Forever and Always

Thank you Kristen, Melbelle94 and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :)

one hundred and forty-one

Ruby was settling herself into the guest bedroom, looking up as she heard a soft knock on the door. “Sweetie what’s happened?” Charlie questioned, walking over to her daughter and enveloping her in a hug.

“I messed up,” Ruby mumbled into her mother’s chest. “Evan and I are over.”

“Rubes,” Charlie gently rubbed her back before pulling back from the hug, looking at her daughter’s tearstained face. “What did.....you want to talk to me about it?” Charlie questioned, the both of them taking a seat on the bed.

“I just wasn’t ready,” Ruby murmured as she wiped the tears from her cheeks. “Ev wanted to try for a baby,” Ruby explained. “I told him I wasn’t ready but he kept going on and on so in the end I said I’d try but it was really to only get him to stop going on about it,” Ruby sniffed back as she looked up to her mother. “I never came off the pill.”

“And now he’s found out?” Charlie mumbled, Ruby giving a little nod.

“I never meant to hurt or deceive him,” Ruby spoke through more tears that fell down her cheeks. “But I just wanted more time.”

Charlie exhaled lightly. “Well I’m not about to say what you did was okay because I think you already know that it wasn’t,” Charlie said, her hand still rubbing Ruby’s back. “Lying to your partner about something as big a trying for a baby,” Charlie shook her head, disappointed in her daughter. She thought she’d raised her better than that. “But at the same time I’m glad you stood your ground because there is no way you should have a child when you know you’re not ready.”

Ruby gave a weak smile at her mother’s words. “Do you think he’ll forgive me?” Ruby questioned shyly.

Charlie shook her head as she shrugged. “I don’t know,” Charlie answered, knowing she may as well be truthful with her eldest daughter. “Right now Evan just needs time to get over this deceit.”

Ruby sucked in her bottom lip as she nodded, knowing her mother was right. “It’s funny because I did this not to lose him but I did end up losing him,” Ruby stifled a laugh. “I...I knew it was wrong. I always knew it was wrong to lie to him like that but he was just so desperate for a baby and I....I didn’t....” Ruby stopped talking, her head shaking at herself.

“You were just trying not to lose him.” Charlie said.

“Do you think I should call him? I want to call him.” Ruby said, about to get up from the bed to find her phone.

“No,” Charlie pulled her daughter back down to sitting. “You need to give him space,” Charlie told her. “That’s the best thing you can do right now.” Charlie said, Ruby giving a little nod, Charlie seeing she was about to break into tears again, pulled her into another hug.

April slipped under the covers and shuffled over in the bed, resting her head on James’ chest as he wrapped his arm around her. He placed a soft kiss on her head as he lightly caressed her arm before moving his hand onto her stomach. “So, another baby.” James sounded thrilled at the news.

“I can’t...” April shook her head. “Apart from my birthday last year when we had that blip we’ve always been safe,” April said. “I don’t get how I keep getting pregnant.”

“Well we have sex,” James told her. “So there’s always that chance. And remember, around 3 weeks ago now when I came home from work and you were still in the study?” James questioned. “We made up after the whole Aubrey thing and....” James trailed off. “I didn’t suit up.”

“Oh yeah,” April remembered that night. “I just....Leo isn’t even one yet and I’m already expecting again.”

“He’s one in three weeks hun,” James laughed. “And what does it matter how old little bro is?” James questioned. “I think it’ll be awesome for them to grow up so close in age,” James said. “And I know we are still young and I’m sure people will have something to say about us having our 3rd baby but so what?” James said. “I think we do a pretty awesome job with those boys and this baby is going to be lucky to be in our family,” James said, his hand rubbing over her stomach. When April didn’t reply, James spoke again. “And Finn didn’t seem to upset at the news.” James said.

“If he gets a sister.” April mumbled.

“He wanted Leo to be a girl too and he loves him,” James said. “Most of the time.” James added in a murmur.

April stifled a laugh. “What about uni?” April questioned. “I can’t just keep popping out babies and expect to still do uni,” April sighed. “And the wedding,” April pursed her lips as she sat up, looking to James as he also sat up, intrigued at what April was about to say about their wedding. “I don’t want to get married with a baby bump,” April informed him. “But then if we have it in the next couple of months I won’t can even have one glass of champagne to celebrate becoming Mrs King and then no cocktails on the beach for our honeymoon.” April said.

“Oh,” James rubbed the back of his head. “So you want to hold off on getting married?” James would be lying if he said he wasn’t disappointed. Marrying April and become a family was something he really wanted to happen sooner rather than later.

“I don’t know,” April pursed her lips. “I....maybe, yes,” April nodded her head. “If we are having another baby then yes, I want to wait to get married.”

“Right,” James sounded disappointed. “Then I guess we are waiting.” James murmured before lying back down in the bed, turning to face away from April to sleep. April exhaled lightly before she too lay down to sleep.

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are gray. You’ll never know dear how much I love you, so please don’t take my sunshine away.” Brax sang to Emmi as he gently rocked her in him arms from the rocking chair. Emmi gave a big yawn, her little face scrunching up.

“That racket is never going to get her back to sleep.” Charlie turned around in her bed and gave Brax a cheeky grin.

“It’s no racket,” Brax mocked offence. “It’s a lovely soothing sound that will get her back to sleep in no time.” Brax said looking back down to Emmi who was staring intently up at her father.

“Sure, you keep telling yourself that,” Charlie murmured, Brax scowling at her. Charlie gave a little laugh as she rolled out of bed and walked over to the rocking chair, her hand resting on Brax’s shoulder as she gently rubbed Emmi’s hand with her index finger. “Look at her face,” Charlie said. “She doesn’t like daddy’s singing.”

“Shut up,” Brax pouted. “And hey, I can hold a note far better than you can dear.” Brax said, this time Charlie giving a gasp of mock offence.

“Sure, you keep telling yourself that.” Charlie said, her hand moving up from his shoulder as running through his hair. She bit her lip as she took a clump of it in her hands.

Brax noticed the look on Charlie face and cleared his throat. “It was always going to happen.” Brax spoke quietly.

“Yeah,” Charlie spoke softly her hand moving from his head and going back down to his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Well I’ll let you get back to getting this little monkey back to sleep.” Charlie said, looking down to Emmi who was staring up at her parents. She looked back to Brax giving him a smile as she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips before she walked back over to bed, hoping to get some sleep before Emmi was due her next feed.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover, Laura, Melbelle94 and Sarah for the comments. :)

one hundred and forty-two

April was pushing the buggy out of the surf club, having just purchased herself a smoothie. Leo was babbling away as he banged his hands against the bar of the buggy. “What a nice story you are telling mummy,” April looked up as she heard her sister’s voice. “Hey,” Bianca smiled at her sister before looking back to Leo who’d stopped babbling to give his Aunty an open mouthed grin as he waved his hands. Bianca leaned down and pinched his cheek before looking back to April. “No uni today?” Bianca questioned. April shook her head in reply as she was taking a drink of her smoothie. “Look April I’m sorry for what I said last night. If you and Jay want to have another baby then who am I to stop you.”

“C’mon Bianca you know fine well this baby wasn’t planned.” April said as they moved a little from being stood in front of the surf club door. They pushed the buggy and pram over to the bench overlooking the ocean, the mothers taking a seat to talk. Bianca lightly rocked the pram as Jessica stirred, stopping when she settled again.

“I know,” Bianca spoke quietly. “But you are a great mum, April,” Bianca assured her. “You’ll be great with this one too.”

April pursed her lips, her head shaking. “I’m only 21,” April said. “And I’m already pregnant with my third child,” April sounded like she was about to cry. “And now Jay is mad at me because I told him I wanted to postpone the wedding till after the baby arrives.” April bit her lip as she looked to her sister.

“Why do you want to wait?” Bianca questioned, watching as April gave Leo a drink of her smoothie.

“Because,” April answered. “We’ve not really planned anything yet. We still need to get a venue, a minister, I need a dress, bridesmaid dresses, Jay needs to sort out the best man and ushers and get suits looked at....” April trailed off. “We need a caterer and there’s the wedding cake to order,” April shook her head. “I only have a couple months before I’ll start showing and that’s not a lot of time to plan a wedding and I don’t want to have a bump in my wedding dress and it would be nice to have a glass of champagne with Jay to celebrate becoming man and wife,” April exhaled. “And I just don’t need the stress of a wedding on top of another baby.”

“I see,” Bianca gave a curt nod. “Well I can understand him being disappointed. You’ve been engaged a while now and he was probably just excited that you two were finally going to get married.” Bianca said.

“Well it’s not like I want to postpone the wedding for nothing,” April sighed. “I’m going to give him another child,” April rested one hand on her stomach. “Surely he can see why I want to wait now.” April said, putting her smoothie down on the bench next to her as Leo started whining in his buggy. She leaned down and unclipped him from the buggy, lifting him out and putting him down on the grass, his little hands clutching onto the edge of the bench.

“I’m sure he’ll come round.” Bianca murmured as she ruffled Leo’s hair, Leo grinning up at her.

“Hi hi hi,” Leo grinned, his hand moving to Bianca’s knee. “Eeee.” Leo squealed before taking a few unsteady steps, the little boy almost getting this walking thing down. He laughed at himself as he fell to the ground.

“Oh you are nearly walking buddy,” Bianca helped Leo up and Leo took some steps, these one more steady as he was still in Bianca’s arms. “That’s going to cause fun for mummy and daddy.” Bianca said.

“Mama,” Leo held his hands out and April lifted him onto her knee. “I’m hoping once he’s walking Finn will find him more interesting,” April exhaled. “This last month he’s not really been to keen on him.”

“When he’s more mobile they can get into more mischief together so I reckon so,” Bianca said, running her hand through Leo’s blond locks. “But not too much mischief for mummy and daddy okay?” Bianca questioned. “You’ve still got to be a little angel. Especially now for mummy, yeah?” Bianca questioned. Leo smiled up at his Aunty before hiding his head against his mother. April lightly rubbed his back as he leaned down and kissed his forehead. She loved how much her boys adored her and deep down she was looking forward to having another little baby.

After picking up Georgia from day care, Charlie and Brax took her to the indoor play zone in Yabbie Creek for a little treat. “This is good,” Georgia said as she took a drink of her juice box. “No boys. Just me and Pickles and mummy and daddy.” Georgia took a chip from the bag and crunched on it.

“Daddy is a boy.” Charlie told her daughter.

Georgia looked at Brax with furrowed eyebrows before looking back to Charlie. “He’s a daddy,” Georgia said glaring at her mother. “Not a boy, silly.”

“I see, sorry.” Charlie pursed her lips, glancing at Brax who chuckled.

“Hey Gee do you want to go down that big slide?” Brax pointed to the biggest slide in the place, lots of little kids going down with grins on their face.

“Oh daddy,” Georgia looked unsure. “It’s very big.”

“Daddy will come with you,” Brax said. “It looks like fun.” Brax looked to the slide again, still a big kid at heart and wanting to go down it.

“I don’t know,” Georgia shook her head, not looking like she wanted to go on the slide. “Take Pickles.”

“Mummy would have a heart attack if daddy took Emmi on the slide.” Charlie said, glancing to her baby who was sound asleep in her pram.

“Took the words right out of my mouth.” Brax laughed as he leaned forward and took a handful of the chips from the bag. Georgia pulled the bag closer to her, making it clear she didn’t appreciate her dad stealing some of her chips.

“Well I do think a 6 week is too little for slides. Even if it is with daddy.” Charlie said, once again looking to her baby daughter, who was stirring as she was waking up from her nap.

“She’s nearly 7 weeks.” Brax answered.

“And that still way too little.” Charlie said.

“Daddy,” Georgia started hitting Brax’s chest to get his attention. “Will you come to the ball pit with me?” Georgia asked, pointing over to the big pool of multi-coloured balls, wanting to go play there.

“If you come on the slide with me.” Brax grinned, really hoping to get her to come down the big slide. She’d been down all the other slides a lot but needed more convincing to go on the big slide.

Georgia pouted sadly, her head bowing. “Daddy is only messing with you darling. Of course he’ll go to the ball pool with you. He’ll go anywhere you want.”

Georgia grinned as she jumped down from the seat. “Mon then daddy,” Georgia jumped from foot to foot. “Let’s go.” Georgia shrieked as she started running over to the entrance.

“Don’t do too much.” Charlie said, not wanting Brax to exhaust himself too quickly.

“I won’t,” Brax answered. “But I feel great today. Lots of energy in me yet.” Brax smiled before walking off after Georgia.

Ruby took away the dead flowers and replaced them with fresh ones. “I’m sorry it’s been a while,” Ruby said. “You know how life can get though, right?” Ruby questioned as she was still arranging the new flowers in the holder. “I can’t believe it’s been two years,” Ruby said, her heart still aching whenever she thought about Dexter. “I miss you,” Ruby ran her hand over the letter of his name. “I....I do, Dex. I think I’m always going too,” Ruby said, feeling herself tearing up. “I just wish....I wish I could be with you again. I....I messed things up with Evan and I...” Ruby stopped talking. “I don’t know how to fix it,” Ruby sniffed back. “Dex,” Ruby’s voice broke. “I don’t know what to do.” Ruby spoke trough tears not knowing what she could say to make things okay with Evan.

Thanks for the comments :)

one hundred and forty-three

In the three weeks following their break-up, Evan had done his best to avoid seeing Ruby in town. He usually avoided places he knew she’d go to and any calls or texts from her went unanswered, but he knew today there would be no avoiding her because they’d both be present at Leo’s first birthday party. He took a deep breath as he switched the engine of his car off, already seeing Charlie’s car in driveway, meaning Ruby was already there. He picked up Leo’s present from the front passenger seat and walked up to the house, hearing everyone was out back. He walked around the side of the house and appeared in the back garden. “Uncle Evan,” Finn screeched as he ran over to him, snatching the present from his hands. “This goes here.” Finn told him, walking over to the table and putting Leo’s present will all the others.

“Hey buddy,” Evan ruffled his hair. “You having fun?” Finn was playing with Daniel, Kobe, Georgia, Kaya, VJ and Poppy in the garden. There was a bouncy castle, a trampoline and a paddling pool full of coloured balls for them to play in. Daniel and VJ had complained at first that they were too old for this kind of party but they seemed to be having the most fun.

“Yeah,” Finn answered. “You come play too?”

“Maybe later eh,” Evan told him. “I’m going to go see the birthday boy first,” Evan said, Finn giving a little scowl before running back off to re-join his friends. He watched Leo – who had a yellow ball from the ball pool in his hands – walking over to Ruby, Leo now having mastered the art of walking. “Ah Leo really,” Evan muttered as he waved to James who was setting up the barbecue. He walked passed the table where the adults were sitting talking, Olive and Irene cooing as one held Jessica, the other Emmi. He took a deep breath as he sat down on the decking next to his ex-girlfriend. “Hey little bro.” Evan pinched Leo’s cheek. Leo gave him a grin before hiding his against Ruby’s leg.

“Evan, hey,” Ruby tried to stay calm. She knew he’d been avoiding her so when they did finally meet she wanted to play it cool. “How have you been?” Ruby questioned.

Evan stared at Ruby for a moment before looking back to Leo who was looking intently at the ball as he turned it around in his hands. “Buddy you going to come with Uncle Evan?” Evan questioned, standing up and lifting Leo into his arms, walking away from Ruby and he and Leo walked over to the rest of the kids. Ruby sighed sadly before standing up and walking into the house to the kitchen, where April was getting the food ready for James to cook on the barbecue.

“Ev’s here.” Ruby said as she leaned back against the worktop.

“Awkward?” April questioned, taking some chicken kebabs she’d made up earlier from the fridge.

“A tad.” Ruby pursed her lips.

“Well you two are not going to ruin my son’s first birthday party.” April spoke in her serious mummy voice.

“We won’t,” Ruby answered. “Besides, he’s still not talking to me so there’s no chance of that happening.” Ruby sounded upset that Evan still wouldn’t give Ruby a chance to talk.

“Well I’m sorry about that,” April told her. “But how about you keep your mind off Evan and help me get this out to Jay.” April questioned, handing a plate out to Ruby of meats for the barbeque. Ruby sighed lightly knowing there wasn’t really anything April could do to help anyways before she took the plate and made her way outside, over to James.

Brax shaved off the last of his hair before turning his razor off, looking at himself in the mirror. He rubbed over his bald head, exhaled sadly before cleaning up his hairs from the sink. He walked out of the bathroom and down the stairs to meet Charlie who was waiting for him in the living room. They were celebrating their anniversary today which was a day after they actually got married but Brax had chemotherapy and as always felt too tired and groggy to do anything. “You ready?” Charlie questioned upon hearing Brax coming into the room. “Usually it’s you men waiting on us women.” Charlie gave a little laugh as she stood up and turned to face Brax, a little surprised he was now bald, Charlie unaware he going to shave it off. He’d been losing his hair for the last few weeks but he still had some, even if it was rather thinned out looking. She tried not to show anything in her face as he picked up her bag from the couch. They were heading out to celebrate their anniversary, getting a rare day to themselves with Ruby taking the kids to Leo’s birthday party.

“It was falling out anyways,” Brax murmured, knowing of course Charlie would have noticed he had shaved his head. “I look awful.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head, her hand running over his bald head. “You are still the handsome, sexy man I married.” Charlie spoke softly before placing a soft kiss on Brax’s lips.

“Even though I am sick, bald and can’t get it up?” Brax questioned, glancing downwards before looking back to Charlie.

“Uh-huh,” Charlie nodded as she gently rubbed the back of his head. “Because you are my sick, bald, can’t get it up guy,” Charlie spoke with a cheeky grin forming on her face. “And I wouldn’t change any of it because going through this together, it’s making us stronger and you fighting this so gracefully is only making me love you even more and I never thought that could be possible.”

Brax gave a little smile. “Well I love you too,” Brax murmured. “And right now I especially love that you’ve let little Pickles go off to the birthday party.” Brax said. Emmi was 9 weeks old and although it was extremely hard for Charlie, she sent her off to the party with Ruby and the kids, knowing it would be nice to celebrate their first wedding anniversary without any of the kids around.

Charlie took a deep breath. “I miss her very greatly,” Charlie exhaled. “But we needed us time too,” Charlie said. “And I am dying to know what you’ve planned for today, so let’s go.” Charlie said, her eyebrows raising as she placed a kiss on his lips before they left the house.

“Nana and Gamma,” Finn said as she climbed up onto the chair in between them. “Did mummy tell you?” Finn questioned, looking back and forth from Irene to Olive.

“Tell us what?” Olive questioned.

“Finn Joseph,” James scolded, his head shaking. April was 6 weeks pregnant and it was too soon to be telling people. “What did me and mummy tell you?”

Finn pouted sadly, having been told numerous times not to tell anyone about the baby till they said he could. “But it’s Nana and Gamma.” Finn sighed, desperate to share the baby news again. Irene glanced at April who was playing with Leo in the ball pool.

“Looks a bit peaky.” Irene mumbled, gesturing to April.

“She’s fine,” James spoke quickly as Irene raised her eyebrows before looking to Olive, the pair of them sharing a glance. Finn glanced up at Olive before pulling her down to him and whispered in her ear. James saw Olive’s eyes widening and knew Finn had told her. “Finn.” James raised his voice sounding angry at the boy.

“She’s Gamma.” Finn defended.

“So she’s pregnant?” Irene questioned, guessing what was going on.

“Yeah,” Finn grinned. “Another baby,” Finn said. “I hope a sister.”

“Wow,” Irene widened her eyes as she ruffled Finn’s hair. “Mummy and daddy are going to be busy huh?” Irene questioned, Finn nodding his head in response.

“I think they’ve already been busy.” Olive muttered looking back out to April who was tickling Leo, much to his delight.

one hundred and forty-four

After a romantic picnic on the beach, Brax drove Charlie to some grassland. “And what are we doing here exactly?” Charlie questioned, his hands slipping into hers as they walked across it.

Brax shrugged. “Thought we’d go for a nice walk.”

“Oh yeah?” Charlie raised her eyebrows, knowing Brax was going to have something special planned. “A nice walk,” Charlie nodded. “I see.”

“Honestly it’s just a walk,” Brax said. “You think it’s a special day or something?”

“Well technically, no,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s not a special day.” Although they were celebrating their anniversary it was actually the day before when they had gotten married.

“So then no reason for anything other than a walk.” Brax gave a cheeky grin as they continued along the grassland.

“Okay Mr Braxton,” Charlie mumbled, playing along with Brax’s they were just on a walk. “So,” Charlie exhaled. “I’ve had a great first year being married to you.”

“Me too,” Brax told her. “Ever more so that you gave me Emmi.” Brax grinned, thinking about this baby daughter.

“And we officially became Kobe’s parents,” Charlie smiled, thinking about the sweet, gentle little soul that Kobe was. “You adopted Daniel,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s been such a good year.”

“Well there is one thing that’s kind of screwed it all up.” Brax murmured, Charlie rubbing her other hand over his, knowing what he was talking about.

“I know it’s bad but it’s not ever going to change all the good things,” Charlie said. “And hey, this time next year you will be in remission and we’ll be on some beach in sunny Mexico.” Charlie grinned.

“Mexico?” Brax questioned. “Pretty sure the kids wanted to go to Hawaii.”

“Who said anything about the kids coming?” Charlie replied. “They can have their holiday another time,” Charlie joked. “I’m thinking second honeymoon.”

“I like the sound of that,” Brax stopped walking and looked down to Charlie. “Do we get to skinny dip in Mexico?” Brax raised his eyebrows as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“I’m sure there will be times where swimwear is optional,” Charlie mumbled before they kissed again, this one getting a little deeper as Brax’s tongue darted into Charlie’s mouth. “Mmm.” Charlie moaned into the kiss as she ran her hands over his head. She was so used to grabbing his hair during moments of passion that she thrown off a little but she quickly came too, staying in the kiss while hands stayed on his head.

“Not that this isn’t lovely but we should continue with this walk.” Brax said as he pulled back from the kiss, tucking her hair behind her ear as she smiled into his eyes.

“Yes,” Charlie nodded. “Let’s continue on this just a walk.” Charlie said, their hands finding each other’s again as they started walking, this time a little faster than the pace they were walking beforehand.

“Well being honest,” Brax exhaled. “This isn’t just a walk.”

“No way.” Charlie gasped, Brax slapping her arm at her sarcasm.

“I have a little something planned,” Brax said as they came into view of a truck then close by what looked like a huge picnic basket, but having just had a picnic on the beach, Charlie was sure she wasn’t about to get a second one. Charlie glanced up at Brax, giving him a puzzled look. “How would you like a little hot air balloon ride?” Brax questioned, Charlie gasping as she gave a little jump and an involuntary squeal. “No?” Brax questioned. “Okay let’s go home then.”

“Brax,” Charlie shrieked. “This is going to be amazing. I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” Brax grinned, excited for a romantic hot air balloon ride with his gorgeous wife.

April, James and Finn were snuggled up on the couch. The party guests were now all gone and Leo was napping after having been tired out after all his partying. April was on her third helping of ice-cream and jelly, her forth if you actually counted the one she’d had earlier with all the party guests. They were watching Despicable Me, this very much a favourite of Finn’s right now. James was staring at April was she took a mouthful of her jelly and ice-cream. He gave a little laugh as his head shook. “What?” April glared at him.

“Easy seeing you are pregnant again,” James said. “You are already eating enough for triplets.” James joked.

“What’s triplets?” Finn questioned.

“Three babies all at once.” James told him, Finn widening his eyes as he looked to April’s stomach.

“You is having three babies?” Finn sounded shocked as he held up 3 fingers.

“No,” April shook her head. “Just the one,” April answered. “I hope.” April muttered under her breath.

“Oh,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “If you did have three you can call them uhm....” Finn paused as he stared at the TV for a moment, having a little giggle at the minions speaking. “Eh Margo, Edith and Agnes like them girls.” Finn pointed to the TV, wanting to call the triplets after the girls from the movie.

“We are not having 3 babies little dude.” James said, ruffling Finn’s hair.

Finn furrowed his eyebrows. “Well have a girl.”

“We can’t decide,” April said. “Well daddy sort of does but,” April muttered before taking another spoonful of her ice-cream, the jelly falling off the spoon and back into the bowl. “Mummy would love a little girl but we’ll just have to wait and see what it is okay bud?” April got the jelly back onto the spoon and brought it to her mouth.

“We find out?” Finn questioned.

“Not for about 4 months yet,” April told him, James giving her a questioning look. She didn’t want to know with Leo and remembered her saying she didn’t find out with Finn either but April was talking like she was going to find out this time. “What?” April saw the look on James’ face.

“I just didn’t think you’d want to find out.” James mumbled.

“Well we’ve got heaps of stuff from Leo and still stuff from Finn was a baby so if it was to be another boy we wouldn’t need to buy a lot,” April said. “And if it is a girl,” April’s voice sounded excited at the prospect of a daughter. “We get to shop and be prepared so she has lots of cute dresses and pink and lilacness.” April scrunched her face at her choice of word.

“I see.” James gave a little nod, the prospect of a daughter also exciting him, thinking it would be nice after having had two boys.

“An we calls her Agnes.” Finn grinned.

“I don’t know about that bud,” April told him, not a fan of her son’s choice in names if the baby was a girl. “But we’ve got a long time to talk about names.” April said, taking more ice-cream and jelly on her spoon.

Kaya was dancing around the living room, on a sugar high from the party. Bianca lay Jessica down in the moses basket in the bedroom smiling lovingly at her baby daughter as she sucked on the little pink dummy. “I wish that one would fall asleep.” Heath said as he walked into the bedroom, wrapping his arms around Bianca from behind and placing a soft kiss in the crook of her neck.

“She is going to be up for hours yet.” Bianca murmured.

“Well I wish she was young enough to nap.” Heath said, Bianca giving a little laugh just as Kaya called out for Heath.

“Looks like you are wanted.” Bianca said, her hands rubbing the sides of his arms gently.

Heath raised his eyebrows a little. “By Kaya or you?” Heath questioned before placing a soft kiss on Bianca’s lips, Bianca smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“As much as you’d like it to be me, I do believe it’s our elder daughter who is calling on you,” Bianca said, brushing her hand over his chest. “So, you go be a good little daddy and go play with your daughter.”

“I’d rather play with you.” Heath grinned as he pinched her bum cheek.

Bianca gave an involuntary squeal. “It’s still early. Go tire Kaya out and maybe tonight you’ll get a treat for being a good daddy.” Bianca raised her eyebrows, Heath grinning as he kissed her again.

“You coming to play too?” Heath questioned.

“She’s only calling on you,” Bianca said, just as Kaya once again shouted for Heath. “Besides, I was enjoying watching little bumblebee here sleeping before I was rudely interrupted.” Bianca spoke with a cheeky grin.

“Oh fair enough. Want to keep some energy for later eh?” Heath grinned, Bianca stifling a laugh as she nodded at Heath as he walked out of the room to play with Kaya, leaving Bianca alone to look over Jessica as she slept.

one hundred and forty-five

This chapter skips forward around 3 and a half months.

Daniel had accompanied Brax to his latest chemotherapy session. “So, I brought these for us to look at.” Daniel said as he took the papers out of his bag, Brax actually wondering why he needed to bring one with him anyways.

“Oh yeah,” Brax took the papers in his hand, seeing it was information on Hawaii. “Where did you get all this buddy?” Brax questioned.

“I printed it,” Daniel told him. “When I was on mum’s laptop.”

“Ah,” Brax gave a curt nod, looking to the lush picture of turquoise waters, white sand and palm trees. “This does look lovely buddy.”

“Yeah,” Daniel smiled. “We can see volcanoes and snorkel and you can buy mum some real pearls and we can see dolphins and whales and we can just lay on the beach or by the pool and can swim and Hawaii has good surfing waves,” Daniel stopped to take a breath. “We’ll have the best holiday.”

“Yeah?” Brax questioned. “You think Hawaii will be better than Bali then?”

“Oh yes,” Daniel nodded in head. “Well no,” Daniel stopped nodding and shook his head instead. “Bali was so much fun but Kobe and Emmi will get to come to Hawaii so it will be better because of that.”

“Yeah I’m sure it will huh?” Brax smiled, hoping they would be able to get to Hawaii soon enough.

“Will Ruby come too?” Daniel wondered.

“We can ask her.” Brax answered, hoping she would join them but of course it was up to her.

“Would Evan come?” Daniel asked as he took a biscuit from the tray that was meant for Brax.

“Nah,” Brax told him. “Ruby and Evan aren’t together anymore so he wouldn’t come.”

Daniel sighed sadly. “I wish they could date again. Evan was cool.”

Brax opened his mouth to reply but was cut off when Dr Reed walked into the room, calling on Brax. “Darryl.” Dr Reed still called him this even though he’d been told numerous times to please call him Brax.

“Dr Reed.” Brax exhaled nervously. Usually it was just the nurses who’d talk to him during chemo sessions so he was a little unsure as to why Dr Reed would be there.

“Don’t look so worried,” Dr Reed gave him a smile before looking to Daniel. “You keeping dad company today?” Dr Reed questioned and Daniel nodded his head in reply. “Well he is finished in here I’d like him to come see me in my office.” Dr Reed looked back to Brax.

“Okay, we’ll come along.” Brax said his heart starting to race at what Dr Reed could possibly want to talk to him about.

April and James were waiting at the hospital for the 20 week appointment. They were both keen to find out the sex of the baby and hoped it was in a position so they were able to do so. “I think she’s fell asleep.” April said, rubbing over her stomach. The baby had been pretty active all morning but was now rather quiet.

“Just when we want her to put on a little show,” James laughed as he poked April’s side. “Bubba this is no time for sleeping,” James poked her again. “Whoa.” James gasped as the baby kicked out, clearly wanting daddy to stop disturbing his sleep.

“Not often I get a kick like that.” April said, rubbing her stomach where the baby continued to kick her. This so far had been April’s easiest pregnancy. Aside from the bump she hadn’t really had any indication she was pregnant, which, considering she had a newly turned 5 year old and a toddler to look after was much appreciated. Although the baby was active, compared to her pregnancies with Finn and Leo, this baby didn’t seem to kick around as much so April was surprised when this kick actually hurt her.

“He’s annoyed with daddy already,” James laughed. “I’d be nice to daddy buddy because I’m going to look after you when you come out,” James said. “Let me tell you, you won’t be able to fend for yourself for a while.”

“I’ll remember you said that when he’s crying uncontrollably at 4 am.” April murmured, her hand still rubbing over her stomach.

“Oh now I never said anything about night time duties,” James joked. “But maybe little dude and little bro with help with that.” James gave a cheeky grin as April slapped his arm.

“April Scott,” April and James looked up as Rosie, their ultrasound technician came into view. “If you’d like to come this way,” Rosie said and James helped April to standing before they followed her down the hall and into the room. James took a seat on the chair next to the bed as April tried to get comfy on the bed. “How have you been since I last saw you?” Rosie questioned as she put some gloves on.

“Great,” April answered. “No complaints at all.”

“Which is a welcome change from her last pregnancy,” James muttered, April gasping as she slapped his knee. “C’mon hun I’m just saying the truth. When you were expecting Leo you had a hard time and were rather moody but with this one it seems so much easier for you.”

“Well yes,” April sucked in her bottom lip. “That’s true. It’s easier this time round.”

Rosie smiled as she lifted the gel from the tray, April bringing her singlet to her breasts so her stomach was on show. “Big brothers stay at home today then?” Rosie said as she put some gel onto April’s stomach before she reached for the transducer.

“They are chilling with Grams,” James said. Finn and Leo were both at April’s previous scan. Finn was interested in seeing the baby but was disappointed with the ‘blobby alien’ he did see and Leo was more interested in the transducer on his mothers stomach than anything else. “But Finn did tell us if we didn’t find out what the baby is today we’re not to come home.” James stifled a laugh.

“And you two want to find out?” Rosie questioned.

“Yeah we do.” April answered.

“Well let’s hope we can,” Rosie said. “I’ll just make sure everything is as it should be with the little one then we’ll have a little see what the baby is then you guys can see your son or daughter.” Rosie said, April and James nodding, hoping soon they’d be finding out the baby’s gender.

Charlie was sitting on the floor, holding Emmi’s little hippo teddy in her hands. She’d gotten it from Leah when she was born and it quickly became Emmi’s favourite. “Come get it.” Charlie held the teddy out, Emmi staring at it, her big green eyes widening in want. Emmi was on all fours, looking like she was going it crawl.

Emmi babbled as she lifted one hand out, losing her balance and falling to the floor in a thud. “Emmi.” Kobe sounded very concerned for his sister as he lifted her back to being on all fours but Emmi didn’t look affected by at all.

“She’s alright bud.” Charlie said, already knowing Emmi was going to be a tough little cookie as she grew up.

“She won’t crawl.” Georgia pouted sadly as she was sitting next to her mother.

“Well she’s still little,” Charlie exhaled. “She’s not even 6 months old yet.” Charlie reminded her.

“Jessica crawled.” Georgia sounded rather mad than Jessica could crawl but Emmi couldn’t.

“Well Jessica is that little bit older.” Charlie said. She knew it was only a week and that wasn’t really much difference in the grand scheme of it all but she was still that little bit older. When they’d been at Bianca’s the day before Jessica had showed off her newly learnt skill.

“I want them to race.” Georgia pouted sadly as Kobe started to giggle at her comment.

“You what?” Charlie laughed.

“Pickles n Jessica,” Georgia moved her hair from in front of her face as she looked up at her mother. “They can race when they crawl.”

“I see,” Charlie laughed again. “Not sure we’ll make the girls do that.” Charlie murmured. “What do you say bud?” Charlie looked at Kobe who was starting to crawl slowly, Emmi watching him as she rocked her body back and forth like she was trying to copy him.

“I don’t know,” Kobe chuckled. “It might be funny.”

“Aww Emmi boo don’t you worry,” Charlie spoke softly as she looked to her youngest daughter. “Mummy won’t let you’re older sibling make you race with your cousin.” Charlie said, Emmi grinning up at her mother, the start of a tooth showing. She moved one hand forward, then the next, before leaning down and letting her stomach rest against the floor as her leg kicked out.

“She can’t get it,” Georgia frowned. “She needs to know.”

“Aww but she is so close,” Charlie cooed as she leaned forward and ran her hand through Emmi’s soft chocolate locks, leaving Emmi to chill out on her stomach of course tummy time being something good for babies. “Go get some of her toys and play with her instead of training her up to race her.” Charlie said as she rubbed Georgia’s back. Georgia ran over to the toy box as Kobe went back to sitting down next to Emmi. Charlie smiled as she saw the look Kobe had in his eyes every time he looked at his baby sister before she handed hippo out to Emmi, her little hands grasping onto it, Charlie very much enjoying chilling out with her kids.

one hundred and forty-six

April wiped her hand over her eye, wiping away the tear as she looked at the latest ultrasound. “You okay?” James questioned as he turned the car engine off. They were sitting in the drive of Olive’s house, going to get the boys and of course share the news of what the baby was with her.

“Yeah,” April cleared her throat. “I uhm, I know I’m going to love him so much but I....” April trailed off as she sniffed back. “I was just really hoping for a girl. Is that bad?”

“There’s nothing wrong with wanting a daughter,” James said. “I’d have loved a daughter too,” James leaned forward and put his hand over April’s, giving it a squeeze. “And hey, we can still have a daughter in the future.”

“Knowing my luck it’d be another boy.” April murmured.

“It’s the 21st century huh,” James said. “In this day and age if you want a little girl there are ways to make that happen.”

“At a cost.” April sighed as she pulled down the sun visor in the car and looked at herself in the mirror. She didn’t want it to seem like she’d been crying. Of course they could have been passed off as happy tears but still, she wanted to fix herself up before going into see Olive and the boys.

“So,” James shrugged. “Thanks to Derek we have money,” James said. “And if it helps us get a daughter then it’ll be the only useful thing he ever did for me.” April could hear the bitterness in James’ voice as he spoke.

April pursed her lips as she put a little concealer on her face before putting it back into her bag. “Let’s go in.” April took her seatbelt off before opening the door and getting out of the car.

James got out and locked the car door before walking around to April. “I’m sorry.” James told her, rubbing her arm as they walked up the path to the house.

“It’s not your fault.” April answered.

“Well it sort of it,” James said. “It’s the sperm that are male and female.”

“Yeah but it’s not like you decided what sperm fertilized my egg,” April replied. “It’s just....I’m clearly meant to be a mother to boys,” April exhaled. “And I’ve got my nieces,” April gave a little smile. “Besides any baby is a blessing and we should just be grateful we are getting another little bubba.” April rubbed over her stomach as she felt him kicking.

“That’s true,” James said. “And anyways the boys worship you so you are going to have another little mama’s boy,” James exhaled as he rang the doorbell of the house before opening the door. He heard Olive shout for them to come through before hearing the thunderous footsteps of the boys, both of them appearing out of the living room and running towards them.

“Mama mama.” Leo held his hands up as he ran into April, April lifting Leo up into her arms.

“Is she a girl?” Finn shrieked, pulling at April as he tried to find the picture.

“Finn,” James pulled Finn back as they walked into the living room, Finn sulking as he mumbled he just wanted to know about his sister. “Let mummy get a seat.”

“You can tell me standing up.” Finn retorted as April took a seat, Leo not on her knee as much as he wanted to be, giving her bump was in the way. He scowled as he looked round to her bump, his hand pushing on it, like he wanted it to go away.

April handed the scan picture to Olive. “Everything okay with the little one?” Olive questioned.

“All is good and healthy and growing well.” April answered.

“Mummy,” Finn jumped up and down, looking frustrated. “Just tell us is it my sister?”

“It’s a little boy,” James answered. “You’re getting another brother buddy.” James said, Olive gushing as she continued to look at the picture.

“Noooo.” Finn frowned as he threw himself to the floor as he burst into tears.

“Little dude,” James scolded. “You are too old for temper tantrums.”

Leo looked to Finn, a confused look on his little face. “Oh.” Leo made a big O shape with his mouth. He wriggled down from April’s knee and ran across to Finn and lay down next to him, copying what he was doing.

“Aww congratulations.” Olive said, she too seeming a little disappointed, obviously hoping for a girl this time.

“Thanks.” April smiled, running her hand over her stomach, Olive seeing April was a little saddened to. Of course she knew once she was holding her son in her arms she’d be fine but having just found out, the initial disappointment was there.

“Right boys,” James walked over to Finn and Leo. “Stop being silly Finn. You are still going to get a beautiful new brother.” James said as he poked at Finn’s side, trying to make him smile again.

Ruby walked out of the surf club, taking a drink of her smoothie. She smiled and waved as she saw Evan walking up the beach, his surf board tucked under his arm. Evan gave a weak smile back as he leaned his surfboard against the fencing and walked over to the showers, turning it on and going under it to get rid of any excess sand from his body. “How’s the surf?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah fine.” Evan murmured. They’d made some small talk over the last few weeks but hadn’t talked much, Evan still doing his best to avoid Ruby whenever he could.

“Jay said you’ve just been home over the long weekend?” Ruby questioned, Evan giving a little nod in response. “How’s your mum?”

“Good,” Evan mumbled. “How is your dad doing?” Evan ran his hand through his hair, the excess water dripping down his back.

“Good, fine...yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Still getting the chemo,” Ruby exhaled. “But he’s not going to let this beat him.”

“Of course not,” Evan exhaled glancing away from Ruby for a moment as a silence hit them. “Anyways, I should get going.” Evan walked back over to his surfboard, picking it up from the fence.

“Ev I...” Ruby paused for a moment. “I miss you.”

Evan pursed his lips before turning back to face her. “I miss you too,” Evan exhaled. “But I....you lied.”

“I made a mistake,” Ruby said. “One silly stupid mistake,” Ruby felt herself getting emotional. “Don’t I....people deserve another chance. I mean look at all the stupid stuff Jay has done and April’s forgiving him and they’ve moved passed everything fine.”

Evan shook his head, not able to believe Ruby was trying to justify what she did with using his brothers own mistakes. “He’s done nothing like the deceit you did.” Evan retorted.

“Paying Finn’s real father off is pretty bad.” Ruby murmured.

“What...why....why are you even bringing April and Jay’s relationship into this?” Evan questioned. “You lied to me and deceived me,” Evan still sounded extremely hurt even though it was over 4 months ago now all truth had come out and they broke up. “They’re relationship is theirs and what goes on in it and any forgiveness is between them. I’m not Jay and you are not April so it’s going to be different,” Evan spat. “I love you, Ruby but I...” Evan shook his head. “But just because I love you it doesn’t mean I want to be with you.” Evan said before he walked off, not even waiting to hear if Ruby was going to reply.

Brax and Daniel walked back into the house, Daniel throwing his bag down before walking over to Charlie and Emmi, grinning down at his sister she he rubbed her cheek, Emmi giving him a grin. “Hey.” Brax leaned down to kiss Charlie before he took Emmi into his arm. “Is this one crawling yet?” Brax questioned, looking to Georgia and Kobe who were playing pairs on the floor.

“Uh-uh,” Georgia shook her head. “Rubbish baby.”

Brax gave a little laugh as he sat down on the couch next to Charlie, placing Emmi on his knee. “Dad,” Daniel widened his eyes as he nudged his father. “Can I tell her? Can I tell her the news?”

“What news?” Charlie’s heart started to beat faster with worry. Brax had just gotten home from his chemotherapy and now had news to tell her, all sorts of thoughts entering Charlie’s mind.

“You tell her buddy.” Brax exhaled, Charlie still worried. Was Brax not able to say it so he was going to make Daniel?

“Dad is well enough to get the surgery.” Daniel beamed. Charlie gasped as she threw herself forward, wrapping her arms around Brax in a hug. Brax rubbed her back as he kissed her head. Charlie pulled back when she heard Emmi whining, the poor baby squashed between her parents embrace.

“Sorry sweetie,” Charlie ran her hand over Emmi’s soft chocolate locks. “But really that’s amazing news. I wish I was there with you to hear it,” Charlie said this being the only time she’d stayed at the home with the other kids while only Daniel accompanied Brax to hospital. “How did they tell you?”

“During my chemo Dr Reed came to see me and asked me to go see him when I was done,” Brax explained. “I was a bit worried to what he wanted but then remember last week I went in for bloods and an X-ray?” Brax questioned, Charlie giving a little nod. “Well they’d been reviewing my results and talking with a specialist surgeon so that’s why they took so long to get them back to me but the tumour has shrunk enough for me to get it removed safely.”

“That’s amazing,” Charlie gave an involuntary squeal. “You hear that kiddos?” Charlie looked to the kids who were staring up at her after her squeal. “Daddy can get his operation.”

“Oh,” Georgia slapped her hands against her cheeks as she stood and ran over to him. “Does you get your hair back now?” Georgia questioned. “I miss your hair.” Georgia said, climbing up onto the couch and patting Brax’s bald head.

“Not right away sweetheart,” Brax replied, wrapping one arm around her and lifted her to his knee, both of his girls now sitting on one knee each. “But remember we told you it will grow back.”

“Yes.” Georgia nodded, the length of time it was taking for Brax’s hair to start growing again clearly being too long for the newly turned 4 year old.

“This is a happy day,” Kobe grinned. “I’m so glad you can get the surgery to make you more better daddy.” Kobe said, leaning himself into Charlie, only because the girls were with Brax. Charlie wrapped her arms around Kobe, giving him a hug, everyone very pleased that Brax’s heath was improving.

Thanks for the comments. :)

one hundred and forty-seven

Brax walked into the bedroom, smiling as he saw Emmi sitting in the centre of the bed, her little purple hippo clasped in her hands as she waved it around a little. She babbled excitedly as she saw her daddy walking over to her. “Hey Pickles.” Brax gave his daughter a grin, Emmi giving a squeal of delight obviously thrilled to see her daddy. He sat on the bed, shuffling himself over to the centre and lifting Emmi onto his knee. He squeezed her tight, breathing in her sweet scent. This was the first time since she was practically born that Brax felt hopeful of being there to see her grow up.

“Georgia down okay?” Charlie questioned from putting away Brax’s freshly ironed clothes in his drawers.

“Yup,” Brax answered. “They boys are watching a DVD downstairs,” Brax said. “They want to sleep in the living room tonight,” Brax told her. “Want to make a fort.”

“Well they don’t have school tomorrow so it’s fine by me,” Charlie said, closing the drawer and walking over to the bed, crawling over so she was next to Brax and Emmi. “Maybe you could join them. Make it a boys’ night.”

“Oh,” Brax didn’t sound sure about the plan. “I was kinda hoping we could try and celebrate my good news tonight.” Brax said, giving Charlie a seductive smile as his eyebrows raised.

“You are always too tired after chemo,” Charlie said. “Not to mention you’ve never been able to get excited.” Charlie murmured. It had been a long time since she and Brax were intimate, before Emmi was born to be exact, but of course right now Brax getting better was more important than being able to have sex.

“Well hopefully that changes soon,” Brax exhaled, still hugging Emmi close to him. “No more chemo,” Brax grinned. “After the surgery I won’t be taking as many drugs.”

Charlie smiled at her husband, looking into the eyes. They were brighter today than the usual sad, ill look they had. “So when is this surgery?” Charlie questioned. “Have they given you a date yet?”

“13th of this month,” Brax answered. “So, just under two weeks away.”

“That’s a Friday,” Charlie widened her eyes. “Friday the 13th.”

“Yeah so,” Brax shrugged. “We are not superstitious.”

“No. I no but,” Charlie pursed her lips. “Is it at Northern Districts?”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “It’s at a hospital in Sydney. I’ll go up on the Friday and when I get out is just depending on my recovery. Dr Reed said it might be a week, less than a week or even up to two weeks.” Brax told her.

“So looks like we’ll be spending some time in Sydney.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well you don’t have to be in Sydney.” Brax murmured.

“So you think I’ll drive up and down every day with 4 kids?” Charlie questioned. “It will be much easier for us to be in Sydney so we are closer to you.” Charlie said, her hand running over Emmi’s hair as she spoke, Emmi looking from parent to parent.

“You don’t have to be there every day I mean.” Brax told her.

“Yeah like I’d leave my husband to recover from surgery for cancer on his own,” Charlie mumbled as she slapped his arm. “Don’t be silly, of course I am going to be there for you.” Brax gave her a smile before leaning in for a kiss.

“I love you.” Brax murmured before they kissed again.

“Not as much as I love you.” Charlie whispered, the couples lips then meeting again for another kiss.

Ruby and April met at the diner for a little catch up. “So now you know it’s another little boy have you been talking names?” Ruby questioned before taking a drink of her milkshake.

“I really like Theo but we’ve already got Leo, so....” April trailed off, Theo too close to Leo to call the new baby by that name. “I like Sebastian too but people will shorten it to Seb and I don’t like Seb and Jay seems to think because we have Finn and Leo and they are short and sweet we should pick another short and sweet name.” April shrugged.

“What so something like Max or Toby or Arlo or Zeke or Caden?” Ruby scrunched her face up.

“Oh Caden is pretty nice,” April said, her hand rubbing her stomach, the baby waking up from a nap. “What do you think bub?” April questioned, the baby giving a few kicks. She gave a smile before looking back to her friend to see her staring at the counter. April looked around to see Evan paying for a takeaway. “How are things on the Evan front?” April wondered, a little surprised that they hadn’t actually gotten back together yet.

“I ran into him yesterday,” Ruby exhaled. “He said he still loved me but that it doesn’t mean he wants to be with me.” Ruby sighed sadly.

“Well he still loves you, that’s something, right?” April questioned.

“Not if he doesn’t want to be with me,” Ruby murmured. “It’s not...it means nothing.”

“If he loves you then there’s always a chance.” April said, breaking off a piece of her lemon drizzle cake and putting it into her mouth.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “He’s made it pretty clear. I’ve....I’ve ruined any chance we had,” Ruby took a deep breath to compose herself. “If I was.....If I was Evan I wouldn’t forgive me.”

“Rubes, stop being so hard on yourself,” April exhaled. “You made a silly mistake. A stupid decision. That’s all.”

“Yeah but one that’s cost me my relationship,” Ruby sighed. “I loved him, we were so happy, everything was great. Why shouldn’t we have added a baby? A baby would have meant we stayed together,” Ruby pursed her lips. “I mean look at you with the boys,” April said. “Why wouldn’t I want that? They worship you and you love them so much.”

“Yeah they are great but Rubes,” April pursed her lips. “Being a parent is hard work and if you know you are not ready for that then don’t make yourself do it only to make someone else happy. You both have to want a child.”

“Well no offence meant here but it’s not like you planned any of your kids,” Ruby said. “And you’re happy with them, right?”

“Yeah but,” April stopped talking. “Look,” April paused again. “I hope you and Evan can work things out but don’t go saying you’ll have a baby just to win him back.” April said, taking a drink of her milkshake as she could see Ruby was thinking up something.

“Ahhh boo,” Heath cooed as the swing came towards him, Jessica squealing in delight. Kaya was behind the swing, pushing it lightly, of course Jessica not going to be pushed to high on the swing, given she was only little. “That’s enough right now cupcake.” Heath said, Kaya stopping pushing her sister and running to the front to see her face, Jessica grinning as she saw her.

“This is fun,” Kaya smiled. Heath had the girls out for the afternoon, giving Bianca some time to herself. They had a little picnic lunch at the park before getting to play on the swings and later they were going to feed the ducks. “And Jessica is having lots of fun too huh?”

“She sure is.” Heath caught her feet as the swing came back to them, Jessica giving a little giggle as the swing wouldn’t move.

“Dad?” Kaya looked to him questioningly. “When will you and mum get married?”

“I don’t know darling,” Heath let go of Jessica, a grin on her face as she swung backwards. “Would you like us too?”

“Yes,” Kaya answered. “And I can be the prettiest flower girl.”

“No doubt about that,” Heath smiled at Kaya, the beautiful little girl smiling back up at him. “But you’ll need to ask your mum when she wants the wedding to happen.”

“Okay I will,” Kaya answered. “Then I want a little brother, okay?” Kaya demanded.

“Well I’m not sure we can give you a brother but we’ll most likely give you another sibling.” Heath told her, Heath already wanting to expand his family with Bianca but of course Jessica was only 6 months old so it was too soon to be talking about baby number 3 and he knew they’d both like to be married before having any more children.

Thanks Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah and Melbelle94 for the comments.

One hundred and forty-eight

Leo grinned as he took another item of clothing from the washing machine and walked over to the washing basket, putting it inside so once it was full, April could take it outside to line dry. “You are such a good helper for mummy,” April said, Leo looking up at her, his grin widening as he showed off the lovely white teeth he had. “You are,” April cooed, Leo giving a squeal before taking another item of clothing from the machine. The task of one item at a time was proving a very slow one but Leo was having fun and there was plenty time in the day to get the washing out and dried. She ran her hand over her stomach as her unborn son kicked. “Oh Leo you’re little brother is moving around a lot today,” April said, just as she once again she felt him. “Think this one will be a soccer player.” April joked.

“Mmm mm ba mm.” Leo babbled as he held his hands out to the side, a red pair of Finn’s underpants in his hand. He stared down at them, the grin still on his face.

“Go put them in the basket.” April said, pointing over to the washing basket. Leo walked over placing the item in with great care before walking back to the washing machine to get more clothes.

“Mummy.” April looked round as she heard Finn’s voice, Finn back home from school.

“Hey bud,” April smiled as Finn hugged her. “What did you learn in school today?”

“Uhm,” Finn scratched the side of his head. “We drewed this picture.” Finn took his bag off his shoulders. Although he’d started school a couple months ago now, April still couldn’t help but think how cute he looked in his little grey shorts and light blue shirt.

“You drew a picture.” James corrected from the doorway, watching Leo in amusement.

“Yes I said we drewed it,” Finn said as he opened his bag and pulled out the piece of paper, showing his mother the drawing. “This daddy,” Finn pointed to the very tall person in the picture. It wasn’t that James was overly tall but of course to his 5 year old he was going to seem tall. “This is Leo,” Finn pointed to what was supposed to be his little brother. “This me,” Finn said. “And this is you,” Finn pointed to April in the picture. “You is really fat cos you got a baby in you.” Finn said, April widening her eyes at just how fat the drawing was.

“God I don’t look that big do I?” April glanced up to James who’d walked over and was now looking over Finn to the drawing. He chuckled but stopped as April slapped his arm.

“No.” James answered. April was bigger this time round but she figured because it was her third baby she’d stretch out more, her stomach already having been stretched out twice before.

“Hmm,” April furrowed her eyebrows at James before looking back to Finn’s drawing. “And who’s that?” April questioned, pointing to another person in the drawing.

“Oh that’s Sam,” Finn smiled. “He’s been in Canada but he’s back now.” Finn said before he ran out of the laundry room, letting his picture fly to the floor, it hitting down where he’d left his school bag.

“So Sam’s back.” James raised his eyebrows.

“Uh,” April shrugged. “Lots of kids have imaginary friends. I’m not going to worry and besides he’s not mentioned that much,” April said before looking to Leo who placed one of her bras over his head. James caught sight of his son and burst out laughing, spurring Leo into a giggle. “What you doing with mummy’s bra?” April laughed as she walked over to her son, taking it from his head and throwing it down into the washing basket. “C’mon you help mummy take this outside.” April said, picking up the washing basket and walking out of the laundry room, Leo toddling out behind her. James picked up Finn’s drawing and school and walked out to find his elder son to see if he had any homework.

Brax, Charlie and the kids had gone to city to prepare for Brax’s surgery. They’d driven up on the Thursday when the boys got out of school because they needed to be at the hospital in Sydney for 9am so decided to get there the day before so they didn’t need to get up as early and Charlie wouldn’t have 4 cranky children on her hands all day. Charlie and Brax had decided to have the boys in Sydney over the weekend but on Sunday after Ruby had come to visit, she would take the boys home so they wouldn’t miss school, bringing them back for a visit every few days till Brax got home, with Charlie and the girls staying in Sydney. “Is this our new house?” Georgia questioned as they walked into the hotel room, passed the bathroom door to see two queen sized beds and small living area with a couch, a chair, a table with two further chairs and of course a TV and there had been a cot put up against the wall for Emmi.

“It’s a hotel.” Daniel said as he let go of the suit case which had clothes for both himself and Kobe in, it making a thud as it hit the ground.

“We’s not on holiday,” Georgia said as she climbed up onto one of the beds and started jumping on it. “We not go on a plane.”

“You don’t need to go on a plane to take a holiday,” Daniel sighed. “You are so stupid.” Daniel said before he walked over to the balcony door and pulled it open before stepping outside. Charlie and Brax exchanged a glance, Daniel not normally like this with his little sister.

“Uhm mum?” Kobe looked up to Charlie as Brax took Emmi out of the car seat and placed her on the floor. She got on all fours like she was going to crawl but just started rocking back and forth, not actually going forwards.

“Yeah bud?” Charlie ran her hand through Kobe’s hair as she spoke.

“There’s not enough beds for everyone,” Kobe said. “There’s 6 of us but only 2 beds and Emmi’s cot.” Kobe looked a little concerned about where everyone would sleep.

“Well you and Daniel will share that bed,” Charlie said, pointing to the furthest away queen sized double. “And little Gee and I will sleep in this one.” Charlie pointed to the bed where Georgia was jumping around, the look on her face showing she was having fun.

“Where will daddy sleep tonight?” Georgia asked, jumping over to the edge of the bed.

“Oh he will sleep in the bathtub.” Charlie answered, Georgia giggling as she jumped onto her father, her little arms wrapping around his neck as he wrapped an arm around her to keep her up.

“Mum.” Kobe gasped, sounding horrified at what his mother said.

“She’s only joking with you mate,” Brax said, looking down to Emmi for a moment who was still on the same spot on the floor, her little body still rocking. “I’ll sleep with mummy and Georgia tonight.” Brax told him, Kobe giving a sigh of relief that he had a place to sleep.

“That’s what you think,” Charlie gave Brax a cheeky grin before she gestured over to the balcony. Brax gave a nod, telling Kobe and Georgia they should play a game as Charlie walked over to the balcony and went outside, her arm wrapping around Daniel as she stood beside him. She looked down to him, seeing he was crying. “Sweetheart what’s wrong?” Charlie spoke softly as she rubbed his back.

“I don’t want dad to die,” Daniel cried. “I’m so worried he will die.”

“Aww baby,” Charlie pulled Daniel into a hug. “He’s not going to die,” Charlie said, taking a breath to keep herself composed. “He’s gotten over the worst of it and this is just a little operation to get the tumour out.” Charlie spoke quietly. She of course knew there were risks with this surgery, there were always risks with any surgery but she knew she needed to stay positive not only for her own piece of mind but for Brax and the kids too.

“But what if it goes wrong?” Daniel mumbled from against her chest.

“The chances of anything going wrong are so, so small. And he’s a Braxton. You think dad is going to let this get him?” Charlie questioned, Daniel pulling back to look at her as he gave a little shrug.

“He wouldn’t,” Daniel shook his head. “But now I’m also scared someone else will get cancer.” Daniel said as Charlie wiped the tears from his face with her thumbs.

“Look your dad getting cancer was just bad luck,” Charlie said. “It doesn’t mean anyone else is going to get it.”

“But I got cancer then dad got cancer,” Daniel said. “What if Emmi or Kobe or Georgia or Ruby or you get it next?” Daniel wondered, Charlie seeing how much all of this was truly affecting her son and at just turned 11 years, he didn’t all these heavy thought on his mind. “I just want us all to be happy and healthy.”

“I know,” Charlie said. “And once daddy is better we all will be. And dad says you are still looking into Hawaii?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod as he sniffed back. “Well then you and dad have got a nice project to do once he’s recovered huh?” Charlie said. “So instead of worry about dad how about you keep thinking of things for us to do on this holiday?” Charlie questioned, wanting to keep Daniel’s mind occupied so he didn’t sit and worry all the time.

“Can I go on your laptop?” Daniel asked.

“Of course you can,” Charlie said, smiling as she saw a smile etching on Daniel’s face. “Don’t you worry bud. Dad is going to be just fine.”

Charlie said, pulling him into a hug, knowing he still needed a little bit more comfort.

Thank you for the comments.

one hundred and forty-nine

Brax and Charlie were in the hospital room, Brax about to be wheeled down to surgery. “You sure Daniel is going to be okay?” Brax questioned. Daniel had gotten a little emotional again before a nurse took the kids to get some ice-cream, leaving Charlie and Brax to have a moment alone.

“He’ll be okay.” Charlie assured him, not wanting Brax to go into the surgery worried about Daniel.

“You know I....” Brax pursed his lips. “I had a dream last night.” Brax cleared his throat as Charlie ran her hand over his cheek repeatedly.

“Oh yeah?” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “Word peace, equality, oh no don’t tell me, Emily Blunt asked you to marry her?” Charlie joked, Brax having a liking for the British actress.

Brax stifled a laugh as he shook his head. “I know you need to joke right now to stay composed but,” Brax took a deep breath. “Everyone was there,” Brax told her. “You, Bianca, Leah, Rubes, April....” Brax trailed off. “You were all crying. You were in a church. It was...” Brax sounded scared. “It was a funeral.”

“Brax,” Charlie shook her head, taking his hand in hers and giving it a squeeze. “It was just a dream.”

“Was it?” Brax questioned. “The night before I go for surgery? What if it was a premonition? What if I saw what was about to happen?”

“You didn’t,” Charlie told him. “You are going to get this surgery, recovery and be fine and we are going to take the kids to Hawaii,” Charlie said, her other hand rubbing over Brax’s as she continued to hold his hand in hers. “And Georgia is keen to learn how to boogie board,” Charlie said. “Be pretty cool if she could learn that in Hawaii.”

“You’re going to let me teach her?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “She needs to learn what you Braxton’s are famous for huh?” Charlie said, Brax giving a smile as he nodded.

“But Charlie please just let me say this,” Brax took a deep breath, Charlie seeing his eyes tearing up. “I love you so much,” Brax started. “The kids and you are my whole life. I’m so thankful I moved here and met that gorgeous woman and her amazing little man from 6B,” Brax smiled as he looked lovingly into her eyes. “And Rubes and....” Brax paused. “You made these last 6 years the best 6 years of my life and if I do....” Brax didn’t say it, knowing it wasn’t something Charlie wanted to hear. “I’ll go being the happiest man,” Brax said. “And when the time is right you deserve to find happiness again.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she felt herself welling up. “There wouldn’t be enough time in the world.” Charlie mumbled. She opened her mouth to talk again but was cut off when the door opened and a nurse walked into the room.

“We’re ready to take you down now Mr Braxton.” The nurse said as Charlie wiped her hand over her eyes.

“I’ll see you soon.” Charlie said, leaning down and placing a soft kiss on Brax’s lips, before moving out of the way so he could be wheeled down to surgery.

April walked into the room that was going to be the nursery for the baby. They’d chosen an underwater theme, little coloured fish, starfish and seahorse dotted about on one sea blue painted wall, the other three walls wear near white with just the little hint of blue colour to it. The cot cover and curtains were blue with little fish on and there was a changing table to match. Hanging above the cot was a mobile, once again in the fish theme. “This looks great.” April smiled as James was putting away some clothes in the drawers.

“I helped.” Finn told her, a proud smile on his face. Although he still said he wasn’t happy that the baby was a boy he’d still been excited to help decorate the nursery.

“You did a great job too bud.” April smiled down at her son who was helping James to fold the clothes away.

“Well all we need now is for this one to arrive.” James grinned as he stopped what he was doing and turned to face April, his hand rubbing over her stomach.

“Not for a while yet,” April murmured. “I’m only 22 weeks.” April said, her hand also resting on her stomach next to James’.

“Yeah we don’t want the little man coming to early,” James said, his eyes widening as he felt the baby kick, James still loving the feeling. “You grow big and strong first.”

“Mummy,” Finn stood up and ran over to his mother. “Sam said he’s a girl.”

“Oh Sam is a girl?” April questioned, looking down to her eldest.

“No,” Finn shook his head. “The baby.” Finn put his hand onto April’s stomach, giving a grin as he felt his brother move.

“It’s not a girl,” April said. “Mummy’s having a little boy,” April ran her hand over Finn’s hair. “Someone else you can play Spiderman with and cars and trains.” April told him, thinking about all the things Finn liked that he could do with the new baby when he was old enough.

“No no no,” Finn shook his head. “You have to have a girl or I will run away.” Finn told her, a dead serious look on his face.

“Finn don’t be silly,” April told him. “You can’t run away.”

“Yeah,” Finn nodded his head. “I go live with Aunty Bee cos she’s got a girl baby.” Finn explained.

“Ah well you can go to Aunty Bee’s if you want.” James murmured, Finn cheering as he ran from the room saying he was going to get his things.

“Jay.” April slapped his chest.

James gave a little laugh. “Well maybe him staying over at Auntie Bee’s isn’t such a bad idea. Kaya can paint his nails and do his hair and make-up then they can listen to 5 Directions and One Second of Summer or whoever it is little girls listen to these days and then we’ll see how much he wants a sister.” James murmured as he moved his hands so they were wrapped around April’s waist, her bump resting against his stomach.

April gave a little laugh. “Maybe that’s not such a bad idea,” April murmured before they shared a kiss. “Oh but by the way it’s One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer.” April corrected him.

“Oh whatever.” James murmured before he kissed his fiancée again. The kiss deepened a little but April pulled back as Leo could be heard babbling from the next room, and indication he’d woken up from his nap.

“It was never going to happen in the middle of the day anyways,” April mumbled as she saw the look of disappointment in James’ face. “Now you go make sure Finn’s not packing to move out.” April said as she hit James’ chest before walking out of the nursery to get Leo from his nap.

Ruby was standing behind the bar, wiping over the top with a cloth, staring over to the table in the far corner. “If you rub that any more you’ll rub a hole right through it.” Heath said, handing Ruby a drinks order.

“Sorry.” Ruby murmured as she took the order from Heath, getting a beer glass and beginning to pour the beer from the tap. Heath looked behind him in the direction Ruby was still staring in.

“I can spit in her soup or something.” Heath said, giving a cheeky grin as he looked back to Ruby.

Ruby shook her head as she looked back to the beer, just in time as it was about to spill over the edge of the glass. “It’s not like she’s done anything wrong. I mean Evan is a single guy she can go on a date with him if she wants.” Ruby tried to stay strong but it really hurt her to see Evan with another woman and to top it off, she was gorgeous, with her long blonde hair flowing loosely passed her shoulders and her blue eyes sparkling under the light.

“Well if you ask me it’s a little insensitive of him to bring her here,” Heath said as he watched Ruby making up a vodka and cranberry juice. “He knows you work here on weekends and it’s just like he’s throwing it in your face.”

“He’s just making it clear he’s moving on.” Ruby mumbled as she squeezed a little lime into the glass before putting the lime wedge into the drink and adding a black straw for the final touch. She put the drinks up on the bar and Heath transferred them to the tray.

“Well if you ask me you are much pretty than her.” Heath said, giving a little wink before he took the tray into his hands and walked away from the bar, Ruby exhaling sadly as she couldn’t take her eyes off Evan and his date.

Thank you Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover and Laura for the comments. :)

one hundred and fifty

“Whoa,” James lay back down against his pillows. He took a few short breaths before turning to face April and putting her hand on her stomach, his eyes widening at how hard it was. “Is the little man okay in there?” James sounded worried.

“He’s fine,” April turned onto her side, smiling at her fiancé. “It’s just hard after the events of what we just did,” April told him. “It’ll soften again in about 10 minutes,” April spoke softly as her hand went over James’. “Ahh I can’t believe we are having a third boy,” April said. “You are going to need to teach the three of them how to behave.”

“Me?” James questioned.

“Well yeah,” April retorted. “You are their father, you are their male role model. You need to be the one to set example and show them how to treat women.” April told him.

“You just saying that so I treat you nicely?” James laughed.

“You should be treating me nicely anyways,” April gasped as she hit his chest. “I’m supposed to be the love of your life.” April said.

“Well I don’t know about that,” James murmured. “I like you but to call you the love of my life?” James spoke with a questioning tone as April once again slapped him. “For one thing you hit me way too much,” James said, looking behind April as her phone beeped. “Who is texting you at this hour?” James questioned, seeing from the glare on the digital clock that it was almost 1am.

April turned around and picked up her phone, seeing she had a new email from her mother. “Ugh it’s my mum.” April muttered.

“Is she in Australia?” James questioned.

“I don’t know.” April shrugged as she put her phone on silent before putting it back on the bedside table, not even bothering to look at the email.

“So you’re not even going to read it?” James questioned as April turned to face him again.

“It’ll still be there in the morning,” April yawed. “And it’s not like she’s mother of the year,” April murmured. “Bar a few emails we’ve hardly had any contact. She’s never met you or the boys, the first time she saw Kaya was also the last time she saw her and she was like a few months old then.”

“But she is still the woman who gave you life,” James exhaled. He knew April didn’t like talking about her mother but always wished she’d reconnect with her, given at least, April still had a mother around, even if she did live in Germany. “Just……just see what she has to say.”

“I will in the morning,” April raised her voice a little. “Jay she’s…..she knows about Kaya, Jessica and the boys and she’s never sent one birthday card, a Christmas card, nothing,” April exhaled. “She left me in Bianca’s care when I was just 13 years old to go off and live with a guy half her age so sorry if I’m not rushing to see what it is she has to say in that email,” April sighed. “She’s probably just replying to the one I sent her about 4 months ago telling her I was expecting again and it’s probably just going to be giving me a telling off and telling me how irresponsible we are to be pregnant again.”

“Right,” James exhaled. “Well just remember she is still your mother.” James murmured.

“Yes, I hear you. Jeez,” April muttered under her breath. “Goodnight.” April said before turning to sleep.

Brax’s surgery had gone well. He was very drowsy and tired on the Friday following his operation so Charlie and the kids just had a short visit, letting Brax rest. Now it was Saturday they’d gotten up and had a quick breakfast before going straight to the hospital to see him. “Dad.” Daniel beamed as he walked into the room first, Georgia next, followed by Kobe then lastly Charlie with Emmi.

“Hey Dan the man,” Brax grinned at him, Daniel just staring blankly, Brax never having called him this before. “Little Gee, Pickles, Kobsters,” Brax looked to all his kids with the grin still on his face. “And there’s Charlotte, my oh so sexy wife,” Brax said. “Isn’t she so sexy?” Brax looked to the nurse who’d been checking on him. “Baby this is Vivian. Viv….Viv….Vivian,” Brax gave a little chuckle. “My favourite nurse.”

“He’s a little doped up on painkillers right now,” Vivian said as she turned around to face Charlie. “But like your husband said, I’m Viv. One of his recovery nurses. Lovely to meet you, Charlotte.”

“Call me Charlie.” Charlie gave the woman a smile. She’d be in about her late forties, Charlie guessed, with short dark hair and greyish eyes behind some navy rimmed glasses which matched in nicely with her navy blue uniform.

“He keeps calling the baby Pickles,” Viv said, looking at Emmi who had locked her eyes on Viv, staring her dead in the face, Emmi obviously interested in who this new face was. “Tells me it’s her real name.”

“Oh it is,” Georgia said. Viv looked down to Georgia who had already climbed up on Brax’s bed and made herself rather comfy sitting close to her father. “Baby Pickles.”

Kobe gave a little giggle before looking at Viv, a rather serious look on her face. “She’s called Emmi,” Kobe told her. “That’s Georgia, I’m Kobe and he’s Daniel,” Kobe said, pointing from Georgia to himself then to Daniel. “So are you looking after my daddy?”

“I sure am,” Viv said smiling at the boy before looking back to Brax. “Well I’ll leave you to your fan club for now,” Viv told him. “I’ll be back in an hour.” Viv said.

“Missing you already,” Brax gave a cheeky grin and Viv shook her head as she laughed, leaving the room without looking back. “But not as much as I’ve missed you sexy,” Brax said as he looked to Charlie. “Come give me some sugar.” Brax made kissing lips as Charlie walked over, leaning down and placing a kiss on her husband’s lips.

Ruby was out for a morning run on the beach. She saw them in the distance, Evan carrying his surfboard under his arm as the mystery girl walked beside him, a beach bag over one shoulder. She slowed down a little, her gaze staying on them thinking they’d either met really early or their date from last night was still going on. She’d came to a complete stop as watched them sitting down on the sand next to each other, mystery girl laughing at something Evan had said. Ruby bowed her head sadly, wishing it was still her he was making laugh but knew she only had herself to blame from their relationship ending. She a deep breath before shaking her head, trying to rid herself of any thoughts on wanting to be with Evan before she started running again, making her way up the beach and running along the grass till she reached the diner. She took a moment outside to get her breath back before she walked in, pulling her headphones out of her ears as she walked to the counter. “Hey Leah,” Ruby still sounded a little out of breath. “Just an orange juice to go please.” Ruby made her order as she pulled a $5 note out from her running pants.

“How’s Brax?” Leah questioned as she prepared Ruby’s juice for her.

“Fine as far as I am aware,” Ruby answered. “I’m going up to see him tomorrow.” Ruby gave a little smile at the thought. It had only been a couple of days since she’d last saw him but she’d gotten used to seeing him every day again with her living back at their house so she was missing having him around and of course, she was keen to see how he was doing after the surgery.

“Well give him my love,” Leah said as she took the note from Ruby and rang her juice through the till before handing her her change.

“I will do.” Ruby said as she put her change into her pocket and took her juice before leaving the diner, not looking where she was walking as she was going to put her headphones back into her ears for the walk home, she bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” The man said. “Oh Rubes, it’s you.”

Ruby looked up to see it was Owen, who was in one of her classes at uni. “Owen, hey,” Ruby smiled. “How’s it going?”

“Good,” Owen smiled. “And you?”

“Will be better once I get home and feel normal again after this run.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“Not used to exercise?” Owen questioned. “Actually, with a body like yours I am sure you are.”

“Nah, I….” Ruby trailed off. She used to go running a lot with Evan, Evan of course in school to become a PE teacher so was always wanting to do something sporty. “I just got out of the habit.” Ruby said, having not ran much since she’d moved home.

“Well maybe you just need to find a running partner,” Owen gave her a soft smile. “Hey, we should go out together.” Owen suggested.

“Are you asking me to go out running with you or are you asking me on a date?” Ruby wondered.

“If I was going to ask you on a date I wouldn’t offer to go running with you,” Owen told her. “I’d ask you out for coffee.”

“Right.” Ruby felt a little embarrassed at her mistake and could feel her cheeks going red, or more red considering she’d been running so was already pretty red.

“So, would you like to go for a coffee sometime?” Owen questioned, smiling softy as he gazed into her mesmerising green eyes.

“Uhm,” Ruby pursed her lips as she looked beyond Owen and down to the distance of the beach where Evan and the mystery girl were still sitting laughing with each other. “Sure. We should go for coffee.” Ruby answered, thinking if Evan was moving on, maybe she should try to as well.

Archived