Forever and Always

one hundred and one

Brax walked up the path before ringing the doorbell of the house. He heard footsteps before the door opened and Terese was standing at the other side, Eli peeking out from being her. “Hey, Darryl, come in.” Terese smiled as she opened the door further and Brax walked into the house.

“Alright mate?” Brax smiled down at Eli as he ruffled his hair.

“Uh-huh,” Eli nodded. “You come play cars?” Eli questioned.

“Maybe later bud,” Brax told him. “I need to fix up some stuff here for your mum first.” Brax said and Eli sighed before running off back to his bedroom.

“How are Charlie and the kids?” Terese questioned as they walked down the hall and into the kitchen.

“Eh yeah good,” Brax answered as he rubbed the back of his head. “The sink holding up?” Brax wondered as he gestured to the sink.

“It is,” Terese gave a thankful smile. “And Eli got his action figure back,” Terese laughed, the main problem with the sink clogging being one of Eli’s toys had somehow gotten down there. “Now just for the rest of the problems in this old place.” Terese sighed, the problems in the house seeming to be coming thick and fast.

“Ah it won’t take too long,” Brax answered. “So it was the clogged up guttering you wanted me to look at?”

“If you don’t mind,” Terese answered. “I know I could just get someone in for all this but well, I’m a single mother with a growing boy,” Terese exhaled. “Money is tight.”

“Mr Brax,” Eli said as he ran into the kitchen. “You see my new car?” Eli questioned, holding up the remote control car from Brax to see.

“Ah yeah that’s cool huh bud?” Brax said, thinking that it seems Terese had no problems spending all her money on her son.

“You’ll come play?” Eli gave him a sweet grin.

“I will,” Brax answered. “But I need to fix the guttering first.” Brax said again, Eli frowning, clearly not happy that Brax still wasn’t ready to play with him.

“You should have brought your boys or little girl,” Terese said as she put the kettle on. “They could have kept him company.”

“Ah they are at the park with Charlie, her mate and kids,” Brax answered. “I wish they were back at school already. They always have to be bloody doing something. Driving us crazy.”

“Aww you’ll be missing them when they do go back,” Terese said, taking to cups from the cupboard before walking over to the fridge to get the milk. “Eli is starting Kindy. I don’t really want him to go but it’s probably better for him to go and be with kids his own age.” Terese exhaled.

“I’m sure it will,” Brax answered. “Georgia has to go to day care a few days a week when Charlie and I are working at the same time and she loves it,” Brax said. “In fact she’s probably ready for school right now,” Brax laughed. “But anyways,” Brax exhaled, not wanting to waste all his day with Terese. He had to work that night and hoped to get some time in with Charlie and the kids before heading off. “I’ll get outside and get this looked at.” Brax said as Terese gave a little nod as Brax walked out the back door of the house, continuing to make coffee’s for the pair of them, going to take Brax’s out for him when it was made.

“Mummy,” Finn looked up to her from digging a hole at the beach. “I wanna see daddy.” Finn frowned as she hit his spade against the sand.

“Daddy is in Adelaide, remember?” April said, running her hand through his hair. “He went to visit uncle Evan.”

“He broke,” Finn sighed. “I talk with daddy?” Finn questioned.

April pursed her lips, knowing she shouldn’t stop Finn from talking with James, no matter how mad she was with him. “Mummy will try to phone him but he might not be able to answer because he could be at the hospital okay?” April said as she took her iPhone from the bag of Finn’s and hers beach things. Finn gave a little nod, a grin on his face as he crawled over to his mother. April put in her pass code and went into her contacts, going down to James’ name and calling him before passing the phone to Finn.

“Hey, April hun I’m glad you called I -” James started to talking, Finn giving a little giggle at hearing his voice over the phone.

“Daddy it’s me.” Finn told him.

“Ah hey little dude,” James sounded upbeat. “How’s it going?”

“Yeah we is at the beach,” Finn told him. “I’s making a hole and Leo is napping,” Finn said, glancing to the pram where his brother slept. “I got uhm....coco pops for breakfast and toast with orange juice.”

“Ah sounds like a good breakfast buddy,” James smiled. “So you are looking after mummy and Leo for me?” James questioned and Finn nodded his head. “Finn....Finn.” April, who was watching her son and could faintly hear James’ voice, spoke up.

“You need to answer daddy buddy,” April said. “He can’t see you nodding.”

“Yeah I is,” Finn answered. “But he did a stinky.” Finn scrunched his face up, clearly not a fan of his brother’s smelly nappies.

“Oh dear did you help mummy with it?” James questioned and once again Finn shook his head.

“No.” Finn giggled.

“Aww Finn Joseph,” James exhaled. “You should help mummy with everything.”

“You doesn’t do smelly either.” Finn said, noting James would mostly volunteer if it was a wet nappy rather than a smelly one.

“Aww buddy I do.” James said.

“No,” Finn said, sounded adamant. “You want to talk with mummy?”

“Yeah please can you put her on the phone?” James questioned and Finn nodded, handing the phone to April. James heard a fumbling sound before talking again. “Hun are you there?” James questioned.

“Uhm,” April spoke quietly as she glanced to the pram where Leo was sleeping soundly. “Leo’s stirring. I have to go,” April lied. “Just say goodbye to Finn.” April said, handing the phone back to Finn so he could say goodbye to his daddy.

Brax walked into the bedroom as Charlie appeared out of the en-suite. She glanced at him before walking over to the bed and slipping in under the covers. “How was work?” Charlie murmured as Brax stared to undress himself for bed.

“Busy,” Brax answered. “How was your day?”

“Yeah fine,” Charlie replied. “How’s Terese?” Charlie spoke with venom in her voice and Brax immediately picked up on it.

“I was playing with Eli after I fixed the guttering,” Brax told her, walking through to the bathroom to clean his teeth. “I don’t know where the time went.”

After a few minutes in silence, Charlie spoke up. “Kobe did the monkey bars by his self today,” Charlie told him. “He’s rather sad you missed it.”

“Aww I’m sorry,” Brax spat into the sink. “Would have been good to see him doing that,” Brax reached for the mouthwash and swirled some into his mouth before once again spitting. “But I’m sure we’ll be at the park again.” Brax switched off the bathroom light before walking back into the room and got into the bed, shuffling close to his wife.

“That’s not really the point Brax.” Charlie sighed.

“Don’t start at me,” Brax retorted. “I missed it. There’s nothing I can do or say to make it better in your eyes, so...” Brax shrugged. “Kobe will more than likely be happy enough to come to the park with me and show me how he can do the monkey bars without help,” Brax said. “So don’t make this into a big deal when it’s not.”

Charlie sighed, her head shaking lightly. “I’m not going to make it into anything,” Charlie murmured. “You just go do what you want,” Charlie exhaled. “If helping Terese out is more important than your son then who I am to stop you.”

“You know fine well that’s not the case,” Brax spat. “I just feel like I need to help this woman out.” Brax said and Charlie sucked in her bottom lip, starting intently at Brax for a moment.

“Okay,” Charlie murmured. “Goodnight.” Charlie reached to the side and turned her night light off before lying down to sleep, her back facing towards Brax.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one hundred and two

Evan had been slowly waking for the last few hours, coming in and out of consciousness. His vision was still blurry and he had a banging headache. “Rubes.” Evan looked around to her.

“Shh shh,” Ruby spoke softly. “Just get your strength back baby.” Ruby said, smiling down as she rubbed his cheek softly.

“I’m glad,” Evan’s breath was raspy. “You are,” He swallowed before taking a minute. “Here.” Evan smiled, staring into Ruby’s mesmerising green eyes.

“Nowhere else I’d be.” Ruby said.

“Mum?” Evan questioned.

“She’s here,” Ruby answered. “Her and James have just gone for a coffee.”

“Jay is here?” Evan sounded surprised as Ruby gave a little nod.

“You spoke to him this morning,” Ruby told him, re-jogging his memory. “Told him to get a haircut.” Ruby laughed.

“It’s still long?” Evan stifled a laugh.

“Yep.” Ruby nodded.

“Someone needs to tell him that he,” Evan paused for a breath. “He doesn’t look cool. He looks stupid.” Evan said and Ruby laughed.

“April seems to dig the hot surfer look.” Ruby said.

Evan furrowed his eyebrows. “You think my brother is hot?”

“Not as hot as you,” Ruby murmured before she placed a soft kiss on Evan’s lips. “Mmm I love you so much,” Ruby said. “I was so scared I was about to lose you,” Ruby exhaled. “I...I couldn’t cope if I lost you. You know that, right; you know how much I love you?” Ruby questioned. “Because I do, Evan. So much and I don’t think I say it enough because I’m.....” Ruby bowed her head. “But I do love you.”

“I know,” Evan told her. “I love you too,” Evan said and Ruby smiled before placing another kiss on Evan’s lips. “And you’ve been here the whole time?” Evan wondered and Ruby nodded in reply. “You met my mother without me?”

“I did,” Ruby chuckled. “She’s lovely and I said I’d talk to you about calling her more often. Maybe even coming to visit.”

“Rubes,” Evan exhaled. “Not now. I’m not fully alert yet.” Evan said and Ruby gave a little laugh before placing another kiss on Evan’s lips, so glad that he was now awake and only hoped that he would make a full recovery.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were having a picnic lunch by the lake. The boys had brought their bikes and Georgia had come on her scooter. They’d all been discarded in a pile close to where Charlie and Brax were sitting and the kids were running around, playing tag. “Can you believe we are having another?” Brax questioned, his hand resting on her stomach.

“Honestly?” Charlie questioned as she shook he heard.

“No? Really?” Brax questioned. “Because of the miscarriage?”

“Partly,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “But I....I got used to the idea of us only having 3 kids after losing the twins then Kobe came into our lives and I was sure we were complete,” Charlie exhaled as she put her hand on top on Brax’s. “But now it has happened obviously I’m happy about it,” Charlie smiled. “But this one is the last one.”

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled. “We’ll see.”

Charlie raised her eyebrows. “There’s no we’ll see about it,” Charlie informed him. “This is the last child I will bare.”

“The last one you’ll bare huh?” Brax questioned. “So you won’t rule out more fostering?”

“Well no but I think we’ll be pretty busy with the 5 kids we do have.” Charlie replied.

“Well 4 really,” Brax retorted. “Rubes doesn’t really need us as much as the little ones.”

“She’s still my child,” Charlie answered, looking down as Brax’s phone started ringing, feeling her chest tighten as she saw Terese’s name on the screen. “She has your number?” Charlie glanced up at her husband.

“Yeah,” Brax said before picking up the phone to answer. “Hey.....yeah.....nah not too busy that I can’t come have a look,” Brax said, Charlie shaking her head, Brax seeing she was getting that mad look in her eyes. “Yeah I’ll come then. Okay, see you.” Brax said before hanging up the phone, Charlie immediately slapping his chest before he could even talk to her. “Hey,” Brax winced as he rubbed over where Charlie had struck him. “What was that for?”

“Well you tell me?” Charlie muttered.

“Her shower is playing up,” Brax answered. “She needs to wash so...”

“So get a plumber,” Charlie shrieked. “Don’t you find it odd that all these problems are happening all at once and all of a sudden?” Charlie questioned.

“So what you think she’s making this up to make a pass at me?” Brax stifled a laugh.

“It’s possible.” Charlie shrugged.

“And you don’t trust me?” Brax questioned.

“Of course I do but -” Charlie started but Brax talked over her.

“Well it doesn’t sound like it,” Brax spat. “I’m being helpful, that’s all. She’s not interested in me in that way. She just needs some help in her house and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t accuse me of cheating on you.”

“I never did that.” Charlie’s voice got higher.

“Sounds exactly like that to me,” Brax spoke through gritted teeth before standing up. “I’m going to play with the kids for while.” Brax murmured before he walked over to the kids, Charlie sucking in her bottom lip as her hand stayed resting on her stomach.

Heath walked into the house, a spring in his step as he swung the bag in his hand. “Daddy what you got?” Kaya looked up from teasing Bella with a piece of carrot.

“Uhm just a little something for mummy.” Heath answered.

“Can I see?” Kaya stood up as she dropped the carrot to the floor, Bella hopping over and starting to eat it. “Please dad.” Kaya clasped her hands together as she ran over and tried to get to the bag.

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “You uhm....it’s not.....” Heath didn’t know what to say.

“M-U-M.” Kaya screeched as Bianca walked out of the bathroom, her hand pressed against her chest as she looked as white as sheet.

“What?” Bianca mumbled, swallowing as she felt like she wasn’t done throwing up.

“Dad bought you a present but he won’t let me see.” Kaya pouted as she folded her arms across her chest.

“He won’t?” Bianca gave Heath a questioning look as she walked over to him. Heath shook his head as he discretely made a baby bump gesture over his stomach with his hand. “Oh well sweetie you know it is a present for me.” Bianca said and Kaya scowled.

“I don’t like secrets.” Kaya frowned.

“No one is asking you to keep a secret cupcake.” Heath said as Bianca took the bag from him.

“But you is keep secrets from me.” Kaya sounded upset before she ran off, picking Bella up on the way to her bedroom, the door slamming shut.

Bianca glanced at the door for a moment before looking back to Heath. “Sorry I know it’s early but I couldn’t resist,” Heath said. “I thought Kaya was playing at Saffron’s today.”

“Her mum cancelled this morning. Saffi was throwing up all night,” Bianca said, Heath giving a little nod as he watched Bianca taking the baby grow from the bag. It was mostly white with a little tan bunny rabbit on the front. “This is cute,” Bianca smiled. “But it’s early to be buying clothes.”

“I know. I know,” Heath held his hands out. “But I’m excited. It’s my little man in there,” Heath said, stepping forward and putting his hand onto Bianca’s stomach. “My little Tyler.”

“You’ve named the kid already?” Bianca raised her eyebrows and Heath nodded, a big grin on his face. “And what if it’s a girl?” Bianca questioned.

“Nope,” Heath shook his head. “I’d bet this house on that baby being a boy.” Heath smiled, it very evident how excited he was to become a father.

Thanks for the comments. :)

one hundred and three

Charlie and Bianca were in the garage, looking at Kaya’s old baby clothes. “I can’t believe this is happening so fast. It is fast, isn’t it? All of this with Heath and I has been.”

Charlie gave a little shrug. “If it feels right what does time matter?” Charlie questioned.

“I guess,” Bianca exhaled as she glanced to the door separating the garage to the house. The kids were inside with the bunny as Bianca was listening to see if all was okay. “I’m still a bit shocked to be honest,” Bianca put her hand on her stomach. “I did always want Kaya to have a sibling but the older she got the less I believed it would happen.”

“8 years isn’t that bad though,” Charlie exhaled. “And there are 11 between Rubes and Daniel.”

“I know I know,” Bianca pursed her lips as she ran her hand over a little pink and white stripy baby grow. “And I guess there won’t be as much between the kids Heath and I have together.”

“Not even showing with this one yet and you are already thinking of another?” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“Well I always wanted two kids. I think two is good and the world seems built for a family of four but I think Heath would like more.” Bianca said, picking a little white rabbit teddy from the box.

“Let’s see how he does with this baby first,” Charlie stifled a laugh as her hand brushed over her own stomach. “He seems excited though.” Charlie mused.

“Yeah he is,” Bianca nodded. “He’s actually convinced it’s a boy so maybe these clothes aren’t needed.” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Well Brax keeps changing his mind but I think he’s leaning towards a girl.” Charlie said, her hand still on her stomach. Bianca widened hers eyes as her hand grabbed Charlie’s.

“Charlotte Braxton are you knocked up too?” Bianca tried to stay calm but she was excited at the prospect of being pregnant. Charlie pursed her lips as she nodded her head, picking up a little pink baby grow. “Ahh that’s awesome.” Bianca jumped up and down, squealing like a little school girl. “Our babies are going to be the best of friends.”

“I’m pretty sure they’d be close anyways even if there was an age gap,” Charlie said. “Besides they’ll be cousins.”

“Yeah but they are going to be born so close together,” Bianca squeaked. “Aw all we need to do now is get Leah on board and we can have a little baby club.”

“Oh yeah I’m sure Leah will get pregnant just for us,” Charlie murmured. “But you keep quiet about this,” Charlie pleaded. “It’s super early.”

“My lips are sealed,” Bianca said, not able to take the grin from her face. “Anyways, we best get back to the kids.” Bianca pulled Charlie by the hand as they left the garage to go back into the house.

James took a deep breath before hitting the call button. It rang and rang and rang and just as James was about to hang up, there was an answer. “Jay now isn’t really the best time.”

“When is, April?” James sighed. “You’ve not been answering me or are always making excuses and -”

“It’s bath time.” April answered sharply as she passed Finn his little boat, Finn immediately making it move in the water. James took his phone from his ear, glancing at the time before bringing it back to his ear.

“Sorry,” James pursed his lips, knowing it was indeed bath time for Finn. “How are the boys?”

“Fine,” April answered. “I think Leo realises something is different though. He’s not as settled.” April said, glancing to the bouncy chair where Leo was rocking lightly, his lion teddy sitting next to him.

“Not sure a month old can realise things.” James mumbled.

April sighed, her head shaking. “What did you call for Jay?” April asked, watching Finn who was playing around in the tub.

“I...I just want us to talk and be okay,” James answered. “Can we please just do that?”

“Not over the phone,” April answered. “Just stay in Adelaide with Rubes and Evan for as long as you need to and when you come home, we’ll talk.” April sucked in her bottom lip. Of course she loved James and would ultimately forgive him but it would just take some time to get over how he could jeopardise their family like he did.

“Okay,” James spoke quietly, April picking up on the upset in his voice. “You heard Evan woke up this morning?”

“Yeah Rubes called earlier,” April pursed her lips. “It’s great he’s awake. Everything else okay with him?” April asked.

“Yeah he seems like he’s fine,” James answered. “Want to keep him in for a few more days though.” James informed her.

“Well he has had a pretty big head injury,” April answered. “They’ll want to be safe.”

“Yeah,” James murmured before silence hit them. After about a minute of no one talking, James spoke again. “Well I’ll let you get back to bath time then,” James said. “See you in a few days I reckon.”

“Okay,” April pursed her lips. “Uhm I’ll probably call you tomorrow. Or Finn will want to talk to you anyways.”

“Okay. Give him a kiss and cuddle from me.” James exhaled.

“I will. Bye.” April said before she hung up the phone, exhaled lightly as she played with her engagement ring.

“Mummy,” Finn said. “Mummy,” Finn said again after getting no reply. “Mummy mummy mummy.” Finn splashed his hands into the water, the droplets splashing April.

“Sorry buddy,” April snapped out of her thoughts. “What you saying?”

“Let’s race thems.” Finn said, holding two wind up bath toys in his hand. April gave her son a smile before she took the dolphin from him, Finn getting to be the turtle.

After Charlie had come home from Bianca’s and had bathed and put the kids to bed she went downstairs and into the living room, taking a seat on the couch next to Brax who was watching some Rugby on the TV. “I feel like all we’ve done since we got married is argue,” Charlie murmured, turning to face Brax.

Brax exhaled lightly as he turned the volume down on the TV. “And if we were not arguing we were baby making. Funny mix, huh?” Brax stifled a laugh.

Charlie clicked her tongue. “I’m sorry that I made it seem like I was accusing you of straying,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I trust you 110 per cent and love how caring and helpful you are towards others.”

Brax gave a thankful smile. “Well that’s nice to hear. Thank you.”

“Does she want you doing anything else for her?” Charlie questioned.

“She’s asked if I could go cut the grass for her,” Brax answered. “But if me being around her bothers you then I can say no and get her to get -”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “I...it’s okay. Like I said, I trust you.”

“You could always come too,” Brax said. “It doesn’t seem like she’s made much friends since moving here and the kids could be company for Eli for a couple hours. You two can have the whole woman’s chat while I do the man’s work,” Brax said, his lips curling over as a cheek grin etched on his face. “I think she’s just lonely more than anything, really. Maybe she just needs to meet a nice man.”

“So what you going to set her up?” Charlie gave a little chuckle.

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Was thinking you and Bianca could offer to take her out of the night. Maybe she’d meet someone then.”

“Bianca and I are both pregnant,” Charlie said. “You and Heath wouldn’t exactly be happy if we went out drinking, would you?” Charlie questioned and Brax shook his head. “Anyways we don’t even know if Terese wants to date,” Charlie rubbed his arm as he spoke. “Let’s leave the matchmaking huh?” Charlie murmured and Brax gave a little nod before looking back to the rugby as Charlie cuddled up against him, Brax smiling as he rubbed her arm and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

one hundred and four

Charlie was sitting in the kitchen. Terese had gone outside to see if Brax had wanted another drink and the kids were playing in Eli’s room. “Mummy,” Georgia came running though to the kitchen. “Daddy is naked.”

“What?” Charlie gave a little laugh. “I don’t think he is naked sweetheart,” Charlie stood up from the chair and walked over to the window, looking rather alarmed to see Brax standing with no t-shirt on, and worse still, Terese was rubbing his arm, laughing as she gazed into his eyes. “What the....” Charlie rushed out of the back door, Georgia running after her, giggling at her daddy. “What’s going on?” Charlie raised her voice. “I told you. I told you she was into you. I knew she -”

“Charlie,” Brax spoke over her. “It was an oil spill on my t-shirt,” Brax said, explaining what the situation was. “She said it would stain if it didn’t get cleaned right away.”

“So why was her hands all over you?” Charlie retorted as she glanced to Terese. Terese lifted her hand up and it was then Charlie saw the cloth stained with oil. On closer inspection to Brax’s arm she saw he still had some oil smeared on his upper arm. “Oh, I.....Terese I’m sorry I -”

“It’s fine,” Terese mumbled. “I’m not interested in your husband, Charlie,” Terese told her, glancing to the side to see Georgia was pulling clumps of grass out with her little hands. She gave a little chuckle before looking back to Charlie. “I’m not that way inclined. I....I don’t like any males.”

“You’re a lesbian?” Brax raised his eyebrows and Terese nodded in response. “So then how did you get Eli?” Brax questioned as he rubbed the back of his head.

“Sperm donation.” Terese answered.

“Oh,” Charlie exhaled. “I really am sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.”

“It’s fine,” Terese murmured. “I really do just need a guy like Brax to help me get this house sorted. No wonder it was so cheap. There’s everything wrong with it and I was going to get someone in but then I needed my surgery on my dodgy knees and.....we’ll it’s hard being a single mother. I can’t buy everything I need right away all the time.”

“You seem to be buying new things for Eli all the time.” Charlie murmured.

“I know I spoil him,” Terese pursed her lips. “But I’m never going to be able to give him a father, so I think I compensate in other ways.”

“What about his grandfather?” Brax questioned. “Maybe an uncle?”

Terese shook her head. “I came out when I was 17,” Terese pursed her lips. “My parents threw me out. The only Aunt and Uncle I have live in England.” Terese exhaled, her head bowing sadly.

“It’s okay,” Charlie stepped forward and rubbed her arm. “You don’t have to -”

“Eliza,” Terese said, looking back to them. “She was my girlfriend. We ran off together. Ended up in Sydney. She actually went to uni and became a successful lawyer. I didn’t know what I wanted to do but she was happy enough to let me play homemaker till I made up my mind. She was 5 years older than me and I think she felt like she was responsible for me. Anyways we made a life together in Sydney and then decided to have a baby together,” Charlie rubbed Terese’s arm again as she could see her welling up. “I got pregnant first try and we were over the moon, everything was so perfect,” Terese took a moment to compose herself. “Anyways, when I was 6 months pregnant she started complaining about always having sore heads and saying she could smell burnt toast all the time,” Terese gave a little laugh. “Turns out she had a brain tumour. It was too late though and a month later she died,” Terese wiped her hand across her face. “I uhm....I tried to stay in Sydney, in the house we shared. I always wanted Eli to have the room she decorate for him but,” Terese shook her head. “Four year of not being able to get over losing her. Of always breaking down because Sydney reminds me so much of her and our life, I.....I moved here. A fresh start for me and Eli.”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie spoke softly with comfort in her voice. “I really am.”

“Yeah,” Terese cleared her throat. “Anyways I’ll go put this on a wash.” Terese said as she held Brax’s t-shirt up a little before walking off to and into the house, Charlie looking to Brax. He exhaled lightly, shaking his head at her before putting the lawnmower back on and continuing to mow the grass.

April looked down to the papers before her. She took a deep breath before picking up the pen and signing her name on the dotted line. She looked to the letter again, reading over it just to be doubly sure. “Hun?” April jumped as she heard the voice.

“Jay?” April questioned getting up from the table and walking out of the kitchen, seeing James walking down the hall.

“Hey.” James smiled as he threw his bag down and walked over to April, pulling her into hug. April remained in the embrace for a moment before pulling herself away, taking a few steps back.

“Thanks for telling me you were coming home today.” April mumbled.

“I wanted to surprise Finn.” James said.

“I wouldn’t have said anything to him,” April said. “I....I thought you would have wanted to be with Evan longer.” April murmured as she folded her arms across her chest and leaned against the wall.

“I missed you all too much,” James told her. “And Evan’s good. He’s getting out of hospital tomorrow. It’s like he’s never been kicked in the head 20 times,” James gave a little laugh. “Where is Finn?”

“He’s at the zoo with Heath, Bianca and Kaya.” April answered.

James gave a little nod. “Oh well it’ll be a nice surprise for him when he gets home,” James said. “Leo is here though?”

“He’s napping.” April gestured into the living room and James walked across to the door and went into the room, picking his son up from the moses basket and kissing him softly, Leo staying asleep as James held him.

“So listen hun, about what I did,” James pursed his lips, wanting to sort out the elephant in the room right away. “I was only doing what I thought was -”

“I know,” April spoke over him. “You were only trying to keep us a family and I do admire you for that,” April said, walking out of the room, gesturing for James to follow. “And it’s worked out our way but I...well I’m not sure I’d be able to be so forgiving if it didn’t.” April said, picking the letter up from the table and handing it out for James to take. He took his into his hand, his other arm keeping a hold of Leo, who was snuggled up fast asleep against him.

“What’s this?” James questioned.

“It came this morning,” April told him. “Read it.” April said, James looking down and reading the letter that was from the court house stating that Mr Austin had dropped the case to get custody of Finn Scott.

“He’s dropped it,” James’ voice was high. “He dropped the case?” James questioned, just to make sure he’d read the letter correctly.

“Uh-huh,” April smiled as she nodded her head. “Finn’s not going anywhere,” April was ecstatic that her son’s home life wasn’t going to be messed around, that he’d only have one stable home. “I think you’ll also be pleased to know that I uhm....I signed this.” April said, lifting up the next set of papers from the kitchen table.

“The adoption papers?” James’ face lit up as April nodded. “All we need to do now is get me down the altar to become Mrs King then we really will be a little family.” April smiled before leaning up and placing a soft kiss on James’ lips, the love she had for him and the fact Xavier had stuck to his word making it hard for her to stay mad at him for too long.

one hounded and five

“Daddy,” Finn ran across the room and leapt up into James’ arms. April had gone to Bianca’s to pick him up, James staying at home to surprise Finn upon his return. “Daddy.” Finn shrieked as he held tightly onto him.

“Hey little dude,” James kissed his neck. “I missed you.”

“Daddy,” Finn shrieked again, the boy obviously very glad to see him home. “Oh daddy.” Finn clutched onto him even tighter.

“You have fun at the zoo today bud?” James questioned.

“Uh-huh,” Finn nodded. “See lotsa animals.”

“Well that’s good,” James smiled, ruffling Finn’s hair as he cuddled into him. “Hope you said thank you to Auntie Bee and Uncle Heath.”

“Yep,” Finn answered. “Daddy you brim presents?” Finn said, giving his father an angelic grin as he batted his eyelashes.

“Finn Joseph.” April gasped as she was standing over the moses basket where Leo was napping.

“Cheeky monster asking for presents,” James said as he tickled Finn’s sides, Finn giggling hysterically. “But daddy did do a little shopping.” James exhaled as he stood up from the couch and put Finn down to the floor. He walked out of the room and went into his bag he was yet to pack away, pulling out some bags and walking back into the living room.

“Oh daddy.” Finn jumped around excitedly.

“This is for little dude,” James handed the bag to Finn. “And for little bro.” James handed the bag to April so she could open the present.

“Aww this is cute,” April held the little blue dungaree suit out in front of her with a little ship on the front. “Isn’t that cute Finn?” April questioned but Finn was too interested in looking at his 3 pack of Spiderman jigsaw puzzles.

“Jiggersawrs,” Finn shrieked. “I likes thems.” Finn said, grinning up at James and April.

“Glad you like them,” James said, sitting down on the floor next to him as he was trying to open the box. “Here buddy let daddy,” James told him, taking the box from him. “You need to take this tape off.” James said, pulling at the tape so the jigsaw box would open.

“Do thems with me.” Finn grinned looking to James before looking to April. “And mummy.” Finn said, April walking over and sitting down with the boys to do the jigsaw with them. “Oh daddy,” Finn gasped, his hands slapping against his cheeks. “Where mummy’s?”

“Mummy’s what?” James questioned.

“Mummy’s pressie.” Finn looked a little concerned that he and Leo had something and April didn’t seem to get anything.

“Oh,” James glanced to April before looking back to Finn. “Uhm, I’ll give mummy her present tonight.” James said, grinning suggestively at April.

“You wish.” April whispered as she shook her head before starting the jigsaw with Finn.

Charlie was watching as Daniel spiked up Kobe’s hair. She smiled at the brotherly bonding as she leaned against the doorframe to the kids’ bathroom. “You boys all ready?” Charlie questioned and both boys nodded as they ran out of the room, Georgia skipping down the hall in her white and red spotty dress she’d picked on the shopping trip she’d had with Charlie the week before, Owlie tucked under her arm.

“Mummy,” Kobe rubbed her hand. “I’d like Wally to be there when it happens.”

“Well you best go get him then huh?” Charlie rubbed his shoulder as he nodded at her before running back to his bedroom to get his wombat teddy. “You happy bud?” Charlie questioned, looking to Daniel.

Daniel gave a little nod as a smile etched on his face. “He’s already my dad though.”

“I know that and he’s does too, everyone knows Brax is your dad but this little piece of paper is going to make it official in the eyes of the law.” Charlie said and Daniel gave a little nod, understanding what his mother was telling him. They were going to the courthouse today so Charlie and Brax could legally adopt Kobe and Brax could make the adoption of Daniel official.

“Can we just have a little celebration?” Daniel questioned. “Like with cakes and fizzy pop and ice cream and popcorn.”

“For after the adoptions?” Charlie questioned and Daniel nodded. “Sure we can.”

“Can Ruby come?” Daniel questioned, a hopeful tone to his voice, Daniel missing his big sister.

“She’s still in Adelaide bud,” Charlie said. “Her and Evan are spending some time with his mum.”

Daniel frowned. “I wish they’d come back now.”

“They will soon.” Charlie smiled as she rubbed his cheek.

“Got it mummy,” Kobe screeched as he appeared back from his bedroom. “We’re all ready.” Kobe grinned as Charlie brushed her hand over his sky blue shirt.

“You look very smart,” Charlie said, the boys in shirts and suit pants for the courts. “You ready to become Kobe Braxton?” Charlie questioned. “You sure you want to be stuck with us?” Charlie said as she tickled his sides.

Kobe giggled as he nodded. “Daddy said I can be Kobe Darryl Braxton.” Kobe grinned, giving a little jump.

“He did?” Charlie questioned.

“Uh-huh,” Kobe answered. “Kobe Darryl. I like it.” Kobe stood up really straight, looking proud.

“Well then Kobe Darryl, let’s get to the courthouse huh?” Charlie pinched his cheek before he and Daniel ran off down the stairs.

“C’mon honeybee.” Charlie laughed at her daughter who looked like she was trying to stand on her head, her dress crumpled up to her belly, her purple panties with Dora Explorer on the front on full display. Charlie lifted her daughter up, Owlie hanging from her daughters little hands as she walked down the stairs with her, her heart beating faster with pure love for little Kobe as they were finally going to the courthouse to make his adoption official.

“Morning.” Ruby smiled as Evan opened his eyes.

Evan gave a stretch. “You been here long?” Evan questioned.

“About half an hour,” Ruby answered, stroking over his brow softly. “You get to come home today.” Ruby said, feeling happy that she didn’t need to spend much more time at the hospital. Of course she liked being with Evan but she just didn’t love that they were stuck in the hospital.

“Will came to see me last night,” Evan said. “He said the guys are in custody but I still need to make a statement now I am well enough to talk to the cops.”

“Well that was always expected,” Ruby said. “You remember anything or is it foggy?”

“Foggy,” Evan answered. “Very foggy. I remember getting the girl a drink then I remember being pushed and kicked once then I....” Evan shook his head. “I think Will is the key to getting them put away for this.”

“Well don’t try too hard to remember otherwise you never will,” Ruby told him. “Just don’t think too much about it and maybe it’ll come back to you.”

“Maybe,” Evan exhaled. “But what do you say to going to the beach tomorrow?” Evan questioned. “We can do some surfing, swimming, just relaxing.”

“Not sure heading out in the surf the day after you get out of hospital from a head injury is such a good idea.” Ruby murmured.

“Why not?” Evan wondered. “I’m getting out of hospital. Obviously I am fine.”

“Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head. “You and your mum are going to show me what Adelaide has to see.” Ruby said, liking the idea that she could finally be a tourist in a city that was new to her.

“It’s Adelaide. There’s nothing worth seeing.” Evan mumbled.

“There’ll be stuff to do,” Ruby said. “And it’ll be nice to have some fun days with your mum too before we go back to the Bay.”

“I know it will,” Evan smiled softly. “But she likes the beach. She can come surfing with us. Do a picnic.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “You’ll be like my own little tour guide,” Ruby gave him a cheeky grin. “And I promise you we can have a day at the beach here before we go home.” Ruby said and Evan exhaled as he nodded, feeling a little defeated. Ruby smiled before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

Thanks for the comments.

After some thought I’ve decided to fast forward this. It moves forward 8 months in time.

One hundred and six

Born exactly on her due date, baby girl Braxton was as cute as a button. She had a tuft of golden blonde hair just like her mother’s and the same soft green eyes. She was Bianca’s double. Heath was sitting on the chair next to the hospital bed, grinning down at his little daughter in absolute awe. “Can we still call her Tyler?” Heath questioned, Tyler a name he very much loved.

“No,” Bianca screwed her face up. “I hardly like that name as it is but if I were to use it, it would be on a son, not for my daughter,” Bianca answered also staring down at her baby daughter, her little face screwing up as she yawned. “She needs a nice cute girls’ name.”

“Hmm,” Heath pursed his lips as his gaze stayed on his daughter. Even though he was sure Bianca was going to have a boy, and no matter how much he loved the idea of having a son, his heart was already swelling with the love that he felt for his baby girl, for his little Princess. “Daisy?” Heath questioned, glancing at Bianca for a moment before looking back to his daughter. “Oh I know, Belle. Because she is so beautiful. Isn’t that beautiful in Italian or something?”

“Belle generally means a beautiful woman, yeah,” Bianca said. “But the rabbit is Bella, so Belle and Bella,” Bianca shook her head. “Anyways I thought we agreed on Olivia for a girl.” Bianca said.

“She’s not Olivia.” Heath shook his head.

“Well whoever she is,” Bianca said, reaching forward and taking her from Heath’s grasp. “She wants a cuddle from her mummy,” Bianca spoke softly as she held her daughter close to her, the baby cuddling into her mother’s warmth. “Isn’t that right baby girl?” Bianca cooed, her index finger rubbing her little cheek. “Hmm you’ve been looking at daddy’s funny face for too long, huh?” Bianca laughed.

“Oh cheeky mummy,” Heath gasped. “If you hadn’t just had my baby you’d have got a slap for that.” Heath said, Bianca glancing at him as she grinned.

“What time did Irene say she’d bring Kaya in?” Bianca questioned, Bianca obviously looking forward to Kaya coming and meeting her baby sister.

“Uhm,” Heath glanced at his watch. “Around 3.” Heath answered. Baby Braxton had been born just before noon but Irene had said she’d let Heath and Bianca have a few hours with their new daughter alone before having to share her with Kaya and everyone else who would come visit.

“Well that gives mummy around a half hour of cuddles before your big sister comes and takes you from me, doesn’t it?” Bianca cooed down at her daughter, Heath grinning at the scene, the happiest he’d ever felt now he had a brand new baby daughter.

Leo crawled across the floor, a big grin on his face as he stood at his mother’s feet. He put his little hands onto her knee before pushing himself up to standing. This was a new trick he’d learned a few days ago and would love to show it off. “Hey bubba,” April lifted her son up onto her knee. “You get bored of your building blocks?” April ran her hand over his soft blond locks. She left Leo playing happily with his blocks while she spoke with her wedding planner. Despite saying she wouldn’t go back after Leo was born, April had in fact returned to school, James leaving his job at the garage as promised to look after the boys. He worked Thursday through Saturday nights as a bouncer at a club in Yabbie Creek so they could keep making some money.

Leo gave a big grin as his hand squashed against April’s cheek, showing off the few teeth that he had. “He is a handsome little guy,” Aubrey - the wedding planner - smiled as she leaned forward and rubbed his little cheek. “How old is he?”

“9 months,” April answered. “Although I can hardly believe it. Seems like yesterday I found out I was expecting him.”

“I hear time flies.” Aubrey mused.

“It does,” April nodded her head, like she was agreeing with herself. “My eldest son is 4 and half already,” April exhaled. “That just scares me.” April said her and Aubrey both looking at Leo who was shaking his head from side to side, like he was dancing his mother’s arms.

Aubrey smiled at him as she once again rubbed his little cheek. “Well I assume your elder son will be the little page boy?” Aubrey questioned and April nodded her head.

“And my niece will be the flower girl,” April told her. “That’s pretty much all I know of so far.”

“Well that’s why I am here to help,” Aubrey said. “But I thought the husband to be would be here as well.”

“He’s just running a little late,” April pursed her lips. James and Finn were out surfing, James promising he’d be back for the 2.45 appointment, but now it was just after 3 at he was yet to come home. “He’ll be here soon. You sure I can’t get you a coffee or anything?”

“No, I’m fine thank you,” Aubrey said, Leo grinning at her and he leaned his body forward, holding his hands out for her to take. “You want to say hello?” Aubrey questioned as she took Leo into her arms, sitting him on her knee. Leo squealed excitedly as he clapped his hands before he saw a shiny bracelet on her wrist. His little eyes lit up as his hands went to grab on it.

“Uh-uh,” April shook her head as she pulled Leo’s hands away from the expensive looking bracelet. “No touchy.”

Leo looked up to his mother for a moment before looking back to the bracelet, his hand once again touching it. “Sorry I’m late.” April heard the voice before she saw him. James came into the living room, as Finn skipped in behind him eating a pack of lollies.

“Look at little Jay-bug all grown up.” Aubrey said as she stood up.

“Cheesy?” James looked a little confused.

“Oh my goodness,” Aubrey laughed. “I haven’t been called that in years,” Aubrey said. “God Jay I can’t believe I’m about to plan your wedding.” Aubrey said.

“I’m sorry do you two know each other?” April questioned, James and Aubrey staying silent as they continued to look at one another.

Charlie waddled into the diner behind Brax and the kids. She had 18 days left of her pregnancy so was really ready for the baby just to come. “Ahh.” Charlie exhaled, feeling relieved to have the weight taken off her feet. She rubbed over her stomach, the baby currently moving around like crazy.

“Alright?” Brax murmured.

“Mmm.” Charlie nodded her head, her hand still rubbing over her bump.

“Pickles,” Georgia giggled as she leaned to the side in her chair and put her hands on her mother’s stomach, grinning as she felt her little sibling moving around. Georgia had taken to calling the baby Pickles from when they’d all been told about the baby and the nickname had stuck with even Brax and Charlie referring to the baby as Pickles instead or he, she or it, as they didn’t know what they were having. “Pickles tickles you.” Georgia giggled.

“Oh I know,” Kobe held his hands in the air excitedly. In the car on the way to the town the discussion had tuned to naming the baby and Kobe obviously had another suggested. “Fred. Baby Fred.”

“No way,” Daniel scrunched his face up. “It should be Ryan after my favourite pro skater or Brad after a pro surfer I like,” Daniel exhaled. “And if it’s a girl then Mollie.”

“No,” Georgia squealed. “This Pickles.” Georgia said, gently patting her mother’s stomach.

Brax and Charlie both laughed at their daughter as Charlie ran her hand through her ponytail. “Mollie is a girl at school he likes.” Kobe giggled and Daniel gasped as he shot a look at his little brother, Daniel looking most annoyed and also a little embarrassed, Charlie seeing he was going red.

“Kobe.” Daniel scowled at him.

“She is though.” Kobe giggled.

“Well Kobe has 3 girlfriends,” Daniel held 3 fingers up. “Jamie, Lauren and Holly.”

“No them’s not,” Kobe shook his head, looking all defensive. “Lauren goes with Dylan now so just Jamie and Holly.”

“Two is still more than you should have bud,” Brax told his son. “Might need to have a little chat with you buddy.” Brax said and Kobe just laughed as he shook his head. “Oh yeah,” Brax nodded his head. “Need you get you in the wise so you can protect Georgia and little Pickles when they start dating,” Brax laughed. “Actually scratch that,” Brax murmured. “Georgia isn’t going anywhere near boys, like ever.” Brax said, obviously going to be very protective of his daughter.

“I wills,” Georgia nodded. “Finn gonna be mines.” Georgia patted her chest and Charlie and Brax laughed at their daughter just as Leah walked over to take their order.

Thank you Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :)

one hundred and seven

“She doesn’t look like me,” Kaya sighed as she was holding the baby in her arms. “I thought she would look like me.” Kaya exhaled.

“You have the same eye colour.” Heath noted.

Kaya looked up to him, a scowl on her face. “That’s not enough,” Kaya sighed. “She looks too much like mum.”

“Well I am her mother.” Bianca stifled a laugh.

“Yes but I wanted her to be more like me,” Kaya said. “So we can be the same.”

“Well she might be like you in every other way,” Heath said, rubbing Kaya’s cheek. “Might like to dance like you and sing like you. Like animals like you do,” Heath said. “You can still be like each other without looking like one another.”

Kaya furrowed her eyebrows. “Have you named her yet?”

“Jessica,” Bianca answered. “Her name is Jessica.”

“That’s nice,” Kaya grinned as she stared down at her little sister who was fast asleep in her arms. “I like it.”

Heath smiled at the scene of his two daughters bonding. “So we’ve got you down for the next smelly nappy,” Heath joked. “That okay?”

“Yeah,” Kaya answered. “I’ll do them all and baths and feeds and dressing her,” Kaya grinned. Having Jessica was going to be way better than having a baby doll to play with. “She’s so cute.” Kaya said as she softly kissed her forehead.

“Daddy will hold you to that.” Heath murmured.

“You’re not daddy anymore,” Kaya sighed. “I’m 8 you know. I’m told old to call you daddy. It’s dad.”

“Oh I see,” Heath raised his eyebrows. “Sorry.” Heath murmured, glancing at Bianca who was biting her lip to stop herself from laughing, before they both watched Kaya bonding with her new baby sister.

Aubrey had said that they were old school friends before going back to planning the wedding with April and James before leaving the house after making little progress, April and James yet to be able to agree and decided on anything. James walked back down the stairs after putting Leo down for his nap and walked into the kitchen where April was getting a little snack of grapes and cut up apple for Finn. “So,” April put the knife down as she looked up to James who’d taken a can of pop out of the fridge. “You going to tell me how you know her?” April questioned.

“I told you,” James opened the can and took a drink. “We went to school together.”

“And that’s all?” April questioned.

“Uhm,” James moved his gaze from April. “We might have been a couple.”

“What kind of couple are we talking here?” April questioned. “Like primary school she’s my ‘girlfriend’ or was this in high school?” April wondered.

James cleared his throat. “She was my first proper girlfriend,” James spoke quietly. “Like you know we uhm....we were each other’s firsts.”

“And she is now planning our wedding?” April questioned. “You have had sex with the woman who is going to be planning our wedding.”

“It’s no big deal,” James exhaled. “She’s my ex.”

“You still put your penis inside her,” April raised her voice as it got high and squeaky. “Don’t you think it’s weird that we are having her plan our wedding?” April questioned. “And didn’t you know? When I said we’d call Aubrey Peterson the wedding planner, didn’t it occur to you that you’d slept with her?”

“It’s not like she’s the only person in the world with the name Aubrey Peterson.” James shrugged.

“In this area though?” April questioned. “C’mon Jay it’s hardly a common name.”

“Well,” James shrugged again. “I’m marrying you. We broke up ages ago. I don’t get why you have to make a big deal out of this.”

“It’s weird Jay,” April sighed. “I....and what kind of nickname is Cheesy anyways?” April mumbled.

James laughed. “Her name is Aubrey and she used to get called Bree for short. Brie is a cheese, so....Cheesy,” James said, still laughing at it now. “If it’s going to be a problem then just don’t use her as our wedding planner,” James said. “Sorted.”

“But she is the best in this area,” April sighed. “I.....argh.” April moaned as she picked up the bowl of fruit and little juice box for Finn and left the kitchen, leaving James standing alone, scratching the back of his head, a little perplexed at the conversation he’d just had with his fiancée.

Ruby and Evan had been living together for a couple of months now. They had a lovely little apartment and a gorgeous view of the Bay and ocean from their little balcony. Evan was busy in the kitchen, preparing dinner for himself and Ruby, surprising Ruby a little as she walked back into the house following a shift at the restaurant. “Am I seeing this right?” Ruby questioned. Evan never made the dinner or did any of the housework, which confused Ruby a little as she didn’t expect he would have sat around and did nothing when he was living with Irene.

Evan exhaled as he nodded. “Spag bol,” Evan said as he drained the pasta. “It’s ready though so you go home just in time,” Evan said. “Take a seat.” Evan gestured to the table and Ruby walked across, throwing her bag down over the couch as she made her way to the kitchen table. She widened her eyes as she saw a bunch of flowers in a vase in the centre of the table and two glasses of red wine having already been poured.

“Have I missed a special day for us or something?” Ruby wondered as she sat down, glancing over to the kitchen and only then did she noticed how much of a mess it was. Drawers were left open, there was some sauce dripping down on the floor and it seemed like even pan and cooking utensil they owned were scattered messily over the kitchen worktop and breakfast bar. She bit her lip knowing right now the most important thing was that Evan had cooked.

“Nah,” Evan picked up the bowls and walked over to the table, putting a bowl in front of Ruby as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head before walking round the table and taking a seat opposite her. “I just thought I’d do the cooking for a change.”

“I see,” Ruby gave him a smile as she picked up her glass of wine, Evan picking up him. They clinked glasses together before taking a drink.

“You didn’t tackle that huge pile of dirty laundry we had to did you?” Ruby questioned, their laundry basket over flowing with clothes that needed washed.

“No,” Evan shook his head as he twirled his pasta around his fork before taking the mouthful. “Cooking this meal was stressful enough.”

“So what else have you done today?” Ruby questioned. Evan was back at uni and worked at the gym on weekends, but it was closed for refurbishment right now, giving him a free weekend.

“Went surfing, played Xbox then made this.” Evan answered.

“So you didn’t get started on your assignment?” Ruby questioned

“Ah nah,” Evan shook his head. “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

“We are supposed to be going to mum’s for a barbeque tomorrow,” Ruby sighed. “You knew that, Evan. You’ve had two weeks to do this assignment.”

Evan sighed lightly. “You try to do something nice for your girlfriend and you just get attacked,” Evan shook his head before he took another drink of his wine. “I shouldn’t have bothered.” Evan muttered and Ruby just shook her head at him as she too took a drink of her wine.

Charlie tossed and turned in the bed. She lifted the bed sheet up and waved it up and down to let some air in before she threw it from herself, the covers also flying off Brax. “What you doing?” Brax mumbled, sounding very tired. “Stay still and go to sleep.”

“I can’t get comfy.” Charlie answered as she sat up in the bed and leaned to the side to put her side light on. Brax’s eyes squinted as the light hit them as he sat up in bed next to his wife.

“Well I can’t believe Heath and Bianca called their daughter Jessica,” Brax murmured. “That was the name we picked out for if Pickles is a girl.” Brax sounded disappointed that they could no longer use the name.

“I know but it’s not like we told anyone and there a plenty more girls’ names out there,” Charlie said, her hand rubbing over her stomach as the baby was moving. “There’s plenty more we like so I’m sure if she does happen to be a girl she’ll still get a name,” Charlie exhaled lightly.

“Yes but I really did have my heart set on Jessica,” Brax pouted. “Little Jessica Braxton. How cute does that sound?”

“Well there still is a Jessica Braxton,” Charlie said. “She’s just your niece and not your daughter.”

“Hmm,” Brax frowned. “Anyways how about you come and cuddle into me?” Brax opened his arm out so Charlie was lean into him.

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m too hot to have cuddles,” Charlie said. “I need to actually be further away from you, I think.” Charlie stifled a laugh.

“Gee thanks.” Brax sounded a little disappointed.

“Sorry but I’m so uncomfy,” Charlie pushed on her stomach a little, the baby putting a lot of pressure onto her. “I just want the baby to come now.”

“Not much longer,” Brax put his hand onto her stomach. “Pickles will come when she’s ready.”

“I know,” Charlie raised her voice a little. “I just wouldn’t mind to much if she came a little earlier than her due date,” Charlie murmured. “I’m technically full term anyways so it’s not like my wish would be bad for her.” Charlie said.

“Well,” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively. “I do believe there are ways we can induce labour.” Brax said, his hand moving further down her stomach as he leaned down and kissed her lips.

“Eugh,” Charlie pushed on his chest. “I’m hot, uncomfy and feel disgusting,” Charlie said. “What the hell would make you think I want sex?”

“Well you just....” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “You said you wanted to try to induce labour.”

“Well not with sex,” Charlie retorted. “There’s plenty other ways we can start trying tomorrow.” Charlie said, Brax giving a little nod, of course remember all too well Charlie trying to induce labour when she was pregnant with Georgia but to no avail, giving she was two weeks later and Charlie had to be induced in the end.

“Sure whatever you want.” Brax murmured. If he had things his way he wouldn’t intervene and let the baby come when he was ready to but he wasn’t the pregnant one and knew better than to disagree with a pregnant Charlie.

one hundred and eight

Charlie and Ruby were in the kitchen, preparing a salad to eat along with the barbeque. “So everything is okay with you and Evan?” Charlie questioned, finding it strange Evan was choosing to be at home doing homework instead of being with the family.

“Yeah.” Ruby murmured as she chopped up the cucumber.

“You’re face is saying otherwise,” Charlie said as she pulled cherry tomatoes from the vine. “Something is bothering you.”

Ruby clicked her tongue as she put the knife down and turned to face her mother. “I have to do everything and it annoys me,” Ruby sighed. “I cook, I clean, I wash up, I do all the laundry,” Ruby sighed. “He cooked last night for like the third time since we’ve lived together and he made such a mess. Then he had the cheek to say I can wash up since he cooked,” Ruby’s voice went high and squeaky. “I just.....living with him isn’t like I thought it would be.”

“Well sweetie remember he is a boy,” Charlie said, her hand rubbing Ruby’s shoulder. “He’s not programmed like us. We see laundry that needs doing, we do it. We see dishes to wash, we do it,” Charlie said. “Men,” Charlie shook her head. “You need to give them a little nudge.”

“We shouldn’t have too.” Ruby sighed.

“I know but we just do,” Charlie said. “Talk it out with Evan. Don’t just get mad at him and not let him know why, that’s not fair on him.”

“But he is in the wrong,” Ruby screeched. “I shouldn’t need to ask him to help. He should know that he needs too. I’m not his maid. I’m his girlfriend.”

“So remind him of that,” Charlie said as she rubbed Ruby’s back. “Guys are a lot simpler than us women,” Charlie joked and Ruby gave a little laugh. “Ohh.” Charlie rubbed over her stomach.

“Whoa you okay?” Ruby widened her eyes as she put her hand on her mother arm, looking down to her stomach.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “It was just a kick. A hard one,” Charlie said, still rubbing over her stomach. “But now Pickles is awake I’m not going to get peace for hours.” Charlie mumbled.

“What makes you think you’ll get peace once he arrives?” Ruby laughed. “New baby’s like constantly need attention.”

“Yes but this baby has 4 older siblings plus a wonderful father,” Charlie said. “I can get peace.”

“Yeah sure you will.” Ruby rolled her eyes before going back to cutting up the cucumber for the salad.

Heath walked into the house, holding the car seat securely. Kaya skipped in behind him, followed by a tired Bianca. “Well Jessica this is your home,” Heath spoke softly. “Will daddy show you around?” Heath put the car seat down on the coffee table and lifted his daughter into his arm.

“Oh so we won’t lose the house?” Kaya questioned, looking to her mother as she took a seat on the couch.

“Why would we lose the house?” Bianca stifled a laugh, a little bemused at her elder daughters question.

“Well dad said heaps when Jessica was still in your tummy that he’d bet the house it was a boy,” Kaya exhaled. “And she’s a girl.”

“Oh,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “No sweetie he didn’t actually bet the house.”

“Good,” Kaya gave a little sigh of relief. “Can I go get Bella so show to Jessica?” Kaya questioned with an excited look on her face.

“Sure.” Bianca gave a little nod and Kaya ran off to the garage to get the bunny.

“You know I never did thank you.” Heath said as he sat next to Bianca on the couch, Jessica all snug in his arms.

“Thank me for what?” Bianca questioned.

“For giving me another gorgeous daughter.” Heath answered, not taking his eyes off his daughter.

“Well you did help put her inside me,” Bianca answered. “But I guess I did do most of the work to get her here,” Bianca said, her hand cupping her daughters little head. “So you are welcome.” Bianca looked up to him, a little grin on her face before she placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I don’t know how I can ever repay you,” Heath exhaled. “Giving birth looks...” Heath scrunched his face as he shook his head. “You women are brave going through that.”

Bianca gave a little chuckle. “You can repay me by doing all the night feeds.”

“I would love too,” Heath told her. “But there is the problem of me not having the correct equipment.” Heath said, glancing at Bianca’s breasts.

“Well in that case you can do all the nappy changes,” Bianca said, giving a cheeky grin. “Especially the dirty ones.”

“I think Kaya had her name on those,” Heath said. “So you make sure you do a nice smelly present for your big sister,” Heath grinned down at Jessica. “Okay lovely?” Heath smiled, Bianca smiling at how much love was pouring out of his eyes for their newborn daughter.

“Mmm mm mm.” Leo babbled as he waved his hands out excitedly, wanting the lollies his older brother was eating.

“No Leo I can’t give you them,” Finn shook his head, moving them further away from his little brother. “You’s is too little for these.” Finn told him, Leo pouting sadly before looking to his mother.

“Finn is right buddy.” April said, ruffling Leo’s hair as he cuddled into her sadly.

Leo whined before he decided to play with his mother’s hair instead. “I get them because I’m a big boy now eh mummy.” Finn said before stuffing a few lollies into his mouth.

“You are too big,” April answered. “Mummy wants you two boys to stop growing and stay my little babies forever.” April told him, cupping his cheek.

“No,” Finn shook his head. “We does keep growing mummy.”

“Hmm,” April exhaled as she glanced at the time on her watch. “Daddy should be home soon then we can go round and see little Jessica,” April told Finn, the family going to go and see her again on her first day home. “You excited to see your little cousin again?” April questioned. April and Finn had been to see Jessica at the hospital the day before, James staying home with a very grumpy Leo, Leo having more teeth cutting through and wasn’t in the mood to be out and about and around people.

“Yeah,” Finn nodded. “Why does Aunty Bee only get girls and you only boys?” Finn wondered.

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips. “I don’t know why bud,” April answered. “It just depends.” April answered, not really wanting to go into details about the birds and the bees with her four and a half year old.

Finn scrunched his face up. “Is you and daddy have another baby?”

“Not for a while,” April answered. “Why? Would you like mummy to?”

“Mmm,” Finn looked like he was really thinking about it. “I’d like a girl baby.”

“You want a sister?” April questioned and Finn gave a little nod. “Well mummy would like to have a little girl one day too,” April said. She loved her boys more than anything but hoped if she were to have another child that she’d get a little girl this time. “But not for a while.”

“No,” Finn shook his head. “Just me and Leo just now,” Finn answered. “A girl later ay?” Finn said and April nodded as she cuddled Leo tightly, Leo still paying with her hair.

Thank you for the comments.

one hundred and nine

One week after Jessica was born, Charlie went into labour. Born at just before quarter to 7 in the morning, baby girl Braxton was the spitting image of her father and big sister, the girls both looking exactly like Brax but with Charlie’s dark hair. Charlie was resting after the birth, while Brax was cradling his baby daughter in his arms as he was looking out the window of the hospital room into the early morning of the day. “Now your big cousin stole your name from you but don’t you worry my precious little girl we’ll get you a good name too, okay?” Brax spoke softly as he looked at his daughter, the baby’s little face scrunching up as she yawned.

“Oh my God will you get over that name thing already.” Charlie muttered as she sat up in the bed.

Brax stifled a laugh as he walked back over and sat down next to her bed. “I thought you were going to sleep.” Brax murmured.

“I couldn’t,” Charlie answered, glancing down at her daughter. Her eyes were stinging she was that tired, but she just couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t her longest labour, only 9 hours but of course pushing a baby out of you would always be tiring. “And Rubes will bring the kids in soon so I am never getting to sleep anytime soon.”

“I said to wait till after 9,” Brax said, glancing at the clock on the wall, seeing it was only 7.30. “Give mummy and daddy time with little Pickles.”

Charlie gave a weak smile. “So is mummy going to get to hold her?” Charlie questioned, looking at her baby daughter who was falling asleep in her father’s arms.

“Nah I think she’s pretty comfy with daddy,” Brax grinned. “Don’t want to disturb the little sweetie pie now, do we?” Brax said, love spilling out of him for his new daughter. “Now, my darling Pickles, you’ve got two sisters and two brothers. Ruby, Daniel and Kobe are going to be just great but then there’s Georgia,” Brax raised his eyebrows. “Oh what you need to learn about Georgia.” Brax said, Charlie giving a little laugh as she listened to Brax telling their newborn about her older sister, a smile etching on her face as she saw the big one on Brax’s.

Evan walked out of the guest bedroom of Charlie and Brax’s house. It was a room downstairs that used to be classed as the office/study/junk room, but had been turned into a guest room after Ruby had moved out, Ruby’s old bedroom now being a nursery for the baby. Ruby had been called when Charlie had gone into labour and both Ruby and Evan had come round to look after the kids. Evan gave a big stretch and a yawn as he walked into the kitchen, finding Ruby was mixing up the batter for pancakes. “Ohh pancake breakfast.” Evan grinned as he picked up some blueberries and ate them.

“They are for the kids’ pancakes,” Ruby slapped his bare chest. “Not you.”

“What so I don’t get pancakes?” Evan questioned and Ruby shook her head.

“If you want pancakes you can have them,” Ruby told him. “But you can make your own.”

“What?” Evan rubbed the back of his head in confusion. “You’re already making them for the kids. You can easily make two or three for me too.” Evan walked over to the fridge and took out the orange juice, taking a glass from the cupboard and pouring himself a drink.

“Yeah and you can easily do a lot of things too.”Ruby muttered.

“Rubes, seriously,” Evan exhaled. “What’s up with you these days?” Evan questioned. “You’ve been off with me all week,” Evan sighed. “And I’ve not done anything wrong so you’ll need to tell me.”

Ruby sniggered as she shook her head. She opened her mouth to talk but was cut off as the boys and Georgia came into the kitchen, Georgia still carrying around her Owlie. “Ruby?” Daniel questioned as they sat themselves up at the breakfast table. “Has mum had the baby yet?”

“She has,” Ruby answered. “Daddy called me about an hour ago,” Ruby said, all three kids’ little faces lighting up. “You got a new baby sister.”

“A girl.” Georgia screeched as she banged her hands against the table, Georgia obviously excited at her new sibling’s gender.

“Oh.” Daniel looked a little disappointed, the look on his face letting Ruby and Evan know that he was obviously hoping for a brother.

“Aww c’mon bud, you’ve still got a brand new baby sister,” Evan said taking a seat next to him at the table. “Still cool, huh?”

“I guess.” Daniel sighed as Ruby put the carton of juice on the table.

“What do you think bud?” Ruby questioned as she ruffled Kobe’s hair. Kobe looked down as he gave a little shrug, Ruby looked a little confused. Kobe had always been excited about the new baby but now that she was here it seemed he wasn’t so sure.

“Are we getting pancakes for breakfast?” Kobe questioned, seeing the mix on the worktop along with the plates of fruit and chocolate chips to put on the top.

“Yeah we are,” Ruby said as she stood back and walked over to the hob to start cooking them. “Then after breakfast we’ll go to the hospital too see little Pickles, yeah?”

“No,” Georgia screeched as she jumped down from the chair. “I see Pickles now.” Georgia looked towards the door, Ruby knowing she was about to make a break for it.

“No Georgia,” Ruby shook her head, gesturing for her to go back to the table. “Mummy and baby are resting right now. We’ll see them later.”

“But no,” Georgia stomped her foot. “Wanna see Pickles now.”

“You’ll see her soon, I promise you.” Ruby said, walking over and taking Georgia’s hand, leading her back to the table.

“So,” April exhaled as she sat down next to James on the couch. “Aubrey is supposed to be coming round in 30 minutes and I...I just want to...” April stopped talking a she looked down.

“We were 15 when we starting seeing each other,” James said, knowing what April was wanting to know. “We’d been together about 5 months before we....you know,” James raised his eyebrows. “We were together for about two years when we broke up.”

“Why did you break up?” April questioned. She wasn’t sure why this was bothering her so much but maybe she just needed to know these things to be sure it was okay for Aubrey to continue to plan the wedding.

“Uhm,” James glanced at April. “It was just....” James shook his head. “We were young.” James gave a little shrug and April looked into his eyes, her face furrowing a little as she tried to read him.

“James Andrew King,” April exhaled. “What happened?”

“I slept with someone else.” James murmured and April widened her eyes as she slapped him arm.

“You cheated on her?” April raised her voice.

“Yes but I...” James pursed his lips. “C’mon hun it was like a million years ago and we were just young kids, we weren’t ever going to last. We got together when we were teenagers for goodness sake. Who stays with the person they were with when they’re 17?”

“I was 17 when we started dating,” April sounded a little shocked at what was coming out of James’ mouth. “So what does that mean for us?” April questioned. “Are we not going to last? Should we just stop planning the wedding now?” April said, looking like she was going to well up.

“Of course not,” James moved closer to her and rubbed her arm. “I just meant,” James paused, his lips pursing. “What Aubrey and I had was nothing compared to what I have with you,” James told her. “We are in love, proper true love,” James told her. “We have the boys and all these plans, we.....we are meant t be. We...we are soul mates.”

April pursed her lips and was about to reply when Leo cries could be heard from the baby monitor. “You cheated,” April said as she stood up. “You....I......” April shook her head before leaving the room to see to her son.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Kristen, Sarah and Sabrina for the comments.

One hundred and ten

Ruby and Evan had taken the kids to see the baby. Ruby was cradling her sister in her arms, Georgia very much jealous that she didn’t get the first hold. She was a little comforted that she was getting cuddles with mummy instead but of course still had a pout on her face. “Emmi is such a cute name.” Ruby gushed.

“S’not Emmi,” Georgia shook her head. “She’s Pickles.” Georgia said.

“She’s not Pickles,” Brax laughed at his daughter. “That was just a nickname till she got here,” Brax said, leaning forward and rubbing her cheek. “Her name is Emmi Grace.”

“No,” Georgia shook her head. “She’s be my Pickles.” Georgia hit her hand against her chest. Charlie laughed as she ran her hand through Georgia’s hair.

“What do you boys think of your little sister?” Charlie questioned, the boys sharing a seat next to the bed. Kobe was looking down, not making any contact with the baby. He gave a little shrug, staying silent.

“She’s nice,” Daniel said, smiling as he looked at his new little sister. “I’ll maybe hold her later,” Daniel exhaled, happy to be just looking at little Emmi for now. “When will you get home mum?”

“Uhm, they want to keep us in for tonight,” Charlie said. “I think we’ll get home tomorrow.”

“Good,” Daniel smiled. Sunday was always a family day for them and he didn’t want this one to be any different. “We should have a day playing board games and hungry hippos and connect four and things.”

“Yeah,” Georgia screeched. “I be with Pickles.” Georgia said, looking at her baby sister.

“She’s too little to play,” Daniel laughed. “Mum will probably hold her.”

“No I wills.” Georgia said, hitting her hand against her chest.

Brax raised his eyebrows at his daughter before looking to Kobe, who was still looking down. “You okay Kobes?” Brax questioned, walking over to his youngest son and rubbing his shoulder. Kobe looked up to Brax before glancing at Emmi then looking to Charlie before looking at Evan.

“Can you take me for a juice and snack?” Kobe questioned.

“Uhm, sure I can,” Evan answered as he looked to Charlie, who gave a little nod of permission. “C’mon bud.” Evan held his hand out as he walked over to the door, Kobe jumping down from the chair and walking after him, the pair of them leaving the room together. Charlie and Brax exchanged a glance before looking to Emmi then back to each other.

“Mummy,” Georgia’s voice pulled Charlie from her thoughts. “Lemme hold Pickles.” Georgia pleaded.

Charlie glanced at Ruby before looking back to Georgia. “Careful then.” Charlie said as Ruby put Emmi into Georgia’s arms, Charlie making sure she was supporting her properly.

Kaya picked up the baby wipe and wiped over Jessica’s bottom. She discarded it to the side before lifting her up a little by the legs, taking out the wet nappy and putting a clean one underneath. She pulled at the tabs before folding the nappy over, sticking it down in place with the tabs. She closed the poppers on Jessica’s baby grow before she folded up the wet nappy and put into the nappy bag along with the baby wipe. She tied the bag in a knot before lifting Jessica into her arms, then picking up the bag. She walked over to the nappy bin and put it in before walking back over to the couch where Bianca had been sitting watching Kaya with her baby sister. “She’s all clean.” Kaya grinned as she sat down next to Bianca on the couch, cuddling into her a little.

“Great job,” Bianca told her elder daughter. “You do better than dad with nappy changing.”

Kaya giggled but looked pleased with the compliment. “But he is still the best,” Kaya said, Jessica snuggling up in her arms. “And you are the best mum in the world.”

“Jessica is very lucky then, huh?” Bianca questioned. “The best dad, mum and big sister in the world.” Bianca said, wrapping her arm around her daughter.

“And the best Auntie and cousins,” Kaya told her mother. “Will we see April and the boys today?” Kaya wondered, Kaya taken to calling Finn and Leo the ‘boys’ like the adults did.

“I don’t think so sweetie,” Bianca answered. “Her and James are busy today. Maybe we’ll see them tomorrow though.”

“Yeah,” Kaya smiled, enjoying spending time with her younger cousins, Bianca knowing Kaya liked to mother over them. “Maybe we can watch some movies or paint, oh can we paint?” Kaya gave her mother a pleading look.

“We’ll see,” Bianca yawned. “April might be busy but we can ask her later okay?” Bianca questioned and Kaya nodded.

“Or we can go to the park,” Kaya suggested. “Would be fun to let Jessica see.”

“Maybe,” Bianca said, Bianca not yet able to think about getting ready to go outside with Jessica. She forgotten how much new babies needed and nothing was really organised yet and Heath was still to get the pram out of the box from the garage. “Jessica is still very young though.”

“Okay,” Kaya frowned a little. “Do you think dad will play a game with me when he gets back?” Kaya questioned. Heath was out at the store buying some things they needed, the house running low on groceries as well as on nappies and wipes for Jessica.

“I’m sure he will,” Bianca smiled at her as she moved her hair from in front of her face. “Mummy needs to feed this one soon anyways so you and daddy can keep busy since you don’t have this little cutie to distract you.” Bianca said as she rubbed Jessica’s cheek, the little girl making a little noise as her head moved slightly, Bianca smiling down at her baby daughter as her heart swelled with love.

Aubrey was sat facing April and James. Leo was crawling around with a car toy in his hand and Finn was out for the day with Olive. “So, I wasn’t really sure I get a call back to be honest.” Aubrey exhaled, her gaze staying locked on April’s.

“To be honest I’m not sure why I asked you here,” April exhaled. “I don’t know if it was to continue planning the wedding or too...” April trailed off.

“You want answers about our past right?” Aubrey questioned. “You’re curious.”

“Jay told me all that.” April said.

“Did he?” Aubrey questioned. “You did?” Aubrey looked to James. “All of it. The real reason we broke up?”

“Yeah,” James answered. “I told her I cheated on you but that was my past. I’m not teenage James anymore.” James said, glancing at April as he spoke.

“So he told you who he slept with?” Aubrey wondered, glancing at April.

“That doesn’t matter,” James spoke up. “It was in the past. We’re not together anymore. She’s not going to know who it is anyways so what different does a name make?”

“Let’s ask April that.” Aubrey said, looking to her.

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips as she gave a little shrug. “I don’t think a name would make much of a difference,” April said. “I uhm....I’m more shocked that he cheated on anyone in the first place,” April said. “The Jay I thought I knew would never do that. He’s not....he’s not that guy,” April shook her head as James looked into her eyes, seeing how disappointed she was in him right now. “But I....I guess a name isn’t going to hurt either.”

“Her name was Louise,” Aubrey exhaled. “Louise Peterson.”

“Peterson?” April widened her eyes. “As in your last name Peterson?” April said, her eyes darting from Aubrey to James then back to Aubrey again. Aubrey gave a little nod. “He slept with your sister?”

“My cousin,” Aubrey answered. “The stupid slut she is.” Aubrey muttered.

“God Jay,” April shook her head. Hearing Jay was a cheat was bad enough but the fact that he cheated on his girlfriend with her own cousin sounded even worse. “I....sorry Aubrey but you should leave. I ehm....I don’t know if there will be a wedding for you to plan right now.” April mumbled before she left the room, not able to believe that the man she loved and wanted to spend the rest of her life with was capable of giving someone this much hurt.

Archived