Forever and Always

Thank you Romeo&Indi Forever and Sarah for the comments. :)

eleven

A few days after the snorkelling trip, Ruby had booked to go on the temples tour trip on her own. She was on the bus, the tour picking up at the last hotel before they went on their way to the first temple. The young man walked onto the bus and down the aisle, looking to see where he could sit. “Mind if I sit here?” The man pointed to the seat next to Ruby, Ruby looking around the small bus before back to the man.

“It’s the only seat left.” Ruby answered before looking back out of the window. The man sat down next to her, before holding his hand out.

“Evan.” Evan said. Ruby pursed her lips as she looked back around to him.

“Ruby.” Ruby avoided shaking his hand, she looked back out of the window, the bus leaving the hotel grounds and making its way to the temple.

“So, what brings you to Bali?” Evan questioned.

Ruby bit her lip, before turning to face him. He was giving her a soft smile, his chin length blond hair tucked back behind his ears, he had piercing green eyes and Ruby found herself smiling back, finding his smile very cute. “Family holiday,” Ruby told him. “Mum, her fiancé and my little brother and sister are back at the hotel.”

“Not fancy the temples tour?” Evan questioned.

“My mum did,” Ruby told him. “But I just wanted some time to myself.”

“I hear ya,” Evan said. “Had to get away from home so here I am.”

“You actually came here all alone?” Ruby questioned and Evan nodded. “Isn’t that a bit to lonely?” Ruby wondered and Evan gave a little shrug.

“I guess at times,” Evan answered. “But I needed to leave, I needed.....I just needed this,” Evan bowed his head and Ruby sensed he was also running from something back home. “So where’s home?” Evan questioned.

“Australia.” Ruby answered.

“I figured that much,” Evan gave a little laugh. “I mean where in Australia?”

“Near Sydney,” Ruby answered. “Yourself?”

“Adelaide,” Evan answered. “Heading to Sydney area when I’m home though. People to find.”

“I see,” Ruby gave a curt nod. “Well I hope you find who you are looking for.”

Evan gave her a weak smile. “I hope so too, in a way,” Evan exhaled. “We’ll just see how it goes,” Evan mumbled. “So how long you in Bali for?” Evan questioned, clearly wanting to keep conversation going. Ruby exhaled a little, not really wanting to talk, but at the same time, she found herself feeling relaxed as she spoke with him.

“Two weeks,” Ruby told him. “Have just over a week to go,” Ruby said. “And you?”

“I’ve been here 3 weeks so far,” Evan told her. “Booked to go home next week but don’t really want to leave this paradise and face the real world again.”

Ruby stifled a laugh. “Would love to never face the real world again.”

“Look likes we both want to be in Bali then,” Evan laughed as the bus pulled up. “What do you say to seeing these sights together?” Evan questioned and Ruby gave a little nod, a smile etching on her face as he smiled at her, little dimples appearing in his cheeks.

Charlie and Georgia were hanging out at the beach, Georgia burying her mother’s feet. “You no seem them,” Georgia giggled as she kept throwing sand over her mother’s feet. “They’s gone.”

“Ah no I need my feet,” Charlie gasped. “How will I walk?”

Georgia giggled as she gave a little shrug. “You be here forevers.” Georgia grinned cheekily.

“What’s trouble laughing at?” Brax questioned, coming back with the ice-creams for everyone. Daniel handed Georgia the cone with strawberry ice-cream on, Georgia rubbing her sandy hands against her peppa-pig costume before taking it into her hands, her eyes widening in delight at her treat.

“She’s buried my feet and now I am stuck here forever.” Charlie said, taking her cone with orange sorbet on.

“Ah what a thing to do to your mummy.” Brax shook his head in mock disgust at his daughter but Georgia just giggled before going back to eating her ice-cream.

“Mum can you come in the ocean later?” Daniel questioned, licking his ice-cream as it was quickly melting down the cone.

“Sure,” Charlie gave a little nod as she looked to her son. “So you excited for your trip tomorrow?” Charlie questioned, the family going on the volcano trip the very next day.

“Oh yeah,” Daniel grinned. “It’s going to be super fun,” Daniel said, licking up his ice-cream. “Do you think it’ll shoot some lava?”

“No,” Georgia squealed. “Lava will hurt us,” Georgia looked dead serious as she stared between Charlie, Brax and Daniel. “Daddy keep me safe.” Georgia crawled over to Brax and climbed up onto his knee, her ice-cream dripping down onto his leg. Brax wiped it off before taking Georgia’s ice-cream in his hand, licking up so it stopped dripping. Georgia gave him a scowl, like she couldn’t believe he was eating her ice-cream.

“Of course I’ll keep you safe,” Brax wrapped his arm around his daughter as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her temple. “But knowing you you’ll be running around like its nothing,” Brax said and Georgia gave a cheeky sounding giggle. “Huh you little monkey.”

“No,” Georgia giggled again. “I’s a girl.”

“You are sometimes a monkey.” Charlie laughed as she ruffled Georgia’s hair.

“No,” Georgia moaned. “Daniel, you say I’s not.”

“Uh....you are sometimes, really.” Daniel said and Georgia frowned, making a fist with her wrist and waving it in Daniel’s direction. Brax laughed as he ran his hand though Georgia hair, loving spending some quality time with his family.

April walked into the bedroom, lifting her singlet from her body and throwing it into the laundry basket. “Oh what a day.” April yawned as she took her bra off.

James looked up to her from sitting in the bed, looking at the laptop. He raised his eyebrows, seeing she was half naked. “Well I could help you relax.” James grinned suggestively as he shut the laptop and put it on the bedside table before shuffling over in the bed, closer to April.

“Ugh no,” April screwed her face up, her hand brushing over her stomach as she took an old t-shirt of James’ from under her pillow, pulling over her head. “I feel all bloated,” April yawned as she took her skirt off, throwing it down on the chair in the corner of the room. “And Finn’s been crazy energy boy all day and he didn’t have a nap,” April yawned, Finn having been swimming with his parents, at soft play, the park and running around with his parents in the garden all day. “How are you not tired?” April yawned again as she pulled the bed cover back and got into bed.

“I am a little,” James said, wrapping his arm around her as she cuddled into him. He softly kissed her head and his other hand rubbed over her stomach. April and James had an appointment at the hospital the next day to confirm and see how far along April actually was. “So, anyways, I was thinking that after the appointment tomorrow we can pick up little dude from my Grams place and then have lunch at the diner where I will tell you two your surprise.” Finn wasn’t joining them for the hospital appointment so he was going to be spending the morning with Olive.

“Or you could just tell me now.” April suggested.

“Nah nah,” James laughed. “You’ll find out tomorrow along with little dude.” James told her.

“Okay,” April yawned. “I need to sleep right now anyways,” April said before leaning up and placing a soft kiss on his lips. “Goodnight.”

“Night hun.” James whispered as he leaned to his bedside table and switched off the side light before lying down to sleep, his arms wrapping lovingly around April.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Romeo&Indi Forever, Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :)

twelve

Ruby was showing Charlie the pictures from her temples trip the day before. “Some gorgeous buildings.” Charlie said, flicking through the photos.

“I know right,” Ruby agreed. “I could look at them all day and never get bored.”

Charlie smiled at her daughter before she continued looking through the camera album. “Oh who’s this?” Charlie stopped at a picture of Ruby and Evan outside one of the temples.

“Evan.” Ruby answered, trying to move the camera on.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie pushed Ruby’s hand away, still looking at the picture of her daughter and the young man, his arm wrapped around her waist. “And who is Evan?”

“Some guy,” Ruby shrugged. “He was on the trip alone as well and we kept each other company, that’s all.”

“I see,” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “And does he have a second name?”

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “We spoke on a trip. We are only here in Bali for like another week. It’s not like we’re getting together.”

“I’m just curious,” Charlie shrugged. “Nice to see you’ve been talking with other people. With other male people,” Charlie once again raised her eyebrows as she nudged Ruby’s arm. “Nothing like a nice little holiday romance to make yourself feel better.”

Ruby widened her eyes in surprise. “I’m not having any sort of romance with him,” Ruby said. “We are both going to be back in different parts of Australia next week,” Ruby exhaled. “He was a really nice guy and we chatted and had fun but that’s all.” Ruby said, reaching into her bag for her mobile as it beeped. She saw it was a notification from Facebook, that Evan Butler wanted to be friends. She stared down at the message as she felt a smile etching on her face.

Charlie and Brax were in their bedroom, the kids already fast asleep. Charlie grabbed two beers from the fridge before walking across to the couch, handing one down to Brax before taking a seat next to him as she unscrewed the lid on her beer, throwing the cap to the table. “You know I was kinda dreading this holiday a little.” Charlie said, her lips pursing as she looked to Brax.

“Really?” Brax questioned. “Why?”

“I....” Charlie gave a little shrug. “Back home it was easier to avoid the subject of the miscarriage,” Charlie exhaled. “We both had work, the kids had things to go to, I could occupy myself with Ruby and her grief,” Charlie trailed off. “Here it’s us together like all the time and I.....” Charlie paused.

“I guess things can get more on top of us at home,” Brax exhaled, taking her hand into his and rubbing it gently. “But it’s a good thing we have talked, you know that, right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “I know we needed too,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Still doesn’t mean it’s easy to open up. Even if it is to you.”

“Is there something more you want to say?” Brax wondered where this was coming from.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “I just feel a bit weird sometimes. You know I should have these two babies growing inside me right now. I find myself wondering if they would have been boys or girls or one of each,” Charlie put her hand on her stomach. “I think that they should be moving by now and I feel my stomach and remember...” Charlie bowed her head down. “It’s just...difficult and if we didn’t have Georgia I...” Charlie shrugged.

“I know she’s made this easier,” Brax said. “But this doesn’t have to mean no more babies for us. Like you said, we can have a honeymoon baby.” Brax once again took her hand in his and rubbed it gently.

“Yeah,” Charlie said but Brax picked up on the reluctance in her voice. “Possibly,” Charlie exhaled before taking a drink of her beer. “Anyways, let’s see if there’s movie we can watch.” Charlie said, picking up the TV remote from the coffee table and flicking through the channels to find something to watch.

April was sitting on the bed in the hospital as James standing staring at the machine in front of him. “What’s this for?” James questioned, picking up the long stick like object, running his hand over it.

“That goes in my vagina.” April told him, James immediately dropping it back on the tray.

“Eugh and I just touched that,” James shivered. “And it goes in you.” James looked disgusted.

“You put a part of you in me quiet frequently and don’t seem to complain.” April said.

“April.” James gasped at what she said.

“Well it’s true,” April replied. “It’s how we got to be here in the first place and who’s here to hear?” April said, James giving a little shrug before looking back to the tray.

“But that really goes in you?” James said and April nodded. “I thought they used that thing than rolls over your belly.”

“It’s too soon for one of them. It wouldn’t pick anything up,” April told him. “And I don’t know why you are getting all freaked out. I’m the one it’s going in.”

“Yeah but I touched it.” James muttered.

“It’s clean,” April told him before the door opened at the ultrasound technician walked into the room. “Come here.” April mumbled as she pulled him up to be standing where her head was at.

“Sorry about the wait,” The lady put gloves onto her hand before picking up the bottle of gel, putting a little on the end of the doppler. “This might sting a little,” The lady said as she sat on the chair and moved it forwards so she was between April’s legs. April winced as she inserted the Doppler, James screwing his face up as he took April’s hand in his. The lady looked to the screen before looking back to April. “Congratulations, you are 5 week along.”

“Can we see the baby?” James questioned. The lady turned the screen for James and April to see.

“That’s amazing.” James stared intently at the screen. April looked up to him, before she bit her lip to stop a laugh escaping her.

“You don’t know where the baby is, do you?” April questioned.

“Of course I can see my baby,” James sounded offended. “She’s right....uhm...” James rubbed the back of his head.

“Most first time parents struggle at first,” The lady assured him. “This here is your baby.” The lady pointed to the tiny grey speck that was in a blackened circle.

“Thanks,” James sounded embarrassed. “And this is our second baby,” James told her. “We have a three year old son.”

“Aw how sweet,” The lady smiled. “We hoping for a daughter this time?” The lady took the doppler from April and April sat up a little more.

“Would be nice,” James grinned, loving the idea of having a daughter. “But as long as it’s healthy, huh hun?”

“Yeah,” April gave a little nod. “Whatever.”

James glanced at her, his head cocking to the side before looking back to the ultrasound technician. “Can I get a picture of little peanut?” James wondered and the lady nodded as she clicked some buttons on the computer. “I’ll let you get changed and go get those print outs.” The lady smiled at April before she left the room, April getting down off the bed to get changed back into her clothes.

Thanks for the comments.

thirteen

Finn, April and James were at the diner, grabbing some lunch. “Hun?” James questioned, pulling the scan picture from his pocket.

“Put that away.” April snatched it from him and put it into her bag.

“What’s up with you?” James questioned.

“Nothing,” April mumbled. “We’re just not telling people,” April gestured to her son who seemed oblivious to the discussion as he played with a little toy car, making vrooming noises as he moved the car over the tabletop. “It’s so early and other eyes might see.” April gestured to the counter where Irene, Leah and Colleen were all busy doing something.

“Okay,” James sighed lightly. “But answer me this,” James spoke quietly. “When we were talking with the nurse lady about what we wanted and you said whatever -”

“I meant I didn’t mind either way,” April exhaled. “Not as in I don’t care.”

“Are you sure?” James questioned.

“Yes,” April sighed. “Now let’s change the subject hmm,” April raised her eyebrows. “Bud listen to daddy. He’s got a surprise for us,” April ran her hand over Finn hair as she spoke. Finn stopped playing with his car and looked up to James, his eyes all wide as he waited on James to talk. James looked to April. “Well you said you’d tell us at the diner after the appointment.”

“I did,” James nodded his head, looking from April to James. “Well I thought since you two are so awesome and because I love you so much I’d do something nice for you and get you a little something.”

“Is it a puppy?” Finn questioned, his eyes lighting up at the thought.

“Nah little dude, sorry,” James said and Finn pouted sadly. “Okay,” James exhaled as he looked to April before looking back to Finn then back to April. “How would you two like to go on a little holiday to the Whitsundays?”

“The Whitsundays?” April gasped. “James are you serious?”

“Yeah,” James smiled before looking to Finn. “What do you think little dude?” James questioned. “You want to come on a holiday with mummy and me to the Whitsundays?”

“Yeah,” Finn grinned. “Like Georgia is on holidays.”

“That’s right,” James smiled. “Well just like Georgia you are getting a holiday too.”

“Wow,” Finn screeched as he jumped down from the chair. “I gonna tell Nana Reen.” Finn said as he ran across the diner to the counter.

April watched her son for a moment before looking back to James. “Babe,” April said. “Really, Whitsundays? Can we afford this?”

“Yeah,” James told her. “I’ve been saving some money for a while,” James said. “It’s all sorted. We are staying a week, we have a snorkelling trip already booked, it’ll be good yeah?”

“Yeah,” April smiled. “Thanks baby you are awesome.” April leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on James’ lips, James smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“Oi this is a family place,” Irene pulled them apart as Finn giggled up at his parents. “So, Finn here tells me you are going to the white fun days for a holiday.” Irene raised her eyebrows as she gave a little laugh at the boy’s mispronunciation.

“That’s right,” April smiled. “Jay just surprised us.”

“I take my bucket and spade?” Finn wondered. “There beach there?”

“Might be one or two,” James laughed as he ruffled Finn’s hair. “So yes, your bucket and spade is a definite must have.” James said and Finn jumped up in excitement of going on his first holiday.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were having some lunch in town after their morning trek up the volcano. Georgia had fallen asleep after the trip, the toddler walking all the way through the rainforest and up the volcano, making it half way down before needing to go on Brax’s shoulders. She was now in her buggy, having a nap. Georgia, who spent most of the first year of her life awake was sure making up for it now, for in her second year of life, Georgia loved her bed and nap times, always going to bed and taking naps without trouble. “So, what did you think of the trip then buddy?” Brax questioned, glancing at his son.

Daniel looked to him from behind the menu. “Was awesome but I kinda wish it did spit some lava. It would have been funny.”

“Dude no,” Ruby shook her head. “It spits lava; we get burned and probably die.”

“Not too much lava to kill us,” Daniel exhaled. “Just a little bit to see it.” Daniel reached for his glass and took a drink of his juice.

“Well we can arrange that,” Brax said. “I’ll take you back up and throw you down.” Brax joked and Daniel widened his eyes before shaking his head.

“Don’t be stupid dad. You know I don’t want to be thrown in the volcano. I just wanted to see some lava, that’s all.” Daniel said.

“Okay I’m very sorry,” Brax bit his lip to not laugh. “You want to head out in the surf when we get back to the hotel?” Brax questioned.

“Sure,” Daniel nodded. “Can you come too Ruby?” Daniel questioned. “We haven’t surfed together in ages.”

“Uhm, I don’t think so buddy.” Ruby answered, not making eye contact with her brother. She hadn’t been surfing since the accident that took Dexter’s life.

“Augh,” Daniel moaned. “You never come surfing anymore.”

“Yeah well,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “I just don’t want to.” Ruby exhaled before reaching for her water, taking a drink before glancing at Charlie.

“But you loved surfing,” Daniel sighed. “What happened?”

“I just don’t want to surf.” Ruby raised her voice, Daniel giving a jump in fright at her tone.

“Alright,” Charlie stepped in. “Daniel she doesn’t have to come surfing if she doesn’t want too. I’m sure you and dad will still have a lot of fun out there.”

“I guess.” Daniel bowed his head sadly.

“Ruby, hey,” Ruby looked around to see Evan walking over to the table. “How’s it going?”

“Fine,” Ruby answered, Charlie seeing a little smile etching on her face. “How about you?”

“Yeah, yeah, it’s all good,” Evan ran his hand through his blond hair. “Just grabbing a bite to eat,” Evan said as he looked around the table. “So, I guess this is your family.”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “Charlie my mum, stepdad Brax, little bro Daniel and this little Georgia in there.”

“Hey, nice to meet you. I’m Evan.” Evan waved his hand out.

“Would you like to join us for lunch?” Charlie questioned as she pointed to the spare seat next to Ruby.

“Uhm,” Evan rubbed the back of his head. “Sure yeah. That would be nice, thanks.” Evan gave a little smile before taking a seat, going to eat lunch with Ruby and her family.

Bianca and Kaya walked into the restaurant, going to get some dinner. “Can we share a large pizza?” Kaya wondered as she climbed up into the booth at the end of the room. “With lots and lots of cheese on it.”

“Just cheese?” Bianca questioned as she sat down opposite her daughter.

“Uhm,” Kaya sucked in her bottom lip. “And pepperoni and some cheesy garlic bread.”

“Pepperoni and cheesy garlic bread it is.” Bianca said and Kaya grinned.

“Hey,” Bianca looked up as she heard a male voice. She smiled as she saw Heath standing over the table. “How are you?” Heath questioned.

“I’m good,” Bianca answered. “Yourself?”

“Yeah good. Feeling a bit bored though eh. Only so much surfing you want to do in a day,” Heath gave a little laugh. “Just popping in for some dinner.”

“Will you sit alone?” Kaya questioned.

Heath looked down to the girl who was staring up at him, her mouth open, showing her front two teeth were missing. “I was going to order take-out.” Heath answered.

“You can sit with us,” Kaya told him. “Can’t he, mummy?”

“Uhm,” Bianca pursed her lips as she looked to Kaya before looking up at Heath then back to her daughter. “I’m sure Heath doesn’t want to sit with us.”

“Why would I?” Heath questioned. “I’d love the company if you wanted me to join you.” Heath said and Bianca bit her lip as she once again looked to Kaya.

“Please mummy,” Kaya clasped her hands like she was praying. “He looks like a nice man.”

Heath stifled a laugh as Bianca looked up to him and into his eyes. She felt drawn to his soft eyes. “You can join us.” Bianca told him and Heath smiled at her as he sat down next to Kaya, but keeping eye contact with Bianca. Their smiles grew larger as they both felt funny feelings in their stomachs as they continued to stare at each other.

Thanks for the comments.

fourteen

Bianca, Heath and Kaya were walking back to the house after dinner. “Heath,” Kaya pulled on his arm and he looked down to her. “Do you like playing dress up?”

“Uhm,” Heath glanced at Bianca who gave a little laugh. Kaya had been grilling Heath all night and it looked like the questions were only going to keep on coming. “Nah not really.”

“Oh,” Kaya looked a little saddened. “I love dress up. I like being Snow White best but I have heaps of dress up clothes,” Kaya told him. “Do you like dancing then?” Kaya wondered. “I go to dance class.”

“That’s cool,” Heath said. “What kind of dancing do you do?”

“Ballet,” Kaya answered before she did a pirouette. “I’m the best in the whole class, ay mummy?”
Kaya said, sounding very sure of herself.

“Uhm, you’re very good darling.” Bianca answered, walking up the path to her home. She opened the door and told Kaya to go inside.

“Bye Heath,” Kaya grinned up at him. “You can come in if you want and mummy will get you a drink.” Kaya said and Bianca went a little red as she pushed on Kaya, ushering her into the house.

“Sorry about her.” Bianca tucked her hair behind her ear as she looked up to Heath.

“Don’t be,” Heath laughed. “She’s a great kid.”

“Thanks,” Bianca smiled appreciatively. “And thanks for dinner. You didn’t need to buy ours.”

“I wanted too,” Heath answered. “I had a really good night.”

“Me too.” Bianca sucked in her bottom lip as she and Heath made eye contact. She felt her heart flutter as Heath leaned in and softly kissed her lips. Just as Bianca was about to let the kiss deepen, Heath pulled back, clearing his throat.

“Sorry, I uhm...I should probably have found out if there was a Mr Bianca first.” Heath cleared his throat again, really hoping she was indeed single. He’d never seen her around town with another man but of course wanted to make sure.

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “No Mr Bianca. Just me and Kaya.” Bianca said and she felt herself smiling as she saw a smile forming on Heath’s face.

“Well that’s good for me,” Heath said. “Maybe you’d like to go out with me sometime?” Heath asked. “We could go for drinks or out for a meal.”

Bianca gave a little nod as the smile on her face grew larger. “I’d like that.” Bianca answered.

“Great,” Heath smiled, glad that she hadn’t turned him down. “Can you do tomorrow night?”

“Uhm,” Bianca pursed her lips. “I’ll need to see if I can find a sitter for Kaya,” Bianca gestured into the house. “But if you give me your number then I can let you know.” Bianca said as she handed her phone out to Heath. He took it in his hands and punched his number into her phone, really hoping she would be able to find a sitter as he really wanted to go out with her without Kaya being there.

James put Finn’s suitcase in the boot of the car before closing the boot, walking over to where April and Finn were, Olive having walked down to the apartment to say goodbye and wish them a good holiday. “You could just come Gamma,” Finn said. “Ay mummy?”

“Maybe another time we can take a holiday with Gamma huh?” April questioned and Finn nodded as he jumped around, Finn dressed as a pirate. “Right cuddles then into the car,” April said and Finn jumped up into Olive’s arms.

“Have a great time,” Olive hugged him tight. “And you find lots of fish when you are snorkelling yeah?”

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded as Olive put him back down and ruffled his hair. James opened the car door and Finn climbed in, sitting in his car seat and doing up the buckle himself. “Bye Gamma.” Finn waved his little hand.

“Bye bug,” Olive waved to him before taking an envelope from her pocket. “This is for you to have a great time,” Olive handed April the envelope and she looked down to it before glancing to James. He gave her an ‘well open it’ look and April opened the envelope pulling out the notes of money. “Five hundred dollars,” April gasped. “Really Olive we -”

“You’ll take it,” Olive said, leaning in and giving April a hug. “Take Finn on another trip, have a nice meal somewhere, buy some souvenirs...” Olive trailed off.

“Thank you Grams,” James said giving her a hug. “Well we best get to the airport.” James said as he and April got into the car.

“Take lots of pictures.” Olive instructed.

“We will,” April rolled down the window and waved from it. “Thanks again. Bye,” The family waved as they drove out of the apartment complex and took the road leading to Sydney Airport. “I can believe she gave us 500 dollars.” April widened her eyes as she put the envelope into her bag for safe keeping. “It’s too much.”

“We’ll buy her something nice,” James said as he turned left at the junction. “Ay little dude you’ll pick something nice for your Gamma?”

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded. “Maybe a car or uhm.....Spiderman or oh a pirate ship.” Finn widened his eyes.

April gave a little laugh as turned her head to face her son. “I think that’s things you would like.” April said and Finn giggled as he gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Finn answered. “I no got Spidermans.” Finn shook his head as he held his hands out to the side.

“You’ve got like a hundred Spiderman toys.” April was exaggerating of course but her son sure did have a lot of Spiderman toys.

“No,” Finn shook his head. “I don’t have that one.” Finn continued to shake his head as April just gave a little nod, of course not sure what specific Spiderman toy Finn was sad about not having.

“Oh right,” April said before turning back around to face the front. She glanced at James for a moment before her hand went onto her chest, April suddenly feeling the urge to vomit. “Jay stop the car,” April said. “Stop the car now.”

“What’s wrong?” James looked concerned.

“I need you to pull over.” April’s voice was rushed and James did as requested pulling over into the side of the road. April got out the car as quickly as she could and she barely made it to the banking before she threw up.

“Aww hunny,” James got out of the car and ran over to her, rubbing her back. “Something not agree with you this morning?”

April straightened herself up and glared at James. “How about the baby growing in my stomach.” April wiped her hand over her mouth.

“Sorry of course.” James rubbed her back a little longer.

“Can you get me some water?” April questioned, turning back to face the banking as she felt like she was about to throw up again. James walked back over to the car and opened the back door, opening the bag that was under Finn’s feet.

“What’s wrong with mummy?” Finn sounded concerned for his mother, his big brown eyes showing this.

“She’s just a little sick,” James told her. “She’ll be fine once she drinks some water.” James ruffled Finn’s hair as he spoke.

“Oh,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “We still going to white fun days?”

“Of course we are.” James smiled before closing the door and walking back over to April, handing her the bottle of water.

Charlie and Ruby had gone to a spa for the day. They’d already had full body massages and were relaxing in one of the hot tubs with glasses of champagne before they were going to get mani-pedi’s later on that morning. “So Evan seems nice.” Charlie said, reaching for her glass of champagne.

“Yeah,” Ruby scrunched her face up. “He’s a nice guy but like I say nothing is ever going to happen between us,” Ruby said. “Why do I get this feeling you want something to happen with me and Evan? Would you really be pleased if I just went and slept with a guy I hardly know and that next week I won’t even see again?”

“I just want to see that you are open to having another relationship.” Charlie spoke tentatively.

“I uhm,” Ruby shook her head. “I know that Dex would want me to move on, to love again, to be happy but it’s too soon,” Ruby pursed her lips. “I....I want to find someone to share my life with and give me kids but for so long I thought Dex was going to be that one, and I....” Ruby bowed her head down.

“Hey it’s alright sweetie,” Charlie moved closer to Ruby and rubbed her arm. “And I’m not trying to push you back into dating. Like I said, I just want to know your coping okay with your grief and that you still have dating in your future.”

“I do,” Ruby nodded. “But just not right now.”

“That’s fine,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed her arm again. “Ah this is so nice relaxing here with you.” Charlie said and Ruby nodded in agreement, the mother and daughter duo very much enjoying their time at the spa.

Thanks. :)

fifteen

Charlie walked over to the sun loungers where Brax and Daniel were sitting playing a game of cards. “Hey mum how was the spa?” Daniel looked up to her with a smile.

“Lovely,” Charlie sat down on the sun lounger next to her son. “I feel all refreshed and relaxed,” Daniel told son. “How was your day?”

“Good,” Daniel answered. “We’ve just been in the pool all day,” Daniel answered. “Georgia liked jumping in off those rocks.” Daniel pointed to the centre area of the pool, where there was a little island with palm trees and rocks.

“Ah really, you been having fun with daddy and Daniel?” Charlie questioned, running her hand over Georgia’s hair, Georgia sitting in between the two sun loungers, playing with Owlie. Georgia glared up at Charlie before she stood up and climbed up onto the sun lounger next to Brax and whispered something in his ear.

Brax gave a little laugh before looking to Charlie. “She’s not speaking.”

“Aww babycakes,” Charlie pouted sadly. “Why you not talking to mummy?”

“No.” Georgia shook her head as she folded her arms across her chest.

“She’s mad because you didn’t take her to the spa,” Daniel said. “She’s said it all day.” Daniel sighed.

“Aww I’m sorry sweetie,” Charlie spoke softly. “But this was a big girls’ day.”

“I is big,” Georgia sounded very angry at her mother. “I be the spa too.” Georgia sounded like she was going to cry.

Charlie felt awful that her little girl was so mad at her. “I’m sorry, how about mummy gives you a massage now?” Charlie questioned. “Hmm, our very own little spa here.”

Georgia furrowed her eyebrows at her mother as she scratched the side of her head like she was considering this. “You have lotions?”

“Uhm,” Charlie exhaled. The only thing she had in her bag right now was suntan lotion and she knew Georgia wouldn’t go for using that. “There’s some lotions in the room.”

“Kay,” Georgia jumped down from the sun lounger. “Let’s go.”

“We’ll see you up there soon eh,” Brax said, looking up to Charlie as Georgia took her hand. “Just gotta beat this one again then we’ll come up.”

“You’ve not won a game yet,” Daniel told him. “This is game 5 and I’ve won them all so far.”

“You keep winning,” Charlie said, ruffling Daniel’s hair. “See you soon then.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod before Charlie and Georgia left the pool area, Georgia skipping in excitement as she went off for her massage.

April, James and Finn walked into the hotel room, Finn gasping as he saw the double bed. He ran over to it and climbed up and started jumping around. “Is it my bed?” Finn questioned, jumping happily on the bed.

“Nah,” James lifted the case up on the case rack before doing the same with Finn’s little case. “That’s mine and mummy’s bed. You have that bed there.” James pointed to the single rollaway bed that had been added into the room.

“No,” Finn moaned. “This mines,” Finn continued jumping on the bed. “You n mummy ‘ave that.”

“Me and daddy in one little single bed?” April said, pulling her son into her arms. “That’s not fair,” April said, ticking his sides as he giggled in delight. “How about we give that bed to daddy and me and you sleep in here?” April questioned and Finn nodded his head as he giggled.

“Don’t encourage him,” James lightly hit April’s bum. “So how about we go explore the town and get some dinner?” James questioned, wrapping his arms around April from behind and resting them on her stomach. He placed a soft kiss in the crook of April’s neck as they watched Finn, who’d gone back to jumping on the bed.

“Ugh,” April screwed her face up as she turned around to face him. “I feel a bit....meh,” April shrugged. “Can we just do room service and hang in here tonight?”

“Sure,” James said, knowing they’d only just arrived at that they had plenty time to explore the town. “What do you think little dude?” James questioned, Finn jumping over the bed so he was standing before James.

“Bout what?” Finn questioned.

“We order room service and watch a movie in our jammies.” James said.

“Can we eat dinner in our jammies?” Finn asked and April gave a little laugh as she nodded.

“Sure we can.” April ruffled his hair.

“Yes.” Finn leapt off the bed, overjoyed at the plans. He ran over to his suitcase, trying to find the zip to open it up to already get changed into his pyjamas.

April laughed at her son before she looked up to James, James grinning down at her before placing a soft kiss on her lips. “You wanna check what films are on and I’ll go find the room service menu.” James said, walking over to the desk a welcome pack and hotel information was.

“Probably should help Finn first,” April said, seeing her son struggling with the zip. “Seems like he wants to find those Spiderman jammies in a hurry.” April walked over to Finn and helped him get the case open as James started reading what was available for room service.

Ruby had offered to look after the kids, allowing Charlie and Brax to go out for a nice meal by themselves. She was walking down the town, Daniel skating beside her as she pushed the buggy, Georgia muttering something about Owlie as she held her up in the air. “Ruby don’t you know him?” Daniel pointed to Evan as he was looking at the menu of one of the restaurants.

“Uhm yeah,” Ruby spoke quietly as she gave a smile, Evan having spotted them. “Hey.” Ruby said as they stopped next to Evan.

“Hey,” Evan repeated before smiling down at Georgia. “What you saying?” Evan questioned.

“Mummy me a massage.” Georgia grinned.

“Ah wow,” Evan leaned down and ruffled Georgia’s hair before Georgia turned her head to the side and brought Owlie up to hide herself. “Babysitting duty tonight?” Evan said as he looked back to Ruby.

“Yeah,” Daniel answered for her. “Mum and dad are getting a night off,” Daniel said. “They’re having a romantic meal for two.” Daniel told him, Evan giving a little nod in his direction.

“Lucky them huh?” Evan said, Daniel nodding as Evan looked back to Ruby. “Don’t suppose you’d like some babysitting help?” Evan questioned. “Could maybe have dinner together.”

“Uhm.” Ruby pursed her lips before looking to Daniel who was vigorously nodding his head.

“Yeah Ruby say he can, he’s cool,” Daniel said. Evan stifled a laugh as he looked to Ruby who gave a little nod, letting him join them. “Yey,” Daniel jumped in the air. “Do you like to skateboard?” Daniel wondered. “I love it.”

“I used to when I was younger,” Evan told him. “But I haven’t since I was about 16.” Evan said and Daniel sort of frowned.

“How old are you now?” Daniel asked.

“I’m 20.” Evan told him.

“Oh that’s the same age as Ruby,” Daniel said, pointing up at his sister. “Do you live in Summer Bay too?” Daniel questioned and Ruby noticed his eyes widening at the mention of Summer Bay. “I’ve never seen you before.”

“Uhm, nah,” Evan cleared his throat. “I’m from Adelaide.”

“Oh,” Daniel said. “Are you here all alone?” Daniel questioned.

“I am,” Evan nodded. “Uhm....my dad died a few months ago so I needed to get away from home.”

“Oh gosh I am so sorry.” Ruby said, remembering Evan had said he needed to get away from home for a while.

Evan opened his mouth to reply but Daniel spoke over him. “That’s really sad,” Daniel exhaled. “Ruby’s Dexter died too,” Daniel told him. “Her boyfriend I mean.”

“Daniel,” Ruby glared at her brother. “You don’t get to tell people that.”

“Sorry.” Daniel bowed his head.

Ruby could feel Evan’s eyes on her and although right now they were both going through a loss, she didn’t want to hear any sympathy from him. “Let’s just find a place to eat.” Ruby said, before she started walking down the street, Daniel and Evan walking down after her.

sixteen

Finn had fallen asleep about 5 minutes after the movie ended. They’d watched Despicable Me as they ate their room service dinner, Finn then cuddling into April to watch the rest of the movie. April was lightly stroking the side of her sons head, looking down to him, smiling lightly. “What you thinking?” James questioned as he leaned closer in to April.

“What a handsome little boy he is,” April replied. “I know I am bias as he is my son, but he is, right?” April said, looking up to James who was nodding his head.

“Don’t expect anything else when he looks like his mother,” James said. “Let’s hope this one takes after you as well,” James laughed. “Poor kid if she has to look like me.”

“She’d be very lucky to take after her dad,” April told him. “You are ever so handsome too,” April gave a cheeky grin before James placed a soft kiss on her lips. He looked down and put his hand over hers, his hand brushing over her engagement ring. “Probably have to hold off on the wedding planning for now, huh?” April questioned. “There’s no way we can pay for both a wedding and a new baby in the same year.”

“Well,” James gave a little shrug. “Depends how big a wedding you want I guess,” James said and April sucked in her bottom lip, giving a little shrug. “But when we do get married will you change Finn’s name for mines?” James wondered.

“I think having two James’ might be a bit confusing.” April joked.

“Funny,” James cocked his head. “Will you both become Kings?”

“Uhm,” April shrugged. “Well yeah I want to change my name to yours but I don’t know about Finn’s,” April answered, seeing James looked immediately saddened. “C’mon, no matter how many times you say it Finn King just doesn’t sound the best name to give a kid.” April chuckled.

“What about King-Scott or Scott-King,” James suggested. “Don’t you want your kids to have the same surname and the same one as you, come to think of it?”

“Yeah,” April answered. “Maybe we can just all be Scott’s in that case,” April gave a little grin. “What do you think? James Andrew Scott. Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?”

James gave a little nod. “But you are supposed to take my name.”

“Oh Jay it’s the 21st century,” April exhaled. “Don’t be so set in your ways.” April slapped his chest.

“I guess,” James exhaled. “Anyways, we have plenty time to talk about stuff like that,” James said. “Let’s just concentrate on having an amazing first family holiday together.”

“Sounds good to me.” April said as she kissed James’ lips again.

“Mmm,” James pulled back. “I’ll put this one to bed then we can see what else is on the box.” James said as he stood up from the couch and lifted Finn into his arms, walking across the rollaway and gently laying Finn down, Finn not ever stirring at having been moved.

Georgia was already sleeping in the buggy as they made their way back to the hotel. They stopped at the entrance, Ruby keeping a hold of the buggy as she looked up to Evan. “Ruby can I go skate there for a bit?” Daniel said, pointing to the small ramp at the side of the hotel.

Ruby nodded. “Just don’t get in the way of people.” Ruby told as he was already running off to skate.

“I had a fun night tonight,” Evan smiled as he watched Daniel running off. “Seems like Daniel has too.”

“He’s not usually talkative around strangers.” Ruby told him.

“Ah well he seems to like me,” Evan gave a little smile and Ruby smiled weakly back at him. “So, uhm...I’m sorry about your boyfriend,” Evan spoke tentatively. “Were you together long?”

Ruby pursed her lips. “Four years.” Ruby cleared her throat.

“Wow that’s a long time. I’m sorry,” Evan said. “And if you wanted too -”

“No. No I don’t,” Ruby answered. “You’re practically a stranger.”

“Sometimes talking to a stranger helps,” Evan said. “I poured my heart out to some dear old lady on the plane across,” Evan told her, as he rubbed one hand over the other. “And I feel so much better for it.”

“Good for you,” Ruby mumbled. “But it doesn’t mean it’s going to be right for me,” Ruby tightened her grip on the buggy. “I just....it hurts too much.” Ruby gave a little shrug and Evan stepped forward and rubbed her arm.

“I get ya,” Evan said. “But you are going to have to deal with that hurt at one point.”

Ruby sucked in her bottom lip as she stared into his soft green eyes. Evan could see tears forming and felt for her, of course knowing all too well what it was like to lose someone you loved, and more importantly, having to face talking about it. “And you of all people right now should know not to push me. You know that I need to feel ready to let go.”

“Fair enough,” Evan nodded. “Well, I uhm, I’ll head back to my hotel. Maybe see you again before we leave?” Evan questioned. They only had a few days left in Bali and Evan was actually sad about possibly not seeing Ruby again. There was just something about her that drew him to her.

“Yeah maybe see you around town.” Ruby pursed her lips as she turned to see Daniel was safe.

“Okay,” Evan exhaled. “See ya Daniel.” Evan waved over to him and Daniel waved back before Evan walked away, Ruby taking a deep breath before walking over to Daniel to go back into the hotel.

Charlie and Brax were walking hand in hand down the beach, the moonlight giving a silvery reflection off the ocean. “Can’t believe we only have a few more days before going home,” Brax sounded a little saddened. “It’s gone by way to fast.”

“I know,” Charlie agreed. “But it’s been great and the kids have had a blast,” Charlie said. “Rubes has even been smiling again.” Charlie stopped walking and positioned herself in front of Brax, Brax wrapping his arms around her.

“She’s getting through it,” Brax spoke in a whisper as they looked to the ocean. “You’ve been amazing for her.”

“Well I try,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m not sure I’ve been that great,” Charlie shrugged. “I can’t really imagine what she’s going through right now,” Charlie turned around to face Brax, Brax keeping his arms around her. “I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without you and she’s having to face life without the man she loves already,” Charlie felt herself getting emotional. “I don’t understand why things happen sometimes.”

“Me either,” Brax kissed her forehead. “Sometimes life just throws you a hard deal,” Brax said. “But she’s a strong girl and she’s getting through this.” Brax rubbed her back and Charlie gave a little nod.

“Yeah. Yeah she is,” Charlie exhaled. “Still get to think it sucks though. They were....they were perfect together.”

“I know,” Brax continued to rub her back. “But she’s young enough to find someone else perfect enough to share her life with,” Brax said. “And when she’s ready we can help her deal with moving on.”

“Yeah,” Charlie gave him a little smile. “Well anyways,” Charlie exhaled. “Maybe we should get back to the hotel and free her of her babysitting duties,” Charlie suggested. “She’ll probably be ready for bed watching those two alone all night. Or well, after watching Georgia.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Ah she said she’d probably just sleep in with little miss trouble tonight,” Brax said. “I reckon we could stay out just a little longer.” Brax gave a cheeky grin as he raised his eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little, as she wrapped her arms around his neck, the kiss only intensifying.

Thanks for the comments. :)

seventeen

James walked into the bathroom, feeling for his fiancée as she was throwing up. “Ah hun, I’m sorry.” James bent down beside her and rubbed her back.

“It’s not your fault,” April mumbled, reaching for some toilet roll to wipe over her mouth. “Well not entirely.” April muttered throwing the toilet paper into the toilet.

James exhaled quietly. “Do you want us to hang back here a little longer?” James continued to rub her back as she flushed the toilet.

“No,” April shook her head. “We promised Finn we’d teach him to swim this morning,” April said as she stood up. She walked over to the sink and turned the tap on, cupping her hands underneath and taking a drink of water. “We can’t disappoint him now.”

“It’s not like we’ll never take him swimming,” James said, walking over to April. “Just a little later.”

“No,” April exhaled. “I want to go now because we have snorkelling tomorrow and I want him to be a stronger swimmer if he’s going to be out in the sea,” April turned the tap off and dried her hands on the towel. “I’ll be fine,” April said, seeing the worry in James’ eyes. “It’s perfectly normal for a pregnant woman to experience some sickness.”

“Hmm,” James exhaled. “Were you sick with Finn?” James rested his hand on her stomach as he spoke.

“Not really,” April shook her head. “Like maybe a handful of times but it was a pretty easy pregnancy.” April told him, remembering her pregnancy with her son and only wished this one would turn out the same. She’d take a few days being sick, but anything more wasn’t really wanted.

“Well I hope Peanut doesn’t go giving you a hard time,” James said as he rubbed her stomach. “You hear that little one?” James spoke down to April’s stomach. “Don’t go making mummy too sick, okay?”

“Even if he does make me really sick the end result will be worth it all,” April gave a little smile. “Although that’s not my way of saying I’d welcome being sick,” April looked down to her stomach as she spoke. “You listen to your daddy, yeah?” April placed her hand on her stomach, just above James’.

“Mummy,” Finn came running in to the bathroom. “My swimmers on ready for swim.” Finn said as he jumped around excited to learn swimming.

“Aw you’ve put them on back to front buddy.” April gave a little laugh as she walked over to her son and pulled down his Spiderman board shorts and redressed him so they were on the right way.

“Ooopsies,” Finn giggled at himself. “We ready now?” Finn questioned, jumping around again now his board shorts were on the right way.

“We’ll put some suntan lotion on then we can go down to the pool,” April told him. “Sound good?”

“Yeah.” Finn squealed excitedly before running out of the bathroom, James and April walking out after him, them too excited for teaching their son how to swim.

Bianca and Kaya were chilling out at the beach when Kaya spotted Heath walking down the beach, a surf board under his arm. “Mummy its Heath.” Kaya pointed up to him before she stood up and ran over to him and grabbed his hand, dragging him down to Bianca.

“Hey.” Heath gave a little laugh as he spoke to Bianca, Kaya grinning up at him.

“My tooth is wobbly.” Kaya said, her finger going onto one of her bottom teeth and wobbling it.

“Well I can help with that if you want,” Heath teased. “Nice punch there and it will be right out.” Heath joked as he made a fist with his hand and nudged Kaya’s cheek.

“No,” Kaya gasped taking a step back. “It will come when it comes,” Kaya said before looking down to the water. “I’m going to get some water for the sand.” Kaya said, picking up her bucket and running down to the beach, leaving Bianca and Heath alone. Heath stuck his surf board in the sand before glancing down at Bianca.

“Seems like someone’s playing matchmaker,” Heath laughed as they both glanced down at Kaya. Bianca shook her head a little before looking back up to Heath. “Not sure mum’s that interested though,” Heath exhaled, sounding a little saddened. “Never did get back to me about that date.”

“Sorry,” Bianca replied. “Three of my usual sitters are on holiday and Irene and Leah were both working,” Bianca told him. “I did....I wanted us to...I’m open for....” Bianca stuttered. She felt really nervous all of a sudden. “I haven’t done this for a while,” Bianca exhaled. “Kaya’s dad was the last person I was in a relationship with. I’ve had a few dates over the years but....” Bianca clicked her tongue. “Sorry you don’t need to know that stuff yet.”

Heath gave a little laugh as he sat down next to Bianca. “So you’re saying you are a little frustrated?”

Bianca bit her lip as she held back a laugh. “I’ve been concentrating on being a mother,” Bianca told him. “All that other stuff just comes second once you’ve got a child.”

“I see,” Heath gave a curt nod. “So she must be what, 6 or something?” Heath guessed. He’d not been around kids that much but thought he’d take a guess.

“Seven,” Bianca told him. “Growing up way too fast for my liking.”

“Seven hey,” Heath raised his eyebrows, Bianca knowing it wasn’t really anything to do with the age of her daughter. “Well I’d still like to take you out. And if Kaya needs to come with us then that’s cool.”

Bianca gave him a smile. “Charlie’s back in a couple more days,” Bianca told him. “Maybe after you’ve caught up with Brax then we can talk about going on a date.”

“Sure yeah,” Heath smiled as he looked out to the sea. “Well I’m going for a surf,” Heath said, standing up. “Can check out my skills if you want.” Heath looked down with a cheeky grin before picking up his surf board, Bianca watching as he ran down to the water to surf.

Charlie and Brax had taken the kids snorkelling again, it having been a firm favourite of the holiday. Daniel and Georgia were already in the water with Ruby as Charlie and Brax sat out on the deck of the boat, enjoying the Bali sun. “I don’t want to go home,” Brax sighed. “Back to work and...ugh.”

“Ugh?” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “We are supposed to be going back to plan a wedding. Is the idea of marry me ugh?” Charlie wondered.

“Of course not,” Brax exhaled, wrapping his arm around her. “That is one of the good reasons to go home,” Brax said, rubbing her side. “I’m just going to miss having the pool and the beach right on our doorstep.”

Charlie scrunched her face up as she cocked her head to the side. “You feeling okay?” Charlie questioned. “We have a swimming pool in our back garden and the beach is like 5 minutes away.” Charlie laughed.

“Yeah but it’s not...” Brax trailed off. “I’m just going to miss Bali okay?”

“Okay,” Charlie laughed again. “I am going to miss it too,” Charlie exhaled. “But I do believe someone promised me a honeymoon in the Maldives,” Charlie grinned up at him. “I’m pretty sure it will be just as good if not better there,” Charlie gave a seductive grin. “No kiddies.”

“Oooh,” Brax raised his eyebrows. “But some kiddie making.” Brax grinned, putting his hand on Charlie’s stomach.

“Well we can practice at least.” Charlie answered and Brax gave a little nod, Charlie seeing disappointment in his eyes.

“You’ve changed your mind, haven’t you?” Brax questioned. “You don’t want to try again?”

Charlie pursed her lips as she looked out to the ocean, spotting the kids as they snorkelled, Ruby pushing the floatie Georgia was laying on, looking through a window to see the fish. “I don’t know,” Charlie looked back to Brax. “I’m not saying never. I just don’t want to think about it right now. Not when I should still be pregnant with the twins. Six months or so down the line after we are married then maybe I’ll be more into the idea. I would like another baby but I just....I need to get over the fear.”

“The fear?” Brax screwed his face up a little.

“Of miscarriage happening again,” Charlie spoke quietly. “I know there’s more chance things will go just fine but it’s always there anyways and now it’s happened the once....” Charlie trailed off. “Can we just not talk about making babies for a while?” Charlie questioned. “Let’s just enjoy being with the babies we do have.”

“Sure,” Brax gave a little nod. “Sounds good to me,” Brax exhaled quietly. “Speaking of the babies we do have, let’s go snorkel with them.” Brax said, standing up to his feet and pulling Charlie up to standing. He wrapped his arms around her waist as he kissed her lips softly before they walked over to the back of the boat to get their snorkel equipment on to go into the water with the kids.

eighteeen

Finn fearlessly jumped into the pool as soon as they got down there. James quickly went in after him but his help wasn’t really needed that much, Finn doing a good job of keeping himself afloat with a doggy paddle. “Finn Joseph,” April put her hand on her chest as she threw the bag and towels down on the sun loungers. “Don’t scare mummy like that.” April said as he took her dress off before walking over to the pool and slipping in.

“I’m fine.” Finn giggled as he doggy paddled over to his mother.

April wrapped her arms around him as he clung onto her, his little arms going around her neck. She placed a kiss on his cheek as he turned his head to face James. “You watch daddy then copy how he swam, yeah?” April questioned, Finn nodding his head as he stared at James intently. James swam a few lengths away from then before turning around to face them.

“Come get me little dude,” James said, holding his arms out. April took a deep breath before letting go of her son, Finn kicking his arms and legs as he made his way over to James, April clapping and cheering him on as he was already doing pretty well at this whole swimming thing. “Buddy yeah,” James lifted Finn into his arms. “Look out 2032 Olympics,” James joked. “Finn Joseph Scott takes gold.”

April gave a little laugh. “I can’t believe he’s so good and everything he tries,” April exhaled as she swam over to James and her son, putting her hand on the back of Finn’s head and kissing him. “How come you are so good at everything buddy?” April questioned.

“I’m awesome.” Finn grinned and James and April gave a little laugh.

“He is though,” April said. “Like he could ride his bike without training wheel without us even helping him, he can swim with no armbands right away,” April exhaled. “My little baby is too clever,” April said. “And to be honest I’m not sure where he gets it from because I am not good at picking up stuff.”

“What you talking about?” James laughed. “You’re awesome at whatever you try.”

“Sportswise?” April shook her head. “And he doesn’t really get it from Xav either.”

“I thought he surfed?” James cocked his head to the side a little.

“I’d use that term loosely,” April rolled her eyes. “You going to be a little athlete bud?” April rubbed the back of her sons head again. “You’re a little natural at whatever you try.”

“Yeah,” Finn nodded. “Can I go surf with daddy?”

“Oh I don’t know about that,” April shook her head. “You’re so little buddy.”

“Mummy please.” Finn clasped his hands like he was praying as he gave a sad pout and puppy dog eyes.

“Yeah mummy, please,” James also pouted as he gave the same puppy dog eyes as Finn. “I’ll teach him to surf real good and you just said he was a little natural at whatever he tried.” James batted his eye lashes as April as he continued to pout.

“Can you even get surfboards small enough?” April questioned.

“We’ll get him a boogie board.” James told her.

“Yeah,” Finn sounded super excited. “Let me boogie mummy.” Finn continued to pout. James laughed as he looked at Finn before he too put the pout back on his face.

“Okay,” April gave a little nod and Finn cheered, flinging his hands up in the air. “And you get that silly look off your face.” April slapped James’ chest before she softly kissed his lips. Finn giggled as he put one hand the back of each of their heads, pushing them more together. April laughed at her son as she pulled back. “What you doing?” April ticked his side as he giggled.

“I’m gonna swim.” Finn said, pushing his hands on James’ chest, wanting back in the water. James let go of Finn, Finn going right under. He pushed himself back up and started swimming away, James and April sharing another quick kiss before swimming after Finn.

“She okay?” Brax questioned as Charlie walked back over to their bed and got back in. Georgia had been through crying, mumbling something Brax couldn’t quite make out.

“She’s fine,” Charlie answered. “She just doesn’t want to go home tomorrow.”

“Bless her,” Brax pulled Charlie closer to him in the bed. “She’s had a blast. So has Daniel, we all have really.”

“It’s always nice to escape reality for a little while huh?” Charlie questioned, her head resting on his chest. “But work is calling,” Charlie gave a little yawn. “The kids need to go back to school too.”

“Bet Daniel is chuffed at that.” Brax laughed.

“He likes school,” Charlie replied. “Ruby the one who’s struggling lately,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I don’t want her to fail. I know it must be hard to concentrate when she’s trying to get over losing Dexter but school is important.”

“I’m sure she knows that,” Brax replied as he kissed her head, his hand rubbing her arm. “And she’ll want to make Dex proud. She’ll still pass,” Brax assured her, continuing to rub her arm. “And this break has been good for her,” Brax said. “Getting her out of the bay was probably the best thing we could have done. I was looking at her over dinner and thinking she’d looked happier. There was more light on her face, her eyes didn’t look so sad,” Brax said. “I know that she will never fully get over losing Dex but she’s learning how to cope more now. She’s knows she can still be out there, having fun and not feel guilty for it because she knows that Dex knows he’s still being missed.”

“Yeah yeah, I know,” Charlie agreed. “And you know I appreciate you saying she can come home.” Charlie exhaled. Ruby had been living with Dexter in the same building than April and James but after he died, she couldn’t face going back into the home they shared, so of course she moved back home with her mother and Brax.

“Why would I say no?” Brax questioned. “She’s our daughter and she needed us.” Brax placed another kiss on her head.

“Still,” Charlie said. “You’re pretty awesome. I can’t wait to start planning this wedding with you. I can’t wait to be Mrs Braxton.” Charlie smiled up at him.

“Me either.” Brax grinned as he placed a soft kiss on her lips, Charlie smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other, lying back down on the bed.

“Mummy,” Finn batted on her shoulder. “Mummy.” Finn said again, pulling her eye open.

“Mmm,” April moaned as her eyes fluttered before they opened. She gave a yawn as she saw her son standing at her side of the bed. “What’s wrong bud?” April sat up in the bed as Finn climbed up and crawled in between April and James, James still fast asleep. Finn slipped in under the covers before looking up at his mother.

“I woke up.” Finn gave a little shrug.

April glanced to the digital clock on the bedside table and saw it was 5.04am. “I thought all that swimming yesterday would have kept you sleeping longer.” April said, running her hand over his hair. Finn had been in the pool most all of the day, only coming out to quickly eat his lunch. Finn loving swimming around now he was free of his armbands.

“It was so much fun.” Finn grinned, April smiling as she saw his little face light up.

“Yeah,” April answered. “And we have snorkeling today,” April told him. “Are you excited to see all the fish?”

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded. “Eh well eh,” Finn looked a little flustered. “Uh will I see sharks and dolphins and whales and uhm....turlteses?”

“You might be lucky enough to see a turtle but I don’t think you’ll see sharks, dolphins or whales.” April stifled a laugh.

“Aww,” Finn pouted sadly. “Thems be the cool ones.”

“What about Dory and Nemo?” April questioned. “You and daddy can hunt for those guys, hmm?” April once again ran her hand over his head as he gave a little nod, a grin on his face, Finn displaying his lovely set of white teeth.

“Nemo is cool,” Finn said. “We find him,” Finn told his mother. “You come too?” Finn questioned, staring up at his mother, his big brown eyes all wide.

“Of course I will,” April answered before she yawned again. “But first, we are going to play a little game.” April told him.

“Ooh,” Finn gasped. “What game?”

“It’s called close your eyes and go back to sleep.” April said lightly tickling Finn’s side, Finn giving a little giggle.

“I’m not sleepy.” Finn said through the laughter.

“Well it’s too early to wake up,” April said, seeing in Finn’s eyes he was in fact still tired. “We need to try to get a couple more hours, okay?” April lay back down in the bed, Finn laying down and snuggling close to her. She wrapped her arm around her son as she kissed the side of his head, Finn and her both closing their eyes to get back to sleep.

Thank you.

nineteen

“No, stop,” Georgia shouted as she pulled the t-shirt Charlie had just folded into the suitcase back out. “I’s staying.” Georgia went to take more clothes but Charlie lifted her daughter out of the way.

“You can’t stay sweetie,” Charlie kept a hold of her in her arms as tears rolled down Georgia’s cheeks. “Our holiday is finished. We need to go home to our house and you can go back to day care and see your friends,” Charlie said. “You can go play with Poppy when we get home.” Charlie rubbed her back as her cries only seemed to get louder.

“No,” Georgia kicked her legs, trying to get free from Charlie’s grasp. “I stayin’ ‘ere.”

“You can’t,” Charlie told her. “They need this room for other little boys and girls who are coming on holiday.”

“I share it,” Georgia sniffed back. “I stay Bawi.”

“So you’ll stay here and mummy, daddy, Ruby and Daniel will go back home?” Charlie questioned. Georgia sniffed back as she wiped her hands over her eyes before nodding her head. “Yeah?” Charlie said. “I think mummy will miss you too much if she leaves you in Bali.”

“You stay,” Georgia spoke in a whisper. “Me and you stays.”

“Mummy has to go back home to work,” Charlie told her daughter. “I can’t work from Bali, can I?”

“You gottsa uhm,” Georgia moved her hair from in front of her face. “Get bad guys.”

“That’s right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “And you know what else will happen when we get home?” Charlie questioned and Georgia gave a little shrug. “Mummy and daddy will get married and you get to be my very special flower girl and wear a pretty dress but if you stay in Bali mummy and daddy will be to sad to get married without you there.”

“We get pizza?” Georgia questioned.

“At the wedding?” Charlie screwed her face up. “I don’t think we’ll have pizza at the wedding.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“No no,” Georgia shook her head. “I go ‘ome.”

“You’ll come home for pizza?” Charlie questioned and Georgia nodded her head a little. “Right, we’ll get pizza from daddy’s restaurant for dinner tonight if you come home.” Charlie tried not to laugh at being bribed by her two-year-old.

“Kay.” Georgia nodded her head. “We come back?”

“Oh yeah,” Charlie nodded. “We’ll come back again one day,” Charlie said, putting Georgia back down on the bed. “So, you going to help mummy pack away the rest of your clothes?” Charlie questioned and Georgia nodded as she picked up the t-shirt she had discarded earlier and laid it neatly into the suitcase as Charlie took the rest of Georgia’s clothes from the wardrobe.

April, James and Finn were on the boat, going out to their snorkeling trip. James and Finn were looking over the side, Finn on the lookout for dolphins as they cruised to the reef. April was sitting facing away from the water, her head in her hands as she was leaning forward, taking deep breaths. “You alright hun?” James said, glancing down at her.

“Mmm.” April moaned.

“Look like you might need these,” April looked up as she heard the voice. The guide on the boat was standing with a bottle of water and holding two little pills. “Always have sea sickness pills on board.”

“I’m not sea sick.” April replied as she looked up to the young woman, who only looked around April’s age.

“Well you look a bit peaky to me,” The woman said. “At least take the water to sip on.”

“Thanks.” April gave her a smile as she took the bottle before the woman walked off. James sat down next to April and rubbed her back in comfort.

“Little peanut bothering you?” James questioned and April gave a little nod in reply. “Well that’s not very nice is it?” James put his other hand onto April’s stomach. “We ask you nicely not to make mummy sick and you are,” James exhaled. “She’s going to be trouble this one.” James joked and April managed the weakest of smiles.

“So she’ll take after you then?” April questioned.

James gasped. “I am offended,” James said. “I was a little angel.”

April stifled a laugh before taking a drink of her water. She put her hand on her chest as she tried to swallow away the sickening feeling in her stomach. “I’m going to the toilet.” April said as she stood up, her hand brushing over her stomach as she left. James watched as she walked off, feeling totally helpless.

“Where’s mummy going?” Finn questioned as he grabbed onto James, Finn standing up behind James on the seats.

“She’s just gone to the bathroom,” James answered. “She’ll be back soon.”

“Oh,” Finn leaned his head down onto James’ shoulder. “Can I go with mummy?”

“Nah dude just stay here with me,” James grabbed onto Finn and lifted him over his shoulder, Finn giggling as he flipped upside down before James sat him on his knee. “She’ll be back soon.”

“Then we go see fishes?” Finn questioned, turning his head as he pointed out to the ocean.

“Yup,” James nodded as he leaned forward and pulled out the little card on all the different types of fish they might see. “You need to look out for all of these.”

“Thems lots,” Finn put his hand on the card. “I really see all dems ones?” Finn wondered.

“Nah,” James answered. “You probably won’t see them all but I’m sure we’ll spot some,” James said. “Daddy wants to see a seahorse.” James said he too excited for the snorkeling.

“Horses don’t live in the water.” Finn gave a little giggle.

“Seahorses do,” James said. “One of these ones,” James pointed to the picture. “That’s what I want to see.”

“That’s not look like a horse,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “It’s weird.”

“Yeah,” James gave a little laugh. “But I think I’ll have to be very lucky to see a seahorse,” James exhaled. “Maybe need to settle for finding Nemo and Dory instead huh?”

“I’ll see all the fishes,” Finn grinned proudly, very sure of himself that he would see all the fish. “And a turtle a shark and a whale and a dolphin too.”

“Ah wow sounds like you are going to be a great little snorkeler,” James said, running his hand over Finn’s hair. “I’ll need to stick by you then huh?”

“Yeah,” Finn nodded. “I show you all thems ones daddy.” Finn said as the boat stopped, James looking around to see they were by the reef. The crew anchored the boat as the girl who offered April the seasickness pills came back out, explaining they were now at the first snorkel spot of the day.

“Let’s go then.” James said standing up as he placed the card down in April’s bag. He put Finn down on the floor before they walked across to collect their fins and snorkel gear.

“We go see fishes.” Finn jumped excitedly in the air as he watched other people from the boat already going in the water.

“Ah you are going to have a great time huh?” The lady said and Finn nodded vigorously. “He want this?” The lady picked up a floatie with a window on it. Finn stared at it, his nose curling as he shook his head.

“No I get snorkels.” Finn pointed to the box of masks and snorkels.

“Has he done it before?” The lady questioned.

“Nah but he’ll no doubt pick it up right away.” James answered as he ruffled Finn’s hair.

“Pick what up?” James looked around as April was stood behind him, her sundress already discarded so she could come in snorkeling too.

“Snorkeling.” James said.

“Ah yeah he’ll be showing me what to do.” April said, wrapping her arm around her son as he leaned back into her.

“Right well we can give it a go,” The lady said as she got everyone some equipment out. “Noodles are there if you want to use them.” The lady pointed to the box of noodles that acted as floating devices for them. “You two don’t need to wear one if you don’t want but we do advise children as young as your son to wear a life jacket as well.”

“No problem,” James said. “Safety first eh.” James picked up the little life jacket and put it on to Finn.

“I’ll take one please,” April said and the lady nodded as she got April a life jacket. “You want a noodle buddy?” April spoke down to her son who was trying to get into the water already but James was holding him back, still trying to get him to put the fins on.

“Why?” Finn questioned.

“It’ll help you float so you can see the fish better,” April told him. “And hold still so daddy can put your fins on.”

“Fins,” Finn giggled as he sat down to let James put them on for him. “They’s my name,” He gave another giggle before reaching his hand out. “A yellow one,” Finn answered and April pulled the yellow noodle from the box and handed it to her son. “Now we go?” Finn said as James lifted him up to standing.

“How about a family picture before you go in?” The boats photographer who was sitting at the edge of the boat questioned.

“Hurry then.” Finn sighed, desperately wanting to get into the water. James lifted him back up and held him between April and himself as the family posed for a photo.

“Right, little dude now we can snorkel.” James said as he threw Finn into the water before he and April got in, the family ready to go and spot some fish.

twenty

April tried to enjoy the snorkeling with her son, but she kept feeling like she was going to throw up. She was enjoying looking at all the different types of fish, enjoying even more hearing her sons excitement and being led around the reef by him, but after about 20 minutes in the water, she needed to get out, only just making it onto the boat before she threw up back into the water from the stairs. “I’m sorry.” April felt the need to apologise as she took her life jacket off, hanging it on the hanger where she’d put her mask and snorkel.

“You missed the boat,” The crew worker – who was sitting over the edge – said. “How was it out there?”

“Awesome,” April answered. “Wish I could stay out longer but I,” April stopped taking as she thought she was about to throw up again. Her hand went onto her chest and she swallowed away the feeling.

“Get a little sea sick?” The lady questioned.

“No no,” April shook her head. “Uhm....” April pursed her lips. She didn’t want to start telling people about the baby but she’d never see this person again after the boat trip. “Morning sickness.” April spoke quietly and the woman gave a little nod of understanding.

“Oh well congratulations,” The woman said and April gave a thankful smile. “Go take it easy and have some water.” The woman said and April gave a little nod before walking across the boat to their things, taking out the bottle of water and taking a drink as she looked out to find James and Finn.

“I was only sick like 4 times with your brother,” April took a seat, sitting facing out to the water so she could watch the boys. “I think I’ve been sick more than that with you already,” April ran her hand over her stomach. “Mummy doesn’t need to be sick. She has school and I need to look after Finn and sometimes even daddy needs help,” April gave a little laugh to herself. “So we’ll stick to you growing all healthy but no more making me sick.” April said, her hand rubbing her stomach. She was more into the idea of having the baby now. Although another child right now wasn’t really what she wanted, she could see how much James was already excited for the baby and that alone made her feel better about the fact she was pregnant. She took another drink of the water as she watched James with Finn. They were treading water, or at least, James was as he kept an arm around Finn, the pair of them talking about something they’d just seen. April knew how much James adored Finn and watching him with her son, she knew how lucky this baby was going to be. She ran her engagement ring around her finger, already looking forward to the day she’d become Mrs King.

Georgia ran up the stairs to the restaurant, Charlie, Brax and Daniel following after her. Like promised, they went to the restaurant so Georgia could have some pizza for dinner. Charlie and Brax liking the thought of going out anyways, neither of them wanting to cook after having just got home from their holiday. “Is that Uncle Heath?” Daniel pointed over to the table, where Heath was sitting it Bianca and Kaya.

“Nah he’s isn’t here, he’s....” Brax trailed off as he saw him. “It is,” Brax sounded very surprised to see his brother sitting in his restaurant. “Bro,” Brax walked over to the table as Heath stood up. “What you doing here?” Brax questioned as he gave his brother a man hug.

“He’s eating dinner with me and mummy.” Kaya answered, as if it was obvious.

“You always talk about how lovely this part is,” Heath said. “Thought I’d come and see it for myself.”

“Is Case here too?” Brax questioned. “And Tash?”

“No,” Heath answered quickly, not making eye contact with his brother. “Oh wow look at Georgia,” Heath gasped, not believing how big she’d gotten. “She was like 6 months old when I saw her last.”

“I’m 2,” Georgia told him as she held onto her mother’s leg, leaning her head against it. “We be’d Bawi.” Georgia said.

“Ah wow lucky you getting a holiday,” Heath grinned down at her. “You have fun?”

“Uh-huh,” Georgia nodded. “I no come home.” Georgia gave a sad pout.

“Aw you can’t stay on holiday forever.” Heath ruffled her hair before she hid her head even more into Charlie’s leg.

“Heath,” Daniel looked to his uncle. “Do you want to come surf with me and dad tomorrow?”

“Sure I do,” Heath nudged Daniel’s arm. “Show me all your new skills huh?” Heath questioned and Daniel gave a nod, excited for the outing already.

“Looks like I am going surfing tomorrow.” Brax mumbled and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“So how was the holiday?” Bianca gave friend a hug, seeing the look on Charlie’s face as she tried to suss out what Heath was doing having dinner with Bianca and Kaya.

“Sit with us.” Kaya banged her hand off the table.

“Yeah join us,” Heath said, he and Brax then pulling a free table across so they could all sit together. “You can tell me all about Bali, huh?” Heath glanced at Georgia who was still hiding behind her mother. Charlie pulled at Georgia so she wasn’t clinging onto her before sitting down at the table, catching up with her friends as the kids started telling Bianca and Heath all about their holiday. Brax watched his brother, seeing him sharing sly glances with Bianca and wondered what had really brought him to the bay.

April, James and Finn were getting some dinner at a restaurant in the town. Finn was still super excited about his day snorkeling, telling anyone who’d listen about all the different fish he’d spotted and telling April like a million times. “Then we sawed the turtle,” Finn shrieked. “I really did.”

“Yeah,” April smiled. “Mummy saw the turtle too. Mummy likes turtles.”

“It was my best day,” Finn exhaled. “Can we do it again tomorrow?”

“Nah we are going to go to the beach tomorrow dude,” James told him. “We are going to get you a boogie board and I’ll show you how to surf.” James said and Finn squealed loudly, a few people in the restaurant staring in his direction.

“Shh buddy,” April put her hand over his mouth. “Not so loud.”

“I’s is just too excited,” Finn beamed. “Turtles and Nemo’s and swim and surf,” Finn sounded like he was going to burst. “It just wow.” Finn widened his eyes as he grinned.

April smiled at seeing her son so happy. “Well I’m very glad you are having a great time buddy,” April said. “Mummy is having a great time too. Daddy was very nice to bring us here, huh?”

“Daddy is the bestest in the world,” Finn grinned before he shook his head. “No no,” Finn hit his palms against his cheeks. “Mummy first is most bestest,” Finn said. “Then daddy after you.” Finn gave a curt nod, like he was agreeing with himself.

“Mummy is the best huh?” James said, agreeing with Finn’s comment. Finn continued to nod before he reached for his juice and took a drink.

“You is second daddy,” Finn told him. “Don’t be sad, okay. I love you still too.”

“Aww I know you do,” James felt his heart melting as he and April shared a smile. “I love you too little dude,” James told him. “And I love mummy very very much.” James gave April a gooey eyed grin and April grinned back at him.

“I love you boys too,” April said. “We’re a pretty neat family huh?” April questioned.

“Yeah. We’re neat.” Finn giggled and April and James joined in with his infectious laugh before looking to each other and smiling once again, it very evident that they both loving how their lives had turned out.

Archived