Forever and Always

Thank you Kristen. :)

seventy-one

Daniel and Georgia ran out to the back garden. “Oh can we go in the pool too?” Daniel questioned looking up to Brax who was following behind them.

“Sure,” Brax answered. “Go get your swimmers on.” Brax said and the kids cheered before running off into the house and up the stairs.

“How did the dentists visit go?” Charlie questioned, walking over to her husband.

“All good,” Brax told her, Georgia and Daniel having had an appointment with the dentist. “How’s Eli?”

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips. “He’s very....he doesn’t know how to.....play nice?” Charlie pursed her lips , trying to find a better word to use.

“Well he’s an only child. He’s used to getting everything his way.” Brax exhaled.

“Surely he’ll learn to share and play nice at Kindy.” Charlie said, watching Eli who was sitting at the edge of the pool, dangling his feet in the water but not going in to play with Ruby, Kobe and Finn.

“Maybe he doesn’t go,” Brax shrugged. “Not every kid does,” Brax exhaled. “So, little Finn is here,” Brax noted. “How’s Leo?”

“As far as Ruby was aware he is doing okay,” Charlie told him. “Poor April. She must be beside herself. Being told he’s fine after his early arrival and then this happening,” Charlie pursed her lips. “And now I feel bad because I told her he’d more than likely be fine. What if I told her not to even bother going to the hospital?” Charlie wondered. “I mean then they wouldn’t know he was sick and maybe it would be too late and....” Charlie trailed off, shaking her head.

“Hey hey, c’mon Charlie,” Brax pulled her into a hug. “Don’t think like that. It wasn’t for you to say whether Leo needed a doctor or not,” Brax told her, rubbing her back as he spoke. “The main thing is they did go to the doctors and he’s getting the medicine he needs.”

“Yeah,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Yeah I know,” Charlie cleared her throat. “Anyways, Rubes told the boys you’d do a barbeque for lunch, so best get that started eh?”

“Rubes did, did she?” Brax questioned.

“Hmm,” Charlie nodded. “So, best get it started. And cook enough burgers. Remember the last time we had a barbeque Finn ate about 3 and still said he wasn’t full?”

“Yeah,” Brax laughed. “The kid can eat. I’m glad I’m not the one feeding him on a daily basis.”

Charlie gave a little chuckle as she glanced out at Finn who was swimming away from Kobe, Kobe pretending to be a shark and trying to catch him and Ruby. “I’ll go make a salad.” Charlie said.

“Salad for a 9 year old, 5 year old, a 4, a 3 and a 2 year old?” Brax pulled a face as he shook his head.

“They’ll eat some,” Charlie replied. “Besides you’re plate could do with more salad less meat.” Charlie said as he patted Brax’s stomach. Brax gasped, mocking offence.

“Excuse me Charlotte,” Brax exhaled. “I’ve got a smoking hot bod. Six pack and all.” Brax said, patting his stomach.

“Yeah a six pack of beer in the fridge.” Charlie muttered and Brax shook his head at her cheekiness.

“So cheeky.” Brax said, his arm wrapping around her waist, pulling her close to him.

“Mmm but that’s why you love me, right?” Charlie grinned and Brax gave a little nod before placing a soft kiss on her lips, Charlie letting the kiss deepen as she wrapped her arms around his neck, the pair hanging onto the kiss for that little bit longer.

April walked down the corridor and went back into the room where Leo was. She watched James for a moment, gazing down at his son. She didn’t doubt for a second that James didn’t love Leo and she knew everyone dealt with things differently, but was still hurt that James handled it the way he did. Needless to say they hadn’t really talked much all morning, even more so after Ruby and Finn and then Bianca left. “Here.” April handed James the sandwich.

“What’s this?” James asked.

“A sandwich,” April pointed out the obvious. “I thought you might be hungry.”

“I thought you were mad at me.” James sighed.

“I am,” April replied as she gently ran her hand over Leo’s forehead. “But you still need to eat.” April had gone for lunch at the canteen, James choosing not to go along with her, wanting to stay with his son, wanting to prove to April he was here now for them both.

James glanced down and read the sandwich label. “Egg mayonnaise,” James scrunched his face up. “Didn’t they have anything else? I’m not too keen on egg mayonnaise.”

“I know,” April replied, her gaze staying on her son. “And yeah there were plenty others.” April mumbled, James sighing lightly before he opened the packaging, going to eat the sandwich anyways as he was actually pretty hungry.

“Punishing me by buying me sandwiches I don’t like,” James muttered. “Weird one.”

“What was that?” April glanced at James, her head cocking to the side a little.

“Nothing.” James cleared his throat. He knew April had heard him and really didn’t want to start an argument, especially over his sick son’s bed. He sighed lightly before he took a bite of the sandwich. He opened his mouth to talk again but was glad when the door opened and Irene walked into the room.

She immediately picked up on the tension in the room. “Hey,” Irene smiled at April, trying to ignore it. “How’s the little one?” Irene looked down to Leo as he slept, the IV line coming from his vein, giving him his medication.

“He’s responding well.” April told her.

“Well that’s great,” Irene put her hand into the cot, gently rubbing his little hand with her index finger. “Hmm, what you doing getting mummy and daddy all worried?” Irene questioned.

“I’m just going to use the bathroom.” James said, standing up and leaving the room.

Irene waited till the door was closed before looking back to April. “Things seem tense.” Irene noted. April pursed her lips as she glanced at Leo before looking back to Irene.

“He just.....he surprised me,” April sighed. “And he let me down. He....” April trailed of as she shook her head. Irene exhaled knowing April’s emotions would still be settling following the birth of Leo and that she would sort things with James soon enough. “I do get why he’d be so scared but walking out like that and not coming back for over 24 hours was not the way to deal with it. I mean anything could have happened to Leo in that time and he wouldn’t be here and...” April became inaudible as heavy tears started to stream down her cheeks.

“Oh love.” Irene walked over to the side of the cot April was standing at and pulled her up into a hug, April letting it all out as Irene held her in her arms.

“Mummy,” Kaya looked to Bianca. “Can I ask now?” Kaya wondered, Bianca screwing her face up, not sure what Kaya was going on about.

“Ask who what?” Bianca questioned. Kaya looked at her mother, her eyebrows furrowing in annoyance, the girl obviously expecting her mother to have known what she was going on about. She sighed as she leaned up and whispered something into her mother’s ear. “Oh, yes, you can.” Bianca said as she glanced at Heath, Heath pulling a face in confusion at what was going on.

Kaya grinned as she shook a little in excitement before turning around to face him. “Heath?” Kaya looked up to him, her big green eyes all wide.

“Yes cupcake?” Heath questioned, intrigued to know what she wanted to say.

“Well,” Kaya looked nervous all of a sudden. “Ehm.....well,” She exhaled as she played with her hair before looking to her mum. Bianca gave her a nod of encourangement as she rubeed her back.“You know I’m in Girl Guides?”

“Yep,” Heath gave a little nod, looking to Bianca before looking back to Kaya. “What about it?”

“Well we are having a dance for Christmas,” Kaya told him. “And it’s called the daddy daughter dance,” Kaya said. “But it’s not all daddy’s that’s going,” Kaya said. “Sadie is bringing her uncle cos her daddy is in heaven and Lisa doesn’t know who her daddy is so she’ll bring her mum’s dad, so her granddad,” Kaya exhaled, Heath feeling his heart beating faster as he thought he knew what was coming. He glanced at Bianca, who smiled at the grin that was on his face. “Will you come to the daddy daughter dance with me?” Kaya wondered.

“Of course I will,” Heath felt genuinely touched. “I’d be honoured.”

“Yey,” Kaya jumped up from the couch and leapt into his arms, giving him a hug. Heath placed a soft kiss on her temple before she pulled back. “Can we go to the beach now?” Kaya wondered and Bianca gave a little nod before Kaya ran through to her bedroom to get her swim suit. Heath glanced back to Bianca who’d stood to her feet and walked over to him, bending down before him.

“What?” Heath questioned.

“I just love you so much.” Bianca smiled, glad she’d found someone like Heath, not only for herself but for Kaya.

“I love you too.” Heath said, pulling Bianca close to him for a kiss.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much. :wub:

seventy-two

The kids were sprawled across the living room floor, the 4 of them drawing pictures. Charlie was relaxing on the couch and Brax had gone in to work, leaving Charlie with the task of getting not three kids, but tonight because of little Eli’s visit, she’d need to bath and bed four children. She was wincing at the noise that was in the room, despite the kids all drawing, it sounded like they were having about 10 conversations at once. “And we want to have another.” Charlie mumbled as her hand unintentionally brushed over her stomach. Eli was proving the loudest, which was a bit of a surprise giving how quiet he’d been all morning but it seemed like he was coming out of his shell now he’d been there the best part of a day.

“Can I get the blue?” Kobe asked, pointing to the felt tip pen in Eli’s hand. Eli took a tighter grip of it as he shook his head.

“It’s mineses.” Eli told him.

“You’re not even using it,” Daniel observed, Eli holding the yellow felt in his other hand, colouring a part of his picture. “And it’s not yours. My mum bought them for us.”

“Eli,” Charlie exhaled, knowing she had to step in now so the boys didn’t start bickering even more. “Let Kobe use the blue felt,” Charlie spoke in a soft tone. “You can get it back when he’s finished.”

“No,” Eli raised his voice. “I want it. It’s my colour.”

“In this house we share,” Charlie told him. “Can you please give Kobe the felt?”

“No,” Eli jumped up to his feet. “I don’t have to share.” Eli said before he ran over to the hall, his paper and the blue and yellow felt going with his.

“Oh he’s a naughty boy.” Georgia said as she reached for the orange felt to colour her picture. Charlie gave a little nod, agreeing with Georgia before looking to Kobe who looked like he was going to cry.

“You okay bud?” Charlie walked over to her son and bent down next to him, rubbing his back.

“I can’t finish the picture with no blue,” Kobe started to cry. “I just need the blue.”

“Hey hey,” Charlie pulled him into her. “It’s not worth getting upset over,” Charlie told him. “You can finish this picture later, yeah?” Charlie said.

“Once he see’s you don’t want it anymore he probably won’t want it either.”

“But I just wanted it to be nice for you,” Kobe cried. “It’s ruined.”

Charlie was a little bemused at her son’s over dramatics, but also knew that Eli needed to be taught how to share. She glanced out to the hall to see the boy was peering at them through the gap in the door, throwing the blue felt tip up and down in his hand. “You no be sad Kobe,” Georgia crawled across to him, patting his arm in comfort. “I give you my one.” Georgia handed out the orange felt for Kobe to take.

“Thank you Georgia.” Kobe sniffed back as he took the felt in his hand, staring down at it. Georgia gave a big grin as she glanced at her mother, looking very pleased with herself at having helped with Kobe.

“You kids finish up your pictures, hmm?” Charlie rubbed Kobe’s back once more before placing a soft kiss on his temple. “I’ll get you supper ready.” Charlie said, heading though to the kitchen to prepare the kids’ supper.

Ruby and Finn walked into the house, walking down the hall to the living room where she could hear raised voices. She was about to take hold of Finn and leave the house again but he suddenly burst into a run, breaking through the living room door. “Mummy.” Finn ran over to her.

“Hey bud,” April cleared her throat as Ruby appeared in the room, April knowing all too well she would have heard the shouting. “How was your day with Aunty Rubes?”

“Fun,” Finn answered. “We swimmed in the pool all day and Charlie’s got a new boy, Eli.” Finn exhaled. “He’s not nice.” Finn shook his head.

“Oh,” April looked a little confused before she glanced at James, who looked pissed, most likely because Ruby had just waltzed in right in the middle of a rather heated discussion.

“Sorry for just walking in,” Ruby cleared her throat as she felt James’ gaze on her. “I did knock but you obviously didn’t hear and Finn just said he could open the door because it was his house,” Ruby gave a little laugh, trying to lighten the mood in the room. “I can go again if you....” Ruby trailed off as she pointed to the door.

“No it’s fine,” April was trying to sound upbeat. She cleared her throat as she glanced down to her watch. “Right you are home just in time for bath time,” April put her hands on her sons shoulders. “Rubes timed that well, huh?” April said and Finn nodded in reply. “On you go up stairs. Daddy will come bath you.”

“What?” James faced her again. “We are kinda in the middle of something here, can’t Ruby do it?” James questioned. “You wouldn’t mind, would you?” James looked back to Ruby.

“Uh no,” Ruby shook her head. “I can take him if you -”

“No,” April shook her head. “Jay, go and bath him.” April ordered.

James exhaled lightly as he walked over to the door to the stairway. “C’mon bud.” James held his hand out and Finn ran over, leaving the room with him.

Ruby pursed her lips, silence filling the room for a moment. “So how’s it going?” Ruby wondered, biting her bottom lip as both herself and April walked over to the couch to take a seat.

April sniggered as she gave a little shrug. “I’m just so angry with him.”

“You have rights to be,” Ruby exhaled. “But you will get passed this right?” Ruby was a little worried for her friends.

“Of course,” April answered. “It’s not like I will throw him out because of this but I....I’m just letting him know I am mad.” April rolled her engagement ring around her finger as she spoke.

“That’s fair enough,” Ruby exhaled. “But remember right now you’ve got a little guy in the hospital that needs both his parents around him,” Ruby light rubbed April’s arm as she spoke. “You guys need to cut the tension and be there for Leo.”

“I know,” April sighed. “And we probably would have sorted things if you hadn’t come in.” April told her friend as she sucked in her bottom lip.

“Sorry,” Ruby apologised. “I can leave.” Ruby pointed to the door.

“Nah, he’s bathing Finn then he’ll be putting him to bed so we dont have time to chat,” April exhaled. “So, what’s this about your mum having another little boy?” April questioned. “They fostering again?”

“Ah no,” Ruby shook her head. “Just an emergency care placement. He’s only here for a couple days,” Ruby exhaled as April gave a little nod of understanding. “How’s Leo?”

“He’s responding well so I guess he’s doing good.” April answered, Ruby picking up on the fear for her son in her voice.

“Well that’s good,” Ruby smiled. “Come Christmas he’ll be home all well again and you’ll have a great day with Jay and the boys. Make Leo’s first Christmas a great one.”

“Yeah,” April smiled. She was happy her friend was keeping her positive. “Rubes, I’ve not....I’ve not been too hard on Jay, have I?” April bit her lip.

“Well,” Ruby paused. “I dunno, I mean....he....I think there was probably better ways he could have dealt with the news,” Ruby answered. “But if he needed a little time, you know, I...I don’t blame him. He did lose him mum to pneumonia and hearing that your son might have it to can’t have been easy.”

“I was there hearing the same thing and I....if he’d stayed we would have had each other to lean on,” April exhaled, her head bowing as she continued to play with her engagement ring. “It just makes me wonder about the next time a situation like this crops up what he’s going to go do.”

“I’d suspect he’d learn from this mistake,” Ruby murmured. “But I am going to go and leave you to sort this with Jay. Let me know if you want me to watch Finn again tomorrow yeah?”

“Yeah I’ll give you a text,” April told her as they stood up. “See you.”

“Bye.” Ruby said before she left the house, hoping April and James would have a good talk once Finn was in bed.

seventy-three

Charlie walked passed Ruby’s room, the bedroom door ajar. “Mum?” Ruby questioned. Charlie took a few steps backwards, standing herself in the doorway as she pushed the door open further.

“Hmm?” Charlie questioned. She noticed Ruby looked upset as she was staring at a picture in the picture frame she was holding in her hands. “You okay?”Charlie walked into the room and took a seat on the bed next to her daughter, looking down to the picture of Ruby and Dex that was in Ruby’s hands.

“I love Evan.” Ruby sounded like she was going to cry.

“Well that’s a good thing, right?” Charlie rubbed her daughters back in comfort. Ruby gave a little nod before she shrugged, her head sort of shaking.

“I love him,” Ruby repeated. “I just don’t know if I am in love with him,” Ruby’s voice broke as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I know I don’t love him like I loved Dex so maybe I’m not actually in love with him.”

“Sweetie,” Charlie exhaled as she continued to rub her daughters back. “Dex was your first love and that’s always going to be special for you,” Charlie told her. “But I’ve seen you with Evan. I’ve seen the way you look at him, the way you are around him,” Charlie spoke softly. “And what you have.....sweetie, that’s true love.”

“You really think so?” Ruby questioned.

“I do,” Charlie spoke softly as she nodded her head. “And I think you do to,” Charlie exhaled. “You’re just scared to let yourself admit it because you feel like you are betraying Dex’s memory in some way but you never will,” Charlie assured her. “He’s always going to be special but it doesn’t mean you can’t have something just as special or even more so with Evan,” Charlie lightly rubbed Ruby cheek as she gave her mother a weak smile. “What’s brought this on?” Charlie questioned a bit confused as to why Ruby was questioning her relationship. “You seem really happy with Evan.”

“I am,” Ruby answered. “But I still miss Dex and Evan’s been talking recently about babies and marriage and all and it’s just....it’s fast anyways and I....I’ve only ever thought about that stuff with Dex.”

“Even though we’d talked about it I never saw myself having children with Brax till I actually found out I was expecting Georgia,” Charlie admitted. “But it doesn’t mean I didn’t want it. I’d be lost with little Georgia and I’m so glad she came along when she did.”

“So, what are you saying?” Ruby sniffed back.

“That you don’t need to plan your life out,” Charlie exhaled. “Just enjoy being with Evan right now and let the rest happen when it does,” Charlie told her. “Don’t over think things or worry too much. Just keep having fun with the man you love.” Charlie said and Ruby gave her mother a smile as she nodded.

“Mmm,” Ruby exhaled. “Thanks.” Ruby gave her mother a smile, happy to have the reassurance she need to know that it was okay to still love and miss Dex but at the same time, to love Evan.

April walked out of the en-suite, staring at James as he was standing over the moses basket, holding the little lion teddy of Leo’s in his hand. April pursed her lips as she walked over to James. “If you want me to go to the guest room again tonight I’ll go,” James said, putting the teddy back in the cot and pointing out of the bedroom. April shook her head as she took his hand and led him over to the bed, the pair sitting down on the edge. “I’m really sorry for leaving like that. I know it was wrong of me but I panicked and....I....” James shook his head.

“I know it must have tough to think about Leo having pneumonia after losing your mum, but....” April paused, taking a moment to compose herself. “What about stepping up and being there with me and Leo....helping us....letting me help you through?”

“Look, I just made a stupid spur of the moment decision,” James said, turning to face her, taking his hands in hers and squeezing them gently. “I love you so much and I’m never going to leave you to deal with anything on your own again. I promise you that. I’m here for you, Finn and Leo, forever and always.”

April pursed her lips as she looked into James’ eyes. He looked genuinely sorry at how he’d handled things and she knew he’d never be stupid enough to do that again. She could continue to be mad with him, but it wouldn’t change anything and it certainly wouldn’t make Leo’s pneumonia go away. “Just promise me next time that you’ll stay and we can support each other through hard times.”

“I promise.” James told her as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Because running off and avoiding the truth is never the answer.” April exhaled.

“I know,” James rubbed her cheek with his thumb. “And I’m here. I promise you, hun. I’m here now and always.” James spoke softly before he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” April said as she leaned her forehead against his for a moment.

“You know, we still need to decide on the Godparent for little bro,” James said. “I think I’d like to ask Evan.”

“Look at you,” April raised her eyebrows. “This time 6 months ago we wouldn’t be thinking you want to ask him to have a drink with you, let alone be your son’s godfather.”

James chuckled. “I know, but, I’m glad you talked me into sense,” James admitted. “He’s a great brother. A great friend.”

April gave a little smile. “Well I was actually going to suggest we ask Bianca,” April pursed her lips. “Rubes is Finn’s godmother so I’d like to ask my sister this time.”

“Well,” James rubbed the back of his head. “We don’t necessarily need to ask a couple, do we?” James scrunched his face a little.

“Nah,” April shook her head. “We don’t really even need two godparents,” April pursed her lips. “Ruby and Dex both are Finn’s godparents but I was sure they’d be together forever. They just had that vibe about them,” April exhaled. “Not that I’m saying I don’t like her with Evan. I think they are a great couple but -”

“It’s alright. I know what you mean.” James told her.

“But we can go for Evan as his godfather and Bianca as his godmother,” April gave him a little smile. “Not going to hurt the kid to have to more people looking out for him, is it?” April questioned.

“Well they are his aunt and uncle,” James said. “I’m sure they’d look out for him no matter what anyways.”

“Jay,” Ruby slapped his chest. “You know what I mean.”

“Sorry yeah,” James yawned. “Well that’s that sorted then. Let’s get to bed, hmm?” James questioned and April nodded as they got themselves settled into bed, both of hoping that Leo would only keep improving and would soon be allowed home.

“Heath,” Kaya smiled at him as he walked into the kitchen, giving a stretch. “You slept in late.”

“Mummy kept me up all night.” Heath said, giving a cheeky grin as he wrapped his arms around her from being and kissed the crook of her neck.

“Why?” Kaya questioned. “What were you doing mummy?”

“Uhm,” Bianca pursed her lips as she nudged Heath away from her and walked to the fridge, taking out a bottle of water for herself and a carton of juice for Kaya. They were about to go into the city and Bianca wanted to take drinks for the car. “I just couldn’t sleep.” Bianca said glancing at Heath who was still giving a cheeky grin.

“Oh,” Kaya exhaled. “Well anyways we are going in Sydney.” As Kaya spoke her eyes widened in excitement.

“Ah yeah?” Heath glanced at Kaya. “What you going to do there?”

“I’m getting a new dress for our dance,” Kaya grinned, giving a little jump of excitement. “Do you have smart party clothes to wear?”

“I’m sure I’ve got something.” Heath told her, glancing at Bianca as if checking with her if he had any acceptable clothes to wear.

“Good, because you need to be smart.” Kaya told her, her index finger wagging in his direction.

Bianca gave a little laugh at her daughter. “Go take these to the car.” Bianca told her, handing her the drinks.

“See you later Heath.” Kaya said as she took the drinks from Bianca and ran out of the house.

“See ya cupcake,” Heath said as Kaya left. “You leaving me all on my lonesome today?” Heath gave a sad pout as he wrapped him arms around Bianca’s waist and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“Trust me you do not want to go shopping with Kaya,” Bianca exhaled. “She’s already a nightmare now so God help me when she’s a teenager.” Bianca mumbled and Heath gave a little laugh.

“Well try to have a nice day.” Heath told her, placing another kiss on her lips.

“Yeah. See you later.” Bianca smiled at her boyfriend before she left house to spend the day in Sydney with her daughter.

Thank you all so much. :)

seventy-four

April handed her expressed milk to Erin. Leo was being fed via a tube and although April was dying to be able to feed her son again, she was just pleased that he was still getting her milk at least. “So, how’s he doing?” April questioned, glancing down to her son, watching as his little chest moved up and down as he breathed.

“Improving slowly,” Erin told her before looking down as Finn was pulling on her dress. “Hey bud. How’s it going?”

“Uhm....” Finn looked all shy all of a sudden. “You looking after my baby Leo?”

“I am.” Erin smiled down at him.

“He be home on Chrissymas?” Finn wondered, his big brown eyes going all wide as he asked the questioned. Christmas was only 10 days away and given Erin mentioned that Leo may be in the hospital for up to two weeks, that would put him right up to Christmas day.

“I’m not sure yet buddy,” Erin bent down as she rubbed his upper arm. “We are doing everything we can to make sure your little brother gets better though.”

Finn furrowed his eyebrows. “He should be home for Santa.” Finn moaned before looking up to April.

“Tell her mummy.” Finn demanded.

“Leo might not be ready to come home for then bud,” April bent down in front of her elder son. “We hope he is but we want him to be ready to come home, don’t we?” April questioned and Finn nodded as he gave a little sigh.

“Santa’s going to brim me a scooter,” Finn said, looking back up to Erin. “Spideyman one.”

“Ah wow that’s cool.” Erin said. “Bet you’ll have lots of fun on that huh?”

“Yeah,” Finn gave a little jump of excitement. “I no no what he brims for Leo though.” Finn shrugged before running over to the cot, tiptoeing up to see his baby brother.

“Well I’ll take this milk to the fridge,” Erin said. “Give you guys some family time.” Erin told them before leaving the room.

“He’s looking better,” James said as he stared down at Leo. “He’s not so yellow today,” James exhaled. “Got that little bit of a pinky tinge.”

“Yeah he has.” April smiled as she put her hand into the cot, lightly stroking her son’s forehead, hoping this was the start of Leo getting back to normal and she really hoped, like Finn, that he’d be home with them in time for Christmas.

“Oh mummy can I get this?” Kaya picked up the barbie doll from the shelf.

“No,” Bianca took it from her hands and put it back onto the shelf. “We’re not shopping for toys for you,” Bianca sighed. “I’m just getting this doll to finish off Georgia’s Christmas then we’re going to look at dresses for your dance.” Bianca took Kaya’s hand and they made their way to the till in the shop so Bianca could pay for the doll.

“Well you could get it for my Christmas.” Kaya tried to go back to get the barbie doll.

“No,” Bianca spoke sternly. “You’ve got plenty for Christmas.”

“How do you know?” Kaya wondered. “Doesn’t Santa bring most of my stuff?” Kaya asked, staring up at her mother, her big green eyes all wide.

“Well yes, but,” Bianca pursed her lips. “I mean Santa will be bringing you enough. Don’t get greedy.” Bianca dragged her daughter away from the toys, wanting to get out the shop before Kaya spotted anything else she wanted. She pay for Georgia’s baby doll before they left the shop, going to the first clothing store, Bianca hoping Kaya wouldn’t take too long to pick out a dress that she liked.

Charlie walked into the house, glad to be finished a busy day at work. She heard raised voices from the living room, walking into see Eli was running away from Brax a cheeky smirk on his face. “He apposed to be in naughty seat.” Georgia told her mother as she ran over to her, Charlie lifting her up into a hug.

“Eli,” Brax sounded frustrated with the boy. “You’ve been asked to sit on the stool,” Brax pointed to the little red stool in the corner of the room where the kids would get sent after being naughty. Daniel and Kobe being on the stool was a very rare occurrence, but Georgia usually made good use of the stool. “Do as you are told please.”

“No,” Eli giggled defiantly as he ran around in circles. Brax took a deep breath before he grabbed Eli by the arm and took him back over, sitting him down on the stool. “Sit there for 4 minutes. You did something wrong and need a time out.”

Eli scowled up at Brax, looking like he was going to attempt to hit him. “No,” Eli screeched as he jumped down, giggling defiantly once again. “I’m off the stool, I’m off the stool.” Eli danced around the room, Brax sighing as he glanced at Charlie, holding his hands out to the side as if asking ‘what do I do’.

Charlie gave a little shrug as she put Georgia back down, Georgia running over to her brothers who were playing hungry hippos. “He was punching me.” Kobe spoke quietly and Charlie saw he’d been crying, his little face tearstained as his eyes were red and blotchy.

“He’s stupid.” Eli giggled.

“Eli,” Charlie stared down at the little boy. “Brax is asking you to do something. I think you should listen to him.”

“No,” Eli shook his head. “I don’t listen to no one.” Eli informed them, the cheeky smirk never lifting from his face.

“My mummy will put you in jail,” Kobe told him. “You’re not nice.”

“Will not,” Eli retorted. “I’m only 4. I can’t be in jail.”

“You listen,” Georgia demanded, running over to Eli and pushing him down. Eli frowned as he jumped up to his feet, about to push Georgia back but Brax stepped in, lifting Georgia into his arms.

“Don’t you start trouble,” Brax told his daughter. “If he’s not going to do as he is told we’ll just leave him be,” Brax exhaled, not knowing what else to do with the boy, Eli clearly not about to accept his punishment, discipline clearly not something the boy was used to. “We’ll finish our game without him because only well behaved children get to play games in this house.” Brax said, walking over to the coffee table where the boys were.

“But I’m playing.” Eli frowned.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “You can’t play nice.”

“Miss Charlie,” Eli ran over to her, glancing up with his big green eyes all wide. “Please let me play.”

“Sorry mate. Not my decision.” Charlie exhaled, knowing the boy needed to face his punishment of a time out. It wasn’t right he could hit Kobe and just get to continue playing like nothing was wrong. “You want to play you need to go do your time-out on the naughty spot first.”

“I won’t,” Eli shook his head. “I won’t sit there.” Charlie gave a little shrug before walking over to the coffee table, sitting down in between her sons to play with her kids and Brax. Eli watched them, his eyebrows furrowing as he sat on the floor, folding his arms across his chest as if staging protest at doing his time out.

seventy-five

Bianca and Kaya walked back into the house, Heath smiling upon their return. “Hey, nice to have you ladies home,” Bianca leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Heath’s lips before letting go of the shopping bags and sitting on the couch next to him. “Looks like you have done more than just shopping for a dress hmm?” Heath turned to face Kaya, who was nodding her head.

“It’s all Christmas stuff.” Kaya told him.

“I see,” Heath exhaled. “Well are you going to let me see this dress then?” Heath wondered, looking into one of the bags.

“No,” Kaya squealed, resulting in Heath giving a little jump in fright. “You can’t see it until the dance.” Kaya told him.

“Of course, sorry,” Heath said. “Best go put it away so I don’t sneak a peak, huh?” Heath said and Kaya nodded as she jumped down from the couch, picking up the bag her dress was in and running off to her bedroom. “Fun day?” Heath said, looking back to his girlfriend.

“Ahh,” Bianca sighed, her head shaking. “It only took us 6 different shops, trying on about 20 dresses to get the perfect one. Which by the way was the first dress she tried on in the first shop.”

Heath stifled a laugh. “I’ll leave the shopping days as mother daughter time then, shall I?” Heath said and Bianca shook her head.

“You get to come next time,” Bianca told him. “And I can see by the look on your face you are so excited about that.” Bianca grinned as she pinched his cheek.

“Hey as long as I get to be with my two favourite girls in the world then I’m happy.” Heath said before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on Bianca’s lips. Bianca smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other.

“That kid puts me off wanting another.” Charlie said as she walked into the living room, taking a seat on the couch next to her husband.

“But our kid won’t be a spoilt little brat,” Brax put his hand on Charlie’s stomach, rubbing it gently. “Or well not as much as him.” Brax said, knowing that they would sometimes spoil the kids.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “So anyways, Leah text me while I was reading the boys their story,” Charlie exhaled. “She’s asked me and Bianca over for drinks and a catch-up Friday night.”

Brax looked a little confused. “Are you asking me for permission?” Brax questioned.

“No. I’m just telling you that on Friday night I’ll be going to Leah’s.” Charlie informed him.

“I dunno I dunno,” Brax shook his head. “A night out? A night away from me and the kiddies?” Brax questioned. “Not sure you deserve that really,” Brax gave a cheeky grin and Charlie slapped his chest. “Ouch.” Brax rubbed over where she hit him.

“C’mon you get to watch a Disney film and eat popcorn and lollies with the kids while I get to go to my friend’s house and drink wine and have adult conversations. Sounds like a pretty fair deal, right?” Charlie stared at her husband, a cheeky grin etching on her face.

“You go enjoy a night out.” Brax tucked her hair behind her ear.

“It’s not really a night out,” Charlie told him. “It’s just a couple of drinks at Leah’s. We’ll probably moan about our useless men.” Charlie teased.

“I think you’ll find it very hard to moan about your husband,” Brax exhaled. “I hear he is far from useless. Quiet a catch, actually.”

“Yeah,” Charlie snorted. “You’ve heard wrong.”

“Oi,” Brax poked Charlie’s side, resulting in her giving a girly squeal. “Behave or I’ll not let you go.”

Charlie gave a little pout. “You wouldn’t be that mean.” Charlie murmured before she leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Wait and see,” Brax joked. “But try not to drink too much, yeah?” Brax suggested. “We are trying.” Brax played with her hair as he spoke.

“Yeah, trying,” Charlie emphasised. “Let me tell you a lot of kiddies would have been conceived on a drunken night of passion.” Charlie told him.

“Ah so you are planning a drunken night of passion on your return, are you?” Brax questioned, his eyebrows raising. “Because that’s something I’d probably be up for. Just as long as we don’t call the kid Chardonnay or Merlot.” Brax chuckled.

“It’s a pretty safe bet that we won’t.” Charlie laughed as she leaned up and once again kissed her husband.

Ruby and Evan were at the beach, Ruby staring out to the ocean. “You okay?” Evan questioned. He waited a while but got no reply. “Rubes,” Evan raised his voice a little. “Rubes,” Evan said. “Earth to Rubes,” Evan said. “Ruby.” Evan nudged her arm.

Ruby gave a little jump in fright. “What, sorry?” Ruby looked round to him.

“You alright?” Evan questioned. “You look a bit lost.”

“I’m fine,” Ruby exhaled. “It’s just...Dex would have been 21 today.” Ruby told him, picking up a clump of sand and letting it fall through the gaps of her fingers.

“I’m sorry,” Evan spoke softly. “If you want to go home or go out to his grave or....you know I’d understand.”

“I was there this morning,” Ruby told him. “And I don’t want to be alone now so....I want to be here with you.” Ruby exhaled.

“Well I am right here.” Evan smiled, moving a little closer to her and wrapping his arm around her, Ruby leaning against his chest. He placed a soft kiss on the top of her head.

“I know,” Ruby looked to him with a smile on her face, glad she had Evan. She looked into his green eyes, smiling at their beauty. He had the loveliest eyes. Her smile grew larger as she lightly rubbed his cheek. “I love you. You know that, right?”

“I do,” Evan grinned. “And I love you too. So so much.” Evan placed a kiss on her temple.

After a moment of silence, Ruby spoke. “Evan?” Ruby questioned tentatively. “Do you think I...do you think that I should surf again?” Ruby hadn’t surfed since that day Dexter drowned. She blamed her surfing on the fact that her boyfriend lost his life.

“Do you want to surf?” Evan tried to sound casually. He would love it if Ruby went out into the surf with him, but of course it was entirely her choice to make.

“I....” Ruby shrugged. “Yeah but I....” Ruby pursed her lips. “Dex died because I got in trouble in the surf and I....I dunno, does that make me....” Ruby shrugged again as she exhaled. “What would he think if I just went back out there like nothing happened?”

“Well that not exactly the case is it?” Evan questioned. “You’ve waited over a year since his passing,” Evan spoke tentatively. “And not that I had the pleasure of knowing Dexter but I’m sure he wouldn’t want you to stop doing anything that you loved because of him.”

Ruby was silent for a moment, looking down to the sand as her lips pursed. “You’re right,” Ruby took a deep breath before looking beyond Evan to his board. “But I’ll probably be a bit rusty,” Ruby said. “Uhm...maybe you could give me some recaps?”

“Of course I could.” Evan said and Ruby smiled at him as she stood up, wiping the sand down from her bottom.

“C’mon then.” Ruby gestured for him to get up.

“Now?” Evan was a little surprised as he stood to his feet.

“Well why not?” Ruby questioned before taking another deep breath at the thought of going back into the surf.

Thank you for the comments.

seventy-six

“Hey sweetie,” Charlie smiled as Ruby walked into the kitchen. “How was your day?” Ruby walked over to her mother, her eyes blurring over. She just made it in front of her as the tears burst out of her eyes. “Hey,” Charlie rubbed the back of her head as she held her in the embrace. “It’s alright. Let it out.” Charlie of course knew it was Dexter’s birthday but she hadn’t said anything to Ruby, letting her daughter deal with the day how she wanted.

“I surfed,” Ruby sniffed back. “I had such a good time but now I feel guilty for having a good time because me surfing is how Dex died.”

“Don’t feel guilty for having fun,” Charlie told her daughter, Ruby staying in the much needed hug from her mother. “The last thing Dexter would have wanted was for you to stop doing anything you loved.” Charlie told her.

“Even if it was with another man?” Ruby squeaked.

“Of course,” Charlie told her daughter. “He’d want you to be happy.”

“Mmmm,” Ruby nodded as she pulled back from the embrace. “I know. I know he would,” Ruby sniffed. “It’s awfully quiet in here,” Ruby said as Charlie wiped her hands over her daughter’s cheeks, removing her tears. “Where is everyone?”

“Brax has taken them to the park.” Charlie answered.

“Eli too or is he home now?” Ruby questioned.

“He’s still here,” Charlie replied. “His mum has to stay in hospital another night.”

“Bet everyone’s pleased about that.” Ruby murmured.

“Rubes,” Charlie exhaled as Ruby cocked her head. “I know he’s not the easiest child but remember he is only 4 and he’s in a strange house with strange people.” Charlie exhaled.

“Kobe was once in a strange house with strange people,” Ruby replied. “He didn’t act like a spoilt little brat.”

“Because he had never been a spoilt little brat,” Charlie argued. “He was scared. Petrified of Brax and at the thought someone would hurt him if he made the slightest move without permission. He was s jumpy for weeks.”

“I guess,” Ruby exhaled. “But still, don’t tell me you are glad Eli is staying longer. He’s difficult.”

“Maybe so but you don’t need to be rude about him,” Charlie said. “He’s just a defenceless little kid.”

“Fair enough,” Ruby mumbled. “Anyways, I’m going to have a little lie down,” Ruby pointed out of the room. “Let you get on.” Ruby said before she left the kitchen, going up the stairs to her bedroom.

April was sitting on the chair in the hospital room, her baby son cuddled into her arms. It was the first time Erin said he was doing well enough to be allowed to be held. “Only me,” April looked up briefly as the door opened, smiling as Olive had come to visit her great-grandson. “He looks a lot better today.”

“Yeah,” April sounded relieved. “Erin reckons he’ll only be here a couple more days,” April sounded pleased. “They’re going to do another X-Ray on him later to see the reduction in fluid on the lungs.”

“Well hopefully the results are what we want,” Olive said, bending down at lightly rubbing Leo’s forehead. She would love to hold him and give him a hug but knew that right now mummy time with April was more important. “You here alone?” Olive wondered.

“Jay took Finn to the canteen for a snack,” April answered, her gaze never leaving her son. “Obviously I want him around but I....” April pursed her lips. “I don’t like him being here too long. You know he’s young too and I don’t want him catching anything from Leo or him giving Leo anything.”

“It’s not like Finn is sick though, is he?” Olive wondered.

“No,” April exhaled. “But I already have one son in hospital. I don’t need anymore.” April murmured and Olive gave a little nod, of course understanding April’s worry.

“So, you and James on better terms now?” Olive questioned, taking a seat on the chair next to April.

“Yeah we’re fine,” April spoke quietly; her finger lightly brushing Leo’s little hand. “This guy is the most important thing in all of this, so...you know,” April pursed her lips. “And he’s here for us now so that’s what matters, right?”

“Yes,” Olive answered. “Listen, how would you like it if I took Finn for the night?” Olive questioned. “Give you and James some time alone.”

“We don’t really need time alone,” April told her. “Thanks for the offer but we’re fine.”

“Okay,” Olive exhaled. “We’ll if you change your mind you can let me know,” Olive told her. “Can always come round for dinner and then can leave with or without Finn,” Olive suggested. “You’ve not been in a while.” It had only been a few weeks but when she was used to them being there for dinner every Saturday, not having them come was strange Them having not been there since before Leo was born, and now he was almost 3 weeks old.

“It’s not a Saturday though.” April answered.

Olive gave a little laugh. “It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to just come on Saturdays.”

“I know. I just meant,” April pursed her lips. “Why don’t we wait a few more days till Saturday?” April said. “Leo will most hopefully be home by then anyways and he can come see Great grandma’s house.”

“Saturday it is then.” Olive exhaled, watching April as her gaze never once left her son, hoping for her sake that the boy was indeed home by then.

Kaya was helping her mother wrap some Christmas presents, Christmas day being only 9 days away. “How do you get these to Santa?” Kaya questioned as she took some sellotape from the holder and put it onto the present.

“These aren’t from Santa,” Bianca told her daughter. “They are from me, Heath and you to give to Georgia.” Bianca told her daughter, folding the other end of the parcel as Kaya pulled at more sellotape.

“Oh,” Kaya said. “What about Daniel and Kobe and Ruby?”

“Yeah, they’ve got presents too,” Bianca pointed to the bags close by to her. “We are going to wrap them up next.”

“I like wrapping things,” Kaya said as Bianca wrote a label before sticking it to the parcel. “What did you get for Heath?”

“You’ll need to wait till Christmas day to find out,” Bianca told her daughter. “You’ll tell him if I tell you.”

Kaya gave a little giggle, not about to disagree with her mother. “Well it’s just so hard to keep secrets,” Kaya exhaled. “It’s better when people know things.”

Bianca laughed as she moved the parcel to one side and took out the clothes, the book on sea creatures and the pirates dress up outfit that she’d got for Kobe. “Well that’s true I guess,” Bianca exhaled. “Anyways we’ll get this wrapping up finished then you we can get the Christmas tree out and decorate it, huh?”

“What about Heath?” Kaya wondered. “He should decorate it with us too.”

“Well he should be back from work soon,” Bianca told her daughter. “So he can help when he gets back.”

“Cool.” Kaya looked excited for putting the tree up and even more so that she wouldn’t only be doing it with her mum this year, but also with Heath.

Thank you Kristen.

seventy-seven

Charlie put the glass back on the coffee table before standing up, looking to her friends. “Anyone else need a refill?” Charlie questioned, Charlie, Bianca being at Leah’s house, it being Friday night.

“God no,” Leah had only had about two drinks of her wine. “You drank that glass like it was the last ever glass of wine in the world.”

Charlie exhaled. “Brax isn’t letting me drink alcohol right now.”

“Why?” Leah wondered before her eyes widened as she glanced down to her friend stomach. “Oh my God are you pregnant?” It was the only reason Leah could think Brax wouldn’t want her drinking for.

“Trying.” Bianca answered on behalf of Charlie.

“How do you know?” Charlie looked to her friend, a little shocked.

“Heath mentioned it,” Bianca answered before taking a drink of her wine, her too nowhere near needing a top up. “It’s awesome news though.”

“Bloody Brax.” Charlie sighed, not happy he’d told Heath they were trying.

“You don’t sound happy about that?” Leah questioned.

“Well it’s not like I am pregnant yet.” Charlie sighed again, her head shaking a little.

“Aw but it’s nice news though,” Leah told her friend. “I wasn’t sure if you’d try again after losing the twins so it’s nice that it’s happening,” Leah smiled. “I’d love to see Georgia as a big sister,” Leah chuckled. “Wouldn’t want to upset her little brother or sister.”

“Doesn’t have to be little,” Bianca added. “If anyone upsets Kobe or Daniel they’d be sure to face the wrath of Georgia.”

Charlie gave a little chuckle as she thought about her youngest daughter. “But no, I mean, it’s good for Brax. He really wants this and I....I do. It’d be nice to have another baby but right now fear is plaguing my mind,” Charlie told her friends. “I’d rather Brax hadn’t told people.”

“Aw c’mon it’s not like he told Colleen,” Bianca laughed. “He told his brother. And then okay his brother told me but it’s only me and Heath who know. And now Leah.” Bianca said, looking to her other friend.

“And it’s not like trying for a baby is a bad thing.” Leah said picking her glass up to take another drink.

“I know but,” Charlie pursed her lips. “After what happened last time and.....it adds pressure when people know you are trying. They keep asking if it’s happened yet.”

“Well until we are told otherwise we’ll assume you are not pregnant.” Bianca told her friend.

Charlie exhaled lightly. “I’m going to get another glass of wine.” Charlie said, walking through to the kitchen and opening the fridge, taking out the bottle of white that was chilling. She poured herself a decent sized glass before putting the bottle back in the fridge and walking back through to join her friends, seeing little Poppy had come through to the room, her bed hair all sticking up on end.

“Did you bring Georgia?” Poppy questioned.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “She’s at home with her daddy and brothers.”

“Doing what?” Poppy questioned.

“She’s probably in bed by now,” Charlie answered. “Just like you should be huh?” Charlie said, ruffling Poppy’s curls.

“I wanna play with mummy and her friends.” Poppy answered.

“We aren’t playing,” Bianca told her. “We are just talking. It would be boring for you.” Bianca said, Poppy screwing her face up a little.

“You got juice,” Poppy said, pointing to the glasses on wine on the table. “I’m thirsty.” Poppy said, reaching for a glass.

“You don’t get to drink that,” Leah moved the glass from her reach before standing up, Poppy being held in her arms. “Say goodnight. You are going back to bed.”

“Goodnight.” Poppy spoke quietly as she frowned. Clearly not happy she didn’t get to stay up.

“Night Pops.” Charlie and Bianca smiled at the girl as Leah took her back through to her bed.

James walked back into the house and walked up the stairs, finding April in Finn’s room. Finn was fast asleep, hugging his wallaby teddy close to him. April put the book she’d just finished reading him back on the shelf as she rubbed the side of her sons head, placing a soft kiss on his temple. “Where have you been?” April questioned.

“I told you, I had an appointment.” James told her, April walking out the bedroom.

“Where?” April wondered.

“I know you are still a little mad with me, and rightly so, so I just wanted to show you how much you and the boys mean to me.” James walked into their bedroom, April following after him.

“Right,” April looked rather confused as James turned around to face her. “So, how have you done that?” April questioned, watching James as he took off his t-shirt. April saw the gauze on his chest and her eyes immediately widened with worry. “Jay, what’s happened?” April stepped forward, her hand gently touching over to gauze.

“This is what I’ve done to show you how much you and the boys mean to me.” James told her, pulling the gauze from his chest.

“You got tattoos?” April’s voice raised as she looked to the black italic writing on James’ chest, just under his peck where it said April. Directly underneath that it said Finn and underneath Finn was written Leo. “Tattoos? Seriously Jay, you thought that would make me happy?”

“Well it shows how much I love you and the boys.” James explained, glancing down to his new tattoos.

“That is so tacky,” April exhaled. “You know I don’t like name tattoos,” April told him. “Especially of your partner. Kids, okay they’re a little more acceptable but I still don’t like them.” April screwed her face up as she looked at the new tattoos on her fiancé.

“Well I like them,” James sighed, a little upset that April didn’t appreciate his efforts. “I love you and the boys so much and I want everyone to know.” James exhaled.

April shook her head lightly. “And you think you needed to get our names tattooed to yourself to prove that?” April wondered.

James gave a little shrug. “It’s just one of the many ways I want to prove my love to you.”

“Well how about making the next one not having graffiti on your body.” April scrunched her face.

“At least I’m only getting tattoos that mean something to me,” James sighed. “The dove and heart is for my mum then the names of you lot,” James said. “Unlike my mate Dylan who seems to get a different tattoo every other week just because.”

“I don’t care what Dylan does,” April retorted. “Just....I don’t need you permanently marking your body to prove yourself to me,” April spoke softly. “I know you love me and the boys despite how I may have been with you this last week.”

“Good because I do. So so much, hun.” James said, moving closer to April and wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her in for a kiss.

Brax heard a banging from outside, before he got up and walked over to the door. He heard Charlie singing and gave a little chuckle before the opened the door, finding his wife still trying to get a key into the door. “Doors open.” Brax laughed as he steadied his wife.

“Good,” Charlie’s eyes rolled around. “Because the key didn’t work.” Charlie put her hand onto Brax’s chest, the key hitting against him. She moved her hand away as the key fell to the floor.

“That’s because it’s the key to your car,” Brax bent down and picked the key up, leaving it on the table in the hall. “You didn’t drive home in that state did you?” Brax questioned, keeping a hold of his wife as she swayed a little.

“No,” Charlie whispered as she shook her head. “I had a little too much wine,” Charlie giggled. “Shhhh,” Charlie put her hand on Brax’s mouth to quieten him, even though she was doing the talking. “Leah’s.... at my cars.....house,” Charlie slurred. “I mean...my car is with Leah.” Charlie screwed her face up as she swallowed.

“Good night then?” Brax laughed as he lead Charlie down the hall towards the stairs.

“Yes. Good. Good indeed,” Charlie slurred before she got a burst of energy, breaking free from Brax’s grasp as she ran up the stairs, taking two at a time. She got about half way up before she tripped, clattering down on the stairs as she started to laugh. “Shhh,” Charlie shushed Brax again, her index finger going on his lips as he helped her up. “You’ll wake the children.”

“Oh I’ll wake the children?” Brax cocked his head to the side as he helped Charlie up the rest of the stairs before leading her into their bedroom.

“Mmmm,” Charlie nodded as he turned to face her husband. “Now I do believe,” Charlie wobbled a little before putting her hand onto Brax’s chest, steadying herself. “We need to get baby making.”

“Oh really?” Brax raised his eyebrows. “So you’re little friend has left for the month?” Brax questioned.

“She left yesterday,” Charlie nodded as she removed Brax’s t-shirt from his body, throwing it to the floor. Brax and Charlie were never intimate when she was on her period, neither of them enjoying engaging in period sex. “So, I think it’s time we got your little friend out to play.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as her hand slid down his chest before going under the rim of his shorts then immediately under his boxers and cupping him as their lips crashed together, their tongues immediately finding each other’s mouths and they made their way over to the bed.

Thanks

Seventy-eight

Although they were only supposed to have Eli till the Wednesday, he was still with them even though it was now Saturday. Complications with his mum’s surgery had led her to needing a longer hospital stay. Brax had Kobe, Eli and Georgia in the swimming pool as their house while Daniel had accompanied Charlie to the supermarket, the house very low on groceries. Daniel was pushing the trolley, Charlie putting everything they needed into it. She picked up the 12 pack of tropical fruit flavoured juice boxes and put them into the trolley. “This is fun,” Daniel smiled. “I like it.”

“What?” Charlie looked a little confused. “You enjoy grocery shopping?”

“Yeah,” Daniel answered. “Well no,” Daniel shook his head. “I like that it’s just me and you doing something,” Daniel told his mother as she put a carton of apple juice and one of orange juice into the trolley before reaching for the coca cola, putting in a bottle. “It’s never me and you anymore.”

“You miss that, do you?” Charlie questioned, running her hand through Daniel’s hair.

“Uh-huh,” Daniel nodded as he pushed the trolley, going around to the next aisle. “It was always just me and you and well sometimes Ruby but mostly just me and you then we got daddy then Georgia and now Kobe and Eli is even still here,” Daniel sighed. “That’s too many people.”

“Aw buddy but it’s nice to have a big family is it not?” Charlie questioned. “You got lots of people to play with and have fun with and you and Kobe get on so well. I thought you loved having a brother.”

“Well yes,” Daniel exhaled. “But sometimes I miss it being only me and you.” Daniel spoke quietly, his head bowing.

“Well I am sure that we can have some special days that’s just me and you,” Charlie told her son, feeling a little sad that she didn’t pick up on this. “We can go to the skate park or I could take you to the pool with the flumes in Yabbie Creek or we can go to the movies.”

“Or the zoo or aquarium?” Daniel questioned.

“Sure,” Charlie gave a little nod as she put a packet of spaghetti into the trolley. Her hand unintentionally brushed over her stomach as her lips pursed, wondering now how Daniel would take the news of another sibling. “How long have you been feeling like this?”

“Dunno,” Daniel shrugged. “And it’s not always because I love Dad and Ruby and Kobe and Georgia but sometimes it’s so loud and busy and I just want you all to myself,” Daniel gave a little pout. “Is that bad?”

“For wanting some alone time with your mum?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod. “No it’s not buddy,” Charlie told him, rubbing his back as she spoke. “How about after shopping we stop off at the diner on the way home and we can get a milkshake and a slice of cake, just the two of us?”

Daniel’s little face lit up as he nodded his head. “I’d like that.” Daniel answered.

“Well then it’s a date.” Charlie said, pulling Daniel into a hug as she kissed the top of his head.

One week after being in hospital, Leo got given the all clear and was allowed to go home much to the relief of both April and James. Finn was also very pleased, dancing around the hospital room as April dressed him as James signed the discharge papers. “I’m going to kiss him and give him cuddles all the day,” Finn shrieked. “Tell him stories.”

“What kind of stories you going to tell him little dude?” James questioned, looking down to Finn who was dancing excitedly by April, trying to see his brother.

“Don’t know yet,” Finn shrugged. “No no,” Finn shook his head. “You will daddy. You tell me and Leo ones, okay?”

“Well we are going to Gamma’s so maybe she would like to cuddle up with you and little bro and tell you a story huh?” James suggested.

“Oh yes,” Finn jumped in excitement. “Gamma tells good ones. We go now. C’mon.” Finn pushed on April’s legs, wanting to go to his Gamma’s.

“Watch buddy,” April ran her hand over his head before she picked up Leo, cuddling the boy close to her, happy to get a proper cuddle now he was free of his tubes. She placed a soft kiss on his head before looking round to James. “You ready.”

“Yeah.” James picked up the nappy bag, putting it over his shoulder before he left the room, Finn running out after him, then April with Leo after.

“Can I carry him mummy?” Finn jumped around, wanting to take his little brother.

“No,” April answered. “Mummy needs to carry him out of the hospital,” April told her son, Finn frowning at the news. “You can maybe give him a cuddle at Gamma’s.”

“Just maybe?” James questioned.

“Well we don’t want Leo getting sick again, do we?” April questioned.

“What so no one is allowed to hold him now?” James gave a little laugh of disbelief as they walked out of the hospital, James taking Finn’s hand as they walked through the car park.

“No I didn’t say that,” April said. “I’m just going to be more careful about who gets to hold him.” April told her fiancé. James exhaled lightly, understanding her worry to an extent and knew she would relax more in time.

“Can I get some make-up?” Kaya questioned turning to face her mother, Bianca having just put her hair up nicely.

“No, you don’t need make-up,” Bianca told her daughter. “You are beautiful already.”

Kaya screwed her face up. “Just a little.” Kaya clasped her hands together, like she was praying.

Bianca raised her eyebrows as she opened her top drawer, taking out her make-up bag. She unzipped it and took out some lip gloss, putting it onto Kaya’s lips. “That’s all you need.” Bianca rubbed her daughter’s cheek as she pouted.

“Eeee I’m all ready to go,” Kaya twirled around, her purple dress with a purple bow tied at the back around her fanning out before she curtseyed. “Where’s Heath?” Kaya wondered, running out of Bianca’s room and into the living room. “Heath...Heath....Heath,” Kaya growled when he was nowhere to be seen. “Mum,” Kaya glared up at her. “Where is he?”

Bianca gave a little shrug. “I don’t know darling,” Bianca answered, just as the doorbell rang. “Go get the door.” Bianca told her daughter, a little smile etching on her face.

“Mum,” Kaya gasped. “I can’t get the door. I need to find my Heath so we can go to the daddy daughter dance.”

“Just get the door.” Bianca lightly pushed on Kaya’s shoulder, Kaya sighing before she ran over to the door opening it to find Heath standing at the other side, dressed in smart black trousers and a purple shirt, matching in nicely with the colour of Kaya’s dress.

“Oh Heath.” Kaya blushed as he bent down to her level and handed her a bunch of flowers.

“You look lovely, Miss Scott,” Heath told her, Kaya blushing even more as she took the flowers into her hands. “Are you ready to accompany me to this dance?”

“I’m ready,” Kaya grinned turning to face Bianca, Bianca giving a smile at her daughter. “Look mummy he got me flowers.” Kaya beamed as she ran over to Bianca.

“Oh wow they are lovely huh?” Bianca took the flowers from her daughter. “I’ll put them in a vase for you yeah?” Bianca said and Kaya nodded before running back over to the door, where Heath was waiting on her.

“You have her back at a reasonable hour.” Bianca joked and Heath chuckled.

“Of course mam.” Heath gave her a curt nod as Kaya took his hand in hers.

“Bye mummy.” Kaya waved to her mother.

“Bye sweetheart. You have fun.” Bianca said and Kaya nodded before leaving with house with Heath to go to her dance, Bianca still smiling as she watched them walking down the path towards the car, Kaya skipping in excitement for her evening.

seventy-nine

Charlie walked down the stairs after putting Georgia to bed. The boys were playing some imaginary pirate type game, running around with pirate hats on and swords in their hands. “Miss Charlie.” Eli ran over to her as she was in the cupboard in the hallway, going to get the ironing board out, the rather large pile of clothes having been ignored for long enough.

“You okay bud?” Charlie could see he looked like he was going to cry.

“I miss my mummy,” Eli told her. “Can I go home now please?” Eli questioned, Charlie feeling her heart tug as she bent down to his level.

“Mummy needs to stay in hospital until she is well enough to go home,” Charlie rubbed his arm. “We don’t want her coming home to soon, do we?” Charlie questioned. “That wouldn’t be good for anyone, would it?”

Eli sucked in his bottom lip as he scratched the side of his head, looking like he was considering what Charlie had said. “No.” Eli squeaked after a lengthy pause.

“And Tanya said you are more than likely going to get to go home tomorrow so it’s only one more sleep.” Charlie told the boy, of course feeling sorry for him. He was only 4 and had been living with strangers for almost a week now, there was no wonder he was acting out, really.

“Can we make her a cake?” Eli wondered. “Because she is better so she gets a cake.”

“Sure we can bake her a cake,” Charlie told him, knowing the ironing was not going to be done that day. “What kind does she like best?”

“Uhm.....vallina,” Eli answered, a little smile etching on Charlie’s face at the boys mispronunciation. “With pink strawberry jam in the middle and uhm....pink icing on top and it can say Terese cos thats her name and uhm......no,” Eli gave a little jump. “I missed you mummy.”

“Vanilla cake with strawberry jam and pink incing it is.” Charlie told him, Eli giving a grin.

“And I missed you mummy on top.” Eli added, making sure Charlie wouldn’t forget.

“Of course,” Charlie said, feeling glad that she’d done the shopping that morning so they actually had stuff so they could bake the cake. “You want to go ask Daniel and Kobe to help?”

“No,” Eli’s tone made Charlie jump. “Just me an you.”

“Okay,” Charlie nodded. “Into the kitchen then.” Charlie said and Eli ran off into the kitchen, Charlie following after him so they could make a cake for his mother.

Kaya was having a glass of orange juice, needed a break from all the dancing. Heath to was rather pleased to have stopped with the dancing for a while and given it was an alcohol free dance, he too was having some orange juice. “You’re such a good dancer cupcake.” Heath said as he reached for a handful of chips.

“Yes,” Kaya answered. “You know I do ballet.”

“I know,” Heath said. “But you’re not exactly doing ballet here, are you?” Heath questioned and Kaya shook her head in response. “So, you are good at other kinds of dancing too.”

“Dancing is fun,” Kaya said. “I like to sing too. I want to be a singer like Katy Perry when I am older.”

“Oh,” Heath raised his eyebrows. He’d heard Kaya singing before and there was no doubting that she could sing, obviously a talent she’d inherited from her father. “Well you are a very talented little singer.” Heath pinched her cheek.

“Yeah,” Kaya grinned. “You can’t sing though.”

“Oh thanks.” Heath sounded a little offended.

Kaya giggled. “Mummy can’t sing either but she says my real daddy is a singer,” Kaya said, before exhaling, Heath seeing she looked a little sad. “He doesn’t want me.”

“Hey cupcake,” Heath bent down to Kaya level as rubbed her upper arms. “If he doesn’t want to know a sweet little girl like you then he’s the most stupid idiot on the planet,” Heath said and Kaya gave a little giggle, Heath once again pinching her cheek. “Beside, you don’t need him because you’ve already got the best person in the world being here for you instead.” Heath said watching as Kaya screwed her face up, looking a little confused.

“Oh you mean my mummy?” Kaya wondered. “She is the best ever.” Kaya agreed with Heath’s statement.

“Well no, I was talking about me.” Heath chuckled.

Kaya once again screwed her face up. “But Heath, my mummy is the best person in the world,” Kaya told him. “You’re uhm.....well after Aunty April, so uhm....maybe my third best person in the world to me.”

“Third best huh?” Heath exhaled. “I guess that’s pretty good.” Heath smiled, not quiet believing he could love a child so much that wasn’t his own.

“Yeah cos the world is pretty big.” Kaya told him and Heath once again laughed as he ruffled her hair.

“Well how about you go back to dancing with the third best person to you in the world?” Heath questioned and Kaya nodded as she put her juice cup up on the table and ran over to the dance floor, Heath watching her for a moment, a rather proud smile etched on his face before he walked to join her again.

“Babe,” Brax lightly rubbed Charlie’s shoulder. “Baby you still awake?” Brax had just gotten home from work, finding Charlie already in bed.

“I am now,” Charlie’s eyes fluttered open before she looked to the digital clock on her bedside table. “You are home late tonight.”

“Hen party was in,” Brax told her. “I just came back to tell you that me and the maid of honour really hit it off and we are running off to Fiji together.”

“Okay,” Charlie whispered. “Send the kids a postcard every now and then,” Charlie mumbled before she turned around in the bed, pulling the sheet up a little. “Your passport is in the bottom drawer.” Charlie yawned and Brax gave a little chuckle.

“And here’s me thinking you would be devastated.” Brax said as he climbed over Charlie and lay down on top of the bed, laying sideways, smiling at his wife.

“I’ll get over it in a day or two.” Charlie murmured.

Brax pouted sadly. “Okay so I know I started it but I don’t like this game anymore,” Brax said, brushing his hand softly over Charlie’s hair. “Maybe we should start something I’d enjoy,” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively as he snuggled closer to his wife, placing a soft kiss on her lips. “Baby’s not going to make itself.”

“Mmm,” Charlie moaned as he kissed her. “I uhm, wait,” Charlie pulled back. “I wanted to talk to you about that, actually.” Charlie sat up in the bed, reaching over and putting the side light on, both her and Brax squinting their eyes at the little bit of light that appeared in the room.

“You’re pregnant?” Brax took a guess as he sat up beside her, sounding excited at his question.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s just something Daniel said today,” Charlie pursed her lips. “He eh....he seems to like the family as it is and I don’t think he’d appreciate another sibling.”

“So, what?” Brax questioned. “You are going to let your 9 year old dictate whether or not you can have another child?”

“Well no,” Charlie answered. “But I think maybe we should talk with the kids,” Charlie exhaled. “A new baby doesn’t just affect our lives,” Charlie told him, her hand going onto his thigh. “I don’t want them feeling like we needed another baby because we didn’t love them enough.”

“Well that’s just crazy,” Brax sighed. “The kids know how much we love them and having another baby wouldn’t change that one bit,” Brax said. “And he was stoked when Georgia was born and gets on like a house on fire with Kobe. They really are the best of brothers.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “And I’m not saying that this means we can’t have a baby, I just...I want to talk to them about the idea of a new baby.” Charlie pulled at a loose thread on the sheet as she spoke.

Brax sighed loudly as he held his hands to the side. “I...I don’t really see a point in it if I am being honest. You said it won’t change your mind so why bother?” Brax questioned. “And Georgia will only get impatient if you tell her we are going to be having a baby one day. She’s not even 3 yet so the 9 months pregnancy plus more for trying.....it’s going to be ages for her.”

“Well,” Charlie pursed her lips. “Maybe I could just talk to the boys,” Charlie answered. “We have to take Kobe into consideration too.”

Brax sighed. “Look, I don’t want you to, but at the end of the day, I can’t stop you, so just do whatever you want.” Brax shook his head a little.

“Well you had no problems telling Heath we were trying,” Charlie sighed. “Why is telling Daniel any different?”

“Because you don’t just want to tell him,” Brax answered. “It’s like you need his permission before you’ll continue trying.”

“No, I didn’t mean it like that. I just want to -”

“Goodnight Charlie.” Brax said before he turned away from her and let out a big sigh. Charlie exhaled lightly before switching off the side light and laying back down to sleep

Thanks for the comments. :)

eighty

Brax walked into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around Charlie from behind as she put her sandwiches into the tupperware box. “If you want to talk to Daniel then you should,” Brax spoke into her neck, Charlie feeling his breath on her. “He’s your little boy and his happiness is very important.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she turned to face him. “He’s a great big brother,” Charlie exhaled. “And he’ll be great with this new baby too,” Charlie said, her hand brushing over her stomach. “I don’t have to talk to him,” Charlie exhaled. “At least not until I am pregnant. And he’s still going to have like 6 months to get used to the idea,” Charlie pursed her lips. “Because you know I could tell him we are talking about it but it could take a while to happen and I -”

“What makes you think it’ll take a while?” Brax questioned.

“I dunno, I....” Charlie shrugged. “I am getting older and –”

“Oh yeah 34 is so over the hill, isn’t it?” Brax murmured. “Charlie you are not too old to be having kids. It’s going to happen,” Brax rested his hand on her stomach as he spoke. “You know I can’t wait to see Georgia as a big sister,” Brax grinned. “She’s going to be great. And she’s fierce like her mother so no-one will cross that baby.”

“Oi.” Charlie slapped Brax’s side and Brax laughed before placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips, Charlie smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around Brax’s neck.

“Eugh,” Charlie and Brax pulled back as they heard Ruby’s voice. “So I know this is your house and all but that is not something I need to see. Stick to the bedroom.” Charlie and Brax glanced at Ruby before looking back to each other, both of them with cheeky grins on their faces before they kissed again, Ruby knowing they were only doing it for her benefit. “Seriously,” Ruby scrunched her face up and Charlie laughed as she rested her forehead against Brax’s. “So, since when have you worked on a Sunday?” Ruby questioned, noting her mother was in her work uniform.

“I need to cover a shift,” Charlie answered, pulling away from her husband and putting an apple and an orange into her tupperware lunch box before closing the lid shut. “What you going to do with them today?” Charlie looked back to Brax.

“Well the furniture for Kobe’s room arrived yesterday so I thought I’d do that,” Brax answered. “Was hoping Ruby could keep them entertained.”

“Oh you were?” Ruby glanced at her stepfather as he nodded. “Yeah sure I can do something with them. Most probably means I am going to be spending the day in the pool.” Ruby stifled a laugh.

“Right well I need to get going,” Charlie said as she glanced at her watch. “Don’t let them sleep in too much longer.” Charlie said as she glanced up to the ceiling. “See you tonight.” Charlie picked up her lunch before placing a quick kiss on Brax’s lips before she left for work.

April, James and the boys were at Bianca’s house, everyone eating some brunch together. “I don’t get it,” Heath screwed his face up. “I mean...what is this?”

“Brunch,” April told him. “Too late for breakfast, too early for lunch so brunch. It’s brunch.” April took a drink of her juice before glancing to the pram where her son was sleeping.

“Jay,” Kaya patted James’ arm. “I was at a dance last night with Heath.”

“Oh yeah?” James smiled down to her. “Did you have fun?”

“The best, eh Heath?” Kaya grinned up at him as he nodded.

“Yep, just you and your number 3, huh?” Heath grinned as he saw a rather confused look on Bianca’s face. “I’m the third best person to her in the world.” Heath beamed.

“Well actually,” Kaya spoke up, her hand sort of going in the air. “I forgot my Nana Reen. So I think you are four,” Kaya told him, Heath looking a little disappointed. “Mummy, April, Nana Reen then you.”

“I see.” Heath exhaled.

“Hey,” James gasped. “What about your uncle James?” James teased. “And the little cousins.” James ruffled Finn’s hair, who was too busy concentrating at spreading some raspberry jam onto a croissant to be playing any attention to the conversation.

“Well,” Kaya scrunched her face as she scratched the side of her head. “You’re all special too but not like mummy, April, Irene and Heath.” Kaya told him, James giving a little nod, accepting her answer.

Bianca gave her daughter a smile before looking to Heath, the smile still on her face as she saw how lovingly he was looking at her daughter. She looked to the side as she heard a little noise coming from the pram, indicating Leo was awake. “I’ll get him,” Bianca shot up before April had the chance. “You want Auntie Bee cuddles, don’t you?”

“Wait,” April shouted so loudly that everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at her, Finn dropping the jam covered knife down onto his pale blue shorts. “Just....can you sanitise first please.” April pointed to the nappy bag and Bianca screwed her face up before she opened the bag and took out a bottle of hand sanitiser.

“Is this really necessary?” Bianca questioned, squeezing it onto her hand before rubbing it in.

“He just got out of hospital yesterday,” April answered. “He doesn’t need your germs all over him.”

“Fair enough.” Bianca raised her eyebrows before she picked her nephew up, the little boy cuddling into her as she walked back over to the seat at the kitchen table. She shared a glance with James who was trying to wipe off the jam from Finn’s shorts, seeing the look on his face and knowing for a while at least, April was going to be very over protective with her baby son.

Brax screwed the screw into the bed frame, building the bunk beds up for Kobe. “Hey dad, you want help?” Brax looked up to see Daniel into the room.

“Hey buddy,” Brax smiled at his son. “You can grab me another screw,” Brax pointed to the bag of screw close-by. Daniel sat down on the floor, handing Brax a screw. “You want to go out and play with the others?” Brax questioned. Ruby and Evan having Kobe, Eli and Georgia outside.

“We are playing soccer,” Daniel answered. “But I came in for the toilet so came to see you,” Daniel told him, watching as Brax tightened the screw. “Will Kobe be in here tonight?” Daniel wondered.

“Yeah probably could be,” Brax answered. “You getting sick of sharing your room?” Brax laughed.

“No,” Daniel shook his head. “But he’s really excited about getting his own room,” Daniel told him. “He’s never had his own room before.”

“Really?” Brax questioned. “I’m sure he had a room of his own when he lived with Brian and Jill.”

“Well yes,” Daniel exhaled. “But it wasn’t his room,” Daniel said. “This room is how he wants it and will have his toys and stuff and he can play and be messy and be a little boy.” Daniel told his father, Brax giving a little chuckle at Daniel’s words.

“I see,” Brax smiled. “But I hope not to messy. You kids know me and mummy don’t like you having messy rooms.”

“Dad,” Daniel sighed. “Georgia’s room is always a mess. She has her toys and dollies everywhere.”

“She does eh,” Brax laughed as he held his hand out and Daniel handed him another screw. “But that’s because she is like your mother. You can’t tell her what to do,” Brax joked but Daniel just glared at him, obviously not appreciating the joke. “I’m just kidding mate.” Brax said.

“It’s not funny.” Daniel exhaled.

“Sorry,” Brax murmured. “But hey, Georgia may be messy and cause a bit trouble from time to time you wouldn’t not want her as you little sister, would you?”

“Uh-uh.” Daniel shook his head.

“Wonder what she’d be like as a big sister, eh?” Brax spoke tentatively.

“She’d be good I think,” Daniel answered. “She loves to see baby Leo.”

“She does huh?” Brax exhaled. “What would you think?” Brax asked, stopping making up the bed for a moment.

“Of what?” Daniel wondered. “Georgia being a big sister?”

“Of you being a big brother again.” Brax questioned.

“Uhm,” Daniel shrugged. “It would be even more noisy,” Daniel scrunched his face. “But babies are cute sometimes and I liked helping with Georgia most of the time.”

“Just most of the time, eh?” Brax questioned and Daniel gave a little nod. “Right well let’s get back to getting this bed made up for Kobe, huh?” Brax said and Daniel nodded again as he handed Brax another screw.

Archived