Forever and Always

One hundred and fifty-one

April was pushing the buggy as James walked beside her, Finn and Leo walking a little in front. “So, did you ever read the email from your mother?” James questioned as they made their way to the diner to meet Evan and Annabelle.

“Yes,” April answered through gritted teeth. “Why?”

“I just wondered if you were going to share what she had to say?” James questioned, looking out to see the boys hadn’t wandered too far in front before looking down to April.

“Well,” April exhaled. “After giving me an earful for being pregnant again she said she was coming back to Australia and she would love to meet you and the boys.”

“Oh well that’s good news right?” James questioned. “You get to reconnect with your mum and I can meet my mother-in-law and the boys get their grandma in their lives.”

“I dunno,” April shrugged. “It’s not as simple as that Jay.”

“Isn’t it?” James questioned.

“She’s been gone like 9 years,” April said. “If she thinks she can just waltz back into our lives, then,” April shook her head. “It’s not going to be like that.”

“But hun she’s your mum,” James said. “I’d give anything to see my mum again. How can you be so cold?”

“Because the situations are totally different,” April sighed, sounding a little frustrated at him. “You’re mum didn’t chose to leave you. She died. Joanna on the other hand?” April questioned. “She abandoned me.”

“Joanna.” James raised his eyebrows at hearing her call her mother by her name.

“Jay don’t start,” April spoke through gritted teeth. “This way boys.” April said, Leo and Finn looking around and running over as James opened the door to the diner, April pushing the buggy through before the boys ran in.

“Uncle Evan,” Finn grinned as he ran over and took a seat at the table, Evan and Annabelle already there. “Hi.”

“Alright dude?” Evan questioned as April took a seat. James lifted Leo into the high chair Evan had brought across to the table before he took a seat next to April.

“Yeah,” Finn answered, staring at Annabelle. “Who’s she?” Finn scrunched face up.

“I’m Annabelle.” Annabelle smiled at the boy but he just stared at her blankly.

“Evan why isn’t you with Ruby anymore?” Finn questioned. “I like her better than her.” Finn said, glaring at Annabelle before looking back to Evan.

“Finn that’s not very nice,” April said. “You’ve just met Annabelle. You don’t know how nice she is.”

Finn folded his arms across his chest as he shook his head, sitting back in the chair and staying quiet. “So is Annabelle my cousin too or just yours?” James questioned.

“She’s from my mum’s side of the family so just my cousin.” Evan answered.

“So, how long are you in the bay for?” April wondered.

“I’ll probably stay a week before heading home,” Annabelle answered. “I’ve been travelling Asia for the last few months and I had to fly back to Sydney before heading to Adelaide anyways so thought I’d come visit my baby cousin before going home.” Annabelle spoke in a baby voice as she pinched Evan’s cheek.

“We are the same age.” Evan said, pulling her hand from him.

“I’m 4 months older, actually.” Annabelle said, April and James giving a little laugh.

“Travelling must have been fun though,” April said. “I’d have loved to have travelled between high school and uni.”

“Why didn’t you?” Annabelle questioned.

“Well I got pregnant with this one at 16 so….” April pointed to Finn as she trailed off.

“Oh I wouldn’t have let that stop me,” Annabelle said. “Strap the kid to your back and bring it with you.”

“I’m not sure backpacking with an infant would be the easiest or most sensible thing to do,” April said. “But hey it’s not like I missed out backpacking for nothing,” April smiled as she ran her hand through Finn’s hair. “I got my amazing son,” April said. “So anyways, what’s Evan done with you since you’ve been here?”

“She only arrived yesterday afternoon dear so I assume not much.” James mumbled.

“Yeah, eh we just went to that restaurant last night. Charlie’s?” Annabelle gave Evan a questioning look, not sure if she’d remembered the name right. “And we were at the beach this morning but that’s all so far.”

“Well that’s pretty much all there is in this town,” April told her. “Was Ruby working at the restaurant last night?” April wondered, knowing if Ruby had seen them together she’d probably get the wrong idea.

“Yeah,” Evan answered. “She kept her distance though. How is she doing?” Evan wondered, April and James seeing from his face that he clearly missed her.

“She’s, -” James started to talk but April cut him off.

“You could always as her yourself,” April said. “I’m sure she’d love to hear from you. Even if you are just being friendly.” It wasn’t that April was trying to push them back together. She just missed hanging out with the both of them at the same time and hoped they could get to a point where they could be friends.

“I don’t know,” Evan pursed his lips before reaching for the menu. “I’m hungry so we should order.” Evan said, fast changing the subject of him talking to Ruby.

Bianca, Heath, Kaya and Jessica had made a trip up to Sydney to see Brax. Charlie and the kids had left to get some lunch, allowing Bianca, Heath and the girls in to see Brax, of course 9 people in the room a little too much at once. “Uncle Brax,” Kaya beamed. “We got you this gift bag,” Kaya handed it to out to him. “Mum wanted to get you flowers but I said they were for girls so we got you this stuff instead.”

“Aww well thank you.” Brax opened the bag and pulled out a box of cookies, a puzzle book with brain teasers in and two pairs of slipper socks.

“Ah these will keep my feet warm. Thank you Kaya.” Brax kissed the girl’s cheek before giving her a hug.

“Will you be in hospital for long?” Kaya questioned.

“I don’t know,” Brax shrugged. “Just need to see how well I recover.”

Kaya scrunched her face up a little. “Well I hope you get home soon.”

“Me too. I miss the kids and Charlie,” Brax said. “And the food in here actually makes me miss Charlie’s cooking,” Brax scrunched his face up and Kaya giggled.

“So, have I still got a restaurant to come home to or have you ran it into the ground?” Brax wondered as he looked to Heath, a cheeky grin on his face.

“Don’t you be worrying about your restaurant eh. Just concentrate on your recovery.” Heath said, wanting Brax to get back to full health in good time.

“It’ll be a lot easier for me to recover if I know I have a job to get back too.” Brax murmured.

“The restaurant is doing fine,” Bianca told him, Jessica on her knee as she stared intently at her uncle. “Besides, Ruby won’t let this one do anything stupid. She’s keeping him in line.” Bianca said and Brax gave a little laugh, before wincing as he ran his hand over his side where the incision had been made.

“I think she’s coming to see me tomorrow,” Brax said. “So I’m sure she’ll let me know everything.” Brax smiled at the thought of Ruby coming to see him, of course Brax thinking of Ruby just like one of his own daughters.

“Quit talking about me like I’m not here,” Heath murmured. “I love working at that restaurant and I am more than capable of running it in your absence.”

“I know,” Brax told him, a grin still on his face.

“Uhm, uncle Brax?” Kaya questioned, glancing at his gifts that he’d put on the bedside table.

“What cupcake?” Brax looked at her, keen to know what she wanted to say. He had a pretty good idea but wanted her to ask anyways.

“Well….will you open the cookies soon?” Kaya looked shy as she spoke. Brax gave a little laugh as he handed her the pack of cookies, glad to see his brother, Bianca and the girls had paid him a visit.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you :)

one hundred and fifty-two

After having a coffee, Owen and Ruby went for a walk. The conversation had been easy but of course they’d known each other for nearly 4 years and had the same interest in music. “So you are going to be a music teacher?” Owen questioned as they made their way across the grass towards the woodland trail.

“I hope so,” Ruby answered. “But I like writing songs and composing music so maybe I’ll go into song writing for some big recording artist.” Ruby said, still not really sure what she’d do once she got her degree in music.

“You’ve got a lovely voice,” Owen told her. “Maybe you could be that recording artist you write for?”

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t want to be a singer. I’d rather be behind the scenes. So, like I said song writing or a teacher. I’m not so sure yet. What about you, what do you want to do?”

“Score movies,” Owen answered. “So compose the music that plays over parts in movies.”

“I know what that is,” Ruby told him. “I do take the same class as you you know.”

“Sorry yeah,” Owen cleared his throat. “So aside from music what else you in to?” Owen wondered. Owen and Ruby didn’t really have the same group of friends so didn’t really know each other that well outside of school.

“Uhm,” Ruby pursed her lips. “Surfing, shopping, movies,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “Just you know, the normal things.”

“A surfer chick,” Owen raised his eyebrows. “You’ll have to teach me. I’ve never tried.”

“Yeah, sure. One day.” Ruby said.

“Maybe tomorrow?” Owen questioned. “If you’re not busy that is.” Owen really liked Ruby but he didn’t want to come off to strong.

“I can’t tomorrow,” Ruby told him. “I’m going to Sydney.”

“Oh okay. Well just let me know when you can,” Owen gave her a smile, Ruby smiling back at him. She was having a good time with Owen, but right now only saw him as Owen, her classmate. “We should take this path,” Owen said, pointing to the right. “There’s a gorgeous lookout not too far away.” Owen said, as they walked in that direction, Ruby knowing she needed to try to get over Evan and maybe giving Owen a chance was a way to make that happen.

Charlie walked into the hospital room, Brax’s face lighting up into a smile as he saw her. “I was beginning to think you were never coming back,” Brax said, looking behind her for a moment, his face squinting as he saw no kids walking in. “What have you done with the minions?”

“Left them at the hotel,” Charlie answered. “Daniel is under strict instruction to bath the girls and put them down to bed before I get back.” Charlie spoke with such a straight look on her face Brax believed she was serious for a moment.

“No really,” Brax said. “Where are they?”

“You’re favourite nurse thought it might be nice for us to have some alone time together,” Charlie said as she climbed up onto the bed as snuggled herself next to Brax, careful not to pull at any of the tubes and wires that were coming from him. “She just finished her shift but said she would watch them for a little bit for me,” Charlie told him. “The kids were happy enough when I said they could get a can of pop and some chips that they didn’t need to come see you.”

“Well that was very nice of Viv,” Brax said, his arm wrapping around Charlie as he kissed the top of her head. “How’s Daniel doing now?” Brax questioned, actually glad to get some time to talk to Charlie alone.

“I think he is okay now,” Charlie answered. “But was still a little worried that something could still happen you. I caught him last night looking at after surgery complications on my laptop,” Charlie said. “I had another talk with him and he said he’d stop worrying but I just hope he does.”

“Poor mite.” Brax murmured.

“Nice socks.” Charlie said glancing to Brax’s feet that were sticking out from the bed sheet.

“They’re from Kaya,” Brax told his wife. “My feet were pretty cold and since my wife didn’t think to pack me socks I’m glad my niece thought to get me some,” Brax spoke with a cheeky tone. “At least I’ve got someone looking out for me.”

“So between being looked after by Viv and Kaya are you saying you don’t need me?” Charlie questioned.

“Well, no I guess I don’t.” Brax answered, a cheeky grin desperate to burst out onto his face.

“Well it’s a shame I am the only one who can provide you with a loving kiss eh?” Charlie said. “But if you don’t need me then maybe I’ll just head back to the bay,” Charlie made like she was going to get up from the bed but Brax moaned as he pulled her back. “Oh so you do want me to stay?” Charlie questioned, Brax giving a little nod. Charlie stifled a laugh as she leaned in and placed a kiss on his lips.

“Of course I do,” Brax answered. “You are my rock.”

“Well I’m not sure about that,” Charlie murmured. “But I am here all the same.” Charlie said as they cuddled into each other, both of them savouring the moment.

April was bathing the boys. They’d both been washed and were now getting some play time. Finn wound up the dolphin then the turtle before letting them go, Leo watching in delight as they whizzed around the water. “You’ve got another email from you mum,” James said as he walked into the bathroom, handing April’s iPhone out to her. “Hun.” James spoke up a little as she didn’t look round to him.

“Yeah I heard,” April said. “I’ll read it after I get the boys to bed.”

“Will you reply this time?” James murmured as he smiled down at Leo who handed the turtle up to him. James wound it up again before putting it in the water, Leo clapping as it once again whizzed around the water.

“Look Jay,” April exhaled. “I understand that you just want me to reconnect with my mother but I know her and I know that she’s not going to be around for long if she does even come to start with,” April told him. “You have to just let me do this my way.”

“Okay. Fair enough,” James murmured as he put April’s phone down by the side of the sink. “Eh Evan text before asking if we wanted to go out for dinner with him and Annabelle tomorrow night.”

“Uhm yeah if someone can watch the boys.” April answered, it now her turn to wind up the toys, taking both of them into her hand as Leo handed them to her.

“I’ve already asked Grams,” James told her. “She said she can watch them.”

“Are we staying at Gammas?” Finn said, hearing what his parents were saying.

“Tomorrow,” April told him, Finn grinning, clearly happy at the plan of being at Gamma’s house for the night. “Right a few more minutes then it’s time to get out, okay?” April said, Finn giving a little nod as he started playing with his boat as April lifted Leo from the tub, James handing her his towel. She wrapped Leo up and started to dry him, Leo giving a little yawn, ready to be put to bed.

one hundred and fifty-three

Ruby, Charlie and the kids went back to the hotel after a day visiting Brax. The boys really wanted to get room service for dinner before Ruby would take them back to the bay for school the next day. “I’m picking first.” Kobe ran into the room first, Georgia following behind him, the Daniel, Charlie and Ruby walked into the room. Charlie had noticed Ruby was a little quieter than usual and hoped she’d talk with her before going back home.

“Mum,” Ruby said, as if she’d read Charlie’s mind. “Can we talk?” Ruby gestured over to the balcony. Charlie glanced at the kids, Kobe and Georgia fighting over the room service menu as Daniel tried to get if from them.

“Georgia you can’t even read. Let your brothers help you,” Charlie said, Georgia frowning as she let go, much to the delight of Kobe. “Daniel watch your siblings for a minute okay? Charlie said as she placed Emmi into the centre of one of the beds, walking over to the cot and lifting out her hippo teddy before handing it to Emmi, Emmi’s little face lighting up as she hugged the hippo close to her as she chilled out on the bed. She looked at Ruby who walked over to the balcony and stepped outside, Charlie following after her. “What’s wrong sweetie?” Charlie questioned. “Are you just worried about Brax? Because he is going to be fine.”

“I know,” Ruby answered. “It’s,” Ruby pursed her lips. “Evan was on a date and I….” Ruby bowed her head.

“Oh I’m sorry.” Charlie said, seeing Ruby looked upset at the thought of Evan moving on.

“I….I was asked out too,” Ruby said. “From a guy in my class. Owen. We went on this date and he was really sweet and funny and I had such a good time but he’s not….” Ruby trailed off as she bowed her head. “He’s not Evan.”

“Well at least you gave dating someone else a try,” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s arm as she spoke. “And that’s a start, right?” Charlie said. “If you don’t want to see this Owen guy again then you don’t need too. But at least now you know that you are opening to trying.”

“But that’s the thing,” Ruby sniffed back. “I’m not. I love Evan so much and it was so hard for me to let myself love him after losing Dex and now I’ve lost Evan too and it’s just too much and I don’t…” Ruby took a moment. “If I can’t be with Dex or Evan then I don’t want to be with anyone.”

Charlie exhaled softly as she wiped a tear from Ruby’s cheek with her thumb. “You’ll get there in time, sweetie. You might not think it right now but you will.”

“I just want him to give me another chance. I’d do anything mum, I would.” Charlie hated seeing her daughter so upset but really was at a loss. She couldn’t exactly force Evan into getting back together with her.

“I know you would,” Charlie said after a lengthy pause. “But if Evan can’t find it in his heart to forgive you then -”

“I know,” Ruby cut Charlie off, not wanting to hear it. “I just wish I wasn’t so stupid. One stupid little thought I had ruined everything.” Ruby cried, Charlie pulling her daughter into a hug, thinking right now, a little bit comfort might be better than words.

April and James walked back into the house after their meal with Evan and Annabelle. “Oh I need to get out of these shoes,” April kicked her shoes off before she fell back onto the couch. “My feet are killing me.” April leaned her head back against the cushions on the couch.

“Want a massage?” James questioned, sitting at the other end of the couch and tapping his hand against his thigh. April turned so she was lying across the couch, placing her feet up onto his thighs as she propped some cushions behind her back as she rested against the arm of the chair.

“Ugh, I ate way too much.” April rubbed her hand over her stomach. She’d eaten a starter and half of James’ starter, her main plus a side dish of extra fries then for dessert she couldn’t decide between the white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake or the chocolate brownies with ice-cream and chocolate sauce so ended up taking both and of course she needed to have a taste of James’ chocolate torte.

“Are you finally full?” James gasped as he stopped rubbing her foot for a moment. April cocked her head to the side as she furrowed her eyebrows.

“It’s not my fault,” April continued to rub her stomach. “He’s a very hungry baby.”

“Like I’ve said before you are eating enough for triplets.” James joked.

“Oh gosh I couldn’t ever imagine having triplets,” April murmured. “Just this one little man in enough at once,” April said. “And then, after he arrives and I mean it Jay, no more babies.”

“Ever?” James questioned. “What about our hopes for a little girl?”

“No more,” April shook her head. “And the best way for us to ensure no more babies is for one of us to get a little operation.”

James widened his eyes. He did not want anyone going near him down there with any sharp tools. “But hun, we are so young. Do you think they’d allow it?”

“Well we’ll have 3 kids by then,” April answered. “I think they will. More so for you than me,” April told him. “But I...I’m good with the three boys.”

“Right,” James pursed his lips, a little surprised. When they talked about their future family they always had at least 6 kids running around their dream home. “Well we can see if you still feel the same after little man arrives.” James hoped she’d change her mind. Of course he understood she wanted to finish uni and work for a while and he’d be fine with not having another child for at least 5 more years but still wanted to have more and of course hopefully get that longed for daughter. “So you don’t ever want another?” James questioned. “No even way in the future to try for a girl?”

“I’ll tell you what,” April said, her hands still on her stomach as James continued to massage her feet. “The day men can carry a child will be the day I’ll tell you we can have baby number 4.” April said, James sighing a little, choosing not to say anything further on the matter for now.

“Well anyways,” James said, changing the subject. “We’ve got the night to ourselves. How about we make the most of it and have an early night?” James questioned, his hand sliding up her foot and gently caressing her leg as he looked at her suggestively.

“Eugh I am way to full for sex,” April mumbled. “So how about you just keep this massage going?” April told him, James giving a little nod as he went back to massaging her feet.

“So what do you think she wants?” Heath handed Bianca the glass of wine as he sat down on the couch next to her with a beer.

“Search me.” Bianca shrugged.

“You think she’s contacted April too?” Heath asked before taking a swig of the beer.

“Probably,” Bianca answered. “April won’t be happy I’d expect. I know I was angry at her when she left but I was 23, I was with Liam, I...” Bianca paused for a moment. “April was only just turned 13. She....she really needed a mum and...” Bianca looked angry as she spoke. “I really tried my best with her but I dunno, maybe I didn’t do so good.”

“What you talking about?” Heath questioned. “April’s turned into a fine young woman.”

“She’s 22 and pregnant with her third child,” Bianca retorted. “I know she is an amazing mother but she’s young and mum is going to blame me for her getting pregnant so young.”

“It’s not your fault. You couldn’t have locked her up. If she wanted to have sex then there was nothing you could have done to stop that,” Heath told her. “And I’m pretty sure you told me April and Xavier were careful. They were just unlucky.”

“Yeah but -” Bianca exhaled.

“But nothing,” Heath spoke softly as he rubbed Bianca’s arm. “Beside you think if Joanna had stuck around April wouldn’t have had sex with her boyfriend?” Heath questioned and Bianca shook her head a little. “Anyways what I was going to say was do you think she’s back in Australia?” Heath questioned. “Like what if she wants you see you and be a mother, a grandmother?”

“I....” Bianca bit her lip. “I don’t know.”

“It might be nice for the girls to have their grandmother around,” Heath said. “I know Irene is great with them but they’d have a biological one.”

“So, you let your mother know about the kids then?” Bianca questioned.

“I’ve not spoken to my mother in like.....” Heath let out a puff of air. “I’m going to say 16 years.”

“Well then,” Bianca exhaled. “Don’t force me to reconnect with my mother if you won’t with yours.”

“I’m not doing that at all,” Heath said. “I will support whatever choice you make.” Heath gave her a smile as he rubbed her cheek.

“Thanks.” Bianca gave him a smile before they leaned in and shared a kiss.

one hundred and fifty-four

“Georgia,” Charlie lightly rubbed her daughters arm. “Georgia, sweetie it’s time to get up.” Charlie spoke softly. It was after 9 and Georgia had already had a lie in, Charlie not wanting her to sleep too much and be cranky because of over sleeping.

“Nooo.” Georgia gave a little moan as she turned around in the bed, pulling the cover over her head.

“C’mon,” Charlie lightly rubbed her back. “Don’t you want to come see daddy?” Charlie questioned. Georgia moaned as she kicked the covers from herself, her hands rubbing her eyes before she opened them, blinking quickly a few times before looking Charlie in the eyes.

“No,” Georgia said, seemingly changing her mind and pulling the covers back over her so only her eyes were sticking out from the top. “I sleep all day.”

“Gee,” Charlie laughed as she ran her hand over Georgia’s forehead. “I’ll set Emmi on you.” Charlie said, glancing over to Emmi who was sitting in the middle of the other bed, her hippo in her hands.

“Pickles can’t do nothing.” Georgia muttered, her eyes still closed.

“That’s what you think,” Charlie said, walking over to the bed and lifting Emmi up before walking back to where Georgia was laying. “Get her Emmi.” Charlie said, placing Emmi down next to her sister. Emmi looked at her for a moment before her hands dropped hippo and went straight for her hair, taking it in her grasp. Emmi got a grin on her face as Georgia squealed.

“No, not my hair.” Georgia said.

“Then get up, c’mon missy.” Charlie said, starting to tickle her daughter. Georgia shrieked in laughter as she tried to wriggled away from her mother and baby sister.

“Okay,” Georgia said, sounding a little defeated. Charlie stopped tickling her as she sat up in the bed. “Can we have macca’s for breakie?” Georgia questioned as she pulled Emmi’s hand from her hair. Emmi frowning and looking like she was about to break into tears. Charlie handed her hippo and Emmi gave a grin as she took it back in her hands.

“No,” Charlie answered. “We are not going to McDonalds for breakfast.”

Georgia pouted as she moved her hair from in front of her face. “Lunch then.” Georgia said as she jumped down from the bed and ran over to the wardrobe to pick her outfit for the day.

“Sure we can go at lunch time.” Charlie said, watching to see what Georgia would choose.

“Yes,” Georgia cheered. “Just me and you and Pickles. No boys,” Georgia danced around a little. “They’s back with Ruby for school.” Georgia looked very pleased that she was getting taken to McDonalds when her brothers had to go to school.

“Ah mummy misses the boys.” Charlie said. It had only been one night but she still missed their cheeky little faces.

“Mummy,” Georgia gasped rather dramatically. “Where is my dress?”

“What dress?” Charlie lifted Emmi up from the bed and walked over to the wardrobe. “You’ve got lots of dresses sweetheart. What one did you want?”

“My dress,” Georgia shrieked. “My Snow White dress.”

“We didn’t bring your dress up clothes sweetie,” Charlie said. “You’ll have to pick something else.”

Georgia frowned, looking less than pleased with her mother for not bringing any dress up clothes. “We buy one at the shop?”

“No,” Charlie answered. “C’mon, just get something on so we can go see daddy.” Charlie said, Georgia sighing before she looked at her dresses, deciding which one to wear today.

The storm came as if from nowhere. It had been a lovely autumn day, the sun shining brightly, but just after Ruby had sent the boys to bed the rain started pouring down then came the roaring thunder and flashes of lightning. Kobe hated thunder storms and had already been up twice in only about 20 minutes. Ruby decided to go and check on him again, not wanting him to be lying in bed scared of the storm, especially when his parents were in the city. “Bud you okay?” Ruby whispered as she stood in the doorway. Kobe always kept his bedroom door open to let in a little light from the hallway in the room as well as having a night light installed next to the top of his bunk beds. “Bud,” Ruby walked further into the room, her heart skipping a beat to see he wasn’t in his bed. She walked out of the room and down the hall to the bathroom, but the door was closed and no light was coming from under the door so she knew he wasn’t in there. She went down to Charlie and Brax’s room thinking he may have went into their bed but was more alarmed to find he wasn’t in there either. “Kobe.” Ruby put her hand on her chest as she raced down to Daniel’s room, pushing the door – that was slightly ajar – open further and breathing sigh of relief as she saw Kobe in the bottom bunk, Daniel behind him in the bed.

“Shh,” Daniel put his index finger of his mouth. “He’s just fallen back asleep. He was too scared on his own.”

“That’s okay,” Ruby gave Daniel a smile. “He can stay in here,” Ruby said just as there was a crack of thunder and Daniel jumped in fright. “You okay?”

“Uh-uh.” Daniel nodded as he yawned.

“Okay well I’ll leave you to sleep. You’ve got school tomorrow,” Ruby said as she closed the door till it was almost shut before she walked back down the hall and made her way down the stairs thinking about having an early night herself. Just as she was about to go down to her bedroom, the doorbell rang. She was a little puzzled at who’d come to the house, it being so horrible outside and it being near to 10pm, she didn’t expect a visitor so late. She walked down the hall to the front door, looking out the side window before she opened it. “Evan.” Ruby was surprised to see him.

“Hey.” Evan said, as he ran his hand through his hair, it dripping wet from the short distance from the car to the front door.

“What are you doing here?” Ruby questioned, just as a flash of lightening lit up the sky.

“I miss you,” Evan told her. “I really do miss you.” Evan said.

“I...” Ruby felt confused. She thought he was over her after all she’d seen him out with mystery girl a couple of times. “Come in from the rain,” Ruby said, letting Evan into the warmth of the house. Evan gave a shiver as he took his shoes off, Ruby seeing he was soaked through. “Why did you come out in this weather?”

“Because I....I’ve been talking with Annabelle and she -” Evan started to talk but Ruby spoke over him.

“Who’s Annabelle?” Ruby questioned.

“My cousin,” Evan told her. “She’s visiting for the week. You know I have a cousin called Annabelle.”

“Annabelle,” Ruby said, her eyes widening. “Long blonde hair, blue eyes?” Ruby questioned and Evan nodded his head as he took his zippy hoodie off, hanging it from one of the hangers in the hall for coats, both of them watching as it dripped water on the floor. “She’s your cousin. Mystery girl is your cousin.” Ruby breathed a sigh of relief at the thought that Evan hadn’t moved on after all, and maybe, just maybe because he was here now, in her house and had come out in such terrible weather to tell her that he misses her, there was still a chance for them.

“Mystery girl?” Evan screwed his face up.

“I saw you with her at the restaurant and then the beach and I assumed.....” Ruby trailed off, watching Evan as he shivered. “Do you want to go for a shower?” Ruby questioned. “You can warm up and change into something of Brax’s then we can talk?”

“Yeah that’ll be good.” Evan gave her the littlest of smiles before he made his way to the stairs to get a hot shower and get changed out of his wet clothes.

one hundred and fifty-five

Evan walked back down the stairs. He’d warmed up in the shower and was now wearing a pair of Brax’s sweatpants and one of his t-shirts. “Hey.” Evan walked into the living room. Ruby looked up to him from watching the TV. She hit the power off button so they could talk without the distraction of TV background noise. Evan sat down on the couch, but at the opposite end to Ruby, leaving a gap between them.

“How was the shower?” Ruby questioned.

“Good,” Evan answered. “Probably not the smartest move to come out in weather like this.” Evan said. The storm had showed no sign of stopping, in fact, it seemed it was raining even heavier that before and the thunder cracks were getting louder and louder.

“Well at least you’re warmed up now,” Ruby murmured. “So why did you come?” Ruby just straight out asked it.

“I told you,” Evan sounded nervous as he spoke, one hand rubbing over the other. “I miss you. I...I’ve tried living without you Rubes and I....I can’t do it,” Evan said, turning more in the couch to face her. “These last four months without they’ve been....” Evan trailed off.

“I know how they’ve been,” Ruby told him, of course she too finding it hard being without Evan. “I’ve...I’ve been living it too.” Ruby said her lips pursing as she saw Evan moving a little closer to her in the couch.

“I eh.....I think I’ve been really hard on you,” Evan said. “I blamed you for all of this but if I didn’t push as much for a baby then none of this would have happened.” Evan spoke with sorrow in his tone as he bowed his head.

“It’s not your fault,” Ruby shook her head. “I choose to lie. I was in the wrong.” Ruby never tried to pass blame since the break-up but knew Evan needed to hear again that she knew she was responsible for how things ended them.

“Yeah but it was me who forced you to that point,” Evan said, looking up at her again. “So, we both did our part, really,” Evan exhaled. “But I....” Evan paused for a moment. “My head tells me that we shouldn’t be together but my heart,” Evan moved Evan closer to Ruby, taking her hand in his and rubbing it gently. “I miss you so much and I can’t be without you for a second longer.” Evan spoke quietly before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips.

Ruby smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen for a moment before she pulled back, her lips pursing as she looked up into his eyes. “Evan,” Ruby exhaled. “I want to be with you too, of course I do, but I....you have to be sure because I don’t want -”

“I’m sure,” Evan told her, his hand cupping her cheek. “Babe I just want you back.”

Ruby pursed her lips, not quiet believe she was doubting this. This was all she wanted for months but now it was a possibility, she didn’t know if it was the right thing to do. “But what about this baby thing?” Ruby questioned. “We’re clearly at different stages in our lives and are just going to hit that crossroad again in the near future?”

“We won’t,” Evan shook his head. “We are young; we have the rest of our lives to have children. Let’s just.....just be us again,” Evan said. “We don’t need to try right away. Maybe a year, two years down the line when we are done with uni and are working, then we can talk about it again.”

Ruby looked at Evan, who had a hopeful look on his face. “Us getting back together is all I’ve ever wanted.” Ruby spoke quietly as a smile appeared on her face. Evan grinned as he leaned in again to kiss her, Ruby wrapping her arms around his neck as the kiss deepened.

Ruby stretched in the bed before she opened her eyes, turning to see Evan laying in the bed next to her. She felt a smile instantly form on her face as she shuffled closer to him and ran her hand over his chest. “So it wasn’t a dream.” Ruby murmured.

“Hmm what did you say?” Evan mumbled as he rubbed his hands over his eyes, giving a stretch as he looked around to Ruby.

“I said so it wasn’t a dream.” Ruby gave a smile, remembering the night of passion with Evan.

“Oh it was very real.” Evan replied as he sat up in the bed.

“You don’t regret it, do you?” Ruby questioned this awful feeling in the pit of her stomach that Evan was going to wake up regretting their reunion.

“Not for a second,” Evan shook his head. “You are all I want.” Evan told her, Ruby smiling as she leaned in to kiss him.

“Ruby,” Ruby pulled back from the kiss as she heard Kobe’s voice. “Ruby you are late for our breakfast.” Kobe said, pushing the door opened. “Evan?” Kobe questioned. “Daniel, Daniel, Evan is here,” Kobe shrieked, clearly excited to see him. As an embarrassed looking Ruby pulled the covers up further, covering their nude bodies, Daniel came into sight at the door.

“Are you and Evan back together?” Daniel questioned. “Did he stay the night?”

“Uhm,” Ruby held the cover tightly against her. “Go to the kitchen,” Ruby told her brothers. “We’ll be through in a minute to get you some breakfast.” Ruby said, Daniel and Kobe disappearing from view. Evan looked to Ruby as he laughed before they got out of the bed and got some clothes on before going to get the boys some breakfast.

April had gone around to Olive’s to collect Leo. Finn had already been taken to school by Olive and April never had uni on a Monday at the moment. It would later be filled with a placement but they didn’t start for a couple of months yet. “Mama.” Leo walked speedily down the hall, a grin on his face, Leo very excited to see his mummy.

“Hey bud,” April lifted Leo into a hug, Leo resting his head on her shoulder as she rubbed his back. “You a good boy for Gamma?”

“Oh always is,” Olive said as they walked down the hall and into the living room. “You have a nice night last night?” Olive questioned as they took a seat in the living room.

“Yeah it was good,” April said as she put Leo down on the floor, Leo walking over to the toy box and started pulling out toys. “Thanks for having the boys.”

“Oh they are no problem,” Olive said. “I love having them here. I’ll do it any time for you.”

“Might not be saying that when we ask you to watch the three of them,” April stifled a laugh as she ran her hand over her bump. She still had almost 4 months to go, but looking at her you’d think she was further along, which made April worried that this baby was going to be a big boy compared to his brothers who were both relatively small babies, but given how hungry she felt and how much more she was eating during this pregnancy it was understandable that she was a little bigger and of course it was her third pregnancy. She looked to Leo who was walking back over to her with what looked like a diary in his hands. “What you got buddy?” April took it into her hands, a gorgeous blue book with little white doves on the cover.

“Finn found it last night,” Olive told her. “He wanted to go for a walk in the attic,” Olive gave a little laugh. “Anyways he found that and wanted to have a proper look at it,” Olive said. “It belonged to my Victoria,” Olive exhaled. “I think it was a diary. I thought James might like to see it.”

April scrunched her face up a little. “I don’t think Jay will want to read his mum’s diary.”

“Maybe more a journal,” Olive said, watching as Leo went back to playing with his blocks. “It’s full of stuff she did, things she did with James and stuff she wanted to do,” Olive told her. “You should take it for him. If he’s not interested you can always bring it back.”

“Yeah I guess,” April murmured, her hand running over the cover again. “So, anyways, my mum’s been in touch,” April spoke quietly. “She’s coming into town in a couple weeks time and wants to see me.”

“Oh,” Olive sounded surprised. “And do you want to see her?”

“I don’t know,” April shrugged. “I really don’t know.”

“Well if you are unsure I’d say the best thing to do is meet her. See what she has to say for herself and if after that you don’t want to see her again you don’t need to.” Olive said, April giving a little nod, thinking Olive might be right and that it wouldn’t hurt to go see her mother, even if it was just the once.

Brax and Georgia were playing a game of connect four. Brax picked up the red counter and put it into a slot, it falling down on top of a yellow counter of Georgia’s. “Daddy,” Georgia frowned. “I wanted there.” Georgia sighed. If she got to put her counter there she would have won the game.

“Better luck next time,” Brax said, Georgia continuing to frown at her father. She put her yellow counter into a different slot, Georgia getting a little help from Charlie at where she should play instead. “Hey mummy no cheating allowed.”

“No one is cheating,” Charlie said, bouncy Emmi on her knee, hippo being held tightly in Emmi’s little clutches. “I am simply helping our four year old beat daddy.”

Brax gasped, mocking offence. “If you are going to help anyone shouldn’t it be your husband who has just had surgery for cancer?” Brax questioned, his head cocking to the side a little.

“What you think just because you have cancer I am going to be nice to you?” Charlie questioned, her head shaking a little as she gave Brax a cheeky grin. “Little Gee will always get my help over you.” Charlie said, Georgia giving a little giggle as Brax played his shout.

“Me n mummy is girls,” Georgia said. “We stay together and you get,” Georgia paused for a moment as she pointed to Brax. “Daniel n Kobe.”

“Aww but Daniel and Kobe aren’t here,” Brax pouted. “Can I have Emmi boo to help me then?” Brax said, grinning at his baby daughter as she looked to him, a little grin on her face. “You want to help daddy, don’t you precious?” Brax questioned.

“No daddy,” Georgia shook her head. “Pickles is a girl too so she stays with us,” Georgia told him. “You need to play with yourself and me, mummy n Pickles will win you.” Georgia said, Brax giving a little laugh before reaching for a drink of his water. Although he was missing work and wished that he didn’t have cancer, he was enjoying all the time it allowed him to spend with his wife and children although he hoped soon he would be allowed to go home for the rest of his recovery, Brax fast getting tired of spending all day, every day in the hospital.

Thanks.

one hundred and fifty-six

April and James were lying in bed, April reading a book on pregnancy, although having been through it twice already, she wasn’t sure she’d learn anything more. James was looking at the journal that belonged to his mother. “Look, that’s me.” James showed April the page, April putting her book down on the bedside table. She looked at Victoria’s 20 week scan, underneath was written ‘Little Bubba Butler’. Victoria of course still pregnant so Derek was still around, would have assumed her baby would take it’s fathers surname.

“Interesting read, then?” April questioned as James brought the journal closer to himself again, turning the page.

“Mia Rose,” James said. “If I was a girl my name would have been Mia Rose.” James smiled, glancing round at April.

“You didn’t know that?” April questioned.

“If you were a boy do you know what you would have been called?” James replied.

“Jean-Baptiste,” April answered. James tried to hold back the laughter but it came out, and loudly. “What’s so funny about that?” April questioned, feeling a little offended. “My dad is French.”

“I know sorry,” James exhaled. “I just don’t think it’ll be a name on the list for this one,” James put his hand on April’s stomach, rubbing it softy as he felt the baby kicking. “Does he just constantly kick at bed time?”

“Between the hours of 9 and 12, yes,” April murmured. “He seems to think that’s play time, not bed time,” April put her hand over James for a moment before she looked back to him. “But speaking of names, have you got any more in mind you like?”

“Mia Rose,” James exhaled. “I love Mia Rose.”

“Well as lovely as that name is I don’t think our son would appreciate being called Mia Rose,” April said, leaning to the bedside table and picking up a different book, this one a book on baby names, opening it at an already marked page. “I like Zac. Do you like Zac?”

“Zac is nice but I prefer Isaac. It sounds more.....real,” James said for lack of better word. “But I do love Ruby’s suggestion of Caden. Finn, Leo and Caden. I think they go nicely together.”

“Yeah they do,” April said. “But I want a couple of names just in case. I was sure if Finn was a boy he was going to be called Cooper but he didn’t look like a Cooper when I saw him, so what if he doesn’t look like a Caden?”

“Well then we’ve got Isaac to fall back on,” James said, looking to the door as it creaked open and Leo walked sleepily into the room, his little lion teddy in his hands. “Hey little bro how did you get out of your cot?” James questioned, hoping they now didn’t have a little Houdini on their hands.

“It’s raining again.” April looked up as she heard Finn’s voice, this one most likely having got his brother from his cot.

“How did you get Leo out?” April questioned.

“Pushed a chair there,” Finn answered. “It’s raining like last night.” Finn said as he and Leo climbed up onto the bed.

“Yeah but there’s no thunder and lightning this time little dude,” James said. “And it’s only rain. It won’t harm you.”

“It’s loud,” Finn said as the boys slipped under the sheets, in between their parents. “Can’t you make it stop daddy?” Finn questioned, glaring up at him.

“No,” James stifled a laugh. “I’m afraid I can’t control the weather.” James told him, watching as Leo cuddled into April, seeing that it looked like the boys would be spending the night in their bed.

The rain was still going on the next day. April was under the cover of her umbrella as she walked up the path to the house. She knocked on the front door before she opened it, shouting out. “Hey, Bianca it’s me.” April said as she walked into the house, putting her umbrella down and leaving it against the wall at the door. Bianca walked down the hall from being in Jessica’s room, the little girl now awake in her mother’s arms.

“Hey, how was school?” Bianca questioned, Jessica giving a grin, looking very excited to see her auntie.

“Fine,” April answered as Bianca put Jessica down on the floor as sat down next to April on the couch. “You left Kaya there or something?” April gave a little laugh, seeing Kaya wasn’t home.

“She has swimming on a Tuesday,” Bianca answered. “Heath has her there.”

“Ah yeah,” April looked down as she felt her nieces little hands on her ankle. “What you saying bumblebee?” April cooed as she picked her niece up and sat her on her knee. Jessica looked up to her, her big blue eyes all wide as she grinned up at her. April smiled as she lightly tapped her finger off Jessica’s little nose, Jessica giving a little giggle before she cuddled into April. “So, you get the emails too?” April questioned. Bianca nodded, knowing exactly what email April was talking about. “You want to see her?”

“I ehm,” Bianca pursed her lips, giving a little nod. “I think we should see what she has to say,” Bianca spoke tentatively, not sure how April would react. “At least, I want too.”

April sucked in her bottom lip. “I don’t think I want too, but,” April paused for a moment. “Olive reckons just giving her one chance to explain herself, maybe I....” April stopped talking. “One time and if I can’t.....”

“One time,” Bianca agreed. “We can meet her together, see what she wants. See what we want to do.”

“Yeah,” April nodded, one hand rubbing over her stomach as her son kicked. “And she’s not coming for another few weeks so it’ll give us time to get what we want to say to her sorted too,” April said, placing a soft kiss on Jessica’s temple. “Hmm what do you think about Grandma coming to visit?” April questioned. “Because mummy and Auntie April aren’t very sure.” April cooed before looking to Bianca, seeing she looked just how she felt when it came to their mother.

Five days after Brax’s surgery and his doctor was impressed enough with his recovery to allow him to get more mobile and had given the okay for Brax to accompany Charlie and the kids to the hospital canteen and eat some dinner with them there. Ruby had brought the boys up to the hospital after school to see their father, so it really had happened on the best day possible, when Brax could enjoy time out of his hospital room with all his family being there. “So,” Brax took some water, a little out of breath from the walk from his ward to the canteen. “How was school today boys?”

“Good,” Kobe answered. “We leant about money in math,” Kobe said. “We had to go shopping and give Miss Bailey the money for what we bought.”

“Ah and did you get it right?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Kobe answered. “I bought milk and bread and needed to pay her $1.30 so uhm I gave uhm,” Kobe scratched his head, trying to remember. “A fifty cent coin and two twenty cent coins and two ten cent coins and 4 five cent coins.” Kobe said, a grin on his face.

“Good job buddy,” Charlie sounded proud of her son. “And only $1.30 for bread and milk?” Charlie questioned. “Can I come do the shopping at that store?” Charlie stifled a laugh as she spoke.

“It’s just pretend.” Kobe told her.

Brax gave a little laugh at his son before looking to Daniel. “What about you bud? What did you learn?”

“We did stuff on food chains,” Daniel answered. “We always at the top because nobody eats us.”

“No,” Georgia gasped, Emmi looking at her with a shocked little face from the high chair. “Daniel who eats us?” Georgia slapped both her hands against her cheeks, looking most shocked.

“No one. I said that,” Daniel said. “No one eats humans but we eat animals that eat other animals or grass and stuff.”

“Well sounds like you’ve both learnt something new.” Brax gave the boys a smile.

“Yeah,” Kobe grinned. “And you know what else?” Kobe questioned, looking back and forth from Charlie to Brax. “Evan stayed at our house.”

Charlie widened her eyes as she looked to her eldest daughter who had gone a little red. “Is that so?” Charlie said, seeing from Ruby’s facial expression that what Kobe said was the truth.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered with a smile. “He came round the other night and we talked and uhm....yeah,” Ruby raised her eyebrows, very aware she was talking to her parents and that her little siblings were there. “We’re going to give things another go.” Rub couldn’t take the smile off her face.

“Well we’ve got a lot to raise a glass for today then eh?” Brax said. “I’m recovering well and Ruby and Evan are back on,” Brax smiled as he picked up his glass. “I’d say we can drink to that,” Brax said as he and Charlie picked up their glasses of water. Ruby and the kids picked up their sodas and juice boxes and everyone leaned into the centre of the table, knocking their glasses, cans and juice boxes together, much to the delight of Georgia who was giggling. Emmi watched with great interest as she picked up her bottle from the high chair tray and lifted it out. Charlie clinked her glass against Emmi’s bottle as Emmi grinned as everyone took a drink to toast how well things were going for Brax and Ruby.

Thanks Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sarah.

one hundred and fifty-seven

After 10 days in hospital, Brax was finally allowed to go home. Charlie had let the boys stay home from school, just for the day so they could spent it with Brax, although they were told because he was still recovering they weren’t to annoy him too much. They were currently playing on the Xbox as Brax rested on the couch, watching as they played their favourite game, which was a skateboarding one. Ruby and Georgia were baking cookies in the kitchen and Emmi was having a nap. “Yeah and sorry we couldn’t be of help,” Charlie was talking on the phone as she walked back into the living room. “But give us a call again in the future. Yeah, okay bye.” Charlie hung up the phone and took a seat on the couch next to Brax.

“What was that about?” Brax wondered.

“It was Tanya,” Charlie told him. “She wanted us to take on two sisters but I said no.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well why would you say that?” Brax questioned. “I know Eli was a bit of a pain to look after but we got a wonderful son out of our first foster kid,” Brax said gesturing to Kobe who was too engrossed in the game to be paying attention to what they were saying.

“I know we did,” Charlie looked at the boy with a smile on her face, her heart pouring with love for little Kobe. “But you are still recovering from surgery and Emmi is still quiet young and Rubes is staying in the guest room right now so we don’t actually have the space for two more kids,” Charlie answered. Although Ruby and Evan were back together, she’d held off on moving back in with him for now, wanting to take the first few months slowly. “And the oldest one is 13,” Charlie said. “A teenage girl, we don’t need to be taking that on right now.”

“How do you know she’d give us trouble?” Brax questioned.

“Because she’s been in foster care most of her life and it may sound bad of me to say this but the majority of those kids are troubled,” Charlie exhaled. “I know it’s not their fault and they just want to be loved but right now we’ve enough on our plates. We need to just concentrate on you getting back to full health and being told you are in remission before we can take on any more foster kids.” Charlie spoke softly as she rubbed his thigh.

“Maybe you are right,” Brax murmured. “Besides it’ll be nice to be just us Braxton’s for a while. I know I wasn’t gone that long but I am in a lot better heath now so just being us again will be nice,” Brax exhaled. “And we still need to get little Emmi boo crawling.” Brax said, their baby daughter still not able to crawl.

“Maybe we don’t,” Charlie mumbled. “That’s just another one to keeps tabs on,” Charlie said. “At least right now we know where she is,” Charlie stifled a laugh. “If she is anything like Gee once she’s crawling she’ll be into everything.”

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “But we already know she’s not going to be as sassy and wild as trouble,” Brax answered. “She’s got such a sweet nature.”

“Because Georgia takes after you and Emmi clearly takes after me.” Charlie said, a cheeky grin forming on her face. Brax stifled a laugh as he shook his head.

“Well I guess we can’t all be as perfect as you, eh?” Brax mumbled before they leaned in for a kiss.

James was watching over the boys as they painted. “This for mummy.” Finn said as he dipped his brush into the blue paint before painting a sky on his picture.

“I’m sure she’ll love it bud,” James said before looking to Leo who’d stuck all his fingers in the red paint tray before looking down his hand, his fingers covered in the paint. “Leo,” James tried not to laugh at him. “Buddy don’t stick your hands in the paint.” James went to grab some baby wipes to wipe the paint from Leo’s little hand but stopped when he pressed all his fingers against the paper.

“Oh he is finger painting,” Finn sounded amazed at his brother. Of course at only 15 months, Leo didn’t actually come up with the thought of finger painting, he’d just stuck his hand in the paint and then onto his paper. “I want to do that too.” Finn said, throwing the brush down and sticking his hand into the orange paint, making a sun on his picture. Leo looked round to Finn before sticking his other hand in the blue paint tray, before squeezing his hand on the paper as he giggled, the paint squelching between his fingers.

“Hey boys, mamma is home.” James heard April’s voice before she was seen.

“Oh great,” James sighed. “Mummy is going to kill me for letting you boys do this.” James murmured as April walked into the room.

Leo squealed in delight as he jumped down from the chair and ran over to April, April throwing her bag and folders down to the floor as she bent down to Leo’s level to greet him. “Hey baby.”

“Mamma.” Leo grinned as he put his hands against her white top.

“Leo,” April shrieked as she saw he’d gotten paint on her, April now having one red and one blue handprint on her top. “James what the hell are you letting them do?” April said as she stood up.

“It’s non toxic child safe paint,” James told her. “Relax. It’ll come off them fine. They wanted to paint.”

“This is a brand new top.” April sighed as Leo whined, holding his hands up, wanting to be picked up by his mother.

“Well it’s not like it’ll fit you forever.” James murmured.

“What?” April lifted Leo up but kept him away from her body, not wanting any more paint to get onto herself, and not wanting to transfer the paint on her top onto her son’s clothes.

“Well it’s a maternity top. You won’t be pregnant or that size forever so, really, what’s the big deal?” James questioned as April put Leo back on his chair. Leo stared down at his hands before he slapped them against his face, Finn giggling at him, spurring Leo on to do it again.

“Yeah mummy it’s just paint.” Finn said, reaching for a baby wipe to wipe some off his hand so he could change colours.

“And there’s paint all over the table,” April muttered as she shook her head. “God James it would have been a good idea to put old newspapers or something down first.” April sighed. James knew when April called him James she was usually mad with him, otherwise it would have just been Jay.

“It’s no big deal,” James said. “It’ll come off and the boys are having fun.” James had to laugh at Leo, his face now covered in paint.

“I’m going to put him in the bath.” April said as she lifted Leo from the seat and left the kitchen, Finn staring up at James, his eyes all wide, knowing his mummy wasn’t in a good mood.

Ruby walked into the apartment she used to share with Evan. They’d been out for dinner together before taking a walk and ended back up at his place. “Well it’s a lot cleaner than I expected.” Ruby said as she looked around the place.

“I’m a little offended here,” Evan exhaled as he opened the fridge and took out two beers, unscrewing the caps before handing walking back over to Ruby, handing one to her. “You make it sound like you were expecting a mess.”

“Well I did used to live with you so.....yeah I kind of was expecting it to be messier,” Ruby said as they took a seat on the couch. “But I guess you realised it wasn’t little fairies who cleaned up then huh?”

“Yeah,” Evan gave a little laugh before taking a swig of his beer. “I’m a domestic goddess now though,” Evan grinned. “You’ll see that when you move back in.”

“Oh,” Ruby sounded a little surprised. “I ehm...I thought we agreed we wouldn’t rush back into that?” Ruby said, nervously pulling at the label on her beer.

“Well we did but then I thought, why not?” Evan questioned. “I mean, we’ve already wasted four months not being together, why waste more?”

“But Ev,” Ruby shook her head. “I think that could be the worst possible thing for us right now. We’ve just got back together. We don’t want to break-up again because we tried to move to fast, do we?”

“I....” Evan looked crushed. “Fine, whatever you don’t need to move back in ever again.” Evan retorted as he stood up from the couch and banged his beer down on the coffee table, it fizzing up and bubbling out of the bottle, dripping down onto the table.

“Evan, don’t be like that.” Ruby stood up, placing her beer down on the coffee table.

“I’m going to bed,” Evan said. “Stay if you want but you probably don’t want to since you don’t want to live with me.” Evan muttered before he walked down the hall to the bedroom, the door slamming shut.

Thank you.

one hundred and fifty-eight

After April bathed Leo, she went to her bedroom, not coming down for dinner and leaving James to deal with the boys and get them to bed. James knew April needed to cool down so he left her to have the time to herself. “Hun,” James spoke tentatively as he walked into their bedroom, carrying a bowl of pasta. “I thought you might be hungry,” James walked over the bed where April was laying in the foetal position, her hands hugging her bump. “April hun, what’s wrong?” James sounded a little worried, seeing April’s face was tear stained, it very obvious she’d be crying.

“I got another email from mum,” April sat up in the bed as James took a seat next to her, wrapping his arm around her as she cuddled into him. “She eh....she got a better offer from her toy boy. He’s taking her to Prague,” April sniffed back. “She’s not coming anymore and I know.....I know I said I didn’t want to see her but she....” April stopped talking as a tear rolled down her cheek. “She’s....”

“I know hun,” James spoke softly as he rubbed her arm. “She’s your mother.”

“What’s wrong with me?” April questioned, pulling away from his grasp and looking up at him. “Am I....am I that unlovable?” April wiped the tears from her eyes as she looked into James.

“You are loved so much,” James told her. “You’ve got me, the boys, this little man soon,” James said as he put one hand on her stomach. “Bianca, her girls, Rubes, Grams and Irene,” James told her as his other hand wiped a tear that fell from her eye. “If you mum doesn’t want to come here and see what an amazing, sweet, caring, gorgeous human being that you are then it’s her loss,” James told her. “But we have an amazing family hun, you don’t need that to include someone like your mum. You deserve better than her.”

April took a deep breath as she nodded her head. “I uhm...I’m also just really tired,” April told her. “I know this has been my easiest pregnancy but I’m tired. I am,” April nodded her head, James understanding her. Although it was an easy pregnancy, it was also her third, so she already had two young kids to look after. “And I’ve had a really bad migraine for over a day now,” April said. “I just wish it was time for him to be born. I’m over being pregnant.”

“Just a few more months,” James spoke softly. “Just think when we are holding our little man in our arms then all this will be worth it,” James said, giving her a smile as she rubbed her upper arm. “And maybe after he gets here we can take a little holiday,” James suggested. “Nowhere to far because he’ll just be little but somewhere.” James said, hoping the thought of a nice family holiday would keep April’s spirits up.

“Finn will have school,” April answered. “Me too, I guess. Although I’ll need to take time off.” April was due on the last day of their winter break from school, so knew she’d need to take time off. She just hadn’t decided what kind of break to take yet, be it just a couple of months and work extra hard to catch up or stop completely for six months, maybe even a year and be deferred to the class that started the year after her. All she knew was that she still wanted to be a doctor and wanted to prove that even though she had kids, she could still achieve that.

“Well, we’ll figure something out I’m sure,” James said, rubbing April’s arm as an idea popped into his head, that maybe it would be nice to take April away for a couple of days now, just her and him so she could take it easy for a couple of days. “Now, you need to eat. I want this little man to come out with squishy little cheeks.” James laughed as he handed her the bowl of pasta.

Emmi was sitting on the floor in Charlie and Brax’s bedroom. Brax was also sitting on the floor, but a good bit away from Emmi, holding on to her hippo teddy. “You want it?” Brax waved it out in front of him; Emmi’s little face lighting up as she reached out. “Come get it from daddy,” Brax said. Emmi let out a whiny sounding babble as she reached forward again, a puzzled look on her face at why she couldn’t reach it.

“Come, on Emmi boo, come to daddy.” Brax said. Emmi got herself onto all fours and started swinging back and forth. She let out a frustrated cry before she moved one arm forward, then fell onto her stomach.

“Will you stop tormenting her?” Charlie walked out of their en-suite and over to Emmi, lifting her up into her arms.

“I’m not tormenting her,” Brax followed Charlie with his eyes he stood up from the floor. “I’m being a good dad and trying to show her how to

crawl.”

“But you’re not,” Charlie exhaled. “You’re just leaving her to do it herself,” Charlie said. “Maybe she’ll learn to crawl if you showed her.”

Brax gave a little laugh as he walked over to the bed and got up onto it and sat next to Charlie as she unhooked her bra, Emmi immediately latching onto her breast to get her bedtime feed. “Kobe and Georgia have crawled around that floor many a time,” Brax said, playing with the hippo teddy that was still in his hands. “She just stares at them with this goofy little grin.” Brax said.

“Well I like that she can’t crawl yet,” Charlie said. “She’s my baby and I want her to stay my little cutesy baby,” Charlie spoke in a baby voice as she looked to Emmi who was too engrossed in getting her milk to pay attention to her mother. “She’s our last one and if she starts crawling then she’s growing up.” Charlie rubbed her back gently as she spoke.

“Well maybe we’ll just have to keep having babies then,” Brax said. “Fill this house with little Charlotte’s and Darryl’s.”

“And how are we supposed to do that now?” Charlie questioned, seeing Brax’s face sadden as he bowed his head. “Sorry,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I just meant that we can’t really have any more kids, can we?” Charlie exhaled, Brax having learnt that the chemo and medication he was taking had left him infertile.

“We froze a good lot of my swimmers,” Brax answered. “So it is actually still possible.”

“I guess,” Charlie bit her lip just as the door creaked open, Charlie quiet glad they were about to be interrupted, not really wanting to have the more children discussion. “Hey trouble what you doing out of bed?” Charlie questioned as Georgia walked into the room, Owlie in her hand.

“Just seeing,” Georgia said as she jumped up onto the bed and shoved her way in-between her parents. “You looking after daddy good?”

“I am.” Charlie answered as Georgia looked up at her father. She got onto her knees and put her hands softly against his cheeks, a smile forming on her face.

“Good,” Georgia grinned as one of her hands moved up so it was on his head. “Daddy when will your hair come back?”

“Soon sweetie,” Brax told her. “Now daddy doesn’t need any more chemotherapy it will start to grow back.”

“What colour?” Georgia wondered.

“Oh blue and purple stripes.” Brax answered, keeping a straight face as Georgia widened her eyes, before looking to her mother, as if seeking confirmation. Charlie nodded her head, playing along with Brax’s joke.

“Oh no daddy,” Georgia shook her head. “No daddy no.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Brax questioned.

“You can’t,” Georgia was so shocked she could hardly string her sentence together. “You can’t get...have....blue n purple....you can’t.”

Brax laughed at his daughter. “It’ll probably just grow back the same colour sweetheart.”

“So no blue n purple?” Georgia questioned.

“No.” Brax told her, laughing a little.

“Good,” Georgia gave a sigh of relief. “Now daddy,” Georgia sat back down in the bed, between her parents. “Tell me n Pickles a story.” Georgia instructed, sitting Owlie back on her knee as she looked up at him, waiting on him to start telling her a story.

Thanks so much :)

one hundred and fifty-nine

Charlie and Brax walked into the hotel room, Brax looking out the balcony door, seeing the rain was showing no signs of stopping. Brax had taken Charlie away for the weekend, hoping to reignite the intimacy in their relationship. It had been a little over seven months since they’d had sex, but after his last hospital visit when he’d been told he was now in remission and didn’t need to take anymore medication, he was keen to get back into having sex and didn’t want any of the kids interrupting their first time in over seven months. “Shame about the rain huh?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I don’t really intend on leaving the room all weekend so it can rain all its wants.” Brax murmured as he turned to face Charlie, a suggestive grin on his face.

“Getting a little ahead of yourself, are we not?” Charlie questioned. “What if you still can’t get it up?” Charlie gave Brax a cheeky grin, enjoying teasing him.

Brax didn’t look impressed. “I will can,” Brax said. “I’m not on the meds or getting chemo anymore and you are smoking hot so always get me excited any other time,” Brax told her, wrapping his arms around her waist, his hands going downwards and resting on her bottom. “I’m sure this weekend won’t be any different.”

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “And you are just under the impression here that I’d want to have sex with you, are we?” Charlie questioned, cocking her head to the side in a teasing manner as she ran her hand down his chest, before she cupped him.

“Mmm,” Brax gave a little moan of pleasure. “Don’t tease me.”

“No?” Charlie rubbed him a little. “Or what?” Charlie raised her eyebrows and Brax lightly spanked her bum.

“I might need to punish you.” Brax murmured, Charlie getting a grin on her face as she started to unbutton his shirt before they met in a kiss.

James had also taken April away for the weekend, hoping it would let her relax a little bit. After checking in at the hotel they’d gone into town to do a little shopping for the baby. They didn’t need to buy too much but wanted to get him a few new things, not wanting him to be always in hand-me-downs just because he was the third child. They’d decided to get him a new car seat and bouncy chair and April was keen to pick a coming home from the hospital outfit for him. They walked through the shop, James seeing a sadness in April’s eyes as she glanced at a little dress that was hanging on the rail. She quickened her pace and walked over to the boys’ clothes section of the shop, looking at all the little dungaree and t-shirt sets, knowing she’d find a lot of stuff she liked for her new son. She took a few different designed dungarees from the rail, putting them into the trolley. “Found his outfit already?” James questioned.

“No,” April answered as she put a pack of baby grows into the trolley. “But I was thinking, it would probably be easier if we bought a double buggy,” April said. “Leo is only going to be 18 months when he gets here so won’t be walking long distances and if we are ever out with the three of them but just one of us it won’t be easy to push two separate buggy’s, will it?”

“Nah I guess it won’t,” James exhaled, looking at a cute little blue dungaree suit, with a pirate on a desert island as the little picture, the words ‘Ahoy there’ writing in red thread, a little white and blue stripy t-shirt for underneath. “We can look at prams next,” James said. “What about this?” James showed it to her.

“It’s cute,” April smiled. “But it’s not his coming home outfit,” April said, still taking it from James’ grasp and putting it into the trolley, clearly still wanting to buy it. “This is it.” April took another from the rail, this one a soft tan in colour with a little monkey’s face on the front, a soft blue t-shirt to match for underneath and it even had little blue socks to keep his feet warm.

“Cute,” James gave a little smile. He didn’t understand why it was so important for her to have a going home outfit picked out but clearly it was something April thought was important so he went along with it, just like after Leo was born. “So, buggies?”

“Yeah,” April pushed the trolley as they walked through the baby shop. “You think Leo will be okay now?” April questioned. Leo had been less than happy that morning when he was dropped off at Bianca’s place, howling for his mother as they left the house. “Maybe I should call.” April went to take her phone from her bag but James stopped her.

“Bianca will call if she needs us,” James said. “He’ll be fine by now I am sure,” James exhaled as they continued to walk through the shop, over to the pram and buggy section. “And I think him being around Jessica for a longer amount of time will also be good,” James said. “He’s not sure about her and he needs to get used to a baby being around for when little man arrives.”

“Yeah I guess.” April muttered as she stopped pushing the trolley and looked at a pram/buggy combo.

“Can I help you with anything?” James looked around at the voice to see the sales assistant walking across. He explained to her what they were looking for as April continued to look at the prams, hoping to find the perfect one to keep her boys safe.

Ruby balanced a screaming Emmi on one hip as she pushed the buggy with her other hand into the diner. Georgia walked in behind her with her hands over her ears, Owlie being held in one of the hands, falling onto her face. “Oh dear Emmi,” Leah said as Ruby took a seat, sitting Emmi on her lap as she tried to shush her. Leah glanced at Georgia who looked less than pleased at the noise her sister was making, a less than impressed with her little sister look on her face. She put Owlie on the table before her hands went back over her ears. “What’s wrong with this one?”

“She won’t stop Leah,” Georgia said. “She won’t stop.”

“We’ve lost hippo,” Ruby said, turning Emmi on her knee so she was facing her sister and gently bouncing her up and down. “Shhh Emmi boo. Shhh.” Ruby said, trying her best to soothe her.

“Oh, what’s hippo?” Leah questioned.

“Her hippo,” Ruby replied like it was obvious. “You know, the teddy you got her when she was born,” Ruby answered. “Well we’ve lost it.”

“Where about?” Leah asked, running her hand gently over Emmi’s soft chocolate locks.

“If I knew that it wouldn’t be lost,” Ruby retorted, glaring up at Leah. “Are you alright today?” Ruby questioned, thinking Leah was asking some pretty dumb questions.

“Yeah,” Leah yawned. “Poppy was up sick most of the night. I’m a little sleep deprived.” Leah said.

“Ah,” Ruby pursed her lips. “Well I don’t remember the last place she had it,” Ruby said. “We walked in from the house so really it could be anywhere along that road.” The house was about a 10 minute drive from the bay, so of course walking would take a lot longer.

“Oh wow, Gee did you walk all that way?” Leah questioned. Georgia moved her hands from her ears as she nodded her head.

“And I not moan once.” Georgia grinned. She’d been promised a slice of cake and a milkshake if she behaved on the walk into town.

“No more like 6 hundred times,” Ruby muttered and Leah gave a little laugh before looking back to Emmi, the baby looking distraught without her beloved hippo. “Can you grab a bottle from the nappy bag?” Ruby questioned. Leah nodded as she opened the bag and took out a bottle. “Hopefully the fact it’s time for a feed will quieten her for a little while,” Ruby said, rubbing Emmi’s back as she continued to cry, Ruby getting a few looks from other customers. “And can we get two strawberry milkshakes and a slice of chocolate cake with two forks please.” Ruby ordered.

“Sure.” Leah smiled.

“A really really really big slice,” Georgia held her hands out as wide as she could. Leah laughed at the youngster before walking off to heat up the bottle and get the rest of their order. “Oh Pickles,” Georgia squealed at her sister. “Be quiet.”

“She can’t help it,” Ruby rubbed Emmi’s back as she continued to try to shush her. “You’d be sad if you lost Owlie, wouldn’t you?”

“I not lose Owlie.” Georgia pulled Owlie closer to her, like she was protecting it.

“I know you’ve not but if you did,” Ruby told her, Georgia shaking her head as she cuddled her precious Owlie close to her. “You’d be sad too, right?” Ruby questioned before turning around as she heard her name. “Evan, hey.” Ruby gave a weak smile. She hadn’t spoken to him in the few days since she left the apartment after he stormed off to the bedroom.

“Can uhm....can we talk?” Evan questioned.

“I uhm,” Ruby rubbed Emmi’s back as she was still crying. “I’m a little busy right now. Mum and Brax have gone away for the weekend and she’s lost her favourite teddy and I -”

“That little purple hippo, right?” Evan questioned and Ruby nodded, looking a little puzzled as Evan turned and walked out of the diner without saying another word.

Thanks Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments.

one hundred and sixty

Evan knocked on the door, taking a deep breath as Daniel answered. “Evan, come in,” Daniel let him in the house as Ruby appeared behind him in the hallway. Evan could still hear the cries from Emmi. “Still not got her to stop then?” Evan questioned as he walked into the living room, seeing Emmi in her bouncy chair, giving out cries as Georgia kept hitting the chair, making it rock. Owlie was sitting on top of Emmi, but she didn’t look like she cared it was there.

“Clearly.” Ruby sighed.

“Well it was very nice of you to give her Owlie.” Evan said, looking to Georgia.

“Oh no,” Georgia shook her head. “Just for a little bit.” Georgia said, wanting to make it clear Emmi wasn’t getting to keep Owlie.

“Well, I think I have something that might please Emmi,” Evan said, opening his gym bag and pulling out the little purple hippo. “Emmi, look.” Evan waved it in front of her. Emmi stared at it for a moment before reaching her hands out as her cries lessened. Evan put it in her hands, and Emmi got a smile on her face as her cries stopped.

“Yey.” Georgia cheered as she took Owlie back.

“Where did you find it?” Ruby questioned.

“About half way between the house and the bay,” Evan answered. “I came back to the diner but Leah said you’d just left to get the boys at school so I went to the gym then came out right after,” Evan said, looking to the boys were playing Xbox. “But she’s got it back and seems rather happy about it.” Evan said, smiling down at Emmi who was clutching onto hippo as she bounced happily in her chair.

“Yeah, thank you,” Ruby said. “I was about to take them all out to the shops to buy her another one.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“She’d probably know it wasn’t original hippo,” Evan mumbled. “Anyways eh.....can we talk?” Evan questioned, rubbing the back of his head as he spoke. Ruby glanced to the kids before she nodded, gesturing for Evan to follow her through to the kitchen. “I’m sorry,” Evan exhaled. “You were right to shoot down the idea of moving back in,” Evan said, moving a little closer to Ruby and taking her hands into his, rubbing his thumb over her hand. “It would have been too soon.”

Ruby gave him a weak smile. “I don’t want us to rush this,” Ruby exhaled. “I love you Evan and I want us to stay together so for now I.....I just think we are better to live apart for a while. We’d still be together, just not all the time, you know.”

“I know,” Evan told her. “And it’ll make the time we do spend together all the more special,” Evan said, moving his hand up her arm. “But one day, right?”

“Yeah of course,” Ruby said, her arms wrapping around Evan as she pulled him closer to her and placed a kiss on his lips. “You want to stay for dinner?” Ruby questioned. “Maybe even the night?” Ruby raised her eyebrows suggestively as she ran her hand over his chest.

“Could make it the weekend,” Evan suggested. “I can help you out with the kids,” Evan told her. “You said your parents were away for the weekend, right?”

“Yeah they are,” Ruby exhaled. “Uhm....yeah, you can stay. Help with them would be good and I’m sure the boys will love you being here.”

“Cool.” Evan smiled before leaning in an placing a kiss on her lips, Ruby smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as they wrapped their arms around each other.

Charlie and Brax were lying in bed, both of them having just woken up. “What time is it?” Charlie questioned. It was weird not having Emmi’s cries or Georgia coming running into the room in the morning.

“Just gone 8.” Brax answered as Charlie turned to her side in the bed and put her hand on his chest, her fingers tracing over his tattoo.

“We don’t need to get up for anything,” Charlie smiled as she leaned her head in and soft kissed Brax’s peck. “We can just lie here all day.”

“If we are going to be in bed all day we won’t just be lying here sweetheart,” Brax said, his arm wrapping around her and rubbed her arm gently. “We have seven months of catching up to do and last night’s antics barely scratched the surface.” Brax and Charlie had been intimate on more than one occasion since arriving at the hotel.

Charlie grinned as she looked up at Brax. “We did promise we’d phone the kids at breakfast.” Charlie mumbled.

“It’s a Saturday love,” Brax told her. “They won’t be up yet.”

“I see,” Charlie exhaled. “And I suppose you have something in mind to pass the time?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a little nod as he grinned, leaning his head in and capturing her lips with his. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as Brax pulled her closer to their bodies were pressed together.

April and James had decided to spend the day at the aquarium. They were standing in front of one of the big windows, James behind April as his arms were wrapped around her, resting on her bump. He placed a soft kiss in the crook of her neck as they watched the fish swimming around. “That’s us.” James said as a pair of Angelfish swam passed them.

“Really?” April questioned. “We’re fish?”

“Not just any fish,” James answered. “Angelfish,” James told her. “They meet their partner and then mate for life. One never leaving one’s side again.” James kissed her neck again.

“I’d rather that was us.” April said, pointing down to a seahorse that was hanging about at the bottom of the tank.”

“Really?” James questioned.

“Yeah, well the male seahorses carry the babies so you’d be fat and uncomfortable right now and not me.” April murmured as her hands went over James’, his hands still being on her bump.

“You are not fat,” James told her. “You are pregnant and there is a difference.”

“I feel fat,” April told him as they felt the baby kicking. “Oh I think little man is telling us he wants to go see the penguins.” April said, this where April wanted to go to most in the aquarium, April really liking the animal.

“The penguins huh?” James pulled back from April, but took her hand in his as they started walking out of the area they were in and made their way to the Penguin Playground. “Well if that’s where little man wants to go,” James said as they walked through the aquarium. “Hey, we should buy the boys a gift from the gift shop.”

“Oh yeah sorry mummy and daddy went to the aquarium without you but here, have a souvenir from the place.” April mumbled.

“They’ll love a new toy or teddy,” James told her. “And we can take them to the one in Sydney soon but they’ll learn that sometimes mummy and daddy need some days like his without them.” James said, April pursing her lips as she nodded.

“I’m just going to go in here since we are walking past them,” April said, pointing to the toilets. “Won’t be long.” April told him, their hands parting as she walked away from him and into the toilets. She exhaled lightly as she locked the cubical. She was missing the boys but she knew James was right and that they needed some alone time together and she was having a good time, able to forget about her mother and concentrate on what was important which was James and her boys.

Archived