Forever and Always

Thanks for the comments. :)

one hundred and thirty-one

Brax had felt groggy and tired after his first chemo session and had made it till around 9pm before going off to bed. Georgia had passed out sleeping on the couch, the kids always getting to stay up later as it was a weekend. Charlie, Daniel and Kobe were still playing hungry hippos, it very much a favourite, especially of Kobe’s. Emmi was sleeping up in Charlie and Brax’s room, Charlie keeping the baby monitor close to her so she could hear any crying. “Mummy,” Kobe looked up to Charlie, his tired little eyes lighting up a little at what he was about to say. “Remember eh, well remember when Evie said that I looked like daddy?” Kobe grinned, sounded best pleased with the compliment.

“I remember,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled Kobe’s hair. “Made you smile a lot, huh?”

“Yeah because well I’m not really from you,” Kobe exhaled. “But I wish I had been here forever.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Daniel told him. “You’ll be with us for the rest of your life,” Daniel assured him. “And you are a cool little brother.”

Kobe grinned at Daniel. “You’re the best for a big brother,” Kobe said. “Not like Adam and Sean,” Kobe shook his head, Charlie a little surprised he still remembered them but of course if they brought him torment, it wasn’t likely he’d forgot.

“But they weren’t real big brothers for you,” Daniel said. “They were foster brothers and were mean but I am your proper big brother because all the papers say so, right mum?”

“That’s right,” Charlie exhaled. “But, it’s not just about the papers saying it buddy,” Charlie rubbed his shoulder. “You are our son and Daniel’s brother no matter what.”

“Yeah. You’re my forever mummy,” Kobe crawled over to her and sat on her knee, Charlie wrapping her arm around Kobe as she kissed the crook of his neck. “I love being here.”

“And we love you being here,” Charlie told him, looking sideways at him as he yawned. “Maybe we should get you to bed soon, huh?” Charlie ran her hand through his head.

“Not me,” Daniel shook his head. “I want to stay up longer.”

“You can,” Charlie told him. “You go up though buddy,” Charlie tapped Kobe’s back as he stood up. “Brush your teeth and I’ll be up soon to tuck you in.” Charlie said.

“Okay,” Kobe answered. “Night Daniel.” Kobe said before running out of the room as Daniel replied with a goodnight.

“Can we play snakes and ladders?” Daniel questioned, giving his mother a pleading grin.

“Sure we can,” Charlie told him as she stood up. “Put this game away and get it set up. I’m going to put Georgia and Kobe to bed then I’ll be right back.” Charlie said as she walked over to the couch, lifting her daughter into her arms, Georgia not even stirring at having been moved.

James walked into the house, back home from his bouncer shift. He was surprised to see the light still coming from the study as it was near 4am so he expected April to be sound asleep in bed. “Hun,” James walked into the room, seeing April still typing away on her laptop. “It’s late. You should go to bed.”

April glared at James for a moment before looking back to the screen. “Don’t tell me what to do.”

“April,” James sighed as he walked over to her. “C’mon.” James put his hand onto her shoulder, giving her a gentle squeeze.

April pursed her lips. There was no doubt she was tired. “I just want to get it finished so I can spend the weekend with the boys,” April said. “I tried to play with Finn earlier but Leo started playing up and now Finn hates Leo even more and I....” April stopped talking as she shook her head.

“He doesn’t hate him,” James leaned down against the desk. “It’s just a phase. Leo’s getting more active and Finn senses more competition. Leo can do more now,” April scrunched her face up, not really believing James’ theory. “Look how about tomorrow me and Leo hang out and Finn can get some much needed mummy time?” James suggested. April gave a little nod, hoping all Finn needed was some special attention from April and that she wasn’t going to have a terror of a child from now on. “And hun,” James exhaled, knowing there was still a tension between the two. “You know I love you so much and I’d never do anything to jeopardise our family.”

April gave a little snigger. “Walked out when Leo had pneumonia, left the state when you paid off my cop ex, kissed someone else.....” April listed.

“C’mon hun, that’s all in the past and we’ve gotten over that,” James said. “And this kiss, I....it was milliseconds long,” James exhaled. “I don’t want to be with anyone but you,” James took April’s hand in his, lifting it up as he leaned his head down, placing a soft kiss onto it. “You must can see that.” James exhaled. April pursed her lips as she looked into his eyes. He worshiped her and really loved the boys, it was obvious and she did trust him, fully.

April nodded, her lips still pursed. “I know. It just hurts that she thought she could make a pass,” April said. “It’s like there must have been some sort of signal.”

“Maybe she’s just deluded in the head,” James shrugged. “I never gave her any signal. I never.” James repeated.

April exhaled lightly. “It’s a good job I love you James Andrew King.” April mumbled.

James gave a little smile as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as he pulled her closer to him, lifting her up from the chair. “Mmmm.” April moaned a little as the kiss became more intense, her hand sliding down his chest and cupping him from over his pants. James pulled at her singlet as it was tucked into her skirt, lifting it up over her head, the kiss only breaking for seconds before their lips crashed together again. His hands wandered back down her back, cupping her bum cheeks, squeezing them tightly. April moaned again as she felt him hardening against her grip. He lifted her up and span around, sitting April down on the desk as she unbuttoned his pants, pushing them down, his boxers going with them, releasing his hard self. James’ hands wandered up her thighs, pushing back her skirt before he grabbed the rim of the panties and pulled them down. He pulled her a little closer to him, the kiss only growing in passion, as April pushed her hands against James’ bum cheeks, opening her legs a little wider, giving him permission to enter.

Ruby popped the pill into her mouth before hiding the pill pack back in her bag. She walked out of the bedroom and down the hall, into the kitchen to see Evan was cooking her breakfast. “You are cooking me breakfast?” Ruby looked a little shocked.

“Well you are giving me a baby,” Evan grinned as he kept mixing the scrambled egg in the frying pan. “It’s the least I can do.”

“I’m not pregnant yet.” Ruby said, that pang of guilt in her stomach only getting larger.

“Hey I’ve got great swimmers,” Evan grinned as he took the egg from the heat and put it over the already made toast. “You’ll be pregnant soon.”

“You know you have great swimmers?” Ruby looked a little confused. “You’ve got previous girlfriends pregnant, have you?” Ruby said as she walked over to the table and took a seat, seeing Evan had already poured some orange juice for her.

“Well no,” Evan gave a little laugh as he took the plates over to the table, sitting down on his usual seat. “But it’s just a hunch.” Evan took the tomato sauce and squeezed some over his egg before reaching for the aioli, squeezing that over his eggs too. Ruby scrunched her face up at the concoction before picking up her knife and fork, cutting through her egg and toast.

“I see,” Ruby answered before she took a mouthful. “So,” Ruby was keen to change the subject away from baby making. “What do want to do today?” Evan looked at Ruby with a suggestive grin. “Besides having sex,” Ruby murmured. “Again.” Ruby exhaled, Evan already waking Ruby for some early morning trying.

“I dunno,” Evan shrugged, taking a mouthful of his breakfast. “I thought you wanted to go see how your dad was after his first chemo session yesterday?”

“I do at one point,” Ruby answered. “But we don’t need to be there all day.”

“Well I’m sure we can come up with something to do for the rest of the day.” Evan grinned before taking a mouthful of his orange juice.

“Or well maybe we can just hang out at mums,” Ruby exhaled and Evan looked at her questioningly. “Well why not?” Ruby questioned. “The boys love it when you are around and me, mum and little Gee can have some girly time.” Ruby suggested.

“Sounds good.” Evan exhaled before continuing to eat his breakfast.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one hundred and thirty-two

“Finn,” April spoke softly as she gently shook his shoulder. “Finn bud, it’s time to get up,” April said, it being after 9.30 and Finn still not awake. He always slept in later at weekends but never usually much after 9. “Sweetie.”

Finn moaned as he rubbed over his eyes. “Mummy.” Finn didn’t look impressed that he had been woken up.

“C’mon buddy.” April lifted him up so he was sitting up in his bed.

“What’s that?” Finn pointed to something in April’s hand. She handed it out so Finn could see it and he looked a little confused. “It one of my trains?” Finn questioned, taking it into his hand.

“Uh-huh,” April nodded. “I thought we could take a trip today,” April told him. “This is a big clue to where.”

Finn scratched the side of his head. “To a train?” Finn said.

“Yeah,” April gave a little laugh. “I am going to take you to Sydney to a train museum,” April said, Finn’s little face lighting up. “You can see all the old steam trains and you even get to ride on one.” April widened her eyes as she spoke, Finn gasping in response.

“Wow really?” Finn questioned. “A real steam one?”

“Yeah.” April nodded her head.

“But Leo will come?” Finn’s expression changed to a sad pout.

“No,” April answered. “He’s going to stay here with daddy. They’ll hang out with Gamma today.” April patted down his bed hair as she spoke, Finn’s little eyes lighting up again.

“Wow really just me and you will go?” Finn gasped again.

“Just me and you bud,” April told him, smiling at the joy this little trip had brought to her eldest son. “How does that sound?”

“Yeah,” Finn jumped up from the bed and jumped to the floor in a thud. “But we still see Gamma too?” Finn questioned, of course it being a Saturday and the family always going to see Olive on a Saturday.

“Yeah we will go when we get home,” April told him, her son running over to his drawers and pulling out a pair of underwear before opening the next drawer, starting to throw out all his T-shirts. “Buddy what you doing?” April questioned, seeing Finn was making quite the mess.

“Looking for my Thomas Tank t-shirt.” Finn replied, more and more t-shirts being flung to the floor.

“Let mummy do it,” April said, walking across to his drawers. “You are making a mess.”

“But I’m just too excited.” Finn squealed as he jumped up and down, his fists clenched as he shook in excitement.

“Well I am glad you are happy but we don’t need to make a mess,” April told him. “Pick all these up, good boy.” April said, finding his Thomas Tank t-shirt. She kept it in her hands as she walked over to the wardrobe and took out a pair of his shorts, before leaning down and grabbing him some shoes. She turned back around, smiling to see him putting all this t-shirts back into his drawer.

“When will we leave?” Finn shrieked, still not containing his excitement.

“As soon as you are dressed we can go.” April told him.

“Let’s hurry then.” Finn said as he tried to get his pyjamas off as quickly as he could, wanting to get to the city to have a day with his mummy at the train museum.

Brax scrunched his nose up at the smell coming from his daughter. “Well that’s not a very nice good morning to daddy, is it?” Brax said, pulling a wipe from the pack and wiping Emmi’s bum. “You are supposed to leave these ones for mummy’s nappy changes.” Brax said, taking another wipe from the pack.

“Mummy changes enough smelly nappies,” Brax looked around as Charlie walked into the nursery. “You are definitely a good few behind.”

“It’s not my fault she pooped twice in the space of an hour yesterday,” Brax said as he took a third wipe, getting the last of her bum clean before reaching for a new nappy. “And that hour just so happened to be when I was getting drugged up.” Brax gently lifted Emmi a little by the legs so he could pull out the dirty nappy and put the clean one in its place.

“Well you’ve got all the nappies today so enjoy,” Charlie gave a little grin as she tickled Emmi’s cheek with her index finger. “So Emmi boo you can have as many poopies as you want because daddy is in charge today.” Charlie cooed.

“Oh Charlotte,” Brax laughed as he closed the tabs on Emmi’s nappy. “Emmi and I are already in agreement that it’s one poop per day for daddy.” Brax said, pulling down Emmi’s baby grow and fastening the buttons back the together before he lifted her up into his arms.

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head as she rubbed Emmi’s back; Emmi’s snuggling up against Brax, Charlie seeing how tiny she looked in his muscular arms. “Don’t you start making all these deals with daddy.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well daddy is her favourite.” Brax gave Charlie a cheeky grin.

“Nah,” Charlie shook head. “I think mummy is her favourite right now,” Charlie said. “Mummy has these.” Charlie pointed to her breasts.

“Well little Emmi Grace isn’t the only one who likes those,” Brax gave Charlie a cheeky grin. Charlie gasped as she slapped his arm. “Hey, I’m holding the baby. You can’t abuse me right now,” Brax stifled a laugh at the look of un-amusement on Charlie’s face. “Besides, if the choice was between you and me, you’d be my favourite too.” Brax said as he leaned down at placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deep a little.

“Mummy,” Georgia ran into the room, Charlie and Brax pulling apart. “Oooh,” Georgia sang. “Is I getting another sister?”

“No.” Charlie laughed as she answered her daughter.

“Oh,” Georgia frowned. “Eh Ruby n Evan here.” Georgia pointed out of the room.

“Visitors Emmi boo,” Brax said, rubbing his daughters back, looking down to her to see her eyes were falling, like she was on the brink of sleep. “It’s no time for sleep girl,” Brax said. “You’re sister and brother-in-law are here to pay you a visit.” Brax said, walking out of the nursery, Charlie and Georgia following behind him.

Bianca put her phone down before going back to eating her lunch. Heath gave her a questioning look, of course only hearing half the conversation but knowing it was something to do with Kaya. “Oh Kaya is sleeping over at Cassie’s again tonight.” Bianca told him, Kaya having been at a sleepover the night before and Cassie’s mother had just rang to say Cassie had requested Kaya sleep over again, and Bianca had said it was fine as long as it was okay with her.

“Losing her to her friends already,” Heath sounded a little saddened. He’d missed having Kaya around the house the night before and now she wasn’t even going to be home that night either. “She’s 8, not 18.” Heath mumbled.

“Don’t look so glum,” Bianca stifled a laugh. “Besides you still me and little Jessica.” Bianca gestured over to the moses basket where their youngest was sleeping.

“Jessica is a month old,” Heath exhaled. “It’s not like she can play Wii with me or anything.”

“I can play Wii,” Bianca retorted. “And it will be nice to have the night to ourselves again,” Bianca said. “Well, us and the baby,” Bianca once again glanced at the moses basket once again. “I mean now she’s got her comfort of the dummy she sleeps well enough so it’s not like we’ll only have a crying baby to deal with all night.”

“Maybe we can take an early night then.” Heath gave her a suggestive grin.

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “No we can’t.” Bianca knew what Heath was getting at but having just given birth 4 weeks ago, she wasn’t ready to be having sex again.

“Didn’t think so.” Heath mumbled, looking a little angry.

“Hey, if you’d just pushed a baby out of you, you wouldn’t want anyone going near you for a while either.” Bianca defended herself.

“I know I know,” Heath exhaled. He’d be lying if he said he didn’t miss sex but he knew right now that Bianca wasn’t ready to be having sex again. “So anyways, how about after lunch we take the little one out for a walk and maybe we can get Chinese takeout and rent some movies for tonight?” Heath suggested.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Bianca smiled before continuing to eat her lunch.

one hundred and thirty-three

Finn was half walking, half running in excitement, his little hand in April’s as he pulled her behind him. “Calm down buddy,” April stifled a laugh at her sons excitement. “The trains will still be there if we are a few minutes later.” April said.

“No, we need to see them now,” Finn told her, pulling on her to make her walk faster. He ran through the already open door of the museum and up to the counter. “Tickets please. A mummy and a me.” Finn said, hitting his chest as he tiptoed up, still not really able to see much over the counter.

April laughed at her son as she fished her wallet from her bag. “One adult and one child.” April said, already opening her wallet and taking out her bank card.

“Mummy is taking me to see all the trains and we will go on a train and baby Leo is at home with daddy,” Finn said, smiling up at the lady selling the tickets. “Just me and mummy.”

“Wow, lucky you getting some special time with mummy, huh?” The lady smiled as Finn nodded vigorously, the lady moving her gaze to April, still smiling. “How old is he?”

“Four.” April answered.

“No mummy,” Finn gasped, looking shocked with his mother. “I 4 and a half.” Finn corrected.

“Oh right, sorry,” April ran her hand through his hair. “He’s four and a half.”

“Well buddy since you are under 5 you get to go in for free.” The lady said, Finn looked up at April with a grin.

“That means you have more moneys for the gift shop.” Finn’s grin grew larger and April laughed as she pinched his cheek.

“So,” The lady pursed her lips to stop herself from laughing. “You want the combo with train ride?” The lady questioned and April nodded, putting her card into the machine and pushing in her code to pay. The tickets printed out and the lady handed them out, Finn taking them from April, wanting to be in charge. “Enjoy your day.”

“Thanks,” April smiled, looking down to Finn. “What do you say Finn?”

“Thank you,” Finn said before running off to the entrance doors. “Hurry mummy, let’s go.” Finn gave a little jump as April caught up with him, knowing she was going to have one excited little boy all day.

“What’s wrong with her?” Evan questioned, Emmi having been crying for a while now, not able to be settled.

“Sometimes babies just cry.” Brax shrugged as he was trying to comfort Emmi. She wasn’t due a feed, she was burped, clean and at the perfect temperature.

“Kind of annoying,” Evan exhaled. “Although maybe I need to get used to hearing a baby’s cry.” Evan mumbled.

“Oh yeah,” Brax raised his eyebrows, looking to his sort of son-in-law. “Something you are Ruby wish to share with us?” Brax questioned.

Evan looked around from the living room, towards the kitchen where Ruby was with Charlie, helping her make lunch before looking back to Brax. “We are trying.” Evan spoke quietly, although with Ruby not even being in ear short, there was no need.

“So maybe Pickles is crying because she’s not going to be the baby of this family for much longer.” Brax joked, lightly rocking Emmi in his arms.

Evan gave a little laugh. “As much as it’s seeming to upset her, I hope so.” Evan smiled.

“Well, you’ll be great parents,” Brax told him. “Oh Emmi Grace,” Brax looked back down to his daughter. “What’s all this fuss?”

“Daddy,” Kobe ran across from playing with Daniel. “She is to upset.”

“She is, huh buddy?” Brax questioned, his gaze going from his son to his daughter and back to his son.

“Gimme her,” Kobe took Emmi from Brax, looking down to his baby sister as he sat down on the floor. “Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky, twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are.” Kobe sand softly to his baby sister.

“Buddy,” Evan bent down and patted Kobe’s back. “Way to go. You got Emmi to stop crying.” Evan smiled at the boy as he looked pleased as punch at the fact he stopped his little sisters cries.

“Cos she likes me.” Kobe grinned.

“Got a babysitter anyways.” Brax said, gesturing to Kobe. Evan gave a little laugh, but hoped that soon, they would occasionally need a babysitter.

“Oh she stopped.” Georgia said, looking up to Charlie who was about to leave making lunch to see to her baby daughter. Georgia picked up more cheese, stuffing it into her mouth as she swung her legs, Georgia sitting up on the worktop.

“You stop stealing all the cheese,” Charlie moved the plate out of Georgia’s reach, Georgia giving a little scowl. “There will be none left for the toasties.” Charlie said, Charlie making cheese and ham toasties for everyone, while Ruby prepared a side salad.

“You can have some tomato.” Ruby handed a slice out but Georgia screwed her face up, shaking her head at the offering. Charlie and Ruby laughed, Georgia not to keen on eating her fruits and veggies just yet.

“You’ll eat some missy,” Charlie said, lightly rubbing her daughter’s cheek. Georgia scowled at her mother again, her head still shaking. “Or no dessert.”

Georgia frowned. She and Charlie had already made cupcakes that morning, this the promise for dessert after lunch. “I mades thems.”

“Yeah and after lunch you can have one,” Charlie said, spreading a little butter onto the slices of bread. “But you can’t just eat cupcakes all the time.”

“I could,” Georgia nodded. “They’s the yummiest,” Georgia patted her tummy as she looked down to it. “Yummy in my tummy.”

“In this tummy?” Charlie tickled Georgia, Georgia giggling as she wriggled on the worktop. “This one?” Charlie continued to tickle her daughter.

“Mummy.” Georgia shrieked and Charlie pulled her hand away, seeing Ruby had taken over and had put the first of the toasties into the toastie machine.

Charlie lifted Georgia from the worktop, putting her back to the floor. “Go tell the boys to wash up for lunch.” Charlie said, Georgia giving a little nod as she ran from the room.

Ruby looked round to her mother as they waited for the first toasties to be ready. “Do you think Evan will ever ask me to marry him?” Ruby

questioned, Charlie a little surprised at the questioned that seemed to come out of left field.

“Uh,” Charlie rubbed the back of her head. “I think he will one day,” Charlie answered. “Is marriage something you want?” Charlie questioned, but before Ruby could answer, Charlie spoke again. “Well I know you want to get married. I mean is it something you want to see happen in the near future?”

“I’d like it too,” Ruby answered. “But it seems -”

“Charlie can I help with anything?” Ruby was cut off as Evan walked into the kitchen.

“Eh,” Charlie looked to the table before looking back to Evan. “You can set the table if you want,” Charlie said and Evan nodded, walking over to the drawer to take out the placemats. “So, what were you saying?” Charlie looked back to her daughter.

Ruby sucked in her bottom lip as she watched Evan for a moment. “Nothing. Never mind.” Ruby muttered, going back to making the toasties as Charlie didn’t push it from her daughter and instead walked over to the fridge to get the juice out.

“Hurry mummy,” Finn shrieked as he turned around, dancing impatiently on the spot as he waited for her to catch up. “Mummy.” Finn sounded exasperated as he jumped up and down, pointing to the big red steam train as it sat on the tracks.

“I’m coming,” April caught up with him, her hand rubbing over his head. “The train won’t leave without us sweetie.”

“But just....I....it’s there......see.....we go on,” Finn spoke in a scramble, his heart racing at the thought of not only going on a train, but a real steam one. “Eeee.” Finn screeched as he ran forward again, wanting to get on the train right away.

“Wait on mummy buddy.” April said, catching up with Finn once again. She took a tight hold of his hand so he couldn’t run off again, Finn jumping around next to his mother, his little face lighting up as he was about to ride the train.

one hundred and thirty-four

Charlie was sitting in the living room, everyone else gone to bed. Brax didn’t make it much passed 9pm again, going up to bed as he was almost sleeping on the couch. Old re-runs of Friends were playing on the TV, but she wasn’t paying too much attention, deciding that this alone time would be a good time to pamper herself a little, not having done much with her appearance but shower in the 3 weeks since Emmi’s birth. She was painting her nails a nice shade of blue, going with the same colour for her nails once she was done with her feet. “Mummy.” Charlie looked up as she heard her daughter’s little voice. Georgia walked over to her, Owlie tucked under her arm as she dragged her owl blanket behind her, climbing up onto the couch.

“What you doing awake missy?” Charlie glanced at her iPhone, seeing the time was almost 11.

Georgia shrugged. “My eyes opened,” Charlie stifled a laugh as she patted down her bed hair. “You do mines.” Georgia held her hands out, wanting her nails painted too.

“Okay,” Charlie didn’t see any harm in painting her nails. “You pick a colour,” Charlie leaned forward and handed Georgia her bag of nail polishes, Georgia lifting out each one, checking out the colour. She eventually settled on a light pink colour, Charlie actually glad she’d picked something quiet light. She painted her final nail before screwing the bottle shut, leaving it on the table, so she could paint her hands once she was done with Georgia. She turned a little in the couch so she could see Georgia better but was careful not to move her feet to much, wanting the nail polish to dry without smudging. She unscrewed the lid, taking Georgia’s hand in hers and painting her first nail. Georgia gave a little giggle as she watched. “It’s not tickly.” Charlie gave a little laugh, amused at her daughter. It didn’t take her long to paint each hand, her 3-year-old only having small fingernails.

“It’s fun,” Georgia said, staring at her hand with great interest as Charlie painted her nails. “Mummy what we do tomorrow?”

“Uhm,” Charlie gave a little shrug as she took some more nail polish onto the brush. “I don’t know. What do you want to do sweetie?”

“The zoo.” Georgia widened her eyes as Charlie took her other hand in hers, starting to paint those nails.

“Hmm,” Charlie sounded unsure. “I don’t know about that.”

“Yeah,” Georgia answered. “Make daddy happy.”

“Daddy is happy.” Charlie sounded a little confused at her daughters comment as she painted Georgia’s pinkie, Georgia staring down at her now painted nails, a grin on her face.

“He be sick,” Georgia spoke sadly. “The amimals will make him smile.”

Charlie smiled as her daughter as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “We’ll see what daddy says, okay?”

“Yey.” Cheered, clapping her hands together.

“Watch,” Charlie pulled her daughters hands apart. “You don’t want to smudge your pretty nails, do you?” Charlie said, Georgia shaking her head as she held her hands still.

“You do my tootsies too?” Georgia questioned, moving on the couch so her feet were on show, still very careful not to move her hands.

“Your tootsies.” Charlie repeated, looking down to her daughters little feet.

“Yeah,” Georgia answered. “Thens I be all pretty for the zoo.”

“I didn’t say we could go to the zoo yet,” Charlie answered, Georgia scowling a little. “You want the same colour?” Charlie asked and Georgia nodded her head. Charlie smiled as she started to paint Georgia’s toenail. She knew it was late and that she would have sent Georgia right back up to bed, but right now, she was enjoying their little bit of mother daughter pamper time.

“Seems like he had a blast today.” James yawned as he walked into the bedroom from taking Finn back to bed, Finn still very excited about his day, waking up to tell James all about it again.

“He did,” April answered. “I did too, actually. It was nice to have some time just me and him.”

“Even though it was off doing boys’ stuff?” James questioned as he slipped back into bed.

“Girls can like trains too.” April answered.

“I guess,” James exhaled. “Besides the next baby will be a girl, huh?” James questioned, his hand going onto April’s stomach.

April widened her eyes as she looked round to James. “There won’t be a next one for a while,” April told him. They both wanted more children and would both love a little girl, but right now, April was content with the boys and wanted to focus on uni and of course getting married. “But, yes. I do hope we have a little girl in the future.”

“God the boys would dote on her.” James smiled.

“You think?” April questioned. “Finn’s not exactly the greatest big brother at the moment, is he?” April sighed.

“Well no, but,” James pursed his lips. “It’s only been in the last week or two he’s started playing up and he got that day away with you today,” James continued to rub April’s stomach as he spoke, his hand slipping under the rim of her singlet so he was touching her skin. “I’m sure he’ll be back to being a great big brother again soon.”

“Hmm.” April sounded hopeful.

“So anyways,” James exhaled. “Are we getting a new wedding planner?” James wondered, now Aubrey was no longer their wedding planner he wondered if April wanted to hire someone else.

“I don’t know,” April gave a little shrug. “I think....well, we don’t really need a wedding planner, do we?” April questioned. “It’s probably just a waste of money.”

“I think so, to be honest,” James answered truthfully. “But we decided to get one to make it easier on you, no?” James recalled. “You have uni full time and the boys to look after.” James said.

“I know but I....” April pursed her lips. “Maybe this was a sign we’re not ready to be married.”

“What?” James sounded shocked.

“Well I don’t know,” April sat up more in the bed, James’ hand falling from her stomach. “Stuff happened, we don’t have a wedding planner anymore. Maybe that means we’re not ready.”

“It was just Aubrey trying to get between us,” James sighed. “Don’t get second thoughts or cancel the wedding because of one silly kiss.” James couldn’t believe what he was hearing from April. She thought she was ready to become Mrs King.

“I’m not getting seconds thoughts, I just think maybe now’s not the right time.” April spoke quietly, not really sure how she felt about marriage right now anymore.

“Is this about trust?” James questioned. “Because you know you can trust me 100 per cent, right?” James said, hoping this little kiss with Aubrey hadn’t put doubts in her mind with him and not just getting married now.

“I do trust you,” April murmured. “Like I said, I just....” April gave a little shrug. She opened her mouth to talk again but was interrupted by the sounds of Leo’s cries coming from the baby monitor. They usually did controlled crying when Leo cried through the night but right now, with his new teeth coming through, April couldn’t bear to leave him in pain. “I better go see to him.” April said, getting out of bed and walking out of the bedroom, down to the nursery.

Evan lay back down on the bed next to Ruby, turning to face her and tracing his hand over her stomach. He took a moment to get his breath back, before talking. “What about Thatcher?” Evan questioned, still caressing her stomach.

Ruby screwed her face up. “I thought you liked Alexander for a boy?”

“I did. I still do but we can have options, right?” Evan questioned, his chest still moving up and down a little more rapidly after their time of passion.

“I guess,” Ruby mumbled as she gave a little nod. “But I’m not even pregnant yet. Don’t you think it’s too soon to be talking about names?” Ruby questioned.

“Not really, to be honest,” Evan answered. “What’s wrong with being prepared?”

“Nothing I guess.” Ruby spoke quietly. She did feel guilty about what she was doing, but now Evan thought they were trying, she couldn’t bear to tell him otherwise, scared for his reaction.

“I can’t wait, Ruby,” Evan smiled, his hand patting her stomach. “A little us. I mean, maybe you are pregnant already.” Evan’s smile grew larger at the thought.

“I highly doubt that.” Ruby mumbled.

“What did you say?” Evan couldn’t quite make her out.

“Listen babe, I...” Ruby took a deep breath. “I ehm...” She paused, feeling her heart beating faster. “I’m tired,” Ruby yawned, unable to fess up. “Can we just go to sleep now?”

“Sure,” Evan answered, giving her a smile. “Love you.”

“Yeah I love you too.” Ruby felt a pang of guilt inside her as she turned to her side in the bed to sleep.

one hundred and thirty-five

Brax put his afternoon pills into a ziplock bag, double checking his pill separator to make sure he hadn’t left any in there. “You sure you are up for this?” Charlie questioned as she walked into the kitchen, Emmi snuggled up in her arms.

“I don’t want to disappoint the kids.” Brax murmured, taking Emmi from his wife, wanting some cuddles with his youngest.

“They’ll get it over,” Charlie told him. “And it’s not like we’ll never take them to the zoo. We can go another time when you feel more up to it.”

Brax shook his head. “I’m okay,” Brax answered. It had been a couple of days since the chemo but he was really knocked back by it. He hoped after his next session he wouldn’t be as bad, given he now knew what to expect. “And maybe the fresh air will be good for me anyways.”

“Maybe,” Charlie repeated, thinking it might actually be good for him. “Well we don’t need to stay long so if you’re not feeling great just let me know and we can -”

“Charlie,” Brax stopped her from talking. “Babe seriously, I’m fine. I want to go and have a nice day with the kids. I don’t want this stupid cancer to stop me from having fun.” Brax loved that Charlie was looking out for him but he wasn’t going to stop doing anything he would normally do.

Charlie gave a little smile as she stepped closer to him. “No. No you don’t,” Charlie exhaled as she leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “You want me to drive?”

“Hmm,” Brax scrunched his face before shaking his head. “I’ll drive.”

Charlie opened her mouth to talk again but was cut off when Georgia ran into the room. “Daddy,” Georgia shrieked. “You see my nails?” Georgia questioned, showing off her nails for him to see.

“Yeah,” Brax answered, Georgia having been showing him her nails every chance she got all morning. “They look lovely.” Brax gave her a soft smile.

“Yes,” Georgia looked very pleased with her pink nails before looking down to her feet, pointing her foot out in front of her. “My tootsies too.”

“I see,” Brax smiled at his daughter, glad they had a constant distraction from his health with four kids in the house. “You ready for the zoo?”

“Yeah,” Georgia nodded, looking all pretty in her little pale yellow dress and with a white cardi over it, white sandals to match. Charlie had put plait bunches in her hair, the little girl looking as cute as a button. “We go’s now?” Georgia questioned.

“Sure,” Brax told her. “Go make sure those brothers of yours are ready.” Brax gestured out of the room, Georgia running off a she shouted for Daniel and Kobe.

Leo was sitting on the play mat, staring down at Jessica, not really sure what to make of her. Bianca and April were sitting on the couch, having a little catch up, Heath having taken Kaya out for the afternoon, glad that she was now back from Cassie’s house. “So, how’s the wedding planning going?” Bianca questioned.

“It’s not,” April shook her head. “Uhm,” April pursed her lips, staring at Leo who hit the little flower rattle, much to Jessica’s amusement as she gurgled. Leo gave a little scowl, holding the rattle still with his hand. April stifled a laugh before looking back to Bianca. “We don’t have a wedding planner anymore,” April sucked in her bottom lip. “Uhm, she made a pass at James.”

“Oh my God, no.” Bianca widened her eyes in shock.

“Mmm,” April nodded. “He kissed her back.”

“No.” Bianca sounded even more shocked.

April gave a little shrug. “He said only for like a millisecond but still, I....” April exhaled. “He keeps doing stupid things.”

“Well in comparison to the others is a little kiss the worst?” Bianca questioned. “He probably pulled away as soon as he realised her lips were on his.”

“I trust that,” April gave a little nod at Bianca’s theory. “But maybe not having a wedding planner anymore....I dunno, maybe it’s a sign we aren’t ready.”

“Well I disagree,” Bianca answered. “I’ve not seen anyone as in love as you and James,” Bianca spoke softly. “You’ve got the boys, you’ve got passed some rough times, you’re still so much in love,” Bianca leaned forward rubbing her sister’s arm. “It’s okay to feel nervous about getting married but it doesn’t mean you need to put the wedding on hold.” Bianca said, seeing the look on her sisters face as she thought about her wedding.

“And you know that from experience, do you?” April murmured.

“I was close to marrying Liam,” Bianca exhaled. “If we didn’t find out I was pregnant I think we would have married,” Bianca remembered her time with her ex-fiancé. “And even with Heath now, we’re not even talking about wedding planning but I’m still nervous for when that day does come but it doesn’t mean I don’t want it too,” Bianca said. “It’s a nice kind of nervous, no?”

April gave a little nod. “Like when I had the boys nervous.”

“Exactly,” Bianca smiled at her little sister, rubbing her arm gently. “And you don’t need a wedding planner,” Bianca exhaled. “Or at least a qualified one,” Bianca added. “You have uni all day, I...well I look after Jessica. I’m sure between her naps I can help plan a wedding for you.”

“You’d do that for me?” April questioned.

“Of course,” Bianca nodded. “As long as you’re still not pushing for the double wedding.” Bianca mumbled.

April gave a little laugh as she shook her head. “We don’t have to have a double wedding.” April said. Bianca giving her sister a smile before looking down to the kiss, Leo still looking very unsure as he kept his gaze on Jessica.

Charlie and Brax were standing at the edge of the enclosure looking down to the meerkats. The kids were running around the edge, trying to get the meerkats to do the same. Brax laughed at his kids, dodging in and out of the other guests to the zoo as he rubbed Emmi’s back, Emmi snuggled up against him in the baby carrier. Georgia and Kobe had both wanted balloons and they’d been tied around the handle of the pram for safe keeping. Georgia had chosen a koala balloon, while Kobe had of course picked the wombat one, the boy still having a liking for the animal. “They’re crazy.” Brax laughed as the kids were looking down to the meerkats, shouting at them to follow them.

“Well they do have you as their father.” Charlie murmured.

Brax gasped, mocking offence. “Excuse me but you missy aren’t exactly tame.” Brax said, wrapping his arm around Charlie, Charlie resting her head against his shoulder.

“Well that must be on your influence.” Charlie retorted.

Brax stifled a laugh. “Whatever you think,” Brax mumbled, Charlie glancing up at him and hitting his chest. “Oh hey, you had any little chats with Ruby lately?” Brax questioned.

“I’ve had quite a lot of chats with her,” Charlie answered. “She is my daughter, you know.”

“Ah that’s how you know her. I wasn’t so sure,” Brax joked. Charlie gave a little laugh before giving Brax a questioning look. “Yesterday when they were visiting Evan mentioned they were trying for a baby,” Brax told her, Charlie widening her eyes in shock. “Well I guess by the look of your face she hasn’t mentioned anything to you.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “She was about to say something but they stopped talking when Evan came into the room.”

“Well clearly she was going to say something different,” Brax murmured. “I mean, Evan obviously knows they are trying.”

“Yeah,” Charlie looked a little puzzled. “Well she asked me if I ever thought Evan would ask her to marry him,” Charlie said and before Brax could reply she spoke again. “But why wouldn’t see tell me they were trying?”

“Well would you tell your mother you were trying for babies?” Brax questioned.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “I guess I would have if she was around,” Charlie answered. “Let her know she was possibly about to become a grandmother.”

“Well maybe they want to keep it a surprise for you. Wait till she is actually pregnant before she says anything.” Brax suggested, once again glancing at the kids who were still trying to get the attention of the meerkats.

“Well then you should have kept that big mouth of yours shut eh?” Charlie said, once again hitting his chest.

“Probably.” Brax muttered, giving a little yawn. Charlie looked into his eyes, seeing he was still pretty tired looking.

“How about once the kids are done trying to train the meerkats we go for lunch?” Charlie questioned. “You can have a rest.” Charlie spoke softly, rubbing his chest.

“Sounds good.” Brax answered, placing a kiss on Charlie’s head as they went back to watching their children.

one hundred and thirty-six

Three weeks later and Brax was back at the hospital for his next chemotherapy session. It was a little earlier in the day this time, the kids still being at school during the appointment. Charlie walked back into the room from changing Emmi’s nappy to find Brax reading from Cosmopolitan magazine. She looked over his shoulder, reading over the title, seeing Brax as reading an article on menstruation. “All clued up on your period?” Charlie questioned, rubbing his shoulder as she sat back down on the chair next to Brax’s.

Brax stifled a laugh as he put the magazine down. “Had to entertain myself somehow when you were gone changing little Pickles,” Brax said. “You lady need to better your pooping times,” Brax leaned down a little and rubbed Emmi’s hand with his finger. “This is a time when you are supposed to be with daddy. You and mummy need to keep me company when I get my horrible chemo,” Brax said, still rubbing her hand. Emmi glanced at Brax, gurgling before giving him a big gummy smile, a new trick she’d mastered over the last few days. “That’s a lovely smile for daddy,” Brax cooed, Emmi giving more gurgles, continuing to smile. “She needs a haircut already.” Brax said, smoothing down her hair. It stayed down for a moment before sticking back up again.

“Nooo,” Charlie moaned as she moved Emmi closer to her like she was protecting her from Brax. “We’re not getting rid of her cute baby hair.” Charlie said.

“I know we wouldn’t,” Brax answered. “Looks like a little rocker with a mohawk,” Brax laughed. Charlie looked down to Emmi, stifling a laugh at Brax’s comment. “You going to make millions and look after mummy and daddy when you are older?” Brax questioned, once again smoothing down her hair.

“Well we do have 5 kids,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m sure we’ll be looked after.”

“Yeah,” Brax spoke quietly, giving a little nod. Charlie knew he was worried about actually being here when the kids were older but she didn’t want to talk about that too much. Thinking about a life without Brax was just too hard for her to take. “Speaking of being looked after,” Brax started. “You know how I’m not working as much right now?” Brax questioned, Charlie giving a little nod. Brax cut back on his shifts at the restaurant due to being tired a lot, not able to work as many hours right now, not wanting to drive himself into even more ill health. “Well I was thinking of asking Heath to help out more,” Brax said. Heath helped out every now and then but Brax was thinking about giving him a more permanent position at the restaurant. “What do you think?”

“Yeah go for it,” Charlie answered. It was no secret Heath didn’t like his trawler job so she was sure he would gladly accept the offer. “What kind of role would you want him to have?” Charlie wondered.

“Like assistant manager or something,” Brax shrugged. “He’s good....great when he does come in a help out and he’s got great rapport with the rest of the staff,” Brax said. “I really want him to be a part of my business.”

“Yeah you don’t have to convince me,” Charlie said. “I’m surprised you haven’t thought about asking him before now, to be honest.” Charlie moved Emmi a little in her arms, the little girl wriggling to get comfy again.

“Well it did cross my mind, to be honest,” Brax said. “But I dunno, I just never got round to asking him.”

“Well I think you should ask,” Charlie gave a little smile. “And you’ll probably pay him better than the trawler boat too, right?” Charlie questioned, Brax giving a little nod. It wasn’t like Heath and Bianca were struggling but a little extra money was always good.

“We’ll see how I feel after this but maybe we can pay them a visit later.” Brax said, Charlie giving a little nod, looking back down to Emmi who was gurgling in her arms.

Ruby and April were having a coffee and a catch up at April’s house. Evan and James had gone out fishing, Finn going along with them, excited at the thought of catching the dinner. Leo was crawling around the floor, playing with his toys. “Mmmm ma.” Leo crawled to April, pulling himself up on the couch. He babbled as he held up something in his hand.

“What you got buddy?” April took the item from Leo’s hand, Leo scowling as he tried to get it back. April widened her eyes, seeing he had a packet of pills in his hand. “Ruby,” April spoke in a panic. “Has he taken any?” April questioned, handing the pack to Ruby. Ruby looked to them, shaking her head.

“No he’s not.” Ruby told her, looking down to her bag that was sitting on the floor next to the couch, the contents having been all pulled out by Leo.

“You’re sure?” April questioned, sticking her finger into Leo’s mouth, Leo whining as he pulled his head away.

“Yeah.” Ruby gathered everything back into her bag. April gave a sigh of relief, looking pleased her son hadn’t taken anything. Although it was only birth control and probably wouldn’t have harmed him in anyway, she was still glad he hadn’t taken one.

“Why are you even still on the pill?” April questioned. “I thought you two were trying.”

Ruby widened her eyes, surprised April knew. “Did he tell you that?”

“Jay told me,” April answered. “Evan asked him how long it took for us to get pregnant with Leo, but well, he wasn’t planned so Jay wasn’t much help,” April ran her hand over Leo’s blond locks as she spoke. “But I don’t get it. If you are trying then why are you on the pill still?”

“Because I,” Ruby pursed her lips. “I don’t want a baby,” Ruby looked to Leo as she spoke, the little boy giving her a grin, showing off the teeth he had. “Not yet.” Ruby said, her lips pursed.

“Well you have to tell Evan that,” April sounded shocked to learn that Ruby was deceiving Evan. “Rubes you can’t just lie to him.”

“I know and don’t think I don’t feel guilty because I do,but,” Ruby pursed her lips. “I’m afraid that if he finds out the truth he’ll dump me and I don’t want to lose him.”

“But Rubes,” April was gobsmacked. “What’s going to happen when you don’t get pregnant? 5, 6 months down the line he’s going to worry and probably suggest some testing or something.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “We agreed we’d give it 3 months and if I wasn’t pregnant it just wasn’t supposed to be right now.”

“But you aren’t even trying, are you?” April sighed. “You can’t give him false hope like that,” April said. “Rubes, if you’re not ready you have to be honest with him.”

“I tried that,” Ruby sighed. “I told him I wasn’t ready but he kept asking and I....I love him and I don’t want to lose him. What’s wrong with giving him a little bit of hope, just till I am ready?” Ruby questioned. “If I tell him what I’ve been doing I know that’ll be it for us. It’s too late to tell him now, it’s been a month already for goodness sake,” Ruby said. “I....Dex and I broke up for a while because of the whole baby thing and I can’t let it happen again. Especially because I ended up losing Dex for good.”

“But Rubes -” April started, trying to get her friend to see what she was doing was wrong.

“April please,” Ruby cut her off. “I know what I am doing. Just....this doesn’t have anything to do with you so just.....just stop trying to tell me what to do.” Ruby raised her voice a little, April sighing, knowing she was fighting a lost cause and wasn’t going to be able to get Ruby to see any sense.

Thanks Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover for commenting. :)

one hundred and thirty-seven

Heath was sitting on the floor, looking down over Jessica who was on her play mat. He was rocking the rattle for her, Jessica gurgling happily, her little arms waving. He looked up at there was a knock at the door, before it opened and he saw Brax walking into the house. “Hey bro.” Heath said standing up, lifting Jessica into his arms.

“Hey sweetie.” Brax cooed at Jessica, gently cupping her forehead and he leaned down at kiss it softly.

“Listen mate I know we are close but I think calling me sweetie is over stepping the mark,” Heath joked, Brax stifling a laugh as they sat down on the couch. “How did the hospital go today?” Heath questioned.

“Fine,” Brax exhaled, looking around the room, thinking it was pretty quiet. “Bianca and Kaya not around?” Brax wondered.

“Bianca is taking Kaya to her dance class,” Heath answered. “It’s actually the first time she’s left Jessica alone with me.” Heath sounded both a little sad that Jessica was 7 weeks old and it was the first time he’d be left alone with her but also happy that he was no trusted to be alone with Jessica, even if it was only for the 10 minutes Bianca would be gone for.

“Don’t take it to heart eh,” Brax told him. “It’s just a mother baby separation anxiety thing,” Brax said. “Charlie’s the same.”

Heath gave a little nod as he looked down to Jessica, the little girl giving her father a gummy smile. “You ever reply to those two timing slime balls?” Heath questioned his tone bitter sounding. He’d spoken to Brax about the wedding when they’d received there invites nearly a month ago now, but then nothing else was every said about it.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “We’re not going,” Brax told him, Heath giving a sigh of relief. “We said it was because we have a new baby and of course my cancer was used as an excuse,” Brax exhaled. “But really, what they did wasn’t cool and I’m not going to sit there watching them commit to each other, when they know what they did was wrong.” Brax said.

“I’m still thankful it happened though eh,” Heath murmured, still glancing down to Jessica, not being about to imagine a life without her. “Anyways, you call round for any reason?”

“I have something to ask you,” Brax told him, Heath widening his eyes, wondering what Brax was about to ask. “You like helping out at the restaurant, right?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Heath answered. “It’s great working there.”

“Good,” Brax gave a little smile. “How would you like to be assistant manager?”

“Me, really?” Heath sounded a little surprised with the offer.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “Don’t look too surprised. You are great at the job,” Brax said. “And you know I’m not working as much right now and I want to make sure someone I trust is there keeping the place going.”

“So, you’d want me there permanently?” Heath questioned. “Like I’d need to quit my job?”

“Mmm,” Brax nodded. “If you don’t want to do it I’m going to ask Dennis but I wanted to give you the first offer.”

“Of course I want too,” Heath answered with a grin. “Hey what do you think of that Jessica?” Heath cooed down at his daughter. “Daddy is going to be a manager.”

“Assistant manager.” Brax corrected.

“A manager all the same,” Heath said. “So,” Heath stopped looking at his daughter and glanced back at his brother. “Let’s talk pay cheques.” Heath said, a cheeky grin forming on his face.

Ruby flushed the toilet as she wiped her hand across her mouth. She scrunched her face up as she put her hand onto her stomach, hoping she wasn’t being sick because she was pregnant. “You okay baby?” Evan was standing in the hallway as Ruby emerged from bathroom.

“Yeah.” Ruby answered, feeling better after having been sick.

“You were sick though, eh?” Evan questioned. “I was about to say it could be morning sickness but it’s already after 4.” Evan mumbled, following her down to the living room.

Ruby stifled a laugh. “You don’t just get morning sickness in the morning you idiot,” Ruby retorted. “You can get it any time of day.”

“So it might be because you are pregnant?” Evan’s face lit up at the though.

“I....I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. She knew it would be highly unlikely that she was pregnant but there was always that slight chance. “It’s probably just from the fish we had last night,” Ruby said. “I don’t think it was cooked properly.”

So you are saying I can’t cook?” Evan retorted.

“I don’t think the fish was fully cooked, no.” Ruby shook her head as she sat down on the couch. Evan taking a seat next to her.

“Well sorry,” Evan mumbled. “But let’s hope it’s not food poisoning and it is a little junior in there,” Evan smiled as he rested his hand on her stomach. “A little us. Can you imagine how cute she would be?” Evan questioned, the smile on his face only growing as he thought about their baby. “You’re brown curls and cute little button nose,” Evan said dreamily. “We’re going to have a whole football team.” Evan said, Ruby widening her eyes at the comment.

“Is that so?” Ruby questioned.

“Hmm.” Evan nodded.

“What happened to the three kid plan you had?” Ruby questioned. “The twins then a little boy?”

“We can still have that,” Evan answered. “But then we can always add more to the brood,” Evan smiled, his hand once again rubbing over her stomach. “You think we should buy a test?” Evan wondered.

“Like you haven’t bought one already?” Ruby questioned.

“I’ve not, surprisingly enough.” Evan replied.

“Well I’ve only been sick once and don’t have any symptoms so let’s leave it a few more days.” Ruby said, standing up from the couch and walking towards her bedroom, hoping that the fact she was just sick didn’t mean that she was pregnant.

Charlie put her hands onto Brax’s chest, pulling away from the kissing. “Babe,” Charlie shook her head, Brax sighing in frustration as he rolled back to lying down on his side of the bed, his head banging angrily onto his pillow. “Getting like that isn’t going to help.” Charlie said, turning on her side and resting her elbow against the mattress, propping her head up with her hand. They’d been getting intimate for the first time since Emmi’s birth but Brax was unable to get excited.

“Why can’t I....” Brax shook his head, not finishing the sentence. “I have the most gorgeous wife, I...I want you. Why is it not....” Brax trailed off again.

“It’s just the drugs you are on right now,” Charlie murmured, the fingers from her other hand tracing over his chest. “It’s okay. We don’t have to have sex.”

“But I want too.” Brax sounded frustrated.

“I know,” Charlie pursed her lips. “But babe it’s clearly not going to happen tonight.” Charlie continued tracing his chest as he sighed.

“I’m 33,” Brax exhaled. “33 and I can’t get it up.” Brax banged his hand against the mattress, showing his frustration.

“It’s not going to be forever,” Charlie murmured. “We’ll have sex again, I can assure you,” Charlie spoke softly. “But for now I’m happy with just cuddles.” Charlie said, moving herself closer to him, their bodies entwining together. Brax exhaled loudly, knowing there wasn’t really anything he could do and right now, they weren’t going to have sex.

“Goodnight baby. I love you.” Brax said as he placed a soft kiss onto her head as they both cuddled in to sleep.

Thank you Kristen, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments. :)

one hundred and thirty-eight

Leo was in tears as he crawled across to April, pulling on her leg as he got himself to standing, his cries seeming to only get louder. “Mmmm ma,” Leo whaled as he hit his hands against her legs. “Euggg....” Leo whined, desperate to be picked up.

“Buddy,” April looked down to him. “Mummy is busy.” April said having a huge pile of laundry to iron, fold, then of course put away.

“Maaa,” Leo schreeched. “Uhh.” Leo held his hands up, wanting picked up.

“You go play with Finn, hmm?” April questioned. “Good boy.”

Finn looked up from playing with a jigsaw at the mention of his name before going back to putting it together, not attempting to help his mother in getting Leo away from her. “Maaa.” Leo whined, hitting his head against her as he continued to cry. He’d been really clingy with April all day, April not able to do much of the housework with Leo being attached to her hip.

“Leo,” April raised her voice, getting annoyed he wouldn’t leave her alone for 5 minutes. She bent down and picked him up, Leo’s cries immediately stopping as he cuddled into her. She walked him over to Finn and bent down, placing Leo on the ground. He stared silently at April for a moment before he once again broke into tears. “Finn bud, please keep Leo occupied so mummy can do the ironing.”

“He doesn’t want to play with me.” Finn replied, not looking up from piecing his jigsaw together. April started to walk back over to the ironing board as Leo crawled after her, his screaming only appearing to get louder.

“What’s going on in here?” James questioned, walking into the living room, back from being down at the neighbours fixing their car for them. Their nearest neighbours were about a 5 minute drive away, but James had just popped down as a favour, the neighbours sometimes doing that for each other.

“He is driving me crazy,” April sighed, Leo once again pulling at her. “He’s been like this all day,” April sighed. “James had been out at a car event most of the day, only coming home to get his toolbox before going to the neighbour’s house. “Can you please come and get him.” April said, James walking over and lifting Leo up, the boys screams increasing.

“Mmm ma.” Leo held his hands out, wanting to go to his mother.

“Daddy,” Finn spoke over Leo’s screams. “What you got?” Finn pointed to a bag of lollies in James’ hand.

“Mrs Connelly gave me them for you boys.” James told him, Finn’s little eyes lighting up.

“I have some now?” Finn jumped up as quickly as he could and ran over to James, Leo wriggling in his arms, still holding his hands out for April.

“No,” April answered. “You can get some after dinner,” April said, as she took Leo into her arms, Finn pouting sadly before running back to his jigsaw. “Looks like I’ll need to finish this later.” April mumbled, looking to the ironing as she rubbed Leo’s back, the little boy now as content as ever now he was in his mother’s arms.

“Alright, it’s not really that big a deal is it?” James questioned. “You can do it when the boys are in bed.”

“Oh I can do it. Of course you won’t offer.” April muttered.

“Hun, calm down,” James spoke softly, leaning forward and rubbing her arm. “God, what’s got into you? You’ve been moody and irritable for a couple of days now.”

“Nothing.” April answered.

“It’s something. Are you getting your lady time?” James questioned, his head cocking to the side a little.

“No,” April raised her voice. “There’s nothing wrong. I just....” April trailed off. “Well if I can’t finish the ironing I may as well make a start to dinner. Make yourself useful and switch the iron off.” April murmured as she walked out of the living room, Leo still happily sitting in her arms, his little head resting on her shoulder.

Brax walked into the house and through to the living room after his afternoon shift at the restaurant. “Hey.” He leaned down in front of Charlie who was sitting on the couch feeding Emmi and placed a soft kiss on her lips before collapsing down onto the couch next to her, his head resting back again the cushions, his eyes closing for a moment.

“How was work?” Charlie questioned.

“Quiet,” Brax yawned. “But Heath was off from the trawler so he came in and I showed him more of the ropes.” Brax said, his eyes once again closing for a moment.

“You should go up for a nap,” Charlie could see Brax was tired. “I’ll call you when dinner is ready.”

“Nah,” Brax answered, rubbing his hands over his face a few times. “I’m okay,” Brax said. “It’s awfully quiet. Where are the minions?”

“Daniel is at VJ’s for dinner,” Charlie told him. “Kobe and Georgia have gone down to the lake to skim stones.”

“Ahh just took a wander down there themselves?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Kobe is very sensible. I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Charlie said, keeping a straight face. Brax cocked his head to the side, his eyes looking unsure. “Rubes came around after uni,” Charlie told him. “They wanted to skim stones so Ruby said she’d take them.” Charlie said, looking down to Emmi who took a break from taking her milk for a moment before going right back to it again.

“I see,” Brax mumbled, his eyes looking all heavy. “Little cold out there to be skimming stones if you ask me.”

“It’s not even cold,” Charlie replied. “You’re just feeling the cold a lot more right now.” Charlie told him.

“I guess that’s true,” Brax exhaled. “Oh,” Brax suddenly remembered. “I got a phone call from the hospital when I arrived at work this morning,” Brax said, Charlie pursing her lips, wanting him to keep talking. “They need to change the date for my next chemotherapy session,” Brax told her. “They want to change it from the Friday to the Saturday.”

“Well that’s okay, right?” Charlie questioned.

“But the next date was the 23rd November,” Brax said. “And they want to change it to the 24th.”

“Well that’s okay,” Charlie said again. “We can go in on the Saturday.”

“But it’s the 24th of November,” Brax repeated. “You remember what happened on that day, right?” Brax questioned, his heart racing a little, worried Charlie had forgotten.

“It’s our first wedding anniversary,” Charlie said, realising what Brax was getting at. “But baby it’s okay,” Charlie spoke softly, her hand rubbing his thigh. “We can still celebrate with you in the hospital. You getting chemo is pretty important right now.”

“But that’s not very traditional, is it?” Brax gave a sad sounding sigh.

“Since when were we a traditional family?” Charlie questioned. “A traditional family is mother, father, son, daughter a pet dog and a white picket fence....that’s not us,” Charlie shook her head. “You adopted Daniel, we both adopted Kobe, Georgia was born out of wedlock,” Charlie exhaled. “Screw tradition. Let’s do things our way.”

Brax stifled a laugh as he gave a little nod. “Yeah, well it’s been working so far huh?” Brax said, Charlie giving a little nod as Brax leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

Ruby and April were in the bathroom, staring down at the positive result. She couldn’t believe she was seeing the word Pregnant staring up at her. She’d tried everything she could to not let that happen right now. “Well I guess it was meant to be.” Ruby murmured.

“It’ll be okay.” April spoke quietly, her eyes glued to the result.

“Will it?” Ruby questioned.

“Well it has to be. We can’t change the result.” April pursed her lips, not really sure what else she could say. The result was positive and nothing could change that.

Thank you for the comments :)

one hundred and thirty-nine

Ruby woke up to the smell of bacon, sausage and egg. She rolled out of bed and walked down the hall, into the kitchen, seeing Evan plating breakfast up. “I was just about to call on you,” Evan spoke with a rather chirpy voice. “Take a seat,” Evan speedily walked over to the table and pulled out Ruby’s seat, Ruby looking rather puzzled as she walked over and sat down, Evan pushing the seat into her as she did so. “I hope you are feeling up to eating something like this.” Evan said, thinking about Ruby’s sickness the day before.

“I feel fine.” Ruby answered as Evan walked over to the kitchen worktop and picked up the two plates. Ruby picked up the glass of already poured orange juice and took a drink as Evan walked over to the table, putting the plate down as he took a seat.

“So, what’s new?” Evan questioned as he covered his breakfast in tomato sauce and then aioli.

Ruby screwed her face up a little. “Nothing.” Ruby answered.

“Really, nothing?” Evan questioned. “Because I.....well, I know,” Evan grinned. “And I am so excited. I can’t wait for this Rubes. Too see your stomach grow and to talk too little junior.”

“Whoa whoa,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “What makes you think I am pregnant?” Ruby questioned. “I just had that one little bit of sickness.”

“Yeah but I saw the test,” Evan answered. “It fell from the trash bag when I was changing it yesterday,” Evan told her, Ruby widening her eyes as her lips pursed. “I know that this is a little bit scary but -”

“Evan the test wasn’t mine,” Ruby told him. “I’m not pregnant.”

Evan’s face dropped. “Who else would take a test in our apartment?” Evan questioned.

“I...it’s....” Ruby exhaled.

“And well, maybe you are still pregnant. You were sick, after all,” Evan said. “You should take a test.”

“I’m not pregnant,” Ruby shook her head, feeling her heart beating a little faster. “I....I can’t be pregnant Evan.”

“Well you can be,” Evan exhaled. “We’ve been having unprotected sex for a month now.”

“No,” Ruby spoke quietly, not able to look Evan in the face as she finally found herself admitting her deceit. “I.....I’m so sorry but I never came off the pill.” Ruby told him, feeling like a massive weight had been lifted from her shoulders after she’d said it.

Evan stifled a laugh of disbelief. “Are you actually being serious right now?” Evan questioned, feeling anger build up inside him. “You’ve lied and deceived me for a whole month?” Evan raised his voice as he pushed the chair back, sending a screeching noise into the room as he stood up from the chair.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby stood up also. “But I told you I wasn’t ready and you just kept pushing and I didn’t want to lose you and -” Ruby felt herself welling up, hating seeing the look of pure upset on Evan’s face.

“Yeah well you just have.” Evan spat as he walked over to the front door.

“Ev,” Ruby chased after him. “Evan please wait.” Ruby shouted as Evan slammed the door shut in her face.

April flushed the toilet, wiping her hand over her mouth. She walked over to the sink and washed her hands before cupping them under the tap and collecting some water before drinking it. She looked to the side of the sink where the test was sitting, it now the 5th positive result she’d had. “You are going to be late for uni,” James said, startling April as he walked into their en-suite. She turned to face him as she picked up the test, both of them with their eyes on it. “I thought I heard you being sick,” James said as he walked over to her. “I’m guessing it’s positive?”

“The fifth one I’ve taken.” April murmured, looking like she was about to cry.

“Hun,” James spoke softly as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a hug. “It’s going to be okay.” James said, rubbing her back as he spoke.

“Is it?” April questioned, pulling back and looking up into his eyes.

“Mmm hmm,” James nodded. “Remember you freaked a little when you found you were expecting Leo and you wouldn’t change him, would you?” James questioned, April shaking her head. “We manage fine.”

“I’m not saying we won’t can manage with another,” April murmured. “It’s just.....this is my 3rd unplanned pregnancy.” April said, her heart beating faster.

“Don’t look at them as unplanned,” James said. “Just....earlier than expected because kids were always in our plans,” James tucked her hair behind her ear as he tried to keep her calm about this. “You are the best mother to the boys and this little one is going to be lucky to have you,” James smiled, his hand gently rubbing over her stomach. “And this shows everyone how much we love each other,” James’ smile grew into a rather large grin. “Another bubba.” James sounded excited, even though the addition wasn’t in their immediate plans; they were going to have more children in the future.

April pursed her lips, pulling herself away from James’ grasp. “I need to get to uni,” April exhaled, looking to the bathroom door as both boys appeared, Leo having pulled himself up to standing, was leaning against the door frame, a big grin on his face as he showed off his lovely white teeth. Finn was there with his Spiderman bag pack over his shoulders, ready for his morning at day care. April walked over to them, lifting Leo into her arms, placing a kiss on his cheek. “Mummy will see you later,” April said, putting him back to the floor. Leo frowned as he crawled after her, April picking up her school bag and folders from her bed. “You ready buddy?” April looked to Finn, April driving him to day care before going to uni.

“Yeah,” Finn answered, Finn always excited to go to school for the morning. “See you daddy n Leo.” Finn waved before running from the room, April and James hearing him thumping down the stairs.

“Ma.” Leo held his hand out before crawling after April.

“You stay with daddy little bro.” James said as he lifted Leo into his arms, Leo whining as his gaze followed April.

“See you later.” April looked to James before walking out of the room, going down to stairs to drive Finn and herself to town so they could go to school.

“Again daddy again.” Georgia shrieked, jumping up and down.

“I can’t,” Brax shook his head, his breathing all heavy. “Daddy needs to sit down for a minute.” Brax said, taking a seat on the couch, out of breath from all the playing with his daughter. Georgia furrowed her eyebrows at him before climbing up onto the couch, her hand resting on his chest.

“Daddy you is breathing lots.” Georgia said, looking a tad worried for her father.

“Mmm,” Brax nodded, his eyes closing as he rested his head back against the couch. “Just give me 10 minutes.” Brax said, his eyes staying shut. Georgia stood up next to him on the couch, her little hand prying his eye open.

“Georgia,” Charlie said as she walked back into the room, Emmi now awake from her nap, lying in her mother’s arms. “Leave daddy alone.”

“I think I kill him.” Georgia gasped, sounding worried for her father.

Charlie stifled a laugh as she put Emmi down on the play mat before walking over to her husband and daughter. “You’ve not killed him,” Charlie assured her, her hand gently rubbing Brax’s chest, feeling it rising up and down as he breathed. “Daddy is just tired a lot right now.” Charlie explained, his cancer pills always making him a little drowsy.

“Cos he got sick.” Georgia said, her hands still over his eyes.

“Uh-huh,” Charlie said as she moved Georgia’s hand from his face, letting him have a little nap in peace. “We played jumping and dancing and helicopters.” Georgia said as she jumped down from the couch, landing on the floor with a thud.

“I know,” Charlie smiled. “You had lots of fun,” Charlie said, Georgia loving getting ‘helicopters’ from her daddy, where Brax would hold her above his head and spin her round and round. “But it’s made daddy awfully tired huh?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Georgia answered. “But he wake up ay?” Georgia questioned, still looking a little concerned.

“He will sweetie,” Charlie answered. “C’mon, let’s go show Emmi how to play with the play mat.” Charlie said, her and Georgia walking over and sitting down next to the play mat, Georgia immediately knocking the rattle, squeezing the little squeak ball and pointing the little butterfly mirror in Emmi’s direction, wasting no time in showing Emmi what she was supposed to do.

Thanks CharlieAndBraxLover and Kristen for the comments. :)

one hundred and forty

April, James and the boys, and Heath, Bianca and the girls had gone out for dinner to celebrate Heath’s new job. “Do you fancy some wine?”Bianca questioned, looking over the wine list to her sister. “I’m going to get just one glass.” Bianca said, Bianca of course breastfeeding so not about to start drinking too much.

“No.” April answered as she placed Leo into the high chair before taking a seat. She reached for a breadstick and broke it up before putting it onto the tray of the high chair, Leo picking up a piece in each hand, staring down at it to investigate.

“Aw please,” Bianca said. “Don’t make me drink on my own.”

“Jay and Heath will be getting beers I am sure,” April said, glancing at Finn and Kaya who were using their breadsticks as swords. “You two stop playing with your food.” April told them off, the kids sulking before they both started eating their breadsticks, munching down on them like they were chipmunks.

“One drink,” Bianca said. “We are having a celebratory meal so you need to have a wine. It would be rude not to and besides, when do you ever get the chance to go out and have a few drinks?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t care for doing that,” April shrugged. “And the kids are with us anyways so it’s not like we can get stupid.” April said, picking up her glass of water and taking a drink.

“Mama.” Leo reached is hands out, wanting a drink. April took the glass to his mouth, giving him a little drink of her water.

“I wasn’t planning on getting stupid,” Bianca sighed. “I’ve got a seven week old daughter,” Bianca glanced at the pram where Jessica was sleeping. “I just suggested it would be nice for us to have one drink together.”

“Well I....” April shook her head. “I’m sorry.” April of course not able to drink now giving she was pregnant, but she wasn’t about to share the news with anyone else just yet.

“Mama,” Leo said again, handing her out a piece of the breadstick which had been in his mouth. She took it from him and put it down on the table cloth. “Mama.” Leo said as his little hands banging against the high chair tray.

“What buddy?” April questioned as she ran her hand over his soft blond hair.

“Ehh.” Leo pointed to the breadsticks on the table, April leaning forward and handing him one. Leo grinned as he got what he wanted. He smacked it against the high chair tray, the breadstick splitting in two. Leo giggled hysterically before bringing one piece up to his mouth and started crunching on it, the little boy looking very content.

“Oh Bee Bee,” Finn screeched. “I forgots,” Finn said, looking round to his Auntie. “Mummy and daddy is having a baby.” Finn said his eyes widening as he spoke.

“Finn Joseph,” April looked alarmed. “What makes you say that?” April said, knowing that Bianca knew Finn was telling the truth by the look on both her and James’ faces.

“I hear you an’ daddy talking today,” Finn said. “I want a sister okay?” Finn told them. Kaya and Heath both sitting open mouthed at the news.

“Is he right?” Bianca questioned, seeing now why April didn’t want to have a wine with her. April pursed her lips as she gave a little nod. Bianca shook her head in disbelief before she leaned forward in the table and slapped James’ arm, hard.

“Ouch.” James whined as Leo burst into hysterics at his father being hit.

“Will you leave her alone.” Bianca scolded, Kaya widening her eyes as she looked to Heath, Heath holding his index finger over his mouth, telling Kaya to keep quiet.

“What?” James protested. “It takes two.”

“Yes but -” Bianca started to talk but was cut off when Heath stepped in.

“Look guys,” Heath banged his hand off the table. “Let’s not do this here.”

“Exactly,” April exhaled. “We are here to celebrate Heath’s new job, so.....let’s just not discuss this.” April said, pointing to her stomach.

“But another baby is exciting.” Kaya said, her hands clasping together.

“Not now, cupcake.” Heath shook his head, hoping to steer the conversation away from April’s unplanned pregnancy.

“Evan,” Ruby jumped up from the couch as the door to the apartment opened. It was after 7 but this was Evan just getting home for the day. “Where have you been? I tried calling heaps.”

“Out and about.” Evan mumbled.

“I’ve made dinner,” Ruby said. “It’s heating in the oven so will be -”

“I don’t want your food.” Evan told her, walking down the hall to their bedroom. Ruby following after him.

“Evan,” Ruby exhaled. “I know you are mad and you have every right to be but you have to see this from my point of view too.” Ruby said, watching as Evan took the suitcase down from the top of the wardrobe and placed it on the bed, zipping it open.

“No I don’t.” Evan seethed as he walked over to the wardrobe and opened the door.

“Please don’t leave,” Ruby instantly felt herself welling up. “Babe we can talk about this,” Ruby said as she walked over to him, putting her hand onto his arm, stopping him from reaching for any items of clothing. “We can -”

“No,” Evan shrugged himself from her grasp. “You lied to me and deceived me. I can’t forgive what you have done. I....I can’t Ruby. I can’t trust you.” Evan shook his head, not able to look Ruby in the eye as he would break down at seeing her in tears.

“But I love you so much,” Ruby sniffed back. “Please just.....let’s talk about this. Please.”

“No,” Evan yelled. “We’re done. Over. Finished.” Evan said, taking some clothes from the wardrobe and starting to pack them away in the suitcase.

Charlie was up the stairs bathing Georgia. Brax was in the living room with the boys and Emmi, the boys playing a skating game on the Xbox as Brax watched as he had cuddled with Emmi. “Nice trick bud,” Brax said, Kobe grinning at his father’s words. “Got more points that Daniel now.” Brax said, the boys having a battle to get the most points in 5 minutes, doing tricks on whatever they could around the town on their skateboards.

“Not for long,” Daniel said, getting his character to jump upon onto a park bench, sliding along the edge on the skateboard before doing a few kick tricks before landing. “I’m the best at this game.”

“No no,” Kobe said. “I’m getting better now.” Kobe said, Daniel looking to Kobe for a second, his face scrunching up.

“Well then I am still best.” Daniel said before looking back to the game.

“Oh Emmi don’t you bicker like that with Georgia when you are older, okay sweetie?” Brax spoke softly, looking down to Emmi as he spoke. Emmi stared up at him, her big green eyes all wide as she focused on his gaze. She gave a little gurgle before she smiled up at him. “Because being honest she is pretty sassy so I’m not sure a sweet little button like you won’t match her,” Brax said. “I don’t.” Brax spoke softly as Emmi just continued to stare up at him with a smile of her face. “You are so precious.” Brax cooed leaning down and placing a kiss on her forehead. He looked up as he heard the front door closing, wondering who had just entered their house. He rose to his feet, staring at the boys before walking out of the living room. “Hello?” Brax said, stepping out into the hall, feeling a little relieved to see Ruby walking down the hallway, but wondering why she was pulling a suit case behind her. “Rubes, sweetie what’s wrong?” Brax questioned, seeing her eyes were all red and blotchy and her face tearstained.

“Brax.” Ruby squeaked as she walked into him, careful not to squash Emmi but wrapping her arms around him, showing him she needed a hug. Brax wrapped his arm around her as he started to softly rub her back.

“What is it sweetheart?” Brax questioned continuing to rub her back as he placed a soft kiss on her head.

Archived