that’ll never change,” Bianca placed a soft kiss on her head. “We’re both too good for someone like daddy, hmmm?” Bianca said. “He’s just silly for walking out and not getting to know his little girl, huh?” Bianca rubbed Kaya’s arm as she spoke.

Kaya gave a little nod. “So he won’t marry you anymore?”

“No.” Bianca shook her head.

“Maybe Heath could marry you and be my daddy,” Kaya told her. “I like him. He’s nice.”

“He is nice isn’t he?” Bianca questioned, Kaya giving a nod.

“Maybe he could move in with us,” Kaya suggested. “There’s room in this bed for him.” Kaya said, looking very serious as she looked to her mother.

Bianca gave a little laugh. “Well it’s good to know you like Heath but it’s a little early to ask him to move in. We’ve only been on one official date.” Bianca told her daughter as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“But he is here and is nice to me,” Kaya said. “My real daddy doesn’t want me,” Kaya gave a sad sigh. “It makes Heath better.” Bianca gave a little smile as she pulled her daughter close to her and hugged her tight. It broke her heart that Kaya now knew Liam didn’t care, but at the same time, she was pleased that Kaya didn’t seem to want to see Liam.

Charlie was straddling over Brax, her hands slowly moving up the sides of his body as they kissed. She rested her hands on his shoulders as she felt him harden against her. The kiss intensified as he ran his hands under her sleep t-shirt and caressed her bare back. Charlie moved her hands back down Brax’s toned chest and ran her fingers teasingly across the rim of his boxers, his bulge on full display. Just as Brax was about to remove Charlie’s t-shirt, the door creaked open. “Mummy.” Charlie sighed as she rested her head against Brax’s for a moment before getting off from on top of him. She turned around to see Georgia walking over, her bed hair all sticking up as she had Owlie under one arm as she dragged her white owl blankie behind her. Brax pulled the sheet over him as he placed his hands over his private area, his lips pursing as he tried to clear his mind from what was about to happen.

“What you doing awake babycakes?” Charlie questioned as Georgia climbed up onto the bed.

“Mummy was Princess,” Georgia said, ignoring her mother’s question as she looked to Brax, sitting on the bed in between her parents, crossing her little legs. “Real Princess.”

“She was?” Brax questioned. “When was this?”

“At the shops.” Georgia told him. “She gets white dress.”

“Leah made me look in a Bridal shop when we were shopping this afternoon,” Charlie said, patting down her daughters bed hair. “I uhm.....I actually got my dress.”

“Oh yeah?” Brax raised his eyebrows, looking surprised. “Really need to start getting this wedding planning going then, huh?” Brax said.

“Uh,” Georgia said. “I gets a dress too,” Georgia told him, still sounding deliriously excited at the though. “An sparkly shoes.” Georgia raised her voice.

“Wow,” Brax gasped. “Lucky you,” Brax said, Georgia just grinning as she hugged Owlie close to her. “Does that mean I need to get looking for my suit?” Brax questioned.

“Well a suit is easy to find,” Charlie exhaled. “The perfect wedding dress on the other hand....” Charlie trailed off.

“Didn’t seem to take you long to find it,” Brax stifled a laugh. “So do I get a preview?” Brax wondered, Charlie instantly shaking her head at his question.

“No,” Charlie sounded shocked he’d ask such a thing. “You don’t get to see it till the wedding day.”

Brax gave a sad pout. “I guess that’s fair,” Brax exhaled before glancing back to Georgia. “But she looked pretty in the dress, right?”

“Oh yes,” Georgia nodded. “She a Princess daddy.”

“Aww and I bet you’ll be a princess too when you get your dress and your sparkly shoes, huh?” Brax questioned, Georgia grinning as she nodded her head.

“Well, little Princess,” Charlie said as she got out of the bed and lifted her daughter up into her arms. “You need to be sleeping,” Charlie told her and Georgia gave a sad pout. “Preferably in your own bed so mummy and daddy can go back to having adult time.” Charlie muttered but Brax picked up on what she said, giving her a cheeky grin. “I’ll be right back.” Charlie whispered before taking Georgia out of their bedroom to put her back to bed.

Thank you for the comments.

thirty-four

Daniel walked slowly into the kitchen, everyone else already there eating their breakfast. “Mum.” Daniel spoke quietly as he walked over to her.

“You okay bud.” Charlie put her hand out and felt her son’s forehead, feeling he was rather hot.

“I’ve just been sick,” Daniel answered quietly. “And I’ve got a really sore head and I’m cold.”

“Well you feel hot to me,” Charlie sounded a little worried and she looked down, noticing a fresh bruise on her sons arm. “How did you get this?” Charlie questioned and Daniel looked down before giving a little shrug. “Okay, uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips. “You go back up to bed. Have another lie down.”

“What about school?” Daniel questioned.

“Don’t worry about school today,” Charlie told him, rubbing his arm gently. “Off you go up stairs.” Charlie said, Daniel turning and walking out of the room.

Georgia furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Daniel leave before looking back to Charlie. “I sick too.” Georgia held her hand up in the air and Ruby and Brax gave a little laugh.

“Hmm really?” Charlie leaned to the side and felt Georgia’s forehead. “You seem to be eating your breakfast rather quickly to be sick.” Charlie said.

Georgia scowled before looking to Brax. “I stay home?”

“Nah,” Brax laughed, knowing his daughter wasn’t be truthful. “You need to go to day care,” Brax told her, Brax and Charlie not only sending her to day care because they had jobs but because they felt it was important for her to learn how to interact with other children her age. “And you like day care anyways,” Brax said. “You get to play with Poppy and Finn all day.”

“Yeah.” Georgia gave a half hearted sign.

“What you going to do about Daniel though?” Ruby questioned. “You both have work, right?”

“You do nights on a Monday, right?” Charlie questioned, looking to her fiancé.

“Usually but remember Angelo has gone to Melbourne to see his family for the week,” Brax exhaled before taking a drink of his orange juice. “I need to pull a double,” Brax said. “Richard is back tomorrow so Henry and I are just a bit short today.”

“Right.” Charlie pursed her lips.

“I can stay home so you can work.” Ruby said, putting a spoonful of cereal into her mouth.

“You have uni,” Charlie told her. “I’m just going to have to call the station,” Charlie said. “Right little lady go brush your teeth,” Charlie said, seeing Georgia was finished her breakfast. “Daddy will come help.” Charlie said, as Georgia left the table, Brax walking off behind her. Charlie exhaled lightly as she picked her phone up from being on the table and went to call the station, to tell them she wouldn’t be able to work her shift that day.

Kaya was holding Bianca’s hand as they walked through town to Kaya’s school. It was the first day back since the holidays and Kaya really wasn’t looking forward it one bit. “Well you’ll get to see your friends again,” Bianca tried to cheer her daughter up. “You didn’t get to see Saffron all holidays because she was away with her family.”

“Yeah,” Kaya sighed. “And she will tell me all about Fiji and the swimming and the beaches and snorkeling and everything else she got to do and I did nothing.” Kaya frowned.

“Well it’s not like we did nothing,” Bianca felt slightly offended. “We had our day at the zoo and we made all those bracelets together and went to the movies,” Bianca said. “And we get to go to the beach here all the time anyways.”

“Fiji beaches are better.” Kaya retorted.

“How do you know if you’ve never been?” Bianca questioned.

“I just do,” Kaya replied. “Next holidays from school I want you to take me there, okay?” Kaya looked up at her mother, batting her eyelashes sweetly. Bianca raised her eyebrows at her daughter and opened her mouth to reply but Kaya spoke over her. “Heath.” Kaya let go of Bianca’s hand and ran down the sidewalk as Heath was walking in their direction.

“Hello there.” Heath smiled down at Kaya before looking up to Bianca who picked up her pace to catch up with her daughter. His smile grew larger. “What’s on today?”

“I’m going to school.” Kaya told him, brushing down her blue checked school dress.

“Ah yeah of course,” Heath said. “When I left the house Charlie was getting the kids ready to go back to school.”

“School is rubbish.” Kaya scrunched her nose.

“A lot of kids think that,” Heath laughed. “But it’s important you work really hard in school so you can get a good job when you are an adult.” Heath said, glancing at Bianca who gave him a grin, appreciating what he’d told Kaya.

“Yeah,” Kaya sighed. “I’m gonna be a teacher like mummy,” Kaya pulled on Bianca’s arm. “Or a Princess or uhm a ballerina dancer.” Kaya said, of course having not quiet made her mind up yet.

“Well it’s good to have options,” Heath ruffled her hair. “So, you like dancing then?”

“Oh yes,” Kaya answered, her face lighting up. “I do ballet.”

“Wow,” Heath gasped. “So you have a pink tutu?”

“Not pink,” Kaya answered. “A blue one and a purple one.”

“Thought all little ballerina girls wore pink tutu’s.” Heath mumbled as he looked to Bianca.

“Her dance school wanted to be different.” Bianca told him.

“I can put of a show for you, Heath,” Kaya told him. “You can come to mummy’s house and watch and uhm...we can have dinner and then maybe even watch a movie with popcorn then you could even stay the night,” Kaya said, her voice getting high and squeaky at the hope her idea would happen. “Mummy has a big bed.”

“Kaya.” Bianca went a little red, which didn’t go un-noticed by Heath.

“Sounds like that would be a great night,” Heath said. “Mummy might want to tweak a few idea’s but I’d come if I was invited.” Heath spoke slowly, showing a little nerves.

“You is invited Heath. I’ve asked you.” Kaya said, before glancing up at her mother. “He can, ay mum?”

“We’ll see,” Bianca cleared her throat. “Right now I need to get you to school and I’m sure Heath is going somewhere and not just randomly walking along the sidewalk.”

“Job hunting,” Heath didn’t sound to enthused. “Unfortuamntly there’s nothing going at the restaurant and they can’t just make a position because I’m Brax’s brother, so...” Heath gave a little shrug. “We’ll see what else I can find.”

“Well good luck that,” Bianca told him, knowing it might be a bit hard given the size of the town. “I hope you get something.”

“Me too,” Heath answered. “And you remember what I said. You work hard in school.” Heath gave Kaya’s hair another ruffled before walking off, giving Bianca a cheeky wink on the way passed.

April walked back down the stairs from being in the bathroom, April having another bout of morning sickness. After taking Finn to day care April and James had popped in to see Olive, before April started uni at 10, James not having to start work at the garage until the next day. “So, did you know?” James questioned, April knowing she’d walked in on James filling Olive in on the Evan situation.

“No,” Olive sounded gobsmacked. “I swear to you, I never knew,” Olive said. “This is....” Olive looked up to April. “Are you alright, love?” Olive questioned, seeing April looked rather pale and weak.

“I’m fine.” April answered, taking a seat on the couch next to James.

Olive looked like she didn’t really believe April before looking back to James. “But seriously, Jay-bug I, I couldn’t ever keep something like that from you. It’s huge. It’s...I...I....” Olive didn’t really know what to say.

“Just how I feel,” James muttered. “I don’t know what to do, Grams,” James really did look like a lost little boy. “Part of me....a part of me wants to get to know him but then this other part of me,” James shook his head. “I...for some reason I want to hate him.”

“Maybe,” April pursed her lips, not sure if she should say it or not. “Maybe you are jealous.” April rolled her engagement ring around her finger as she looked down nervous for James’ reply.

“Why would I be jealous?” James screwed his face up.

“Well,” April exhaled. “You never got to know your father. You never got to go camping with him, or be taught how to ride a bike, shown how to skim stones, whatever father son activities there are,” April said. “Evan got all that so maybe....” April trailed off, looking to Olive who was nodding her head, like she agreed with April’s statement.

“Don’t be so ridiculous,” James scoffed. “I am not jealous.”

“Maybe try to sound more believable when you say it then.” April mumbled and James glared at her, looking angry with his fiancée for what she thought.

“She could be right, Jay. It must be hard knowing that not only do you have a little brother but that this little brother got to have a relationship with your father when you didn’t.” Olive said, seeing the look on James’ face, James not impressed that both his Grams and his fiancée were thinking James was jealous of Evan.

“I’m not -” James raised his voice to speak but stopped mid sentence as he saw April’s eyes rolling back before she feel off the couch, landing on the floor in a thud.

Thank you.

thirty-five

April fluttered her eyes before she opened them completely. She smiled as she saw Olive sitting on the chair next to her bed. “Is the baby okay?” April questioned, figuring Olive would now most likely know about the pregnancy.

“The baby is fine,” Olive told her. “What you two doing keeping this a secret from me? I’m going to become a Great Grandma again and you are not telling me?” Olive poured April a glass of water from the jug that was on the bedside table. April gave her a thankful smile before taking a drink.

“It’s still early.” April told her, putting the glass of water on the side.

“Well congratulations darling.” Olive leaned down and gave her a hug.

“Where’s Jay?” April questioned, sitting up a little more, fluffing the pillow so she was more comfortable.

“He just nipped out to the bathroom,” Olive told her. April gave a little nod before taking another drink of water. “He tells me that you’ve been pretty sick?” Olive said and April gave a little nod.

“All day every day I feel lousy,” April told her. “I really tried to stay upbeat and I enjoyed Whitsundays, I really did, but I felt so sick the whole time. I put in the effort for Jay of course. I’m sure it would have cost him a lot and for Finn too, obviously. I wanted him to have a great holiday but all I wanted to do was lay in bed.” April felt herself opening up to Olive, not wanting to worry James with her constant sickness.

“Well it’s best to keep yourself busy. Distract yourself from the sick feeling,” Olive rubbed her shoulder. “And Sid is going to get you some anti-sickness pills,” Olive told her. “Hopefully they will help settle you a little.”

“Worth a try,” April pursed her lips. “It’s funny I was never really sick with Finn. Just a handful of times when I first found out I was pregnant but it was a really easy pregnancy. Seems like this one is going to make up for it.” April put her hand onto her stomach, rubbing it gently.

“Well you do have a little Jay in there,” Olive said. “And his mum was sick till the day he was born.”

“Oh God don’t say that,” April sounded worried. “I couldn’t cope with another 7 months of this.” April looked beyond Olive as James walked back into the room.

“Hey you are awake,” James smiled as he bent down to kiss his fiancée. “You fainted,” James told her, April not saying anything about the fact James had told her the obvious. “You were dehydrated. Sid says you need to eat more and drink more water.”

April gave a little nod. “Except I eat. You know I eat plenty,” April said. “It’s just every time I do eat, give me 5 minutes and I’ll throw it up again.”

“I know,” James ran his hand through her hair. “Sid is going to give you some pills that will hopefully help with that.” James told her, still running his hand through her hair.

“Yeah Grams said.” April replied before taking another drink of her water.

“I’ll let Sid know you are awake.” Olive said as she stood up from the seat and left the room, hoping that these pills would work for April and she wouldn’t get as much morning sickness anymore.

Ruby walked out of the surf club, having grabbed a smoothie after uni finished. She made her way in the direction of her house before she spotted him walking up the beach with his surf board under his arm. “Rubes,” Evan ran up to talk with her. “Hows it going?”

“I’m good,” Ruby answered. “How about you? How are things with Jay?”

“Nah,” Evan clicked his tongue as he rested the surf board against the fencing. “Just....nah.” Evan sounded disappointed and Ruby rested her smoothie on the fence top before she lightly rubbed his arm.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby said. “I really thought he’d want to get to know you.”

“Can’t exactly make him, so...” Evan shrugged. “Gonna head back to Adelaide.”

“Really?” Ruby widened her eyes. “When? Why?”

“Well the reason I came here was to get to know my brother but he’s made it clear that’s never going to happen,” Even said, tucking his hair behind his ear. “So there not really any other reason to stay,” Evan exhaled. “Mum, my friends, uni....that’s all back in Adelaide.”

“Fair enough,” Ruby felt saddened Evan wanted to leave. He was first person since Dexter died that she could see herself with romantically. “Eh....I’ll be sad to see you go though. It’s been nice hanging out with you.”

“Yeah you too,” Evan said, lightly patting Ruby’s arm. “You’re a real nice chick.”

Ruby smiled as she looked up into Evan’s soft green eyes. “What if there was another reason for you to stay?” Ruby questioned.

“Depends what that reason would be,” Evan took a step closer to Ruby. Ruby pursed her lips before taking a deep breath. “You okay?” Evan wondered.

“This is hard for me,” Ruby mumbled. “I....” She took another deep breath. “I like you and I....I wanted to see what could happen, so I....” Ruby paused as she bit her lip. She looked back into his eyes before she leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Well that was unexpected.” Evan said with a smile as he rubbed her cheek softly. “Maybe there could be a reason for me to stick around after all.” Evan mumbled before pulling Ruby in for another kiss.

“Hey.” Brax walked into the living room, taking a seat on the couch next to Charlie.

“Hey. Bet you are glad to be done with work for the day.” Charlie said, knowing Brax would be tired after working a double shift.

“It wasn’t too bad,” Brax exhaled. “Mondays are quiet eh,” Brax wrapped his arm around Charlie. “How has Daniel been?”

“Sick,” Charlie answered. “Pretty sick. Uhm...I think I’m going to take him to the hospital tomorrow.” Charlie spoke with worry in her voice, this not going unnoticed by Brax.

“You think you need to?” Brax questioned. “He’s been sick for a day. He’s probably just got a little bug.”

“He’s had a lot of fresh unexplained bruises lately,” Charlie sighed. “I....it would just make me feel better if we got him checked over.” Charlie said, moving in the couch so she was sitting facing Brax, Brax’s arm dropping from her body as she turned to face him.

Brax sighed, feeling Charlie was over reacting. Kids sometimes got sick. “Well if you want to take him I can’t stop you,” Brax gave a little shrug as he held one hand in the other. “But Charlie, kids get sick. It’s probably nothing. You know he’s more likely to get bugs and infections now. His immune system isn’t what it used to be.”

“Yeah and there’s reason for that.” Charlie raised her voice a little.

“Babe he is in remission,” Brax exhaled. “You just had him in for his check-up not even a month ago. He’s in the clear. The cancer is gone.” Brax said, his hand lightly rubbing Charlie’s thigh as he spoke softly, trying to keep her assured.

“A lot can change in only a few weeks,” Charlie said, feeling angry Brax didn’t want to double check their son was okay. “He’s staying off school. I’m taking the day off work and we are going to that hospital to get him checked over.”

“Okay fine,” Brax held his hands out in front of him. “If it’s what you want to do who am I to stop you.” Brax said, of course understanding Charlie’s concern but he felt it was a little premature to worry so much so quickly.

“I thought you’d be more concerned too,” Charlie sounded surprised. “He’s our little boy and he’s had cancer. He feels ill and you aren’t that little bit concerned?”

“Of course I’m concerned that he’s sick but it’s not going be the cancer coming back,” Brax said. “People get sick Charlie,” Brax told her, his voice raising slightly. “He’s had his cancer and he’s beat i and he won’t have to go through that again, okay. He just won’t.”

“You don’t know that,” Charlie also raised her voice as she stood up from the couch. “I hope to God that you are right, but with this, you never know.” Charlie said before turning and making her way out of the room.

“Where you going?” Brax sighed as he stood up from the couch.

“To check on my son.” Charlie spat, not looking back to him a she walked out of the living room door and walked up the stairs to check on Daniel.

Thank you Romeo&Indi Forever, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Aden_Romeo_Lover2010 for the comments.

thirty-six

Charlie was in the kitchen, tenderising the steak with the mallet. “You hit that anymore there won’t be any meat to cook,” Ruby said, putting her folders down on the kitchen table before walking over to the worktop, pushing herself up so she was sitting on top. Charlie banged the piece of steak a few more times before putting the mallet down and looking up to face her daughter. “Everything okay? “ Ruby questioned.

“Daniel had to get blood tests today,” Charlie told her daughter. “We have to wait till tomorrow to get the results and I.....” Charlie pursed her lips, her hands resting against the worktop. “Brax acted like the cancer returning wasn’t even a possibility. He went off to work this morning not even asking if I wanted him to come to the hospital with me and....” Charlie trailed off. “I’m so scared and he’s acting like he doesn’t care.”

“Of course he cares,” Ruby leaned forward and rubbed her mother’s arm. “Maybe him denying there’s a possibility of Daniel getting sick again is his way of coping.” Ruby suggested.

“Yeah and what if it is back?” Charlie questioned. “How’s he going to cope then?” Charlie wondered. “Still be in denial?” Charlie clicked her tongue as she shook her head. “I need him to accept that this is a possibility because then I’m really going to need him to get through this again,” Charlie welled up with tears. “And Daniel is going to need him and...” Charlie’s voice became a mumble, Ruby not knowing what her mother was saying.

“Hey hey,” Ruby jumped down from the worktop and rubbed her mother’s arm. “If we get the news we don’t want then he’ll step up. He’ll be there for you, for Daniel, Georgia and me,” Ruby exhaled. “He’s your rock and he’ll never let you down,” Charlie gave a little nod as a tear rolled down her cheek. She took a deep breath, knowing Ruby was right and that Brax would be there for her in times of need. “Maybe if you just let him know that instead of being mad with him -”

“Mummy,” Georgia came running into the kitchen. She was dressed in her nurse’s dress-up outfit, a little stethoscope around her neck, Georgia having been looking after Daniel who was in bed, still feeling sick. Charlie wiped the tear from her face before looking down to her daughter. “Daniel’s sick.” Georgia told her, moving her hair from in front of her face.

“He’s been sick again?”Charlie questioned and Georgia nodded as she screwed her face up, clearly not liking having been there when her brother was sick. “I’ll go check on him.” Charlie said, glancing at Ruby before getting a glass and filling it with water, to take a drink up for her son.

“C’mon trouble we’ll keep preparing dinner huh?”Ruby said and Georgia nodded as she ran over to her sister, Ruby lifting her up onto the worktop. She turned to face Charlie, watching her as she left the room. She pursed her lips, of course worried for her little brother, but she also hoped to talk to Charlie about the developments between her and Evan but was pretty sure that now wouldn’t be the best time with Charlie going to be distracted with Daniel’s wellbeing.

“You okay buddy?” Charlie walked into Daniel’s room, seeing he was trying to wipe up his sick from the carpet.

“I’m sorry I hit the carpet.” Daniel sounded like he was going to cry, as he kept dabbing the bathroom towel against the carpet, trying to soak up the sick.

“Don’t you worry about that,” Charlie ran her hand over his head. “You take a drink of this,” Charlie handed Daniel the water, Daniel taking a drink. “Mummy will get this cleaned up. You still feel like you’re going to be sick?” Charlie questioned.

“My tummy is hurting but I don’t think I’m going to be sick yet.” Daniel answered, Charlie seeing he was shaking.

“Okay well you go lie down.” Charlie instructed, Daniel walking back over to his bed, placing the glass of water on the bedside table and crawling under the covers, bringing them right up over himself, his head the only part of him Charlie could see. She took another deep breath, knowing she couldn’t let Daniel see how worried she was before she continued to clean up the sick.

“Yeehaa,” Finn circled his hand in the air, like a cowboy about to use a lasso. James was moving around the living room on all fours, Finn sitting on his back, James of course being the horse for Cowboy Finn. Finn dressed in his cowboy dress up clothes, a grin on his face as he enjoyed the game he was playing with his father. “Go horsey go.” Finn kicked his legs against James’ sides. James moved around the living room floor, having to dodge passed Finn toys that were thrown around everywhere.

“Are we not there yet?” James questioned. “This trip in taking an awfully long time.” James’ breathing was starting to get heavy. April looked over from the kitchen where she was getting herself a peppermint tea, having been told it could help ease her sickness.

“No,” Finn gave a little giggle as he kicked his sides again. “Go go go,” Finn said. “Faster horsey. Run horsey.”

James tried to go a little faster, April seeing he was about to collapse into a heap if he had to continue this much longer. “Right bud I think you’ve played that long enough,” April walked over and took a seat on the couch, taking a sip of her tea, screwing her face up at the taste. “Off you get and clean up this mess.” April looked around the living room; the place looking like a bomb had hit it.

Finn frowned before jumping down James’ back and started clearing his toys away. James stood up and walked over to the couch, giving a sigh of relief as he sat down next to April, his breathing regulating as he placed his hand on her thigh. “How you feeling?”

“Okay,” April screwed her face up against as she swallowed a mouthful of the tea. “This is gross though.”

“Well it might help settle you a bit,” James said. “So keep drinking.”

“I am.” April answered, taking another drink.

“Mummy,” Finn picked up one of his toys and walked over to the toy box, putting it inside. “You could help clean.”

“Oh I could?” April stifled a laugh. “I don’t think it’s my mess.”

“Daddy?” Finn glanced up at James.

“Not my mess either.” James answered and Finn sighed as he continued to pick up his toys.

“This rubbish.” Finn frowned, still doing as he was told and putting his toys away.

“It’s good to be clean,” April told him. “While you are at it you can go clean the kitchen for mummy.” April said and Finn stared up at her as he put his lego back into the lego box.

“I have to clean by myself?” Finn questioned.

“Oh yeah,” James laughed. “Then you can make dinner.”

“Daddy,” Finn gasped. “I can’t cook. I’s only is 3.” Finn held up 3 fingers as he spoke.

April gave a little laugh. “You don’t need to clean the kitchen or make dinner,” April told her son. “We are just teasing you. But you do need to keep putting these toys away.”

“Yeah,” Finn sighed as put the last of the lego into the box before crawling over to the arm chair, pulling Jumpy the wallaby out from being underneath the chair. “What’s this?” Finn questioned, pulling out the bit of paper from under the armchair. He looked down to it before running over to his parents, Jumpy being tucked under his arms.

He climbed up onto the couch, sitting himself on April’s knee as he handed her the paper. April pursed her lips as she saw it was the cheque from Evan. She looked up to James, seeing if he was going to answer. “That’s daddy’s,” James took it into his hand, folding it in half. “Glad you found that. I need to take it to the bank.”

“It money?” Finn questioned.

“Yeah,” James answered, looking at April who was looking rather surprised at James saying he was going to take it to the bank. “And once this money is in the bank we are going to shopping and you’re going to get some cool new things.”

“Wow,” Finn’s little face lit up as he looked to his mother before looking back to James. “And for mummy too?”

“Of course I’m going to get mummy something.” James answered.

“Jay,” April spoke softly. “Do go wasting the money on things we don’t need.”

“I won’t,” James answered. “But there’s plenty money there to get a little treat each.” James said before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on April’s lips. Part of him still didn’t want to take the money. He didn’t want anything of Derek’s but he knew that this money would help give his wife to be and kids a better life and their needs would always come first.

Thanks for the comments.

thirty-seven

Ruby walked into the living room and sat down on the couch next to her mother. She glanced at the TV before looking to her mother then back to the TV. She picked up the remote and hit the mute button before turning a little on the couch. Charlie looked around to Ruby, knowing she wanted to talk about something. “Everything okay?” Charlie questioned.

“Where’s Brax?” Ruby wondered.

“Putting Georgia to bed,” Charlie answered. “Why?”

“Just wondered,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “Uhm...I wanted to talk about....” Ruby pursed her lips. “Evan said he was leaving town yesterday.”Ruby exhaled, running one hand over the other.

“Things not going well with James then?” Charlie questioned and Ruby shook her head. “That’s a shame,” Charlie said. “So how do you feel about him leaving?” Charlie questioned.

“I uhm...” Ruby pursed her lips. “I’m not sure he’s going to leave now,” Ruby said, Charlie looking a little confused. “I kissed him.” Ruby said, feeling a little relieved that she’d told someone. She was desperate to talk about how it made her feel.

“Wow that’s uhm....” Charlie trailed off. “Are you regretting kissing him or are you ready to.....keep kissing him.” Charlie screwed her face up a little at her choice of words.

Ruby gave a little shrug. “I like him. I really like him but it’s only been 6 months and I....I’m scared that if I start dating Evan that I’m going to forgot Dex and then there’s what Sid and Sasha will think.” Ruby exhaled, looking really confused and lost about what to do.

“Don’t worry what anyone else thinks,” Charlie moved closer to her daughter, taking her hand in hers. “As long as you feel ready then its okay,” Charlie told her. “And I’ve told you before but you are never going to forget Dex. What you had was special and he’ll always have a place in your heart.” Charlie told her.

Ruby gave a little nod at what her mother told her. “And what about....like I’m going to need to take this slow. Like slower than snail pace slow.”

“I’m sure Evan will understand that,” Charlie said, rubbing her thumb over her daughter’s hand. “How much does he know about Dex?”

“Nothing really,” Ruby shook her head. “He’s knows I had a boyfriend that died but that’s it,” Ruby said. “You know how I feel when it comes to talking about Dex.”

“I know,” Charlie nodded her head. “But if you want to start something up with Evan then maybe he needs to know,” Charlie suggested. “It’ll probably be easier for you and for him if he knows about the life you had with Dex.”

“Mmm,” Ruby gave a little nod. “Well I guess I need to find out if he is actually going to stay first,” Ruby bit her lip. “So anyways, uhm.....you and Brax talked yet?” Ruby said, it being very awkward over dinner, Charlie not afraid to show she was angry with her fiancé.

Charlie shook her head. “Georgia’s been around us ever since he got home from work so....” Charlie trailed off. “Not going to argue in front of her.”

“Well I guess that’s true,” Ruby exhaled. “But maybe you could just try talking calmly. Don’t need to turn it into an argument.”

“We’re both pretty hot headed,” Charlie said, playing with her engagement ring as she spoke. “You know how quickly a conversation between me and Brax can escalate.”

“That I do,” Ruby laughed, looking up as she heard a floorboard creak from up the stairs. “Well that sounds like he’s just left Gee’s room,” Ruby said, there being a creaky floorboard at her bedroom door. “So, go talk to him.” Ruby instructed.

“Yes mum.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she stood up from the couch and walked out of the living room, taking a deep breath as she made her way up the stairs to talk with Brax.

Heath had been over to Bianca’s for dinner, Bianca having cooked him a lasagne. Kaya had decided she was going to put on a dance show for them, so she’d rushed to her room after dinner to practise and still hadn’t appeared out. “It’s going to be her bedtime before she appears out to do this.” Bianca said, glancing down at her watch.

“Must be some show we’re about to see.” Heath said and Bianca gave a little chuckle.

“Thanks for saying she can put on a show for you.” Bianca said, her hand gently grazing his thigh as they moved a little closer to each other on the couch.

“No worries,” Heath answered. “I’m just glad she seems to like me because it kinda makes it easier for us if we are going be seeing each other.”Heath said, putting his hand onto her knee and rubbing it gently.

“It does,” Bianca smiled as she looked into his eyes. She loved his eyes. “So uhm, how did the job hunting go yesterday?” Bianca wondered, hoping Heath had found something.

“Ah I got an interview but I’m not sure I am going to go to be honest.” Heath answered.

“Why not?” Bianca questioned. “Where is the job for?”

“Working on the fishing trawler,” Heath screwed his face up. “Not really something I fancy.”

“Well it doesn’t sound the best but it would be a job for now,” Bianca told him. “Can always keep looking elsewhere and in the mean time you’d be making money.”

“True,” Heath exhaled. “Well the interview is tomorrow so I guess there’s no harm in going,” Heath said, his eyes locking with Bianca’s as she was still staring into his. He gave her a smile as he brought his hand up and gently rubbed her cheek. “You are beautiful.” Heath whispered and Bianca bit her lip, Heath seeing she was going a little red, like she was embarrassed. He stifled a laugh as he leaned forward and placed a soft, tender kiss on her lips. “So,” Heath pursed his lips as he pulled back. “There’s this band playing in a pub in Yabbie Creek on Friday night. “I thought that we could go?”

“Sure,” Bianca answered. “I uhm...I need to find a sitter for Kaya but I’m sure that’ll be doable so, yeah, I’d love to go with you.”

Heath grinned. “Great. It’s a date.” Heath said before placing another kiss on Bianca’s lips, Bianca smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“I didn’t mean to make it look like I don’t care. I’m sorry,” Brax said, running one hand over the other. “I just...of course I care. I care so much. So so much about that boy and I...” Brax paused. “It was just easier to believe there’d be nothing wrong with him than have to admit the possibility of the cancer returning,” Brax said. “I uh, I....” Brax exhaled, looking down.

Charlie took a step closer to him and rubbed his arm. “I’m sorry too,” Charlie said. “People process things differently and I....I shouldn’t be mad at you for always trying to be positive about things,” Charlie bit her lips. “I’m definitely the over protective, worrying parent here.”

Brax stifled a laugh. “You have reason to be,” Brax said. “He’s been through this once already and of course you aren’t going to want it to return,” Brax looked back up to her as he rubbed her cheek. “When’s his blood results back?”

“Tomorrow,” Charlie answered. “They’ve eh....fast tracked them.”

Brax gave a little nod. “Okay,” Brax took a deep breath. “We ehm.....we’ll not panic until they come through, yeah?”

“I’m trying,” Charlie told him. “I just.....sometimes it’s hard to be positive when you’re life has mostly been one bad thing after the other.” Charlie said, shaking her head a little as she looked away from Brax.

“It’s not been that bad, has it?” Brax questioned. “You’ve got 3 beautiful children, a strapping fiancé,” Brax gave a cheeky grin. “We’re going to have the wedding soon and Kobe will hopefully get to come live with us. That’s some positives coming up, right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “Just you know.....losing the twins, Daniel’s cancer, how I.....how I got Daniel and Ruby, the whole Roman stuff.....” Charlie trailed off. “I’m obviously thankful now that Roman and I ended because now I have you and Georgia but and the time I....” Charlie clicked her tongue as she stopped talking. “It’s just like its one thing after the other. We hit a rough patch after I lost the twins and just when things were finally falling back into place Daniel might be ill again and I just....why can’t we have an easy run for a while?” Charlie sounded like she was about to cry. Brax pulled her into a tight hug, rubbing her back as he placed a soft kiss on her head.

“I don’t think life was ever meant to be easy,” Brax mumbled. “But we are strong. We’ll get through whatever life throws at us together,” Brax assured her. “I promise you that.” Brax said, placing another kiss on her head as he continued to hold her tight in the embrace.

Thank you. :)

thirty-eight

Charlie, Brax and Daniel walked back into the house from being at the hospital. Much to everyone’s relief, Daniel’s cancer was still in remission and it had just been ruled out as a stomach bug. Daniel went straight up to his room, wanting to have a lie down. Charlie threw her bag down onto the couch, before looking up to Brax who was walking into the room. She walked up to him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug, Brax feeling the relief pouring out of her. “It’s alright. He’s fine.” Brax spoke softly as he rubbed her back.

“Did I overreact?” Charlie questioned, staying in the embrace for a little longer.

“You had rights to be worried and there’s no harm in checking,” Brax answered, continuing to rub her back. “But like I said, kids get sick. Daniel will get sick and it’s not going to automatically mean the cancer is returning.”

“I’ll try to keep that in mind for next time,” Charlie said as she pulled back from the embrace. Brax gave her a little smile as he tucked her hair behind her ear, before placing a soft kiss on her lips before leading her over to the couch, both of them taking a seat. Charlie looked down to her engagement ring, giving a little smile. “And you’re right, about what you said last night,” Charlie looked around to Brax as she spoke. “About having the wedding coming up and hopefully the foster care application is accepted so we can have Kobe here with us,” Charlie said. “There are good thing coming.”

“Yeah,” Brax grinned as he rubbed Charlie’s thigh. “And who knows, maybe by Christmas we can say we’re cooking another little Braxton.” Brax moved his hand up so it was on Charlie’s stomach. Charlie looked down before looking back to Brax, Brax not about to let her forget he wanted more children.

“Maybe,” Charlie pursed her lips. It’s not that she didn’t want to ever have another child, but right now she wouldn't say she wanted to try any time soon. “But you know if we do get Kobe then we should let him settle first. How do you think he would feel if we get him then right away have a baby of our own? It would be like saying he’s not good enough so we want another one of our own.”

Brax screwed his face up a little. “Not really,” Brax exhaled. “We’re not going to stop having more kids of our own because we foster. Growing up around heaps of brothers and sisters can only be a good thing for Kobe. He’ll learn to open up and interact and have so many people to love him.” Brax said. Charlie pursed her lips as she gave a sort of nod.

“Well anyways,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “The wedding then Kobe coming to live with us are the important things on my mind right now,” Charlie said, her hand brushing over her stomach. She would still be pregnant with the twins so wasn’t yet able to think about trying again so soon. “Baby talk is for the future. Quiet a nice bit into the future,” Charlie said before standing up from the couch. “I’m gonna go check on Daniel.” Charlie told him, before turning and walking out of the room, leaving Brax sitting wondering if Georgia was going to be his only biological child.

April walked into the apartment, glad to be finished uni for the day. She was in from 9am till 6.30pm on a Wednesday, something she never appreciated anytime but now she was pregnant and had bad sickness, it was even less appreciated. “Hey hun,” James walked over to her and wrapped his arm around her as he kissed her lips softly. “How was uni?”

“Ugh,” April threw her bag and folders down onto the couch before following James to the kitchen, seeing some pans cooking away. “I missed most of my fist class because I was in the toilet chucking up,” April sighed. “Tina photocopied all her notes for me but I could have really done with not missing out.”

“I’m sorry,” James smiled sympathetically as he stirred one of the pans. “Those tablets not working then?”

“Well it’s only the first day I’ve taken them so maybe eventually they’ll start working.” April walked over to the cooker, peaking into the pans to see what was cooking, although not to her surprise, James was making spaghetti and meatballs. If James was ever cooking, you could guarantee it would be spaghetti and meatballs.

“It’s almost ready.” James told her, stirring the meatballs in the spicy tomato sauce.

April gave a little nod as she looked over to the table and saw it was only set for two. “Where’s Finn?” April questioned, wondering why she wasn’t greeted by her toddler when she came home, like normal.

“Grams offered to take him for the night,” James said. “And you know how much he loves staying at Grams’ place.”

“Because she spoils that boy rotten.” April mumbled.

“Well yes but he is her great grandson,” James said, turning the hobs off before grabbing the strainer to drain the spaghetti. “So it’s part of her job description to spoil him.” James said as April took the bowls out of the warmer drawer, putting them up on the breakfast bar so James could serve up dinner.

“Mmm,” April raised her eyebrows before noticing the book on the breakfast bar. “The big book of baby names.” April read the title out loud.

“I know it’s a bit early but,” James pursed his lips as he dished pasta into the bowls. “Well actually is it ever to early to be talking baby names?” James questioned, putting the pan to one side and picking up the next pan, dishing the meatballs and sauce over the top of the spaghetti. April gave a little shrug as she walked over to the table and picked up the jug of iced water and poured two glasses.

“Maybe before 12 weeks,” April answered as James carried the bowls across. “But have you got a name you like?” April questioned as they sat down to eat.

“Addison for a girl,” James smiled, looking for a reaction from April. April curled her nose before taking a drink of her water. She shook her head as she put the glass back down on the table.

“I was actually thinking, for a girl,” April pursed her lips. “What would you say to calling her Victoria?” April questioned and James widened his eyes, his hand going onto his chest.

“Like after my mum?” James questioned and April gave a little nod.

“I love the sound of Victoria King,” April told him. “Sounds like a very smart, intelligent little girl.”

“Wow I....” James was speechless. “That would mean the world to me and I know Grams would....it would really touch her too.” James couldn’t take the grin off his face and his fiancées suggestion.

“Well looks like we might have named our daughter already,” April smiled. “You have any boys’ names?”

“Well, sort of,” James exhaled, before taking a forkful of his food, watching as April span the spaghetti around her fork. “Obviously my name is James.” James swallowed.

“Ah no way?” April gasped. “I always wondered what your name was and now I know,” April joked and James gave a little laugh. “Seriously though, what were you going to say?”

“Well my Granddad’s middle name was James, his dad’s middle name was James, his dad’s name was James and his dad’s was too,” James said. “You see where I am going?”

“James is a family name,” April nodded. “So you want to call our son James?” April questioned, taking a drink of her water.

“Maybe not his first name,” James told her. “The middle name as James would be just as good.”

“Okay,” April gave a little nod. “We can put James in there somewhere.” April told him, before continuing to eat her dinner, really hoping that she wouldn’t bring it all back up again later.

“Thanks for coming round,” Irene said as she welcome Charlie into the house. She saw Kobe sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, staring blankly at the wall. Charlie looked to Irene questioningly, wondering if perhaps Irene had placed in into the naughty spot for some reason. Irene just shrugged, not really know why Kobe was sitting there. “He sits like that most nights,” Irene told her. “He eats with me, then goes and sits there. I keep telling him he doesn’t have to but he doesn’t really talk to me,” Irene said, feeling like maybe it was time to ask DOCS to find him another placement. “Anyways, I really need him to bath,” Irene said. “He won’t let me in the bathroom with him. I run him a bath but I’m not sure he ever goes in. Maybe he just hangs in the bathroom for a while. He doesn’t look like he’s washed in a long time and he’s a bit....” Irene lowered her voice. “He’s starting to smell.”

“So, you want me to bath him?” Charlie questioned, pointing to herself.

“You are the only person he talks too,” Irene answered. “His little face always lights up when he’s around you,” Irene told her. “I think you’ll be able to get him to do anything.”

Charlie pursed her lips before walking a little closer to Kobe. “Hey Kobe.” Charlie said, Kobe instantly looking around as he heard the voice.

“Sarg,” Kobe beamed as he stood up and ran over to her, his hand touching the side of her leg. “Can we play?” Kobe questioned.

“Sure we can,” Charlie told him. “And remember you can call me Charlie,” Charlie said, Kobe giving a little nod. “How about we play with some bath toys?” Charlie suggested.

“Uhm,” Kobe looked down. “I don’t want to bath.”

“Well we need to keep ourselves clean,” Charlie said. “Just a quick wash then we can play something.” Charlie suggested, Kobe looking up to her, Charlie seeing fear in his eyes.

“You won’t get mad?” Kobe questioned his tone very quiet as he pulled at the bottom of his t-shirt.

“Why would I get mad?” Charlie wondered. Kobe looked behind her to Irene before looking back to Charlie. He took her hand in his and led her to the bathroom, making sure to shut the door, not wanting Irene to follow. Charlie looked to the bath, seeing Irene had already run one. She checked the temperature was still warm before looking back to Kobe. He stared up and Charlie for a moment before taking a deep breath. He took his t-shirt off before turning around, Charlie gasping as she saw the two red lines across his back, that she could only describe as whip marks. There were also a few big bruises, the boy obviously bearing some beatings. Charlie of course knew he’d been neglected and abused but wasn’t fully aware it was actual physical abuse, Charlie now not allowed to be on the case with his parents, giving her interest in the fostering of him. “Oh sweetie,” Charlie gently ran her hand over his back. “Is this why you don’t want to bath?”

“I’m sorry,” Kobe mumbled as he turned to face her. “I’m clumsy.” Kobe bowed his head down, not looking at Charlie.

“I don’t think you got this because you were clumsy,” Charlie muttered, anger bubbling up inside her that anyone could do this to a child. “But Kobe darling,” Charlie put her hands onto his arms, rubbing them gently. “No one is ever going to hurt you like that again,” Charlie told him. “You are safe here with Irene, I promise you.” Charlie gave a little smile as Kobe looked up her, his finger going on her cheek and lightly tracing her face.

“I’d like to stay with you.” Kobe told her.

“I know,” Charlie said, feeling herself getting emotional. “And Brax and I want you to come live with us more than anything,” Charlie told him, Kobe giving her a smile. “But Tanya needs to sort out some stuff so that that can happen,” The papers were being processed so that Kobe could hopefully soon come and live with Charlie and her family; of course it was just going to take some time. “But until it does, Irene will look after you and hey, you can come and play with the kids sometime huh?” Charlie suggested. “Do you like to swim?” Charlie questioned. “The kids love being in our swimming pool.”

Kobe gave a little shrug. “I don’t know how.”

“Well then we are going to need to teach you how to do that, aren’t we?” Charlie questioned and Kobe gave a little nod, once again tracing his finger around Charlie’s face.

“You are the nicest ever lady Charlie.” Kobe said, taking Charlie a little by surprise as he leapt into her arms, hugging her tightly. Charlie gently rubbed his back as she placed a soft kiss on his temple, hoping that it wouldn’t be too long before DOCS gave them a definite answer.

Thanks for the comments. :)

thirty-nine

“Morning,” James wrapped his arms around April from behind, his hands resting on her tiny bump as he kissed her neck. “Today is the day we can tell him, right?” James sounded excited as he kissed her again.

“Uh-huh,” April nodded as she turned around to face James. James face lighting up, like he was a kids on Christmas morning. “But after the scan,” April told him, James pouting a little. “That way we have a picture to show him and we’ll have a due date,” April said, April and James having their 12 week appointment at the hospital today. “I mean math says I am due in December but we’ll have more of an idea when.”

“Our little Christmas baby,” James cooed as he rubbed her stomach. “Aww wouldn’t that be lovely having a brand new baby in the apartment with us on Christmas day?” James questioned.

“Mmm,” April nodded. “Would mean I would finally stop being sick too.” April exhaled, over the last 5 weeks her sickness still not easing. The pills helped for a few days, but then they seemed to give up working.

“I’m sorry hun,” James tucked her hair behind her ear. “I wish I could take the sickness for you.”

“You want to back ache and constant need to go urinate too?” April questioned. “And my breasts are sore, not to mention humongous.” April sighed.

“Well I am not going to complain about that,” James laughed. “Although it’s not like you were small before pregnancy,” James exhaled. “You have lovely boobies.”

“Boobies.” Finn giggled as he ran into the kitchen, his Spiderman backpack April had packed the night before on his shoulders, Finn ready for day care.

“Don’t you repeat that word,” April looked down to her son. “You ready for school?”

“Yeah,” Finn answered with a little jump, his glass going to the swimming pool for lessons that morning. “Going swimming. I love swim swim swim.”

“I bet you are the best little dude in the class,” James said, Finn grinning as he nodded vigorously. “You can already swim on your own, huh?”

“I bestest,” Finn answered. “But uhm,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “Georgia is good.”

“Of course,” James exhaled. “She’s a Braxton. She’ll be disowned if she’s not good in the water,” James gave a little laugh before looking to his watch. “Right, we’ll get you to day care then huh.” James said as he held his hand out. Finn took James’ hand as April picked her school bag and folders, of course having to go to uni after her hospital appointment. James grabbed the car keys from the hanger before opening the door, the three of them leaving the apartment to get on with their day.

Tanya was sitting on the arm chair, two sets of little eyes staring up at her. They’d been approved for fostering and Tanya was just doing one last home check before giving the okay for Kobe to come and stay. “Kids, stop staring at the poor woman.” Brax said, sitting down in between the kids as Charlie handed Tanya her coffee, taking a seat on the couch next to Daniel.

“Sorry I’m late,” Ruby ran into the living room. “Uni lecturer decided to keep talking and talking....” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Anyways, hey.”Ruby waved across to Tanya as she sat on the armchair opposite her.

“I remember what uni was like,” Tanya gave her a smile. “What you studying?”

“Music,” Ruby answered, reaching forward and taking a biscuit from the plate on the table. “So everything going good?” Ruby said looking at her mother.

“It’s all great,” Tanya answered. “Just wanted to talk with you kids and see what you think about another child coming to live here.”

“Well I think it’s awesome they want to help a kid in need,” Ruby smiled. “They’ve got big hearts and plenty room here for another little child. He’d be well looked after.” Ruby said.

Tanya gave a smile before looking to Daniel. “What about you? What do you think about mummy and daddy wanting to foster?”

“It’s nice they want to help someone,” Daniel answered. “And it’s cool that it’s a boy because I’ve already got two sisters so a brother would be fun to play with. We could play superheros and skating and stuff like that that Georgia doesn’t like.”

“And little Georgia,” Tanya smiled down at the girl who shyly cuddled into Brax. “What do you think?”

“No a boy,” Georgia curled her nose. “A sister.” Georgia said before she jumped down from the couch and ran around the back, hiding from Tanya.

“Well it seems like the kids are split.” Tanya said, jotting stuff down on the paper in front of her.

“Yeah but she’s two,” Charlie said. “I mean surely her opinion can’t really decide if we get to do this or not?”

“No no,” Tanya shook her head. “God when my daughter first met her new brother she wasn’t the slightest bit amused with him,” Tanya said. “They’re as thick as thieves now,” Tanya said, taking a drink of her coffee. “So you’re brother is still in the room upstairs?”

“For now,” Brax nodded. “But Daniel has bunk beds so there’s a bed for him still,” Brax said. “And my bother won’t be here forever. He’s looking for a place of his own.”

“Just a little slowly.” Charlie mumbled and Tanya gave a nod of her head before once again taking a drink of her coffee, Charlie lifting Georgia up onto her knee as she’d made her way around the couch to her mother. Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter as Georgia shyly cuddled against her.

“And you are okay to share your room?” Tanya said looking back to Daniel.

“Uh-uh,” Daniel nodded. “I’ve never shared a room before. Well except when uhm my friends sleep over or I’m at their place but yeah, it could be fun.” Daniel spoke with a smile on his face.

“Well that’s very nice of you to be willing to share your room,” Tanya said, Brax smiling at his son as he ruffled his hair. “Well,” Tanya took more coffee, before placing the cup down on the coffee table. “I think we’ve got all we need here,” Tanya said as she stood up. “I’ll give you a call over the next couple of days.” Tanya said, Brax and Charlie standing up after her and walking out of the room with her, showing her out, both of them sharing a nervous glance, hoping she’d be phoning to say she was bringing Kobe to stay.

“Little dude,” James shouted through the apartment. “Come here.” Finn came running from his bedroom, Finn wanting to change into his Spiderman outfit.

“What?” Finn questioned, his hands on his hips as he looked up to his parents.

“Mummy and daddy have something to tell you.” April told him, patting space on the couch between her and James as she spoke. Finn ran over and climbed up onto the couch, sitting in-between his parents.

“Is I in troubles?” Finn questioned looking back and forth from each parent.

“No,” James shook his head, the scan picture in his hand. “This is something really good.”

“Oh,” Finn gasped. “Is it a puppy?”

“Nah,” James laughed. “It’s better than a puppy.”

“Two puppies?” Finn squealed.

“Nope,” James shook his head. “Even better than two puppies.” James said, looking to April and giving her a smile.

“Three puppies?” Finn squealed, hardly able to contain his excitement at the though of getting 3 dogs.

“Even better than three -” James started but April cut him off.

“Jay that could go on forever,” April sighed. “Just tell him what it is.” April said, James giving a little.

“Well,” James looked down to Finn, Finn staring up at his father, his big brown eyes all wide in suspense. “Mummy is going to have a baby.”

Finn opened his mouth wide before looking down to April’s stomach. “That’s a baby?” Finn gasped as he put his hand on April’s tiny bump that had started to appear.

“Yeah,” James answered. “You think mummy was just getting fat from all the cake she’s been eating lately?” James questioned, April having a very sweet tooth as of late.

“Yeah,” Finn giggled. “But it a baby?” Finn gasped again. “Wow a baby.”

“Look,” James handed Finn the scan picture. “That’s your little brother or sister,” James said. Finn once again gasped as he put his hand over the scan. “What do you think?” James questioned as April ran her hand over Finn’s head.

“Wow,” Finn gasped yet again. “I like it,” Finn looked up to April. “Whens it coming out?” Finn questioned, wanting to meet his sibling right away.

“Not for a while yet,” April answered. “He needs to grow big and strong first. He’ll be here December 25th.” April told him.

“That’s Christmas,” Finn shrieked. “I get a baby for Christmas,” Finn yelled in excitement as he shook his arms out vigorously. “Oh wow.” Finn suddenly jumped up on the couch as flung himself at April, giving her a big kiss as he wrapped his arms around her.

“I think he’s happy.” April laughed as he wrapped her arms around her son, returning the hug.

“Little bit, it seems.” James laughed before leaning forward placing a soft kiss on April’s lips, happy that Finn was pleased at the news of the pregnancy.

Thanks

forty

“Nana Nana Nana,” Finn burst through the door of Irene’s house, clutching the scan picture in his hands. “Nana,” Finn jumped around in front of her. “Look what I gettin’.” Finn held the picture up to her, Irene widening her eyes as she took it in her hands.

“Aww April,” Irene looked up to her, a grin on her face. “That’s lovely news. Congratulations.” Irene walked over and pulled her into a hug.

“Thanks,” April smiled as Irene went to hug James. April, James and Finn were going to be having dinner with Irene. “Was a bit of a surprise but it’s exciting.”

“Aw,” Irene once again looked down to the scan as Finn was dancing around beside her. “Looks like he’s a little excited too.”

“Just a bit eh.” James laughed at his son.

“Hey Finn Kobe is in the bedroom,” Irene told him. “Why don’t you go play with him till dinner is ready?” Irene questioned and Finn gave a little nod before he ran off into the bedroom to play with the boy.

“You and him getting on any better?” April questioned as they walked over to the living room and sat down.

“He speaks if he is spoken too,” Irene answered. “But I guess with the home life he has had so far maybe that was always the rule for him.” Irene felt sad at how Kobe kept himself at a distance from everyone but of course he hadn’t had an easy start in life so of course would find it difficult to trust adults.

“Poor kid,” James shook his head, not beginning to be able to understand what it must be like for him, moving to different houses, not having anyone there to tell him he was loved. “But it seems like he’s going to go live with Charlie and Brax soon eh?”

Irene gave a little nod. “I really hope so. He’s really struck up a great bond with Charlie. She’s so soft and gentle with him, really is gaining his trust.” Charlie often came around to see Kobe, only being there for a small amount of time, but it was making a difference. There was a connection, which would be great if he did get to stay with her, and even if not, it let Kobe see that not everyone would hurt him. Kobe had also been at Charlie’s place, bonding with the kids. Although Kobe never spoke to them, he played with them and that was a start.

“And if not?” April questioned. “Would you keep him staying here?”

“I don’t know,” Irene shook her head. “Don’t get me wrong, he’s the sweetest little thing, but I....I’m too old to be caring for a 5 year old permanently,” Irene exhaled. “He needs a young energetic family to care for him,” Irene said, both James and April seeming to nod in agreement at what would be best for the boy. “So anyways, tell me more about this baby.”

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips, not sure she really had anything else to tell Irene right now. “Well I‘m due December 25th which is probably good timing on our part because I’ll have the baby in the summer holidays so won’t need to miss any uni.” April said, her being in school and completing her degree very important to her still.

“A Christmas baby.” Irene smiled.

“I’m sorting hoping I go a little early or a little late though,” April told her. “I want to be with Finn for Christmas Day.”

“Of course,” Irene answered. “So, how you feeling health wise?” Irene questioned. “I’ve thought you’ve looked a bit peaky a few times, to be honest. Now I see why.”

“Uhm,” April shook her head. “90 per cent of the time I feel like crap,” April exhaled. “I got pills to help me but they didn’t really work for long,” April told her. “I’m sick as soon as I wake up then randomly it happens, then when I eat,” April exhaled. “Fun times.” April rolled her eyes, sighing lightly and James bit his lip as he put his hand on her stomach.

“But look at the reason why that’s happening.” James rubbed April’s stomach and April glared at him before throwing his hand away from her.

“I need to go pee.” April muttered standing up at walking over to the bathroom, the door slamming shut.

Irene saw the look on James’ face. “It’s just the hormones.” Irene stood up and patted his shoulder before walking through to the kitchen to check on dinner.

Ruby moaned as the kiss deepened a little, Evan’s hands caressing her back. She ran her hands down his arms, the only increasing to intensify. “Mmm.” Ruby pulled back before sitting up on the bed, leaning herself against the headboard. She looked down as she pursed her lips, Evan sitting himself in the same position as her on the bed.

“It’s okay,” Evan spoke softly as he put his hand on her thigh. “There’s no rush,” Evan told her with a smile, Ruby looking up to him and returning him with a rather weak smile. For the last 5 weeks, they’d been hanging out with each other a lot, but nothing ever went passed kissing. “And we’re having fun right?”

“Uh-huh,” Ruby nodded. “I uh...” She pulled at her bracelet nervously. “Sorry, I....Dex is the only person I’ve ever....” Ruby pursed her lips. “It was special between us and....”

“You’re not ready to try and make that connection with someone else?” Evan questioned.

Ruby gave a little shrug. “I think I am ready, I just.....” Ruby took a deep breath. “It’s like this is the last thing I have that was just for me and Dex,” Ruby told him. “It’s like when I do....when we do sleep together the book on me and Dex officially closes.” Ruby looked away from Evan, not wanting to see his reaction.

“It will be hard to fully let go,” Evan put his hand on her cheek, pushing her face back up to him. “And I’m not about to push you into what you are not ready for,” Evan told her. “We have lots of fun hanging out and I am pretty sure you like kissing me, right?” Evan gave a cheeky grin as Ruby nodded her head. “Well if that is the extent of our relationship right now that’s fine,” Evan told her. “Although maybe....maybe we could up it a little?” Evan said and Ruby screwed her face up, not really sure what he was getting at. “Like I mean,” Evan paused for a moment. “Can I call you my girlfriend?” Evan questioned. “We’ve been dating for a while now so maybe it’s time we labelled it.”

“Uhm....” Ruby pursed her lips. Saying she had a boyfriend - a boyfriend that wasn’t Dex - made her feel a little uneasy but she knew for Evan she needed to try to take another step. “Yeah, we can...I uhm....yeah.” Ruby smiled nervously and Evan lightly rubbed her cheek before placing another soft kiss on her lips.

Charlie and Brax were out for a date night. Brax had taken Charlie to an Italian restaurant she loved in Reefton Lakes while Heath was staying home with the children, Heath not paying Brax and rent money, so had to make for his living somehow. “This is nice,” Brax smiled as he filled up Charlie’s glass with red wine. “I can’t remember the last time we had a date night.”

Charlie sucked in her bottom lip as she looked deep in thought. “It was last year,” Charlie exhaled. “End of November,” Charlie said taking a drink of her wine. “We went to that French restaurant in Yabbie Creek. You got mad at the waiter because he spilt the bowl of mussel shells on my new dress.” Charlie told him, before taking another drink of her wine.

“Oh yeah,” Brax remembered the night now she had mentioned it. “I must be the world’s worst boyfriend,” Brax gave a sort of laugh. “How can you remember that so clearly?”

“It was only a couple days before I lost the twins.” Charlie answered.

“Oh.” Brax widened his eyes.

“Yeah,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “Well we might not be getting our twins but we are only one phone call away from getting to bring Kobe home.” Charlie said, Brax smiled, seeing her face light up at the mention of the boy, Brax falling even more in love with Charlie when he watched how she was with him.

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled. “He’s a sweet boy,” Brax gave a little smile. “I think I’ll have my work cut out for me though.” Brax said, knowing Kobe was very wary of him, the boy having not said a word to him all the times he’d been at the house to play with the kids.

“He’ll need time to adjust.” Charlie said.

“I know,” Brax gave a little nod, before taking a drink of his wine. “I’ll try with him but I won’t be too much. I’ll let him come to me.” Brax put the glass of wine back on the table as Charlie agreed with what Brax had said about letting Kobe come round in his own time.

“Ohh this look lovely.” Charlie smiled up at the waiter who had appeared at the table with their main courses. She picked up her fork to dig in right away, Brax continuing to smile at the woman he would soon marry, knowing she was going to be an amazing mother to Kobe and only hoped that DOCS called soon with the news they wanted.

Archived